PDA

View Full Version : Vikings release Chris Kluwe

i_bleed_purple
05-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Saw the writing on the wall when we drafted Loeke. I'm gonna miss the guy, hopefully Loeke will make us forget him like Walsh has done with Longwell

Vikings cut ties with Punter Chris Kluwe | Vikings Blog - KFAN Sports Radio FM 100.3 - The Fan (http://www.kfan.com/pages/vikingsblog.html?article=11259278)

tastywaves
05-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Saw the writing on the wall when we drafted Loeke. I'm gonna miss the guy, hopefully Loeke will make us forget him like Walsh has done with Longwell

Vikings cut ties with Punter Chris Kluwe | Vikings Blog - KFAN Sports Radio FM 100.3 - The Fan (http://www.kfan.com/pages/vikingsblog.html?article=11259278)

That was a pretty quick competition.

Purple Floyd
05-06-2013, 12:29 PM
As I have said. I don't think he was the starter who was in most need of replacing but if they feel they upgraded him with a younger, cheaper alternative then I guess it is OK.

I will say one thing. If this is only because of off the field things then I think it is a bit of a double standard that they keep one guy on the roster who chokes the crap out of his girlfriend and even pay his salary while he is off the team but gets rid of a guy for what he says when he is off the clock. That is, if that is why he was cut.

i_bleed_purple
05-06-2013, 12:36 PM
As I have said. I don't think he was the starter who was in most need of replacing but if they feel they upgraded him with a younger, cheaper alternative then I guess it is OK.

I will say one thing. If this is only because of off the field things then I think it is a bit of a double standard that they keep one guy on the roster who chokes the crap out of his girlfriend and even pay his salary while he is off the team but gets rid of a guy for what he says when he is off the clock. That is, if that is why he was cut.

Trouble is Kluwe is replacable. Once you get past the fact he's a fan favourite, he didn't play super great last season, and you can get another punter to perform at that level. Unless your punter is Lechler, I understand from a business perspective why it's easy to replace a punter.

Marrdro
05-06-2013, 01:19 PM
I'm not gonna miss him a bit and it has nothing to do with his off the field stuff. I'm sick and tired of watching this cat shank one when we need one not shanked, or out kicking the coverage just to keep his yards per kick up.

As with the Shortwell move last year, this team just got better. A kid that can boom it as a punter and provides some real nice depth behind Blair if he gets hurt.

Win win if you ask me.

VIPER420
05-06-2013, 01:44 PM
I'm not gonna miss him a bit and it has nothing to do with his off the field stuff. I'm sick and tired of watching this cat shank one when we need one not shanked, or out kicking the coverage just to keep his yards per kick up.

As with the Shortwell move last year, this team just got better. A kid that can boom it as a punter and provides some real nice depth behind Blair if he gets hurt.

Win win if you ask me.

+1

idahovikefan7
05-06-2013, 02:18 PM
I too think it was time for this. Not only the numerous shanks, but also all the off-field topics he seemed to have to stick his nose into.

Sometimes it's best for someone to just keep their mouth shut. The public and media will usually take it out of context or too serious.

battleaxe4cheese
05-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Good riddance.

MaxVike
05-06-2013, 06:28 PM
As I said in the other punter thread...salary move at the most interchangeable position on the Team. No brainer, IMHO...+ a potential upgrade with reverse spin on his punts.

Minniman
05-06-2013, 07:05 PM
I too think it was time for this. Not only the numerous shanks, but also all the off-field topics he seemed to have to stick his nose into.

Sometimes it's best for someone to just keep their mouth shut. The public and media will usually take it out of context or too serious.
As I recall, his comments were originally to balance some anti-gay sentiments stated by another NFL player.

As I have stated, perhaps Kluwe needed to do better on the field to keep his job, but this hatred toward him because of his personal views is unjustifiable. It would be sad to think the Vikings have coaches that are intolerant enough to go out of their way to cut a player for sticking up for human rights issues.

digital420
05-07-2013, 05:16 AM
I really find it hard to believe that the off the field media (twitter, FB, news feeds) had anything to do with the decision. Why? becuase it was pushed by the NFL as + things being said by players, when there was soooo much - being said by idiotic or.. stunt minded players.. If they really wanted it shut down, they coulda very easily just brushed over it as with other bad news they push under the carpet.

I do believe this was a, youth, $, and skill decision.. Kluwe while he was good, was never GREAT.. and could not do the multi facets that our rookie seems to be able to do. as far as compitation? really? did you really expect there to be compitition with a 5th round pick?

I'm glad they didn't drag it out, this gives chris a chance to catch on with another team, and work with their people to get settled in. instead of saying.. ohh your stuck here till the season starts.. then he'd be fcked..

Good Luck Kluwe, go kill in Astaroth for a while, Orgimar bar hang out or something until the phone rings.

DiGiTaL

i_bleed_purple
05-07-2013, 07:15 AM
As someone else mentioned, an underrated aspect of what he did was holding. I don't recall him EVER screwing up a hold. Even a bad snap, he's been able to get it down. Perhaps his his lanky 6'5" frame that lets him get ahold of basically anything to put in play.

Marrdro
05-07-2013, 07:40 AM
As someone else mentioned, an underrated aspect of what he did was holding. I don't recall him EVER screwing up a hold. Even a bad snap, he's been able to get it down. Perhaps his his lanky 6'5" frame that lets him get ahold of basically anything to put in play.
One of Locke's strengths is that he can get the hold down, at least at the collegiate level.

Interesting item, the Vikes were sniffing about at some Long Snappers. Might be in for a whole new group in that area with Blair being the vet.

As with the LB'rs, just another example (if true) that the FO pukes want to win, but aren't afraid to continue rebuilding in certain areas while trying to do so.

Mr Anderson
05-07-2013, 08:54 AM
Sorry, but I don't buy the whole "football decision" spiel. It's only a money decision. That's it.

The worst year of Kluwe's career, by far, came in 2008, a year after signing his current contract. That season he punted once more(73 times) than he did in 2012 for more than six times as many touchbacks(13,) 5 yard less net average, 4 more touchdowns(0 in 2012,) double the return yardage, and had the only punt of his career blocked. If this were a performance based cut, he'd have been gone then.

People remember a select few punts gone wrong(very, very wrong) this past season, but other than those he had a pretty good year, consistent with his better seasons in most measurable categories.

Cutting him now left the Vikings with no dead money from his contract(he received the final payment on his signing bonus in 2012) and over a million in new cap space.

i_bleed_purple
05-07-2013, 09:14 AM
I'd agree with this. We're low on cap, and the extra 1.4 million can go a long way with signing rookies and giving us some wiggle room.

My bet is when doing their scouting , they assigned a value to loeke, just like they would anyone else. This value probably took into account the savings from getting rid of kluwe. In the fifth round, the benefit of a young punter that brings cap savings outweighed the benefit of anyone else available in the fifth round.

With this pick, we got someone who can contribute in day one, in a position that comparatively isn't that hard to pick up.

In the end, and I'm sure kluwe knows this too, it came down to money first, production second, off-field stuff last.

Like it or not, kluwe probably would not be resigned when his contact is up. He doesn't have the boom he used to have, and is paid pretty well. I'm glad we got a guy we wanted rather than having to settle for someone else in a couple years

Sorry, but I don't buy the whole "football decision" spiel. It's only a money decision. That's it.

The worst year of Kluwe's career, by far, came in 2008, a year after signing his current contract. That season he punted once more(73 times) than he did in 2012 for more than six times as many touchbacks(13,) 5 yard less net average, 4 more touchdowns(0 in 2012,) double the return yardage, and had the only punt of his career blocked. If this were a performance based cut, he'd have been gone then.

People remember a select few punts gone wrong(very, very wrong) this past season, but other than those he had a pretty good year, consistent with his better seasons in most measurable categories.

Cutting him now left the Vikings with no dead money from his contract(he received the final payment on his signing bonus in 2012) and over a million in new cap space.

Marrdro
05-07-2013, 09:41 AM

I'm buying into your money discussion point but I'm not going to agree he had a pretty good year.

I will agree that he was about as consistent last year as we was the year before and the year after, but if you remember, I was clamoring for his head then as well. That, by the way, was long before the off the field stuff.

I relented a bit when the new ST Coord took over and it appeared he had him back on track kicking to spots instead of just kicking the heck out of it, but that quickly faded about half way through that year.

Minniman
05-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Walsh only breaks those records with a good holder.

Let's hope Locke, or whomever, can do a good job and get the timing down with Walsh because kicking is about timing almost as much as it is leg.

idahovikefan7
05-08-2013, 07:03 PM
Chris Kluwe release not fair, Minnesota governor says - NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000167963/article/chris-kluwe-release-not-fair-minnesota-governor-says)

"I don't feel good about it," Dayton said Wednesday via the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. "I mean I'm not in position to evaluate the role and their punting abilities. But it seems to me the general manager said right after the draft that they were going to have competition. Well, then he brings the one guy (rookie Jeff Locke) in, he kicks for a weekend and that's the competition? I mean, I just think sports officials ought to be honest about what the heck is going on."

Really??? Doesn't he have better things to chime in on than the release of a viking punter? So sad.

jargomcfargo
05-08-2013, 09:08 PM
LMAO ! A politician thinks 'sports officials' should be honest.

Randy Moss
05-08-2013, 10:34 PM
This is so disappointing. Kluwe is my all-time favorite VIking, I really hope he catches on elsewhere. I still am not convinced that he didn't get cut at least in part for his off the field "issues" (ie: being a good person).

singersp
05-09-2013, 05:28 AM

Win win if you ask me.

Not sure he can boom it farther than Kluwe, but he's younger, cheaper, a lefty & doesn't bring the off-field controversies that Kluwe brought (that may have already spilled into the locker room & on field).

With Ponder as our QB, there's 3 things the Vikings have to have in order to win ball games.

1. AD or another 2,000+ yards rusher.
2. A FG kicker that can make FG's over 50 yards.
3. A punter who can boom it deep.

singersp
05-09-2013, 05:36 AM
This is so disappointing. Kluwe is my all-time favorite VIking, I really hope he catches on elsewhere. I still am not convinced that he didn't get cut at least in part for his off the field "issues" (ie: being a good person).

We probably haven't heard the last from Kluwe yet. Perhaps he will make a captioned Hitler parody about his release.

Purple Floyd
05-09-2013, 06:28 AM
I actually was going to search YouTube to see if Hitler reacted to Kluwes release. That could be mildly entertaining.

NodakPaul
05-09-2013, 07:32 AM
With Ponder as our QB, there's 3 things the Vikings have to have in order to win ball games.

Well then we're set. :)

Marrdro
05-09-2013, 08:07 AM
Not sure he can boom it farther than Kluwe, but he's younger, cheaper, a lefty & doesn't bring the off-field controversies that Kluwe brought (that may have already spilled into the locker room & on field).

You forgot 4.....

4. When you get to the playoffs make sure Ponder is under Center. :)

mountainviking
05-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Cheers Kluwe, it's been fun having you around!! Sorry you had to go, but when your best net average ever is only good for 17 out of 32 teams and your accuracy pinning it deep ranks 2nd worst, it is time for an upgrade. Specially with our old school, eat clock, field position style of football!! Like Blair Walsh last season, this is a big, and could be huge, but underrated move to improve our chances of winning every game.

Best of Luck Buddy!! Keep slappin da bass and rockin the freedom of speech, cuz there's too many out there that just aren't thinking enough!

Marrdro
05-09-2013, 10:08 AM
What would happen if an aging, high salary player who was very outspoken in favor of traditional marriage and Christian beliefs was cut after a sub-par season? Nothing.

Like I said, I really didnít want to comment on any of this. That was until I saw the raging hypocrisy started to surface. Please see it for what it is people. Hypocrisy and Cowardess.

My 2 cents on the pouting punters release - The Viking Age - A Minnesota Vikings Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more. (http://thevikingage.com/2013/05/09/my-2-cents-on-the-pouting-punters-release/)

Bingo.

tarkenton10
05-09-2013, 01:59 PM
You forgot 4.....

4. When you get to the playoffs make sure Ponder is under Center. :)

5. When you get to the playoffs make sure Webb is not under Center

idahovikefan7
05-09-2013, 02:13 PM

THIS

As already stated. A punter is "usually" a pretty easy position to replace. We all knew it was going to happen. You don't use a draft pick on a punter that wont be playing. Money was saved, youth was brung, future looks bright for the entire organization. No need to turn the release of a punter into a negative happening; cough cough Dayton...

I think it works out better for Kluwe being done earlier rather than later. He now has more time to find work elsewhere. I wish him the best of luck on the rest of his NFL career.

Minniman
05-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Cheers Kluwe, it's been fun having you around!! Sorry you had to go, but when your best net average ever is only good for 17 out of 32 teams and your accuracy pinning it deep ranks 2nd worst, it is time for an upgrade. Specially with our old school, eat clock, field position style of football!!
That is about it. Kluwe did not do himself any favors with his play on the field.

Like Blair Walsh last season, this is a big, and could be huge, but underrated move to improve our chances of winning every game.
I am not sure if the Vikings drafted the best punter available. He may be the most versatile, but he has not shown to be any better than Kluwe.

Best of Luck Buddy!! Keep slappin da bass and rockin the freedom of speech, cuz there's too many out there that just aren't thinking enough!
I agree. As it is, this is just another side show topic used to distract the masses. Too many people do not understand how wedge issues work; they do not care to understand the big picture. Then again, who are we to say anything different; the NFL is just a circus. We watch our gladiators do battle, and then we retire to our homes for a bit of bread.

MossMems
05-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Good riddance. He can go fight for gay rights and kick to Hester with Seattle now.

kingpin9995
05-13-2013, 10:17 AM
Good riddance. He can go fight for gay rights and kick to Hester with Seattle now.

Good riddance with this goof. He's one of those guys that has to have an agenda and a comment on every aspect of life and morality. It gets old after a while and wears on people whether you like it or not. It's like being a boss in any regular job that just can't keep his nose where it don't belong and has to have an opinion on EVERYTHING. Let's face facts , the guy had an agenda that included getting on every radio show he could to get his name out there and promote himself. The Ray Guy thing I think was the last straw for the Vikings. This guy was an 8 year or so veteran. He was middle of the pack punter that was due to make almost a mil and a half. Tell me why the Vikings need to keep him around? They don't owe him shit but a bunch of money for a punter that was not earning it at that price. They got a guy for almost one fourth of that and he was the best punter in college last year. You spouted your irritating mouth off once to often Crissy... I'm sure not if he does not get picked up the entire league will be blamed as being gay bashing insensitve dinks.. Blah blah blah.. Go play in your band Crissy.

jargomcfargo
05-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Good riddance with this goof. He's one of those guys that has to have an agenda and a comment on every aspect of life and morality. It gets old after a while and wears on people whether you like it or not. It's like being a boss in any regular job that just can't keep his nose where it don't belong and has to have an opinion on EVERYTHING. Let's face facts , the guy had an agenda that included getting on every radio show he could to get his name out there and promote himself. The Ray Guy thing I think was the last straw for the Vikings. This guy was an 8 year or so veteran. He was middle of the pack punter that was due to make almost a mil and a half. Tell me why the Vikings need to keep him around? They don't owe him shit but a bunch of money for a punter that was not earning it at that price. They got a guy for almost one fourth of that and he was the best punter in college last year. You spouted your irritating mouth off once to often Crissy... I'm sure not if he does not get picked up the entire league will be blamed as being gay bashing insensitve dinks.. Blah blah blah.. Go play in your band Crissy.

From Mr. tolerance, a guy with the sensitivity to call someone a spearchucker.
How the hell did you get back on this site?

kingpin9995
05-13-2013, 12:17 PM
From Mr. tolerance, a guy with the sensitivity to call someone a spearchucker.
How the hell did you get back on this site?

I think you have a problem with racism. To leap from my use of spear chucker to that of a racial nature
is disturbing. Some sensitivity training may be in order for you. I sure hope Crissy finda a job punting
the ball for someone.

By the way his foolishness with the Ray Guy hall of fame talk was just more of his self promotion.
Name me three punters in NFL history that you would consider putting in the HOF? Catch my drift?

Minniman
05-13-2013, 01:44 PM
By the way his foolishness with the Ray Guy hall of fame talk was just more of his self promotion.
Name me three punters in NFL history that you would consider putting in the HOF? Catch my drift?
Sammy Baugh - He is already in as a QB though.

Ray Guy - He showed the modern NFL that hang time meant no returns. Later, he used the sideline to eliminate returns and to kick the ball in the corner. He was not far and away better than his peers, but he was the best known punter in the game. Players actually dreaded his punts, and I do not believe that can be said about another punter in the NFL.

Shane Lechler - He may be the best NFL punter of all time.

tarkenton10
05-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Sammy Baugh - He is already in as a QB though.

Ray Guy - He showed the modern NFL that hang time meant no returns. Later, he used the sideline to eliminate returns and to kick the ball in the corner. He was not far and away better than his peers, but he was the best known punter in the game. Players actually dreaded his punts, and I do not believe that can be said about another punter in the NFL.

Shane Lechler - He may be the best NFL punter of all time.

I believe Ray Guy was the best punter ever and he should be in the HOF. I think many Raiders are not in the HOF because of Al Davis and his often antisocial behavior with the NFL. But Guy was the best Punter I have ever seen.

kingpin9995
05-14-2013, 03:39 PM
I believe Ray Guy was the best punter ever and he should be in the HOF. I think many Raiders are not in the HOF because of Al Davis and his often antisocial behavior with the NFL. But Guy was the best Punter I have ever seen.

It's ridiculous. You can't have HOF consideration for a position that you can't even have a reasonable conversation about WHO should get in when you can't even relay but two guys , with one being a qb. As Mike Tyson would say.. it's LUDICROUS..

They don't score points. They don't defend points. They rarely tackle if thats what you want to call what most of them do. They punt a ball down the field. They have no consideration to be in any HOF , and if it were not for Ray Guys name , THE SUBJECT WOULD NEVER COME UP. I'd like to see his life time stats compared to todays punters as far as average. I don't think you will see some mind blowing number....

i_bleed_purple
05-14-2013, 03:41 PM
It's ridiculous. You can't have HOF consideration for a position that you can't even have a reasonable conversation about WHO should get in when you can't even relay but two guys , with one being a qb. As Mike Tyson would say.. it's LUDICROUS..

They don't score points. They don't defend points. They rarely tackle if thats what you want to call what most of them do. They punt a ball down the field. They have no consideration to be in any HOF , and if it were not for Ray Guys name , THE SUBJECT WOULD NEVER COME UP. I'd like to see his life time stats compared to todays punters as far as average. I don't think you will see some mind blowing number....
ah, kingpin. We missed you. Were you behaved enough your mom gave you back your internet privilege?

NodakPaul
05-14-2013, 03:51 PM

I absolutely think that Ray Guy should be in the HoF. It is a sad state of affairs that he isn't, and I believe it is because people like you can't look past his position to see the impact he had on the game.

If no punter deserves to be in the HoF, then why even have a punter on the team? If their contribution is so minimal ("They don't score points. They don't defend points") than what is the point? Oh yeah... it is because without the ability to punt a team would lose because they would basically be giving up points every time the offense failed to move past the 50 - something that happens every game.

Minniman
05-14-2013, 05:11 PM

They don't score points. They don't defend points. They rarely tackle if thats what you want to call what most of them do. They punt a ball down the field. They have no consideration to be in any HOF , and if it were not for Ray Guys name , THE SUBJECT WOULD NEVER COME UP.
You asked for three names; I gave you three names.

Sammy Baugh - He is likely the best punter of his era. He is already in the HoF as a QB though.

Ray Guy - He showed the NFL that hang time meant no returns. Later, he used the sideline to eliminate returns and to kick the ball in the corner. He was not far and away better than his peers, but he was the best known punter in the game. Players actually dreaded his punts, and I do not believe that can be said about another punter in the NFL.

Shane Lechler - He may be the best NFL punter of all time. He was still active as of last season.

I'd like to see his life time stats compared to todays punters as far as average. I don't think you will see some mind blowing number....
Ray Guy's lifetime stats are not super compared to today's players. Neither are many quarterbacks' and receivers' stats either. Today's game is not the same game. Players are bigger and faster than they once were.

The point is that Ray Guy showed how to make punts work with hang time greater than other punters. After Ray Guy entered the NFL, just kicking the ball as deep as a punter could would not get it done anymore. Punt returners hated to face Ray Guy because the hang time usually meant a fair catch or a quick hit by one of the gunners which could be pretty hard considering the Raiders liked to use veteran defensive backs on special teams.

Shane Lechler has the best stats for a punter with five or more seasons experience. He may be the best ever at his position. Should he be overlooked because some people do not understand the importance of special teams and field position in the game of football? I hope not.

Formo
05-14-2013, 05:13 PM
I absolutely think that Ray Guy should be in the HoF. It is a sad state of affairs that he isn't, and I believe it is because people like you can't look past his position to see the impact he had on the game.

If no punter deserves to be in the HoF, then why even have a punter on the team? If their contribution is so minimal ("They don't score points. They don't defend points") than what is the point? Oh yeah... it is because without the ability to punt a team would lose because they would basically be giving up points every time the offense failed to move past the 50 - something that happens every game.

Exactly.. Football is a field position game. Special teams play a HUGE role in that. And directly factors for at least 2-3 Wins/Losses every season.

kingpin9995
05-15-2013, 12:32 PM
ah, kingpin. We missed you. Were you behaved enough your mom gave you back your internet privilege?

My lord, can't you come up with something a bit more inventive than that sorry line about mommy letting me go back on the pc? I've been chosen to bring this board back a bit of flavor. My mom told me it needs it and I am the man for the job. She told me that if I do good I will get extra time on my Xbox NFL Madden where I have been hard pressed to find a HOF punter to play on my team. There is a reason that no full time punter has not been named. It's not some conspiracy. It's not happened because there is no critera to even think about it for some guy like Crissy Kluwe to warrant consideration. They are a dime a dozen. Name me quickly the four punters from the NFC North, and don't look it up.... Ding ding ding................I win again.

i_bleed_purple
05-15-2013, 12:37 PM
My lord, can't you come up with something a bit more inventive than that sorry line about mommy letting me go back on the pc?

no

Minniman
05-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Name me quickly the four punters from the NFC North, and don't look it up.... Ding ding ding................I win again.
You win again? You asked us to name three punters worthy of the HoF, and I gave you them.

As a reply to this; name me quickly the starting strong safety from each team in the NFC North. How about the long snappers? How about the gunners? Punt returners? Weakside linebackers? Right guard? You can name them all without looking at websites?

kingpin9995
05-17-2013, 02:46 PM
You win again? You asked us to name three punters worthy of the HoF, and I gave you them.

As a reply to this; name me quickly the starting strong safety from each team in the NFC North. How about the long snappers? How about the gunners? Punt returners? Weakside linebackers? Right guard? You can name them all without looking at websites?

Foolish argument. Every position you name there I can rattle off HOF players EXCEPT LONG SNAPPER. There is the other position that does not belong in any talk of HOF and probably there are not any long snappers in the hall unless they were exceptional at it and it went along with full time snap duties. Are you going to sit there now and tell me a long snapper like the great Mike Morris deserves to be in the NFL because he never lets say missed a perfect snap back to the holder? By your logic the best long snappers of all time deserve to be in the HOF also, correct? Same for gunners.. Are we to have HOF gunners now too since they are a part of the total team chemistry? As for punt returners only one that actually was more than a returner would ever get into the HOF.

I see Crissy got a new job punting. Who signed him, the Gay Coalition Flaming Arrows?

NodakPaul
05-17-2013, 04:51 PM
I see Crissy got a new job punting. Who signed him, the Gay Coalition Flaming Arrows?

Do you work to be this offensive, or does it come naturally for you?

Minniman
05-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Foolish argument. Every position you name there I can rattle off HOF players EXCEPT LONG SNAPPER.
I asked for NFC North starters. As was your question about starting punters.

My HoF answer was in regard to your "I win again" comment. You would likely win at Jeopardy if you disregarded the other players as well.

Really?

Be careful, your true colors are shining through.

Minniman
06-20-2013, 04:38 AM
Chris Kluwe's exit based on play, Vikings ST coach says

By Dan Hanzus at NFL.com:

When the Minnesota Vikings made the decision to release Chris Kluwe, it was speculated that the punter's outspokenness on issues outside football contributed to his exit.

Not so, says Vikings special teams coordinator Mike Priefer, who told reporters Wednesday that the decision was based purely on performance.

"It was more consistency and productivity," Priefer said from Vikings minicamp, according to KSTP-AM ....

Kluwe is coming off a strong statistical season by his standards, but he was a middling performer from a league standpoint. Priefer says Kluwe's outspokenness didn't hurt him. We don't imagine it helped.

Chris Kluwe's exit based on play, Vikings ST coach says - NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000213578/article/chris-kluwes-exit-based-on-play-vikings-st-coach-says)

Mike Priefer felt 'very strongly' Vikings needed to dump Chris Kluwe (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Mike_Priefer_felt_very_strongly_Vikings_need_to_dump_Chris_Kluwe061913)

singersp
06-20-2013, 05:47 AM
the Vikings' special teams coordinator said after Wednesday's minicamp practice he felt "very strongly" in writing his postseason evaluation that Kluwe had to go.

"It was more consistency and productivity," Priefer said in a response to a question about what factors, statistical or otherwise, contributed to the decision.

He was consistently getting on Priefer's nerves with his antics & opinions & he was becoming more productive in his personal agenda.

His latest agenda, trying to get gay players to come out of the closet may have been crossing the line on off-field issues to on-field issues.

jmcdon00
06-20-2013, 09:59 AM
He was consistently getting on Priefer's nerves with his antics & opinions & he was becoming more productive in his personal agenda.

His latest agenda, trying to get gay players to come out of the closet may have been crossing the line on off-field issues to on-field issues.
Why do you think that would bother a team? Do you think the Vikings and NFL want to keep gay players from coming out?
I'm pretty sure the move was all about money. 1.5million is a ton for a punter, especially an average one.

Minniman
06-20-2013, 12:32 PM

Replace "gay" with "black" and replace "come out of the closet" with "make the roster" and it is not much different from the NFL in the Depression and WWII era. With human rights issues, often someone has to take a stand from the inside. If that bothers some players, they may do well to pull out Bob Dylan's 1964 album release and give it a listen.

I agree that Kluwe's antics with the Ray Guy uniform violation was a distraction. A player may not make a personal statement on his uniform.

marshallvike
06-21-2013, 02:12 AM
Replace "gay" with "black" and replace "come out of the closet" with "make the roster" and it is not much different from the NFL in the Depression and WWII era. With human rights issues, often someone has to take a stand from the inside. If that bothers some players, they may do well to pull out Bob Dylan's 1964 album release and give it a listen.

I agree that Kluwe's antics with the Ray Guy uniform violation was a distraction. A player may not make a personal statement on his uniform.

you cannot replace gay with black. if you are black, you were born that way. it is not a choice.

singersp
06-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Why do you think that would bother a team? Do you think the Vikings and NFL want to keep gay players from coming out?

I don't think it would bother a team if they had gay players or if they came out. The Vikings had (sezra Tuaolo). What Kluwe does on his own time outside of football I don't have issues with including his latest agenda of getting gays to come out, but when it starts hitting close to home in the NFL, it brings it into the locker room & into the NFL & it becomes a distraction. Those are the kinds of distractions Priefer wants to avoid.

Traveling_Vike
06-21-2013, 01:53 PM
you cannot replace gay with black. if you are black, you were born that way. it is not a choice.

I don't mean to start an argument here, but being gay is not a choice either. They are born that way, too.

HEY
06-27-2013, 06:27 PM
Chris Kluwe's farewell: 'Iíll never forget feeling Minnesota' (http://www.minnpost.com/sports/2013/06/super-bummed-chris-kluwes-farewell-i-ll-never-forget-feeling-minnesota#.UcxK_ZoXUd8.twitter)

I will miss my teammates, my friends, my house. I will miss Minnesota, a state I never even really thought about until I was informed that I would be working there. I will miss the fans, and how loud they made the Old Inflatable Toilet during key moments, sound echoing down from that dirty old roof (back before it collapsed) and deafening the other team.

I will miss everything, but I will remember it all, and no matter how it ended, I will treasure the time I got to spend in this fine state. I may have to look California now (and I gotta be honest, the winters are a lot better) but Iíll never forget feeling Minnesota.

A great farewell letter from Kluwe.

marshallvike
06-27-2013, 08:55 PM
I don't mean to start an argument here, but being gay is not a choice either. They are born that way, too.

thats a fallacy they have been teaching at gay college.:)