PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL TITANS vs VIKINGS POSTGAME DISCUSSION

NodakPaul
10-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Great game all around. Harvin is a beast. Ponder continues to impress, and shows off some deep stuff. AD opens up again. Defense is awesome.

Discuss. :)

Reignman
10-07-2012, 07:07 PM
I don't know about you guys, but winning like this is starting to get boring. I miss being nervous and on the edge of my seat every Sunday. I can't go too long without getting my negative nancy fix, so I hope things get back to normal next week and we get a closer game with more head scratching moments. /sarcasm off

No seriously though, I love Vikings 2.0 and I hope we stick with the new aggressive style the rest of the season. Already more wins after 5 weeks than all of last year and first 3 game win streak since 2009.

kevoncox
10-07-2012, 07:12 PM
I just want us to turn these FGs into TDs. We are a good team, further into the season, it will be important to have these be TDs. Way too many Fgs.

Caine
10-07-2012, 07:13 PM
PLUS:

Ponder's long shot to Percy. Beautiful throw.

Defense. Gotta love this unit that seems to have found it's stride again. We missed you guys....

Our Kicker. Ryan who?

4-1 while the Packers are 2-3. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Minus:

3rd down efficiency. Gotta bring that up if we're going to seriously face the big boys.

Interceptions - One week after I congratulate him, he throws 2...go figure.

Not giving Peterson more carries. He's on my fantasy team...I need the points....

Caine

NodakPaul
10-07-2012, 07:20 PM
OK, here is a bit more on the game.

1) Ponder is looking good. 25/35 for a 71.4% completion percentage, 258 yards and 2 TDs. That is outstanding. He did finally throw a couple of picks, on back to back passes no less. And to be fair, there probably should have been another one. But he was able to collect himself and come back from it very well. He was very accurate most of the game, and showed some great touch on some deep passes. I am hoping that some of the complaints about never throwing the ball deep will be quieter this week.

2) Harvin is the best player in the NFL right now. Hands down. The only thing we haven't seen him do is throw a TD pass, and I wont be surprised if we see exactly that one of these weeks. He monopolized the attention of the defense and STILL made plays.

3) Smith is still clutch. I don't like the ejection call, but understand it. He needs to keep those emotions in check, especially when there is an officiating crew that is being ticky tack about everything. I was very worried when he went out, but luckily the defense was able to still perform without either starting safety in. Sanford continues to prove me wrong, and I am absolutely OK with eating crow for that. :)

4) Secondary as a whole is SO improved over last year. I am speechless.

5) AD is still money. His performance was overshadowed by Percy, but he still kept the Titans defense on their toes and had a good day on the ground.

Everyone played well. Simpson was shut out, but he was still drawing safety looks down field. Overall this was a very well put together game by the Vikings. We are 4-1, somewhere I absolutely did NOT expect us to be. So, so, so happy tonight! Let's keep it up Vikes. Washington is going to be a tougher game than Tennessee, but it is still winnable.

Also, I will never understand why this place is so quiet after a win but so loud after a loss. LOL.

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!

Dibbzz
10-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Great win all around. Glad we're tied for first in the NFC North!!! :D

Only real thing I'll nit-pick about is the conservative playcalling after Ponder through his second interception. Against more talented defenses I think some of those throws could have been read and possibly intercepted. Glad we grew a pair towards the end to throw it to the end zone to Rudolph. Man, that guy is a beast.

Where is John Carlson and Jerome Simpson? Also would be nice to see Jarius Wright involved with the offense to take some pressure off of Harvin and to take advantage of his breakaway speed.

Nice that we shut them out for practically the first three quarters. Harrison Smith hopefully learned his lesson not to put his hand on an official (a real one, nonetheless) and to keep his emotions in check. Hopefully moving forward he can channel that aggression as a positive and keep making plays on defense.

Other than that a great job all around. Hopefully Javon Ringer for the Titans is okay. I hate to see injuries like that happen :(

Let's keep up this momentum going forward next week against the 'Skins. SKOL!!!

NodakPaul
10-07-2012, 07:23 PM
I just want us to turn these FGs into TDs. We are a good team, further into the season, it will be important to have these be TDs. Way too many Fgs.

3 TDs and 3 FGs this game. I'm just fine with that. :)

NodakPaul
10-07-2012, 07:26 PM
3rd down efficiency. Gotta bring that up if we're going to seriously face the big boys.

Good observation. We were 3/11 - 27% - on third down. Didn't realize it was quiet that bad.

Interceptions - One week after I congratulate him, he throws 2...go figure.

He was bound to do it sooner or later. But he did come right back and lead a nice drive after that.

kevoncox
10-07-2012, 07:30 PM
3 TDs and 3 FGs this game. I'm just fine with that. :)
My only issue is when the FGs came. 1 TD then 3 FGs. If were were able to string those three TDs together they would take the soul out of the other team. However, this game was still in range for 3 quarters.

VikesFan4Life
10-07-2012, 07:39 PM
All I can say is that it's a lot more fun when the Vikes are winning (duh!). Last year was brutal.

marshallvike
10-07-2012, 07:43 PM
My son's games have all been on Sunday afternoons this year, so this is the first game I have been able to watch in its entirety. I saw the second half of the Frisco game. We are looking good. I know we have played an easy schedule, but at the beginning of the season I figured we were on the same level as these "easy" teams. But it is beginning to look like we are on another level.Not elite, but not a top ten draft pick team either.
I know Musgrave is setting up Christian with a simplified offense, but CP is making the most of it. There is no doubt he will succeed for us if he continues to be developed this way. (Sorry Caine, but I have to call it the way I see it).
Our secondary is light years ahead of where it has been. Not speaking athletically, but they seem to know where they should be on every play. In the past many years, most of the secondary looked confused. A lot of players out of position. Not anymore. Everyone looks sure of themselves. Guys are in the right position to make plays on a regular basis.
It is hard to believe the D line is playing as well as they are without a 320# tackle out there.I am a firm believer in the "war pig" in the middle, but they are doing the job without it. I don't know if they could make a run in the playoffs without a Jerry Ball, but who knows.
Running game is phenomenal. Whether it is AD, PH or Toby, we seem to be able to control a game once we get a lead by pounding it down their throats, and throwing the short passes.
Offensive line. Not enough can be said about the job they are doing. They seem top be able to shift from a pass blocking line to a run blocking line without a hitch. SUPERB!!!
Kluwe is as good as ever and Walsh makes it easy to let go of Longwell.
When looking at the whole picture, I cannot help but think Leslie finally has put together a staff that can develop a solid team and put us in a position to become an elite team in the future. It is early yet, but DAMN, we are far ahead of where I thought we would be at this point.

(This may not be the first time I got sucked into believing we are on the verge only to have my heart ripped out at the end).

EricTheViking
10-07-2012, 07:45 PM

Also, I will never understand why this place is so quiet after a win but so loud after a loss. LOL.

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!

HELL YEAH!!

No doubt that people seem to prefer bitching over being constructive - not that the former isn't sometimes warranted. However the Vikes are looking pretty damned good and this is, so far, the best season since 2009. Now we've got a long ways to go to equal that but here we are 4-1 nonetheless. The D is looking great, Ponder is coming along brilliantly (yeah he had his first two ints, back to back, but he picked a good game to have them in), Gerhart didn't fumble, Harvin is a Saint, and the play calling has gotten way better.
Today was a fun time in the chatroom because, instead of being stressed out the whole time, we were able to banter about random things since were enjoying such a comfortable lead. Redskins, Cards, and Bucs next. All potentially winnable but even losing one puts us at 6-2. I don't want to assume anything, or take anything for granted, but that would be pretty decent. This team has talent.

marshallvike
10-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Is this coaching staff actually good? Starting to seem like it.

marshallvike
10-07-2012, 07:52 PM

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!

Used to be busy no matter whether we won or lost.

EricTheViking
10-07-2012, 08:04 PM
I'm pretty new here so I'm going on Paul's word about it being busy or not, good years or bad. I actually signed up for my account about six years ago, on a whim, but never came back until this season. Can't say why but I'm enjoying interacting with fellow Purple Pride participants.

vikinggreg
10-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Used to be busy no matter whether we won or lost.

Shusssss....

It like this everyone starts talking about Ponder and no pick than bam 2 back 2 back

Vikings win Packs loss, all is good, now just keep moving along and not jinx it

NodakPaul
10-07-2012, 08:24 PM
I'm pretty new here so I'm going on Paul's word about it being busy or not, good years or bad. I actually signed up for my account about six years ago, on a whim, but never came back until this season. Can't say why but I'm enjoying interacting with fellow Purple Pride participants.

The Childress years left their mark on PP.O a bit, as I am sure it did everywhere in the Vikings nation. And then tying our worst season ever at 3-13 seems to have deflated us. But if we can continue to improve as we have been, I suspect the faithful will come back.

Not saying anybody is a bandwagon fan (although are fans too!), but the past couple of seasons would have been hard on anyone. :)

NodakPaul
10-07-2012, 08:25 PM
(This may not be the first time I got sucked into believing we are on the verge only to have my heart ripped out at the end).

Well Duh... we ARE Vikings fans after all! :D

LIVike
10-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Flat out domination all game. It was nice to see people leaving the game early because the Vikings were actually blowing out a team. If the defense didnt start playing prevent the titans would have had under 200 yards of offense. Chris Johnson again proves that he is way over paid.

I liked how they started to go deep and air it out more compared to the first few games. Peterson is just insane. I agree Harvin is one of the if not the best player in the NFL right now.

I am not really concerned about the ints as they are expected. What I would like to know though is who's idea it was to pooch kick the second kickoff instead of booting it out of the endzone.

EricTheViking
10-07-2012, 09:13 PM
The Childress years left their mark on PP.O a bit, as I am sure it did everywhere in the Vikings nation. And then tying our worst season ever at 3-13 seems to have deflated us. But if we can continue to improve as we have been, I suspect the faithful will come back.

Not saying anybody is a bandwagon fan (although are fans too!), but the past couple of seasons would have been hard on anyone. :)

Don't get me started on the Childress years. We all know why we got better those years and it had nothing to do with Chilly. He's now with the Browns where he belongs. I've watched the Vikes, fair weather or not, since i was 5. And I have the utmost respect for my lifelong Browns fan friend, as much he is screwed and now saddled with whats his name.

Tad7
10-07-2012, 09:59 PM
I was actually a little bit bored by this game...in a good way. Tennessee had absolutely no shot in this game from the first time we scored. I'm not used to not being worried lol.

As far as this place not being as busy....it seems to me that the site seemed unmaintained for a while. It ran slow, you couldn't change avatars or signatures, and I still don't think the new posts button works and that's a nice thing to have. Maybe that kept some people away. And I don't mean that in an asshole way. I really like this site, it's the only sports forum I'm on, it's way better than anything I could put together, etc...that's just how things appeared to me.

Purple Floyd
10-07-2012, 10:14 PM
I am still trying to figure out who kidnapped the entire coaching staff and roster and replaced them with these guys because they are not your fathers(or even older brothers) Vikings.

In the past this was exactly the kind of game where we should go out and dominate and yet they would somehow screw it up and lose. An old washed up QB like hasselbeck would generally come in and look like they just went through the fountain of youth or in the least they would look like they slept in a Holiday inn Express the night before.

But son of a gun, these guys are hitting on offense, hitting on defense and hitting on Special Teams. I saw hits on defense today that I have been waiting to see since Browner and Millard hung them up.

I am tentative to say this because I don't want to jinx anything but I officially take back everything I said about Hiring Williams and cutting Dunbar loose. This defense still is not elite, and they still have things to fix, but the players we have are giving it everything they have and they are playing above their talent level.

On offense the team is starting to figure out their identity. The biggest bright spot on the OL is Fusco. I saw him do so many good things over the past few games that I am really sold on him. Last year Herrera and Hutch were a liability and they made the rest of the line look worse. This year the Guards are both much better and that makes the whole line better. I even saw Loadholt out there 5 yards deep looking to lay the wood on a defender.

Ponder had a few picks. No big deal as he was more aggressive pushing the ball down the field and you will get more when you do that. There seem to be fewer and fewer noodle arm comments and he is showing that he is developing very nicely.

Rambro987
10-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Great game by the whole team!!!
I hope Ponder got all his INTs out of his system for the rest of the season and he will continue to improve. Such an uplifting thing to see improvement cause I.M.O up until the 49ers game I felt we were still stuck in the Childress era and would see no improvement till Frasier was gone. Sooo glad I am proven wrong thus far.
Peterson is finally catching passes and making some runs. I would really love to see him hit the first hole continuously and not so many cuts before hitting the LoS.
Percy Harvin is amazing! Our offense should continue to revolve around him, I feel he is our #1 RB. I guess it's just his height and speed, but I never see him not gain any yards on a rushing attempt.
I don't remember seeing anything going to the direction of Simpson after the 1st or 2nd quarter? Was he hurt, or did they game-plan to just remove him from the game completely?
Anyways, absolutely brightens my week each and every time the Vikings win a game, my TV does not leave the NFL Network after the Vikings win a game. Really hoping to see some Vikings love on the national networks, if not, oh well, on to the Redskins to continue to surprise everyone.

thorshammer
10-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Great game. Happy for another win. Pretty good on all fronts. It's nice to see us win the games we're supposed to and win some folks thought we shouldn't. So far so good.

snowinapril
10-08-2012, 02:08 AM
There was mention of the INTs, where Ponder should have had another that was dropped. The way I see it is the one that went off Kyle catches the pass instead of tipping it we would be minus one of those INTs. So either way, he was destined to throw 2 INTs today.

Our defense drops a lot also. I think that Greenway drops at least one a game.

I like our balance on offense, for years, we were trying so hard to be an offense and now it looks like we are. When it comes easy and we aren't trying too hard it looks good. I give props to our OC for some of this and the buys to carry it out. The offensive line being able to pass block and run block is a key part of this offense doing as well as it has.

AP's injury and the need to ease him back has helped this team form an identity other than "Adrian's Team." Maybe it wasn't even the need to ease him back as much as in the off season the rest of the team not knowing if or when he would be back.

singersp
10-08-2012, 03:18 AM
There was very little not to love about this game.

The offensive game plan was much more like I felt it should be. Kudos to Musgrave. The passes were deeper down field and not our typical 0-5 yard throws. I don't think we even threw a pass down the LOS, which we normally throw a few of every game. I also loved the aggressiveness on offense! Finally!

Rather than be complacent, protect the lead & simply hand it off right before the half and settle for the FG, I was happy that they actually passed & tried to score the TD. The INT was unfortunate, but somehow I felt OK with it, because of what I saw them try to do on offense. Ponder still had great game despite it & I was happy they didn't revert back to having him throw passes of 5 yards or less because of it. The 2nd pick was a bad throw, but I loved how many times he threw into tight coverage & connected, without hesitation. That is a NFL QB! The pass to K-Rudd in the endzone had a beautiful touch to it & with his great pass catching abilities, he made the catch look routine.

We had a few FG's that I'd have liked to see be TD's, but there again we were aggressive on those drives. In the past we'd usually be too conservative on offense & end up settling for the FG. This week we were much more focused on getting the TD with our play calls. We ended up with 3 TD's & 3 FG's & I was happy with that.

On defense we were much more aggressive. Kudos to Williams as well. At least IMO, we played a lot more man to man & went after the ball more. It was so much more exhilarating to watch our DB's knock balls away, have ant INT & miss a few others, rather than watch them play prevent & allow them to catch the passes underneath, then tackle them.

I hope all 3 coaches learned something from this win & continue to game plan like this in future games, especially on offense. Continue to allow Ponder to throw deeper passes. They don't all have to be greater than 20 yards, those mid-range passes are all great to. We may see completion % slip a bit, but we are much better off with more yards, more firsts & more scores, than we are with a high completion %, a lot fewer yards, fewer firsts & fewer scores.

This week Ponder actually had a much better completion % than last week when we tried to dink & dunk passes. I want to see that continue.

Caine mentioned we were 3-11 on 3rd down conversions. I'd like to see that improve as well, but we still had 25 first downs, meaning we had 17 first downs come on 1st or 2nd down & I certainly have no problems with that.

Great game! I hope we play like that when we play GB & Chicago.

digital420
10-08-2012, 06:37 AM
well well well.

4-1 sitting atop the NFCN and.. a force in the NFC!

the positives are soo many i'd rather hold them off and just hit on a few things i'd like to bring into a discussion.

1. the ref with smith. (Vikings rookie safety Harrison Smith ejected for contacting an official in Titans game - Washington Redskins - CBSSports.com RapidReports (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/20502479)) they are 4-5 yards away from the group .. smith allready backing up.. why is the ref still hugging him? your talking about guys in the mindset of aggressiveness.. they are in game mode.. and you want to keep pushing him backward? i agree it was smiths mistake to push the ref, it was smiths mistake to keep bla bla with whoever it was from TT's.. but comeone.. the ref should know as well these guys are in game mentality.. i still hold to the fact this ejection was based on the refs making their statement to the league. ok, it happend, it didn't cost us the game.. maybe a shutout.. but our D handled it smoothly.

2. wtf PH... it's like watching a video game.. remember he was ROY.. from this game on know that every DC will be splitting their focus on AP/PH.. and comments that were made about Calvin Johnson and AP (meaning you can't stop them but you try to contain them) are now common to Percy's name! I'm also very glad about how AP handled the PH touch takeover.. AP was the center focus of everything.. now he's splitting those touches with PH. this coulda gone way way way bad with a selfish player.. but his comments show that this team is just that.. a TEAM and together they will dominate!

3. DC - man.. what a difference some tweaking and coaching can do for a system. how many years have people here, reporters, anal-ysts, and wanna be nfl guru's lol'd the D of minnesota.. either our secondary.. or the front seven.. how many years were we sooo lopsided. stop the run swiss cheese on the pass.. in the last 2 weeks we've held 2 stars of their positions to nothing.. i'm really happy to see that the system is adapting, evolving, and game by game improving!! is this what happens with coaches who coach? (1 more week for marr's response here a)

4. SPT Walsh keeps impressing me with his leg strength.. my dad mentioned as i was making a burger about one of his FG's that i missed.. "He kicked that so hard it went through, came around and went through again"
my only hack on this part of the game was.. what happened on that fake punt.. everyone knew it was a fake.. everyone knew we were out of position/personel but no TO? nothing to correct it and stuff that lame attempt?

5. Musgrave.. well.. your qb tosses back 2 back ints.. he didn't close the playbook.. infact he opened it more. that call for the Rudy TD was sweeet!! sure the percy screens and quick passes were way to overly projected.. if we had been playing an aggressive and better coached D those coulda been pick6's. but if we lul them in with those and show they are a threat, then musty can open things up downfield. One last part here.. when you see how dominant you are up front.. and decide to run up the middle time and time again with success.. why change. esp now that other teams will focus there, and then bam.. we'll have those classic end runs.

6. Ponder 2 ints.. ok, he got over it.. GREAT.. this is what seperates good QB's from Great QB's.. is ponder GREAT? not yet.. is he moving there. to me slowly yes! the touch to the rudy TD... and hitting PH instride on the side go route.. great! 8 different people caught passes. though i noticed several of his throws were so focused he missed wide open people around. to a percy quick slant he had AP wide open left, on a few others i'll have to rewatch to verify he forced some throws into tight spots (many of which he made!) his progression either is not there yet, or those were called targets without having options to the rest of the field.

7. Tenn. titans.. D although we almost had a shutout. give some props to those guys for not quitting. they were handed their arses. now as much as my purple shades wanna say we have players that break tackles and make people miss.. they have some SERIOUS issues with tackling.. wow.. my dad said at one point. "Are we that good at breaking tackles,, or are they just that bad at tackling" i figured it's a mixture but.. wow..

O CJ??? you might want to give some of that money you got to our blockers.. i don't think they like you anymore..

just some points to discuss.. as i think we all want to praise the Vikes on this win, and for me.. the TEAM deserves it!!

DiGiTaL

ConnecticutViking
10-08-2012, 07:01 AM
The thing that most impresses me this year is that they are letting their playmakers make plays and getting the ball to their playmakers often! It has been said on this site many times, whether it was Chilly or Tice, playmakers were left on the field without getting touches. This year it is obvious there is an effort to get Harvin and AD touches. I love PH in motion, in the backfield, on returns, screens, etc. Even with AD's limitations from coming back, he is still getting his touches.

I would get so frustrated when Chilly would have a healthy AD carry the ball 11 times and Harvin have 2 catches, pulled off of special teams while running a couple of slant plays.

AngloVike
10-08-2012, 07:28 AM
Always good to get a win and more so when I have to stay up late ( with work the following day ) and not feel I'd have been better off sleeping.
Harvin again showed that he is one of THE premier players in the league at the moment and, even with the Titans expecting him to get the ball, still making those plays. In recent weeks the whole team seems to be playing with a real spring in their step, even Toby seemed to have rocket shoes on with his run up the middle which needed two DBs to bring him down.
Ponder again played well despite his two INTs though there were several more opportunities that the Titans turned down, other teams may not be so generous. Having said that he has great confidence and was willing to put the ball in the air even after those two hiccups. He may not be an 'elite' QB but IMO he's a damned good QB who is working well within the system he's been given.
Love Smith's play and aggression despite his getting thrown from the game. Didn't look bad to me but anytime a hand goes onto an official then you're on dangerous ground. Hopefully he'll learn and just save his energy for the next play when he can hit someone.
Now there have been games when I have hated our playcalling but happy to say yesterday wasn't one of those games. We had some good calls on both sides of the ball and glad to see Musgrave opening things up a little more. Maybe he is now getting more comfortable both in Minny and with knowing what his players can take on and execute.

My only hope now is that we continue to stay under the radar so that the team can continue without having national media coverage getting in their way. Good result and gives me more confidence for next week against Washington.

Marrdro
10-08-2012, 07:46 AM
What a game.

Props.....

Coaching staff, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Our second best S goes out and you send in the 3rd best S and he shines. A pleasant surprise to say the least. Your best S goes out for a penalty and your 4th best S steps in and although he didn't make any standout plays (until that late tackle for loss :) ) the defense doesn't miss a beat.

That my friends equates to "Coaching". Not a bunch of vets holding rookies hands. Coaching and I'm buying into it totally.

In short, coach Frazier, I'm on board for the long haul.

OL, I wish they were a bit better in the transition between run and pass but I think that is starting to come around. AD and Toby had a couple that should have went for more. When that starts to happen our 3rd down conversion will be a bit better I think.

WR's. Jenkins....Arash.....Are they finally starting to become better or is our QB helping in that area. Regardless, they were both open several times when Ponder needed a target. Percy, well, Percy just belongs in another category along with AD.

QB. Back to back INT's. Trying to force it a bit I think. Was that on Ponder or were the coaches asking him to force it a bit because of how well the defense was playing? One will never know, however, that is what I suspect. In the end, either way (Ponders decision/coaches decision) I liked that they recognized they could try it. That stuff will pay dividends later on in the year.

DL rotation. We have our Warpig fella's. His name is Guion. I wish I could still chart with my lap full of Grandson, but I can't, but I counted out loud 5 separate times he beat doubles and got into the backfield. One of those 5 were triples.....

On Robs early sack anyone notice who the third guy in the picture was eating up two blockers.....Griff. That guy played the 0, 1, 3, 5 and even dropped into coverage (effectively) twice, by my count.

One play that I want everyone to look at is JA's sack. The difference between this year and last year are twofold.....1) That rotation is keeping old legs fresh and getting young legs on the field that wear the other teams legs down.....2) Play calling. That was a thing of beauty. Actually set the play up so that they left JA alone to come free to the QB. Perfection my friends. Perfection.

LB'rs. Who was it that said they didn't want Erin back because he would mess with chemistry. LOL. He, Chad and Jasper were every where.

DB's. Great game. Someone said it was because they were playing more man. Quite the contrary. The did the same as they have all year. Difference here was again, the DL batting balls, harrasing the QB and generally just messing everything up so they could sit in their zones and defend.

Anyone notice who gave up the most yards though?.......

ST's.....Held last weeks ST player of the week to how many return yards? Made all his FG's and extra points......We should have jettisoned that EXPUKER and his weak assed (high percentage) veteran butt years ago.

In the end, we dominanted a team we were supposed to be equal to. Held a damn fine RB to only about 20 yards, flustered a damn fine veteran QB.

This team is getting better and better, especially on defense. Here's to the coaching staff who are making them better and the players who are paying attention. Again, you don't run out your 3rd and 4th team S's and not miss a beat like we did last night without some damn fine coaching being done by someone.

I will eventually hack on them for dumb stuff, but I will not ask for them to be removed again. Just like the players....I've bought into what they are selling.

Marrdro
10-08-2012, 07:52 AM
On offense the team is starting to figure out their identity. The biggest bright spot on the OL is Fusco. I saw him do so many good things over the past few games that I am really sold on him. Last year Herrera and Hutch were a liability and they made the rest of the line look worse. This year the Guards are both much better and that makes the whole line better. I even saw Loadholt out there 5 yards deep looking to lay the wood on a defender.

Excellent post my friend. One discussion point. Do you think they seem to do fine if they call 3 or 4 pass plays in a row, or 3 or 4 run plays in a row, but struggle when they shift back and forth between the two?

I think they are having a bit of an issue in that area but love the way the middle 3 are working together. Seems to allow the T's to focus just on their guy which makes them better as well.

Marrdro
10-08-2012, 07:57 AM
I don't think we even threw a pass down the LOS, which we normally throw a few of every game. I also loved the aggressiveness on offense! Finally!

I counted 2 of them that were complete (AD 2 yards/Rudy 5 yards) I think there was another one to a RB (or FB/HB) that was incomplete. Can' remember for sure. Box score will tell.

Marrdro
10-08-2012, 07:59 AM
I am still trying to figure out who kidnapped the entire coaching staff and roster and replaced them with these guys because they are not your fathers(or even older brothers) Vikings.
Thats what I'm saying. DAMN....

Who would have thought that the coach who claimed ownership to a secondary worse than ours last year would have such an impact on this group and do it by getting production from players most on here thought were crap.

Nothing finer than watching a team play like a team my friend. Nothing finer.

Marrdro
10-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Our secondary is light years ahead of where it has been. Not speaking athletically, but they seem to know where they should be on every play. In the past many years, most of the secondary looked confused. A lot of players out of position. Not anymore. Everyone looks sure of themselves. Guys are in the right position to make plays on a regular basis.
It is hard to believe the D line is playing as well as they are without a 320# tackle out there.I am a firm believer in the "war pig" in the middle, but they are doing the job without it. I don't know if they could make a run in the playoffs without a Jerry Ball, but who knows.

Its amazing how great our DB's and LBrs look when they aren't all up on the DL helping out the bigs my friend.

Even without the Warpig the rotation thing is coming around. I'm not sure who gets the most credit....D-coord or the new (old) DL coach who actually seems to have plays crafted for every situation. As I said in my post, the play call that set up JA's sack was a thing of beauty.

As to the Warpig. Guion has been a surprise. We might just have the cat I wanted and we just needed the coach on the staff to get him ready to perform.....:)

tastywaves
10-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Its amazing how great our DB's and LBrs look when they aren't all up on the DL helping out the bigs my friend.

Even without the Warpig the rotation thing is coming around. I'm not sure who gets the most credit....D-coord or the new (old) DL coach who actually seems to have plays crafted for every situation. As I said in my post, the play call that set up JA's sack was a thing of beauty.

As to the Warpig. Guion has been a surprise. We might just have the cat I wanted and we just needed the coach on the staff to get him ready to perform.....:)

It's also great when playing a team like the Titans. The defense played great, but man, this Titan's team has a long ways to go get competitive.

The DL rotation was heavier than I have seen in earlier games, which I like, they are a smaller, more athletic group that needs high energy. KW and JA took off a lot of plays. Robison seemed to be the only one that played most of the game, although he was replaced by Griffin a few times as well. I saw Griffin play both DE positions as well as DT, I would guess this is the heaviest action he has seen this season. Loved their run defense, CJ once again was non-existent.

I know you really don't want to concede this point, but the secondary is much better than last year. And maybe the DL play is looking better because they are getting better support from the secondary. Either way, one feeds off the other.

The TD throw for the Titans was due to Brinkley screwing up his coverage. All he had to do was turn around and give a difficult throwing lane for Hasselbeck and that play doesn't happen. He is still very uncomfortable in any play that has him going backwards, but I love watching him come forward.

This team is gaining a lot of confidence which goes along ways in playing well.

Good to see they unleashed Ponder a bit more in this game. Great game to do it, when our defense was pitching a shutout. He did have a number of questionable passes and decisions, but I liked the way he stayed after it (and the coaches) and was able to see some success in a more vertical game. Loved his pass to Percy down the sideline and the TD to Rudy. Damned near felt like a pre-season game where they were trying out a bunch of things they have been wanting to do.

I think the coaches called this game right on both sides of the ball. Thank you Tennessee for playing along.

Marrdro
10-08-2012, 11:36 AM
I know you really don't want to concede this point, but the secondary is much better than last year. And maybe the DL play is looking better because they are getting better support from the secondary. Either way, one feeds off the other.

Please please please please please don't take my comments about how much I love the new look D-line take away from what is going on in the back end.

I think/thought I've been pretty clear and vocal about how much I love the S's. Best group on one team I've seen in a long time, let alone on a Vikings team. I think it will be hard to keep all of them together. By the way, I said last week that we hadn't seen enough of Blanton, .....I still haven't, but yesterday was a very nice surprise. You see were he landed in Tackles yesterday....Second behind Chad.

Cook and Rob have been wonderful. Seeing alot of the "Press Zone" or "Zone Press" (however you want to call it this year that I thought we would see last year. Again, I think Cook is the wild card in that. What surprises me is that they allowed Josh to take top recievers at times, like they did with Britt yesterday, by himself.

All I'm trying to say is that now that the DL is also playing up to, or beyond itself, like the DB's (and the LB'rs) have, this defense is going to be very very fun to watch.

Purple Floyd
10-08-2012, 11:44 AM
I counted 2 of them that were complete (AD 2 yards/Rudy 5 yards) I think there was another one to a RB (or FB/HB) that was incomplete. Can' remember for sure. Box score will tell.
The TD pass to Harvin was basically a lateral that he took to the house nearly single handedly. One hell of an effort from one Mr Harvin.

Marrdro
10-08-2012, 11:52 AM
The TD pass to Harvin was basically a lateral that he took to the house nearly single handedly. One hell of an effort from one Mr Harvin.
Another good one I forgot.....Silly me....

I miss charting games. Not enough to start doing it again and give up hold my grandson though.....

Regardless, even though I don't have specific game notes at hand, I sure didn't see the "Increased" effort to throw it deep like our good friend Steve saw.

NDVikingFan66
10-08-2012, 12:18 PM
So many things to say about this game, but I want to point out one detail that I noticed. I forget the play, result, quarter, everything (too much into the game), but here are the details.

Ponder takes the snap...looks left....keeps looking left....turns head to the right and immediatly fires a strike to his receiver. Too me, that alone, tells how much more comfortable he is and how much he has progressed.

kingpin9995
10-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Don't get me started on the Childress years. We all know why we got better those years and it had nothing to do with Chilly. He's now with the Browns where he belongs. I've watched the Vikes, fair weather or not, since i was 5. And I have the utmost respect for my lifelong Browns fan friend, as much he is screwed and now saddled with whats his name.

I think a lot of credit has to go to the new d coordinator, Alex Williams for how he is scheming this defense which has a lot of the same parts as last season. This guy has been compared to Tomlin in his smarts for the d game and how he gets guys to buy in to what he's doing. It's a basic T2 defense that stresses being where you are suppose to be, and being patient that a play will be made to end a drive. It's how Tomlin went about hsi business here. They guys needs to be given loads of credit to where this defense has come from where it was. He keeps this up and he'll be the next very good coach we lose to a head job.

tastywaves
10-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Please please please please please don't take my comments about how much I love the new look D-line take away from what is going on in the back end.

I think/thought I've been pretty clear and vocal about how much I love the S's. Best group on one team I've seen in a long time, let alone on a Vikings team. I think it will be hard to keep all of them together. By the way, I said last week that we hadn't seen enough of Blanton, .....I still haven't, but yesterday was a very nice surprise. You see were he landed in Tackles yesterday....Second behind Chad.

Cook and Rob have been wonderful. Seeing alot of the "Press Zone" or "Zone Press" (however you want to call it this year that I thought we would see last year. Again, I think Cook is the wild card in that. What surprises me is that they allowed Josh to take top recievers at times, like they did with Britt yesterday, by himself.

All I'm trying to say is that now that the DL is also playing up to, or beyond itself, like the DB's (and the LB'rs) have, this defense is going to be very very fun to watch.

Agreed.

I think the safety play was our biggest weakness last year, so yes, I agree that it may be one of the most improved positions on the team. This is what I think has allowed us to be much more aggressive in how the CB's are allowed to play. CB talent is improved as well with Cook coming back and Robinson being a nice addition.

I don't think QB's are throwing as quickly on us this year as last, which also helps get the DL humming. Once they start getting pressure, it starts feeding into everything they want to do on defense. When there are weaknesses in any area, they will be attacked, we've minimized some of those weaknesses on defense this year.

singersp
10-09-2012, 05:14 AM

Those were short passes. I know there were a few of those. I recall 1 on 3rd & long.

I'm not talking about those. I'm talking about those quick passes straight down the LOS (or slightly behind) to a WR, usually Harvin. I don't recall seeing any of those.

Purple Floyd
10-09-2012, 06:55 AM

Those were short passes. I know there were a few of those. I recall 1 on 3rd & long.

I'm not talking about those. I'm talking about those quick passes straight down the LOS (or slightly behind) to a WR, usually Harvin. I don't recall seeing any of those.

Harvin's TD was one. I believe he had a first down earlier in the game with one too.

Marrdro
10-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Agreed.

I think the safety play was our biggest weakness last year, so yes, I agree that it may be one of the most improved positions on the team. This is what I think has allowed us to be much more aggressive in how the CB's are allowed to play. CB talent is improved as well with Cook coming back and Robinson being a nice addition.

I don't think QB's are throwing as quickly on us this year as last, which also helps get the DL humming. Once they start getting pressure, it starts feeding into everything they want to do on defense. When there are weaknesses in any area, they will be attacked, we've minimized some of those weaknesses on defense this year.

In the end we agree. :)

Marrdro
10-09-2012, 01:15 PM

I gotcha. As pointed out, Harvins TD was one. There were others as well. I don't think we will ever NOT see them.

keystonevike
10-09-2012, 02:05 PM
We don't rebuild, we reload.

digital420
10-09-2012, 04:04 PM
one thing that i havn't seen mentioned (or i missed it)

play calling.. anyone else notice PH took a lot of snaps everywhere early on. it seemed almost like we were featuring PH over AP.. then as the D began to adjust.. BOOM here comes AP's onslaught. if this was musgraves idea.. 2 thumbs up!! that's an OC doing his job. this will be something every DC we face will be thinking. I've mentioned it before and i'll keep saying it. you can't focus on AP and PH without being burned by Rudy or Simpson(or the other wr's) and if Ponder see's that open field, he has no fear to tuck and run.

i'm getting to like what the staff is doing. hard hitting D, and actual game planning O.

DiGiTaL

slavinator
10-09-2012, 06:48 PM
I think now is when we start to see what we really have. So far the fast physical style of play on the defense has kept people from exposing the C2. The offense has so many different looks with formations and who is lining up where, we present a lot of matchup issues. Couldnt be happier with the way Ponder has begun to develop.

The thing I like most is that we are not as reliant on one aspect as we have been in the past. That and the defense is resembling what it used to look like when Tomlin was here, not quite, but almost.......

i_bleed_purple
10-09-2012, 09:18 PM
I think now is when we start to see what we really have. So far the fast physical style of play on the defense has kept people from exposing the C2.
That would have alot to do with the fact we don't only run the C2. With robinson and Cook actually being able to cover, we're running alot more man packages than before.

MaxVike
10-10-2012, 08:34 AM
Good game. So many encouraging things to see:
- Cook and Robinson's ability to cover the outside has enabled Williams to blitz, and be more aggressive with the defense in general.
- Everson Griffin on the field more
- Guion appears to have made a major step forward...perhaps he is listening more to KWill, or, perhaps Williams knows what he's doing.
- Robinson and Harrison are learning very quickly on the job.
- Ponder looks decisive and confident. Albeit, I thought he lost focus and discipline during the Titans game. He regained it and through a TD.
- Peterson returning to beast mode is remake able. He truly is a blessed athlete and we are fortunate he's a Vike.
- Harvin, well, for those of you who watch college FB avidly, his performance this year will remind you of his years as a Gator. We are fortunate he's a Vike too.
- Rudolph, I've said it a few times, he has a great chance of being our best TE ever.
- Greenway is flying around and making more plays than ever...he's playing at a very high level .

Now, reality will be setting in soon. The Texans will win a minimum 12 games for a myriad of reasons...one of which, they play 6 games vs the Colts, Jaguars, and Titans. Three shitty teams we've already played. The wins against SF and Detroit were impressive, giving the coaches and the Team obvious confidence. I never in a million years thought we'd be 4-1, but, all along I've expected ups and downs. Spielman deserves some credit here too. I haven't even mentioned the ballsy move to replace Longwell with Blair. Ellison, Blanton, and Cole have all contributed too. There is a lot to be enthusiastic about, to be sure.

That said, team must stay focused and convert FGs to TDs to keep rolling IMO.

Marrdro
10-10-2012, 11:48 AM
That would have alot to do with the fact we don't only run the C2. With robinson and Cook actually being able to cover, we're running alot more man packages than before.
I agree, they have run more man, but don't forget, just because they are pressing at the line, doesn't always mean they are in man.

If you had a better camera angle you would probably still see the S's in a C2 or C3 look.

Marrdro
10-10-2012, 11:53 AM
I think now is when we start to see what we really have. So far the fast physical style of play on the defense has kept people from exposing the C2. ..
But it has been exposed. Thats my point. The first two, and to a certain extent, the third game we were beat up via the pass.

The secondary everyone now raves about gave up as many first downs via the air as they did on the ground. There wasn't a significant drop off until week 4 and 5 when the DL really started to get it together.

Unless the DL does its job, the secondary will look bad. They have just looked pretty good for 2.5 games because the DL has done their job for 2.5 games. :haha: