PDA

View Full Version : Vikings to battle for Wallace?

singersp
03-07-2013, 07:34 AM
Vikings expected to battle Dolphins for Mike Wallace

Report: Vikings expected to battle Dolphins for Mike Wallace | ProFootballTalk (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/06/report-vikings-expected-to-battle-dolphins-for-mike-wallace/)

singersp
03-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Vikings Might Be Front Runners In The Mike Wallace Sweepstakes

Vikings Might Be Front Runners In The Mike Wallace Sweepstakes - Daily Norseman (http://www.dailynorseman.com/2013/3/6/4072010/minnesota-vikings-mike-wallace-free-agency-miami-dolphins)

jargomcfargo
03-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Vikings Might Be Front Runners In The Mike Wallace Sweepstakes

Vikings Might Be Front Runners In The Mike Wallace Sweepstakes - Daily Norseman (http://www.dailynorseman.com/2013/3/6/4072010/minnesota-vikings-mike-wallace-free-agency-miami-dolphins)

Trade Percy. Aquire Wallace. Pay him the money retaining Percy would have cost.
Put Wright in the slot and you have a more balanced and, perhaps better, offense.

But Spielman is a value shopper and he probably wont show interest, much less, be able to compete with teams with more cap space.

I would be very surprised if Wallace became a Viking.

PackSux!
03-07-2013, 02:05 PM
I would prefer to keep Percy Harvin and go with another FA WR that wouldn't cost as much and also find one in the draft.

MulletMullitia
03-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Why not just trade Percy to Miami (his home) and eliminate the only other bidder for Mike Wallace? We could get our guy, not break the bank, and get much needed draft picks for Percy. Dolphins love this trade because Percy > Wallace. Works for everyone.

kevoncox
03-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Mike Wallace is a body catcher. Nothing i hate worst than a body catcher.

Purple Floyd
03-07-2013, 05:49 PM
Put Wright in the slot and you have a more balanced and, perhaps better, offense.

But Spielman is a value shopper and he probably wont show interest, much less, be able to compete with teams with more cap space.

I would be very surprised if Wallace became a Viking.

You are a wise and observant man.

MaxVike
03-07-2013, 06:00 PM

I hear ya, but, I hate a body snatcher more :rofl:

i_bleed_purple
03-07-2013, 06:27 PM

HOLY HELL Kevon... I agree with you!

I don't like Wallace, nevermind as a #1 receiver. Wallace is a guy who has a role. He's a better version of Berrian. No more. There's no denying his speed, his straightline speed is unrivaled in this league. Problem is, there's more to football than running fast. He doesn't catch very well with his hands, he's got an attitude, he doesn't run the complete route tree. I don't even have faith in him to run more than half of it reliably. He's not overly big or physical, and he'll cost a LOT of money.

He's Bernard Berrian 2.0. Mark my words. Somebody will overpay him based on some alright production with a guy with a huge arm throwing to him. He'll go to another team, be the #1 and be average to below average as far as production is concerned. COmpare the stats, he's a slightly improved Berrian.

I'm not opposed to getting him, as we NEED receivers. Anything is better than nothing, but I hope we don't sacrifice better players in order to get him. I just don't think we're equipped to use him well.

kevoncox
03-07-2013, 06:43 PM

I don't like Wallace, nevermind as a #1 receiver. Wallace is a guy who has a role. He's a better version of Berrian. No more. There's no denying his speed, his straightline speed is unrivaled in this league. Problem is, there's more to football than running fast. He doesn't catch very well with his hands, he's got an attitude, he doesn't run the complete route tree. I don't even have faith in him to run more than half of it reliably. He's not overly big or physical, and he'll cost a LOT of money.

He's Bernard Berrian 2.0. Mark my words. Somebody will overpay him based on some alright production with a guy with a huge arm throwing to him. He'll go to another team, be the #1 and be average to below average as far as production is concerned. COmpare the stats, he's a slightly improved Berrian.

I'm not opposed to getting him, as we NEED receivers. Anything is better than nothing, but I hope we don't sacrifice better players in order to get him. I just don't think we're equipped to use him well.

There are 2 Wrs that will be better than him in this draft.
I think Hunter and Woods will be eventually better than him as pure WRs.
He is a good wr but not worth the 11 million he is asking for.

MaxVike
03-08-2013, 07:13 AM
Agreed re: $11MM...

Besides, I would rather have Jennings out of the FA WRs. High character, complete player, unselfish, great production, "gets" Team.

I also like Brandon Gibson...he's more of a "Spielman guy." Under the radar, good upside, low risk...

All that said, anyone is a significant improvement...as we all painfully know.

singersp
03-08-2013, 07:50 AM

I also like Brandon Gibson...he's more of a "Spielman guy." Under the radar, good upside, low risk...

I think Mohamed Massaquoi is more of a Spielman guy. Down at the bottom of the pool where Spielman mainly feeds.

singersp
03-08-2013, 07:52 AM

Mike Wallace in, Percy Harvin out for Vikings?
Y! SPORTS (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--mike-wallace-in--percy-harvin-out-for-vikes--032959743.html)

PackSux!
03-08-2013, 10:25 AM
If we gain Wallace and lose Percy let's just hope that Wright can step up and replace Harvin.

If Wright does blow up and become as good as Harvin then we will be in the same boat a couple years from now.

kevoncox
03-08-2013, 11:21 AM
I hate that everyone thinks Wright is a good wr. I mean what has he done exactly. Caught a couple of passes. 1 deep ball, a td or two? He's simply an average speedster. There is a reason he was around in the 4th. He's fast and small and has yet to show me anything cclose to being the player people think he will be.

NodakPaul
03-08-2013, 11:29 AM
I hate that everyone thinks Wright is a good wr. I mean what has he done exactly. Caught a couple of passes. 1 deep ball, a td or two? He's simply an average speedster. There is a reason he was around in the 4th. He's fast and small and has yet to show me anything cclose to being the player people think he will be.

That doesn't make him a bad recevier either. He showed some flashes of potential last year, and in a WR's rookie year that is normally all you can expect.

I don't think that Wright will be as good as Harvin - Harvin really i a special player. But I think that a Wallace + Wright combo would be better than a Harvin + Wright combo. Mostly because both Harvin and Wright are best suited to the slot.

That being said, I am not 100% sold on Wallace either. He is fast as hell, but isn't the best route runner. I think he would instantly be the #1 WR on our team, but that isn't saying much either. I hope we pursue him, but not break the bank on him.

mountainviking
03-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Why not just trade Percy to Miami (his home) and eliminate the only other bidder for Mike Wallace? We could get our guy, not break the bank, and get much needed draft picks for Percy. Dolphins love this trade because Percy > Wallace. Works for everyone.

I was thinking the Dolphins were a perfect fit for him too. Not only is it home for him, but they also have a shitload of cap space and extra picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

On the other hand, Gotta agree with the sentiment that it's hard to believe we'll sign Wallace. How many times have we courted big name FA WRs only to see them sign elsewhere? Easier to believe he'll get a better deal, in a warmer climate with a better QB throwing the ball...

But he does fill a role we need of deep threat WR. I could see him starting on one side with a more versatile route runner starting on the other and Wright/Harvin working the slot, and we could still add that guy in the draft. It's too bad Keenen Allen can't run a 40 with his knee lingering, or is it!?? ;)

tastywaves
03-08-2013, 12:22 PM
I was thinking the Dolphins were a perfect fit for him too. Not only is it home for him, but they also have a shitload of cap space and extra picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

On the other hand, Gotta agree with the sentiment that it's hard to believe we'll sign Wallace. How many times have we courted big name FA WRs only to see them sign elsewhere? Easier to believe he'll get a better deal, in a warmer climate with a better QB throwing the ball...

But he does fill a role we need of deep threat WR. I could see him starting on one side with a more versatile route runner starting on the other and Wright/Harvin working the slot, and we could still add that guy in the draft. It's too bad Keenen Allen can't run a 40 with his knee lingering, or is it!?? ;)

I don't think anyone was expecting Allen to turn in a blazing 40 time. Most projections I read had him right around 4.5 (although he thinks he can run a 4.4). Good speed, but not elite. Doesn't mean he can't be a good deep threat receiver though. Especially at 6-3 or 6-2 depending on which site you read. His larger value I think will be in his versatility to play in any WR position.

MaxVike
03-08-2013, 12:40 PM

I think Mohamed Massaquoi is more of a Spielman guy. Down at the bottom of the pool where Spielman mainly feeds.

I get that you hate Spielman. Do you also hate Brandon Gibson?

Jereamiah
03-08-2013, 01:01 PM
D Amendola? I can't see the Front office payin up for Wallace. I feel like Amendola would bring some solid, if not flashy, play at the wr position. Would love to see the Vikes go for him.

mountainviking
03-08-2013, 01:04 PM
I don't think anyone was expecting Allen to turn in a blazing 40 time. Most projections I read had him right around 4.5 (although he thinks he can run a 4.4). Good speed, but not elite. Doesn't mean he can't be a good deep threat receiver though. Especially at 6-3 or 6-2 depending on which site you read. His larger value I think will be in his versatility to play in any WR position.

I'm just suggesting that it might help him fall to us a lil...and that we need not only a deep threat, speedster type of guy, but an all around, versatile route runner as well. And, probably another mid-late round developmental guy and maybe a low-tier vet, or Simpson back as well.

IF we trade Harvin, our WRs currently signed are: Wright, Burton, Childs, Summers and LeMark Brown, apparently a converted TE...? :think:

tarkenton10
03-08-2013, 01:09 PM

I agree, speed doesn't mean everything, look at Sidney Rice. He was our deep guy and Allen, I am sure is faster than he is. I think Allen will be a good pro but there are other WRs in the draft that I prefer.

mountainviking
03-08-2013, 01:25 PM
I just happened to see an interview with Allen and thought he represented himself very well. Seemed intelligent, focused, and willing to put the work in. In other words, a great fit for the team-first, blue-collar team that seems to be building in MN.

I wouldn't put that as the all important aspect to every draft pick, but a nice deciding factor when comparing guys who are all very close in value when considering the big picture, ie their whole game. And, if his skill set is as advertised: precise routes and reliable hands, I just think that's really, really important to building a young QB's confidence...whether that continues to be Ponder or not.

Which is why I also like Woods in the 2nd, and/or Swope in the third.

kevoncox
03-08-2013, 03:01 PM
That doesn't make him a bad recevier either. He showed some flashes of potential last year, and in a WR's rookie year that is normally all you can expect.

I don't think that Wright will be as good as Harvin - Harvin really i a special player. But I think that a Wallace + Wright combo would be better than a Harvin + Wright combo. Mostly because both Harvin and Wright are best suited to the slot.

That being said, I am not 100% sold on Wallace either. He is fast as hell, but isn't the best route runner. I think he would instantly be the #1 WR on our team, but that isn't saying much either. I hope we pursue him, but not break the bank on him.

Wright is a 3rd WR at best. I see nothing that elevates him from alright. I wouldn't be upset if we cut him. We won't because our corps is that bad.

midgensa
03-08-2013, 03:29 PM

Lets calm down a bit. Berrian was never CLOSE to as productive as Mike Wallace has been. Hell, in Berrian's ENTIRE career he had 8 less touchdowns than Wallace has so far in his four years and only 80 more total yards. So, yes, I compared the stats and he is not "a slightly improved Berrian" ... he is a significantly better wide receiver than Berrian.

All that said ... I would not break the bank for him in hopes of getting him and moving Percy. If we are going to pay someone ... I believe it should be Harvin. Now, if we can have both of them, we would be in very good shape at wideout and would quickly know if it is time to kick Ponder to the curb.

kevoncox
03-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Lets calm down a bit. Berrian was never CLOSE to as productive as Mike Wallace has been. Hell, in Berrian's ENTIRE career he had 8 less touchdowns than Wallace has so far in his four years and only 80 more total yards. So, yes, I compared the stats and he is not "a slightly improved Berrian" ... he is a significantly better wide receiver than Berrian.

All that said ... I would not break the bank for him in hopes of getting him and moving Percy. If we are going to pay someone ... I believe it should be Harvin. Now, if we can have both of them, we would be in very good shape at wideout and would quickly know if it is time to kick Ponder to the curb.

In his defense. Berrian never had as good QB as Big Ben...
Does it not sicken anyone that BB was cut and no team sniffed him? How bad is our WR corps?
Jenkins will not get a look either. WHy are we holding on to these pieces of garbage.

tastywaves
03-08-2013, 06:21 PM
In his defense. Berrian never had as good QB as Big Ben...
Does it not sicken anyone that BB was cut and no team sniffed him? How bad is our WR corps?
Jenkins will not get a look either. WHy are we holding on to these pieces of garbage.

I think we cut both of them.

kevoncox
03-08-2013, 11:44 PM
I think we cut both of them.

Sorry.. I meant why did it take so long?

singersp
03-09-2013, 09:42 AM
In his defense. Berrian never had as good a QB as Big Ben....

WTF are you talking about?

In 2009 Berrian had Brett Favre, who threw for 4,202 yards & 33 TD's, completed 28.6% of his passes & only threw 7 INT's . Big Ben threw 4,328 yards that year, but only threw 26 TD's, completed 66.6% of his passes & had 12 INT's.

How can you even make that statement?

singersp
03-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Bargains and busts in 2013 NFL free agency

NFL Free Agency 2013: Mike Wallace Andre Smith, Fred Davis, more bargains and busts | Audibles - SI.com (http://nfl.si.com/2013/03/07/bargains-and-busts-from-the-2013-free-agent-class/)

Busts
Mike Wallace, WR: It’s understandable to have major questions about Wallace, who, on paper, probably is the jewel of this free-agent class. That standing combined with a plethora of teams in need of a No. 1 receiver means Wallace will get paid. He often appeared unmotivated last season, though, so what will his mindset be once he cashes in a monster paycheck?

jargomcfargo
03-09-2013, 12:46 PM

NFL Free Agency 2013: Mike Wallace Andre Smith, Fred Davis, more bargains and busts | Audibles - SI.com (http://nfl.si.com/2013/03/07/bargains-and-busts-from-the-2013-free-agent-class/)

I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Spielman wont over pay for Wallace. Therefore, he wont be a Viking.
There are acouple of mid tier WR I think he will target instead.
Like you pointed out with Carlson, over paying in free agency often results in cap space money wasted. It can have a negative affect on the team for the future and historicly doesn't pay off.
Rarely does bringing in one player have a huge impact on a team.
Favre as an example, had a huge positive impact one year and a negative impact the next. In addition his cap hit reduced the Vikings ability to be much of a player in the free agent market for a couple of years.
I would like to see Wallace in purple, but realize he probably isn't worth the money. Better look for a speedster in the draft.

Purple Floyd
03-09-2013, 02:28 PM
I see him going to NE

Brewtal
03-09-2013, 05:57 PM
I would rather get Boldin.

midgensa
03-10-2013, 10:25 AM

This would be my major concern with Wallace. He seemed to just go through the motions last year knowing he was getting a pay day in the offseason.

Now, he could have just been trying to protect himself and his financial future, and once he gets his guaranteed money he will play harder because he has that in the bank ... but it still concerns me a bit.

As I said in my last post though ... if we can get him without dropping more than Vincent Jackson money ... then I think we should do it. You can NEVER have too many good receivers in the NFL ... and if we lose Harvin and we don't sign Wallce ... then we are looking at having all of ZERO on the roster.

RK.
03-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Wallace is a great reciever but only if we have a QB that can get the ball to him. It is a waste if half his receptions are only 5 yrds deep or behind the LOS. If Ponder doesn't step up big time this year it is all for naught.

singersp
03-10-2013, 11:24 AM
This would be my major concern with Wallace. He seemed to just go through the motions last year knowing he was getting a pay day in the offseason.

Now, he could have just been trying to protect himself and his financial future, and once he gets his guaranteed money he will play harder because he has that in the bank ... but it still concerns me a bit.

As I said in my last post though ... if we can get him without dropping more than Vincent Jackson money ... then I think we should do it. You can NEVER have too many good receivers in the NFL ... and if we lose Harvin and we don't sign Wallce ... then we are looking at having all of ZERO on the roster.

IMO it would be completely the opposite. During a contract year a player will/should play harder because he wants to get a huge payday from those interested in him.

Once he has that huge payday & guaranteed money he can take it easy because he has that money in the bank.

Purple Floyd
03-10-2013, 08:17 PM
I would rather get Boldin.

Get Boldin and trade Percy for Fitz. That should round out the WR group nicely.

Purple Floyd
03-28-2013, 11:39 PM
Vikings offered Mike Wallace richer contract, dad says

Vikings offered Mike Wallace richer contract, dad says - NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000155184/article/mike-wallaces-dad-says-vikings-offered-richer-contract)

The Miami Dolphins (http://www.nfl.com/teams/miamidolphins/profile?team=MIA) handed Mike Wallace (http://www.nfl.com/player/mikewallace/2507763/profile) the richest contract among this year's free agents, good for $27 million in guarantees and $60 million over five years.

To hear Wallace's father tell it, the speedy wide receiver's pay day could have been even higher. Mike Wallace Jr. claims his son actually turned down more money from theMinnesota Vikings (http://www.nfl.com/teams/minnesotavikings/profile?team=MIN). The St. Louis Rams (http://www.nfl.com/teams/st.louisrams/profile?team=STL) and Seattle Seahawks (http://www.nfl.com/teams/seattleseahawks/profile?team=SEA) were among the teams that also showed interest, according to Wallace's dad.
A native of New Orleans, Wallace has had designs on heading south since the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) neglected to meet his long-term contract demands last offseason.
"The (Vikings (http://www.nfl.com/teams/minnesotavikings/profile?team=MIN)) had come to the point where they were telling him, 'You don't have to live here, just be here during the season,' " Wallace's dad recently told The Miami Herald (http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/28/3312010/mike-wallaces-journey-to-miami.html). "He wanted to get out of that snow and cold weather."

singersp
03-29-2013, 08:19 AM
The Miami Dolphins handed Mike Wallace the richest contract among this year's free agents, good for $27 million in guarantees and $60 million over five years.

To hear Wallace's father tell it, the speedy wide receiver's pay day could have been even higher. Mike Wallace Jr. claims his son actually turned down more money from the Minnesota Vikings.

So the Vikings were willing to pay more than $12 mil/yr for a WR after all.

RK.
03-29-2013, 11:39 AM
He didn't want the cold weather. I suspect that as a receiver he didn't want to play out side for the two years that the Vikes will have to while the stadium is being built. I wonder how many other players that fact will influence their wanting to play here over the next 3 years.

NodakPaul
03-29-2013, 11:58 AM
So the Vikings were willing to pay more than $12 mil/yr for a WR after all.

IDK. Floria isn't buying it, and I am not so sure either. It doesn't pass the smell test IMHO

Wallace’s dad claims Vikings offered more | ProFootballTalk (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/28/wallaces-dad-claims-vikings-offered-more/)

...Widespread perception throughout the league during the three-day tampering period and the hours before Wallace had a deal in place with the Dolphins was that the Dolphins had no real competitor for Wallace’s services. If the Dolphins actually had managed to get Wallace without having to be the highest bidder, the Dolphins would have found a way to get the word out on that point — especially in light of the chronic suggestion in recent years that players don’t want to play in Miami.

Besides, the Vikings weren’t in position to make a serious run at Wallace until the day before the market opened, when a deal was struck to send receiver Percy Harvin to the Seahawks. By then, the Dolphins had the foundation in place for a deal that was wrapped up quickly once the new league year began.

We’re not saying Wallace’s father is lying. It’s far more likely that facts got blurred and/or bastardized in translation...

VikesfaninWis
03-29-2013, 02:26 PM
I'm glad he didn't accept the Vikings offer if it is indeed true that they offered more money. Yes he has blazing speed, and can usually get separation from defenders, but I like what Greg Jennings brings to this team more than what Wallace would have.

Jennings has great hands, runs great routes, can do damage after the catch, and is a great locker room guy whereas Wallace has very good speed, runs ok routes, doesn't have the best hands, and is known to be a diva at times. I would rather have Jennings for less any day of the week, and twice on Sunday's (pun intended)

mountainviking
03-30-2013, 12:19 PM
I'm glad he didn't accept the Vikings offer if it is indeed true that they offered more money. Yes he has blazing speed, and can usually get separation from defenders, but I like what Greg Jennings brings to this team more than what Wallace would have.

Jennings has great hands, runs great routes, can do damage after the catch, and is a great locker room guy whereas Wallace has very good speed, runs ok routes, doesn't have the best hands, and is known to be a diva at times. I would rather have Jennings for less any day of the week, and twice on Sunday's (pun intended)

I agree, and I think we might be better off with Jennings than Harvin too. I just think he's going to help our other young WRs more in the film room and on the sidelines, and quite possibly, he'll have some helpful insight for our young QB too.

VikesfaninWis
03-30-2013, 12:27 PM
I agree, and I think we might be better off with Jennings than Harvin too. I just think he's going to help our other young WRs more in the film room and on the sidelines, and quite possibly, he'll have some helpful insight for our young QB too.

Not to mention a complete understanding of the Packers offensive playbook. :bow:

GB will no doubt have to change their play calling up, which could pose some troubles for them. I am sure they would have no problem doing that, but just having to switch something they did for so long is a plus for the other teams playing them.

Purple Floyd
03-30-2013, 01:48 PM

+2