PDA

View Full Version : Vikings draft Gerald Hodges, OLB, Penn State in the 4th round

Minniman
04-27-2013, 01:12 PM
With the 23rd pick in the fourth round (120 overall) the Minnesota Vikings pick Gerald Hodges, OLB, Penn State

Ranger
04-27-2013, 01:15 PM
With the 23rd pick in the fourth round (120 overall) the Minnesota Vikings pick Gerald Hodges, OLB, Penn State

2013 NFL Draft - SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/draft-2013/tracker/#players/94377)

Analysis

More than a decade ago, an under-sized linebacker (While he weighed 243 at Combine, he did not play that heavy during the season) like Hodges likely would have had no chance of being drafted because size and strength were viewed as vital to be effective run defenders. However, in today's pass first NFL if a linebacker lacks strength to be a force against the run and is just adequate in that area, but shines in pass coverage he has good value because linebackers who are strong in coverage are hard to find. Overall, I do not anticipate Hodges being a high draft choice, but on the third day of the draft some team it going to make a wise choice. He has the talent to develop into a quality starter if he can improve his play against blockers and should excel on special teams coverage units, which gives him more value. .

Read More: 2013 NFL Draft - SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/draft-2013/tracker/#ixzz2RgWbpzzF)

They also break down the positives and negatives.

Minniman
04-27-2013, 01:20 PM
Gerald Hodges, OLB, Penn State
Height: 6-1
Weight: 243
Arm: 32.08
40 Time: 4.78

Hodges is a hard nose player with good ball instincts. He has over 100 tackles in each of his last two seasons with Penn State.

skum
04-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Yeah, former safety who is also a tackling machine, over 100 tackles past two seasons and led his team both years..

With us going more press-man on the edges we need better coverage from our linebackers.. I endorse this pick.

Still would like another corner, maybe another wideout and some o-line depth.

Minniman
04-27-2013, 01:34 PM
The Bears picked OLB Khaseem Greene a few picks before Hodges. They are similar players, but Greene has more upside on paper. He has the better physical skills and had monster stats.

Both are OLB/Safety size. Greene played both positions in college. He moved from safety to linebacker to begin his junior season. Hodges came in to Penn State to play safety but moved to linebacker as a freshman.

marstc09
04-27-2013, 01:40 PM
I am surprised this guy was still on the board. Interesting.

snowinapril
04-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Gerald Hodges Draft Profile (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/gerald-hodges?id=2539293)
Small Clip

Overview

A converted high school quarterback and successful wrestler (finished third in the state going 40-1 as a junior) from New Jersey, Hodges enrolled early and began his career at safety. He moved to linebacker during his true freshman season due to injuries there, playing in every game (three tackles). Hodges suffered a hairline fracture in his left leg after a hit on the opening kickoff against Alabama in 2010, missing four games. He consistently contributed after his return, starting one game and making 31 tackles, 2.5 for loss, on the year.

During the trials and tribulations of the Jerry Sandusky scandal in the 2011 season, Hodges led Penn State with 106 tackles and also had 10 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks as a full-time starter and second-team All-Big Ten pick. As a senior in 2012, Hodges totaled 109 tackles (8.5 for loss), a sack, and two interceptions. For the second year in a row, Hodges earned a second-team All-Big Ten selection.
Analysis
Strengths
Former safety with short-area quickness to handle coverage responsibilities on multiple levels. Stays with running backs and tight ends in man coverage, comes off one target in zone to lay a hit on the underneath route. Flashes downhill speed to wrap up ballcarriers or force them into decisions. Active hands when engaged, willing to be physical. Works through traffic to the ball in tight quarters. Stays with receivers on short outs, can knock away the pass without interfering.

snowinapril
04-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Good in pass coverage, can also keep up with RBs

Sounds good.

singersp
04-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Glad Spielman took a LB. We needed one for sure & I believe he was projected to go higher as well.

singersp
04-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Vikings notes: Two Penn State linebackers drafted

The only time hes played inside was in a 3-4 scheme at the East-West Shrine game last season.

We thought he was a very unique athlete, Spielman said. He has the position flexibility to play a lot of different linebacker spots, either the Sam, the Will and well look at him some at Mike.

Vikings notes: Two Penn State linebackers drafted | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/205036891.html)

Doesn't sound like Hodges is a shoe-in to start at the MLB spot and maybe will be playing OLB. Will they still get a MLB in FA, move Henderson over to MLB or start Cole at that spot?

Purple Floyd
04-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Another first day starter from this draft class.

snowinapril
04-28-2013, 03:57 PM
Gerald Hodges, OLB, Penn State
Height: 6-1
Weight: 243
Arm: 32.08
40 Time: 4.78

Hodges is a hard nose player with good ball instincts. He has over 100 tackles in each of his last two seasons with Penn State.

I have heard people say they think he is undersized even though he is listed at 238. Either they fudged his weight upwards or they think he can not pack on more pounds.

Size wise he would fit the mold of another Tampa 2 type player, Derrick Brooks. Not saying he is a similar player, just making the comparison for those that use the words undersized.

Derrick Brooks, OLB at NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/player/derrickbrooks/2499807/profile)

I look forward to seeing how this guy fits our team.

Minniman
04-28-2013, 05:16 PM
I have heard people say they think he is undersized even though he is listed at 238. Either they fudged his weight upwards or they think he can not pack on more pounds.
The scuttlebutt is that he did not play at that weight, and he packed on some pounds for the combine.

marstc09
04-29-2013, 01:14 AM
(null)

Mauti plays MLB and he is a damn good one. Big 10 LB of the year and 1st team all American last year. If he stays healthy, he can be our guy. Still wouldn't mind seeing Urlacher or Dansby.

Marrdro
04-29-2013, 02:19 PM
I am surprised this guy was still on the board. Interesting.

Seems the big knock on him is his frame can't add more weight. In the end, I'm not sure why you would want him to add more but I guess its important.

Marrdro
04-29-2013, 02:23 PM

Size wise he would fit the mold of another Tampa 2 type player, Derrick Brooks. Not saying he is a similar player, just making the comparison for those that use the words undersized.

Derrick Brooks, OLB at NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/player/derrickbrooks/2499807/profile)

I look forward to seeing how this guy fits our team.

I think it depends on two things....

1. How healthy is Mauti.

2. Will Erin move inside if he isn't ready to go this year.

If he is healthy that will allow Erin to stay outside and then I assume they will ask Gerold to drop a few pounds and focus on ST's and learning from the bench.

If Mauti can't go, Erin will move inside and I bet Gerald gets his shot to start.

skum
04-30-2013, 12:34 PM
Seen some film on this guy, he is often lined up at CB in the dime package, says a lot on how his coaches trust his coverage abilities.

Marrdro
04-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Seen some film on this guy, he is often lined up at CB in the dime package, says a lot on how his coaches trust his coverage abilities.

I don't think that anyone questions his coverage abilities. At least for me, I'm more concerned about the other half of his role when playing the game.....Run Defense.....:)

tastywaves
04-30-2013, 12:38 PM
I don't think that anyone questions his coverage abilities. At least for me, I'm more concerned about the other half of his role when playing the game.....Run Defense.....:)

It's a passing league people keep telling me. Hodges should give us some more options with packages early on if nothing else.

Marrdro
04-30-2013, 12:41 PM
It's a passing league people keep telling me. Hodges should give us some more options with packages early on if nothing else.
Agree, but in the end, our pass defensive woes are going to be solved by a certain Warpig drafted in the first round. :)

tastywaves
04-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Agree, but in the end, our pass defensive woes are going to be solved by a certain Warpig drafted in the first round. :)

You mean that undersized, versatile, tasmanian devil guy with t-rex arms? Warpig just doesn't seem to fit..but if it keeps you off the we need a warpig bandwagon, warpig it is.

I also love how you continue to trivialize the back 7 when it comes to pass defense. Takes a village my friend.

Marrdro
04-30-2013, 12:54 PM
You mean that undersized, versatile, tasmanian devil guy with t-rex arms? Warpig just doesn't seem to fit..but if it keeps you off the we need a warpig bandwagon, warpig it is.

I also love how you continue to trivialize the back 7 when it comes to pass defense. Takes a village my friend.

LOL, you crack me up.......:) Who said a Warpig has to be a big fat slow guy?

And I don't trivialize the back 7. I just believe that their play will be improved if you can get better pressure out of our DT positions. Truth of the matter is, our whole defensive scheme is predicated on it or did you miss the thread I started on defense (again) today?

tastywaves
04-30-2013, 01:08 PM
LOL, you crack me up.......:) Who said a Warpig has to be a big fat slow guy?

And I don't trivialize the back 7. I just believe that their play will be improved if you can get better pressure out of our DT positions. Truth of the matter is, our whole defensive scheme is predicated on it or did you miss the thread I started on defense (again) today?

Of course their play will be improved if you give the QB less time, doesn't mean they can suck in coverage though like Brinkely and Henderson.

On the warpig thing, some crazy internet guy named Marrdro put this definition out there going into the draft:

Usually wide-bodied players that weigh around 330 pounds are more run stuffers than pass rushers

Also, don't get caught up on the strict sense of what we run on defense or offense. The text books are very slow in keeping up with the tweaks and variations made across the NFL based on talent and matchups. The Vikings showed a lot of different looks last year and will no doubt continue to evolve as the game evolves.

Marrdro
04-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Of course their play will be improved if you give the QB less time, doesn't mean they can suck in coverage though like Brinkely and Henderson.

On the warpig thing, some crazy internet guy named Marrdro put this definition out there going into the draft:

Also, don't get caught up on the strict sense of what we run on defense or offense. The text books are very slow in keeping up with the tweaks and variations made across the NFL based on talent and matchups. The Vikings showed a lot of different looks last year and will no doubt continue to evolve as the game evolves.

Pay close attention to the word "Usually" in that quote. Did I mention (in that post) that I wouldn't call Warren Sap a fat guy but I would call him a true Warpig?

tastywaves
04-30-2013, 01:41 PM

Pay close attention to the word "Usually" in that quote. Did I mention (in that post) that I wouldn't call Warren Sap a fat guy but I would call him a true Warpig?

Lol, got ya, Marrdroese spreadsheet has been updated.

Marrdro
04-30-2013, 01:49 PM
lol, got ya, marrdroese spreadsheet has been updated.
lol :)

Purple Floyd
04-30-2013, 06:37 PM
I would argue that with the changes to the way that defenders can cover the WR's that the pass rush is not as much a factor as it used to be and that coverage is more important than it used to be when Marty's defensive bible was chiseled out of stone.

With the way defenses are being spread out and the way the QB has been nearly relegated to a touch football position they can pick apart a defense with a poor secondary faster than the DL can get to them to disrupt things. By having a DB that can lock onto a WR at the LOS and take away those quick hitting passes they used to make against us in the soft zone it now puts more pressure on the QB to hold onto the ball and go through his progressions and that is going to give the DL a split second longer to get to the QB and rattle them.

Hopefully bringing in a few new LB's with more range is going to help both the d line and the secondary by not requiring them to cover for the deficiencies.

Marrdro
05-02-2013, 11:49 AM
I would argue that with the changes to the way that defenders can cover the WR's that the pass rush is not as much a factor as it used to be and that coverage is more important than it used to be when Marty's defensive bible was chiseled out of stone.

With the way defenses are being spread out and the way the QB has been nearly relegated to a touch football position they can pick apart a defense with a poor secondary faster than the DL can get to them to disrupt things. By having a DB that can lock onto a WR at the LOS and take away those quick hitting passes they used to make against us in the soft zone it now puts more pressure on the QB to hold onto the ball and go through his progressions and that is going to give the DL a split second longer to get to the QB and rattle them.

Hopefully bringing in a few new LB's with more range is going to help both the d line and the secondary by not requiring them to cover for the deficiencies.
So you think the DB takes away the quick slant in this scheme instead of a LB dropping 2 steps into his zone?

My bible isn't that old my friend. Sure there have been some changes in the game, but the basics are still the basics.

The DB presses the WR either out to the sideline (his responsibility) or into the passing lane being taken away by the LBr.

Aren't many CB's going to take the slant away from Wes Welker without LB help. The last thing you do as a CB (and it was still that way in 78 when I played) is get underneath that route in an attempt to get an INT.

Purple Floyd
05-02-2013, 04:38 PM
So you think the DB takes away the quick slant in this scheme instead of a LB dropping 2 steps into his zone?

I think the right DB can stay closer to the WR and even press/bump him at the LOS to throw off the timing with the QB and to shorten the hole in the zone between the DB and the LB. Nowhere have I ever stated that it will eliminate the responsibility the LB has in the grand scheme of things. However, speed and reach shrink the open spots in zones and make it more of a challenge for the offense to get a completion.

My bible isn't that old my friend. Sure there have been some changes in the game, but the basics are still the basics. Yep. And nothing I said is challenging that.

The DB presses the WR either out to the sideline (his responsibility) or into the passing lane being taken away by the LBr.

Yep. The variable is how close can the DB stay to the WR during that time and how quickly can the LB react to the guy coming into his zone and take over for the DB.

Aren't many CB's going to take the slant away from Wes Welker without LB help. The last thing you do as a CB (and it was still that way in 78 when I played) is get underneath that route in an attempt to get an INT.

You don't have to take it away and you probably won't. But if you knock him on his ass when he crosses the LOS it certainly puts a wrinkle in his pattern compared to giving him free range to run what he wants and then just trying to tackle him after the catch. Surely just like me you played DB a bit in HS and if so you know exactly what I mean in that when you give them a shot right out of the gates they tend to change the way they do things. That isn't even new school, heck, I remember the Packers doing just that to the vaunted Niners back in the 90's when they started to dethrone them.

jargomcfargo
05-02-2013, 11:29 PM

Seems to me coverage has always been important; the Vikings haven't had any guys good in coverage for awhile. I would be pleased if there were one corner who could give Marshall and Megatron a bad day!
With Smith at safety a good corner would allow the defense to do more than they have in the past with more press coverage.
Cook as a big cb should be suited for press coverage but plays off most of the time. Hopefully we'll see more press coverage from Rhodes.
The combination of better coverage and more pressure up the middle would be a marked improvement. Hopefully the linebackers will be able to cover.

One thing not mentioned much is the quality of the nickel backer. That is your weakest back on the field, and the other teams quarterback knows that.
The nickel and even dime backers need upgraded but that may be hard to do with Winfield gone.

Marrdro
05-03-2013, 09:32 AM
I think the right DB can stay closer to the WR and even press/bump him at the LOS to throw off the timing with the QB and to shorten the hole in the zone between the DB and the LB. Nowhere have I ever stated that it will eliminate the responsibility the LB has in the grand scheme of things. However, speed and reach shrink the open spots in zones and make it more of a challenge for the offense to get a completion.

Yep. And nothing I said is challenging that.

Yep. The variable is how close can the DB stay to the WR during that time and how quickly can the LB react to the guy coming into his zone and take over for the DB.

You don't have to take it away and you probably won't. But if you knock him on his ass when he crosses the LOS it certainly puts a wrinkle in his pattern compared to giving him free range to run what he wants and then just trying to tackle him after the catch. Surely just like me you played DB a bit in HS and if so you know exactly what I mean in that when you give them a shot right out of the gates they tend to change the way they do things. That isn't even new school, heck, I remember the Packers doing just that to the vaunted Niners back in the 90's when they started to dethrone them.
That made me chuckle.....

Look, just because we run the C2 doesn't mean we don't press. I think I saw something last year that when posted on here surprised a bunch of you on how often we do press, but in this scheme and no detriment to our CB's, they will be told to lay off at times. Its the nature of the scheme.

Mix in that there just aren't alot of cover CB's coming out and you'll get a defense that isn't very exciting to watch.

In the end, our biggest issue is and has always been when we blitz our LB'rs (on the short to intermediate routes). It opens up to much stuff underneath which to the casual fan, looks like a hit on the CB.

marshallvike
05-03-2013, 09:36 AM

Look, just because we run the C2 doesn't mean we don't press. I think I saw something last year that when posted on here surprised a bunch of you on how often we do press, but in this scheme and no detriment to our CB's, they will be told to lay off at times. Its the nature of the scheme.

Mix in that there just aren't alot of cover CB's coming out and you'll get a defense that isn't very exciting to watch.

In the end, our biggest issue is and has always been when we blitz our LB'rs (on the short to intermediate routes). It opens up to much stuff underneath which to the casual fan, looks like a hit on the CB.

We are likely to see a heavy dose of that this year also.
Still likely weak in the middle, but maybe someone steps up and surprises us. I am hoping it is Cole

By the way marr, you missed some pretty funny stuff while you were gone. the funniest of which was PF being labled as the Vikings Yes man.;)

Marrdro
05-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Still likely weak in the middle, but maybe someone steps up and surprises us. I am hoping it is Cole

I hope not. I hope that the addition of Shariff will allow us to play Guion a bit more in his natural position. That, along with Ballard in the rotation should help keep their legs a bit fresher should really help improve our middle play on the DL.

Shariff, either at the 3 or the 1 should provide us with instant pressure from that area that hasn't been there for 2 or 3 years. That should help alleviate the need to blitz with LBrs as much as well as provide a opening for the QB to step up and around the edge rush provided by the DE's.

marshallvike
05-03-2013, 09:54 AM

By the way marr, you missed some pretty funny stuff while you were gone. the funniest of which was PF being labled as the Vikings Yes man.;)

Marrdro
05-03-2013, 09:57 AM

PF meaning Purple Floyd? Someone needs to bump a thread....:)

marshallvike
05-03-2013, 10:05 AM
PF meaning Purple Floyd? Someone needs to bump a thread....:)

The one and only

Marrdro
05-03-2013, 10:09 AM
The one and only

Bump the thread or at least tell me the thread title.

marshallvike
05-03-2013, 10:26 AM
Bump the thread or at least tell me the thread title.

Just bumped one where I believe it began. The Yes man title has stuck since then.:rofl:

This Is No Way To Do Business

Purple Floyd
05-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Just bumped one where I believe it began. The Yes man title has stuck since then.

This Is No Way To Do Business

Hey, I just shed my old skin and am getting pretty comfortable in my new one.

tastywaves
05-03-2013, 07:04 PM

Yep. And nothing I said is challenging that.

I`m pretty sure we blitzed the least of all NFL teams last year.

Purple Floyd
05-03-2013, 07:21 PM

Yeah, I am not advocating that we press 100% of the time or anything. I just want to have the luxury of being able to do it when the situation calls for it. Obviously it is really only situational at best depending on time, down and distance but we have not had the personnel to do it at will when the situation called for it for a hell of a long time.

MaxVike
05-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Re: Hodges...we will be very happy with him for many years. Analysis paralysis...kid has instincts, can cover, can run, has heart. My money is on him, a Penn St linebacker, to be a starter, on the Vikes, for many years. He will make Special Teams contributions this year and, I think he will find himself on the field a lot. Do you hear me Kevon? This 4th Rounder was far from a wasted pick...