PDA

View Full Version : Vikings need Rhodes to turn the corner quickly

singersp
06-12-2013, 07:37 AM
Vikings need Xavier Rhodes to turn the corner quickly

Minnesota Vikings need Xavier Rhodes to turn the corner quickly - TwinCities.com (http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_23438239/minnesota-vikings-need-xavier-rhodes-turn-corner-quickly)

singersp
06-12-2013, 07:42 AM
Hopefully XR can catch on quickly. Based on how diminished some people claim Winfield's game was, one would think he'd have no problem being an immediate boost to the backfield, sans a few rookie mistakes.

Purple Floyd
06-12-2013, 07:44 AM
It won't be too hard to replace the coverage skills of Winfield. I for one am glad he is gone and am excited to see them bring in a taller CB who can match up better with the WR's we face.

Purple Floyd
06-12-2013, 07:45 AM
Hopefully XR can catch on quickly. Based on how diminished some people claim Winfield's game was, one would think he'd have no problem being an immediate boost to the backfiels sans a few rookie mistakes.

Yep. That is the correct answer. It will be nice to see the backfield take a little pressure off the rest of a defense that has been trying to make up for their shortcomings for nearly 20 years.

singersp
06-12-2013, 07:52 AM
Yep. That is the correct answer. It will be nice to see the backfield take a little pressure off the rest of a defense that has been trying to make up for their shortcomings for nearly 20 years.

Keep in mind we changed DB's, not our "bend but don't break" antiquated defensive scheme. Now all we need is someone to pick up all the tackles & run stuffing that Winfield provided against the run.

Purple Floyd
06-12-2013, 08:22 AM
Keep in mind we changed DB's, not our "bend but don't break" antiquated defensive scheme. They ran that antiquated bend but don't break scheme to compensate for Winfield's inability to match up with the WR's in press coverage. His only chance was to give them a cushion, let them catch the ball at will in front of him, and then concentrate on making the tackle. That scheme will be adjusted now that they have the size and speed to get closer to the WR's. That will obviously lead to getting burned on occasion but I would rather see that than dying from a thousand cuts like we have been doing for nearly 20 years.

Now all we need is someone to pick up all the tackles & run stuffing that Winfield provided against the run.

It looks to me like Rhodes is the kind that likes to stick his nose in there and make tackle and with his size and speed he can give us a boost in that department too.

Purple Floyd
06-12-2013, 08:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XbLZqEWPBzQ#!

Ranger
06-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Winfield is a stud. I think he can still play, and still play at a high level.

Ranger
06-12-2013, 10:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XbLZqEWPBzQ#!

By the way, I've watched a ton of these before. There's a group of us at work that used to live in Seattle, so there are actually quite a few 'hawks fans. I like that team a lot as well, but we get into some back and forth since the two teams are so mingled anymore. I call 'em the Vikhawks, or Seattlesota.

marshallvike
06-12-2013, 05:43 PM
It won't be too hard to replace the coverage skills of Winfield. I for one am glad he is gone and am excited to see them bring in a taller CB who can match up better with the WR's we face.

marrdro?
Stop using PF's account!

Purple Floyd
06-12-2013, 09:08 PM
marrdro?
Stop using PF's account!

Well played my friend, I just spit coffee on my spreadsheet.

Purple Floyd
06-15-2013, 12:17 AM
Keep in mind we changed DB's, not our "bend but don't break" antiquated defensive scheme. Now all we need is someone to pick up all the tackles & run stuffing that Winfield provided against the run.
Well, there is this:

By Tim Yotter
VikingUpdate.com
Posted Jun 14, 2013

“It’s a little bit harder in these OTAs to gauge some of the defensive backs because of the style of play we want to play here. We want to be closer to the line of scrimmage and really get our hands on people,” head coach Leslie Frazier said. “This part of the offseason program you’re limited in being able to be aggressive at the line of scrimmage, but we see enough of the athletic ability and the size – the size definitely shows up – and the speed. You can see that and the change of direction that he has so we know with those long arms he’s going to be able to go out and do what we drafted him to do and that’s go out and play press coverage. We’ll learn more when he get into training camp and get pads on.”

NordicNed
06-15-2013, 04:51 AM
not trying to take anything away from Winny, but he has lost a step in his coverage ability over the past couple of years. Still he's pretty solid against the run and always has been one of the best run defending backs in the nfl. I have more than one vision, burnt in my brain, of some really sick plays he's made in the past against the run. Would have enjoyed to see him retire a Viking for sure, but thats not the norm these days in the nfl, sad but true.
As for Rhodes, I watched him play in college and his highlights will show you the same, big and fast and loves to hit...i'll be one happy fan if he can be a taller version of Winny . Rhodes has alot of very very good potential and i think we will all be saying his name more in the years to come...

singersp
06-15-2013, 10:13 AM
As for Rhodes, I watched him play in college and his highlights will show you the same, big and fast and loves to hit...i'll be one happy fan if he can be a taller version of Winny . Rhodes has alot of very very good potential and i think we will all be saying his name more in the years to come...

I hope that's the case. It would be a shame to lose what Winfield provided against the run all these years as well.

singersp
06-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Xavier Rhodes: 'I wanted to be a pro wrestler'

Minnesota Vikings' Xavier Rhodes: 'I wanted to be a pro wrestler' - TwinCities.com (http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_23463065/minnesota-vikings-xavier-rhodes-i-wanted-be-pro)

Traveling_Vike
06-16-2013, 11:10 PM
Who needs run defense? Haven't you heard it's a passing league now?

NordicNed
06-17-2013, 04:04 AM
Reads like a very nice young man, humble and dedicated....nice to see.

Xavier Rhodes: 'I wanted to be a pro wrestler'

Minnesota Vikings' Xavier Rhodes: 'I wanted to be a pro wrestler' - TwinCities.com (http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_23463065/minnesota-vikings-xavier-rhodes-i-wanted-be-pro)

singersp
06-17-2013, 06:37 AM
They ran that antiquated bend but don't break scheme to compensate for Winfield's inability to match up with the WR's in press coverage.

No they didn't.

They ran that antiquated bend but don't break scheme because that's what they chose to run & they ran it a long time before Winfield ever slowed down.

singersp
06-17-2013, 06:43 AM
Who needs run defense? Haven't you heard it's a passing league now?

Pretty much every team in the NFL.

NordicNed
06-17-2013, 06:56 AM
holly shit! Singer and i agree on something for once....lmao

No they didn't.

They ran that antiquated bend but don't break scheme because that's what they chose to run & they ran it a long time before Winfield ever slowed down.

NordicNed
06-17-2013, 06:57 AM
holly shit! Singer and i agree on something for once....lmao

i would like to say though, i think we are going to play a much more aggresive type of D this year, especially with the D backfield.

Purple Floyd
06-17-2013, 08:37 AM
They ran that antiquated bend but don't break scheme to compensate for Winfield's inability to match up with the WR's in press coverage.

No they didn't.

That was the coaching staffs of the past. This coach has stated he wants more press coverage and they didn't draft the guy last year that could have given them that luxury but this year they did and I anticipate seeing them making those changes now that the pieces are in place.

I also don't think we will se much of a drop off in tackling compared to Winfield once he gets his feet under him. I really like this kid.

tastywaves
06-17-2013, 11:46 AM
That was the coaching staffs of the past. This coach has stated he wants more press coverage and they didn't draft the guy last year that could have given them that luxury but this year they did and I anticipate seeing them making those changes now that the pieces are in place.

I also don't think we will se much of a drop off in tackling compared to Winfield once he gets his feet under him. I really like this kid.

Yes, this coaching staff has said for the last few years that they would like to play more press coverage and more man, but haven't felt comfortable enough with the DB's to do more of it.

If Rhodes can be the guy they expect and Cook can stay on the field and be the good version of himself, then I think we will see more man coverage played with this defense. I think this unit will show improved play over last year, even without Winfield on the roster.

singersp
06-18-2013, 05:56 AM

I like him too. I just don't want to see us take a step back at yet another position due to lose a key player.

Purple Floyd
06-18-2013, 08:48 AM
Keeping a 35 year old guy on the roster and not drafting a replacement is going backwards. This is a step towards the future.
And I am pretty sure we will recover from losing Jenkins as hard as it might be to imagine.

jmcdon00
06-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Keeping a 35 year old guy on the roster and not drafting a replacement is going backwards. This is a step towards the future.
And I am pretty sure we will recover from losing Jenkins as hard as it might be to imagine.
I think they are taking a step back, so they can take two steps forward. Still I think they could have kept Winfield, and drafted his replacement, skipping the step backwards.

Minniman
06-20-2013, 12:51 PM
I think they are taking a step back, so they can take two steps forward. Still I think they could have kept Winfield, and drafted his replacement, skipping the step backwards.
It would have been difficult to keep Winfield and stay within the cap. If the Vikings had kept him, they likely would not have had the cap space to sign Greg Jennings and resign Phil Loadholt.

Jared Allen's contract is like an anchor dragging the Vikings down to Davey Jones's cap space locker. If Allen was not over-paid, Winfield would likely still be with the Vikings with a restructured year.

jargomcfargo
06-20-2013, 09:05 PM
Rhodes is a big step forward. The whole defense evolves a bit with a CB that is tall, physical, and can play press coverage.
How great will it be to have a guy that can disrupt and reroute receivers, and cover them man to man. We're not used to seeing that on this team. Cook can't cover.
Facing NFLN quarterbacks and receivers will be easier with Rhodes at corner and Smith over the top.
The problem is going to be the nickel CB, and that's Robinson. The slot CB is one of the most difficult positions in football. Not sure why the Vikings think they can convert Robinson into a nickel corner. Frankly, for all his speed, he wasn't very good at outside CB.
Nickel could be a weakness with a pedestrian MLB and nickel corner.

Purple Floyd
06-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Rhodes is a big step forward. The whole defense evolves a bit with a CB that is tall, physical, and can play press coverage.
How great will it be to have a guy that can disrupt and reroute receivers, and cover them man to man. We're not used to seeing that on this team. Cook can't cover.
Facing NFLN quarterbacks and receivers will be easier with Rhodes at corner and Smith over the top.
The problem is going to be the nickel CB, and that's Robinson. The slot CB is one of the most difficult positions in football. Not sure why the Vikings think they can convert Robinson into a nickel corner. Frankly, for all his speed, he wasn't very good at outside CB.
Just bumped you up a notch on the old spreadsheet.

singersp
06-21-2013, 09:44 AM

Bingo!

Rhodes isn't a sure thing. While teams like GB seem to usually make sure they have a player that will make the grade in place, the Vikings seem to get rid of the vet & then try & replace them with an unproven player.

singersp
06-21-2013, 09:48 AM

Rhodes is only a big step forward if he pans out. It would be great to have a guy that can disrupt and reroute receivers, and cover them man to man, but lets find out if that's what we have before letting go of one of our better players.

Purple Floyd
06-21-2013, 10:49 AM
They don't have the cap space or roster space to keep every vet until they have a fully developed replacement behind them and neither does anyone else. The Packers might have been close for a few years but it is cyclical and in a few years once the salaries of Matthews and Rodgers take hold they will be in the same boat as everyone else.

Look, we finally have stability in the ownership that we haven't had since the 80's and they got their new stadium which has been a focus for the team since the 70's except the first maybe 5 years or so of the dome so hopefully they got all of that crap out of the way and can focus on building the team again.

tastywaves
06-21-2013, 11:05 AM

Agreed, that this is our biggest concern (nickel/mlb) on defense this year. The staff knows it and continues to look for options, but it will no doubt be a point of concern throughout the year.

I also have my doubts that Robinson can be converted into a nickel back and was hoping this guy Lacey that they brought in could be a solid player at this position. I think he has been struggling with injuries so haven't heard much of him yet.

Jarlvik
06-22-2013, 08:18 AM
I HOPE they've found an answer in Rhodes & Robinson. A very tough passing division indeed. God bless Antoine unless he plays us. Just plain wrong to let him go

jargomcfargo
06-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Agreed, that this is our biggest concern (nickel/mlb) on defense this year. The staff knows it and continues to look for options, but it will no doubt be a point of concern throughout the year.

I also have my doubts that Robinson can be converted into a nickel back and was hoping this guy Lacey that they brought in could be a solid player at this position. I think he has been struggling with injuries so haven't heard much of him yet.

There is also a concern at safety. The play of the second safety, mostly Sanford, though improved, was woeful in coverage.

"The pair appeared to struggle in coverage overall, allowing opposing quarterbacks to covert three of every five passes (21-of-35) for five touchdowns and a 127.9 average QB rating."

Vikings' Jamarca Sanford facing plenty of competition at strong safety | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Vikings (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Vikings_Jamarca_Sanford_facing_plenty_of_competition_at_strong_safety062213)

I'm hoping Blanton or someone can step up and cover better, as well as occasionally intercept the ball. Though Sanford showed a lot of improvement last year, his play isn't good enough!

Purple Floyd
06-24-2013, 08:01 AM
There will always be concern at a few positions. There is no way to have premier talent at every position. The key is to develop a core of premier players and surround them with role players who can play at a basic level of competence. That is all we need from the second Safety and the nickel corner.

tastywaves
06-24-2013, 11:35 AM
There will always be concern at a few positions. There is no way to have premier talent at every position. The key is to develop a core of premier players and surround them with role players who can play at a basic level of competence. That is all we need from the second Safety and the nickel corner.

I think the question is around the "basic level of competence" measuring stick. Not sure smegma believes we have that in our nickel, mlb or second safety position.

Personally, I'm less concerned about Sanford/safety and mostly have questions at nickel and middle. Safety was our biggest weakness going into the season last year and Harrison completely changed that around. Sanford as smegma points out, came a long ways from the year before which was a nice surprise. The FO gave him a $2.5M/yr contract so I think they feel pretty confident in him and Blanton is still out there and possibly a good 3rd option. Raymond digressed greatly last year and was a real liability when he came back, but he wasn't that bad in 2011. He will have a short rope this year.

I think we have some options at nickel that may very well work out to the "basic level of competence" (Lacey, Robinson and yes even AJ), but not so sure about MLB. We are a long ways from the start of the season so I'll sit back and see how it unfolds.

Marrdro
07-01-2013, 02:34 PM
I think you missed the guy who lead us in Tackles all the time was a LB, not a DB and Whinny really wasn't that great all the time...

87 T 2012
36 T 2011
77 T 2010
48 T 2009
67 T 2008

Heck Harrison Smith, who sucked at run coverage this year was 3rd with 80 tackles and he could defend the pass, which Whinny couldn't. Were's your love for that guy?

Marrdro
07-01-2013, 02:36 PM
I think the question is around the "basic level of competence" measuring stick. Not sure smegma believes we have that in our nickel, mlb or second safety position.

Personally, I'm less concerned about Sanford/safety and mostly have questions at nickel and middle. Safety was our biggest weakness going into the season last year and Harrison completely changed that around. Sanford as smegma points out, came a long ways from the year before which was a nice surprise. The FO gave him a $2.5M/yr contract so I think they feel pretty confident in him and Blanton is still out there and possibly a good 3rd option. Raymond digressed greatly last year and was a real liability when he came back, but he wasn't that bad in 2011. He will have a short rope this year.

I think we have some options at nickel that may very well work out to the "basic level of competence" (Lacey, Robinson and yes even AJ), but not so sure about MLB. We are a long ways from the start of the season so I'll sit back and see how it unfolds.

All we need to do is get Ponder to play as consistently as you and Mountainman do when it comes to great posts.

Top shelf my friend. Top shelf indeed.

Marrdro
07-01-2013, 02:41 PM
There is also a concern at safety. The play of the second safety, mostly Sanford, though improved, was woeful in coverage.

"The pair appeared to struggle in coverage overall, allowing opposing quarterbacks to covert three of every five passes (21-of-35) for five touchdowns and a 127.9 average QB rating."

Vikings' Jamarca Sanford facing plenty of competition at strong safety | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Vikings (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Vikings_Jamarca_Sanford_facing_plenty_of_competition_at_strong_safety062213)

I'm hoping Blanton or someone can step up and cover better, as well as occasionally intercept the ball. Though Sanford showed a lot of improvement last year, his play isn't good enough!
When you have a SS grade out 24th Overall/26th vs run/14th vs rush/38th in coverage out of 88 S's you don't have an issue at S.

What you have is a bunch of yutz fans and reporters who don't have a clue what the role of a SS is and how great a role that plays in the ability of your FS to look great in pass coverage.

jargomcfargo
07-01-2013, 04:47 PM
When you have a SS grade out 24th Overall/26th vs run/14th vs rush/38th in coverage out of 88 S's you don't have an issue at S.

What you have is a bunch of yutz fans and reporters who don't have a clue what the role of a SS is and how great a role that plays in the ability of your FS to look great in pass coverage.

Perhaps a little context for clarity. The assumption Rhodes needs to turn the corner quickly, may be true. I simply pointed out that the Vikings have far greater concerns trying to convert Robinson from an outside coverage corner to the nickel or slot coverage corner.
Though not as significant a concern, the play of Sanford, though improved, is still lacking.

From the article:
"Despite Sanford's production, the Vikings could use a little more from the second safety spot, which compiled zero interceptions between Sanford and Raymond.

The pair appeared to struggle in coverage overall, allowing opposing quarterbacks to covert three of every five passes (21-of-35) for five touchdowns and a 127.9 average QB rating."

I understand there will be a disparity in stats between the SS, and FS. However, I don't think it is any more than rationalization for average or below average performance. And unlike some internet expert who bought a book about football, I agree with the "yutz writer".

I'll wear my "yutz fan" badge with honor considering you are the one placing me on that spread sheet my friend ! :)

Marrdro
07-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Perhaps a little context for clarity. The assumption Rhodes needs to turn the corner quickly, may be true. I simply pointed out that the Vikings have far greater concerns trying to convert Robinson from an outside coverage corner to the nickel or slot coverage corner.
Though not as significant a concern, the play of Sanford, though improved, is still lacking.

From the article:
"Despite Sanford's production, the Vikings could use a little more from the second safety spot, which compiled zero interceptions between Sanford and Raymond.

The pair appeared to struggle in coverage overall, allowing opposing quarterbacks to covert three of every five passes (21-of-35) for five touchdowns and a 127.9 average QB rating."

I understand there will be a disparity in stats between the SS, and FS. However, I don't think it is any more than rationalization for average or below average performance. And unlike some internet expert who bought a book about football, I agree with the "yutz writer".

I'll wear my "yutz fan" badge with honor considering you are the one placing me on that spread sheet my friend ! :)
We are all yutz's my friend with me being the yutziness.....:)

Again, go back and re-read what you just posted. Your concern is exclusively centered on pass coverage even your SS (mostly used in run support) graded out alot higher than most FS (who are used in pass coverage).

That means, even though the writer (who is really the yutz not you) would like to have better pass coverage out of his SS, most teams would kill to have our SS.

On a side not, I bet that the guy who bought the book knows more than the yutz reporter who clearly demonstrated that he didn't by writing such drivel.

tastywaves
07-02-2013, 05:19 PM
We are all yutz's my friend with me being the yutziness.....:)

Again, go back and re-read what you just posted. Your concern is exclusively centered on pass coverage even your SS (mostly used in run support) graded out alot higher than most FS (who are used in pass coverage).

That means, even though the writer (who is really the yutz not you) would like to have better pass coverage out of his SS, most teams would kill to have our SS.

On a side not, I bet that the guy who bought the book knows more than the yutz reporter who clearly demonstrated that he didn't by writing such drivel.

Supposedly the Vikings base defense is a Tampa-2 in which there is no FS/SS distinction. I do agree that Sanford did play in SS type role (TE side, closer to the line) quite often. I suspect this was based on his strength and the willingness to allow more man/press coverage. Going forward I can see this trend continuing.

However, I do believe that both safeties have to be proficient in both pass coverage or they will be exploited. According to this homeless wino that most people think is the greatest football mind of our time, here's what the state of the art at Safety in the NFL requires (no matter the scheme).

Belichick breaks down safety roles - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston (http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4702029/belichick-breaks-down-safety-roles)

"Offenses have done a much better job of making the strong safety play free safety and making the free safety play strong safety, and they don't let defensive players get comfortable where they want to play," said Belichick. "They make them play where they don't want to play. That kind of made the defenses transition away from [strict designation of strong and free safety responsibilities]...

Marrdro
07-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Supposedly the Vikings base defense is a Tampa-2 in which there is no FS/SS distinction. I do agree that Sanford did play in SS type role (TE side, closer to the line) quite often. I suspect this was based on his strength and the willingness to allow more man/press coverage. Going forward I can see this trend continuing.

However, I do believe that both safeties have to be proficient in both pass coverage or they will be exploited. According to this homeless wino that most people think is the greatest football mind of our time, here's what the state of the art at Safety in the NFL requires (no matter the scheme).

Belichick breaks down safety roles - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston (http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4702029/belichick-breaks-down-safety-roles)
I agree with you in total, especially since Leslie always said so, but since last year you hear him using FS and SS alot more.

Could be that our new D-coord has changed things up a bit perhaps?

tastywaves
07-03-2013, 11:36 AM
I agree with you in total, especially since Leslie always said so, but since last year you hear him using FS and SS alot more.

Could be that our new D-coord has changed things up a bit perhaps?

I think they would like to change things up, if the talent allows it. I think they've been trying for a couple of years, but due to a number of factors like failing to keep Cook in the lineup, Josh's struggles later in the season and many FA's not working out, they have been forced to retreat to more conservative zone coverages to try and limit the damage.

The last two years we invested first round draft picks on defensive backs. I think you have to go back 20 years or so before you see us using a first round pick on a DB. Both Cook and Rhodes look to have the right skillsets to play more man/press coverage, so I do think you will see our defense continue to evolve and the secondary play won't continue to be an afterthought.

Purple Floyd
07-03-2013, 05:32 PM
The last two years we invested first round draft picks on defensive backs. I think you have to go back 20 years or so before you see us using a first round pick on a DB. Both Cook and Rhodes look to have the right skillsets to play more man/press coverage, so I do think you will see our defense continue to evolve and the secondary play won't continue to be an afterthought.
I hope so. I have been waiting impatiently since the days of Browner for a secondary that puts fear in an opposing defense. This is looking like the start of something fun.

Marrdro
07-10-2013, 02:32 PM
I think they would like to change things up, if the talent allows it. I think they've been trying for a couple of years, but due to a number of factors like failing to keep Cook in the lineup, Josh's struggles later in the season and many FA's not working out, they have been forced to retreat to more conservative zone coverages to try and limit the damage.

Good points on some of the road blocks........Your probably spot on.

You know what we did this year don't you????????? Comeon, say it, say it.......

They addressed the most important position in the first round and the second most important position right after that......:)

I might be the only one but I am here to tell you I can't wait to see Shariff strap it on and bow up after some NFL strength conditioning and coaching.

tastywaves
07-10-2013, 04:17 PM
Good points on some of the road blocks........Your probably spot on.

You know what we did this year don't you????????? Comeon, say it, say it.......

They addressed the most important position in the first round and the second most important position right after that......:)

I might be the only one but I am here to tell you I can't wait to see Shariff strap it on and bow up after some NFL strength conditioning and coaching.

I think many folks were excited when Sharif fell to us, I think he will have a significant impact this year, even if in a limited role.

How about the 3rd most important position after that? Patterson should add a lot of excitement as well, I was actually hoping for Hopkins on that pick as I thought a more polished receiver would help with Ponder. But Patterson is very intriguing and I'm sure will get a lot of the action that was given to Harvin last year.

Of the first round picks, Rhodes is the least amount of risk IMO. I think he will be a solid corner and contribute from day one.

All 3 extremely athletic for their respective positions.

Marrdro
07-11-2013, 12:07 PM
I think many folks were excited when Sharif fell to us, I think he will have a significant impact this year, even if in a limited role.

How about the 3rd most important position after that? Patterson should add a lot of excitement as well, I was actually hoping for Hopkins on that pick as I thought a more polished receiver would help with Ponder. But Patterson is very intriguing and I'm sure will get a lot of the action that was given to Harvin last year.

Of the first round picks, Rhodes is the least amount of risk IMO. I think he will be a solid corner and contribute from day one.

All 3 extremely athletic for their respective positions.

I think it says alot about were we are in our Passing Attack, at least from the staffs standpoint. They took a chance on a kid that needs lots of development to become a true threat. I actually thought they would go the other way snag Hunter, who by all accounts, was the most polished route runner and should be able to come right in and play the X, Y and Z positions with very little work.

I was involved in a discussion with a guy on another site and he took that thought (about Patterson) to the next level......He started to talk about QB's developing WR's and pointed out at how quickly Jarius was brought up to speed.

Believe it or not, he had the audacity to give young Ponder some credit for how quickly that happened. He seems to think that Ponder should be able to get in synch with Patterson just as quickly.

Doesn't that concept fly in the face that almost every talking head and yutz analyst is saying about our QB. :)

Edit: That is why I'm so intrigued with what the Pats (and Brady) are going to do this year.

vikinggreg
08-22-2013, 09:43 AM
Just a pair of clips from last week to take a peak at what the Vikings gained and lost in the off season
Pop-up INT for Minnesota Vikings safety Jamarca Sanford - NFL Videos (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000230793/Pop-up-INT-for-Jamarca-Sanford)

Pre Wk 2 Can't Miss Play: First of many - NFL Videos (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap2000000231365/First-Manning-to-Welker-touchdown)