PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Vikings Fan Are You?

NodakPaul
08-30-2012, 08:00 PM
It is going to be a long season, so I thought I'd start it off with a little bit of humor. :D

The way I see it, most fans demonstrate a handful of traits, often times exaggerated by the anonymity of the internet. This is my over-simplistic attempt to categorize those traits...

The Blind Homer
No matter how bad it gets, the Blind Homer supports his or her team to the point that it defines conventional wisdom. They are the ones who think that they are only a couple of players away from turning a 0-16 season into a super bowl win. They also look for any and all measures of improvement and use it as evidence to support their belief.

The Blind Homer often refers to himself as an optimist, but in truth they take the concept of positive thinking to an extreme. True optimism (a very rare trait) combines a healthy dose of skepticism while hoping for the best. While a true optimist would say "IF Ponder can rise to the occasion, the Vikings stand a chance of finishing with a winning record.", a Homer would say "WHEN Ponder rises to the occasion, the Vikings stand a chance of making the playoffs."

It isn't ALWAYS sunshine and roses for the Blind Homer though. A Homer will stand behind a shitty player for a long time, but when they finally give up on him, that player is dead to them. Hell has no fury like a Blind Homer scorned.

The Negative Nancy
The polar opposite of the Blind Homer, the Negative Nancy is always complaining about something. It is often hard to understand why this person is even a fan of the team, because they are never happy. Similar to the Homer, they will look for any and every piece mistake the team makes to emphasize their point.

The Negative Nancy likes to call himself a realist. However, they are only "real" about the negative stuff. Perfection is an unattainable goal, so there will always be mistakes and weak spots. The Negative Nancy focus on those mistakes to the near exclusion of anything good.

Sometimes a Negative Nancy will go out of their way to offer a compliment, but it is always laced with some kind of complaint. "Ponder may have thrown for 275 yards and two TDs, but he was staring down his receivers all night and Harvin helped him out with a couple of amazing grabs." Or "Hey, I'm proud of the Vikings for winning, but they did it against a bad team. Let's see how they do against a division opponent..." These back handed compliments are not compliments at all, they are simply dropped in so the Nancy can claim that they aren't ALWAYS negative...

The I-Told-You-So
While the Nancy is always complaining, the I-Told-You-So (or the ITYS) only complains when the team is winning or a player is performing. When the team is losing or the player of choice is struggling, they reveal in being able to say "I told you so" to everybody who disagreed with them.

Most ITYS's fixate upon a certain player or position. With regards to the rest of the team, they are usually Nancies, complaining no matter what. But when that certain player fails, let's say an aging QB who they hate throws a pick in the red zone in the final minutes of a tied NFL Championship game, they almost hurt themselves with the ferocity and vigor of the I Told You So chubby that they get.

Homers can also go ITYS on a player, usually when they are forced to give up on a player they have supported for too long.

The Fair Weather Fan
When the Vikings win, they dye their hair purple and go screaming through the streets. When they lose, they claim that they never liked that POS team and the Vikes are headed for the basement.

Now it is healthy to be happy with a win and upset with a loss. But if your suport hinges on the win-loss record, then you are a fair weather fan. Once the team is eliminated from playoff contention, these fans disappear. These fans often miss large chunks of the regular season because they simply can't be bothered until they are sure the Vikings are winning.

The Ideal Fan
The Ideal Fan is optimistic and skeptical at the same time. They enjoy the wins and learn from the mistakes. They set realistic expectations for the team, and are happy when they achieve them, and disappointed when they don't. They are objective with both praise and criticism.

They also don't exist. Sure, lots of people THINK they are an Ideal Fan, but the truth is that most of us are too emotionally vested in the team to be truly objective. Anyone who says that they are an Ideal Fan are only kidding themselves. The best we can hope to achieve is recognition of what kind of fan we really are, and keep that in mind as we face the season.

Me? Well obviously I am an Ideal Fa.... I mean a Blind Homer. :) But at least I admit it! Skol Vikings!

MaxVike
08-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Fun post ND... I am a heartbroken (as a youth mostly), proud, die hard, optimistic, albeit realistic, fan. I guess that puts me in the Ideal category, although, I'm really not ideal at anything...other than ideally an example of what not to do.

PurplePowerPunch
08-31-2012, 08:02 AM
I'm a mixure of The Blind Homer, with a hint of The Ideal Fan! SKOL VIKINGS!!!

NordicNed
08-31-2012, 09:21 AM
for sure I'm a mix or a homer and ideal fan. Been saying this is our year since somwhere around 1967/68, and have never even entertained the thought of cheering on another team. Right now, I'de be very happy with a 6 to 8 win season this year, at least that would tell me we are doing something right...

singersp
08-31-2012, 10:18 AM
So basically, since you're stating Ideal fans don't exist & ITYS fans are really Negative Nancies, outside of FW (Bandwagon) Fans, what you are saying is there are only Blind Homer's or Negative Nancies.

I happen to believe Ideal fans do exist. They are passionate about their team, stick with them thru thick & thin, praise players/coaches that do well & criticize players/coaches that do not perform well.

Bottom line, they want their team to win, but can recognize when their team isn't that great, aren't afraid to say so & cheer them on win or lose.

They fall somewhere in between the "Homer" & the "Gloom & Doom" fans & I believe this is where most loyal fans are. To clarify "loyal", I mean fans that stay fans of the team irregardless of wins, losses & players & don't jump ship when they are losing or jump to another team when their favorite player leaves the Vikings.

Minniman
08-31-2012, 11:12 AM
I may not be an ideal fan, but that is my goal. I do not blow sunshine, but I try to balance criticism both positive and negative.

I watch many games with a coaching point of view. I look for things that work, and I look for things that do not. I call it as I see it. I can see things wrong in a win and things right in a loss. Lately, I have seen a lot of things wrong in losses, but that is to be expected with a 3-13 team.

Being a Vikings fan since the early 1970's, I have learned to be cautiously optimistic. I am no fair weather fan. I have stuck with the team through good times and bad.

What I try to do is answer why I have my viewpoint or premise. I try to be logical. It is impossible to leave out emotion, but that is because I am only half Vulcan.

ShowingMyHorns
08-31-2012, 11:16 AM
Blind Homer. Predict super bowl every year... then were bad. Then the years i predict bad (rare)... its NFC championship time. I see us 10-6 this year... i think that classifies me as a blind homer.

NodakPaul
08-31-2012, 11:17 AM
I would say that most people would like to think that they are the Ideal Fan - after all, nobody wants to admit to being a Homer or a Nancy, but if you asked other people to classify you, they would almost always put you into one of the other four categories. ;)

It's all just in fun anyway. In truth the Ideal Fan is a combination of all four extremes. I would say that it is 40% Homer, 40% Nancy, 10% ITYS, and 10% Fairweather. I'll let you know if I every see one on PP.O... :D

NodakPaul
08-31-2012, 11:19 AM
Blind Homer. Predict super bowl every year... then were bad. Then the years i predict bad (rare)... its NFC championship time. I see us 10-6 this year... i think that classifies me as a blind homer.

Love it!

PackSux!
08-31-2012, 11:54 AM
Total blind homer here. I already predicted a 16-0 season as I do every year.

idahovikefan7
08-31-2012, 02:04 PM
I'm not exactly sure which I would consider myself. I'm very die hard. Probably take some games a little too serious. Absolutely hate every player, and person in the organization for about an hour after a loss then get over it and look to the next week.

I'm a happy camper when we are winning and a bad mood jude when we are losing, but will stand beside the team through the most light and darkest of times.

C Mac D
08-31-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm a little bit of all these... but I think the "I Told You So" profile fits me the best.

Traveling_Vike
08-31-2012, 04:19 PM
I don't believe that I actually fit into any of those categories, but if I had to place myself somewhere on that spectrum, I suppose it would be as a "Myopic Homer." Not totally blind, as I can be realistic about things, but since my season prediction is a game or more ahead of almost everyone else's, I have to concede a certain dose of Homerism.

iowa
08-31-2012, 05:41 PM
Hmm, a homer with just a pinch of realism would best describe me.I keep thinking our turn is coming, we're way overdue !

battleaxe4cheese
09-01-2012, 09:31 AM
I am a shell of my former self. I am in a constant state of shell shock and I have the football equivalent of the 1000 yard stare.

I have experienced euphoric highs only to be closely followed by a despair so deep Satan himself would have to go under his basement to find me.

I know what I have become and no matter how many times I tell myself I will never get that emotionally involved with our team again, I get the same energy driven feeling when the season rolls around again. I am a sado masochist by all accounts I guess.

I feel like a weary traveler wandering around a post apocalyptic world. I have wondered if the team I have followed since a kid is truly cursed. I do not need to elaborate as we all know. But instead of Mad Max and his trusty dog I have beer and prozac in 5 pound bags. I would like to think I have fellow ppo comrades to share this journey.

I survive on meager rations of hope.

marstc09
09-02-2012, 01:45 PM
I am none of these. I am a Realist.

Zeus
09-02-2012, 06:32 PM
I'm whatever kind that has realistic expectations for an extremely young and thin team.

=Z=

thorshammer
09-02-2012, 08:44 PM
I'm the kind of fan who is still here after following the Vikings since their first year in the league ... not sure what else that makes me .....

Zeus
09-02-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm the kind of fan who is still here after following the Vikings since their first year in the league ... not sure what else that makes me .....

Old. LOL!

=Z=

IA Vikefan
09-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Well, I'm not a blind homer, but i do look at the reality aspect of things.... the biggest downfall with me is I take this stuff too seriously... when the Vikings lose, it can seriously set up an entire week to be bad... to the point that my wife roots desperately for a W on Sundays so that I'm not an insufferable prick all week long... LOL!

As for this year, I'm cautiously optomistic... if Child's hadn't gone down with the injury, we'd be in a much better spot with the passing game. As it sits right now, I'm having flashbacks of Sidney Rice being out, throwing the entire rest of the offense off kilter, and disaster... I think we should have done more in terms of getting receivers.

Defensively, I'm looking for a big improvement, and I think I'll be rewarded for this train of thought.

purplepat
09-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Pretty much the Blind Homer, though that hasn't been all that unreasonable being a Vikings fan. The team is usually competitive year in, year out, and there aren't many Sundays where I can't envision a realistic scenario where the Vikings can and will win. Even last year, losing 13 games, I take heart that nine of those losses were by 7 points or less. That tells me that without a whole ton of improvement (score 3 more a game, hold the opponent to 3 fewer points), the Vikings could/should win a lot more games this year than last. I do think this team is/will be better this year than last. Depth is paper thin and they won't be able to handle many injuries, but the starting 22 (25 with the ST guys) should be able to hang with 80% of the league.

Pass the purple kool-aid, brothers....

Zeus
09-02-2012, 10:51 PM
Pretty much the Blind Homer, though that hasn't been all that unreasonable being a Vikings fan. The team is usually competitive year in, year out, and there aren't many Sundays where I can't envision a realistic scenario where the Vikings can and will win. Even last year, losing 13 games, I take heart that nine of those losses were by 7 points or less. That tells me that without a whole ton of improvement (score 3 more a game, hold the opponent to 3 fewer points), the Vikings could/should win a lot more games this year than last. I do think this team is/will be better this year than last. Depth is paper thin and they won't be able to handle many injuries, but the starting 22 (25 with the ST guys) should be able to hang with 80% of the league.

Pass the purple kool-aid, brothers....

Totally agree with you, Pat - especially the "depth is paper thin" part.

=Z=

Freya
09-03-2012, 07:33 AM
Ideal.

And they are lucky to have me. ;)

marshallvike
09-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Not sure where I would fit in. I have worn my Vikings hard hat to any jobsite I have been on since I found one available many years ago. (work in and around Chicago). Good season or bad. Watch the Viking games at my neighborhood pub amongst the Bear fans, and they will inevitably hear the Viking horn blowing when the Vikes have a big play. I think I fell out of practice last year:(. All my family and friends know that they will not go wrong on Christmas or birthdays getting anything Vikings. I try not to be negative on here, but sometimes I just cannot help myself. It is a little different bitching about the team on here than among fans of other teams. Kind of like fighting with your brother at home, but you don't let someone outside get on him. I guess a little of a few of them.

NodakPaul
09-03-2012, 01:33 PM
I am none of these. I am a Realist.

I'm whatever kind that has realistic expectations for an extremely young and thin team.

=Z=

Everyone thinks they are a realist. Nobody really is... :)

singersp
09-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Everyone thinks they are a realist. Nobody really is... :)

Only a Homer fan would say there's no such thing as a Realistic fan. :p

vikinggreg
09-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Somewhere between delusional and unemployeed GM/coach (no longer imaginary player, retired with Warren Moon), I think I know what the FO, players and coaches should do or are doing without and inside information and am more than happy to point out when they are stupid (by my meaningless standards) as I yell at the TV (wife says they can't hear me so I sometimes yell louder) and am also happy to give out a "now that's what I'm talking about" when they do as I say (also know as a coincidence in some circles). I however have never swear them off or washed my hands of them but have come to terms and can admit when a year will be less than stellar and will take more than a season to progress.

Caine
09-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Like Singer, Zeus, Marstc09, and others have stated already, I don't fit into any particular mold.

Right now, many may PERCEIVE me to be a Negative Nancy...of course, I mitigate that pointing out that my "negativity" is simply honest criticism of elements which are broken and should be fixed. The fact that there are so flippin' MANY areas that need fixing isn't my fault.

Even during the strong years, I am never a blind homer. I praise the positive elements, and revel in the victories, but I still look for areas to improve - and still keep a solid eye on our opponents.

In truth, I consider myself to be an "Ideal" fan. I support the TEAM as a whole, but I take issue with elements within it that are malfunctioning. I always HOPE for a better outcome, but I don't get "pie in the sky" about it.

And, most importantly, I bash the Packers at EVERY opportunity...even if I have to make them up.

Caine

marshallvike
09-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Like Singer, Zeus, Marstc09, and others have stated already, I don't fit into any particular mold.

Right now, many may PERCEIVE me to be a Negative Nancy...of course, I mitigate that pointing out that my "negativity" is simply honest criticism of elements which are broken and should be fixed. The fact that there are so flippin' MANY areas that need fixing isn't my fault.

Even during the strong years, I am never a blind homer. I praise the positive elements, and revel in the victories, but I still look for areas to improve - and still keep a solid eye on our opponents.

In truth, I consider myself to be an "Ideal" fan. I support the TEAM as a whole, but I take issue with elements within it that are malfunctioning. I always HOPE for a better outcome, but I don't get "pie in the sky" about it.

And, most importantly, I bash the Packers at EVERY opportunity...even if I have to make them up.

Caine

Therein lies the thread that ties us all together. :clap:
I can't disagree with your ideal rating after that last line.

NodakPaul
09-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Only a Homer fan would say there's no such thing as a Realistic fan. :p

lol. well played.

Mr Anderson
09-03-2012, 07:44 PM
What I am from Monday through Saturday and what I am on Sunday are totally different.

My roommates will tell you I am a miserable, pessimistic asshole while the Vikings are playing.

I turn every little thing that goes wrong, a false start, bad call, poor play call, dropped pass into a fucking catastrophe. I blame officials and coaches for everything that goes wrong. The opposition almost never genuinely makes a great play against us.

Perfect coverage leads to a pass defended? Bad throw.
Linebacker reads and reacts, fills a gap and makes a tackle? Shit play calling.

And there's always something worse on the way.

On any day but Sunday I'd say I'm a cautious pessimist. But if I were forced into one of these categories I'd call myself a negative nancy.

VKG4LFE
09-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Of course im an ideal fan with a trace of blind homer mixed in. 5 and 11 this year but only a couple years and a qb away from a super bowl! Haha

TheAnimal93
09-04-2012, 03:15 AM
Been a fan since 1970. I have run the full gambit. How could you not be one or all of them during this span? Ive been a fan longer than most of you have been alive. Its been a rough purple life. The highs, the lows. Damn, Im tired. I must go nap now.
SKOL!!!

Thorshammer10
09-04-2012, 01:02 PM
I am definitly a blind homer! I see us just a healthy Peterson and a Smith interception away from making the playoffs. I see Kalil as the answer just because Peterson is a left side runner. Yes , that makes me naive but it also makes me a diehard and truly loyal till I die fan. And Damn Proud Of It !

gregair13
09-04-2012, 02:08 PM
What I am from Monday through Saturday and what I am on Sunday are totally different.

But what if we are playing on Monday or Thursday?

Mr Anderson
09-04-2012, 03:44 PM
But what if we are playing on Monday or Thursday?
I simply refuse to watch.

Marrdro
09-05-2012, 04:39 AM
I'm a little bit of all these... but I think the "I Told You So" profile fits me the best.
LOL, anyone who says that they are something other than this is either new to the site or someone who has been posting on here and I've been missing his/her posts.

I do try to keep my "I told You So" down and only use them for a select few, but its a hard enjoyment to control.

marstc09
09-06-2012, 12:54 AM
I do try to keep my "I told You So" down and only use them for a select few, but its a hard enjoyment to control.

This happens?! Weird. I have never seen it.

singersp
09-06-2012, 06:44 AM

You mean like...

"Our OL is fine"

Oh wait! You mean like....

"Our CB's are fine, it's the DL....."

Oh wait!

Minniman
09-06-2012, 09:38 AM
I would not consider myself an "I told you so" type of fan. While I do recall past posts, especially if I see trends that others have overlooked, but I am not in your face about them. As I stated above, I sometimes post things I see wrong in a win and things I see right in a loss. If I have backed up my premise, I do not see anything wrong with referencing previous posts.

In my opinion, "I told you so" type of people make comments and then come back later, if they are correct, and shove it back in other peoples' faces. They attempt to belittle others on the point.

I can give a couple examples. Brad Childress got a win against Washington in his first game. In fact, he won several games quickly. I posted some things I saw that indicated to me that Childress is not doing a great job, and the team would suffer down the line, even though the Vikings had been winning. In that first game, Childress played for the field goal and tried to milk the clock. They almost lost because of it and likely would have against a better team or even if Washington had a better kicker. I went back to those posts from time to time when the Vikings were losing because the problems had not been resolved. One may say I was a negative Nancy or an "I told you so" type of fan, but I do not believe so. I saw bad things and said so, and I talked about them later, but I did not do it to humble anyone else.

When McKinnie was being praised by the NFL, I noted he had poor footwork and gave up on blocks far too soon. Fans stated I was bashing McKinnie, but I was just calling it how I saw it. I also noted that McKinnie was giving tells to the defense by the way he lined up at scrimmage. I posted, on a different board, a play by play of a series to show what I was talking about. When the Cardinals players let slip that the Vikings gave tells, it was one of those "I told you so" moments, but I did not try to humble anyone over it. It also did not help that the Vikings tended to run certain plays only from certain sets or personnel packages or that Peterson tended to look to the area of attack before the snap. The former we had seen and posted about previously, the latter we had not.

In other words, I believe an "I told you so" type of fan makes predictions just to say "I told you so" later. They have a sense of grandeur. On a board like this, many members will reference old posts to indicate that they had seen this or that early, but that does not mean they are going out of their way to prove others wrong. They are not posting a counterpremise just to use later to say, "I told you so, idiot!" They are just saying that their premises were proven correct. There is a subtle difference, but it is an important difference.