PDA

View Full Version : Best QB in Vikings History?

SharperImage
07-26-2013, 02:53 AM
I hate to say it! BUT! Its Daunte Culpepper... Not only does he hold all the vikings passing records.. In 2004 he threw for 4,800 yards and 39 touchdowns.

I know you guys will yell fran this fran that, but fran wasnt half the QB or Athlete as Culpepper.

I pray that Ponder tosses for 3k yards let alone almost 5k. I know Culpepper also played in Mike Tices Vertical Shotgun offense, so that helped too.

HEY
07-26-2013, 04:15 AM
This is a difficult question and I see where you're coming from. Culpepper put on the best numbers of any Vikings QB, but he also had arguably the best receivers to throw to. Not just in team history, but league history. (Although he only had Cris Carter for two seasons, Randy Moss was perfect for Culpepper)

Fran Tarkenton also had a good team around him, but those times were different and we can't compare the passing numbers back then to today's numbers. I wonder how he would perform in today's league and I doubt he would do very good as the defense is much better against the scrambling QB today. The level of competition is higher, players are faster and smarter. One thing is for sure, Fran was exciting to watch and him and Randall Cunningham may be the most exciting Vikings QB's to watch.

If you ask Cris Carter, who played with both Cunningham and Culpepper, he would say Warren Moon is the best he has ever played with. Moon held the record for most passing touchdowns and pass completions in professional football until surpassed by Brett Favre in 2007.

Talking about the devil, Brett Favre deserves a thought too. He only had one good season, but it challenges Culpepper for the best season by a Vikings QB.

Culpepper's best year: 2004
Passing yards: 4,717, TD: 39, INT: 11 Rating: 110.9

Brett Favre's best year: 2009
Passing yards: 4,202 TD: 33 INT: 7 Rating: 107.2

I was gonna make a top 5 list, but it's too hard.

singersp
07-26-2013, 08:22 AM
He also holds the record for most houses foreclosed on in a single year by a [once] Vikings QB.

Tad7
07-26-2013, 08:33 AM
Tarvaris

marstc09
07-28-2013, 11:09 PM
Brett Favre

Purple Floyd
07-29-2013, 08:16 AM
Jeff George

MaxVike
07-29-2013, 10:18 PM
If my teammate wore a competing teams hat, I would call him out. Pretty sure Willis, Smith, Bowman, etc. see it that way. And, VERY sure Harbaugh does too. Kap won't be wearing any Dolphins caps anytime soon would be my guess.

Purple Floyd
07-29-2013, 10:24 PM
Huh?

i_bleed_purple
07-30-2013, 11:33 AM
If my teammate wore a competing teams hat, I would call him out. Pretty sure Willis, Smith, Bowman, etc. see it that way. And, VERY sure Harbaugh does too. Kap won't be wearing any Dolphins caps anytime soon would be my guess.

Well articulated and to the point!

kingpin9995
07-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Well articulated and to the point!

Id have to say Boozenose Tommy Kramer.. No one does a radio interview at 7 am with a bag on like Tommy. Without the booze the guy would have been the best we had. He was one bad drunk though. I know people that drank with him and the guy would get just obliverated...

NodakPaul
07-30-2013, 02:23 PM
Id have to say Boozenose Tommy Kramer.. No one does a radio interview at 7 am with a bag on like Tommy. Without the booze the guy would have been the best we had. He was one bad drunk though. I know people that drank with him and the guy would get just obliverated...

Can confirm.

I have golfed in a tournament several times that had Tommy as one of their guests and every year he was just destroyed. One year we met up with him at a hole at about 10 am and he was already six or seven drinks in. And we aren't talking small drinks or beers, we are talking tall whiskey sevens. At this point he was definitely drunk but still fun to interact with. But that was only our second or third hole. Other teams met up with him near the end of 18 and said that he was falling all over himself. Later at the social he was very loud and very inappropriate talking shit about golfers, other nfl players, etc. It was pretty sad.

On a positive note, he was golfing better drunk than I was dead sober. He crushed a drive easily over 300 yards straight down the fairway. :)

Dibbzz
07-30-2013, 10:36 PM
Couldn't have gotten our only NFL Championship without Joe Kapp and his blue chip persona, so for me he always gets an honorable mention.

But in all honestly Tarkenton is the hands down choice, for now at least.

VikingMike
07-31-2013, 08:43 AM
Daunte had Moss, without whom he would be nothing.

In that one year, Favre was magnificent...it was magical, right up till the end.

Two-minute Tommy was great, but I'll have to go with Tark.

Purple Floyd
07-31-2013, 09:27 AM
To be fair to Daunte when he did have the best season ever as a Viking in terms of yards and TD's he did the majority of it without Moss who had like 49 receptions for about 750 yards but he did have 13 TD's. His most productive WR in terms of yards was Nate Burleson.

VKG4LFE
07-31-2013, 11:49 PM
Didnt daunte hold the record for most yards passing and rushing combined in a season?? Im assuming brees broke that record but could be wrong. Daunte had a few great years but you cant deny overall career has to go to fran.