PDA

View Full Version : Vikings Re-Sign Jerome Simpson

Culpepper_4717
03-12-2013, 01:24 PM
The Minnesota Vikings have reached an agreement with wide receiver Jerome Simpson on a one-year contract, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

2013 NFL free agency -- Jerome Simpson, Minnesota Vikings agree to 1-year deal, according to source - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9043978/2013-nfl-free-agency-jerome-simpson-minnesota-vikings-agree-1-year-deal-according-source)

Purple Floyd
03-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Super Bowl!

i_bleed_purple
03-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Considering Simpson is currently our best receiver, something that needs to happen.

We can't go into the season with our top-3 receivers not knowing the system. That's a recipe for disaster.

2beersTommy
03-12-2013, 01:53 PM
I have a feeling that this is our "big name" WR signing

tastywaves
03-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Super Bowl!

Yea baby! Flipper is back.

VikesfaninWis
03-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Hold the press, the Vikes are drastically improved at the WR position now:rolleyes:

I saw where Carlson restructured his contract slightly, if anything that guy should have been released. You can draft a TE in a later round that can give you better production then what Carlson gave this team. Not to mention at a fraction of the cost.

midgensa
03-12-2013, 03:05 PM
I have no problem at all with bringing Simpson back. I can live with him as a No. 2 or No. 3 guy if he can get his ass healthy. But we still have a lot of work to do at this position.

As for Carlson, cutting him will not save any cap money because he is still in his guarantee monies, so you might as well keep him around. His restructuring makes him a virtual lock to be a cap casualty later on, but gives him a chance to earn some "incentive money" now. But he was getting $9 million no matter what, so we might as well keep him around for it, especially now that he has a lower cap numbers this upcoming season.

Mr Anderson
03-12-2013, 03:12 PM
I still want to bring in at least 4 more receivers this offseason, including a first round draft pick.

Depending on the money, this isn't a bad deal. I'd imagine that it's a pretty small contract though, plus it's just one year. He's a freak athlete and made a few clutch catches last season. If he come into his own he could be pretty damn good.

skum
03-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Has upside, but scored 0 TD's last season..

Something has to happen at the WR position.

VikesfaninWis
03-12-2013, 03:20 PM

Exactly... Even a rookie that made his first appearance at midpoint of the season doubled him up on TD's, and I believe yards? I would have to go back and check the yards.

tastywaves
03-12-2013, 03:24 PM

No doubt, here's what we currently have on the roster:

Simpson makes five and easily is the most experienced of the group. Jarius Wright, Stephen Burton, practice-squad holdover Chris Summers and Greg Childs, who missed all of his rookie season after tearing both his patellar tendons in camp, have 29 NFL catches combined.

Outside of Simpson that is....29 NFL catches combined!

MulletMullitia
03-12-2013, 03:32 PM
You signed the wrong Jerome, idiot!

kevoncox
03-12-2013, 03:33 PM
You signed the wrong Jerome, idiot!

That Simpson is a hell of a blocker.

Purple Floyd
03-12-2013, 06:37 PM
I will say one thing that seems to be getting glossed over, If you watch AP's long runs last year, Harvin, Simpson and Jenkins were all very, very good at blocking for him down the field. Jenkins was especially good at downfield blocking and we may very well see a big decline in the yards peterson gets as a result of the turnover we are gong to have at the WR position. Hopefully the coaches do a good job of getting the new guys to pick up where we left off but it is very possible that this hurts his production.

marstc09
03-15-2013, 02:08 AM
I like Simpson. Has the pieces but was suspended and injured.

Minniman
03-16-2013, 08:55 AM
I don't mind bringing Simpson back. He was injured much of last season, and he could not show much.

I would have liked a two or three season deal though. These one season trial deals without a team option for a second or third year are not good value if the player shows his upside.

jargomcfargo
03-16-2013, 11:17 AM
What about those seasons he wasn't injured and didn't show much ?
Hopefully we will draft a young wide receiver and Simpson will be a back up.
He's been in the league for years with out producing much. At some point the excuses aren't valid.

VikesfaninWis
03-16-2013, 12:32 PM
What about those seasons he wasn't injured and didn't show much ?
Hopefully we will draft a young wide receiver and Simpson will be a back up.
He's been in the league for years with out producing much. At some point the excuses aren't valid.

I agree. We will be drafting a WR, and Simpson will take his rightful spot as a 4th WR. It would be awesome to have Keenan Allen/ Jennings/Wright/Rudolph/AD. Even a mediocre QB should be able to do good with 5 legit weapons on the field.

kevoncox
03-16-2013, 12:37 PM
I'll say it again on Wright....
The love for him is premature. His upside is that of an average NFL WR. He's not that yet.
It's just that it's been so bad here...we have forgotten what the norm is. Percy played half the year and still lead the team in catches.....WTF. Its like anytime a guy catches a ball he is instantly the next big thing to us. He should be a 4th wr at best.

VikesfaninWis
03-16-2013, 12:43 PM
I'll say it again on Wright....
The love for him is premature. His upside is that of an average NFL WR. He's not that yet.
It's just that it's been so bad here...we have forgotten what the norm is. Percy played half the year and still lead the team in catches.....WTF. Its like anytime a guy catches a ball he is instantly the next big thing to us. He should be a 4th wr at best.

He would make a perfectly fine slot receiver man. The guy has very good hands, and has speed to burn. With a little coaching and being put in that position, I can see big things from him. If you couldn't tell by the games he played in that he has a lot of talent, then I don't know what to say.

kevoncox
03-16-2013, 12:55 PM
He would make a perfectly fine slot receiver man. The guy has very good hands, and has speed to burn. With a little coaching and being put in that position, I can see big things from him. If you couldn't tell by the games he played in that he has a lot of talent, then I don't know what to say.

Again..he caught
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZspzqeZj6o
Is this the talent of which you speak of...
He has speed but he is not an amazing talent. 2 of the td catches on that play were simply blown underneath coverages...nothing more nothing less ( play designed) where he caught an open pass. The other was a pass where he tourched the Lions secondary......congrats.
The play action play on the double move was nice. WHich makes my point. He is an average WR he shines so much more because everyone else we had looked like shit.

BTW at the 1:00 mark.. I love the pass from Ponder. Almost turned a sure TD into a incomplete or stuff.

PackSux!
03-16-2013, 11:03 PM
Again..he caught
He has speed but he is not an amazing talent. 2 of the td catches on that play were simply blown underneath coverages...nothing more nothing less ( play designed) where he caught an open pass. The other was a pass where he tourched the Lions secondary......congrats.
The play action play on the double move was nice. WHich makes my point. He is an average WR he shines so much more because everyone else we had looked like shit.

BTW at the 1:00 mark.. I love the pass from Ponder. Almost turned a sure TD into a incomplete or stuff.

The whole receiving core will look better when Ponder stops throwing the ball and MBT starts throwing the ball.

Jereamiah
03-16-2013, 11:31 PM
Read on here where Simpson did more for the team as a downfield blocker then he did as a pass-catcher. Completely accurate. Ponder is the guy. The FO is stickin with him, and he does best getting the ball to the tight ends and droppin in a screen. Jennings adds route running and more dependable hands then Simpson. I can't stand Simpson, but that's just me. My two cents: AP, Rudolph, and Jennings, along with Blair...Those are the go-to guys. Would have preferred AP, Amendola, Rudolph, and Blair. Again, just a feelin a got

Purple Floyd
03-16-2013, 11:54 PM
Again..he caught

The whole receiving core will look better when Ponder stops throwing the ball and MBT starts throwing the ball.

Negative Nancy!

Purple Floyd
03-17-2013, 12:07 AM
I saw some potential in Simpson at Cincy and sometimes players need a full year in a new system to get things down. I am going to wait and see how he starts out this year because it is possible that he will be a totally different player with a year under his belt.

Or he just might not be a good fit. Time will tell. If he does come around we will have the roster filled out on offense. We have more issues on defense.

PackSux!
03-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Hopefully Simpson is fixing his hands this off season.

Minniman
03-19-2013, 12:40 AM
It would be awesome to have Keenan Allen/ Jennings/Wright/Rudolph/AD. Even a mediocre QB should be able to do good with 5 legit weapons on the field.
That begs the question, is Ponder even a mediocre QB?