PDA

View Full Version : Doubting a retractable roof

singersp
04-17-2013, 07:17 AM
Doubting a retractable roof

Vikings stadium: Doubting a retractable roof - NFC North Blog - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/55203/vikings-stadium-doubting-a-retractable-roof)

Purple Floyd
04-17-2013, 07:34 AM
Yep. Too much money for what you get in return. Besides, our fan base is soft. Too soft to watch a game outside of climate control. If they had to go to the games in the open they would just sit at home and watch the big screen.

That being said I find it hard to believe that with a fixed roof they are tight on the budget considering what closed roof stadiums have been built for and even what retracts roof stadiums have been built for in the past several years.

NodakPaul
04-17-2013, 09:02 AM
I think a retractable roof is a stupid idea anyway. Costs too much for too little use. A retractable window could be interesting, but it is definitely a luxury not a need.

Call me soft all you want, but I believe I have earned my right to enjoy football in comfort. I do find it funny that most of the people who claim that the fan base is soft for wanting a roof don't bother going to games anyway...

RK.
04-17-2013, 12:24 PM
I thought it depends on whether or not the Wilf's want pro soccer or not.

Purple Floyd
04-17-2013, 02:19 PM
I think a retractable roof is a stupid idea anyway. Costs too much for too little use. A retractable window could be interesting, but it is definitely a luxury not a need.

Call me soft all you want, but I believe I have earned my right to enjoy football in comfort. I do find it funny that most of the people who claim that the fan base is soft for wanting a roof don't bother going to games anyway...

Because they are played indoors. Some of us are out hunting, ice fishing etc.
Why the hell would you want to bundle up for the tailgate and the walk from the truck and then try to get all the winter clothes into a narrow seat while you watch the game? If I am dressing for the weather I am going to be out in it.

singersp
04-19-2013, 06:50 AM
Why the hell would you want to bundle up for the tailgate and the walk from the truck and then try to get all the winter clothes into a narrow seat while you watch the game? If I am dressing for the weather I am going to be out in it.

Lucky for you that they'll be playing outdoors at home for all of 2014, so you'll have the opportunity to enjoy several Vikings games, unless of course you're out hunting or ice fishing during the game.

You won't have to peel off all those layers for September/October tailgating you'd normally have to if they played indoors.

Purple Floyd
04-19-2013, 07:45 AM
Yeah, if I go to any games those will be the ones for sure. there will be more than one season played away from the dome.

jargomcfargo
04-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Yeah, if I go to any games those will be the ones for sure. there will be more than one season played away from the dome.

You wont have to shower for months !

VikesfaninWis
04-19-2013, 02:51 PM
I like the idea of a retractable window overlooking downtown Minneapolis better than a retractable roof. I think it would look cooler, and be more beneficial to the team and the fans.

jmcdon00
04-23-2013, 11:51 AM
I would much rather they invested in better scoreboards, jumbo trons, replay screens, wifi, ect ect than a window. I want a better view of the game, not a better view of a skyline.

scottishvike
04-23-2013, 06:13 PM
What happens with the roof also affects what type of surface the stadium will have. A retractable roof (or none at all) could mean going back to grass.

NodakPaul
04-23-2013, 06:22 PM
What happens with the roof also affects what type of surface the stadium will have. A retractable roof (or none at all) could mean going back to grass.

True, but I doubt they would go to grass because of the difficulty in keeping it game ready in this climate.

singersp
04-24-2013, 08:11 AM
True, but I doubt they would go to grass because of the difficulty in keeping it game ready in this climate.

It shouldn't be anymore difficult than it is in GB or Chicago.

Are there any numbers out there on what it costs for upkeep/maintenance on an open air stadium up here with real grass that's exposed to the elements rain, snow (removal-field & seats) hail, dust, etc to one that's retractable & one with a fixed roof?

jmcdon00
05-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Do you have a heater in that fish house?

Purple Floyd
05-06-2013, 06:22 PM
Most of the time no. But if I do I have a place to put my coat if I do decide to heat it up.

Lippythelion69
05-10-2013, 02:50 AM
Other than Indy and NO all other superbowl winners played in the weather all season
Just saying

Lippythelion69
05-10-2013, 02:52 AM
And St. Louis

Purple Floyd
05-10-2013, 07:32 AM
Looks like the state is now liking at raising other non football related taxes to close the funding gap for their 38 million dollar annual contribution. Should be interesting to see who gets to have that extracted from their wallet.

Purple Floyd
05-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Vikings Stadium Plan Could Include Taxpayer Dollars | KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul (http://kstp.com/article/stories/s3026867.shtml)

Vikings Stadium Plan Could Include Taxpayer DollarsFor the past couple of years Governor Dayton and state lawmakers insisted any Vikings stadium financing plan would not include general fund taxpayer dollars.
However, that might change now that pull tab revenue is falling so woefully short of projections.
http://kstp.com/kstpImages/repository/2013-05/Vikings_Stadium_Plan_Could_Include_Taxpayer_Dollars-062543.jpgGovernor Dayton said Wednesday he's negotiating with DFL legislators who control the House and Senate to come up with a back-up funding source before the legislative session ends May 20.
A source in the governor's office says they've discussed using general fund revenue to make up any annual shortfall.
No new taxes would be raised specifically for the Vikings stadium, but the source acknowledges it could still be a "political problem" to use general fund revenue that doesn't come from pull tab sales.