PDA

View Full Version : New helmet mismatch

singersp
08-10-2013, 09:53 AM
I was watching the game last night & while I felt the new helmet didn't look bad, it really didn't match the rest of the uniform & looked out of place.

Anybody else notice that mismatch?

Also, the jersey numbers on some of those jersy's just look bad. Especially jerseys that had the same digits. 22, 99, etc. 84 looked bad to me as well. The numbers only looked OK on some.

Thoughts/opinions after watching the game? What did they look like for those who went to the game?

Reignman
08-10-2013, 11:14 AM
On my TV (NBC broadcast) the jersey's looked more blue while the helmets looked purple. Although I heard that has more to do with the broadcast than what they actually look like. Annoying none the less. For some odd reason though, on some of the replays the jersey color did match the helmets better.

But even when the colors match, I never thought the helmets matched the jersey's. Black is used a lot on the helmet, like the facemask and logo outline, but we don't utilize black anywhere else on the uniform. I thought they should have added a thin black stripe on the shoulders and pants, and then outlined the numbers in black as well, you know, like the helmet horn.

iowa
08-10-2013, 11:24 AM
I also thought that the jersey's looked blue, they didn't look like they matched with the matte purple helmet. I also agree that the jersey numbers looked bad, they might want to re-think the whole look they have going. I a watched a few other games and our uniforms are the only ones that didn't appear to be the right color. Maybe it's just a purple thing.

Purple Floyd
08-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Yeah they were a terrible mismatch. My wife even commented on it and said it looked bad. As far as I am concerned you can't blame it on the broadcast because that is something they need to know ahead of time and plan on accordingly when the test the uniform package. TV is a huge part of their exposure and if they think they can get by with just hoping everything will look right they are going to get bit in the butt.

And the number font still looks terrible. Worse in the game than in the press release. Whoever did the design on the entire outfit and signed off on it should be fired. No other team in the league that I have seen has had these mismatch and fond screw up issues.

Reignman
08-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Yeah they were a terrible mismatch. My wife even commented on it and said it looked bad. As far as I am concerned you can't blame it on the broadcast because that is something they need to know ahead of time and plan on accordingly when the test the uniform package. TV is a huge part of their exposure and if they think they can get by with just hoping everything will look right they are going to get bit in the butt.

And the number font still looks terrible. Worse in the game than in the press release. Whoever did the design on the entire outfit and signed off on it should be fired. No other team in the league that I have seen has had these mismatch and fond screw up issues.That's just what I heard. That's why the pre 2006 uni's never matched the helmet shade on TV either. Oddly enough, last years uni's and helmets matched fine so maybe it has something to do with the material and not necessarily the color.

And I agree, I thought they would test the colors on TV before signing off. However I heard from some people that the helmets/uni's matched just fine on their TV. Perhaps they watched the game on NFL Network? I watched on NBC. I'm going to watch the replay on NFL Network tonight to see if there's a difference.

And add me to the ever growing group of fans that hate the font. It's terrible. I thought maybe you wouldn't notice it during games so I didn't get worked up about it, but you do notice and they look bad. Not to mention they look a bit plain. They need an outline or something and the points need to go. I'm not a big fan of the shoulder stripe either. The helmets are fine, they look modern, but the uni's are a complete disaster imo.

Culpepper_4717
08-10-2013, 03:07 PM
Didn't really notice/care. Was too busy just actually enjoying some vikings football

2beersTommy
08-10-2013, 05:24 PM
other than the helmets, they look hideous!!

MaxVike
08-10-2013, 08:20 PM
The jerseys are awful. I can live with the helmet, although, not a fan of the matte, bespecially with the color mismatch on the jersey. I hop it is corrected soon. Although, I prefer the uniforms from the 70's...lol

Minniman
08-11-2013, 12:40 AM
I was watching the game last night & while I felt the new helmet didn't look bad, it really didn't match the rest of the uniform & looked out of place.

Anybody else notice that mismatch?
The uniforms look godawful.

The Texans have a better uniform and a pretty stadium. The Vikings tradition has gone disco.

marstc09
08-11-2013, 12:08 PM
I hated them when they unveiled them. I am embarrassed by them now. Thanks for giving Packers fans more fuel.

NodakPaul
08-11-2013, 07:36 PM
OK, the "blue" uniform thing comes up all the time, and it has more to do with the way the color purple is digitized than with the actual color of the jerseys. It is an error in the broadcast signal that is actually fairly hard to correct, and in preseason they very rarely spend the time and money to correct it live. Replays are often corrected, as it is a smaller effort to correct ten seconds versus a whole game.

When we get to the regular season Fox and the NFLN do a good job of correcting live, but CBS is often poor.

The helmets and uniforms are not mismatched when you see them in person.

marstc09
08-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Good news. I kinda like the numbers though.

VKG4LFE
08-12-2013, 01:51 AM
I actually love both the jerseys and the helmets. I would've preferred we went to the throw back jerseys, but I like the look of the new numbers and the helmets are awesome!

singersp
08-12-2013, 08:53 AM

I don't need to see them live to see there's a clusterfuck of a mismatch between the number fonts. It looks terrible period!

Purple Floyd
08-12-2013, 10:15 AM
OK, the "blue" uniform thing comes up all the time, and it has more to do with the way the color purple is digitized than with the actual color of the jerseys. It is an error in the broadcast signal that is actually fairly hard to correct, and in preseason they very rarely spend the time and money to correct it live. Replays are often corrected, as it is a smaller effort to correct ten seconds versus a whole game.

When we get to the regular season Fox and the NFLN do a good job of correcting live, but CBS is often poor.

To be fair I recorded the rebroadcast of the game that aired on Saturday night and the colors were a much closer match than the live game was whether it was because I watched it on a different TV or they fixed the color.

But you just can't fix that terrible font situation.

snowinapril
08-12-2013, 10:45 AM
The jerseys are boring. I don't like the numbers, the jersey itself is ok. I like the glossy helmet of old better than the matte finish helmet they have now.

snowinapril
08-12-2013, 10:48 AM
BTW, color look different in different lighting. Colors on material even if you get them close are going to look different than color on hard surface. I think it is partly how light reflects off the surface. This isn't a physics lesson by any means, just something I have noticed over the years.

Mr Anderson
08-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Good news. I kinda like the numbers though.
Me too. They're unique. The unusual styling is not overdone. Some number combinations work better than others, but I don't think any of them are really bad.

As far as the color goes, I think it's going to look different in natural light. Under the dome lights you see a reflection of separate light sources, which creates light spots and dark spots. They match better in all the camp photos I've seen.

vikinggreg
08-12-2013, 12:47 PM
The font and styling for the number is wonky, it works for some numbers like 88 or 66 but looks messy say 11. 14 or 25 (second number having sharper angles on the left). It also reminds me to much of euro soccer or hockey jerseys and makes me think the next move it to stamp Lada or Skoda somewhere on them.

Suick
08-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Purple is an odd color. Looks different in different formats. Its been that way since the 60's. I can remember old posters of Gilliam and Page. One looked dark purple, almost navy blue, the other was a plum color.

EricTheViking
08-12-2013, 03:48 PM
I think the new matte helmets look super-cool. I might want to get a replica to put beside the shiny one I already have. But I'm also in the camp with those who think the new font sucks. I can't stand those little curls that point off of the corners of the numbers.

Just my two cents.

kevoncox
08-12-2013, 04:52 PM
The numbers don't bother me... they're just numbers.
The unis have worn off on me. They're just boring. I'm starting to like Jacksonvilles better.
Right now it would be Fins... Vikes.. Jacksonville.

Purple Floyd
08-12-2013, 04:55 PM
More black in the purple would go a long ways towards fixing the issue. There is a delicate balance in the blue and red that make the purple with a small shift either way making a difference. Adding black darkens the color and balances it out at least that is my experience.

vikinggreg
08-12-2013, 05:04 PM
On a sad note I wish the Vikings had won the division more times in the last decade than they've changed the helmet or jersey design :irked:

VKG4LFE
08-13-2013, 12:57 AM
I think we should stop worrying about what the unis and helmets look like and just have our guys go out there and kick ass in whatever the jerseys we have! I wouldn't mind a superbowl patch on any of the looks of our jerseys haha

Purple Floyd
08-13-2013, 08:21 AM
But we don't win SBs around here. We lose the big games and I say if you are going to lose the big ones you should at least look good doing it.

singersp
08-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Maybe the mis-match & bad uni numbers will distract defenses when they see them & go "WTF?" & give us an advantage.

i_bleed_purple
08-13-2013, 09:04 AM
Keep in mind, purple is the hardest colour to accurately reproduce across different materials. Furthermore, it's hard to pick up accurately on camera. Those jerseys looked blue on TV, the helmets were defiinitely purple.

Anybody remember the 90's? When we played with 'blue' jerseys on TV? In the 2000s, technology allowed filters to enhance the purple so they actually looked purple. Those filters obviously weren't in place in a meaningless preseason game not broadcasted by any major station.

I'll hold off my opinion until regular season. HOpefully they can fix it. I doubt they look that bad in person (They don't, I've seen them live in person during draft party) and hopefully they can get the colour filters set up so they look proper on TV for meaningful games.

Zeus
08-13-2013, 09:54 AM
yeah they were a terrible mismatch. My wife even commented on it and said it looked bad. As far as i am concerned you can't blame it on the broadcast because that is something they need to know ahead of time and plan on accordingly when the test the uniform package. Tv is a huge part of their exposure and if they think they can get by with just hoping everything will look right they are going to get bit in the butt.

And the number font still looks terrible. Worse in the game than in the press release. Whoever did the design on the entire outfit and signed off on it should be fired. No other team in the league that i have seen has had these mismatch and fond screw up issues.

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1

=z=

triedandtruevikesfan
08-13-2013, 10:39 AM
I really like the helmets, but the jersey's looked horrible.

Minniman
08-17-2013, 11:55 PM
And the number font still looks terrible. Worse in the game than in the press release. Whoever did the design on the entire outfit and signed off on it should be fired. No other team in the league that I have seen has had these mismatch and fond screw up issues.
That is what I said at release, but other fans thought the uniforms looked fine. Some of those fans are having second thoughts.

The uniforms are a bust. The Krylon orange peal helmets look like crap.

The Vikings now look like a second rate NFL team.

Lippythelion69
09-13-2013, 08:46 AM
Hate the matte finish on helmets
Vikes need to shine .
The matte finish is just like the teams personality
Subdued
As Battleaxe4rcheese points out it his theory

NodakPaul
09-13-2013, 09:32 AM
Compared to the Lions font, the Vikings font is much better.

C Mac D
09-13-2013, 10:05 AM

And compared to World War II, the Taiping Rebellion was an adorable little skirmish.

Both fonts are just awful.

C Mac D
09-13-2013, 10:23 AM
I like the new uni's actually, just not crazy about the font... at all.

Not sure about the whole mis-match thing. They look good in the picture below.

Also, if you're watching a football game and are worried about the uniform's colors matching perfectly, shut off the TV and hit yourself in the head with a hammer.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/billingsgazette.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/6/fa/6fa8ac25-e8e0-5b88-8c44-b56697ea7d78/522ce9c1d1994.preview-620.jpg

Culpepper_4717
09-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Also, if you're watching a football game and are worried about the uniform's colors matching perfectly, shut off the TV and hit yourself in the head with a hammer.
Finally, someone that actually gets it.

NodakPaul
09-13-2013, 05:09 PM

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/billingsgazette.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/6/fa/6fa8ac25-e8e0-5b88-8c44-b56697ea7d78/522ce9c1d1994.preview-620.jpg

Amen. :) To all of it.

singersp
09-14-2013, 10:29 AM
How does it look now?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/singersp82759/22_zps3df1dcb6.jpg (http://s16.photobucket.com/user/singersp82759/media/22_zps3df1dcb6.jpg.html)

Minniman
09-15-2013, 12:45 PM
The Lions have a great mascot and some of the ugliest uniforms in the NFL. The silver looks dirty, and it needs more black. Their best uniform in years was retired after the 0-16 season.

Reignman
09-15-2013, 12:57 PM

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/billingsgazette.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/6/fa/6fa8ac25-e8e0-5b88-8c44-b56697ea7d78/522ce9c1d1994.preview-620.jpgCome on, nobody is calling for perfection, but when the helmets are purple and the jersey's are bright blue, it's annoying and distracting. However, it has improved in recent games. Last week the purple pants actually looked purple, and in the last preseason home game, the jersey's were a darker shade of purple like they should be. That first preseason game they were bright blue.

NodakPaul
09-15-2013, 01:02 PM
Come on, nobody is calling for perfection, but when the helmets are purple and the jersey's are bright blue, it's annoying and distracting. However, it has improved in recent games. Last week the purple pants actually looked purple, and in the last preseason home game, the jersey's were a darker shade of purple like they should be. That first preseason game they were bright blue.

You realize that is the TV feed, not the pants, right?

singersp
09-15-2013, 08:48 PM
You realize that is the TV feed, not the pants, right?

If it was just the TV feed, wouldn't both the helmet & the pants appear blue instead of only 1 appearing purple & the other appearing blue? :p

Reignman
09-16-2013, 03:25 AM
You realize that is the TV feed, not the pants, right?Yes I do, but they can correct it with filters before it reaches my TV screen and sends me to the interwebs in a tizzy xD. They were blue, now they're purple, so the networks must have turned a knob or 2.

Minniman
09-16-2013, 09:37 AM
Yes I do, but they can correct it with filters before it reaches my TV screen and sends me to the interwebs in a tizzy xD. They were blue, now they're purple, so the networks must have turned a knob or 2.
I have taught classes on light theory, photography, and video. Items do not actually have a color. The color we see is an interpretation of light reflected from a surface. All other light is absorbed.

What we see depends on the color characteristics of the light that is hitting the surface to begin with, so the color we see will be different in natural and artificial light. With video, the color we see will change depending on the receptors in the camera and any filters.

Purple, not violet, is difficult to keep the same in different media because purple is not part of the light spectrum. Purple is our brains' interpretation of seeing reflected blue and reflected red. Our eyes have no cone receptors for purple. Because purple is dependent on two other colors, its appearance is difficult to keep constant on different surfaces and in different lighting conditions. Having a smooth uniform and a matte helmet makes this more difficult.

Reignman
09-18-2013, 12:48 AM
That's all well and good, but this is the 21st century which has brought us TV's so clear we can see sweat actually coming out of pores. But for some reason they're having trouble transmitting the color purple? They didn't seem to have much trouble with the old jersey's, which I never remember looking blue. Sometimes they looked pinkish xD, but I digress, it has been much better in recent weeks. I knew they'd make some adjustments and get it fixed eventually so I never hit the panic button.

i_bleed_purple
09-18-2013, 11:56 AM
If it was just the TV feed, wouldn't both the helmet & the pants appear blue instead of only 1 appearing purple & the other appearing blue? :p

Nope. You could colour two different materials the same shade of purple, and they will look different. The helmet reflects light different than the pants, therefore different colours appear. Filters are in place to try and rectify the 'blue' problem.

Do you not remember the Vikings in the 90s/2000s? On TV, the helmets were purple, but the jerseys looked blue. This was a time before colour filters were really used, so hence the colour difference.

The newer reebok jerseys were the same colour, but filters were already in place that made sure they stayed purple on TV from day 1. The brand new jerseys are different colours, as are the helmets, which is why it's taken a few weeks to get the colours set properly. It's preseason for broadcasters as well as teams, We'll see on Sunday if they got the colour filters working properly yet or not.

Reignman
09-20-2013, 02:27 AM
Do you not remember the Vikings in the 90s/2000s? On TV, the helmets were purple, but the jerseys looked blue. This was a time before colour filters were really used, so hence the colour differenceTo me they just looked like 2 different shades of purple. The helmets were dark purple and the jersey's light, but they both were purple. I remember the Giants having the same problem, their helmets were dark blue while the jersey's looked a lighter shade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKVurEykCvM

Reignman
09-20-2013, 02:29 AM
I could only post 1 video per post so here's what I remember of the old Viking helmet/jersey's. Just 2 different shades of purple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz3etUOLqxU

singersp
09-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Nope. You could colour two different materials the same shade of purple, and they will look different. The helmet reflects light different than the pants, therefore different colours appear. Filters are in place to try and rectify the 'blue' problem.

Do you not remember the Vikings in the 90s/2000s? On TV, the helmets were purple, but the jerseys looked blue. This was a time before colour filters were really used, so hence the colour difference.

The newer reebok jerseys were the same colour, but filters were already in place that made sure they stayed purple on TV from day 1. The brand new jerseys are different colours, as are the helmets, which is why it's taken a few weeks to get the colours set properly. It's preseason for broadcasters as well as teams, We'll see on Sunday if they got the colour filters working properly yet or not.

I already new the answer to that one, thus the smiley. I deal with color regularly at work. Even the same material will have different color appearances depending on the grain/texture of the surface & how the color was applied.

Freya
09-20-2013, 09:31 AM
This is a picture that I took at the draft party this year.
I would say that the colors in this pic are accurate when compared to how it looked in person.

El Vikingo
09-20-2013, 12:09 PM
This is a picture that I took at the draft party this year.
I would say that the colors in this pic are accurate when compared to how it looked in person.