PDA

View Full Version : Harvin still biggest question for Vikings

singersp
01-18-2013, 08:21 AM
Harvin still biggest question for Vikings

Faceoff: Harvin still biggest question for Vikings - PostBulletin.com: Local Sports (http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/localsports/faceoff-harvin-still-biggest-question-for-vikings/article_e78a6e48-022a-5600-951c-b009f84cd04f.html)

Purple Floyd
01-18-2013, 08:46 AM
I don't think he is. I think the QB is still the biggest question and the way they handle that situation is far more important than whether harvin ever takes a snap again.

mountainviking
01-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Saw something interesting on the nflshop online today...Percy Harvin jerseys on sale for like $20+ cheaper than any other current team members...?

kevoncox
01-23-2013, 01:57 PM
I don't think he is. I think the QB is still the biggest question and the way they handle that situation is far more important than whether harvin ever takes a snap again.

Agreed. I just don't know why we take a adequate is enough plan for the position. Its the most important position in the sport.

Marrdro
01-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Agreed. I just don't know why we take a adequate is enough plan for the position. Its the most important position in the sport.

Who's to say that their opinion is correct or incorrect when it comes to how this staff has handled the QB position?

We did win 10 games last year.

As I said in another thread, AD should get most of the credit, but hey, wasn't it our Head Coach, GM and Owner who all chimed in that what happened last year (predominantly be a running team) was what they planned?

If that is in fact the case, who is to say that we won't be a predominantly running team again next year and won't have the worries that come with that effort. You know, the ones were your QB ins't passing all the time and isn't taking alot of hits?

It would be an interesting study to see how many times he actually was hit when we were getting rid of the ball fast to Percy? Bet it wasn't very much and even though ole Singer is pissed those passes were so short, Percy sure was up there in league standings for yards....:)

My guess is, most of the beeeyyyyatching going on is from cats who still long for the 3 deep days that aren't ever going to come back as long as we run this scheme.

midgensa
01-23-2013, 04:22 PM
Saw something interesting on the nflshop online today...Percy Harvin jerseys on sale for like $20+ cheaper than any other current team members...?

That is because they are the old Reebok jerseys you are looking at. The new Nike ones are the same price as almost everyone else (though there are apparently sales on Ponder's for some reason.)

The current Nike Harvin's are about the same price as Peterson.

Harvin Minnesota Vikings Jersey - Nike Vikings Jerseys, New Vikings Nike Jersey for 2012 | NFLShop.com (http://www.nflshop.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2237504&lmdn=Player&f=PAD%2FNFL+Player%2FPercy+Harvin&fbc=1&fbn=NFL+Player|Percy+Harvin)

Peterson Minnesota Vikings Jersey - Nike Vikings Jerseys, New Vikings Nike Jersey for 2012 | NFLShop.com (http://www.nflshop.com/family/index.jsp?s=A-StorePrice-NFL&fbn=NFL+Player|Adrian+Peterson&fbc=1&categoryId=2237504&lmdn=Player&f=PAD%2FNFL+Player%2FAdrian+Peterson&pg=1)

Tad7
01-24-2013, 12:47 AM
I think the only question regarding Harvin is what we can get for him. He's gone.

C Mac D
01-24-2013, 01:41 AM
I think the only question regarding Harvin is what we can get for him. He's gone.

Whoever gets him wins the Super Bowl next year... mark my words. He's the best athlete in the NFL, our coaching staff is simply too inept to utilize him effectively.

We're still operating off the Childress/Spielman regime. They're just hoping Peterson has another 2,000 yard season to make them look smart.

Whether you think I'm right or wrong... I'm right.

singersp
01-24-2013, 07:00 AM
It would be an interesting study to see how many times he actually was hit when we were getting rid of the ball fast to Percy? Bet it wasn't very much and even though ole Singer is pissed those passes were so short, Percy sure was up there in league standings for yards....:)

He was up there in yards because he was thrown to the most times. He had 60 receptions in 8 games. If one was to project that it would have been 120 in 16 games. Only 1 receiver had more receptions than that & it was Calvin Johnson, who had 1,964 yards in 122 receptions.

More receptions = more yards. Pretty simple. If the passes weren't so short, he'd have averaged more yards per catch & been up there in yards with the likes of other WR's like Johnson, rather than posting averages closer to the top TE's. That's no fault of Percy's BTW.

My guess is, most of the beeeyyyyatching going on is from cats who still long for the 3 deep days that aren't ever going to come back as long as we run this scheme.

And your guess would be wrong again.

What most of us are looking for are the days were we go more than 0 deep & a WR that can catch, get vertical & get open deep.

With an offense that can't or doesn't pass more than 10 yards out & receivers like Jenkins & Aromashodu, you're looking at 10-11 defenders in the box on most plays.

Tad7
01-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Whoever gets him wins the Super Bowl next year... mark my words. He's the best athlete in the NFL, our coaching staff is simply too inept to utilize him effectively.

We're still operating off the Childress/Spielman regime. They're just hoping Peterson has another 2,000 yard season to make them look smart.

Whether you think I'm right or wrong... I'm right.
Wes Welker's receptions went from 67 to 112 from one season to the next going from Miami to New England. Imagine what Harvin would do there.

tarkenton10
01-24-2013, 10:02 AM
He was up there in yards because he was thrown to the most times. He had 60 receptions in 8 games. If one was to project that it would have been 120 in 16 games. Only 1 receiver had more receptions than that & it was Calvin Johnson, who had 1,964 yards in 122 receptions.

More receptions = more yards. Pretty simple. If the passes weren't so short, he'd have averaged more yards per catch & been up there in yards with the likes of other WR's like Johnson, rather than posting averages closer to the top TE's. That's no fault of Percy's BTW.

What most of us are looking for are the days were we go more than 0 deep & a WR that can catch, get vertical & get open deep.

With an offense that can't or doesn't pass more than 10 yards out & receivers like Jenkins & Aromashodu, you're looking at 10-11 defenders in the box on most plays.

Now that's funny, 11 guys in the box on most plays. So the WR isn't even covered because Ponder can't make it to him mus t be your logic then. 11 guys in the box, thank for that one. ROTL :gigity2small:

mountainviking
01-24-2013, 10:36 AM
That is because they are the old Reebok jerseys you are looking at. The new Nike ones are the same price as almost everyone else (though there are apparently sales on Ponder's for some reason.)

The current Nike Harvin's are about the same price as Peterson.

Harvin Minnesota Vikings Jersey - Nike Vikings Jerseys, New Vikings Nike Jersey for 2012 | NFLShop.com (http://www.nflshop.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2237504&lmdn=Player&f=PAD%2FNFL+Player%2FPercy+Harvin&fbc=1&fbn=NFL+Player|Percy+Harvin)

Peterson Minnesota Vikings Jersey - Nike Vikings Jerseys, New Vikings Nike Jersey for 2012 | NFLShop.com (http://www.nflshop.com/family/index.jsp?s=A-StorePrice-NFL&fbn=NFL+Player|Adrian+Peterson&fbc=1&categoryId=2237504&lmdn=Player&f=PAD%2FNFL+Player%2FAdrian+Peterson&pg=1)

Ahh, cool, thanks...I'd forgotten about that manufacturer change.

I think a trade is a definite possibility, I just hope they can get what he's worth, and that is a lot!! The guy plays three positions and plays them well (WR, RB, KR)...as of Nov. 1st, here's his

Current Ranks
■Leads the League with 1,274 combined yards (rush, rec. and KOR yds.)
■Tied for 1st in the NFL with 60 receptions.
■Currently 2nd in the NFC in receiving yards with 667 yards.
■He is 2nd in the NFL and 1st in the NFC in kickoff return average (35.7).

That is a whole lot of ass kicking that we would sorely miss if he were gone! We'll need at least 3 picks for him cuz it'll likely take 3 guys to provide what he does on a weekly basis. Can you imagine what he could do on a team like tha Patsies with a QB like Brady!??!??? D'oh!

Why Harvin is the best offensive player in the NFL (http://www.minnesotasnn.com/why-harvin-is-the-best-offensive-player-in-the-nfl/2237/)

Marrdro
01-24-2013, 11:42 AM

And how did that 10 and 11 defenders thing hurt this year?

AD had his worst games when Percy was on the field and try telling Brady and Welker that you can't put up big yards throwing to a small guy at the line of scrimmage or 5-10 yards beyond. They will call you silly and say you crack them up like I do.

Marrdro
01-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Wes Welker's receptions went from 67 to 112 from one season to the next going from Miami to New England. Imagine what Harvin would do there.

Same thing he was doing here with Ponder throwing to him, or did you miss that he and Welker were basically tied until he got hurt.

Tad7
01-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Same thing he was doing here with Ponder throwing to him, or did you miss that he and Welker were basically tied until he got hurt.
What? I didn't imply Harvin was ineffective here or anything but Harvin would absolutely be more dangerous with Brady than Ponder. That's all I was saying.

singersp
01-26-2013, 10:30 AM
[/B]

Now that's funny, 11 guys in the box on most plays. So the WR isn't even covered because Ponder can't make it to him mus t be your logic then. 11 guys in the box, thank for that one. ROTL :gigity2small:

The WR IS covered. Often times our WR's stay within the box on their pass routes if they're even sent out at all.

You can believe we send WR's deep on the majority of plays & pose a deep threat if you want to, but that's not the case.

Out of all of Ponder's completions last year only 16% of them were thrown farther than 10 yards. Less than 2% of them, 5 all year to be exact, were completed for on more than 20 yards throws.

How far & often do you think teams are keeping their defenders back to protect for that?

mountainviking
01-26-2013, 12:35 PM
The WR IS covered. Often times our WR's stay within the box on their pass routes if they're even sent out at all.

You can believe we send WR's deep on the majority of plays & pose a deep threat if you want to, but that's not the case.

Out of all of Ponder's completions last year only 16% of them were thrown farther than 10 yards. Less than 2% of them, 5 all year to be exact, were completed for on more than 20 yards throws.

How far & often do you think teams are keeping their defenders back to protect for that?

Chicken or the egg...True, but is that because we know we don't have a single WR who can beat man coverage, so why try!??? Or do we know that Ponder is so inaccurate downfield that we don't throw deep balls...? Or both. Just saying, might not be the scheme, but the lack of talent to call certain plays.

singersp
01-27-2013, 04:54 AM
Chicken or the egg...True, but is that because we know we don't have a single WR who can beat man coverage, so why try!??? Or do we know that Ponder is so inaccurate downfield that we don't throw deep balls...? Or both. Just saying, might not be the scheme, but the lack of talent to call certain plays.

Both play a part in it. Not only do we know it, but our opponents know it.

I don't believe it's the scheme in as much as it's Musgrave playing to Ponder's strengths, which is short 5 yard dumps. If Musgrave builds up his confidence there, perhaps he can & will start taking him further out, but if Spielman continues to sign receivers like Jenkins, Aromashodu, Simpson & Carlson Musgrave's hands are tied.

Marrdro
01-27-2013, 12:16 PM
What? I didn't imply Harvin was ineffective here or anything but Harvin would absolutely be more dangerous with Brady than Ponder. That's all I was saying.
Well of course he would. One has a bit more than one years experience, the other, well, could be argued is the best to have played the game at that position.

And I got your point my friend. I'm just saying that the young kid and Harvin were keeping pace with Welker and the HOF'r is all. Something to consider.

Marrdro
01-27-2013, 12:19 PM
Both play a part in it. Not only do we know it, but our opponents know it.

I don't believe it's the scheme in as much as it's Musgrave playing to Ponder's strengths, which is short 5 yard dumps. If Musgrave builds up his confidence there, perhaps he can & will start taking him further out, but if Spielman continues to sign receivers like Jenkins, Aromashodu, Simpson & Carlson Musgrave's hands are tied.
Its not the scheme? Do you believe Musgrove is a "Chuck it Deep" Coryell guy or a "Dink Dunk" Walsh guy.

To answer that question go back and look at the thread were I posted numbers of throws (Short vs Deep) when he was the O-coord instead of looking at what the Falcons did when he was the QB coach.

He threw it short for two reasons.....1. He is that kindof coach and 2. That was the only weapon they had.

Try to read into it what you will but that is the answer. Not that Ponder can't throw other passes. Absolutely crazy talk to keep believing that..

VKG4LFE
01-27-2013, 12:38 PM
We need to keep percy. Just the excitement alone every time to he touches the ball knowing he could take it to the house

thorshammer
01-27-2013, 02:59 PM
We need to keep percy. Just the excitement alone every time to he touches the ball knowing he could take it to the house
+1

midgensa
01-27-2013, 08:50 PM
Percy is not going anywhere. He is still under contract for this season and after that we will franchise him at least once before we let him get away.

We would be absolutely stupid to move him no matter what the offer. We simply are not going to get enough value for him no matter what.

He will be here ... and will likely get extended because that is the easiest way for him to get more money and get it now. Otherwise he is going to have to make sure to get through the next two seasons unhurt because we are going to keep him around that long at least I think.

VKG4LFE
01-27-2013, 11:02 PM
I hope you're right midgensa!

singersp
01-28-2013, 07:41 AM
Percy is not going anywhere. He is still under contract for this season and after that we will franchise him at least once before we let him get away.

Doesn't mean anything. Palmer was under a contract when he got his wish & was traded. We got Moss back when he wanted out of NE. Other players have done it as well. They simply demand a trade & state they won't play if they don't.

Purple Floyd
01-28-2013, 08:06 AM
I agree. I just don't see him playing next year without a bigger contract. With the huts he takes his career is probably not going to be really long either so I really don't blame him for wanting more money to play next year and think he does deserve more than what he is getting paid.

singersp
01-28-2013, 08:45 AM
I agree. I just don't see him playing next year without a bigger contract. With the huts he takes his career is probably not going to be really long either so I really don't blame him for wanting more money to play next year and think he does deserve more than what he is getting paid.

Huts?! He's going to QB now? :)

Not only the cuts but at the speed he makes them as well. I'm surprised he doesn't get hurt more.

I haven't heard anything about his foot in the past few years either. He had that hole thru his bone that many thought would cause it to break easily. Was that ever repaired and now a non-issue?

PackSux!
01-29-2013, 07:17 PM
Doesn't mean anything. Palmer was under a contract when he got his wish & was traded. We got Moss back when he wanted out of NE. Other players have done it as well. They simply demand a trade & state they won't play if they don't.

Really? When did Moss ever come out and say he wanted out of NE? I remember him wanting a contract extension and that is all. I also remember him praising the hell out of the Patriots and Kraft after we lost to the Patriots. Did you forget about that or are you making shit up to try to make a point?

Purple Floyd
01-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Huts?! He's going to QB now? :)

Not only the cuts but at the speed he makes them as well. I'm surprised he doesn't get hurt more.

I haven't heard anything about his foot in the past few years either. He had that hole thru his bone that many thought would cause it to break easily. Was that ever repaired and now a non-issue?

Damn I-phone lol.:flame:

singersp
01-30-2013, 07:09 AM
Really? When did Moss ever come out and say he wanted out of NE? I remember him wanting a contract extension and that is all. I also remember him praising the hell out of the Patriots and Kraft after we lost to the Patriots. Did you forget about that or are you making shit up to try to make a point?

Moss liked playing there & I remember what he did after we played them, but he still wanted out because he felt unwanted. Just because you forgot, doesn't mean someone else is making shit up.

the Boston Herald, citing an unnamed source, reported on Tuesday that Moss wanted out of New England after a Week 1 win on Sept. 12, telling his agent to ask the Patriots to trade him.

"When you have done so much and put so much work in, it kind of feels like I am not wanted," Moss said before the season began on Sept. 6.

New England Patriots trade WR Randy Moss to Minnesota Vikings - ESPN Boston (http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5653186)

Purple Floyd
01-30-2013, 08:00 AM
If I remember right it came down to money. He wanted more money in his contract and they were not going to give him what he wanted do they traded him for picks before he became a problem,

I think after they called him on it and traded him he realized what he lost and wished he had just taken what they were offering him to stay where he liked playing.

midgensa
01-30-2013, 02:53 PM

Those are good points, but they were with players who were MUCH older and could AFFORD to sit out. If we sit Percy down right now and tell him we are willing to eat it next year and the year after that with a franchise tag then he will have no choice but to play.

Now for it to be in good faith, we should certainly begin discussing longterm options for him to remain in purple. But it is simple. He CANNOT leave our team for the next two years without us letting him and he KNOWS this. That is why he wants a longterm deal or out ... we should work on the later.

He is going to make $1.55 million next season. If we are willing to franchise him in 2014, that will be a tag of about $10 million. So, sit him down and tell him. He can waste away and get $11.55 million over the next two years, or we can work a deal where we sign him for 7 years (he is only 24 afterall), $60 million, with something like $42 of that guaranteed. There is no logical reason for us to not pay him that, he will be well worth it. There would be no logical reason for he and his agent to say no to that, because it greatly increases his guaranteed money RIGHT now.

Plenty of players can sit and pout and get what they want, it definitely happens. And sure, if we got a dumb offer for him like the Patriots got from us and the Bengals certainly got from the Raiders, then we entertain it. But we simply are not going to get fair value for him. So, you pay him. It is the smart thing to do for this franchise.

singersp
01-31-2013, 06:55 AM
Those are good points, but they were with players who were MUCH older and could AFFORD to sit out. If we sit Percy down right now and tell him we are willing to eat it next year and the year after that with a franchise tag then he will have no choice but to play.

Now for it to be in good faith, we should certainly begin discussing longterm options for him to remain in purple. But it is simple. He CANNOT leave our team for the next two years without us letting him and he KNOWS this. That is why he wants a longterm deal or out ... we should work on the later.

He is going to make $1.55 million next season. If we are willing to franchise him in 2014, that will be a tag of about $10 million. So, sit him down and tell him. He can waste away and get $11.55 million over the next two years, or we can work a deal where we sign him for 7 years (he is only 24 afterall), $60 million, with something like $42 of that guaranteed. There is no logical reason for us to not pay him that, he will be well worth it. There would be no logical reason for he and his agent to say no to that, because it greatly increases his guaranteed money RIGHT now.

Plenty of players can sit and pout and get what they want, it definitely happens. And sure, if we got a dumb offer for him like the Patriots got from us and the Bengals certainly got from the Raiders, then we entertain it. But we simply are not going to get fair value for him. So, you pay him. It is the smart thing to do for this franchise.

They should have paid him last year & they damn well better pay him before FA hits or at least know with 100% confidence he will return.

Otherwise Ricky boy is going to get caught with his pants down if TC rolls around & he first finds out Harvin wants out or will sit.

mountainviking
01-31-2013, 12:14 PM

Good points to be sure! I like the way you think...Way to go Priceline Negotiator!! ;)

But $42 guaranteed is too much given the history of head (ache and/or case) and his style of play with its propensity for injury. But, I smell what you're stepping in, and signing bonus this year with a lower salary number and then guaranteeing the 2nd year as well sounds completely reasonable, and as you pointed out, puts way more money in his pocket now!

Wow. Just had a glimpse of what "off" season means for ole Ricky boy and his team of scouts etc...

1. breakdown the team player by player, nail down which FAs we need to keep and who might need to go now
2. scouting other teams FAs, that opens first week of March
3. scouting rookies, watching bowl games and star-games (like Senior Bowl), combine etc etc etc
4. DRAFT correctly!
5. Work the UDFAs to your advantage
6. Then, maybe, time opens up for considering resigning and/or restructuring our guys who are under contract, ie. Harvin. And Fraizier. Sorry Charlie, but they be busy right now!!

;)

PackSux!
01-31-2013, 06:44 PM
Moss liked playing there & I remember what he did after we played them, but he still wanted out because he felt unwanted. Just because you forgot, doesn't mean someone else is making shit up.

New England Patriots trade WR Randy Moss to Minnesota Vikings - ESPN Boston (http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5653186)

I love unnamed sources. They are great sources for the truth.

jargomcfargo
01-31-2013, 08:25 PM
They should have paid him last year & they damn well better pay him before FA hits or at least know with 100% confidence he will return.

Otherwise Ricky boy is going to get caught with his pants down if TC rolls around & he first finds out Harvin wants out or will sit.

Why should they have paid him last year?
They will try to pay him this year. I expect Harvin to drag his feet and miss most of training camp, but Harvin really has little leverage at this point.
Spielman doesn't have to trade him and fully realizes, what he could get in a trade, wouldn't possibly replace what he already has with Harvin.
I agree with Midge on this one. Harvin isn't going anywhere.

singersp
02-01-2013, 06:14 AM
I love unnamed sources. They are great sources for the truth.

Citing an anonymous source "with direct knowledge of the discussions between the two parties," ESPN reported Tuesday that quarterback Brett Favre is scheduled to meet with Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress later this week about a possible comeback.

Yeah, that never happened. *rolls eyes*

Citing an unnamed source close to Brett Favre, Fox is reporting that the Minnesota Vikings quarterback has admitted to leaving voicemails for a sideline reporter while he was at the New York Jets

Well that one never happened, oh wait!.....

Brett Favre admits leaving voicemails but denies sending naked pics
Brett Favre admits leaving voicemails for former Jets reporter Jenn Sterger, but denies sending racy pictures - NYPOST.com (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/favre_fesses_to_ringee_not_thingee_8IZ4PHLNPtiBFsseQfP3eO)

Ooops another one!

It seems like Randy Moss may not be completely retired. According to an anonymous source, Moss may return to the NFL if the right opportunity presented itself.

singersp
02-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Good points to be sure! I like the way you think...Way to go Priceline Negotiator!! ;)

It's nice in theory, but don't think it's going to work quite that way. There's no guarantee they'd franchise him in 2014 so he's guaranteed nothing other than next years money & I don't think he's as stupid as Culpepper to "Wait until the end of the year & we'll talk contract". Plus franchising Harvin hits him with that $10 million hit in the same year JA & Robison become FA's. A contract last year could have used some of last years cap surplus to ink a deal with a salary increase that was more spread out over the next several years.

But $42 guaranteed is too much given the history of head (ache and/or case) and his style of play with its propensity for injury.

The headaches are ancient history. Gone, done, resolved. Also, he missed little game time because of them. In total before last year, he missed 3 games in 3 years.

But, I smell what you're stepping in, and signing bonus this year with a lower salary number and then guaranteeing the 2nd year as well sounds completely reasonable, and as you pointed out, puts way more money in his pocket now!

His signing bonus is less than $200,000 in 2013 & his salary is $2.9 mil, not $1.55 mil. The same salary Carlson is making. Guaranteeing the 2nd year may sound completely reasonable to some, but the fact is it's not. Why? Because you can't guarantee a player he'll be tagged with a franchise tag in 2014 nor does claiming he will be franchised in 2014 put money in his pocket now.

The only thing that puts money in his pocket now is guaranteed money from his current contract.

Wow. Just had a glimpse of what "off" season means for ole Ricky boy and his team of scouts etc...

1. breakdown the team player by player, nail down which FAs we need to keep and who might need to go now
2. scouting other teams FAs, that opens first week of March
3. scouting rookies, watching bowl games and star-games (like Senior Bowl), combine etc etc etc
4. DRAFT correctly!
5. Work the UDFAs to your advantage
6. Then, maybe, time opens up for considering resigning and/or restructuring our guys who are under contract, ie. Harvin. And Fraizier. Sorry Charlie, but they be busy right now!!
;)

The biggest priority is keeping the guys you have. It would be foolish to not know or find out for certain that your star WR will play for you or not before FA starts. It's a little late in the game to start looking for a #1 WR after TC starts & you first discover the #1 WR you thought would play is a no-show at camp and is demanding a trade.

Top WR's don't grow on trees & certainly aren't available in FA in July. How many have we signed since 2005?

singersp
02-01-2013, 07:42 AM
Why should they have paid him last year?
They will try to pay him this year. I expect Harvin to drag his feet and miss most of training camp, but Harvin really has little leverage at this point.
Spielman doesn't have to trade him and fully realizes, what he could get in a trade, wouldn't possibly replace what he already has with Harvin.
I agree with Midge on this one. Harvin isn't going anywhere.

Because then they would have had it taken care of prior to this year & used 2012 salary cap surplus to do it instead of attempting to do it this year with limited cap room. It may be already to late to do something this year. He was disgruntled last year so there's a good chance he'll be disgruntled this year.

singersp
02-01-2013, 08:05 AM
Harvin hits escalator, nearly doubling scheduled salary

Vikings' Percy Harvin hits escalator, nearly doubling scheduled salary | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Vikings (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Vikings_Percy_Harvin_hits_escalator_nearly_doubling_base_salary013113)

Harvin privately has made clear since last summer he expects a new deal in the offseason.

Nah! They won't give him a new deal, they'll just guarantee him they'll tag him in 2014 & he'll get all kinds of money then. That will shut him up.

Besides Spielman already reworked a deal last year to lock Jenkins up thru 2013, has Carlson locked up for 4 more years and is probably too busy working on signing 2013 FA's Aromashodu for the 3rd time & Simpson for the 2nd time to worry about retaining Harvin now. (sarcasm off)

mountainviking
02-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Sorry Singer, But I think you missed the point...midg and I are saying resign him, there wouldn't be a signing bonus or any guaranteed money a year from now without a new deal, would there? I totally agree that he's worth more to us than what anybody will offer to trade for him, so our best bet is to sign him up long term. All we're saying is that the leverage is on the Vikings' side, and they just might need to present it that way to Harvin so he'll take a bit less than becoming the highest paid WR in league history.

And, I'm also saying, that as a business, you can't afford to guarantee any player's entire contract, because if he did suffer a career ending injury, you would be paying a guy who isn't playing and with the salary cap as is, you just can't afford to do that for more than a year or 2. That's why you only guarantee a year out on the contract...the signing bonus is already paid, so it's guaranteed by default, and that covers year one. And, that would put a HUGE chunk of money in Harvin's account immediately after he signed, and help out our cap by spreading out his pay a bit over the contract.