PDA

View Full Version : What will the new stadium look like?

NodakPaul
02-23-2013, 03:45 PM
The new stadium design will be released sometime next month. Anyone have any guesses/wishes for what the new stadium will look like? Here is what we know (which isn't much).

HKS is architect. They also designed the Cownoys Stadium and Lucas Oil Field.
The front row will be 44 feet from the playing field
The stadium will also hold a baseball diamond
It will have some kind of retractable element in it. Probably not a roof, more likely a window.

Here are the stadium concepts submitted by HKS when they won the contract, although they stressed that the final design may not look anything like them.
http://images.publicradio.org/content/2012/09/28/20120928_stadiumview_1_53.jpg
http://images.publicradio.org/content/2012/09/28/20120928_stadiumview2_53.jpg

NodakPaul
02-23-2013, 03:47 PM
I think sweeping lines like the first one would be kind of cool, but if they build something as god awful as the blue onion in the second image I will be pissed.

NodakPaul
02-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Just realized that Shock blogged on this same topic:
http://www.purplepride.org/blogs/shockzilla/new-vikings-stadium-one-guys-opinion-167/

singersp
02-23-2013, 05:50 PM
I think sweeping lines like the first one would be kind of cool, but if they build something as god awful as the blue onion in the second image I will be pissed.

Blue onion? Interesting perspective. IMO it looks more like an igloo condo.

singersp
02-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Why not make the concepts of the stadium when quoting it actually look like what they will be proposing to build.

To make drawings of futurama type buildings they have no intentions of building and then assign a price tag to it to win business is a waste of time IMO. They just had to re-quote the business all over again & don't even have a concept of what that building would look like.

marshallvike
02-23-2013, 06:43 PM

Looks more to me like blue waves and whitecaps. Water theme. I guess it is the land of 10,000 lakes.

RK.
02-24-2013, 01:28 AM
http://s11.postimage.org/62b9e0o4z/HKSAnfield.jpg

Purple Floyd
02-24-2013, 08:05 AM
It will probably look identical to the dome with a different color roof.

singersp
02-25-2013, 06:59 AM
I wonder what the concepts for the Metrodome looked like before we ended up with this........

http://s.imwx.com/img/images/news/december/metrodome-roof-in-tact-121210-595x200.jpg

Outdated from the onset

....The outcome was the Metrodome, which was completed in 1982 and never close to being on the cutting edge of stadium plans. It was the last multi-sport stadium built in the United States.

Until now...

marshallvike
02-25-2013, 08:38 AM
http://s11.postimage.org/62b9e0o4z/HKSAnfield.jpg

I like all the open land around this design, leaving plenty of land for Mr Wilf to develop. Wonder how they are going to incorporate that into it? They need to go back to the drawing board on this one and PUT IN SOME PARKING.

NodakPaul
02-25-2013, 11:12 AM
Why not make the concepts of the stadium when quoting it actually look like what they will be proposing to build.

To make drawings of futurama type buildings they have no intentions of building and then assign a price tag to it to win business is a waste of time IMO. They just had to re-quote the business all over again & don't even have a concept of what that building would look like.

I agree, that seemed weird to me too. Maybe it was so they wouldn't reveal anything to competitors, but still...

2beersTommy
02-25-2013, 11:17 AM
I like all the open land around this design, leaving plenty of land for Mr Wilf to develop. Wonder how they are going to incorporate that into it? They need to go back to the drawing board on this one and PUT IN SOME PARKING.

why? from what I understand, there's few to begin with

singersp
02-26-2013, 06:54 AM
I agree, that seemed weird to me too. Maybe it was so they wouldn't reveal anything to competitors, but still...

When we bid new HVAC controls for the big 3, us and our competitors bid on the same control design so that our customers have an apples to apples comparison to base their decision on.

Granted it's a control is not a football stadium but the principle is the same. Have a neutral designer design the actual stadium the Vikings want to build, then have the contractors all bid on the same design. That would have given the Vikings real number to put in front of congress when proposing the stadium that wouldn't change significantly once it's passed.

Reignman
02-27-2013, 02:47 AM
I don't like the idea of a retractable anything, sounds like a waste of money. It would only be open for what, 2 or 3 games at the most anyway? Plus if any part of the stadium opens up it'll mean an awful shadow problem like Lucas Oil Field. Those shadows were really hard on the eyes when we played the Colts in September. All stadiums with a retractable roof have terrible shadow problems.

NodakPaul
02-27-2013, 09:19 AM
I don't like the idea of a retractable anything, sounds like a waste of money. It would only be open for what, 2 or 3 games at the most anyway? Plus if any part of the stadium opens up it'll mean an awful shadow problem like Lucas Oil Field. Those shadows were really hard on the eyes when we played the Colts in September. All stadiums with a retractable roof have terrible shadow problems.

The shadows at Lucas Oil Field were specifically mentioned during at least two of the surveys that I did. I think the management is aware of the issues they cause and are looking to learn from others' mistakes. I have a feeling that if it is a retractable anything it will be a retractable wall in one endzone that opens up to the Minneapolis skyline. That will be a northwest exposure, so it should limit the shadows.

Purple Floyd
02-27-2013, 08:43 PM
The shadows at Lucas Oil Field were specifically mentioned during at least two of the surveys that I did. I think the management is aware of the issues they cause and are looking to learn from others' mistakes. I have a feeling that if it is a retractable anything it will be a retractable wall in one endzone that opens up to the Minneapolis skyline. That will be a northwest exposure, so it should limit the shadows.

Start by learning from GB and Chicago and leave the roof off.

marstc09
02-27-2013, 11:07 PM
It will look similar to the Cardinals

singersp
02-28-2013, 06:40 AM

Which is exactly why the biggest & most prestigious football game of the year, the SB is repeatedly played in those two cities, the way the game was meant to be played.

Oh wait! The SB has never ever been played in either of those two places.

jmcdon00
02-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Why even have it open then, a glass wall would show of the skyline.
I wasn't impressed with the moving wall at Lucas Oil, I would much rather have a Jumbotron like Dallas(except bigger).

jargomcfargo
02-28-2013, 06:56 PM
Why even have it open then, a glass wall would show of the skyline.
I wasn't impressed with the moving wall at Lucas Oil, I would much rather have a Jumbotron like Dallas(except bigger).

I like the glass wall concept, however I would like them to put the jumbotron out in the tailgate lot!

marshallvike
02-28-2013, 07:07 PM
Which is exactly why the biggest & most prestigious football game of the year, the SB is repeatedly played in those two cities, the way the game was meant to be played.

Would you rather host a Super Bowl, or win one?;)

Purple Floyd
02-28-2013, 09:33 PM
+1

Purple Floyd
02-28-2013, 09:35 PM

And all you hear their fans talk about is that they want a SB. I guess if hosting one trips your trigger that's fine.

singersp
03-01-2013, 01:43 AM
And all you hear their fans talk about is that they want a SB. I guess if hosting one trips your trigger that's fine.

And all you hear our fans talk about is that they want a SB. It has absolutely nothing to do with an indoor or outdoor stadium.

If you feel playing outdoors in a cold weather climate = advantage winning the SB, I guess you're welcome to that belief.

Wanting to have a roof on our stadium doesn't mean in any way shape or form, that I or anyone else who wants a roof, would rather host a SB than win one.

I'd love for us to win one. I'd love it even more if we won it in our own stadium. But I guess there are those who believe we'll never win one unless we play outdoors like the Packers & Bears.