PDA

View Full Version : Passing

Purple Floyd
10-22-2013, 12:10 AM
ESPN just said it was the lowest completion percentage since 2007.

Tad7
10-22-2013, 12:14 AM
Also

Josh Freeman becomes 2nd QB since 1960 to attempt 50 passes for 0 TD and under 200 Yds. Dave Brown (1995) was the other.

Purple Floyd
10-22-2013, 12:51 AM
16 overthrows by Freeman. The most by a QB since they started keeping the stats.

Reignman
10-22-2013, 04:34 AM
Oh man, only this franchise could find someone worse than Ponder to replace Ponder.

purpledoom
10-22-2013, 08:50 AM
The kids been here, what two weeks ? Personally I feel kind of sorry for him, he's got to be thinking what the He** did I get myself into?

i_bleed_purple
10-22-2013, 09:10 AM
The kids been here, what two weeks ? Personally I feel kind of sorry for him, he's got to be thinking what the He** did I get myself into?

yup.

Him playing, IMO means the coaches have written off the season already.

had we won, we'd be a game and a half out of first int he division. Even still, we're 2.5 games out.

drewlovs
10-22-2013, 01:07 PM
We ran AP 14 times ALL GAME. Any other team would have fired the OC after calling that many pass plays, even though we were down (BY TWO FRIKKIN SCORES ONLY!!).

"We didn't get our run game established." What as asinine thing to say when you tried it 3-4 times tops then asked the new guy to throw it 50 times. I have news for the OC... THE PASS GAME NEVER GOT ESTABLISHED EITHER. Why the hell did we stick with THAT??

Basically, what Musgrave said is, "AP can't win this for us, let's go with the guy who doesn't even know our playbook."

WHY IS HE STILL EMPLOYED??? When you get the ESPN analysts speechless, you really have screwed the pooch.

drewlovs
10-22-2013, 01:14 PM
I once saw an episode of "Restaurant Stakeout", when they have hidden cameras in a eatery to find out why there are problems. This episode had a sous chef sabotaging the head chef's attempts to make good food, because he wanted the job. He went so far as throwing vinegar into soup a culinary critic was about to eat.

That's what this game felt like...someone did NOT want to see us succeed last night. It is either outright stupidity or sabotage. You make the call.

I cannot think of a single reason we had Josh throw pass numbers 30-50. It was obvious he was not ready, and at that point, AP should have been handed the ball every play. If it means 3 and outs, then at least it DOESN'T mean interceptions!!

singersp
10-23-2013, 06:08 AM

The 'kid' has thrown over 2,000 passes in his career & started 60 games. Twice what Ponder has. At some point people got to start thinking the reason he's throwing the ball too high might have something to do with the QB maybe not being that good.

purpledoom
10-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Well I guess he's a kid to me, just an age reference I suppose. He has shown at times he has talent, what has happened in the last year or two who the heck knows. I don't think that as bad as he truly was you can just start over agaaain. Give him another shot or two, heck the seasons shot in the ass anyway. Saddest thing to me is this kid that Buffalo's starting that came off the practice squad looks as good or even better than any of our qbs.

purplehelmut
10-23-2013, 12:23 PM
The 'kid' has thrown over 2,000 passes in his career & started 60 games. Twice what Ponder has. At some point people got to start thinking the reason he's throwing the ball too high might have something to do with the QB maybe not being that good.

I agree. Even if the guy wasn't an expert on the offense he was missing pitch and catch passes by a mile. Too amped up maybe but more likely a not heady player that let the moment overwhelm him. Too early to write him off but an inauspicious start. Better bring something to the disaster that is shaping up to be the Green Bay game. Maybe he'll put it all together and rally the troops to an unlikely victory over the best team in the NFC North. Right.....

drewlovs
10-23-2013, 01:55 PM
How anyone can draw conclusions based off that shit-burger of a game last Monday is beyond me. It told us NOTHING we didn't already know.

i_bleed_purple
10-23-2013, 03:53 PM
How anyone can draw conclusions based off that shit-burger of a game last Monday is beyond me. It told us NOTHING we didn't already know.

not true.

I knew our coaching was bad. I didn't know it was THAT bad.

marstc09
10-23-2013, 11:44 PM

This. People act like he is a rookie. Overthrows have nothing to do with being in sync with WRs and learning the system. He was atrocious. I was screaming for Ponder back. It was sad.

RK.
10-24-2013, 12:50 AM
Well at least next year we will be playing on a college field which is where this team belongs. Maybe we can file a bullying complaint against the Packers next week. LOL

Purple Floyd
10-24-2013, 08:41 AM
They may want to stay in Mankato where the coaching talent they face may be more in their league

purpledoom
10-28-2013, 09:57 AM
This. People act like he is a rookie. Overthrows have nothing to do with being in sync with WRs and learning the system. He was atrocious. I was screaming for Ponder back. It was sad.

Well you got Ponder back last night. We did score but you have to admit Ponder is not good. The whole situation is laughable.

i_bleed_purple
10-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Well you got Ponder back last night. We did score but you have to admit Ponder is not good. The whole situation is laughable.

Yup.

Why is Cassel still on the bench?

purpledoom
10-28-2013, 10:30 AM
I have no clue. Ponder is just lost out there.

MaxVike
10-28-2013, 10:35 AM

Collinsworth, for once, called it like it is. Ponder missed at least half a dozen throws/reads, maybe more. He looked more lost last night than perhaps ever. This team is on a locomotive to 1-15.

i_bleed_purple
10-28-2013, 10:36 AM

Yup, The guy cannot see his receivers. He can't find the open guy, and doesn't trust himself to pull the trigger.

Let's put it this way, I'd rather have Tarvaris Jackson back than have Ponder play one more snap. Can we trade straight up?

i_bleed_purple
10-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Collinsworth, for once, called it like it is. Ponder missed at least half a dozen throws/reads, maybe more. He looked more lost last night than perhaps ever. This team is on a locomotive to 1-15.

Ponder's play is definitely an indication that Stats don't tell the story.

14/21, 125 yards on paper looks like he was not asked to do much, hand the ball off and not cause turnovers, which he did.

But watching the game, it was much worse. What We saw was a few dumpoff passes well behind the first down marker, long passes with PI called that didn't count as incompletions towards the percentage, staring down his primary receiver, missing open receivers, missing the throws when he found open receivers.

His play may have been the worst all year not counting Freemans game last week.

purplehelmut
10-28-2013, 10:59 AM
If Ponder's primary isn't open he brings it down and runs with it. He simply doesn't see the field or what is happening on a given play, let alone read coverages and formations. Certainly our crap OL isn't helping. Time to cut him loose now as in trade to someone who needs a backup. But given what he's shown and our FO ineptness it probably won't happen. The rest of this year should be played with an eye on next.

i_bleed_purple
10-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Ponder: "I already got benched, it can't get worse"

Sorry Christian, it just got worse.

A disclaimer for the Ponder apologists out there, I wanted Ponder to succeed, I really did. It is now obvious that Ponder is not the answer for the rest of the season, or the future.

No, it's not all Ponder's fault we lost, our Defense is just awful, but sustaining a couple drives means that Rodgers isn't on the field. We ran 3 plays in the third quarter. That is just pitiful.

jargomcfargo
10-28-2013, 11:46 AM
Ponder is simply freaked out on passing plays, like a cat riding in a car. He freaks and flight heavily outweighs fight. He appears to have no ability to remain calm under pressure. At this point I'm wondering if that is the reason they coddled him so much by not allowing him to have any competition until now.
I would like to see a calm but aggressive QB for a change.

tastywaves
10-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Ponder is simply freaked out on passing plays, like a cat riding in a car. He freaks and flight heavily outweighs fight. He appears to have no ability to remain calm under pressure. At this point I'm wondering if that is the reason they coddled him so much by not allowing him to have any competition until now.
I would like to see a calm but aggressive QB for a change.

Freeman looked calm and aggressive, he just wasn't able to get the ball to go where he wanted it to.

That may have been the worse I've seen Ponder look yet, and that is saying quite a bit. I don't know if you can ever come back from playing scared.

Cassell probably gives us the best chance to win at this point, but we might as well ride Freeman for the rest of the year or until his next brain freeze to cement Spielman's place in this mess.

Reignman
10-28-2013, 03:32 PM
Collinsworth, for once, called it like it is. Ponder missed at least half a dozen throws/reads, maybe more. He looked more lost last night than perhaps ever. This team is on a locomotive to 1-15.Collinsworth had the best line last night when he said, "that seems to be his 2nd read (to run) when his 1st read isn't open". Every announcer this season has ripped Ponder.