PDA

View Full Version : texans post game thread

marshallvike
12-23-2012, 03:58 PM
I am stunned. I thought we had no chance to be here at the beginning of this season

marshallvike
12-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Great team effort today. D was fantastic. Ponder looked good. Texans devoted everything to stopping AD. The sustained drives kept Houston's offense from getting in a rhythm and kept our D from tiring out. I just can't believe it. We are one win from making the playoffs.

thorshammer
12-23-2012, 04:08 PM
What a great game. AD played well. D was awesome. Secondary played well. O line protected Ponder. Ponder had a nice game making good decisions for most of the game. Who thinks we have had a good season now. I for one do. Musgrave called a good game as did the D coordinator. Glad Wright was OK after that illegal helmet to helmet hit that wasn't called.

snowinapril
12-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Was ponder all that good, 50 percent completion? I did not see the game due to being on plane.

idahovikefan7
12-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Great win. Total team effort. Defense played amazing, completely shutting down one of the best offenses in the NFL. Totally loving the draft picks.

Playoffs of not, I'm happy with this season. They have completely outdone my expectations, and I'm sure many others. I didn't see more than a 5 win season coming.

I see a bright future for this team.

marshallvike
12-23-2012, 04:17 PM
I forgot to mention Walsh. That pick looks better and better every week.

Reignman
12-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Strange season, we lose when AD goes over 200 and we blowout a superbowl favorite on the road when AD gets shutdown. These last 2 road wins vs good teams makes our prospects of going on a road run in the playoffs look that much more promising. Gotta shutdown Rodgers and beat the cheese next week or it's all meaningless.

Reignman
12-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Was ponder all that good, 50 percent completion? I did not see the game due to being on plane.He had a great 1st half (by Ponder standards), but was back to his old self in the 2nd half. Don't know what happened.

Randy Moss
12-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Amazing game. Going in I thought the Texans were a terrible matchup for us, so to completely dominate them at ever facet of the game was a wonderful surprise.

Random thoughts:
Ponder was excellent. He extended drives and made some plays. Exactly what we need him to do.

Our offensive line wasn't great, but the Texas have a dominant defense.

JJ Watt might be the best defensive player I've ever seen, at any position. What he's done this season is unreal.

Jerome Simpson dropped another first down, but that catch toward the end made up for it. Great throw, great catch. How often have we been able to say that this season?

Brian Robison may have just lost his job. Everson Griffen was great, and not just against the pass.

Blair Walsh is awesome. That field goal might have made it from 70.

marshallvike
12-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Was ponder all that good, 50 percent completion? I did not see the game due to being on plane.

Ponder did look good. There were a number of times he was under pressure and had to throw it away. I thought his decision making was on today. There were also the weekly drops by receivers, not a ton, but still some drops. I only remember one foolish throw that probably should have been picked off. He also had a couple of key runs. That is a part of his game I think we should be taking advantage of more than we do.

Purple Floyd
12-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Well, when the team underperforms I call them on it and in a game like this when they do what many thought improbable I give them their just rewards. They played on of the most complete games they have played in years. Ponder looked much better, the secondary looked much better(with the return of Cook?) and the play calls on both sides of the ball were very good. They kept Foster to what, under 20 rushing yards? And several sacks on Schaub. Great job and great effort.

marshallvike
12-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Well, when the team underperforms I call them on it and in a game like this when they do what many thought improbable I give them their just rewards. They played on of the most complete games they have played in years. Ponder looked much better, the secondary looked much better(with the return of Cook?) and the play calls on both sides of the ball were very good. They kept Foster to what, under 20 rushing yards? And several sacks on Schaub. Great job and great effort.

Or at least since the San Fran game earlier this year.:D

EricTheViking
12-23-2012, 04:30 PM
I agree this has been a strange season. And I agree that almost no one here would have predicted we'd win 9 games, and hopefully 10, this season. So its been a roller coaster of a year but its been pretty fun for me.
Five games ago I was hoping to split games with the Packers and Bears, a win over the Rams, and an unlikely victory over the Texans. Back then I thought this was a highly optimistic view of the remainder of the season yet, now, here we are. Maybe now that Ponder is married he can focus exclusively on his game from here on out.

snowinapril
12-23-2012, 04:32 PM
ROY = Walsh

probably not with rg3 and Luck.

jargomcfargo
12-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Games like this give me a lot of hope for the future no matter how this year ends up.
Never expected the Vikings to be relevant the final game of the season.
Think Rodgers will play next week? If so, he's likely to take a pounding.

Purple Floyd
12-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Or at least since the San Fran game earlier this year.:D

This one was more completer.:p

NodakPaul
12-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Great game all around. Defense was amazing. Ponder was good. Again not great but we didn't need him to be. We just needed him to be mistake free, and IMHO he was. AD was held under 100, and I was disappointed by the decision to see him on the sidelines late in the game. I understand though. They are playing for playoffs, not records.

Speaking of records, I love that Walsh kid.

And playoffs? PLAYOFFS? I am in shock that we are the 6 seed right now. If the playoffs started today we would be playing at Green Bay in the Wild Card game.

ConnecticutViking
12-23-2012, 05:36 PM
DEFENSE! They came to play, put pressure on Shaub, secondary supported the run, but most importantly had great coverage all day. AD had a great game...I think we are all spoiled with his 100 plus and TD's, but 25 carries and 85 yards allowed us to control the clock, get first downs and keep our D off the field.

Caine
12-23-2012, 05:44 PM
This is how Ponder should have looked @ week 4 of this season. Much more poise, much more control, and far more effective.

I'm glad he finally got here...now I hope he can STAY here and build off of this.

Caine

MaxVike
12-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Gotta give credit to, sorry y'all, the coaching staff. They put a lot of guys in position to make plays today. Gotta give the players a lot of credit for execution.

Walsh, is money...damn that kid can kick.

The defense seems to be more dynamic with Griffen on the field. Certainly helped to get Cook back. The DLine played great. Harrison Smith can just flat out play ball. I actually think i saw AJ Jefferson make a couple of plays...

Ponder looked real good in the first half. AD was bottled up by a very good defense. Jarius Wright looks like a developing playmaker.

Great Team win!

NodakPaul
12-23-2012, 05:51 PM
This is how Ponder should have looked @ week 4 of this season. Much more poise, much more control, and far more effective.

I'm glad he finally got here...now I hope he can STAY here and build off of this.

Caine

I hope so too, but even with this very good game by Ponder, I don't think he has done enough to secure the job for next year. I don't feel like he led the team to a win today. I admit that I have been wondering out loud what the score would have been if we had an elite QB on the field.

He can prove me wrong still. I would like nothing more than to see Ponder put in brilliant performances next week and in the playoffs.

NodakPaul
12-23-2012, 05:53 PM
Gotta give credit to, sorry y'all, the coaching staff. They put a lot of guys in position to make plays today. Gotta give the players a lot of credit for execution.

Walsh, is money...damn that kid can kick.

The defense seems to be more dynamic with Griffen on the field. Certainly helped to get Cook back. The DLine played great. Harrison Smith can just flat out play ball. I actually think i saw AJ Jefferson make a couple of plays...

Ponder looked real good in the first half. AD was bottled up by a very good defense. Jarius Wright looks like a developing playmaker.

Great Team win!

Don't apologize for giving credit t the coaching staff. This is the third straight game that I think they have put together a great game plan.

Reignman
12-23-2012, 05:54 PM
They played on of the most complete games they have played in years.I agree it was one of the more complete ROAD games they've played in awhile, and against one of the top teams in the league no less. I was even waiting for our typical prevent defense meltdown that usually makes these type of games end up being closer than they should, but it never came. We even got to see Yates come in and give us his best Sage Rosenfels impersonation xD.

Five games ago I was hoping to split games with the Packers and Bears, a win over the Rams, and an unlikely victory over the Texans. Back then I thought this was a highly optimistic view of the remainder of the season yet, now, here we are.We shall now refer to you as EricThePrognosticator xD.

Reignman
12-23-2012, 06:05 PM
I was disappointed by the decision to see him on the sidelines late in the game. I understand though. They are playing for playoffs, not records.Yeah that was hard to see. I don't want to see him fall short and we have to look back these wasted opportunities and ask what if. I understand the injury risk too, but having a realistic shot at one of the games more important records doesn't come around very often.

I actually think i saw AJ Jefferson make a couple of plays... Yeah he came up with a fumble recovery haha.

keystonevike
12-23-2012, 06:50 PM
All that's standing between us and the playoffs is GB. We shoulda won the first game, and IMHO we are playing our best football right now.

NordicNed
12-23-2012, 08:12 PM
To many game balls to hand out for me...Great team effort. Walsh, great to see the rookie having such a great year, Rookie of the Year???? I say so, not to mention he only set an NFL Record and hasn't missed a 50 plus yarder yet....
I'de just like to mention, LOADHOLT!!!!!!! No flags today, thats sweet..Also, I watched him closely when Watt's lined up against him, Load dominated him!!!!!!!! Not taking away from Watts great talent and what he's done this year for his team, but he got owned by Load!!!!!! Watt's only had some nice plays when he lined up against our guards, and yes, the Texans Coaches moved Watt's away from Load. Watt's was to quick and powerfull for our guards, but couldn't handle Loadholt.... For me that was really nice to see....overall, great game by all our team and now to kick some GB ass....

marshallvike
12-23-2012, 08:28 PM
All that's standing between us and the playoffs is GB. We shoulda won the first game, and IMHO we are playing our best football right now.

Why do I get the feeling I am being set up for a huge letdown?

NordicNed
12-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Why do I get the feeling I am being set up for a huge letdown? Because we all bleed purple..LOL We've had so many in the past, we tend to expect it. But as always, I beleive we kick the shit out of GB next week, and move on into the playoffs.....Where we march on to the Super Bowl!!!!!! What else am I supposed to believe?....hahahhaha

marshallvike
12-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Because we all bleed purple..LOL We've had so many in the past, we tend to expect it. But as always, I beleive we kick the shit out of GB next week, and move on into the playoffs.....Where we march on to the Super Bowl!!!!!! What else am I supposed to believe?....hahahhaha

We are the Cub fans of football

Reignman
12-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Barring a total meltdown by the Seahawks tonight, the Packers clinch the #2 seed and a first round bye if they beat us next week, so we'll be getting their A game. When you think about it, we've been playing playoff games the past 3 weeks so I think it's going to be a good game with a lot to play for next week.

A loss will be disappointing and fit right in with the history of this franchise, but a win and we'll be on a roll heading into the playoffs.

jargomcfargo
12-23-2012, 11:53 PM
It will be a little more difficult than last time with Mathews back, but Minnesota has to win. And they will at home. Minnesota is a good team.
The talking heads want to say the 49ers and Texans were flat, but we know better.
This team can put it on the Packers next week; and if they see them in the playoffs.
I predict a win next week.

thorshammer
12-23-2012, 11:54 PM
If AD runs like in the first game I think we will beat the Peckers this time ... We are playing better football and we're at home ...

singersp
12-24-2012, 05:13 AM
Good game all around, especially on defense. Ponder played good today but not great like some fans are claiming. Just over 50% completion is not great or good. We left too many drives on the field without putting TD's on the board & I felt for most of the game that we'd allow the Texans to catch up & take the lead, but our defense held up & didn't disappoint.

Despite some poor throws & the 53% pass completion, Ponder did however make some key passes & two really nice runs on critical plays that did play a big role in sustaining drives which ended up leading to scores. No interceptions by him today but that fumble was brutal. At least it didn't lead to any Texans points.

singersp
12-24-2012, 05:24 AM
Brian Robison may have just lost his job. Everson Griffen was great, and not just against the pass.

Griffen had only 1 tackle all game. Did he play LDE the whole game?

Fred Evans is the one I thought that played better than usual. 3 tackles & a sack which was the most by any of the DL men.

NordicNed
12-24-2012, 08:06 AM
Griffen had only 1 tackle all game. Did he play RDE the whole game?

Fred Evans is the one I thought that played better than usual. 3 tackles & a sack which was the most by any of the DL men.

Griffen may have had only one solo tackle, but he also had a fumble recovery, and one knocked down pass, not to mention, Foster ran to his side ( left defensive end / not right ) on a number of plays and Griffen strung those runs towards the sidelines with his play. i thought he had a very solid game.

singersp
12-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Griffen may have had only one solo tackle, but he also had a fumble recovery, and one knocked down pass, not to mention, Foster ran to his side ( left defensive end / not right ) on a number of plays and Griffen strung those runs towards the sidelines with his play. i thought he had a very solid game.

Was Evans spelling K-Will, Guion or Griffen?

Randy Moss
12-24-2012, 09:00 AM

There were a few run plays that he blew up, which impressed me because I thought he was more of a pure pass rusher. He also pressured Shaub a lot. There were several pass plays where he just overpowered the tackle straight into the qb. Watch the sack on the biggest play of the game, that goal line stand. He knocks the tackle back five yards into Shaub, so Shaub has to run backward and Evans comes around the edge to clean up. He doesn't get any stats for that, but that would not have been a sack if it weren't for him.

iowa
12-24-2012, 09:35 AM
really a nice win, ponder played "game manager" to a tee, contributions from all.and how about Rick's Picks, looks to be the best draft class in the NFL, just listening to national talk radio, they are gushing about the genius that is Rick!

kevoncox
12-24-2012, 10:45 AM
really a nice win, ponder played "game manager" to a tee, contributions from all.and how about Rick's Picks, looks to be the best draft class in the NFL, just listening to national talk radio, they are gushing about the genius that is Rick!

Meh... still gotta go with the bengals draft class. The fact that their starting MLB was undrafted and is balling outta control seals it....what's his name again.... oh yeah Burfict!

jargomcfargo
12-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Good game all around, especially on defense. Ponder played good today but not great like some fans are claiming. Just over 50% completion is not great or good. We left too many drives on the field without putting TD's on the board & I felt for most of the game that we'd allow the Texans to catch up & take the lead, but our defense held up & didn't disappoint.

Despite some poor throws & the 53% pass completion, Ponder did however make some key passes & two really nice runs on critical plays that did play a big role in sustaining drives which ended up leading to scores. No interceptions by him today but that fumble was brutal. At least it didn't lead to any Texans points.
9 of 13 passing completions on third down with two running third down conversions was definately an upgrade over his usual play. He made a couple of bonehead decisions that he got away with also.
Over all, he has seemed a little more calm the last two games and has played a little better.

vikesrgreat2
12-24-2012, 12:11 PM
No matter what happens from here on out, the Vikings (in my opinion) have had a highly successful season. Nine victories, including back-to-back road victories at St. Louis and at Houston, and the Vikings actually control their own destiny with 1 more regular season game to play! Best of all, I'm not dreaming!

Other comments:

1. Fine game by AD, especially against the NFL's fifth-ranked rush defense. AD will have a shot at history next week against a team that can be run on!

2. In Walsh, we have a trememndous kicker with great long-range ability. His 56-yard FG easily made it! Might he make the Pro Bowl?

3. Nice well-managed game by Ponder. His stats came back to earth in the second half, but an 82 QB rating against the Texans is a fine performance in my opinion.

4. Defense seems to be peaking at the right time. Last 3 weeks: 6 takeaways, 10 sacks. Texans were held to under 200 total yards and 2 FG's. Elite job by our young defense.

5. Harrison Smith is a great addition to the defense. I'm glad he's on our team!

6. Vikings need to play loose to beat the Packers on Sunday. Would like to see AD break some long runs!

iowa
12-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Meh... still gotta go with the bengals draft class. The fact that their starting MLB was undrafted and is balling outta control seals it....what's his name again.... oh yeah Burfict!

that's laughable coming from the guy that wanted the great rueben randle instead of harrison smith, i'll grant you the burfict pick by the bengals for now but that guy has a history of attitude problems, something we didn't need.all in all nobody had a better draft than ricky boy.

digital420
12-24-2012, 12:38 PM
it was one of the best games to watch with dad.

going into it we had a standing stat line that the vikings needed to win.

1. win the turnover battle (check)
2. keep mat out of sync with his wr's.. (check)
3. shut down the run (check)
4. dominate the line of scrimmage (both sides) (CHECK)

there are some players in the NFL that you will never stop, but only slow down. Watt is one of them, and we held him in reasonable check all game. The Texans are known for their D, their turnover ratio, and their consistant play on O. we dominated all 3!!

3rd downs.. was a major factor in this game. and man o man wad dad laughing at some of our conversions.. and even more so when we forced the punt.. but none more then the goal line stand.. that was the game changer. with the score it was a very close game, with the fg.. it was still a multi score game..

our D line played on their side of the ball 90% of the game. we held a dynamic offense to next to nothing. and one of the elite rb's to 12 yards.. 12!!!!!!

the O produced when it had to. that's not going to get us a SB ring.. but it will get us into the dance card!!

walsh.. been trying to think of a nickname for him.. something worthy!!

all is all this game shows one basic point.. this team has rebuilt, has grown, and is on the doorstep of being a yearly contender for the long haul. a few pieces added to the puzzle and BAM NFC North.. the Vikings have returned!!!

DiGiTaL

rednorsk
12-24-2012, 01:02 PM
This was the most complete game the Vikings have played in a long time. Evryone stepped up and contributed.

mountainviking
12-24-2012, 01:18 PM
WOW. I still can't believe how good the Vikings looked yesterday! ON THE ROAD!!! Since when, do the Vikings go on the road and dominate!??!??? 2 weeks in a row!!?

Wow!

Seriously, the talk of the Vikings not having an identity is silly...seems pretty obvious to me, we are an old-school, smash-mouth, TEAM First football team, and I love it!!

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!

vikinggreg
12-24-2012, 02:04 PM
WOW. I still can't believe how good the Vikings looked yesterday! ON THE ROAD!!! Since when, do the Vikings go on the road and dominate!??!??? 2 weeks in a row!!?

Wow!

Seriously, the talk of the Vikings not having an identity is silly...seems pretty obvious to me, we are an old-school, smash-mouth, TEAM First football team, and I love it!!

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!

Yeah I'm pretty surprised how well everything turned out.....its almost like I'm in shock when they lost to the Buc's at home but with a much warmer fuzzy feeling and no urge to kick the neighbour's cat, a great way to go into the holiday season.

Merry Christmas Vikings

Suick
12-24-2012, 02:52 PM
I can't get over how much one player (Harrison Smith) has turned around the defense.

We are a good corner and a stud LB away from an epic defense

singersp
12-24-2012, 08:36 PM
9 of 13 passing completions on third down with two running third down conversions was definately an upgrade over his usual play. He made a couple of bonehead decisions that he got away with also.
Over all, he has seemed a little more calm the last two games and has played a little better.

It was nice to see 5 of those 9 passes go for first down conversions, especially the longer completions. He could have had more, but despite completing the pass, they were still short of the first down. A penalty on one of those did give us a 1st down however, which resulted in a Gerhart TD on the next play.

I still can't understand why when we need several yards for a 1st down they call a play where the pass is short of that mark by a few yards & hope the receiver gets the rest, rather than have the receiver just beyond the marker when throwing to him.

Purple Floyd
12-24-2012, 09:05 PM
It was nice to see 5 of those 9 passes go for first down conversions, especially the longer completions. He could have had more, but despite completing the pass, they were still short of the first down. A penalty on one of those did give us a 1st down however, which resulted in a Gerhart TD on the next play.

I still can't understand why when we need several yards for a 1st down they call a play where the pass is short of that mark by a few yards & hope the receiver gets the rest, rather than have the receiver just beyond the marker when throwing to him.

Well, I just have one question on that one myself.Has anyone watched the Sehawks with Bevell calling the plays this year?

When Bevell and Childress were here we constantly harped on the 3 yard passes on third and 5 and we are still having those complaints while when I watched the Seahawks the last several weeks they were going way beyond the yard markers on their plays and were aggressive down the field all game long.

The QB position has been limiting the whole offense since Culpepper went down (except the first ear with Brett) and it should be obvious that Ponder either needs to become a gu who looks down the field and hits the WR's or we need to get rid of him ASAP and get one that does.

singersp
12-26-2012, 10:45 PM
Jerome Simpson dropped another first down, but that catch toward the end made up for it. Great throw, great catch. How often have we been able to say that this season?

Well, you can't say it now either. That great throw you speak of wasn't. In fact Ponder was trying to throw that 3rd down ball away but got hit when he threw it.

Quarterback Christian Ponder was trying to throw the ball away when he felt pressure on third and 3, but his arm got hit and the ball fluttered on him.

"I want to lie to you and say I meant to make that throw," Ponder said of the 17-yard completion early in the fourth quarter of the Vikings' 23-6 victory over the Houston Texans. "We were very fortunate. Huge catch by him.

Randy Moss
12-26-2012, 11:42 PM
For those doubting Griffen's awesomeness last in this game, PFF backs me up and has him tied with Peppers for the top DE this week: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/25/pff-team-of-week-16/
5 hurries, 2 hits among other things.

Smith and Sully are on there as well.

NordicNed
12-27-2012, 08:54 AM
For those doubting Griffen's awesomeness last in this game, PFF backs me up and has him tied with Peppers for the top DE this week: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/25/pff-team-of-week-16/
5 hurries, 2 hits among other things.

Smith and Sully are on there as well. As i mentioned before, Griffen had a not a very good game, but a great game! i watched the game again last night, i centered alot of my attention on line play, both o and d, Griffen played like a beast!!!!!! he was much much more of an impact on the D line than his stats showed, and his tackle stat is WRong!!!! i counted 3 tackles by him. Fact is, he has impressed me much more than Robison ever has, if i was the coach, ide have to seriously think about making him the starter over Robison at this point...

purplehelmut
12-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Super job all around. We finally win an important game we're not supposed to and on the road on grass. I think it's funny when people say Peterson was stopped and he still had 86 yards. That's like holding Jordan to 25- still a pretty good game by most standards. Houston has a stout defense but the running game was still effective. To be playing the final game for a playoff spot against the Packers in Minneapolis- could we ask for anything more? Well, maybe a win too.