PDA

View Full Version : Kiper: Terrance Williams to the Vikings

singersp
01-17-2013, 07:14 AM
Kiper Projects WR Terrance Williams As Vikings 1st-Round Pick

Vikings Blog | Kiper Projects WR Terrance Williams As Vikings 1st-Round Pick (http://blog.vikings.com/2013/01/16/kiper-projects-wr-terrance-williams-as-vikings-1st-round-pick/)

tarkenton10
01-17-2013, 08:45 AM
Kiper Projects WR Terrance Williams As Vikings 1st-Round Pick

Vikings Blog | Kiper Projects WR Terrance Williams As Vikings 1st-Round Pick (http://blog.vikings.com/2013/01/16/kiper-projects-wr-terrance-williams-as-vikings-1st-round-pick/)

There are about five WRs who have a very similiar skill set so I don't think we should take a WR in the first round. I think one of them will fall into the second round and we can get one there.

12purplepride28
01-17-2013, 10:19 AM
There are about five WRs who have a very similiar skill set so I don't think we should take a WR in the first round. I think one of them will fall into the second round and we can get one there.

Even if there are 5 similar WRs, there is going to be one that we like more than the others and playing chicken with the other teams would be stupid. This is the most important position we are going to be drafting and I don't want to screw it up by hoping one falls to us. Hell, I would be fine taking a WR in the first two rounds if we don't get one in FA.

C Mac D
01-17-2013, 10:49 AM
I have a horrible fear that we draft Te'o first round... hope I'm wrong.

With our propensity to draft ND players, plus Te'o's (sp?) falling stock, I'm sure he'll still be available when we draft at #23.

Really... really... hope I'm wrong.

jargomcfargo
01-17-2013, 11:27 AM

With our propensity to draft ND players, plus Te'o's (sp?) falling stock, I'm sure he'll still be available when we draft at #23.

Add Tebow in free agency and the 'curse' would be to much to bear.

tarkenton10
01-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Even if there are 5 similar WRs, there is going to be one that we like more than the others and playing chicken with the other teams would be stupid. This is the most important position we are going to be drafting and I don't want to screw it up by hoping one falls to us. Hell, I would be fine taking a WR in the first two rounds if we don't get one in FA.

Williams is very similair to four others and each will have their own supporters as to why we need them. The top WR by some sites is Keenan Allen*, WR, California Height: 6-2. Weight: 215 Projected 40 Time: 4.49. Projected Round (2013): Top 25. . If you are looking for speed Tavon Austin is much faster than Williams, not as big though. Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
Height: 5-9. Weight: 176. Projected 40 Time: 4.39. Projected Round (2013): 1-2.
DeAndre Hopkins*, WR, Clemson Height: 6-1. Weight: 200. Projected 40 Time: 4.40. Projected Round (2014): 1-2.
, Justin Hunter**, WR, Tennessee Height: 6-4. Weight: 200. Projected 40 Time: 4.48. Projected Round (2013): 1-3. and Cordarrelle Patterson*, WR, Tennessee Height: 6-3. Weight: 200. Projected 40 Time: 4.40.
Projected Round (2013): 1-3 are all very similiar to him.

We could get any one of them in the second round. I am sure watching a lot of tape will separate one of them but who will it be. If it is someone like Patterson we may be able to wait until the second round. We may even trade up in the second round and get him.

Right now too many variables to say what to do, obviously if there is a run on WRs in the first round we may have to take one of them but if they start to fall then we may be able to wait.

singersp
01-18-2013, 08:07 AM

While my preference is WR, if Te'o fell to us, I wouldn't get pissed if they took him. I care about what he does on the field, not that he got duped by some girl & played along with it or along with ND, tried to cover it up.

It's not like this guy is constantly getting drunk, high, beating his GF, getting arrested or involved with killing someone.

The kid is what 21 or 22? Kids of that age do stupid shit.

mountainviking
01-19-2013, 03:57 PM

That's what I think. Our need is so bad at that position that we might have to take 2 in the first 2 or 3 rounds. We absolutely positively cannot go another season with the level of WR talent that we have now. As for LB, we can keep Brinkley and Henderson on relatively cheap deals and be just fine.

As for trading up...roughly speaking, our 2 4ths are worth about the same as the 23rd pick of the 3rd, which would give us nearly 2 in a row there. Or, our 3rd and 2nd together add up to about the 6th pick of the 2nd round, and there will be some talent available there. Maybe we could go DT in the first and then get the, third or fourth WR off the board early in the 2nd...?

C Mac I had that same premonition yesterday...but IF he does turn out to be the next Ray Lewis, I'm guessing we'd be pretty freaking stoked.

I like Terrance, he seems to adjust to the ball well, and catch the off/behind passes smoothly. He makes all the catches and looks pretty friggin fast when he gets that long leg stride going. Plus averaging 18.9 yards a catch over 97 catches says he's beating some fools deep on a pretty regular basis. Can you imagine what this team would look like if we had somebody besides Harvin and Peterson averaging over 100 yards and a TD per game!?!??

Terrance Williams vs Texas,OSU,Oklahoma,Missouri - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXcPv4qzwOA)

thorshammer
01-19-2013, 06:30 PM
He looks good ... wouldn't mind seeing him in purple...

jargomcfargo
01-19-2013, 08:28 PM
While my preference is WR, if Te'o fell to us, I wouldn't get pissed if they took him. I care about what he does on the field, not that he got duped by some girl & played along with it or along with ND, tried to cover it up.

It's not like this guy is constantly getting drunk, high, beating his GF, getting arrested or involved with killing someone.

Why hell yeah ! What's wrong with having an imaginary friend when you are young ?

He wasn't a victim, Dude has issues.

But with Spielman, who knows !

Can you name the top QB and WR Spielman has aquired during his career ?

vikinggreg
01-19-2013, 09:29 PM
Why hell yeah ! What's wrong with having an imaginary friend when you are young ?

Brett Favre, Randy Moss and Percy Harvin are the only ones that come to mind in the last 5 years :)

singersp
01-20-2013, 07:30 AM

LOL! So even though they already have the confession from the people that admitted scamming Te'o. you still believe he imagined it all & made it all up in his mind.

What do you think of a guy who says football is his GF?

marshallvike
01-20-2013, 10:38 AM

I feel the same way singer. WR is my primary concern with this draft, however if this caused Te'o to drop to us at 23, I would be ecstatic to pick him up.

And a lot of guys seem to forget the stupid things they did in their early 20's.

PackSux!
01-20-2013, 11:46 AM
I hope we can answer our wr problem during free agency so that we can draft a middle linebacker with our first pick. I would crap if Te'o was available at 23, but maybe he will fall sorta like Harvin did because of a stupid incident. Resign Harvin long term is also a priority this offseason.

Marrdro
01-24-2013, 12:50 PM

Problem is, the teams that pass on WR's in the first round, which allow one of the top 4 or 5 guys at the Z (which we so desperately need) will then gobble those guys up before they get to us in the second.

Smarter option is to take WR in the first (others took DE and DT's) and then take a second tier DT in the second. Should have some nice options at Warpig in the second and then value wise you can grab another WR in the 4th or even 5th and get a kid pretty much the same as the guys who would be there in the second.

Marrdro
01-24-2013, 12:57 PM
I hope we can answer our wr problem during free agency so that we can draft a middle linebacker with our first pick. I would crap if Te'o was available at 23, but maybe he will fall sorta like Harvin did because of a stupid incident. Resign Harvin long term is also a priority this offseason.
Only way we don't take WR in the first is if a kid like Te'o, Lotulelei, or Richardson fall to us. And even then do I wonder if they would pass on the LB for a WR.

Unlike all of you I don't think we have as big an issue at LB as we do at DT. Just like the CB play, you add a nice Warpig in the middle and your LB'rs can then play off the line more and not have to help in the area that should be taken care of by that warpig, which isn't getting taken care of by the way.

I think we address LB, but it will be a OLB and it will be in the 3rd with a cat like Chase Thomas to replace Henderson if Audie Cole can't do it. Even if Audie is to be the next guy, I still think the staff will go LB in the 3rd.

tarkenton10
01-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Problem is, the teams that pass on WR's in the first round, which allow one of the top 4 or 5 guys at the Z (which we so desperately need) will then gobble those guys up before they get to us in the second.

Smarter option is to take WR in the first (others took DE and DT's) and then take a second tier DT in the second. Should have some nice options at Warpig in the second and then value wise you can grab another WR in the 4th or even 5th and get a kid pretty much the same as the guys who would be there in the second.

I find ti hard to believe that all the good WRs will be gone by our 2nd pick and even if thta is the case then move up in the second round. I don't mind taking a WR in the first round but I want the BPA. If it is a WR fine but I don't like to reach (Ponder) because WRs in the first can be busts. Now you can say that about any player but I just feel the org. doesn't put a premium on WRs given the identity the team has established this year.

So my guess is the team willnot draft a WR unless they are in love with the guy and he is the PBA in Ricky's eyes.

VKG4LFE
01-24-2013, 10:05 PM

I am a HUGE Notre Dame fan and earlier in the season if you told me we were going draft Teo I woulda been pumped. BUT, after watching the national championship game where he was going against other NFL talent and speed he looked like a boy among men. He was not good at all. At this point I'm hoping we don't draft him if he's there at 23 or wherever the hell we draft.

kevoncox
01-24-2013, 10:11 PM
I am a HUGE Notre Dame fan and earlier in the season if you told me we were going draft Teo I woulda been pumped. BUT, after watching the national championship game where he was going against other NFL talent and speed he looked like a boy among men. He was not good at all. At this point I'm hoping we don't draft him if he's there at 23 or wherever the hell we draft.

1 game does not define a career.

VKG4LFE
01-24-2013, 10:21 PM
1 game does not define a career.

You are correct sir, but it was the only game in his career that he played against many future NFL guys and they made him a non factor. The game only gets bigger, faster, stronger in the NFL and if the national title game was a glimpse into that for him, his future is bleak. Don't get me wrong, I've loved the guy since the day he said I'm not going to USC I'm going to Notre Dame, but right now I'm bumming for the guy because I don't think his college game is going to translate well to the NFL.

Dibbzz
01-24-2013, 10:52 PM
I'm wondering why there isn't more love out there for Justin Hunter. He's 6' 4", 200 lbs who can stretch the field and go for the jump ball (and take some pressure off of Peterson). Granted he tore his ACL in 2011 but recovered and had a decent 2012 campaign. I think the bust potential is there injury wise but he could be that go-to receiver we've missed since losing Moss.

Link for the lazy: Justin Hunter Profile - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics (http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hunter_justin00.html)

VKG4LFE
01-24-2013, 11:01 PM
I'm wondering why there isn't more love out there for Justin Hunter. He's 6' 4", 200 lbs who can stretch the field and go for the jump ball (and take some pressure off of Peterson). Granted he tore his ACL in 2011 but recovered and had a decent 2012 campaign. I think the bust potential is there injury wise but he could be that go-to receiver we've missed since losing Moss.

Link for the lazy: Justin Hunter Profile - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics (http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hunter_justin00.html)

There's your answer for him not getting more love.

tarkenton10
01-25-2013, 09:28 AM

He has some love he is listed above Patterson on several sites. And he is projected as a late one early 2nd round pick, how is that not love?

Marrdro
02-06-2013, 01:47 PM
I find ti hard to believe that all the good WRs will be gone by our 2nd pick and even if thta is the case then move up in the second round. I don't mind taking a WR in the first round but I want the BPA. If it is a WR fine but I don't like to reach (Ponder) because WRs in the first can be busts. Now you can say that about any player but I just feel the org. doesn't put a premium on WRs given the identity the team has established this year.

So my guess is the team willnot draft a WR unless they are in love with the guy and he is the PBA in Ricky's eyes.

I agree with you 100% until the last sentence.

I know that Mock drafts are nothing more than a guess, but as I break down the team needs and look at that with the big board, alot of DL/OL will be coming off the board. Heck, with the changes that teams are going to be making (going from 3-4 to 4-3 or vice versa) alot of them will also come off in the second round.

My guess is that WR should be the BPA when it gets to us.

mountainviking
02-12-2013, 12:52 PM
NFL Mock Draft 2013 Picks 17-32 (http://www.drafttek.com/2013-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1b.asp)

NFL Mock Draft 2013 Picks 49-62 (http://www.drafttek.com/2013-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round2b.asp)

I LOVE THIS! A big, physical Corner who is probably a BPA pick in the first, and then getting who I think might be the cream of the crop at WR in the 2nd!!! I just don't believe that T.Will is going to fall that far, but maybe, he's not the fastest or biggest, he just caught the most balls for the most yards last year! ;)

1. Xavier Rhodes, CB, FSU
2. Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor
3. Sean Porter, OLB, Texas A&M
4. Robert Lester, SS, Alabama
4. Dallas Thomas, RT, Tennessee

After the 1-2 start, Sean Porter in the 3rd might be a steal as an all around threat of an OLB who can pass rush, seal the end and drop into coverage. Competition at Safety and RT also look good.

I know, I know, no DT here, but at the moment (but about to change with KW and JA's ages), I don't think DL is where we're hurting most...and today's pass first NFL is putting more and more pressure on the secondary to cover the ball without touching the WR, and that takes a ton of instinct and skill, which might be more rare and harder to find than a large, space eating, run clogging DT...

Some quotes about Williams' senior bowl work:

Sounds like Terrance Williams is doing same thing this week that he did his entire career at Baylor. Going to work, taking care of business.

Baylor WR Terrance Williams vs. Washington CB Desmond Trufant should be one of the best matchups Saturday. Williams just keeps making plays.

Sounds like a blue-collar, team-first type of fit to me.

Purple Floyd
02-13-2013, 04:53 PM
I know, I know, no DT here, but at the moment (but about to change with KW and JA's ages), I don't think DL is where we're hurting most...and today's pass first NFL is putting more and more pressure on the secondary to cover the ball without touching the WR, and that takes a ton of instinct and skill, which might be more rare and harder to find than a large, space eating, run clogging DT...

That type of common sense is considered blasphemy by many on this board.