PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: Vikings Agree to Trade Percy Harvin to Seattle

Dibbzz
03-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Vikings agree to trade Harvin to Seahawks

The star wideout will be dealt to Seattle for draft picks pending Harvin passing a physical, NFL Network contributor Jay Glazer reports.

from NFL.com homepage right now.

But what did we get for him??

Edit: 12:17 P.M. this is from: Minnesota Vikings trying to trade Percy Harvin -- sources - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9040142/minnesota-vikings-trying-trade-percy-harvin-sources)

The Minnesota Vikings are trying to trade wide receiver Percy Harvin and are in discussions with the Seattle Seahawks, among other teams, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Seattle has a connection to Harvin. The team's offensive coordinator, Darrell Bevell, held the same job with Minnesota when the Vikings drafted Harvin in 2009.

Last month at the scouting combine, Vikings general manager Rick Spielman insisted he had no intent to deal the receiver, who he called a "dynamic playmaker," and said he wouldn't even take phone calls about a trade.

Harvin, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract, badly sprained his left ankle on Nov. 4 at Seattle last season and didn't play again. The Vikings placed him on season-ending injured reserve a month later.

Harvin made waves last summer when he expressed unhappiness with the organization and requested a trade. By the time training camp arrived, he had simmered down. He went home to Florida for his rehabilitation after he was placed on injured reserve, but coach Leslie Frazier downplayed his absence, noting that others have chosen to do the same.

He started last season playing like a Most Valuable Player award candidate, leading the league in total yards (receiving, rushing and returning) through nine games in 2012 until he was hurt.

Harvin still led the team in receptions (62) and yards receiving (677) despite playing barely half of a season, and he had a kickoff return for a touchdown as well as 96 yards rushing and one score on the ground.

The 24-year-old Harvin has 7,168 all-purpose yards in his four-season career with 29 touchdowns (20 receiving, five return, four rushing). He also has 280 receptions in 54 career games.

Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, ESPN.com NFC West blogger Mike Sando and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Dibbzz
03-11-2013, 01:20 PM
From The Washington Post: Percy Harvin traded to Seahawks, report says (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2013/03/11/percy-harvin-traded-to-seahawks-report-says/)

"Wide receiver Percy Harvin reportedly wants to play no longer for the Minnesota Vikings — and the team apparently has decided to accommodate him."

From NFL.com: Vikings agree to trade Percy Harvin to Seahawks - NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000149327/article/vikings-agree-to-trade-percy-harvin-to-seahawks)

After insisting that Percy Harvin is not for sale, the Minnesota Vikings are shifting course.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported the Vikings have spoken with multiple teams about trading the versatile but disgruntled wide receiver, according to a source with knowledge of the process. Minnesota is, indeed, trying to trade him, the source said, confirming that the Seattle Seahawks are among the interested teams. ESPN first reported the news and noted Seattle is currently favored to land Harvin.

LIVike
03-11-2013, 01:45 PM
I know its still not confirmed but if we got multiple picks including their first then that's amazing. I was expecting no more than a second. Having the 23 and 25 picks will be great

bleedpurple
03-11-2013, 01:55 PM
looks like we get the 25th pick along with a seventh rounder and a mid round pick next year.

NodakPaul
03-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Wow. Way more than I was expecting.

Very happy Vikings fan here.

NodakPaul
03-11-2013, 02:02 PM
I know its still not confirmed but if we got multiple picks including their first then that's amazing. I was expecting no more than a second. Having the 23 and 25 picks will be great

Especially in this draft, where the talent level in the top 15 just isn't there, but it is pretty good in the 15-30 range.

LIVike
03-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Well I was thinking all of the mocks have us taking either a DT (forgot which one) or a WR. Now we could very well get both and now there is no more harvin drama.

Vikefanman2000
03-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Great news! Now we can use that extra cap space to extend John Carlson by a couple years!!

Just think......13 games, 8 receptions for 43 total yards! I am betting that in 2013, JC could end up with 12-15 receptions!! I can hardly wait!

NodakPaul
03-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Well I was thinking all of the mocks have us taking either a DT (forgot which one) or a WR. Now we could very well get both and now there is no more harvin drama.

We have a helluva lot of flexibility now. We will get a WR for sure, but we could also address MLb, DT, CB, QB... It all depends on how players fall in the first. This is going to be another great draft.

idahovikefan7
03-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Of course It would be Seattle to pick him up. Wonder how long it will take for his first headache...

I think it's a lock now that they pick up either Wallace or Jennings. Personally I'd like to see Welker in purple.

Vikefanman2000
03-11-2013, 02:13 PM
I wish I knew someone in the business of making JERSEY Nameplates!

SharperImage
03-11-2013, 02:21 PM
I say we draft Keenan Allen with the 23rd pick, then trade down with our second first rounder.. acquire more picks.. then draft Justin Hunter in the 2nd with our high second round pck.

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Very happy about this. Harvin is a f'n headcase, and doesn't deserve to be here. The guy is one hell of a player when he is in the right frame of mind, but that is asking a lot of Percival Harvin.

To get the Seahawks 1st rd pick and 7th rd pick this year, and a mid round pick next year was simply genius on Spielman's part. I was holding out hope for a 1st rd pick, but thought they would get 1 2nd rd pick at the most because of the circumstances. Never thought they would get multiple picks that included a 1st this year.

We all know it will be just a matter of time before Harvin complains about something in Seattle. That is his type, never happy and needs to bitch about something. Apparently it won't be his pay because I guess they are already talking about a new deal, but it will be something along the lines of not getting enough touches, or the staff not stroking his enormous ego enough.

I cannot, and will not speak for the rest of you here, but I am extremely happy that Harvin is gone and that the Vikings got a nice return for him. We are essentially getting a better return for Harvin then we did for Moss, which is awesome. Good riddance Harvin, now you are Pete Carroll's migraine (pun intended) and their fans will see the flashes of the great player you can be, but the diva that we all know you are. See ya.

MulletMullitia
03-11-2013, 02:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcYyg_y4dsM

Dibbzz
03-11-2013, 02:43 PM
I've read a few mocks that have Keenan Allen and Cordarrelle Patterson taken before we draft at #23, so I'm wondering if we're going to have to trade up to take one of these guys? Hopefully not but at least we now have some leeway if we feel like one of the guys we covet at WR might be taken by other receiver-needy teems that pick before us (i.e. Buffalo, Miami and St. Louis).

One guy I like that should be there at #23 if Patterson and Allen are gone is Justin Hunter. He has the height and speed to be a deep threat that we haven't had in a while. That leaves us to take Sylvester Williams or Kawann Short at #25 and get us another run-stuffing DT. The possibilities for what we can do now are nearly limitless and puts us in the driver's seat now to get some good playmakers.

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Allen or Patterson would be a good fit. I haven't really seen much on Hunter. I agree, the options are limitless now, and the Vikings should have another great draft.

kevoncox
03-11-2013, 03:02 PM
I've read a few mocks that have Keenan Allen and Cordarrelle Patterson taken before we draft at #23, so I'm wondering if we're going to have to trade up to take one of these guys? Hopefully not but at least we now have some leeway if we feel like one of the guys we covet at WR might be taken by other receiver-needy teems that pick before us (i.e. Buffalo, Miami and St. Louis).

One guy I like that should be there at #23 if Patterson and Allen are gone is Justin Hunter. He has the height and speed to be a deep threat that we haven't had in a while. That leaves us to take Sylvester Williams or Kawann Short at #25 and get us another run-stuffing DT. The possibilities for what we can do now are nearly limitless and puts us in the driver's seat now to get some good playmakers.

You guys know that I don't care for Spielman but even I can't bitch about this move.

Pick #23 has to be a WR as pick 24 is the Rams.
I would love to see us draft Hunter at 23... trade down to allow some one in the early 2nd to come in and give up a 4th or 3rd to us. Draft one of the 4 Dts left (Missouri, Ohio State, Jesse Williams) and then select Woods in the 2nd.

midgensa
03-11-2013, 03:15 PM
I was very firm in the don't part with Percy camp because I did not think we would get anywhere near fair market value.

This is about as good as we could hope for. If the 2014 pick is a 4th rounder it is golden. I like having back-to-back drafts with two first round picks. Means we should have at least four solid, young starters in the fold.

I would not hate to see us go WR, WR with the two picks. Especially if we do not get one in free agency. But, in the end, this gives us a lot of draft-day flexibility and gets about as much as we could for a guy who did not want to be here.

jmcdon00
03-11-2013, 03:36 PM
I think Harvin is going to be a great fit in seattle, he'll make many pro-bowls, and probably set a few records. I think he's as talented as any player in the NFL, and I wish him well.

That said he was causing a lot of drama, and would have put a big dent in the salary cap had we resigned him. Hopefully they take the money they saved and make a big splash by grabbing Wallace, and get 2 starters in the first round of the draft.

NodakPaul
03-11-2013, 03:41 PM
I hope we face the Seahawks in the playoffs this year and destroy them. :)

Take that Harvin!
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee391/scifly/tumblr_mdzha8v0XU1rw60t7o1_500.gif

tastywaves
03-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Pretty impressive trade. I'm a bit surprised we were able to get that much for him. Seattle could be a good place for Percy, I think they will utilize him largely the way we did. The price they paid was very high though.

Makes this year's draft a lot more interesting for sure.

kevoncox
03-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Pretty impressive trade. I'm a bit surprised we were able to get that much for him. Seattle could be a good place for Percy, I think they will utilize him largely the way we did. The price they paid was very high though.

Makes this year's draft a lot more interesting for sure.

I disagree. I don't think e price they paid was too high.
Think about it this way. The picks they up are only worth the 23rd pick. Would they find a WR like Harvin with the 25th pick this year? Nope. In the past years great players have been shipped out for next to nothing ( Holmes for a 5th) but the true value is correct.

AngloVike
03-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Very happy about this. Harvin is a f'n headcase, and doesn't deserve to be here. The guy is one hell of a player when he is in the right frame of mind, but that is asking a lot of Percival Harvin.

To get the Seahawks 1st rd pick and 7th rd pick this year, and a mid round pick next year was simply genius on Spielman's part. I was holding out hope for a 1st rd pick, but thought they would get 1 2nd rd pick at the most because of the circumstances. Never thought they would get multiple picks that included a 1st this year.

We all know it will be just a matter of time before Harvin complains about something in Seattle. That is his type, never happy and needs to bitch about something. Apparently it won't be his pay because I guess they are already talking about a new deal, but it will be something along the lines of not getting enough touches, or the staff not stroking his enormous ego enough.

I cannot, and will not speak for the rest of you here, but I am extremely happy that Harvin is gone and that the Vikings got a nice return for him. We are essentially getting a better return for Harvin then we did for Moss, which is awesome. Good riddance Harvin, now you are Pete Carroll's migraine (pun intended) and their fans will see the flashes of the great player you can be, but the diva that we all know you are. See ya.

I was hoping that it wouldn't come to this but once noises started in the media then it was clear that outcome was Harvin leaving. I'm ok with this deal and will laugh my socks if Wilson goes into a slump this year. Then we'll Harvin start bitching some more, only this time he won't get his ego stroked by Carroll in the same way that people in Minnesota did.

vikinggreg
03-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Seattle is gunning for the niners but I'd lmao if in week 13 they had Rice, Harvin and Zach Miller all on IR, they have gathered some players with pop that have had troubles with injuries. Also surprised the Vikes got that much in a trade for Percy and am wondering when he will have beefs with his contract in Seattle or if he'll be calling for more touches of the ball as there are a number for players for Wilson to feed the rock to as well as his rushing abilites.

kevoncox
03-11-2013, 04:07 PM
I was very firm in the don't part with Percy camp because I did not think we would get anywhere near fair market value.

This is about as good as we could hope for. If the 2014 pick is a 4th rounder it is golden. I like having back-to-back drafts with two first round picks. Means we should have at least four solid, young starters in the fold.

I would not hate to see us go WR, WR with the two picks. Especially if we do not get one in free agency. But, in the end, this gives us a lot of draft-day flexibility and gets about as much as we could for a guy who did not want to be here.

I would like us to go WR, DT/S and then WR.
The differences in WRs aren't big.

jargomcfargo
03-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Glad to have this drama over with.
Spielman did well with this trade.
I wonder if we will ever know the real reason Percy wanted out of Minnesota ?

midgensa
03-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Victor Cruz anyone?

Vikings Very Interested In Victor Cruz (http://www.profootballcentral.com/2013/03/11/vikings-very-interested-in-victor-cruz/)

tastywaves
03-11-2013, 04:35 PM
I disagree. I don't think e price they paid was too high.
Think about it this way. The picks they up are only worth the 23rd pick. Would they find a WR like Harvin with the 25th pick this year? Nope. In the past years great players have been shipped out for next to nothing ( Holmes for a 5th) but the true value is correct.

You need to also factor in his contract which could very well be in excess of $10M/yr. Between Rice and Harvin they could easily consume $20M of their salary cap.

The picks Seattle gave up essentially only gave them the rights to negotiate a contract with Percy. That's a pretty steep cost.

I think Percy is a very talented player and may live up to the price, but he also brings along a lot of risks that would make me very hesitant to pay this high of a price.

MulletMullitia
03-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Yes please

skum
03-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Good deal for us.. Don't want players around that don't wanna be here.. Waiting to see the contract numbers from Seattle but 3 draftpicks including a first-rounder was way more than what i thought we could get for a player like him.

Percy is a great player when he plays, but we have seen him on the sideline to much here in Minny.

From what i know Profootballcentral is rubbish when it comes to rumours, but if we can snag Cruz out of New York and slot Jarius Wright in to the percy role, we are on our way.

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Victor Cruz anyone?

Vikings Very Interested In Victor Cruz (http://www.profootballcentral.com/2013/03/11/vikings-very-interested-in-victor-cruz/)

I had mentioned this possibility right after the Harvin trade. The only thing about this story that gets me is that the Vikings don't have to make a trade unless the Giants match what the Vikings offer Cruz as a RFA. If the Giants didn't match the Vikings offer, then the Giants would get the one of the Vikings 1st rd picks.

The only way I can see them talking trade is if the offer is lower than a 1st rd pick and the Giants don't believe the Vikings or any other team would give up their 1st rd pick for Cruz. If the Vikings got Cruz for anything less than a 1st rd pick, I would be happy with that. Then draft a stud WR with one of their 1st rd picks this year.

All I know is that the Vikings absolutely need to either sign a free agent WR like Wallace or Jennings, or trade for a WR like Cruz, or either trade a late pick for Boldin or wait for him to be cut. Someone will offer the Ravens something for Boldin, so maybe throw a 4th rd pick at them and see if they bite.

If the Vikings try to rebuild the receiving group through the draft, then I am going back to the Rick Spielman is dumber than a mound of dirt scenario. The only way to take a average at best QB to the next level is to get him some weapons. I would hope that the Vikings have a few tricks up their sleeves, otherwise this could be a long and frustrating year for Viking fans. There is no Megatron, AJ Green, or Julio Jones in this draft. They need to get some guys in here via free agency or trade, then focus on the draft. You can't have to many weapons, especially when you have a mediocre QB with no backup who can spark the offense.

marshallvike
03-11-2013, 04:53 PM
I hope we face the Seahawks in the playoffs this year and destroy them. :)

Take that Harvin!
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee391/scifly/tumblr_mdzha8v0XU1rw60t7o1_500.gif

looks like that guy didn't like the way she cleaned house:rofl:

MulletMullitia
03-11-2013, 05:00 PM
If we acquire Cruz, I will take down the Fire Spielman campaign once and for all. He definitely won the Harvin trade. But we are a worse team than we were yesterday. 2 picks (even great picks) won't change that this year. We swung on Boldin and missed with a total lowball. We better not miss tomorrow, or we will lose the veterans of this team.

tastywaves
03-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Victor Cruz anyone?

He would be a great addition, although a very expensive one. Instantly becomes the best route runner we've seen in a long time.

kevoncox
03-11-2013, 05:10 PM
If we had landed Boldin for a 6th... I would have stfu about Spielman. So close to shutting me up, keep trying Spiel...

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Yeah, like the Vikings couldn't have offered a 5th or 6th rd pick for Boldin? Our 6th rd pick would have been better than the 49ers for obvious reasons. I would have to assume that the Ravens asked the Vikings for their 6th rd pick to sweeten the deal, but the Vikings declined.

Hope that means they are seriously targeting a different high profile WR. If they aren't, something is seriously wrong with this front office. The Vikings only had 1 real threat last season, and that was the headcase Harvin. With trading him and releasing Jenkins, the Vikings basically have High School talent at the WR position now.

Not to mention that Peterson was on Twitter voicing his displeasure of the Harvin trade. It was best for the team to trade him, but I am sure that the two of them were close friends and Peterson is pissed off about the traded. Need to do something to keep your star player, and the fans happy. Your deal Spielman.

Jereamiah
03-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Danny Amendola?? Anyone? Thoughts?

jmcdon00
03-11-2013, 05:32 PM
I don't know if San Fran got a good deal on Boldin or not. He has one year left on his contract worth 6million, with a cap hit of 7.5million. He wouldn't restructure with the Ravens, so he probably won't with the 49ers. That means after this season he will be a free agent. I'd rather invest in a longer term solution.

NodakPaul
03-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Danny Amendola?? Anyone? Thoughts?

I would not be opposed or surprised to see the Vikings pursue Amendola. He fits the mold - young, impactful, cheap.

I know he has some health issues though, and I also heard that the Eagles were going to try and sign him. We'll see though. FA starts in about 6 1/2 hours... :)

NodakPaul
03-11-2013, 05:36 PM
I don't know if San Fran got a good deal on Boldin or not. He has one year left on his contract worth 6million, with a cap hit of 7.5million. He wouldn't restructure with the Ravens, so he probably won't with the 49ers. That means after this season he will be a free agent. I'd rather invest in a longer term solution.

For a 6th rounder it is a decent deal. I would have been happy with it. But it is what it is.

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Sources: Percy Harvin's lack of confidence in Christian Ponder was final straw for Vikings

Percy Harvin wanted two things this offseason: money and a better quarterback.
On Monday, Harvin got closer to both when the Minnesota Vikings reportedly dealt him to the Seattle Seahawks for three draft picks. According to Jay Glazer of Fox Sports, the Vikings get a first- and seventh-round pick this year, and a mid-round pick in 2014 for Harvin.
That's a nice haul for a unique player with both wide receiver and running back skills. The problem for Minnesota, though, was that it found Harvin to also illustrate a uniquely disruptive attitude.

According to two sources, the straw that broke the Vikings' back with Harvin is when he bemoaned the fact that quarterback Christian Ponder, a 2011 first-round pick, was not good enough. That came even though Ponder consistently fed Harvin the ball.
Last season, Harvin had team highs of 62 catches for 677 yards, and added three touchdowns before suffering a season-ending injury in the Vikings' ninth game.
Now, Harvin goes to Seattle, which has wunderkind quarterback Russell Wilson. Wilson not only pushed Robert Griffin III for Rookie of the Year this season, but also happens to have a lot in common with Harvin. Both are 24 and grew up in the eastern part of Virginia: Harvin from Virginia Beach and Wilson from Richmond.
In other words, they have known of each other for a long time and there's enough respect between the two that Harvin likely won't create more trouble. Wilson is probably one of the few people who can keep Harvin in line.
Maybe.
In trading for Harvin, Seattle is taking on a guy who is loaded with issues. Harvin was difficult to deal with in college, reportedly failed a drug test at the NFL scouting combine in 2009 and threatened to walk out on the Vikings last offseason in displeasure over his contract.
Then there are the reports that he got into a minor altercation with Vikings coach Leslie Frazier last season when Minnesota put him on injured reserve in December. Frazier is one of the classiest, nicest men in football, just about the last coach you could imagine getting into a fight with a player.

Throw on top of that his complaints about Ponder and you have a guy who is as much misanthrope as mismatch. Harvin is a great player once you get to Sunday. It's the rest of the week that he is hard to manage.
With most human beings, rewarding that kind of behavior with more money only makes the behavior worse, not better. That means that Wilson and Seattle coach Pete Carroll, one of the most unceasingly positive people in the NFL, must find a way to keep Harvin in line even they though have little authority over him based on the contract he just negotiated.
The exact amount of that contract is unknown as of the moment, but Harvin was seeking a deal just south of Calvin Johnson (eight years, $132 million) and Larry Fitzgerald (eight years, $120 million). Whether Harvin got to $14 million or only $10 million, the point is that he's essentially a lot richer today than he was yesterday.
And as the saying goes, mo' money, mo' problems.
At least that's the potential with Harvin. At the same time, he can be flat-out dominant when put next to a quarterback like Wilson. In college, Harvin teamed with Tim Tebow to win a BCS title during the 2008 season. Harvin lined up everywhere that season, but was particularly effective when lined up in the backfield next to Tebow, where defenses had to pick their poison of who to stop.

Harvin makes the receiving corps of Sidney Rice and Golden Tate more respectable. He also takes stress off running back Marshawn Lynch because defenses won't be able to load up on the run. Wilson's ability to run the read-option just got even better.
But it all comes with a concern.
What is Harvin going to want next?

kevoncox
03-11-2013, 05:37 PM
A player like Boldin for a 6th is a steal. Even if he becomes a FA...I would gladly pay him 6 million a year for 3 more years.

MulletMullitia
03-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Trade away Percy and somehow convince the fanbase that Danny Amendola was our best option? Yeah... that sounds like Spielman. Cruz or bust! Bring the salsa dance to Minnesota.

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Looks like we kinda know what some of Harvin's issues were with the Vikings. Can't say that I blame him in that aspect, but the guy could have went about it in a different way. We don't hear AD saying anything about Ponder, even though we would have to assume that he feels the same way. Hell, even we fans feel the same way.

Wonder if maybe AD is starting to feel like Barry Sanders 2.0? The Vikings better do something and quick to not waste this guys career. I feel bad for AD, all that talent and the front office still can't get it right. GB would have won a few titles by now if they had AD on their team, just saying.

tastywaves
Yeah, like the Vikings couldn't have offered a 5th or 6th rd pick for Boldin? Our 6th rd pick would have been better than the 49ers for obvious reasons. I would have to assume that the Ravens asked the Vikings for their 6th rd pick to sweeten the deal, but the Vikings declined.

Hope that means they are seriously targeting a different high profile WR. If they aren't, something is seriously wrong with this front office. The Vikings only had 1 real threat last season, and that was the headcase Harvin. With trading him and releasing Jenkins, the Vikings basically have High School talent at the WR position now.

Not to mention that Peterson was on Twitter voicing his displeasure of the Harvin trade. It was best for the team to trade him, but I am sure that the two of them were close friends and Peterson is pissed off about the traded. Need to do something to keep your star player, and the fans happy. Your deal Spielman.

It's also possible Boldin has no desire to come to MN. SanFran is a much sexier destination for him.

The same could very well be true for Cruz, Wallace, Jennings or any other high profile guy on the market.

NodakPaul
Sources: Percy Harvin's lack of confidence in Christian Ponder was final straw for Vikings...

From that article...

Harvin is a great player once you get to Sunday. It's the rest of the week that he is hard to manage.

Probably the best way to sum up Harvin that I have seen.

Seattle got a great player who is also a pain in the ass. The picks were worth more to the Vikings than the player, but it is possible that it will be the other way around for Seattle. Quite possibly a win-win here, which you don't see very often.

MulletMullitia
03-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Sources: Percy Harvin's lack of confidence in Christian Ponder was final straw for Vikings

On Monday, Harvin got closer to both when the Minnesota Vikings reportedly dealt him to the Seattle Seahawks for three draft picks. According to Jay Glazer of Fox Sports, the Vikings get a first- and seventh-round pick this year, and a mid-round pick in 2014 for Harvin.
That's a nice haul for a unique player with both wide receiver and running back skills. The problem for Minnesota, though, was that it found Harvin to also illustrate a uniquely disruptive attitude.

We were all mad about the money demands. But was he off base about Ponder? I don't think so. Let's remember that Christian missed just as many playoff games as Percy did this year. We are putting all faith behind a REACH that has proven NOTHING. Percy may have been a pain in the ass, but he was a damn good football player. Rick better have a lot more up his sleeve than a few more draft picks. The first was great. More than I thought we would get. But we aren't a rebuilding team anymore. Evidenced by Adrian's displeasure with this trade!

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2013, 05:44 PM
Trade away Percy and somehow convince the fanbase that Danny Amendola was our best option? Yeah... that sounds like Spielman. Cruz or bust! Bring the salsa dance to Minnesota.

Not Cruz or bust, but I smell what you are stepping in. One would have to think now that Greg Jennings can see what is happening here, and the fact that AD is not happy with the Harvin deal, that he will not sign here now. If that is the case, they have to trade for a WR that has no say so if they come to this team. Right now, this team is a PR nightmare with not having any kind of passing game, and they play in a passing league.

kevoncox
03-11-2013, 05:44 PM

According to two sources, the straw that broke the Vikings' back with Harvin is when he bemoaned the fact that quarterback Christian Ponder, a 2011 first-round pick, was not good enough. That came even though Ponder consistently fed Harvin the ball.
Last season, Harvin had team highs of 62 catches for 677 yards, and added three touchdowns before suffering a season-ending injury in the Vikings' ninth game.
Now, Harvin goes to Seattle, which has wunderkind quarterback Russell Wilson. Wilson not only pushed Robert Griffin III for Rookie of the Year this season, but also happens to have a lot in common with Harvin. Both are 24 and grew up in the eastern part of Virginia: Harvin from Virginia Beach and Wilson from Richmond.
In other words, they have known of each other for a long time and there's enough respect between the two that Harvin likely won't create more trouble. Wilson is probably one of the few people who can keep Harvin in line.
Maybe.
In trading for Harvin, Seattle is taking on a guy who is loaded with issues. Harvin was difficult to deal with in college, reportedly failed a drug test at the NFL scouting combine in 2009 and threatened to walk out on the Vikings last offseason in displeasure over his contract.
Then there are the reports that he got into a minor altercation with Vikings coach Leslie Frazier last season when Minnesota put him on injured reserve in December. Frazier is one of the classiest, nicest men in football, just about the last coach you could imagine getting into a fight with a player.

Throw on top of that his complaints about Ponder and you have a guy who is as much misanthrope as mismatch. Harvin is a great player once you get to Sunday. It's the rest of the week that he is hard to manage.
With most human beings, rewarding that kind of behavior with more money only makes the behavior worse, not better. That means that Wilson and Seattle coach Pete Carroll, one of the most unceasingly positive people in the NFL, must find a way to keep Harvin in line even they though have little authority over him based on the contract he just negotiated.
The exact amount of that contract is unknown as of the moment, but Harvin was seeking a deal just south of Calvin Johnson (eight years, $132 million) and Larry Fitzgerald (eight years, $120 million). Whether Harvin got to $14 million or only $10 million, the point is that he's essentially a lot richer today than he was yesterday.
And as the saying goes, mo' money, mo' problems.
At least that's the potential with Harvin. At the same time, he can be flat-out dominant when put next to a quarterback like Wilson. In college, Harvin teamed with Tim Tebow to win a BCS title during the 2008 season. Harvin lined up everywhere that season, but was particularly effective when lined up in the backfield next to Tebow, where defenses had to pick their poison of who to stop.
Harvin makes the receiving corps of Sidney Rice and Golden Tate more respectable. He also takes stress off running back Marshawn Lynch because defenses won't be able to load up on the run. Wilson's ability to run the read-option just got even better.
But it all comes with a concern.
What is Harvin going to want next?

Getting the ball a lot as a WR doesn't mean that you are happy. A l

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2013, 05:46 PM
We were all mad about the money demands. But was he off base about Ponder? I don't think so. Let's remember that Christian missed just as many playoff games as Percy did this year. We are putting all faith behind a REACH that has proven NOTHING. Percy may have been a pain in the ass, but he was a damn good football player. Rick better have a lot more up his sleeve than a few more draft picks. The first was great. More than I thought we would get. But we aren't a rebuilding team anymore. Evidenced by Adrian's displeasure with this trade!

I hear ya man. I am the last one to support Ponder, I still think he is the biggest pussy of a pro sports player to not play in that playoff game. Several QB's have played with worse injuries, and he bowed out. I just hope that AD doesn't ask for a trade now, could anyone really blame him if he does? The guy is great, and wants to win a SB. Sadly, I don't believe that will be here.

MulletMullitia
03-11-2013, 05:47 PM
Not Cruz or bust, but I smell what you are stepping in. One would have to think now that Greg Jennings can see what is happening here, and the fact that AD is not happy with the Harvin deal, that he will not sign here now. If that is the case, they have to trade for a WR that has no say so if they come to this team. Right now, this team is a PR nightmare with not having any kind of passing game, and they play in a passing league.

I totally support Jennings too! But he wants a QB. I don't see him going from Rodgers to Ponder.

NodakPaul
03-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Looks like we kinda know what some of Harvin's issues were with the Vikings. Can't say that I blame him in that aspect, but the guy could have went about it in a different way. We don't hear AD saying anything about Ponder, even though we would have to assume that he feels the same way. Hell, even we fans feel the same way.

Wonder if maybe AD is starting to feel like Barry Sanders 2.0? The Vikings better do something and quick to not waste this guys career. I feel bad for AD, all that talent and the front office still can't get it right. GB would have won a few titles by now if they had AD on their team, just saying.

Bingo. AD has to be as frustrated as anyone, but he is nothing but a class act. We have several players who I think could be much better with a better QB (hi there probowl MVP Rudolph), but you play the hand you are dealt.

What exactly did Harvin want us to do at this point? It isn't like there are a lot of QB options out there. Yeah, the FO blew it a bit last year by having pretty much NOBODY else ready for the position. They could have and should have had a better backup in place, but that doesn't change the fact that there really wasn't anyone else in the market that the Vikings could have pursued for a starter. Just like there isn't this year. Like it or not Ponder is our QB if for no other reason than there simply aren't any other options.

Part of me is hoping that Smith slides in the first to a spot that we can jump up and grab him... but I know that is mostly wishful thinking (mostly). So I have to hope that we see more of the Ponder that we saw against GB in week 17, and less of the Ponder that we saw against GB in week 13...

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Adrian Peterson is not happy about the Percy Harvin trade
By Kevin Kaduk |

Minnesota Vikings fans aren't alone in their disappointment over Percy Harvin being traded to the Seattle Seahawks. Also feeling a bit bitter? Why, none other than Adrian Peterson. The star running back and reigning NFL MVP had this to tweet about on Monday after the trade.

"Wow, the best all around player that I have ever seen, or that you will ever see is heading to Seattle. I feel like I have just been kicked in the gut, many time over."

Given the often-awkward situation that existed between Harvin and the Vikings, Monday's trade could not have come as a complete surprise to Peterson. The writing was pretty much on the wall with Harvin asking for a big contract and the Vikings unwilling to pay the price for a player who has struggled with injuries during his career.
But while the crop of draft picks the Vikings received can help Minnesota build a winner, you can still understand Peterson's frustration. Minnesota's not any closer to building on 2012's playoff appearance and how much longer can A.D. really wait for a chance at that ring?

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2013, 05:51 PM
I totally support Jennings too! But he wants a QB. I don't see him going from Rodgers to Ponder.

Money will talk, but I have to agree with you on this one.

NodakPaul
03-11-2013, 05:53 PM
I hear ya man. I am the last one to support Ponder, I still think he is the biggest pussy of a pro sports player to not play in that playoff game. Several QB's have played with worse injuries, and he bowed out. I just hope that AD doesn't ask for a trade now, could anyone really blame him if he does? The guy is great, and wants to win a SB. Sadly, I don't believe that will be here.

Um, not a Ponder fan here either... but he physically couldn't move his right arm above his shoulder. Name one QB who has played without his throwing arm. It wasn't a pain things. I am pretty sure this was covered ad nauseum after the playoff game.

ANYWAY, you are going off the deep end here with AD asking for a trade. LMAO. Step off the ledge brother. AD was just voicing his support for Percy. He, and everyone else, knew that this trade was coming. And in the end it is the best thing for both Percy and the Vikings.

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Um, not a Ponder fan here either... but he physically couldn't move his right arm above his shoulder. Name one QB who has played without his throwing arm. It wasn't a pain things. I am pretty sure this was covered ad nauseum after the playoff game.

ANYWAY, you are going off the deep end here with AD asking for a trade. LMAO. Step off the ledge brother. AD was just voicing his support for Percy. He, and everyone else, knew that this trade was coming. And in the end it is the best thing for both Percy and the Vikings.

Brady played with a grade 3 sprain of his throwing arm a few years ago, and Favre played with broken fingers on his throwing hand. Look them both up. To me, Ponder is a puss.

NodakPaul
03-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Adrian Peterson is not happy about the Percy Harvin trade
By Kevin Kaduk |

<snip>

FYI, don't copy and paste entire articles. PP.O can get into copyright trouble that way. just post the link.

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2013, 05:56 PM
FYI, don't copy and paste entire articles. PP.O can get into copyright trouble that way. just post the link.

Oops, sorry, I haven't been around here in a long time. How do I do that?

NodakPaul
03-11-2013, 05:56 PM
Brady played with a grade 3 sprain of his throwing arm a few years ago, and Favre played with broken fingers on his throwing hand. Look them both up. To me, Ponder is a puss.

Neither of those are close. Say that Ponder is an average QB at best and you won't hear any disagreement from me. Calling him a pussy because he didn't play in the playoff game is, well, just wrong. It isn't even a subjective call - it is a fact that he could NOT play.

Then again, as it turns out, neither could Webb... ;)

NodakPaul
03-11-2013, 05:57 PM
Oops, sorry, I haven't been around here in a long time. How do I do that?

No problem, just copy the url into the body. The system will turn it into a link with title and author automatically.

MulletMullitia
03-11-2013, 06:03 PM
We might overpay for Mike Wallace. Which would be bittersweet. We would finally see what Ponder can do. If he can't throw the deep ball, bring in a Big Ben / Flacco type. Not as ideal as Cruz, but I still love the move. Most likely we do some sneaky trading in the draft. End up with Hopkins or Keenan Allen. Then sign one of either Danny Amendola or Brandon Gibson.

Caine
03-11-2013, 06:19 PM
I think we were forced to trade Harvin - and Seattle will not get the value from him they think they will....like Rice.

I think that we will have a hard time replacing Harvin on the talent side of things, and I don't really think our Coaching Staff is up to the task of developing a top tier receiver.

And I also believe that our 1st Round QB has played woefully short of where he should be. Until he steps up, it doesn't matter who the receivers are.

Caine

jmcdon00
03-11-2013, 06:27 PM
We might overpay for Mike Wallace. Which would be bittersweet. We would finally see what Ponder can do. If he can't throw the deep ball, bring in a Big Ben / Flacco type. Not as ideal as Cruz, but I still love the move. Most likely we do some sneaky trading in the draft. End up with Hopkins or Keenan Allen. Then sign one of either Danny Amendola or Brandon Gibson.
Big Ben/Flacco types don't just grow on trees.

jmcdon00
03-11-2013, 06:29 PM
The best all around player I ever seen or you'll ever see! Goes to Seattle! I feel like I just got kicked in the stomach. Several times!!
'Adrian Peterson

Our best player feels like the organization just kicked him in the gut several times, and our 2nd best player just got traded. It's hard for me to a put a positive spin on this.

MulletMullitia
03-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Big Ben/Flacco types don't just grow on trees.

No they don't. But I imagine that we would probably try to acquire a big arm if Ponder couldn't get the ball to Wallace. Especially if we overpaid him. Knowing the Vikings though.... that big arm could be a 50 year old Jeff George.

Tad7
03-11-2013, 06:49 PM
I think we were forced to trade Harvin - and Seattle will not get the value from him they think they will....like Rice.

I think that we will have a hard time replacing Harvin on the talent side of things, and I don't really think our Coaching Staff is up to the task of developing a top tier receiver.

And I also believe that our 1st Round QB has played woefully short of where he should be. Until he steps up, it doesn't matter who the receivers are.

Caine
Agreed with pretty much all of that. Only thing I'm not confident in there is Seattle not getting their value out of Harvin, I hope you're right on that one.

PackSux!
03-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Now that Harvin is back with Bevell you can bet the migraines start back up.

I wanted him to stay a Viking but I knew we would get good value for him. I wish we would of traded him to the AFC

MulletMullitia
03-11-2013, 06:55 PM
Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero

Per @dannyoneil, whom I just inadvertently gave a wildly wrong weight for Percy Harvin (190, not 220), the 2014 pick is a 3rd-rounder. Wow.

Ben Goessling ‏@BenGoesslingPP

#Vikings will get a third-round pick for Percy Harvin in 2014, in addition to a first- and seventh-rounder this year, I'm told.
------------------------------------------------------------------
1st and a 7th this year and a 3rd rounder next year looks like the offical haul.

vikinggreg
03-11-2013, 06:58 PM
The best all around player I ever seen or you'll ever see! Goes to Seattle! I feel like I just got kicked in the stomach. Several times!!
'Adrian Peterson

Our best player feels like the organization just kicked him in the gut several times, and our 2nd best player just got traded. It's hard for me to a put a positive spin on this.

He did have hernia surgery.....it could just be some complications 8-o

jmcdon00
03-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Third rounder next year is pretty huge. I think we got a better deal for Harvin than the Dolphins got for Marshall last year(2 third round picks).
I don't like trading our best players, but I like getting maximum value in return.

Lippythelion69
03-11-2013, 07:06 PM
We need picks not happy to see him go
But I want players that bleed purple

Ravens proved with talent around a shit QB
You can win

thorshammer
03-11-2013, 07:07 PM
Hate to see him go ... but he was a pain in the ass. Hope this doesn't have a negative effect with AD. As long as we don't waste the pics AD should be fine. We move on.

MulletMullitia
03-11-2013, 07:23 PM
People in the Dolphins organization think that it's going to come down to a bidding war with the Vikings for Mike Wallace. In the range of 12-13 million. I thought this might happen. Gotta overpay to keep the fans and veterans from a mutiny, and you still get to keep both your 1st round picks.

Minniman
03-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Trading Harvin shows that the Vikings are not a team with the goods. Harvin wanted to be paid for his production, and he wanted a quarterback who could throw the ball more than five yards downfield to moving receivers; was that too much to ask for?

Harvin had physical injuries in his career that cost him games; players have them. As far as his headaches go, I don't think many of you have a clue how bad cluster migraines are. Imagine the worst headache you have ever had (if you did not vomit or cry, it is not near bad enough), and imagine that headache for days or weeks at a time. Add that to the inability to focus one's eyes and a nauseated feeling when moving. They are called suicide headaches because many people cannot take them year after year. I am have them; I know what they can do, and Harvin is no wimp for not practicing with them full blown. The Vikings obviously did not understand the migraines, as they tried to cure Harvin of them. There is no cure that won't kill you in another way down the line.

This was not a better deal than the Vikings received for Randy Moss. The Vikings received the 7th overall pick for Moss; this pick is not even close to the same value. Considering a healthy Moss and a healthy Harvin are both game breakers, this may end up in a similar way to the Moss debacle years ago.

The Vikings cannot pigeonhole a first round pick for a WR. They have to go best player available and fill needs via free agency. Not to do so has the potential for long term failure for wasting value in the draft.

Two of the best teams in the NFC, with better young QB's than the Vikings drafted, just got better. The Vikings just got worse. The pick may end up great or may bust. The Vikings may use the Harvin money for a good receiver, but how good? So far, the Vikings have a bird in the bush and nothing more.

Jereamiah
03-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Easy there guy. I was suggesting that Amendola, while somewhat injury-prone, is a "Solid" reciever. WhenTF did Spielman enter into my question. He is a dependable guy that could help out Ponder. By all means, I hope the team pursues top tier guys, but I wouldn't mind seeing Amendola in purple at all.

MulletMullitia
03-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Easy there guy. I was suggesting that Amendola, while somewhat injury-prone, is a "Solid" reciever. WhenTF did Spielman enter into my question. He is a dependable guy that could help out Ponder. By all means, I hope the team pursues top tier guys, but I wouldn't mind seeing Amendola in purple at all.

I wouldn't mind it either. He's a good receiver. Not great. Which is Spielman's MO. He will cheap out and get the cheapest dependable option he can find. Enter, Danny Amendola. Jennings back to GB or a team with a good QB, Wallace to Miami for a dumb contract (12+ mil / year), Cruz back to NYC because he signed with Condon, and Welker back to NE because Brady restructured. What am I missing here? I think that about covers it. Amendola + a flyer in the draft sounds about right. And a DT in the first round that we don't need.

rednorsk
03-11-2013, 07:51 PM
I've always thought Spielman was an idiot, but now I know it for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry:

MulletMullitia
03-11-2013, 07:52 PM
We'll know by tomorrow night! Cruz/Jennings/Wallace/Welker or a BIG FAT FAILURE for the Vikings front office. You don't make steps forward by making steps back. Make a move, Rick!

Jereamiah
03-11-2013, 07:54 PM
We need picks not happy to see him go
But I want players that bleed purple

Ravens proved with talent around a shit QB
You can win Dude...lets see: Flacco ties Montana and Warner for the most td's in a single post season while additionally tying Montana for the most touchdowns without an interception in a single postseason. The guy deserves the money, and he's faaaar from "Shit." Wish the 'Vikes had him. Now, if you want to talk about a "SHIT" Qb winning a SB? TRENT DILFER. Nuff said

Flair Hay
03-11-2013, 07:56 PM
I wouldn't mind it either. He's a good receiver. Not great. Which is Spielman's MO. He will cheap out and get the cheapest dependable option he can find. Enter, Danny Amendola. Jennings back to GB or a team with a good QB, Wallace to Miami for a dumb contract (12+ mil / year), Cruz back to NYC because he signed with Condon, and Welker back to NE because Brady restructured. What am I missing here? I think that about covers it. Amendola + a flyer in the draft sounds about right. And a DT in the first round that we don't need.

I wouldn't say we don't need a DT...We got by okay with Guion/Evans but neither were very imactful. And KWill won't be around much longer, and who knows how long he has left as an impact player. I'd say we need two, not zero...

ConnecticutViking
03-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Two things to remember about Harvin:

1. When he's not playing, he is a drama queen.
2. He doesn't play that much, which means he bitches a lot!

2009: 15GP 60Rec. 790yds.
2010: 14GP 71Rec. 868yds.
2011: 16GP 87Rec. 967yds.
2012: 9GP 62Rec. 677yds.

I know he rushes for yds. and also returns...But NO 1000yds. receiving. 11 games missed in 4 years. Most importantly the Vikes go 5-2 down the stretch without him! Compared to the top receivers in the league:

20 Receivers caught for over 1000yds. last year, 19 in 2011, 17 in 2010, and 23 in 2009. If you want elite money, you need to show elite numbers and we all know how athletic Percy is and no one is denying that he is a talented player, but if you want the big bucks, you need to produce and in order to produce, you need to be on the field. STFU and play the game. Percy is much better at running his mouth that running a play. He is made of glass! Percy and Richard Sherman will make a great team...a lot of talk!

Jereamiah
03-11-2013, 08:06 PM
[QUOTE=MulletMullitia;1136990]We'll know by tomorrow night! Cruz/Jennings/Wallace/Welker or a BIG FAT FAILURE for the Vikings front office. You don't make steps forward by making steps back. Make a move, Rick![/QUOT
How is another first round pick and dealing away a distraction a "failure?" With AD doing his thing and solid play from Rudolf and a guy like Amendola, I feel the team can compete. I'd be happy as hell with Welker and Amendola. And I belief they would help out Ponder in a big way. honestly, I really don't see any of those guys except for Amendola, comin this way. I don't. What is the team lookin to do? Help Ponder. Solid, journeyman guys will do the trick. Just my opinion.

ConnecticutViking
As far as his headaches go, I don't think many of you have a clue how bad cluster migraines are. Imagine the worst headache you have ever had (if you did not vomit or cry, it is not near bad enough), and imagine that headache for days or weeks at a time. Add that to the inability to focus one's eyes and a nauseated feeling when moving. They are called suicide headaches because many people cannot take them year after year. I am aflicted them; I know what they can do, and Harvin is no wimp for not practicing with them full blown. The Vikings obviously did not understand the migraines, as they tried to cure Harvin of them. There is no cure that won't kill you in another way down the line.

Sorry you have to deal with this, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. As far as Harvin goes, I really don't care if he has them or not. I am a fan, short for fanatic. He gets paid to PLAY, not sit out. He's not a wimp, but he's not reliable. In order to be elite, you need to be on the field and in short, Harvin wanted elite money for his efforts, which in my estimation was less than elite. Yes, he is talented, but he is an cancer in the locker room, combined with ALL of is health issues makes him expendable.

Flair Hay
As for the trade, I guess we made the best of a bad situation. All of us wanted a happy, healthy, reasonably paid Harvin on the team going forward but it didn't work out that way.

The good news is we can use a first rounder alone to replace 75% of Harvin's WR production. KR is another story, we no longer have the most dangerous special teams in the NFL. We didn't gain much cap room for this year, but we can certainly justify paying one reciever a hefty sum now when we couldn't have before if we were to extend Harvin.

It's not ideal because we'll be worse for it this year, but over the next 2-3 years we may even come out ahead if Millitia's buddy Rick has another good draft haha

MulletMullitia
03-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Ian Rapoport mentioned Greg Jennings TWICE to the Vikings in his last live segment on NFL live.

Flair Hay
03-11-2013, 08:24 PM
At the very least he'd bring a lot of experience to a WR corps(e) that had Jenkins in that role. Anything over $10M tho f-that and look to pick up another player for the defense in FA.

singersp
03-11-2013, 08:25 PM
I hate to see him go. I'm not going to pretend I'm happy about it or be like others and start to dissing him, bash him or call him names.

The guy brought his game to the field and gave 100% every week. Fans are going to find out just how valuable he was next season. I find myself more in the AD camp.

The star running back and reigning NFL MVP had this to tweet about on Monday after the trade.

"Wow, the best all around player that I have ever seen, or that you will ever see is heading to Seattle. I feel like I have just been kicked in the gut, many time over."

That certainly doesn't sound like he's happy he's gone or mention anything about him being a cancer in the locker room. In fact no one from the Vikings staff or players have said so. That was all media & fan driven. Probably blown way out of proportion.

Yup he had issues with Ponder's abilities, but I think he's spot on & Ponder will prove him even more right next year. Just watching the way Rudolph was used in the Pro Bowl showed me just how much we were wasting his & Harvin's talent.

I'm glad we did get a 1st, 7th & 2014 3rd rounder out of the deal. He was as good as gone anyway & I thought we might get a few picks for him, but nothing higher than a 2nd.

The proof will be in the pudding though & unless we can replace Harvin via FA or the draft, the picks aren't that meaningful.

Keep in mind we traded a WR away once before and had the 7th overall pick of the draft, not the 23rd or 27th, but the 7th. We ended up getting Troy Williamson in return.

Even if we get a good one, he'll probably go to waste as we find out even more just how right Harvin was about Ponder.

MulletMullitia
03-11-2013, 08:32 PM
I hate to see him go. I'm not going to pretend I'm happy about it or be like others and start to dissing him, bash him or call him names.

The guy brought his game to the field and gave 100% every week. Fans are going to find out just how valuable he was next season. I find myself more in the AD camp.

That certainly doesn't sound like he's happy he's gone or mention anything about him being a cancer in the locker room. In fact no one from the Vikings staff or players have said so. That was all media & fan driven. Probably blown way out of proportion.

Yup he had issues with Ponder's abilities, but I think he's spot on & Ponder will prove him even more right next year. Just watching the way Rudolph was used in the Pro Bowl showed me just how much we were wasting his & Harvin's talent.

I'm glad we did get a 1st, 7th & 2014 3rd rounder out of the deal. He was as good as gone anyway & I thought we might get a few picks for him, but nothing higher than a 2nd.

The proof will be in the pudding though & unless we can replace Harvin via FA or the draft, the picks aren't that meaningful.

Keep in mind we traded a WR away once before and had the 7th overall pick of the draft, not the 23rd or 27th, but the 7th. We ended up getting Troy Williamson in return.

Even if we get a good one, he'll probably go to waste as we find out even more just how right Harvin was about Ponder.

+ a million!

Perfectly said Singer. My thoughts exactly! Could you blame Sidney for wanting 10 million more dollars? Can you blame Percy for not wanting to play with a better QB? No again. And you can't say Spielman didn't get market value. Hell, a first and a 3rd?! That's way better than I thought we would get for him. But low balling Boldin? And potentially striking out on Wallace too? This worries me. Spielman has been getting a lot more approval from me lately. But he has to prove to me that he can do more than just draft. He has to be effective in FA too. So re-sign Felton FIRST (THIS IS THE #1 PRIORITY), then sign Greg Jennings! Yes you overpay. But he spent his whole life in the NFC north. A true professional. Or you give up a 1st and get Victor Cruz. The real blockbuster move that this team needs! I'm sorry that I don't share the same optimism as I see Rick Spielman trending towards the same boring draft heavy offseason that we've all come to loathe. Let's not forget that one of his best draft picks was Percy Harvin. That's a scratch now. So he has Adrian Peterson and that's about it. Make some moves Rick. We are getting impatient.

singersp
03-11-2013, 08:35 PM
he is an cancer in the locker room, combined with ALL of is health issues makes him expendable.

Do you have quotes from any players or staff saying so? The headaches are a non-issue and were resolved a few years ago,

Before injuring his ankle, Harvin missed 3 games in 4 years. Childs missed 16 games in 1 year & he's still on the roster. He's not as elite as some people would like him to be but a huge part of that is due to the QB limiting that potential.

Jereamiah
03-11-2013, 08:36 PM
This speculation stuff is classic...I dig it. So Cruz comes with 1st round pick attatched to any deal, and the Vikes just so happened to get the 'Hawks 1st pick in trade for Percival. Giving them...Two. MY PREDICTIONS ARE: Cruz or Amandola, or both. No Wallace or Jennings or Welker. Am I wrong? My only hope is that the team doesn't get stupid and overpay for Jennings. I don't see it though. Cruz and Amendola. that's my story and Im stickin too it.

SharperImage
03-11-2013, 08:44 PM
Jason La Canfora said that Harvin deal is gonna be more than Calvin Johnson's 8 years 120m for Percy Harvin that's ridiculous lmao

Flair Hay
03-11-2013, 08:47 PM
:bow:

marshallvike
03-11-2013, 08:48 PM

Still clinging to that huh singer? Frazier essentially kicked him off the team last year. One of his most talented players. Must have been because Percy was too nice. Spin it however you want, he is trouble, plain and simple. He was trouble in college,( there was talk of him choking a coach, besides other incidences). He was fine here for awhile, then his true character came out. Percy is about Percy. I give you he is a tremendous talent, but so was TO and he sure knew how to blow up a team. That seems to be where Percy was headed.

MulletMullitia
03-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Loved the idea of Cruz! BUT...he signed with a new agent today. That agent is Tom Condon. AKA: Eli Manning's agent. I just really don't see him splitting them up. Especially after he's had successful negotiations with the Giants in the past.

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2013, 08:54 PM
No problem, just copy the url into the body. The system will turn it into a link with title and author automatically.

Cool, thanks for the heads up.

marshallvike
03-11-2013, 08:54 PM
As for the trade, I guess we made the best of a bad situation. All of us wanted a happy, healthy, reasonably paid Harvin on the team going forward but it didn't work out that way.

The good news is we can use a first rounder alone to replace 75% of Harvin's WR production. KR is another story, we no longer have the most dangerous special teams in the NFL. We didn't gain much cap room for this year, but we can certainly justify paying one reciever a hefty sum now when we couldn't have before if we were to extend Harvin.

It's not ideal because we'll be worse for it this year, but over the next 2-3 years we may even come out ahead if Millitia's buddy Rick has another good draft haha

well said flair

NodakPaul
03-11-2013, 08:55 PM

I don't disagree with much if anything here. But I will clarify a couple of things.

Harvin's antics HAVE been fairly well documented. He grabbed a coach by the throat and had to be pulled off from him in college. He refused to do conditioning drills in college, preferring to play pickup basket ball instead (BTW, the school changed their policy to placate him). He got into two different altercations with Childress that were witnessed and reported on. He got into two different verbal altercations with Frazier that were witnessed and reported on. And these are just the ones we know about. How many more were there? SOMETHING prompted the early dismissal to IR...

You are right, some of the reaction and Percy hate is a bit overstated, and from all accounts his teammates liked him. But he was not a positive influence in the locker room, if for nothing else, than for his attitude toward coaches.

Either way, you were dead on with this statement:

I am very happy getting a 1st, 7th and next years 4th for a player who didn't want to be here in the first place.

Jereamiah
03-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Still clinging to that huh singer? Frazier essentially kicked him off the team last year. One of his most talented players. Must have been because Percy was too nice. Spin it however you want, he is trouble, plain and simple. He was trouble in college,( there was talk of him choking a coach, besides other incidences). He was fine here for awhile, then his true character came out. Percy is about Percy. I give you he is a tremendous talent, but so was TO and he sure knew how to blow up a team. That seems to be where Percy was headed.
Dumb and Dumber - i like it a lot [HD] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28GLa9T2CtI&feature=player_detailpage) Spot on. Percy was all about himself

NodakPaul
03-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Jason La Canfora said that Harvin deal is gonna be more than Calvin Johnson's 8 years 120m for Percy Harvin that's ridiculous lmao

No f-ing way.

No team is THAT stupid.

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2013, 09:01 PM
We'll know by tomorrow night! Cruz/Jennings/Wallace/Welker or a BIG FAT FAILURE for the Vikings front office. You don't make steps forward by making steps back. Make a move, Rick!

Agreed. The Vikings absolutely need to bring in a high profile WR to offset the loss of Harvin and not have the team and the fans scratching their heads saying what the f@ck.

If Spielman thinks he can match the wins from a year ago by refurbishing the passing game through the draft alone, he is in for a rude awakening. The Vikings were extremely lucky to get 10 wins last season, they will not do it by ignoring the WR group with a average/below average QB.

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Singers,

Everyone has their own opinion on this trade, and Harvin. Nobody has called you out for anything, so let others voice their opinions as well. Like someone else said, it has been well documented that Harvin is not a team player. He choked one of his college coaches, he got into verbal confrontations with Childress and threw a weight. He has had a couple of heated exchanges with Frazier who is probably the most mild mannered coach in the NFL, and perhaps the history of the NFL if not for Dungy.

Harvin is a diva in every sense of the word. Yes he is one hell of a talent, but when he got a hair across his ass, he stopped being a team player. Yes, I would be pissed off to if I had to waste my talents with a mediocre at best QB. Think maybe AD is feeling the same way? Except AD can honestly say that when its all said and done for him, he could very well be the best ever to play his position, Harvin will never be able to say that. Yet, we never hear a peep out of AD despite him being a superstar and wanting to win the SB. He could have easily of requested to be traded, instead he signed a long term deal to stay a Viking. That is the true definition of a team player, the exact opposite of Percy Harvin. Remember, it has been said several times that Harvin requested to be traded, I am sure if he just voiced his displeasure about his contract, the Vikings would have tried to keep him happy here in Minnesota. He forced hos way out, and for that, I could care less about the guy.

Jereamiah
03-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Agreed. The Vikings absolutely need to bring in a high profile WR to offset the loss of Harvin and not have the team and the fans scratching their heads saying what the f@ck.

If Spielman thinks he can match the wins from a year ago by refurbishing the passing game through the draft alone, he is in for a rude awakening. The Vikings were extremely lucky to get 10 wins last season, they will not do it by ignoring the WR group with a average/below average QB.
My feeling is that some folks think Wallace or Jennigs will make this a Super-bowl caliber team. They wont. I don't believe that. I'd like to see solid, dependable vets. Guys that will help out Ponder. I know I keep sayin it, but i think Amendola would be a wonderful pick up. I do. Welker? he would change that offense and Ponders confidence more then Wallace. I truly believe that. Tell me why I may be wrong.

singersp
03-11-2013, 09:20 PM
I don't disagree with much if anything here. But I will clarify a couple of things.

Harvin's antics HAVE been fairly well documented. He grabbed a coach by the throat and had to be pulled off from him in college. He refused to do conditioning drills in college, preferring to play pickup basket ball instead (BTW, the school changed their policy to placate him). He got into two different altercations with Childress that were witnessed and reported on. He got into two different verbal altercations with Frazier that were witnessed and reported on. And these are just the ones we know about. How many more were there? SOMETHING prompted the early dismissal to IR...

You are right, some of the reaction and Percy hate is a bit overstated, and from all accounts his teammates liked him. But he was not a positive influence in the locker room, if for nothing else, than for his attitude toward coaches.

Either way, you were dead on with this statement:

I am very happy getting a 1st, 7th and next years 4th for a player who didn't want to be here in the first place.

I'm not to worried about what a kid did in college. If people are going to use that as justification to get rid of him then we should get rid of JA, never have drafted Moss, never have given Carter a chance, etc.

I don't recall him getting into altercations with Childress, let alone two, but how is that any different than Favre getting into it with Childress? Pretty sure Favre was getting pats on the back for it by fans.

Yep, the two beefs with Frazier were well documented. It was also documented that the first sideline beef was out of frustration that our QB was not looking at or throwing the ball to open receivers.

The second one was indeed documented as well but as to exactly what went on or how heated it got isn't. A lot of speculation by media & fans.

It's also well documented that Frazier wanted Harvin back, so it must not have been as bad as people are making it.

Notebook: Leslie Frazier 'made it clear' he wants Percy Harvin back - Minnesota Vikings news | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Vikings (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Leslie_Frazier_to_Percy_Harvin_I_made_it_clear_that_I_want_him_here022313)

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2013, 09:25 PM
My feeling is that some folks think Wallace or Jennigs will make this a Super-bowl caliber team. They wont. I don't believe that. I'd like to see solid, dependable vets. Guys that will help out Ponder. I know I keep sayin it, but i think Amendola would be a wonderful pick up. I do. Welker? he would change that offense and Ponders confidence more then Wallace. I truly believe that. Tell me why I may be wrong.

For me, I like the quickness and the ability to separate from defenders that Wallace brings, and with Jennings I like his hands, his ability to run his routes, and his good character.

I would be very happy if the Vikings landed Welker, but they need more then just him. Amendola intrigues me as well, but he has a history of getting beat up and missing games. If the Vikings go the Welker or Amendola route, then they need to get at least 2 WR's. If they go the route of Jennings or Wallace, they will still need to get more help, but it will be a great start. If it weren't for Welker's injury history and age, and Amendola's injury history, I would be all for getting them both.

MulletMullitia
03-11-2013, 09:25 PM
I think Greg Jennings could come in and play a Reggie Wayne role for us. Professional. Good hands. Leadership and experience in the NFC north. He's not a world beater, but he will run perfect routes and provide a security blanket for Ponder. Plug him in at the #1 while we develop some projects like Wright and hopefully a great 1st rounder. Yeah we will have to pay him 10 million a year. While the Dolphins and Seahawks pay Mike Wallace 12-13 million year / each.

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2013, 09:30 PM
What is Frazier supposed to say, "I hate Percy Harvin and I hope he gets traded"? Just like Spielman said that he had no intent on trading Harvin, and that he wouldn't even answer a call about a trade for Harvin. Was he also going to say, " I can't wait to get rid of the diva"?

Truth is, it could have been very bad between the Vikings and Harvin, but they all have to say the right things to build value in any deal they are going to make. From everything that went down since Harvin got injured, everyone knew it was a matter of time before he was sent packing.

singersp
03-11-2013, 09:31 PM
AD can honestly say that when its all said and done for him, he could very well be the best ever to play his position, Harvin will never be able to say that. Yet, we never hear a peep out of AD despite him being a superstar and wanting to win the SB.

I hope you realize that the reason AD can say that is because all he has to rely on is the QB handing him the ball. Harvin & our other receivers have to rely on the QB throwing them the ball. They can't succeeds unless the QB succeeds.

And AD did have something to say about this cancer in the locker room as fans call him.

The star running back and reigning NFL MVP had this to tweet about on Monday after the trade.

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2013, 09:32 PM
I think Greg Jennings could come in and play a Reggie Wayne role for us. Professional. Good hands. Leadership and experience in the NFC north. He's not a world beater, but he will run perfect routes and provide a security blanket for Ponder. Plug him in at the #1 while we develop some projects like Wright and hopefully a great 1st rounder. Yeah we will have to pay him 10 million a year. While the Dolphins and Seahawks pay Mike Wallace 12-13 million year / each.

I could see that happening. Jennings is not as flashy as Harvin, but he would definitely be the #1 WR on this team if he is signed. Then they need to continue to bring Wright along, then hopefully they still land a top tier WR in the draft. Many things can happen I guess, they just better do something.

Flair Hay
03-11-2013, 09:36 PM

Agreed. He'd be the best fit now that Percy is gone.

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2013, 09:37 PM
I hope you realize that the reason AD can say that is because all he has to rely on is the QB handing him the ball. Harvin & our other receivers have to rely on the QB throwing them the ball. They can't succeeds unless the QB succeeds.

And AD did have something to say about this cancer in the locker room as fans call him.

Yeah, I get that, does that mean Harvin has to stir shit up? So when AD has a bad game because he is looking at 9 man fronts all the time because Ponder can't play for shit, that doesn't put him in the same category as the WR's?

Again, they were boys in the locker room and in real life, what is he supposed to say? Just because Harvin and AD were tight doesn't mean that others didn't consider him a cancer to the team. Maybe if Harvin would have learned from AD how to keep his mouth shut and be a team player, all of this wouldn't have happened.

PackSux!
03-11-2013, 09:42 PM
Tomorrow this is going to sting a bit worse than it does today.

Was the Harvin trade reported before the Boldin trade?

I wonder if the thought of getting Boldin for a 7th helped influence Rick to make the deal with Harvin?

clark_griswold
03-11-2013, 09:44 PM
Anybody else open to the idea of signing Victor Cruz to a long term deal and giving up the extra 1st to the Giants? Just wondering what you guys think, it seems like the Vikes and Rams are the 2 most likely suitors at this point.

MulletMullitia
03-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Actually the 49ers were the #2 team in the mix, according to multiple sources. Since they lost our to their rival, they immediately went for Boldin. Vikings heard about it and tried to make a push as well. But we lowballed them. All it would have taken was a 5th round pick. On a day where we just acquired an EXTRA first and third. Looking back.... give up a 5th and then use both 1sts on BPA. Then the fans are happy and Spielman is happy.

MulletMullitia
03-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Anybody else open to the idea of signing Victor Cruz to a long term deal and giving up the extra 1st to the Giants? Just wondering what you guys think, it seems like the Vikes and Rams are the 2 most likely suitors at this point.

Best case scenario! But I don't think that Condon will break up his two star clients.

Minniman
03-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Sorry you have to deal with this, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. As far as Harvin goes, I really don't care if he has them or not. I am a fan, short for fanatic. He gets paid to PLAY, not sit out. He's not a wimp, but he's not reliable. In order to be elite, you need to be on the field and in short, Harvin wanted elite money for his efforts, which in my estimation was less than elite. Yes, he is talented, but he is an cancer in the locker room, combined with ALL of is health issues makes him expendable.
I hear you.

Now that Harvin is gone, I do not wish him well on the field. I hope he chokes out. I never wish ex-Vikings well with other teams. I do not want any other team to get any edge.

VKG4LFE
03-11-2013, 10:07 PM
I am very bummed that Percy is gone, but with that being said, great trade. Great job getting a FIRST ROUNDER! and a 7th on top of that, and a mid-rounder next year! Wow, never thought we would get anywhere near that for Percy. It sucks he's gone, but I think the compensation is really good. Now we just need to draft right!

NodakPaul
03-11-2013, 10:17 PM
I hope you realize that the reason AD can say that is because all he has to rely on is the QB handing him the ball. Harvin & our other receivers have to rely on the QB throwing them the ball.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

It's funny cuz it's true... :)

Although a WR who could go up and get the ball in traffic would help Ponder a LOT. Right now we can't throw deep over the middle because by the time the ball gets down there a safety, cornerback, two linebackers, and a defensive tackle have all had the time to get in the area. ;) We need someone who can catch the ball despite traffic, and suddenly we will have a pretty damn good offense. Ponder, for all of his short comings, is still rather accurate.

NodakPaul
03-11-2013, 10:22 PM

I would absolutely be open to that, but I don't see it happening. I think the powers that be would rather get Wallace or Jennings. They would have to pay the same amount and get to keep the 1st rounder.

So when FA starts in just under 2 hours, I would expect to see us making a big push, and if we can't get either of our targets maybe, just maybe, we look in Cruz's direction.

The best thing that can happen IMHO is to see Amendola get signed to a team quickly. Otherwise I could see us going after him once we are out of the running for Jennings and Wallace. not that I don't like Amendola (I actually think he could be a decent pick up), but I would rather have Cruz.

So if I was the GM I would go for 1) Wallace 2) Jennings 3) Cruz and 4) Amendola. In that order.

NodakPaul
03-11-2013, 10:24 PM
Despite a report that Harvin wants to be paid in the range of Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald and Lions receiver Calvin Johnson, both of those players are in the range of $16 million. Per the source, Harvin’s deal won’t be close.

In reality, Harvin’s deal will be more in line with the current one-up high-jump that began last year with Bucs receiver Vincent Jackson with five years, $55.5 million, and which was extended by Chiefs wideout Dwayne Bowe and his five-year, $56 million deal.

Harvin contract in place, trade hinges on physical | ProFootballTalk (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/11/harvin-contract-in-place-deal-hinges-on-physical/)

Caine
03-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Trading Harvin shows that the Vikings are not a team with the goods. Harvin wanted to be paid for his production, and he wanted a quarterback who could throw the ball more than five yards downfield to moving receivers; was that too much to ask for?

Harvin had physical injuries in his career that cost him games; players have them. As far as his headaches go, I don't think many of you have a clue how bad cluster migraines are. Imagine the worst headache you have ever had (if you did not vomit or cry, it is not near bad enough), and imagine that headache for days or weeks at a time. Add that to the inability to focus one's eyes and a nauseated feeling when moving. They are called suicide headaches because many people cannot take them year after year. I am have them; I know what they can do, and Harvin is no wimp for not practicing with them full blown. The Vikings obviously did not understand the migraines, as they tried to cure Harvin of them. There is no cure that won't kill you in another way down the line.

This was not a better deal than the Vikings received for Randy Moss. The Vikings received the 7th overall pick for Moss; this pick is not even close to the same value. Considering a healthy Moss and a healthy Harvin are both game breakers, this may end up in a similar way to the Moss debacle years ago.

The Vikings cannot pigeonhole a first round pick for a WR. They have to go best player available and fill needs via free agency. Not to do so has the potential for long term failure for wasting value in the draft.

Two of the best teams in the NFC, with better young QB's than the Vikings drafted, just got better. The Vikings just got worse. The pick may end up great or may bust. The Vikings may use the Harvin money for a good receiver, but how good? So far, the Vikings have a bird in the bush and nothing more.

I disagree with comparing Moss and Harvin. Moss could break games open seemingly at will - Harvin can't.

Harvin as a talented and special player - primarily due to his versatility - but he's not a force of nature like Randy was, like Adrian is, or like Megatron is.

Harvin is a guy who can beat you up if you disregard him. Moss was a guy who beat you up even when you tripled him. Like Peterson.

Harvin, like Rice, will do some nice things in Seattle. What Harvin WON'T do is carry that team. Like Moss carried us, and like Peterson carries us now. Harvin will benefit from a talented young QB, and moderately talented WR corps, and a fantastic RB....coupled with a dynamic Defense.

As for the Vikings getting worse....did we really? We weren't getting any value from Harvin on IR...yet made the play-offs despite him. He was a HUGE distraction in the media (at the very least). Despite the fact that he was RIGHT about our crappy WR corps and our below average QB, he made himself such a pain in the ass that no one will REALLY miss him....not after a short while.

Fact is, Harvin will make a good team better, but he's looking more and more like T.O. Watch and see what happens if Seattle starts struggling. How long until Percy starts throwing fits again?

Keep in mind, you're not going to hear guys bash Percy just like they didn't bash Chiller when he got cut...it's not how the NFL operates. Hell, the majority of Albert Hayensworth's teammates in Washington didn't bash him either. The silence proves nothing. The fact that they shopped him so quickly - after saying they weren't - SCREAMS everything you really need to know.

Caine

Purple Floyd
03-11-2013, 10:50 PM
No f-ing way.

No team is THAT stupid.
Remember the contract they gave to Burleson?

Chazz
03-11-2013, 10:55 PM

Cris Carter would beg to differ.

vikinggreg
03-11-2013, 11:00 PM
I don't recall him getting into altercations with Childress, let alone two, but how is that any different than Favre getting into it with Childress? Pretty sure Favre was getting pats on the back for it by fans.

Really

Four days after Moss' release, Childress threw Harvin out of practice, the two had to be separated before things turned physical and the argument carried over to the weight room, where a witness said Harvin hurled a weight at Childress but didn't hit him.

Don't recall Favre throwing weights at any coach ever

LINK (http://m.1500espn.com/pages/sportswire.php?sID=4514)

snowinapril
03-11-2013, 11:11 PM
Man that young Seattle team will be tough........ they should hopefully have a good team for years.

I am less happy than I thought I would be. Not that I thought I would be happy at all. I was trying to be indifferent about this but.......... I am upset about it. I will get over it soon.

LOL, we lost out on Boldin because we only offered a 7th round pick. Meanwhile, the NFC West is getting stronger. Who knows what we will look like next year?

NordicNed
03-11-2013, 11:42 PM
Fuck Percy and the 3 legged horse he rode in on! Oh wait, I can't tell him to Fuck Off, he has a headache..WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA he's been nothing but a crying little bitch since he's been here. Throws more tantrums than my 3 week old ( Charles Edward), now there's a strong name for ya, Percy, hu, I'll say this for him, athletic, talented as all hell football player, but that means nothing at all when you have to deal with his crying, pouting, and avg 7 games a year schedual, give or take a game. Sure AD praised his play as a player, hell, the two where friends and probably still are, not to mention they spent a hell of alot of time training and rehabing together. that was nice to read and hear about. But I didn't hear AD mention his team/player leadership and locker room presence will be missed, or his on the field or sideline leadership.
If you ask me he was a cancer, and only one thing to do with cancer, GET RID OF IT OR DIE! I wish I did have it shirt, I'de make " Flaming Jersey's Part 2"....lol

jargomcfargo
03-11-2013, 11:59 PM
Pretty simple after all the speculation. Harvin didn't want to play for the Vikings. He didn't think the Vikings were heading in the right direction and didn't think Ponder was a good enough Quarterback.
I recall Harvin favoring, his friend, Joe Webb over Ponder.
It's ironic that Harvin was having his best season ever, a potential MVP season, with Ponder as his QB, despite having played two seasons with Favre.

Percy didn't want to play for the Vikings so Spielman made the best of a bad situation and did better than many expected.

No one player can replace what Percy brought on game day, but ultimately the team may end up more balanced with a couple new wide receivers. If Ponder continues to improve the team may be better in the long run.

However, if Harvin is right about Ponder and the Vikings in general, Vikings fans are in for more enduring frustration.

Mr Anderson
03-12-2013, 12:23 AM

I am absolutely, 100% against this idea.

Don't let Cruz's stats fool you. He's not that great. Certainly not worth a first rounder and the contract someone is going to give him.

He excels against blown coverage and dreadful tackling. Seriously, pull up a Cruz highlight reel and see for yourself. He drops a ton of balls, can't beat the press, compete in a double team. If it wasn't for Eli, he'd be average.

I watch almost every Giants game, and I can say with near certainty, that if he goes to a team without an elite QB and other pass catching threats down field(which obviously includes the Vikings) he will struggle.

If we get Cruz, we will have effectively traded Harvin, a more productive player on a per-play basis, for the the right to pay Victor Cruz.

The front office really fucked up not getting Boldin today.

I want us to go for Danario Alexander. A big vertical and red zone threat who adjusts extremely well to the ball and catches it at a high point. And he won't command a huge contract. Had a serious knee problem after ACL surgery, which required more surgeries to repair. He seems to have overcome this injury and resultant surgeries. Low risk, high reward.

In addition to Alexander in Free Agency I'd give Donald Jones a shot, maybe go after Emmanuel Sanders, but that would cost us a 3rd round pick, I think.

Use our #22 pick on either Tavon Austin, DeAndre Hopkins or Keenan Allen. I like Austin because of his Harvin replacement ability. He's electric, seriously fun to watch. Then use a mid rounder on another receiver. Robert Woods' stock has dropped like a rock, so hopefully we could pick him up.

I want to see 4 or 5 new faces at WR going into camp. 2 through free agency and another 2 or 3 in the draft.

MulletMullitia
03-12-2013, 12:50 AM
Maybe we could trade up for Cordarrelle Patterson now if he slips a little bit?

marstc09
03-12-2013, 01:16 AM

Brett Favre had a broken thumb on his throwing hand. That is basically his throwing arm.

MulletMullitia
03-12-2013, 01:17 AM
Brett Favre had a broken thumb on his throwing hand. That is basically his throwing arm.

Was I the only one that wondered what a healthy Favre would have looked like with our team last season?

marstc09
03-12-2013, 01:42 AM
People wanting a Cruz deal are nuts. We can have Jennings and a 1st round WR. Jennings is a perfect fit. He runs great routes, is not afraid to go inside, amazing hands, and has great character.

snowinapril
03-12-2013, 02:05 AM
CRUZ: NFLN was reporting that the Giants were going to put a first round restricted agent tender on him, which means you essentially have to give a first round pick for him.

Wallace is free of restrictions but is reported to be looking at 12 million a year.

We are not spending that much. That would surprise the crap out of me if we spent 12 million on a WR.

Doesn't make sense to give up our pick we got for Harvin to acquire Cruz.

singersp
03-12-2013, 05:11 AM
Yeah, I get that, does that mean Harvin has to stir shit up? So when AD has a bad game because he is looking at 9 man fronts all the time because Ponder can't play for shit, that doesn't put him in the same category as the WR's?

Again, they were boys in the locker room and in real life, what is he supposed to say? Just because Harvin and AD were tight doesn't mean that others didn't consider him a cancer to the team. Maybe if Harvin would have learned from AD how to keep his mouth shut and be a team player, all of this wouldn't have happened.

Again, he had 1 incident in the locker room with Frazier. Does that automatically make him a cancer in the locker room? AD didn't have to say anything, no one asked his 2 cents worth. He volunteered his feelings and there was nothing but praise for him. As to all these other players you claim that think he's a cancer do you so much as have a tweet from any of them saying so? I didn't think so. AD said he felt like he was repeatedly kicked in the gut, nothing at all hinting that he was detrimental in the locker room.

AngloVike
03-12-2013, 05:19 AM
People wanting a Cruz deal are nuts. We can have Jennings and a 1st round WR. Jennings is a perfect fit. He runs great routes, is not afraid to go inside, amazing hands, and has great character.

and he'd be an ex-puker which fits in well with your teambuilding profile... rofl

Just kidding as you know it will be said, seriously though he would be a good pickand would bring some much needed experience to our WR corps

singersp
03-12-2013, 05:19 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

It's funny cuz it's true... :)

Although a WR who could go up and get the ball in traffic would help Ponder a LOT. Right now we can't throw deep over the middle because by the time the ball gets down there a safety, cornerback, two linebackers, and a defensive tackle have all had the time to get in the area. ;) We need someone who can catch the ball despite traffic, and suddenly we will have a pretty damn good offense. Ponder, for all of his short comings, is still rather accurate.

We needed a receiver that could do that even with Harvin. That hasn't changed in the last two years. Now we need that plus a WR that can replace Harvin. I hope like hell Wright is the later. Today & tomorrow should show us how Spielman plans to address those problems.

singersp
03-12-2013, 05:50 AM
and he'd be an ex-puker which fits in well with your teambuilding profile... rofl

Just kidding as you know it will be said, seriously though he would be a good pickand would bring some much needed experience to our WR corps

We don't need experience. Our 4 top WR's right now are Wright, Burton, Summers & Childs. The 4 of them combined have 2 starts, 23 games played in & 31 receptions of experience!

Oh wait!

Only 2 of our entire WR corp has ever played in a NFL game.

NordicNed
03-12-2013, 08:11 AM
Pretty simple after all the speculation. Harvin didn't want to play for the Vikings. He didn't think the Vikings were heading in the right direction and didn't think Ponder was a good enough Quarterback.
I recall Harvin favoring, his friend, Joe Webb over Ponder.
It's ironic that Harvin was having his best season ever, a potential MVP season, with Ponder as his QB, despite having played two seasons with Favre.

Percy didn't want to play for the Vikings so Spielman made the best of a bad situation and did better than many expected.

No one player can replace what Percy brought on game day, but ultimately the team may end up more balanced with a couple new wide receivers. If Ponder continues to improve the team may be better in the long run.

However, if Harvin is right about Ponder and the Vikings in general, Vikings fans are in for more enduring frustration.

Not to mention, we went from the cellar to the playoffs, and basicaly did that WITHOUT PERCY the TODDLER

VikesfaninWis
03-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Again, he had 1 incident in the locker room with Frazier. Does that automatically make him a cancer in the locker room? AD didn't have to say anything, no one asked his 2 cents worth. He volunteered his feelings and there was nothing but praise for him. As to all these other players you claim that think he's a cancer do you so much as have a tweet from any of them saying so? I didn't think so. AD said he felt like he was repeatedly kicked in the gut, nothing at all hinting that he was detrimental in the locker room.

Do you even read peoples posts before you go on the defensive? I said " Just because AD and Harvin are boys, doesn't mean others don't think he is a cancer to the team" How does that apply that I am stating that others think he is a cancer?

Obviously the Vikings front office thought he was a cancer to the team huh? Last time I checked, that's all that matters. But wait, I will make sure I find a tweet on that first to please you :rolleyes:

I can't prove that other players believe he is a cancer anymore then you can prove that they don't he is a cancer. However, I won't get to 50,666 posts by disputing every notion that someone writes because I think I know everything.

vikinggreg
03-12-2013, 10:08 AM

Interesting

Peterson says he likes running out of a single back formation and he's slapping Felton in the face but Harvin walks out on the team in training camp, has a raucous with the coach on the sidelines, later has a locker room blow out (that got him removed from the team for the remainder of the season), later demands outlandish money to stay with the team or a trade, also has other issues coming to light regarding Ponder.....and he's only had one incident from your perspective and has done nothing to affect the locker room, I guess many of us just don't get Percy's sense of humor or something then.

vikinggreg
03-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Cris Carter: Vikings are better off without Percy Harvin (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/12/cris-carter-vikings-are-better-off-without-percy-harvin/)

Carter noted that getting a first-round draft pick and two additional picks for Harvin will help the franchise build depth, and that all three of those picks combined will cost the Vikings less than what the Seahawks are going to pay Harvin on his new contract. Carter also noted that the Vikings only had Harvin for nine games last season, and that they went 5-2 without him over the final seven games of the regular season.
“Chicago got an elite receiver in Brandon Marshall and it only cost them two third-round picks,” Carter said. “So I think the Vikings did well. And they’re able to keep their salary cap intact rather than paying $11 million to $13 million a year to a guy that you don’t know how much he’s going to play. With Percy’s style, he’s going to get hurt. And don’t forget, the Vikings also had a lot of success without Percy at the end of last season.”
According to Carter, the Vikings can get better at receiver in the draft and should only go shopping for a receiver in free agency if they can do it at an affordable price. So while Vikings fans may be concerned about the loss of Harvin, Carter says they should just relax.

I still think they need a good veteran FA to help mentor a young corp but when you look at what they got compare to the Marshall trade it does look like the Vikings got some decent value. And I would have been behind the team if they tried to keep Harvin under his current contract (as I couldn't see them meeting the CJ money demands) and used the franchise tag a couple of times to him here for a total of 2 or 3 seasons it would have been more than just a bit of a distraction and trubulent to say the least.

tastywaves
03-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Interesting

Peterson says he likes running out of a single back formation and he's slapping Felton in the face but Harvin walks out on the team in training camp, has a raucous with the coach on the sidelines, later has a locker room blow out (that got him removed from the team for the remainder of the season), later demands outlandish money to stay with the team or a trade, also has other issues coming to light regarding Ponder.....and he's only had one incident from your perspective and has done nothing to affect the locker room, I guess many of us just don't get Percy's sense of humor or something then.

I love me some AD, but I think he's a quiet leader for a reason :)

Percy was an athletic freak and supremely confident, AD can relate. Now AD is stuck with a bunch of inferior humans who have yet to evolve physically.

mountainviking
03-12-2013, 12:43 PM
I love me some AD, but I think he's a quiet leader for a reason :)

Percy was an athletic freak and supremely confident, AD can relate. Now AD is stuck with a bunch of inferior humans who have yet to evolve physically.

LOL! Yup!! ;)

Well, I think it sucks that we had to get rid of him, but it's great that we got something out of it. I've heard it said, and seen and read that this particular draft is devoid of sure-fire, top ten talent, BUT, that there is very little drop off until 25 or 30 guys go off the board. We now have 2 of those talented picks...and some change, the 7th, but I really like the sound of an extra 3rd next year...if the Ponder continues to fail, perhaps, it helps set us up to make a move for a replacement next draft.

And, it opens up options for Free Agency and this draft. I wouldn't mind Wes Welker for a reasonable price, cuz I think we need at least one vet leader in our WR core and this guy would be a good example of a hard working team leader. In the draft there's Tavon Austin and Ryan Swope who have both played some RB and WR. Despite Austin being the more sparkling pick, he also may have Harvin style ego...I really like Swope's consistent production, and, he's built like a Harvin with a bit more muscle and has more routes in his repertoire, tho less experience from the backfield.

But, I think we might actually be moving away from the slot guy being our no.1 option. We already have Kyle Rudolf as a threat in the middle, and some decent slot potential in Wright. What we need to add is a speedy, deep threat WR on one outside, AND a reliable, versatile, runs all the routes guy over near the other sideline.

So, options at each....

Reliable/Route Runner: Gennings, Cruz? (Boldin woulda fit), Keenen Allen, Robert Woods, perhaps, Hopkins?

Speedy/Deep Threat: Wallace, Tavon Austin? Justin Hunter, Ryan Swope, Terrance Williams, Quinton Patton?

In short, the options to fix this are there, lets just hope we see Spielman make it happen! Oh, and a RT apparently!

SKOL VIKINGS!!! GO GET SOME!!!!!

tarkenton10
03-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Well, now we need to sign Jennings or Wallace and then draft Tavon austin. He isn't Percy's size but he has his explosiveness and in the second pick up Hunter or Woods.

tastywaves
03-12-2013, 01:03 PM
LOL! Yup!! ;)

Well, I think it sucks that we had to get rid of him, but it's great that we got something out of it. I've heard it said, and seen and read that this particular draft is devoid of sure-fire, top ten talent, BUT, that there is very little drop off until 25 or 30 guys go off the board. We now have 2 of those talented picks...and some change, the 7th, but I really like the sound of an extra 3rd next year...if the Ponder continues to fail, perhaps, it helps set us up to make a move for a replacement next draft.

And, it opens up options for Free Agency and this draft. I wouldn't mind Wes Welker for a reasonable price, cuz I think we need at least one vet leader in our WR core and this guy would be a good example of a hard working team leader. In the draft there's Tavon Austin and Ryan Swope who have both played some RB and WR. Despite Austin being the more sparkling pick, he also may have Harvin style ego...I really like Swope's consistent production, and, he's built like a Harvin with a bit more muscle and has more routes in his repertoire, tho less experience from the backfield.

But, I think we might actually be moving away from the slot guy being our no.1 option. We already have Kyle Rudolf as a threat in the middle, and some decent slot potential in Wright. What we need to add is a speedy, deep threat WR on one outside, AND a reliable, versatile, runs all the routes guy over near the other sideline.

So, options at each....

Reliable/Route Runner: Gennings, Cruz? (Boldin woulda fit), Keenen Allen, Robert Woods, perhaps, Hopkins?

Speedy/Deep Threat: Wallace, Tavon Austin? Justin Hunter, Ryan Swope, Terrance Williams, Quinton Patton?

In short, the options to fix this are there, lets just hope we see Spielman make it happen! Oh, and a RT apparently!

SKOL VIKINGS!!! GO GET SOME!!!!!

Hopefully we can make a move in FA for one of the better WR's, but I don't see us getting too crazy on the contract. Jennings appears to be the most likely option, and he may be had for at a somewhat reasonable price.

I think there will be a number of WR's in this draft that will have long term impacts. There will also be a few duds no doubt. Hope we get it right.

Swope is one of the intriguing guys to me. He is one of those guys that flies under the radar, but has always been a real solid producer. He did have some concussions, so a little gamble there. But he is a tough kid and can also block. Projected as a 3rd rounder, but probably go higher based on the buzz.

He also has mad skillz...check out the video if you haven't seen it:

NFL prospect Ryan Swope impresses in trick-shot video - NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000148727/article/nfl-prospect-ryan-swope-impresses-in-trickshot-video)

Mr Anderson
03-12-2013, 01:22 PM
This might be deserving of its own thread.

Vikings grew tired of Harvin complaining about Ponder | ProFootballTalk (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/12/vikings-grew-tired-of-harvin-complaining-about-ponder/)

If that's really the reason we traded Harvin, for calling a spade a spade, I'm seriously disappointed.

It's now fairly obvious what his problem last summer was too.

mountainviking
03-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Hopefully we can make a move in FA for one of the better WR's, but I don't see us getting too crazy on the contract. Jennings appears to be the most likely option, and he may be had for at a somewhat reasonable price.

I think there will be a number of WR's in this draft that will have long term impacts. There will also be a few duds no doubt. Hope we get it right.

Swope is one of the intriguing guys to me. He is one of those guys that flies under the radar, but has always been a real solid producer. He did have some concussions, so a little gamble there. But he is a tough kid and can also block. Projected as a 3rd rounder, but probably go higher based on the buzz.

He also has mad skillz...check out the video if you haven't seen it:

NFL prospect Ryan Swope impresses in trick-shot video - NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000148727/article/nfl-prospect-ryan-swope-impresses-in-trickshot-video)
Yup. Pressures on Spielman, better get it right!

Nice! I kinda got the feeling he's going to slip up into the 2nd too. But, there are other needs and several WRs listed above him...?

Traveling_Vike
03-13-2013, 01:33 AM
Much as I hate to lose the kind of talent that Harvin has, this really had to happen, IMO. He's just not a team player. I'll paraphrase JFK and tell him,

Ask not what the team will do for you. Ask what you can do for the team.

Listen carefully to his comments from Tuesday's press conference in Seattle. There are multiple instances of Percy indirectly slamming the Vikings for not doing things the way he wants. He repeatedly disses on Ponder by praising Wilson for what he supposedly offers. It's subtle and indirect, but very definitely there.

Sorry, Percy, but the talent isn't worth the headaches. (Ours, not yours.)

I don't wish him ill, either, but I'd prefer not to see the Seahawks benefit from this after what they did to us with a certain other WR's poison contract. Why do we even still deal with them, anyway?

Down to it, there are still plenty of options left, both in FA and the draft. We won't be able to solve all of our problems at once, but we can still make positive strides and position ourselves for more improvement next year, when there may be better long-term options available at WR and maybe even at QB. There certainly isn't a better option there this year (unless you think Fitzpatrick is the answer).

Buckle up, amigos. It's going to be a long ride, and probably pretty bumpy, but we'll get through it.

singersp
03-13-2013, 05:44 AM
Interesting

Again, how many of those incidents happened in the locker room? Look back at what you posted. I still see 1. I stand by my claim that he had 1 locker room incident involving Frazier. Having an argument with Frasier on the sidelines about what our QB isn't seeing or doing doesn't make him a cancer in the locker room. Having another argument with his coach in the locker room doesn't necessarily make him one either

Now who should I believe, fans on forums or a few media people that labeled him as cancer or actual players on our team? Hmmmm! We already know what our star player said & it's well documented that Frasier wanted him back. Add Kevin Williams and others to that list that disagree he was a cancer in the locker room.

Williams said he wasn't sure why the Vikings would trade away a player of Harvin's caliber, adding that Harvin was well-liked in the locker room and some of the receiver's on-field actions, like his sideline rant to coach Leslie Frazier on Nov. 4, were misconstrued.

Williams said he never saw the player and coach argue out in the open.

"If it happened, it probably went on behind closed doors," Williams said. He added, "Nobody had any problems with Percy (in the locker room). He went about his business, did his work. Sometimes, his passion for what he did on the football field got taken out of context. He was real passionate about what he did. That's good for ballplayers."

Minnesota Vikings: Percy Harvin trade befuddles Kevin Williams

Minnesota Vikings: Percy Harvin trade befuddles Kevin Williams - TwinCities.com (http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22767351/minnesota-vikings-percy-harvin-trade-befuddles-kevin-williams)

Who to believe? Star players from the Vikings who are part of that team in the locker room or a bunch of fans calling him a locker room cancer.

vikinggreg
03-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Again, how many of those incidents happened in the locker room? Look back at what you posted. I still see 1. I stand by my claim that he had 1 locker room incident involving Frazier. Having an argument with Frasier on the sidelines about what our QB isn't seeing or doing doesn't make him a cancer in the locker room. Having another argument with his coach in the locker room doesn't necessarily make him one either

Now who should I believe, fans on forums or a few media people that labeled him as cancer or actual players on our team? Hmmmm! We already know what our star player said & it's well documented that Frasier wanted him back. Add Kevin Williams and others to that list that disagree he was a cancer in the locker room.

Minnesota Vikings: Percy Harvin trade befuddles Kevin Williams

Minnesota Vikings: Percy Harvin trade befuddles Kevin Williams - TwinCities.com (http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22767351/minnesota-vikings-percy-harvin-trade-befuddles-kevin-williams)

Who to believe? Star players from the Vikings who are part of that team in the locker room or a bunch of fans calling him a locker room cancer.

I still find it interesting that you will claim Peterson is slapping Felton in the face with a comment and then minimize Harvin's behavior