PDA

View Full Version : Percy Harvin is so good!

Rambro987
10-17-2012, 02:53 PM
I'm the type of person who likes to reminisce about old **** and never let it go, and I got to thinkin'...why the FLOOP did we never use Percy like we do now when we had Brett Favre?
And I'm also sitting here right now watching the NFL Replay of the Patriots @ Seahawks game this past week, and just seeing Sid make those catches, man does he just catch everything near his hands, goodness I miss him...oh well.

PurplePowerPunch
10-17-2012, 03:34 PM
Rice just couldn't stay healthy in Minny. Awesome talent, but injury-prone.

midgensa
10-17-2012, 04:41 PM
Well ... Percy was a rookie and had to get used to the game. He still had 6 TD catches and nearly 950 total yards while winning rookie of the year and going to the Pro Bowl as a kick returner. Don't know what you expected out of a rook.

Sidney Rice has great hands ... but is not productive or worth real money. he has now played 15 games in Seattle and has a whopping 760 yards and 4 TDs. Hardly true "No. 1" numbers.

Purple Floyd
10-17-2012, 05:35 PM
One way or the other if we really have 2 talents as good as Adrian and Percy are then they should be dominating defenses and scoring points when we get in the red zone.

snowinapril
10-18-2012, 01:02 AM
One way or the other if we really have 2 talents as good as Adrian and Percy are then they should be dominating defenses and scoring points when we get in the red zone.

I am happy how we have used pH so far and unhappy with the way AP has been used.

jmcdon00
10-18-2012, 01:37 AM
He's on pace for 130 receptions, that would be 2nd all time behind only Marvin Harrison in 2002 who had 143. Harvin is also on pace for 40 carries and 32 kick returns(Harrison had 2 carries, 0 kick returns).

singersp
10-18-2012, 05:18 AM
He's on pace for 130 receptions, that would be 2nd all time behind only Marvin Harrison in 2002 who had 143. Harvin is also on pace for 40 carries and 32 kick returns(Harrison had 2 carries, 0 kick returns).

and....

AD is on pace to score 5 TD's
Walsh is on pace to attempt 45FG's
Carlson is on pace to catch 8 passes
Simpson is on pace to score 0 TD's
Vikings are on pace to win 10 games
JA is on pace to get 11 sacks
Ponder is on pace to have 19 interceptions/fumbles

.....just saying

Purple Floyd
10-18-2012, 06:40 AM
Exactly. It isn't about the yards or the catches but the TD's scored and the points produced.

For all of the talent we supposedly have in Peterson,Harvin and Rudolph the team should see that talent leading to more point scored.

jmcdon00
10-18-2012, 09:53 AM
and....

Carlson is on pace to catch 8 passes
Simpson is on pace to score 0 TD's
Vikings are on pace to win 10 games
JA is on pace to get 11 sacks
Ponder is on pace to have 19 interceptions/fumbles

.....just saying
Fair enough. Harvin leads the league in receptions right now.
He also has the best kick return average in the NFL among players with atleast 4 returns(12 returns for 37.1 average). His career average of 27.8 is 4 yards per attempt more than Devin Hester.
Harvin has 5 kick return TD on 110 attempts. Hester has 5 kick return TD on 156 attempts.

You don't need to get too creative with the numbers to show that Harvin is a beast.

jmcdon00
10-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Exactly. It isn't about the yards or the catches but the TD's scored and the points produced.

For all of the talent we supposedly have in Peterson,Harvin and Rudolph the team should see that talent leading to more point scored.
We're are scoring 24.3pts per game. The league leading patriots score 31.3, 7 more per game.
Fact is while Harvin and Peterson are great players, there are a lot of great players(Rudolph for all his promise is still not a great player IMHO). And of course QB is far and away the most important position. Percy Harvin(or any other wr/rb) will never have the impact of a Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers.

Harvin had 24td his first three years.
Peterson had 67td his first 5 years.
It's not like these guys don't know how to score, the TD will come as the season progresses.

digital420
10-19-2012, 05:12 AM
for me as a fan i love PH for what he can do, and for what he brings to the field. after watching him grow into a dominant role on the team i can say that the combination of PH/AP makes defending the Vikes hard.. but not impossible. we need 3 more key points to be an elite team, and to really let the duo shine as they should.

1 & 2 would be.. a bullish TE that can muscle his way open. is Rudy this guy? or maybe the combo of Rudy and JohnnyC.. (though havn't seen it from JohhnyC yet i'm still hoping) the second part is a solid WR who can stretch the field, go over the middle, and force D's to protect their backside.. Simpson was brought in.. maybe .. maybe he's that part, but i think we'll find this key either in the draft or FA as the team builds as that's what were doing..

3.. a QB that can get the ball spread around. Ponder has vastly improved, but can he get past that good Qb to at least a great qb? this will be the deciding factor on how far the Vikes can use PH and the rest of the required pieces to become elite.

it's early.. havn't had coffee.. so don't qq if i don't make sense yet..
DiGiTaL

singersp
10-19-2012, 05:15 AM
We're are scoring 24.3pts per game. The league leading patriots score 31.3, 7 more per game.
Fact is while Harvin and Peterson are great players, there are a lot of great players(Rudolph for all his promise is still not a great player IMHO). And of course QB is far and away the most important position. Percy Harvin(or any other wr/rb) will never have the impact of a Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers.

Harvin had 24td his first three years.
Peterson had 67td his first 5 years.
It's not like these guys don't know how to score, the TD will come as the season progresses.

Actually, our offense is only averaging 22 points per game. 14 of those points were scored by special teams. Of those 22 points per game, 8 of them are strictly FG's, meaning our offense produces an average of only 2 TD's per game in rushing/passing. The Patriots are averaging over 3.

We need to find a way to turn a good share of those FG's into TD's. As far as scoring TD's once in the redzone, the Vikings are only at 50%, which ranks 19th in the league.

NFL Football Stats - NFL Team Red Zone Scoring Percentage (TD only) on TeamRankings.com (http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct)

digital420
10-19-2012, 05:37 AM
Actually, our offense is only averaging 22 points per game. 14 of those points were scored by special teams. Of those 22 points per game, 8 of them are strictly FG's, meaning our offense produces an average of only 2 TD's per game in rushing/passing. The Patriots are averaging over 3.

We need to find a way to turn a good share of those FG's into TD's. As far as scoring TD's once in the redzone, the Vikings are only at 50%, which ranks 19th in the league.

NFL Football Stats - NFL Team Red Zone Scoring Percentage (TD only) on TeamRankings.com (http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct)

this is one of the things i'm waiting to see rustymusty show us he's a solid OC. if he can improve on this by utilizing his playmakers with consistant playcalling we will see a large chunk of those well lets get the 3 and move on.. but also on this note.. we were once 4th n goal on the 2.. i know it's a risky move but why not go for it.. you have AP/Toby even if you DONT make it.. your D is sitting on a golden chance to stuff the O ina bad situation and possible saftey. i can understand 4th and goal from the 5+ to go for the chip shot.. but man.. use the tools you have (course it's easy for me being on the other side of a tv or in my case monitor to say this as i'ts not my arse that will be fried if it doesn't work out) i just think we should go for those more often.

vikinggreg
10-20-2012, 01:33 PM

Of the 18 teams a head of the Vikings how many have a winning record at the moment, only 4 have a winning record and the Patriots aren't one of them.

singersp
10-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Of the 18 teams a head of the Vikings how many have a winning record at the moment, only 4 have a winning record and the Patriots aren't one of them.

The 50% can be deceiving since they don't list the amount of times the teams were to the redzone. Scoring TD's on 50% of 4 times in the redzone is much different than scoring TD's on 50% of 4 times in the redzone.

The point is, the Vikings have been to the redzone a lot of times & coming away with only FG's much more often than we should. We wouldn't have a winning record either if it weren't for ST TD's.

We need to get better at coming away with more TD's if we want to win games.

NodakPaul
10-20-2012, 03:38 PM

Domg. :) what is the record for fgs in a season?

marshallvike
10-20-2012, 05:52 PM
The 50% can be deceiving since they don't list the amount of times the teams were to the redzone. Scoring TD's on 50% of 4 times in the redzone is much different than scoring TD's on 50% of 4 times in the redzone.

The point is, the Vikings have been to the redzone a lot of times & coming away with only FG's much more often than we should. We wouldn't have a winning record either if it weren't for ST TD's.

Huh????doesn't seem much different.:confused:

Minniman
10-21-2012, 12:56 AM

I agree. Musgrave has given away drives with trick plays, strange personnel moves, and low percentage calls when in the endzone. A two yard pass may work for a YAC first down on third and seven at midfield when the defense is stretched, but it is much more difficult in the compacted red zone - especially when the defense is already stacking the box.

As John Madden said, if the team needs ten yards, throw a twelve yard pass.

singersp
10-21-2012, 07:28 AM
Huh????doesn't seem much different.:confused:

LOL! I meant to say 14 for the second one.

singersp
10-21-2012, 07:33 AM
Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post

Domg. :) what is the record for fgs in a season?

David Akers broke the record last year by kicking & making 44 of them in 16 games.

That's damn near 3 per game!

Scoot
10-21-2012, 10:46 AM
Purple Floyd, I agree with you. I've believe that the offensive play calling is not consistent. They make some plays look so easy and then turn around and call a series of plays that go nowhere.

Reignman
10-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Sidney Rice has great hands ... but is not productive or worth real money. he has now played 15 games in Seattle and has a whopping 760 yards and 4 TDs. Hardly true "No. 1" numbers.To be fair, he had TJoke and now Russell Wilson throwing to him. Hardly gun slingers.

vikinggreg
10-21-2012, 07:16 PM

On of the stat lines I was looking at from that site that might show something a bit more glaring is the offensive td's for home and away game's was 2.6 to 1.0, after this game against the Cards there were 2 tds from the offense but I'm growing a bit more concerned with the passing game and thing the trip to Seattle in November could be a big step back due to crowd noise and their strong secondary.

PurplePowerPunch
10-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Pay harvin now ziggy wilf!

digital420
10-22-2012, 05:04 AM
Rob, SlickRick, Ziggy..

do what's needed to field PH for the next 5 years!! make him happy, keep us happy.. you'll be happy!

DiGiTaL

singersp
10-22-2012, 06:21 AM
Rob, SlickRick, Ziggy..

do what's needed to field PH for the next 5 years!! make him happy, keep us happy.. you'll be happy!

DiGiTaL

Slick Rick's too busy trying to lock up Loadholt

Minniman
10-23-2012, 06:48 AM
The Vikings should have locked up Harvin over the last offseason. To delay will cost the team big money and a lot of cap space. I expect Harvin's agent to play hardball, and the Vikings will likely have to use the franchise tag on him.

digital420
10-23-2012, 06:54 AM
Slick Rick's too busy trying to lock up Loadholt

i'm still hoping that this is to isolate how much cap space, Rob has to work with to get Harvin over the offseaon.. keeping in mind we don't need to load the boat for draftee's. and still ahve a bit of wiggle room for our WR's.. of which we neeed to FA..

DiGiTaL

jmcdon00
10-23-2012, 09:42 AM
The Vikings should have locked up Harvin over the last offseason. To delay will cost the team big money and a lot of cap space. I expect Harvin's agent to play hardball, and the Vikings will likely have to use the franchise tag on him.
I doubt it get's that far. The Vikings have a lot of leverage, but will likely be eager to give Harvin a fat incentive laden contract. Harvin doesn't want to play next year or the year after on 1 year deals.
That said I would probably let this season play out, make Harvin earn it for 16 games, then pay him early in the offseason with a near record contract.

singersp
10-24-2012, 05:25 AM
I doubt it get's that far. The Vikings have a lot of leverage, but will likely be eager to give Harvin a fat incentive laden contract. Harvin doesn't want to play next year or the year after on 1 year deals.
That said I would probably let this season play out, make Harvin earn it for 16 games, then pay him early in the offseason with a near record contract.

I don't think they have leverage at all. Outside of slapping the franchise tag on him, they have nothing. A franchise tag means very little these days.

Whether they're tagged or have a contract, if a good player wants out, he'll demand to be traded & will typically get what he wants anyway. A team has more leverage if the player isn't in demand or if there's a good chance they'll be Super Bowl contenders.

singersp
10-25-2012, 05:34 AM
Harvin has skills of the great ones

Hartman: Harvin has skills of the great ones | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/175686191.html)