PDA

View Full Version : Vikings interested in Donald Driver

C Mac D
01-29-2013, 05:39 PM
To be a Vikings fan... sigh

Report: Vikings interested in Donald Driver (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/29/report-vikings-interested-in-donald-driver/)

According to FOX 11 Sports in Green Bay, the Minnesota Vikings have interest in longtime division rival receiver Donald Driver. Driver, who soon turns 38 years old, is an impending free agent.

cont... (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/29/report-vikings-interested-in-donald-driver/)

Probably just a rumor but I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. Our FO is completely inept at evaluating WR talent... except for Harvin, who is a whiny brat.

i_bleed_purple
01-29-2013, 05:52 PM
Ugh......

Of all the Packers receivers we could look at, it was the guy who did nothing and is on the brink of retirement.... If this were 10 years ago I'd be pumped. Not so much anymore.

Purple Floyd
01-29-2013, 05:55 PM
:flame:

C Mac D
01-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Like the article says, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a rumor being spread by his agent.

marshallvike
01-29-2013, 06:00 PM
If it helps get jennings in the fold, why not?
Otherwise, no way.

C Mac D
01-29-2013, 06:04 PM
I don't really want Jennings either. Rather sign a Ming Dynasty vase to play WR.

Purple Floyd
01-29-2013, 06:08 PM
Say no to Packers castoffs. If they are not good enough to start on their team why in gods name would we want to settle for them on our team? Aim higher.

i_bleed_purple
01-29-2013, 06:10 PM
Say no to Packers castoffs. If they are not good enough to start on their team why in gods name would we want to settle for them on our team? Aim higher.

So do you lump Jennings with that?

i_bleed_purple
01-29-2013, 06:13 PM
I don't really want Jennings either. Rather sign a Ming Dynasty vase to play WR.

We need a receiver, and Jennings fits what we need. Assuming Bowe is unattainable.

Woudl you rather have Mike Wallace or Jennings?

C Mac D
01-29-2013, 06:17 PM
We need a receiver, and Jennings fits what we need. Assuming Bowe is unattainable.

Woudl you rather have Mike Wallace or Jennings?

I'd rather have someone who is actually on the field playing football, not constantly injured on the sideline.

Ming Dynasty vases are fragile. It was REALLY funny... trust me.

NodakPaul
01-29-2013, 06:20 PM
Like the article says, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a rumor being spread by his agent.

Agreed.

The Vikings have been very clear about the direction they want to go in FA - young players, most likely off their rookie contract, who show potential but aren't quite there. Felton is a prime example of the kind of FA they are looking for... even if it means going through a few Simpsons and Carlsons to get there.

Given the fact that WR is such a pressing need for the Vikings, I could see them bending the form a bit to sign someone, but Driver is so far out of the mold that he simply isn't a consideration.

Mr Anderson
01-29-2013, 06:35 PM
I'd rather have someone who is actually on the field playing football, not constantly injured on the sideline.

You cover up just a small portion of an O and you're left with a C. Clever disguise, Mac. Or should I say ... Mao?

PackSux!
01-29-2013, 07:09 PM
To be a Vikings fan... sigh

Probably just a rumor but I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. Our FO is completely inept at evaluating WR talent... except for Harvin, who is a whiny brat.

How do you figure Harvin is a whiny brat? Is it because he is way underpaid for what he brings to the team? Has Harvin ever came out and whined like a brat to the media? Or are you assuming this because he got into it with the coach during the Seahawks game?

I do not blame Harvin one bit for being upset with our quarterback play. I also don't blame him for not coming back this season and risking further injury to himself. The man only wants to be paid what he is worth so how can you blame him?

Would you return kicks, run between the tackles and run any route you are asked to when you are getting paid a gunners wage? Sure he was going to hold out last season but did he? NO.

Maybe it is just me, but I cannot stand when people talk out of their ass about Harvin.

Caine
01-29-2013, 07:14 PM
I have been one of the loudest advocates of adding WR's, but I don't think either one of these is the right move.

Driver is too old - he's done. He's had a great career, it's time to move on.

Jennings will cost too much.

'nuff said.

Caine

Tad7
01-29-2013, 07:52 PM
This is the wrong Packer

idahovikefan7
01-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Driver believes he has another 3 years in him but doesn't know if he wants to end his career with another team. I don't see it happening, bet he retires.

But if it's true that the Vikings are actually interested, I don't see why. They have become a "young" team, why go back to the washed up route?

But would I be surprised? No.

VKG4LFE
01-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Oh my god DO NOT sign that guy. I we want an old washed up WR go get Moss again. Geez.

i_bleed_purple
01-29-2013, 09:40 PM
I hear TO is still a free agent

VKG4LFE
01-29-2013, 09:44 PM
Yuck!!

singersp
01-30-2013, 06:21 AM
Agreed.

The Vikings have been very clear about the direction they want to go in FA - young players, most likely off their rookie contract, who show potential but aren't quite there. Felton is a prime example of the kind of FA they are looking for... even if it means going through a few Simpsons and Carlsons to get there.

Given the fact that WR is such a pressing need for the Vikings, I could see them bending the form a bit to sign someone, but Driver is so far out of the mold that he simply isn't a consideration.

I don't mind them going thru a few Simpson's to get where they're going, but we can ill-afford to go thru any more Carlson's. We don't need to throw a ton of money at a low end player to replace or compliment another player on our roster who is highly talented.

We never needed Carlson at all & would have been far better off keeping Shiancoe for the kind of money NE payed him.

Purple Floyd
01-30-2013, 07:42 AM
I just want to stay away from ex packers period.

midgensa
01-30-2013, 02:46 PM
I would totally believe this because it would make absolutely no fucking sense.

Donald Driver is not even a No. 4 or No. 5 anymore. I don't know how he had a job last year even with all of the injuries in Green Bay.

I would not HATE it if it means we get an inside track on Jennings, though I agree with C Mac ... his constant "injury" problems concern me a bit. But there is no doubt he is super talented and would be a major upgrade for us.

VKG4LFE
01-30-2013, 09:25 PM
Is anybody else tired of going after cheesedick retreads??

singersp
01-31-2013, 06:50 AM
I would totally believe this because it would make absolutely no fucking sense.

He would be an upgrade over most our receivers and It would piss Marrdro off! :hump:

Jarlvik
01-31-2013, 07:53 AM
He just announced he's retiring on February 6th on Mike &Mike ESPN.

VKG4LFE
01-31-2013, 07:53 AM
Driver is retiring. Thank god he wont be a viking.

RK.
01-31-2013, 11:19 AM
Is the real problem WR or is it we don't have a QB that can throw the ball down the field to a WR. After watching the pro bowl and what Rudolf did with a QB that can throw 20 yds down field it begs the question. Harvin will be back next year IMO and he is one of the best WR in the game.

mountainviking
01-31-2013, 12:01 PM
I don't mind them going thru a few Simpson's to get where they're going, but we can ill-afford to go thru any more Carlson's. We don't need to throw a ton of money at a low end player to replace or compliment another player on our roster who is highly talented.

We never needed Carlson at all & would have been far better off keeping Shiancoe for the kind of money NE payed him.

Actually, no, I don't think so...Carlson does more blocking than catching, and Shank isn't so good at blocking.

I wouldn't put much stock in what happens at the probowl. It's super water downed with all sorts of limitations on play calling, especially Defense. On top of that, think about who they had running downfield outside, vs. who the Vikings have running downfield, and wonder not why the TE gets more open in the middle.

Thank God Driver retired...cuz you know he'd fit right in with our scheme of slow guys who don't get open at WR!!? D'oh!

kevoncox
01-31-2013, 02:59 PM
Is the real problem WR or is it we don't have a QB that can throw the ball down the field to a WR. After watching the pro bowl and what Rudolf did with a QB that can throw 20 yds down field it begs the question. Harvin will be back next year IMO and he is one of the best WR in the game.

Both...
We didn't just have a problem with down field. I think we were like 1 of 20 on simple slants. Our Passing game needs to be completely fixed, including QB

kevoncox
01-31-2013, 03:47 PM

Maybe its cause it was inaccurate...
He missed 8 games this season and 3 last season. Prior to that he had played in 16 games 3 consecutive years in a row. That works out to be about 86% of the games in that span or 13 games a season. It seams like this year was an anomaly but not a guy that misses an absurd mount of time like you were insinuating.

BTW in that time he missed only 3 more games than Bowe.

C Mac D
01-31-2013, 04:05 PM
Maybe its cause it was inaccurate...
He missed 8 games this season and 3 last season. Prior to that he had played in 16 games 3 consecutive years in a row. That works out to be about 86% of the games in that span or 13 games a season. It seams like this year was an anomaly but not a guy that misses an absurd mount of time like you were insinuating.

BTW in that time he missed only 3 more games than Bowe.

That's sorta the point... time has a way of wearing down on the body.

3 years ago, Thomas Jones had 1,400 yards and was 3rd in the league in rushing... using your logic, we should sign him based on what he did 3 years ago?

It's obvious that Jennings' body is just breaking down and he's not the elite receiver he once was.

He's missed over 1/3 of his games over the past two seasons. What have you done for me lately?

kevoncox
01-31-2013, 07:23 PM
That's sorta the point... time has a way of wearing down on the body.

3 years ago, Thomas Jones had 1,400 yards and was 3rd in the league in rushing... using your logic, we should sign him based on what he did 3 years ago?

It's obvious that Jennings' body is just breaking down and he's not the elite receiver he once was.

He's missed over 1/3 of his games over the past two seasons. What have you done for me lately?

Explain to me how an MCL injury (very common football injury) and a Groin injury (very common injury) means your body is breaking down?

Maybe you missed week 17 vs. us but he had 8 catches for 120 yards and two tds. If that is broken down... sign me up.

He then shited on us the next weekn with 4 catches for 60 yards and then 6 for 54 and a td. We could use that kind of breaking down on this team.

Is Jordy Nelson breaking down too? Cause he has missed 4 games this season with pulled hammies. According to your logic Percy is broken because he has missed 3, 4 and 8 games in 3 consecutive years.

Breaking down tends to have injuries that are related. Bad hammies... leading to an Achilles or calf injury. MCl leading or a PCL or ACL injury. Re injuring the same site, What I saw vs. us was a player that looked the part of a baller.

singersp
02-01-2013, 05:40 AM
Actually, no, I don't think so...Carlson does more blocking than catching, and Shank isn't so good at blocking.

Just how much time on the field do you think Carlson has seen?

Purple Floyd
02-01-2013, 08:13 AM
DWTS has a way of braking the body down. I think it would be wise to pass on him.

NordicNed
02-02-2013, 08:46 AM
This is no longer a topic, Driver has come out with a statement, He Will Retire!.....End of a great career.....Good Choice if you ask me...

VKG4LFE
02-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Other cheesdicks have retired tho and still joined the vikes, I guess I'm not going to hold my breath haha

Marrdro
02-06-2013, 12:52 PM

Its because he has a name someone recognized.

I'm still convinced we will go after someone in FA but it will be someone coming off his first contract, that is on a team were he doesn't get many reps because of the guys in front of him, and the team will have to resign at least one or two of those flash cats.

The one I'm the most interested in is Ramses Barden. With the stuff going on with respect to Hixon, Cruz and Nicks, Barden will surely slip through the cracks.

singersp
02-07-2013, 07:14 AM
Its because he has a name someone recognized.

I'm still convinced we will go after someone in FA but it will be someone coming off his first contract, that is on a team were he doesn't get many reps because of the guys in front of him, and the team will have to resign at least one or two of those flash cats.

The one I'm the most interested in is Ramses Barden. With the stuff going on with respect to Hixon, Cruz and Nicks, Barden will surely slip through the cracks.

You mean like Aromashodu & Carlson?