PDA

View Full Version : Losing Harvin, Winfield can't be good

singersp
06-10-2013, 08:42 AM
Losing Harvin, Winfield can't be good

Reusse's Reality: Losing Harvin, Winfield can't be good - Minnesota Vikings news | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Vikings (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Reusses_Reality_Losing_Harvin_Winfield_cant_be_good060913_060913)

singersp
06-10-2013, 08:47 AM
Matt Williamson is one of the main NFL personnel analysts for ESPN. He worked in personnel and as a scout in the NFL. A few days ago, Williamson graded the offsesason work of NFC teams and he put the Vikings below their three rivals in the North division.

Here's the link to that article;

Williamson: NFC North offseason grades - NFC North Blog - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/57065/williamson-nfc-north-offseason-grades)

NordicNed
06-10-2013, 09:11 AM
i'll comment at mid way in the season. But we replaced them with cp and Rhodes......I think we will be fine. Never got a full season out of PH and Winfields cover skills where going down hill, great against the run but not as complete as he used to be.

singersp
06-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Never got a full season out of PH

Another false statement many people believe.

vikinggreg
06-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Another false statement many people believe.
Yes he play 16 games in one season once

HEY
06-10-2013, 10:48 AM
I love how the two of them play, but let's be real here! Losing a 35-year old who plays the position that demands the most quickness than any other position and getting rid off the biggest cancer on the team who never can complete a whole season in exchange for good draft picks doesn't sound that awful to me.

tastywaves
06-10-2013, 11:59 AM
If Seattle continues to use Harvin like MN did (which I think they will), I would expect to see him to continue to fight injuries.

To be fair, he has only missed 10 games in his 4 year career, but he has been beaten up pretty bad. Between his migraines and various other injuries (shoulder, hip, ankles, hamstring, ribs, finger) it seemed like he was always listed on the injury list. He also missed a lot of practices. I realize that everyone gets beat up in football and Harvin is a tough kid that is capable of playing through pain if he wants. But, I would say he gets dinged up more than most and his style of play will continue to stress his body. What makes him good, makes him vulnerable.

Unless he changes his style of play, I don't see him having a long NFL career. I do see him having a big year in 2013 and continue to be a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

jmcdon00
06-10-2013, 12:10 PM
I don't see how any can say the Packers did better than the Vikings.
I think the Packers lost just as much in Jennings and Woodson, so that's a wash.
In free agency the Vikings got Greg Jennings. So that's a win for the Vikings.
In the draft it really wasn't even close. The Vikings had what on paper appears to be one of the best drafts in recent memory.

NordicNed
06-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Yes he play 16 games in one season once

And what season might that be? i may be wrong, but i don't count sitting out of a game with a headache a full season of play. i don't remember one season that Harvin Started and played every regular season game. Again, maybe i'm wrong......?????

Caine
06-10-2013, 12:26 PM
1: I agree with the premise that you cannot judge something based upon POTENTIAL...at least not until there is something of substance with which to extrapolate.

EXAMPLE: Tarvaris Jackson was judged on his potential for 6 years here, despite the evidence which didn't support that potential.

2: I agree that it isn't good to lose great players.....

EXCEPT

Except when one of those "great" players spends two years whining about being here, then attempts to hold the team hostage to his demands...while another GREAT player is quietly turning the NFL on it's ear and earning MVP honors. Harvin needed to go. He was very clear about not wanting to stay here through his actions. We got more from him than I expected. And while the allegation that he didn't play a full season is false, our ability to make the play-offs without him sort of proves that HE isn't the vital cog he imagines himself to be. Fact is, had we had him, we likely wouldn't have gone very far because it wasn't Ponder's arm or Frazier's coaching that won for us...it was all Peterson.

Except when that great player is visibly slowing down...to the point that moving him to safety had to be a consideration. His ability (inability) to cover fast receivers had been lamented here for several years - his hitting and run stuffing were what made him valuable. Similar to the loss of John Randle, there comes a time when a players' skill set has eroded past their contract. I expect to see this with Jared Allen and Kevin Williams soon too.

3: No one is crowing about how wonderful Frazier is....except whats-his-nuts that I skewered yesterday. Frazier rode Peterson to a contract extension.

Bottom line, I've long thought Ruesse was a blow-hard....nothing here changed my mind.

Caine

Purple Floyd
06-10-2013, 07:14 PM
I don't see how any can say the Packers did better than the Vikings.
I think the Packers lost just as much in Jennings and Woodson, so that's a wash.
In free agency the Vikings got Greg Jennings. So that's a win for the Vikings.
In the draft it really wasn't even close. The Vikings had what on paper appears to be one of the best drafts in recent memory.
+1

And what did the Lions and Bears do that was any better than what the Vikings did? IMHO (In my homer opinion) we had by far the best off season of any Norris division team.

vikinggreg
06-11-2013, 12:34 AM
And what season might that be? i may be wrong, but i don't count sitting out of a game with a headache a full season of play. i don't remember one season that Harvin Started and played every regular season game. Again, maybe i'm wrong......?????
the 2011 season everyone wants to forget he appeared in all 16 games

Purple Floyd
06-11-2013, 08:11 AM
Was that the season we went 3-13?

jmcdon00
06-11-2013, 10:22 AM
Was that the season we went 3-13?
Good point. Pretty much sums up Harvin. One of the greatest individual players in the NFL, not in the top 100 for greatest team players in the NFL.

mountainviking
06-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Obviously, Williamson must be a cheese-lover and a Viking hater. Every NFC North team lost starters, yet he only rips us for our 2. The Lions lost 3 OL, the Pack lost a no.1 WR in his prime and an aging CB similar to the one we did, and the Bears definitely got younger at LB, but most likely, not better in year one of 2 rookie starters. Duh!

Oh, and by the way, that no.1 WR in his prime signed with their rival Vikings! And beyond his on field contributions, that insight could provide a slight advantage when we're preparing to face the pack this season, and already sounds to be paying dividends in the development of our young guys.

We fans never like to lose our favorite players, but unfortunately, it was time for those 2 to go. Winny was great, but at 35 was also slowing down, and really, never did have the size to knock properly placed jump-balls away from the giant WRs in our division, like Megatron, Marshall, and Nelson. Sure, Harvin is still young, and extremely versatile and dangerous on the field...but, he is also extremely volatile and potentially dangerous off the field. I won't call him a cancer, but he definitely did not fit with the rest of this team's, blue-collar, team-first mentality, and, more importantly, his style of play is going to be more likely to cost him games in the future as we all don't heal as fast as we used to once the years pile up. All things considered, I like what we got from Harvin already, and we still have that 3rd round pick next year to go...