PDA

View Full Version : Josh Freeman picks the Vikings

pro1ml
10-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Being reported all over Twitter he chose the Vikings. I am happy we went out to get this guy.

SharperImage
10-06-2013, 10:36 PM
Yes!! Yes!! Yes!!

Randy Moss
10-06-2013, 10:37 PM
Great pickup. I'm excited about this. Although it will be interesting to see how long it take before he can start.

Tad7
10-06-2013, 10:38 PM
Wow!

So what does that mean for this season?

pro1ml
10-06-2013, 10:41 PM
I would give Cassel one more start then let Freeman take over. Jay glazer claims Vikings wanted a 2 yr deal but Josh only wanted 1 so it's just a 1 year deal. Hopefully he justifies a long term deal this offseason.

Culpepper_4717
10-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Great..
http://d3fsqtc6sy2z27.cloudfront.net/uploads/2523b434c7a92596ad9ec1b04119d8c6_large

drewlovs
10-06-2013, 10:45 PM
I'm speechless. All I can say is we have a LOT of "glass is half full" fans.

The guy skipped the team photo for the Buccs because either:
1) he was mad at the coach, or
2) he was mad the team didn't pick him to be a captain.

Either way, perfect "leader" material for our team, eh? Oh well, maybe Ponder can give him a few tips. As for all you optimists, I applaud you, you are better people than I. There are only so many rolls of the dice I can take as a fan.

That's all I got for now, I'll go vomit then off to bed.

kevoncox
10-06-2013, 10:47 PM
I have huge issues with this and I would take Cassell over this kid all day.

Lets check his record.
1 - Never won in high school
2 - Majority of his wins in college was 1AA teams. Lost every game his final year to Division 1 teams ( i think)
3 - Had 1 good season where his teams played a bunch of nobodies.
4 - Had this season to forget
5 - Will not start as it takes time to get fully up to speed with a playbook.
6 - Whats the point of the 1 year deal?

marstc09
10-06-2013, 10:48 PM
I feel bad for Cassel

Tad7
10-06-2013, 10:51 PM
Cassel has to start against Carolina, right?

So what if he has another good game and puts up a W?

I kind wanted to see where he could take this.

VKG4LFE
10-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Stupid stupid stupid move. This guy is actually worse than Ponder. And what the heck is wrong with giving Cassel a chance. This is why our franchise is the punchline of so many jokes.

pro1ml
10-06-2013, 10:53 PM
Greg Jennings seems excited about the move.....

Welcome aboard Josh! RT @nfl: Josh Freeman, Vikings agree to one-year deal (per @RapSheet): on.nfl.com/1fTQ9Gt

VKG4LFE
10-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Did I mention he's lead the league in picks since 2011 with 42, ugh!

Mr Anderson
10-06-2013, 11:04 PM
I think this is a great move...for Josh Freeman. He can't lose. He'll come in and get a chance to show his skills on a pretty talented offense. If he looks bad no one will think any less of him. If he looks good, he'll elevate his value as a free agent in the spring.

For the Vikings , I'm not really sure what the plan is. There's 3 QBs on the roster who are capable of starting, none of which are very good, one of which is quite bad.

At least no one can call him noodle armed?

jmcdon00
10-06-2013, 11:07 PM
The downside is that we wasted 3million and a roster spot for 1 season. The upside is that we got a young franchise QB for cheap.

I like this move.

idahovikefan7
10-06-2013, 11:31 PM
Not a fan of this. As bad as Ponder has been, what has Freeman done?

What was the point of picking up cassel this offseason? Cassel gets his first chance to start this season and leads the vikes to their first win. Why not give him the chance?

kevoncox
10-06-2013, 11:32 PM
The downside is that we wasted 3million and a roster spot for 1 season. The upside is that we got a young franchise QB for cheap.

I like this move.

I agree. We wasted no draft picks and basically took a looks see. If he is the real deal... we sign him... If not.. He walks and we draft a rookie

kevoncox
10-06-2013, 11:36 PM
Not a fan of this. As bad as Ponder has been, what has Freeman done?

What was the point of picking up cassel this offseason? Cassel gets his first chance to start this season and leads the vikes to their first win. Why not give him the chance?

He's better than Ponder

Tad7
10-06-2013, 11:44 PM
Cassel gets his first chance to start this season and leads the vikes to their first win. Why not give him the chance?
This is my main question.

If Cassel plays well in a 2nd consecutive win, you can't possibly just pull the plug on that.

kevoncox
10-06-2013, 11:53 PM
This is my main question.

If Cassel plays well in a 2nd consecutive win, you can't possibly just pull the plug on that.

I think Cassell is still the go to guy but You can't not take a chance to aquire this guy.

RK.
10-07-2013, 12:34 AM
I would not be surprised to see Ponder on IR list soon. Cassel will QB until Freeman is ready to play. The upside to Freeman is he is young and if he pulls it together could be our QB for a long time. Cassel was signed as a backup and will continue to fill that roll. Stick a fork in Ponder his days are done here.

mountainviking
10-07-2013, 01:24 AM
At least they've figured it out that our QB situation is far from resolved.

one of the 3 QBs currently on the roster has to go to make room tho...and at this point, I think I'd rather see more of MBT than Ponder...?

Mark_The_Viking
10-07-2013, 02:01 AM
Horrible decision and once again the Vikings show their complete inability to resolve a QB situation. We go from bad to worse to bad again

vikesrgreat2
10-07-2013, 05:26 AM
Josh Freeman ws my fantasy football QB 2 years ago. He was OK, though not exceptional. Still, I think this move is a fine one if we want to be competitive with Green Bay, Detroit, and Chicago. Short-term, this move makes sense for me.

However, I still think we need to draft the best available QB in round 1 of the 2014 NFL draft. I'm hoping Tajh Boys will be there when the Vikings draft. He looked really good against Syracuse!

ConnecticutViking
10-07-2013, 06:12 AM
The fact that it has taken the organization this long to see that Ponder isn't good is unacceptable. Freeman is probably the best choice for now, but he can't be the option for the future.

Purple Floyd
10-07-2013, 06:44 AM
This was the absolute stupidest frisking thing I have ever seen this franchise do and that says a lot considering the stupid things that have made this team a punch line in the media over the years.

Think about this:

He is not good,
his numbers are no better than Cassels
They just paid him more than Cassel
We have played 25% of the games already and he hasn't taken a snap which means their only plan for him is next year and there are at least 8 QBs in the draft with the talent he has that would be cheap to sign and have more upside.

Team chemistry- what does this do to the locker room now that we have come this far with who we have and finally won a game?

Whatever I said in the past to get myself the title of company yes man I take it back because this is without a doubt the single worst front office in the league and if you disagree remember- this year we have been beaten by the worst 2 teams in the league over the past 25 years in the browns and lions.

Stupid ass front office. Screw you.

singersp
10-07-2013, 06:48 AM
Vikings Give Nonsensical Statement On Josh Freeman Signing

Vikings Give Nonsensical Statement On Josh Freeman Signing - The Viking Age - A Minnesota Vikings Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more. (http://thevikingage.com/2013/10/07/vikings-give-nonsensical-statement-josh-freeman-signing/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Around)

singersp
10-07-2013, 06:48 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/singersp82759/Christian-Ponder2_zpsac67a635.jpg (http://s16.photobucket.com/user/singersp82759/media/Christian-Ponder2_zpsac67a635.jpg.html)

singersp
10-07-2013, 07:17 AM
Not so sure of this move myself, although the positive is that they appear to have moved past Ponder & it's only a 1 year deal.

2013 Passes greater than 10 yards;

Freeman: 27%
Cassel: 50%
Ponder: 39%

2012 Passes greater than 10 yards;

Freeman: 41%
Cassel: 38%
Ponder: 40%

Freeman: 40%
Ponder: 37%

El Vikingo
10-07-2013, 07:52 AM
The Chilly s shadow is looong...I ve had enough of the Gus Frerottes on the league

NodakPaul
10-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Not so sure of this move myself, although the positive is that they appear to have moved past Ponder & it's only a 1 year deal.

2013 Passes greater than 10 yards;

Freeman: 27%
Cassel: 50%
Ponder: 39%

Freeman: 41%
Ponder: 40%

Freeman: 40%
Ponder: 37%

To add to that:

2012 Pass Attempts greater than 10 yards;

Freeman: 210 (37.6% of total attempts)
Cassel: (33.2% of total attempts)
Ponder: 129 (26.7% of total attempts)

Freeman and Cassel both put the ball downfield a helluva lot more than Ponder ever did, and they do so with better accuracy too. I don't think either one of them is the QB of the future, but I think both are better than Ponder.

vikinggreg
10-07-2013, 08:38 AM

I like this move.I think that was the last of the cap room for this season too....Winfield won't be coming back

Randy Moss
10-07-2013, 08:59 AM
The more I think about, the more I like this decision. Freeman has a ton of potential and is an immediate and huge upgrade over any QB on our roster. This gives us the ability to draft the best player available next year rather than having to reach for a QB (we all know how well that worked out last time). The chances of the third best QB in the draft, which is likely what we would get, being as good as Freeman is really, really low. If the best QB is still there and has a good chance to be "the answer" we take him anyway. At least we have options now.

kevoncox
10-07-2013, 09:01 AM
At first when I heard the news I thought it was a horrible move. I reacted like many of you have reacted. However, I slept on it and I realize that this is a great move. Here's why.

1) We have given AP a QB that threw for 4000 yards and 27 TDs last season. Not 3 seasons ago, not possibly could throw for 4000. He did it. That shows me there is talent there. People keep harping on his ints and completion percentage but fail to realize he played for a deep ball offense. He didn't play on the safe 2 yard pass offense that we run. His numbers are going to trend up because we don't throw the ball as far as he was before. The longer the pass the great the chance of a breakup.

2) He has 9 fourth quarter comebacks, 10 game-winning drives. Do we have a QB on record with a 4th quarter comeback. Hell Ponder might be the inverse of this. The 4th quarter blown game.

3) He has accomplished these stats without facing the advantageous coverages that AP will get him. I don't know if you guys realize but the coverages that our team faces are very simple to beat for a true NFL QB. ( they are still complex compared to shit I have seen but NFL QBs should be wishing they could know that a safety is going to be in the box on every play. It opens up the field in ways Freeman has never seen. Ponder's numbers would be worst without Peterson. Think about that for a second.

4) We got ourselves a young former 1st round pick QB for nothing. If we can put some lipstiq on this pig and turn it into a lady, it could be the steal of the decade. We didn't have to trade for shit. Think about it Flynn was traded for, Foles and Cousin are probably going to demand a high draft pick. We got a player as good as any of them and better than Flynn for nothing.

5) We are risk free. We bring him in, he sucks, he walks. He plays well, we sign him. Either way, Cassell and Freeman will give us a QB option we haven't had since Favre left.

6) The Ponder experiment is over.

kevoncox
10-07-2013, 09:04 AM
The more I think about, the more I like this decision. Freeman has a ton of potential and is an immediate and huge upgrade over any QB on our roster. This gives us the ability to draft the best player available next year rather than having to reach for a QB (we all know how well that worked out last time). The chances of the third best QB in the draft, which is likely what we would get, being as good as Freeman is really, really low. If the best QB is still there and has a good chance to be "the answer" we take him anyway. At least we have options now.

Agreed,
With this guy we don't have to wait 3 years for him to develop. We can draft another corner high and finally have something that looks like an NFL DB. Ship Chris Cook out..

Mr Anderson
10-07-2013, 09:39 AM
The guy is talented for sure. I just question the timing.

I guess it was a now or never kind of thing.

i_bleed_purple
10-07-2013, 09:51 AM
To put a positive spin on it...

It will be nice to have a guy who can throw an out route without being a pick-six

tastywaves
10-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Not a big fan of Freeman never have been. The guy has talent, but he's always struggled with the area between his ears. My first job out of college an old fellar told me this place may not drive you to drink, but if you do drink this place will make you a drunk. The Vikings seem to have a similar influence. Going back to college, and if you ask K-State fans I think they will tell you they never felt real comfortable with this guy.

That being said, I can understand the move. Pretty much ices Ponder's future I would guess, unless Frazier is still claiming he's our QB :rofl:

It's only a 1 year contract, so...does that mean the FO will push to see him play to see what he can offer or do they stay with Cassell if he continues to lead the team to victories. And who's call is it, Frazier or the FO? It seems Frazier is losing more and more control over decisions.

If next year means we have a QB roster of Cassell, Freeman and a drafted QB then it would be hard to argue that we didn't improve our talent at the QB position. That is assuming that Freeman shows enough to warrant a second year and that we can actually sign him to 2 year'ish type deal without having to proclaim him our franchise QB and make it a long term high dollar deal. If the latter, then I think the purple futility just enters another chapter of misery.

kevoncox
10-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Not a big fan of Freeman never have been. The guy has talent, but he's always struggled with the area between his ears. My first job out of college an old fellar told me this place may not drive you to drink, but if you do drink this place will make you a drunk. The Vikings seem to have a similar influence. Going back to college, and if you ask K-State fans I think they will tell you they never felt real comfortable with this guy.

That being said, I can understand the move. Pretty much ices Ponder's future I would guess, unless Frazier is still claiming he's our QB :rofl:

It's only a 1 year contract, so...does that mean the FO will push to see him play to see what he can offer or do they stay with Cassell if he continues to lead the team to victories. And who's call is it, Frazier or the FO? It seems Frazier is losing more and more control over decisions.

If next year means we have a QB roster of Cassell, Freeman and a drafted QB then it would be hard to argue that we didn't improve our talent at the QB position. That is assuming that Freeman shows enough to warrant a second year and that we can actually sign him to 2 year'ish type deal without having to proclaim him our franchise QB and make it a long term high dollar deal. If the latter, then I think the purple futility just enters another chapter of misery.

You are always the voice of reason but I don't always agree with you. I'm a K-State fan and I wasn't sold on the kid. He has to tools but he needed a coach to bring it out of him. Yet, I think this is a good fit for him. Morris was too lax and the other guy too strict.

tastywaves
10-07-2013, 10:29 AM
You are always the voice of reason but I don't always agree with you. I'm a K-State fan and I wasn't sold on the kid. He has to tools but he needed a coach to bring it out of him. Yet, I think this is a good fit for him. Morris was too lax and the other guy too strict.

It seems more and more of your posts to me are starting out with that sentence :D

IMO, Freeman is one of those athletes that you want to believe in because he shows all the physical talents, but he never seems to be able to elevate his team enough to matter. He is clearly more proven than Ponder and is statistically pretty close to Cassell with age on his side. So again, I'm not against the move, I just hope we don't get fooled into thinking this guy is going to take us to the promised land or we may have another 5-6 years of mediocre football.

jargomcfargo
10-07-2013, 10:44 AM
I was nosing around and found some analysis of Freeman against the Pats. They said Freeman played better than his stats showed but still had the familiar tendencies such as a lack of accuracy in his throws, slow in his drop backs, and slow in his reads.
Sounds familiar doesn't it ?

Josh Freeman's game film against Patriots tells a different story from his statistics - Bucs Nation (http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/9/24/4767034/josh-freemans-game-film-against-patriots-tells-a-different-story-from?utm_source=bucsnation&utm_medium=nextclicks&utm_campaign=blogs)

mountainviking
10-07-2013, 10:50 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/singersp82759/Christian-Ponder2_zpsac67a635.jpg (http://s16.photobucket.com/user/singersp82759/media/Christian-Ponder2_zpsac67a635.jpg.html)

LOL! Buh-Bye!?! ;)

Hey Singer, where did you get those numbers? How do they compare with the top 3 or 4 guys in the league? Brady, Rodgers, Brees and/or Peyton...

I don't see this as a bad move at all. 3 mil is nothing to the Wilfs and it didn't cost us any draft picks to bring in another veteran who is a former first round pick. Low risk, possible reward. He's young enough to get better and return to those 2010 numbers where he completed 61.4% for over a 7 yard average and an awesome 26/6 TDs/INTs ratio. In comparison, Ponder's average per pass is a full yard less and his best TD/INT ratio was 18/12.

I hope that Ponder stays on the sits for a few more weeks, and that we get to see what Cassel can do in another game or two, and then we play Freeman, after he's had a chance to acclimate to the new scheme and team.

We pretty much know Ponder is not the guy, he just doesn't seem to have the mental makeup to LEAD a team to play their best. Maybe Cassel and/or Freeman can be the guy, and this season is starting to look like a wash anyway...hopefully, at least we find out more about what this team can do with some other options at QB who can bring a little more downfield game to the field. We can still draft a QB early and groom him behind one or both of these guys...assuming, that we're pretty sure that MBT isn't that guy.

Purple Floyd
10-07-2013, 11:10 AM
I have never been a fan of his but when the news was trending I decided to go to ewetoob and look at his highlights to see if there was something there that I was missing and to me it was sorta like watching the McNabb hysteria all over again. And the reason for that was I saw a lot of the same things in Freeman's Mechanics that were there in McChunky.

He does not step into his throws and he is consistently pulling his right foot, which should be planted and driving the ball forward and leaving his left foot as the only contact with the ground. This footwork requires all of the force for the throw to come from his upper body and it causes him to not have consistent accuracy on his throws. He also has a slow release reminiscent of Leftwich, although not as exaggerated it is there. I did see a few passes where he did step into the throw and those passes were very good but those mechanical issues are not going to go away by changing the color of his uniform and the coaches track record of watching tape and fixing things is a complete failure.

Someone can go ahead and bookmark this but I am going to come right out and say this move is going to come back and bite the franchise in the ass. He will never be anything we can't get from Cassel and he isn't going to fix this season. Plus next season there are 8 QB's in the draft with every bit as much upside as he has and they would be cheaper.Just remember this thread when the excitement turns to excrement.

kevoncox
10-07-2013, 11:41 AM
I have never been a fan of his but when the news was trending I decided to go to ewetoob and look at his highlights to see if there was something there that I was missing and to me it was sorta like watching the McNabb hysteria all over again. And the reason for that was I saw a lot of the same things in Freeman's Mechanics that were there in McChunky.

He does not step into his throws and he is consistently pulling his right foot, which should be planted and driving the ball forward and leaving his left foot as the only contact with the ground. This footwork requires all of the force for the throw to come from his upper body and it causes him to not have consistent accuracy on his throws. He also has a slow release reminiscent of Leftwich, although not as exaggerated it is there. I did see a few passes where he did step into the throw and those passes were very good but those mechanical issues are not going to go away by changing the color of his uniform and the coaches track record of watching tape and fixing things is a complete failure.

Someone can go ahead and bookmark this but I am going to come right out and say this move is going to come back and bite the franchise in the ass. He will never be anything we can't get from Cassel and he isn't going to fix this season. Plus next season there are 8 QB's in the draft with every bit as much upside as he has and they would be cheaper.Just remember this thread when the excitement turns to excrement.

I saw the complete opposite. I saw a QB that stands tall in the pocket and steps into his throw when he is able to.

purplehelmut
10-07-2013, 12:02 PM
It looks like due to injury, lack of progress, or whatever, that Ponder is out of the equation for no. 1 qb. Maybe he will be demoted to number 3. That gives Cassell the opportunity to win or lose the job over the next two or three games. In the meantime we sign a qb, Freeman, with healthy upside potential for pretty much nothing and give him a few weeks to acclimate. Maybe we put MBT on the practice squad or cut him- doesn't really matter. The Vikings will have three qbs on the roster for the rest of the 2013-14 season that actually have experience. Much upside potential and little downside risk make the Freeman signing a good move. Maybe, unlike such signings in the past, this is our time to catch lightning in a bottle.

Purple Floyd
10-07-2013, 01:13 PM
I saw the complete opposite. I saw a QB that stands tall in the pocket and steps into his throw when he is able to.
Show me where. maybe I missed it. You are telling me he is planting his back foot and not lifting it before the throw?

mountainviking
10-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Well, in that highlight reel a few posts back, he sure looks to have a hell of a lot more zip on his passes than Ponder does...roughly twice the arm strength, and I'd say way more accuracy on deep balls too. Perhaps, he's less accurate on the shorter throws, cuz his completion % is only a lil bit better, but at least he is connecting on some down field throws.

drewlovs
10-07-2013, 02:04 PM
At this moment, we have the team to... make it to the Super Bowl? NO. But they could return the the playoffs with the right leadership. This year, we need a guy who can protect AD's running lanes by beating defenses when they try to overload the box, and INSPIRE the rest of the team to buy into the system.

Anyone think Freeman can do this any better than Ponder?

Will he show up on time to team meeting?
Hell, will he show up to the team PHOTO?
Will he even CARE??
He is young, and has the Randy Moss complex: I am more important than YOU. Can the Vikings get him to buy in like Chris Carter did so long ago? But last of all, why is it the vikings always seem to take these types of chances?? Can't we just build a team like everyone else? Farve, McNabb, Cunningham, etc.

Ponder seems like the only time then went conventional, and it was a bust. But that doesn't mean you quit!!

ConnecticutViking
10-07-2013, 02:05 PM
I tend to agree with this article...Freeman is better than Ponder, but about the same as Cassel and I think he will be a failure here too. We will see...
http://http://sports.yahoo.com/news/five-reasons-josh-freeman-not-succeed-minnesota-vikings-140900652--nfl.html

kevoncox
10-07-2013, 03:07 PM
Show me where. maybe I missed it. You are telling me he is planting his back foot and not lifting it before the throw?

He is lifting it as he throws. I am seeing both feet planted, the transition of power from the hips and the forward movement that lifts his his back leg that signifies the step into the throw. That's just the legs. Every throw he is going forward. No drfiting back, no drifting sideways (only when having to) simply stepping up and delivering the ball with a tight quick release. Point of release is a the desired 3/4 point. Nothing above the head like Leftrich ( not sure about why you think other). Ball is coming out at the right above ear holes.

Ranger
10-07-2013, 04:38 PM
He's only six months older than Ponder, and has a lot more arm talent. He's young enough to fix his footwork, provided we have the staff capable of working on that stuff.

RK.
10-07-2013, 04:46 PM
From what i read there was a personality problem between Freeman and the Buc's coach which may have accounted for much of his attitude problems. At the same time the failure of our QB's of late may not lie with the QB's but rather the game planning and coaching. Its hard to tell if the game calling is because Ponder just sucked or whether Ponder sucked because of the game planning. Or maybe they both just suck. LOL

kingpin9995
10-07-2013, 04:53 PM
From what i read there was a personality problem between Freeman and the Buc's coach which may have accounted for much of his attitude problems. At the same time the failure of our QB's of late may not lie with the QB's but rather the game planning and coaching. Its hard to tell if the game calling is because Ponder just sucked or whether Ponder sucked because of the game planning. Or maybe they both just suck. LOL

Some are talking in here as if they are going to teach this kid the offense and MAYBE give him a shot. Now let's look at this deal. It's a one year deal. Do you really think they are going to give Josh 3 million to sit and learn an offense when he will be a free agent after the season? Wake up kids. I would not be too surprised if you see Freeman starting on Sunday. It's the reason he only would do a one year deal. He has already been given the starter slot based on his contract, the length of it, and the logic of it. No GM is going to go out and take a teams starter, pay him 3 million, and then let him sit on the bench and learn while the clock is ticking to his free agency. Get used to the new starting quarterback of the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday , Josh Freeman.

Ranger
10-07-2013, 04:58 PM
I think they want him to get a few weeks to learn a whole new offense before throwing him out there. If he's much better than Cassel or Ponder in practice, that might be telling for the front office as well.

El Vikingo
10-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Some are talking in here as if they are going to teach this kid the offense and MAYBE give him a shot. Now let's look at this deal. It's a one year deal. Do you really think they are going to give Josh 3 million to sit and learn an offense when he will be a free agent after the season? Wake up kids. I would not be too surprised if you see Freeman starting on Sunday. It's the reason he only would do a one year deal. He has already been given the starter slot based on his contract, the length of it, and the logic of it. No GM is going to go out and take a teams starter, pay him 3 million, and then let him sit on the bench and learn while the clock is ticking to his free agency. Get used to the new starting quarterback of the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday , Josh Freeman.

Your clearly underating the idiocy of our GM and FO.

Lippythelion69
10-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Did I mention he's lead the league in picks since 2011 with 42, ugh!really he beat Sanchez
?

midgensa
10-07-2013, 05:32 PM
I have huge issues with this and I would take Cassell over this kid all day.

Lets check his record.
1 - Never won in high school
2 - Majority of his wins in college was 1AA teams. Lost every game his final year to Division 1 teams ( i think)
3 - Had 1 good season where his teams played a bunch of nobodies.
4 - Had this season to forget
5 - Will not start as it takes time to get fully up to speed with a playbook.
6 - Whats the point of the 1 year deal?

C'mon ... are you just making up the college stuff?

As a Freshman ... he beat No. 4 Texas. As a Sophomore he beat No. 7 Texas on the road.

Was he great in college ... nope. But he beat more than 1AA teams and they certainly were not a "majority" of his wins.

He definitely had his best year in the NFL against one of the worst schedules in recent memory.

But it does not hurt. I think I might like Cassel better ... but Freeman oozes talent ... so a shot in the dark.

If it does not pay off ... does not really hurt any.

midgensa
10-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Did I mention he's lead the league in picks since 2011 with 42, ugh!

Eli Manning has 43 in that time. Mark Sanchez has 36 and would easily be in the running if he had been allowed to take a 6 snaps this season. Shockingly ... Drew Brees has 38 in that time. 40 for Rivers and 39 for Fitzpatrick.

Just some fun numbers. But I knew Eli had at least 43 ... actually thought he had more.

kevoncox
10-07-2013, 05:47 PM
C'mon ... are you just making up the college stuff?

As a Freshman ... he beat No. 4 Texas. As a Sophomore he beat No. 7 Texas on the road.

Was he great in college ... nope. But he beat more than 1AA teams and they certainly were not a "majority" of his wins.

He definitely had his best year in the NFL against one of the worst schedules in recent memory.

But it does not hurt. I think I might like Cassel better ... but Freeman oozes talent ... so a shot in the dark.

If it does not pay off ... does not really hurt any.

I'm not upset about it.. but the keywords were "His last season in college"
2008 Kansas State Wildcats football team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Kansas_State_Wildcats_football_team)

They beat Texas Am when they were average. All his other wins his last year were against nobodies.

kevoncox
10-07-2013, 05:56 PM
You disagreed with me because he beat Texas twice (good teams) and the likes of Baylor (when they were terrible) and Colorado.

Purple Floyd
10-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Your clearly underating the idiocy of our GM and FO.

I honestly don't see any way you could possibly underrate their idiocy at this point.

Purple Floyd
10-07-2013, 06:02 PM
So, any takers on when the excitement turns to excrement?

kevoncox
10-07-2013, 06:18 PM
So, any takers on when the excitement turns to excrement?

You still fail to tell me what about his game you hate. Will he go on a Peyton run? Probably not. However, I'm glad we are atleast doing something. Ponder is not the answer. It's been proven. We now have two QBs that are better than game managers. Lets see where they take us. The fact remains we don't have the time to waste developing another QB on the fly. We can draft a guy and groom him. Even though the guy is 25.

kingpin9995
10-07-2013, 09:38 PM
You still fail to tell me what about his game you hate. Will he go on a Peyton run? Probably not. However, I'm glad we are atleast doing something. Ponder is not the answer. It's been proven. We now have two QBs that are better than game managers. Lets see where they take us. The fact remains we don't have the time to waste developing another QB on the fly. We can draft a guy and groom him. Even though the guy is 25.

Exactly.. we don't have time. This deal with Freeman is for a starting quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings, and it;s Freeman. This deal cements the Vikings and Speilman in a corner that has only one possible outcome. Freeman will be the starter and it won't be any longer than one week out from Sunday. A GM can't bring in a guy like Freeman, pay him more money in salary for this season than both Ponder and Cassel make and have him sit on the bench. There is no competition here. Speilman pulled the trigger on this and if Freeman is not his man he would have never done it in the first place. You'd have to be a moron to bring in Freeman thinking this is some sort of competition. You've just pissed off your number one and two qb's by the deal, and made a real mess if you don't play Freeman quickly. Imagine if Freeman does not get on the field with his salary. The media will destroy him.

PackSux!
10-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Frazier came out and said that if Ponder is healthy on Sunday he is our starter, if not Cassel will get his second start. Is that some sort of smoke screen that sneaky old Frazier thinks he can get away with?

This signing means to me that Ponder is headed to the IR and the staff don't seem to believe in Cassel. So what does this staff do when Cassel lights up the Panthers this Sunday?

My guess is that this little quarterback thing will cause Ziggy to gut the staff at the end of the year.

So who will be our next GM and Coach next season?

tastywaves
10-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Cassell $3.7M, Freeman $3.0M, Ponder $2.7M cap hits for this year. Money won't determine who plays.

Purple Floyd
10-07-2013, 10:03 PM

I told you. I don't like his footwork and i don't like his mechanics. he doesn't follow through on his throws and I also don't like what I see from the way he went about his business for his years in Tampa. If you don't put in the time and if you take a bad attitude and quit on your team then that is not the kind of guy I want to bring in and kick the tires on. The fact that the players came out and said they would rather have Glennon because he was putting in the time in the meeting room certainly doesn't do much for my confidence that he will come in, crash the books, and learn the offense right away.

Look, had they done this in the off season and had him in camp, preseason etc and gave him a chance to compete openly for the job I would have been all for it. But for the FO to tell us they had the right guys when we knew they were questionable at best and then sitting through preseason and the whole watch the tape, fix some things while sitting ponder like he was Manning only to go through the whole watch the tape, fix some things for the first 1/4 of the season only to blow it all up and bring in a guy who is not proven to be better than the backup you have and risk splitting the locker room I just find it impossible to see anything positive.

At best he comes in, plays half decent and they think they have the next Montana and we don't draft a QB in the next draft only to find out he isn't the answer either in 2 years and be back to this point again. At worst he comes in, stinks it up and the team self destructs at a time we should be building on a 10-6 record and a playoff berth.

Other than that it's all good.

jmcdon00
10-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Matt Cassel is making 3.7 million(and 3.7 million next year if both sides agree).
Josh Freeman is making 3.0 million
Ponder is making 2.7 million(and 3.2 million next year is all guaranteed)

singersp
10-08-2013, 06:52 AM
Frazier came out and said that if Ponder is healthy on Sunday he is our starter, if not Cassel will get his second start. Is that some sort of smoke screen that sneaky old Frazier thinks he can get away with?

Pretty much everyone knows Ponder isn't starting. He just hasn't been informed he's "not healthy" yet.

The Panthers will prepare for Cassel. No preparation is required for Ponder anyways.

drewlovs
10-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Since I've been so negative, I'm going to try this "glass is half full" thing.

I am glad the coach and GM have discovered Ponder just isn't working out, though they are staying very PC on how they discuss him. But reaching for Freeman tells us far more than anything they will say in front of the microphone.

The Freeman contract also says they have very little confidence in Cassel, which I also agree with. Yes, I've been pounding the Cassel drum, but only because we were comparing him to Ponder. If we are going to throw the season to a "let's see if this guy has the stuff", the more upside is with Freeman, and he should get the remainder of the season to make it or break it.

But what if he is just "ok"? I have no confidence the staff has the ability to see the end of the road when it comes to QBs.

jmcdon00
10-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Now it's being reported at 2 million.

Freeman’s actual pay: $2 million | ProFootballTalk (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/07/freemans-actual-pay-2-million/)

tastywaves
10-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Now it's being reported at 2 million.

Freemanís actual pay: $2 million | ProFootballTalk (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/07/freemans-actual-pay-2-million/)

Yea, I think what everyone jumped on was the annual salary. They reported that at $3M, however, Spotrac puts it at a little under $2.9M. Then you pro-rate for the remainder of the season and you come up around $2M. So, he will lowest paid QB on our roster now that MBT was cut.

LIVike
10-08-2013, 05:38 PM
To make room for Freeman MBT was cut.

Minniman
10-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Eli Manning has 43 in that time. Mark Sanchez has 36 and would easily be in the running if he had been allowed to take a 6 snaps this season. Shockingly ... Drew Brees has 38 in that time. 40 for Rivers and 39 for Fitzpatrick.
Brees had 37 picks but also 101 touchdowns and 12,375 yards. His 2011 campaign was one of the top quarterback performances in NFL history.

singersp
10-09-2013, 06:50 AM
Apparently Rick Spielman told Josh Freeman what to say Monday night

Apparently Rick Spielman told Josh Freeman what to say Monday night - Minnesota Vikings news | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Vikings (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Apparently_Rick_Spielman_told_Josh_Freeman_what_to_say_Monday_night100813)

Tad7
10-09-2013, 07:05 AM
haha that's a little embarrassing. Those were basic and expected questions that they could've discussed how to answer any time.

i_bleed_purple
10-09-2013, 09:43 AM
haha that's a little embarrassing. Those were basic and expected questions that they could've discussed how to answer any time.

We know that this happens all the time, but you're right, rehearse it before hand. THose are very basic questions, he shouldn't be told on the spot waht to say.

Abe Froman
10-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Why would Rick even feel the need to "assist" Josh like that? How bad could it honestly have been? Oh well, everyone will forget about it in a week anyway.

Minniman
10-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Why would Rick even feel the need to "assist" Josh like that? How bad could it honestly have been? Oh well, everyone will forget about it in a week anyway.

Will Spielman assist calling plays in the huddle too? Is Freeman that unintelligent that he cannot think for himself? I imagine Rodgers, Brady, or Manning do not have to be prompted like that.

i_bleed_purple
10-09-2013, 10:34 AM

http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/2/24/Red_smile.JPG

Abe Froman
10-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Will Spielman assist calling plays in the huddle too? Is Freeman that unintelligent that he cannot think for himself? I imagine Rodgers, Brady, or Manning do not have to be prompted like that.

Kinda my thoughts too. I don't think Josh is that stupid, I just don't get why they didn't reherse some of those obvious questions ahead of time. Idk, I suppose he's pretty pissed at Schiano at this point, maybe Rick was just worried that he was going to lose control. Still, It was pretty awkward to say the least.

Randy Moss
10-09-2013, 12:23 PM

Is this a serious post?

drewlovs
10-09-2013, 02:40 PM
I think you guys missed the "sunnyside" of this discovery. Freeman is willing to be directed, and then take the company line. He allowed Spielman to basically tell him how to answer.

THIS is a good sign for me personally. It tells me he is very willing to do as told, and not be a lone wolf.

Abe Froman
10-09-2013, 05:22 PM
I think you guys missed the "sunnyside" of this discovery. Freeman is willing to be directed, and then take the company line. He allowed Spielman to basically tell him how to answer.

THIS is a good sign for me personally. It tells me he is very willing to do as told, and not be a lone wolf.

I'm not about to judge Freeman based on one interview. His on the field actions are all that really matter to me.