PDA

View Full Version : Winfield?

drewlovs
09-26-2013, 01:17 AM
Knowing that one of the big holes we have on defense is LEADERSHIP, is it wrong to hope the vikings sign Winfield seeing how he is stalling submitting retirement papers?

I would not expect him to play much, but (again, this is from the sparse information a person can get in Oregon on the Vikings) I always thought he was a great leader in season's past.

marstc09
09-26-2013, 01:29 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000250860/article/antoine-winfield-reportedly-will-consider-nfl-return

singersp
09-30-2013, 07:26 AM
Minnesota Vikings Need to Bring Back Antoine Winfield

Y! SPORTS (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/minnesota-vikings-bring-back-antoine-winfield-232800373--nfl.html)

Tad7
09-30-2013, 09:16 AM
yes please

NodakPaul
09-30-2013, 09:18 AM
We need to do something. Robinson is fast, but outmatched when he is a starting corner. Cook gets hurt trying his shoes. Jefferson just plain sucks. Rhodes is the only bright spot of the entire CB corps, and he is still making rookie mistakes. And Sherels is on the roster because of special teams play. The only other CB we have on roster is Bobby Felder... and who the F is Bobby Felder?

MaxVike
09-30-2013, 09:42 AM
We need to do something. Robinson is fast, but outmatched when he is a starting corner. Cook gets hurt trying his shoes. Jefferson just plain sucks. Rhodes is the only bright spot of the entire CB corps, and he is still making rookie mistakes. And Sherels is on the roster because of special teams play. The only other CB we have on roster is Bobby Felder... and who the F is Bobby Felder?

Pretty good summary/rant, actually.

Rhodes will be a good one for a very long time methinks. Sherels brings ST play, heart, and moxie. If Cook could just stay on the field we might see a decent player...but, that simply hasn't happened. I still think Robinson will eventually be a good player-not a Pro-Bowler...but, he's never gonna be a shut down guy. Jefferson should never see the field outside of Special Teams.

Oh, bring back Winnie please!

Purple Floyd
09-30-2013, 10:46 AM
He is past his glory and not the answer to our problems. Bringing him back to fix the secondary would be like bringing back Moss to fix the WR position. He just isn't what he used to be.

jargomcfargo
09-30-2013, 11:16 AM
He is past his glory and not the answer to our problems. Bringing him back to fix the secondary would be like bringing back Moss to fix the WR position. He just isn't what he used to be.
Vikings are 1-3. Bringing back Winfield would make them a better team, but won't take them to the promise land.
Josh Robinson, on the other hand, is a huge liability and shouldn't even be on the roster.
For all the good decisions Spielman has made, reliance upon Robinson appears to be a significant blunder.

Randy Moss
09-30-2013, 12:33 PM

He was last year. Why would you expect him to have lost so much in one offseason? I bet we'd be 3-1 if Winfield was still on the team.

drewlovs
09-30-2013, 02:20 PM

That's a bad comparison. Moss was never a leader, and never will be. He had a few choice words for the Vikings because they gave Patterson his number! What the heck does he think the Vikings owe him??

Winfield, however, WAS looked up to by a lot of players. We have the talent, in my opinion...we just need someone to hold those players accountable.

MaxVike
10-01-2013, 06:42 AM

Agreed, almost. Not suggesting he will be the same player, not suggesting he will fix the position. I just think he would make the Vikes a better Team...albeit temporarily.

Purple Floyd
10-01-2013, 08:17 AM
Look, There are lots of teams with crappy secondaries and none of them are banging on his door either. Yeah, I understand he was a great tackler and all but he has not been consistently healthy for a few years, he is getting older, and there is a reason he is sitting at home right now and it isn't because he had his number unlisted.

Yeah, we need help in the secondary, that was also the case when he was here, but we need to fix that with youth and not a guy that is 35 years old, unless he is hired as a coach.

kevoncox
10-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Look, There are lots of teams with crappy secondaries and none of them are banging on his door either. Yeah, I understand he was a great tackler and all but he has not been consistently healthy for a few years, he is getting older, and there is a reason he is sitting at home right now and it isn't because he had his number unlisted.

Yeah, we need help in the secondary, that was also the case when he was here, but we need to fix that with youth and not a guy that is 35 years old, unless he is hired as a coach.

Can't say I disagree more.
1) Winfield isn't sitting at home due to lack of offers. He said I will only comeback for the right situation. I.e. a championship team. The two teams that he considered going to are 2-8. He's not coming back for that.

2) Does he make this team better this season than who we have on roster? Yes. End of discussion. We can't draft in the middle of the season so we shouldn't worry about fixing the secondary with draft picks. He's better than Sherels and Robinson at this point.

singersp
10-02-2013, 07:25 AM
Can't say I disagree more.
1) Winfield isn't sitting at home due to lack of offers. He said I will only comeback for the right situation. I.e. a championship team. The two teams that he considered going to are 2-8. He's not coming back for that.

Well that rules us out right there, even with Cassel starting.

singersp
10-02-2013, 07:26 AM
Antoine Winfield still on Vikings' radar

Antoine Winfield still on Vikings' radar | Star Tribune (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/226068041.html)