PDA

View Full Version : Did JA throw a cheap shot?

Purple Floyd
11-26-2012, 10:57 AM
I missed the game but read that on Winfields INT that JA laid a huge cheap shot on a Bears OL that knocked him out of the game? Did anyone see that? If it is true then I lost a lot of respect for him. He failed to even lay a hand on Cutler after the bears LT gave up 5.5 last week and then he does that sort of thing? That is something a Lion would do.

Reignman
11-26-2012, 11:38 AM
I would say it was a cheap shot in that he launched himself and put more force into the block than he needed to. Mostly I think it was due to frustration. Frustrated that the Vikings were getting killed at the time and frustrated that he himself wasn't even getting a sniff of Cutler the entire game. If it had been against the Saints I wouldn't have considered it a cheap shot.

EricTheViking
11-26-2012, 01:09 PM
It was a cheap shot but I haven't lost respect for him. As Reign said above I think he lost his head in a moment of frustration. That's not an excuse but I think he made a serious mistake in a moment of passion. Its not like he's a dirty player like Suh.
Speaking of Suh I saw him interviewed, by the NFL gang on ESPN, early in the season. They were very hard on him, as well they should have been, but he was humble, soft spoken, and seemed extremely apologetic about what he had done. He claimed it wouldn't happen again. I took him at his word as I'm always willing to give someone a second chance. But, after what he did on Thanksgiving (and I believe that was an intentional kick), I have lost any respect at all for him. He's just dirty.

EricTheViking
11-26-2012, 02:32 PM
The guy he nailed was guard Lance Lewis. Apparently the he sustained a knee injury and will be out for the season. Here's more info with video of the hit:

Lovie Smith unhappy with Jared Allen block on lineman - NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000101434/article/lovie-smith-unhappy-with-jared-allen-block-on-lineman)

vikesrgreat2
11-26-2012, 02:43 PM
I think that, if JA had not left his feet while in the process of hitting him, it would have been a clean, "slobberknocker" block. The fact that he left his feet and launched into Louis makes the hit illegal in my opinion. I sense that JA did not want to injure Louis, but at real game speed, things happen so quickly that things can go wrong.

Seems like a fine could be in order here for JA.

vikesrgreat2
11-26-2012, 02:44 PM
I have forgiven JA for the hit, and have not lost any respect for him. He's one of my favorite players on the team!

Ranger
11-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Love Jared Allen. Great player, funny guy, and he's done a ton for vets. I'll probably always have a man crush on him.

That being said, that hit was cheap and dirty.

Chazz
11-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Maybe we should just put flags on them to get rid of all this unnecessary hitting.

Caine
11-26-2012, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't call it "cheap". It was a hit that is NOW considered illegal, but one which a few years ago would have been on a "greatest hits" reel.

Caine

Purple Floyd
11-26-2012, 05:06 PM
The guy he nailed was guard Lance Lewis. Apparently the he sustained a knee injury and will be out for the season. Here's more info with video of the hit:

Lovie Smith unhappy with Jared Allen block on lineman - NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000101434/article/lovie-smith-unhappy-with-jared-allen-block-on-lineman)

Thanks for the link.

Without seeing the video I was under the impression he took out his knee with a block from behind. After seeing it my feeling is that JA was actually in front of him and gave the guy plenty of ability to see him and prepare for the hit so from that aspect I don't think it was dirty but OTOH he did really target the head/neck area and that is a big no-no so he probably gets a call from the league on it.

I do feel better about it after seeing the video but I am not hppy he went up towards the head with that shot.

iowa
11-26-2012, 05:09 PM
It wasn't that bad, happens every game.The fact that it ended the guys season makes it seem worse than it was.I thought the hit Rudolph took that knocked him out of the game was similar.

Purple Floyd
11-26-2012, 05:13 PM
I watched the video several times and the injury was not the result if the block. There was no stress on the knee at all when the hit was delivered but if you look at the time about 1/2 second before the hit when the guy put on the breaks and tried to stop it looks like the knee might have gone out on him right there. Certainly was not the result of the hit or anything after the hit that I could see.

gamecocksbaseball31
11-26-2012, 06:02 PM
You are all falling into the trap that is the No Fun League. He made a block to keep Winfield from being tackled. Was it a hard hit? Yeah, it was. Was it a blind-side, away from the ball play? No. Let them play.

keystonevike
11-26-2012, 06:28 PM
I watched the video several times and the injury was not the result if the block. There was no stress on the knee at all when the hit was delivered but if you look at the time about 1/2 second before the hit when the guy put on the breaks and tried to stop it looks like the knee might have gone out on him right there. Certainly was not the result of the hit or anything after the hit that I could see.

Exactly.

lakehubertviking
11-26-2012, 09:37 PM
I think it was clearly illegal and will get him a fine but I don't think it was dirty or cheap. Defensive guys get amped up to throw a big hit and probably don't spend much practice time going over proper, or legal, technique.

Ironically (I'm sure that's not using the word right but, whatever) I was just doing some bathroom reading of ESPN the mag on cut blocking and how it dangerous it is for defensive players while offensive players are protected by multiple rules. JA was quoted as saying his knees are just as valuable as Tom Brady's.

EricTheViking
11-26-2012, 10:48 PM

Thanks for pointing that out. When I watched the replay of that hit, in the article I linked, I remember scratching my head and thinking "How the hell did he get a hurt knee out of that???" But then I didn't give it much further thought.

singersp
11-27-2012, 05:12 AM
http://www.purplepride.org/f2/ja-injures-lance-louis-1110900/

purplehelmut
11-27-2012, 08:59 AM
Great legal block if he'd kept his feet on the ground. The way he launched himself makes it an illegal hit, but not cheap. The block was made in the flow of the play, not away from the play where the guy getting hit has no chance to be a factor. Hate the guy got hurt but that's football. He may have gotten hurt even if JA had made a so-called legal block.

rednorsk
11-27-2012, 10:55 AM
I didn't see it as clearly as I do in the video, but how can that be called a blind side hit? Of course the other guy may be totally blind and can't see a hit from the front.

MaxVike
11-27-2012, 12:55 PM
By today's rules, it was illegal...shouldn't have launched into the guy. Love JA but, just sayin'

NodakPaul
11-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Illegal hit. Not Cheap. Difference.

marshallvike
11-27-2012, 02:01 PM
It didn't look like a cheap shot at all. They were near the play and Jared was in front of him. It was NOT a blindside hit. Lance may not have been looking at him, but the front of your body has never, as far as I know, been considered your blind side. Leaving his feet will get him a fine. Lovie must not have seen it on film before he made the comments I heard on ESPN radio