PDA

View Full Version : first preseason game

Webby
08-10-2012, 12:34 AM
What are you all doin for it? Weird stuff being on CW23 here but preseason is always odd to me.

singersp
08-10-2012, 06:07 AM
We will watch at home on TV here in WI. It's televised here because the Packers played last night.

It's Joy's first time ever to watch a Vikings game. I might try getting her up to the dome next week or the week after that. The home opener is getting too close to her due date.

shockzilla
08-10-2012, 07:30 AM
Go to the Park Tavern in St. Louis Park to hang with a few folks from the VWO and maybe bowl a few games.

MrFlix
08-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Watch the game by myself on the computer as usual with a cold Belgian beer :)

NodakPaul
08-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Going to sit back, pop a beer, and watch 60 great minutes of vanilla preseason football! It is on Fox here in Fargo. :D

I don't expect to see much of the playbook, especially considering we face the 49ers later in the season. But I do think that Ponder will start for more than the standard series or two that other starters are getting, so that will be fun to watch!

idahovikefan7
08-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Anyone know of any sites to watch it live? Justin.tv fails now.

Marrdro
08-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Working in the closet. Scouring the internet for a site not blocked by the firewall. :)

idahovikefan7
08-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Thanks! Ya all the old ones I used to use are junk now :(

idahovikefan7
08-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Minnesota Vikings vs San Francisco 49ers Live Stream Online (http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/134817/1/watch-minnesota-vikings-vs-san-francisco-49ers.html)

Got this one to work

kevoncox
08-10-2012, 08:25 PM
We can't stop the run...
Bad safety angles.
And DT are getting swallowed up.
Did I add Greenway is wearing blocker magnets...

Chanse503
08-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Our run D is looking terrible!

Marrdro
08-10-2012, 08:29 PM
We can't stop the run...
Bad safety angles.
And DT are getting swallowed up.
Did I add Greenway is wearing blocker magnets...
Funny how you start blaming the S's instead of starting to blame the DT's......

Looks like some yutz might be onto something when he gets on his soapbox about how crappy we are at that position......"Just saying"......snicker......:haha:

Love the FG and throw to Burton though.

kevoncox
08-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Funny how you start blaming the S's instead of starting to blame the DT's......

Looks like some yutz might be onto something when he gets on his soapbox about how crappy we are at that position......"Just saying"......snicker......:haha:

Love the FG and throw to Burton though.

You should never take a bad ankle as a Safety. Its your job to sit (especially in the cover two) until the ball crosses the plain.
It was the most glaring but... the DT position has been terrible for years and I have stood on that soapbox and crowed with you for a warpig. In fact I ask for a WR and a DT every year from Santa...

kevoncox
Chris Carr is not the answer :(

Marrdro
Minnesota Vikings vs San Francisco 49ers Live Stream Online (http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/134817/1/watch-minnesota-vikings-vs-san-francisco-49ers.html)

Got this one to work
I hate firewalls.

kevoncox
08-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Sherels....
Your job is to avoid the tackler..

NodakPaul
08-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Everyone keep in mind that four of our defensive starters are NOT playing today. I am not as concerned about the lack of run D right now.

I AM concerned about the safeties reactions so far... Looking forward to seeing Smith in there soon.

Also I am lovn me some Walsh. :)

Marrdro
08-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Chris Carr is not the answer :(
LOL, after watching the stat line (can't see the game) it looks like the whole defense isn't the answer. :P

Marrdro
08-10-2012, 08:36 PM
You should never take a bad ankle as a Safety. Its your job to sit (especially in the cover two) until the ball crosses the plain.
It was the most glaring but... the DT position has been terrible for years and I have stood on that soapbox and crowed with you for a warpig. In fact I ask for a WR and a DT every year from Santa...
Our good friend NP made a very astute observation.....Vets are missing. They will help but I still say that better line play will make our secondary look alot better. Poor line play will make our secondary look stupid.... Its the nature of the scheme.

kevoncox
08-10-2012, 08:36 PM
The Oline looks a lil better.

Marrdro
08-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Everyone keep in mind that four of our defensive starters are NOT playing today. I am not as concerned about the lack of run D right now.

When was the last time I told you that you were wise beyond your years my friend. :)

Going to be in Fargo in a week. You going to be close?

kevoncox
08-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Patrick Willis is a monster...
How is he always making the play.. Underrated and is considered a stud.

kevoncox
08-10-2012, 08:41 PM
When was the last time I told you that you were wise beyond your years my friend. :)

Is that why our DT are getting moved like they are on skates.

Marrdro
08-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Patrick Willis is a monster...
How is he always making the play.. Underrated and is considered a stud.
Bingo. I'm amazed we are getting the ypc that we are in the run game.

Chanse503
08-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Man we are lucky to have a guy like Toby.
Guy is a dam good option w/ AP being sidelined.

Marrdro
08-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Is that why our DT are getting moved like they are on skates.
We have a 3 tech trying to play the 1, a cat named Evans that is a waste of (well this is a family site)....and a bunch of LDE's trying to play the 3 tech.

Rotate them all they want, they are still trying to get players to play out of position for the scheme we run.

NodakPaul

You're going to be in Fargo? That is where I am. I'll send you a message with my cell - we should hook up for dinner or beers.

Marrdro
Man we are lucky to have a guy like Toby.
Guy is a dam good option w/ AP being sidelined.
I hear ya my friend. Used to be a contingent on here who hated the pick and didn't like him. :)

Marrdro
08-10-2012, 08:46 PM
You're going to be in Fargo? That is where I am. I'll send you a message with my cell - we should hook up for dinner or beers.
Pig picking at my sisters house friday. We fly into the cities Friday morning and will drive up. Niece is getting married......I will tron ya.

kevoncox
08-10-2012, 08:48 PM
We have a 3 tech trying to play the 1, a cat named Evans that is a waste of (well this is a family site)....and a bunch of LDE's trying to play the 3 tech.

Rotate them all they want, they are still trying to get players to play out of position for the scheme we run.

Marr,
I don't care why they are poor at it. The fact is, they are poor at it and this is what we have decided to put on the field. So expect more of the same this season.

NodakPaul
08-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Love the touchback. Didn't see enough of them last year.

NodakPaul
08-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Where the hell were our safeties? Wtf?

kevoncox
08-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Screw you Shortwell... :)

Chanse503
08-10-2012, 08:50 PM
That was embarrassing any way you look at it--SMH!
Chris Cook should have caught him w/ ease...

kevoncox
08-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Oh God!
Good thing we don't have any athletic QBs in our division.

Marrdro
08-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Love the touchback. Didn't see enough of them last year.

Is that two TB's and two FG's for our boy? We should have jettisoned Shortwell years ago. :)

kevoncox
08-10-2012, 08:51 PM
That was embarrassing any way you look at it--SMH!
Chris Cook should have caught him w/ ease...

Nah the kid is fast!

Marrdro
08-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Screw you Shortwell... :)
Whooooooooot Whooooooot Whooooot......:)

NodakPaul
08-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Dangit. That pass was horrible. Come on Joe!

kevoncox
08-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Qb controversy :crazy:

NodakPaul
08-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Well that was a decent defensive series. All backups, but good job regardless.

NodakPaul
08-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Watching Smith now. Looks OK, although all of the plays have been away from him. Want to see what happens when he is involved.

LIKE THAT! Smith with a tackle for a loss on a reverse!

NodakPaul
08-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Christian Ponder’s stat line doesn’t jump off the page, but it was actually better than it looked.

The Vikings’ starter was 4-of-9 passing for 80 yards, leading a pair of field goal drives. But of the five incompletions, three were dropped, and the other two thrown away.
Second-year QBs impress in their own ways in San Fran | ProFootballTalk (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/10/second-year-qbs-impress-in-their-own-ways-in-san-fran/)

kevoncox
08-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Webbs mechanics seemed to have regress. He is so slow.... and deliberate.

NodakPaul
08-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Wow. That was a gift. That should have been intentional grounding. The ball landed 10 yards out of bounds and 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage with Webb still in the pocket.

NodakPaul
08-10-2012, 09:24 PM

Agreed. There is something weird here. He was much better than this last year or even his rookie year. I wonder if the coaching staff has been trying to "teach" him how to be a more traditional QB, and it has affected his natural ability.

MaxVike
08-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Coach Speak, "we are not holding anything back." Said Williams, Musgrave and Frazier. I call Bullshit...showed nothing to a team they play Wk 3. I'm fine with that...For now

Randy Moss
08-10-2012, 10:34 PM
1st O-line looked decent against the best d-line in football.

iowa
08-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Webb didn't look anything like an NFL QB, MBT on the other hand looked promising.Hopefully we don't have to use either one of these guys.

Randy Moss
08-10-2012, 10:51 PM
Webb didn't look anything like an NFL QB, MBT on the other hand looked promising.Hopefully we don't have to use either one of these guys.

I love the way MBT threw the ball. His passes looked really nice (except for the ugly interception).

Webby
08-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Dump Sage and keep MBT?

Any QB who's name can't fit on his jersey cant win. ha

MrFlix
08-11-2012, 03:16 AM
Anyone know of any sites to watch it live? Justin.tv fails now.

There are a couple out there, but I still would recommend an NFL gamepass. It's not that cheap but it's worth the money. You can watch any game at any time in full HD ( depending on your internet speed) and you can view old games upto 2-3 seasons ago plus full access to the superbowl and everything to do with it.

Now when I started watching NFL I also streamed because gamepass wasn't that big back then and it wasn't that well developped so I used streams too. But you should really concider getting it ( unless you can watch it on your home tv )

PurplePowerPunch
08-11-2012, 06:06 AM
I watched it on the good ole Laptop. Can't see the game here in Hartford, CT.

singersp
08-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Pig picking at my sisters house friday. We fly into the cities Friday morning and will drive up. Niece is getting married......I will tron ya.

What's a "Pig picking". Is that what they call a pig roast out in your neck of the woods?

singersp
08-11-2012, 08:51 AM

I noticed that too. He looks worse than last year. Ponder looks better, but still takes off running to quickly.

B-T showed some saavy & promise.

VikesfaninWis
08-11-2012, 09:01 AM
This team looks just like they did last year, flat, uninspiring, lazy, and poor fundamentals. I don't see this team doing much better this year. Now I understand that Allen, Harvin, and Peterson didn't play, but this team still looks pathetic.

The DL is nothing like it was 3-4 years ago, the LB crew is weak, and our secondary is horrible. Can't win games in this league having second rate players as starters. Unfortunately I am not very excited for this season which sucks because I am a huge football fan. Just sick of watching a stale product that does nothing.

singersp
08-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Agreed. There is something weird here. He was much better than this last year or even his rookie year. I wonder if the coaching staff has been trying to "teach" him how to be a more traditional QB, and it has affected his natural ability.

He might be. Whatever it is he's doing, decreased his performance. This is his first year coaching the Vikings QB's & he has coached McNair, Vince Young and Kerry Collins during their Pro Bowl seasons, so he might be in the middle of de-programming him from what our past coach was teaching him & trying to re-program him.

NodakPaul
08-11-2012, 09:09 AM
He might be. Whatever it is he's doing, decreased his performance. This is his first year coaching the Vikings QB's & he has coached McNair, Vince Young and Kerry Collins during their Pro Bowl seasons, so he might be in the middle of de-programming him from what our past coach was teaching him & trying to re-program him.

That is a really good point, and I can only hope that it is true.

singersp
08-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Coach Speak, "we are not holding anything back." Said Williams, Musgrave and Frazier. I call Bullshit...showed nothing to a team they play Wk 3. I'm fine with that...For now

Seems to me they held a lot of our starters back, including two of our top performers JA & Harvin.

With Jenkins & Aromashodu, what you see is what you get. Mediocrity.

Marrdro
08-11-2012, 10:29 AM
you put that on chris cook...
is this your first football game ?
That run happened because of 2 things........

1. The middle was getting gouged by the run.
2. LDE didn't hold his gap because he was crashing down to help the middle stop the run.

Of course you can't discount the nice block that was put on Cook, which Cook did a nice job of getting disengaged from.

Or, you could blame Cook.....(Sarcasm alert). :)

Marrdro
08-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Second-year QBs impress in their own ways in San Fran | ProFootballTalk (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/10/second-year-qbs-impress-in-their-own-ways-in-san-fran/)
Read that his incompletions had 3 that were off target but catch-able and 2 were throwaways. Havent' seen the re-air, but I did see on the highlights that one was actually thrown behind the receiver a bit. I think, based on the 2 defender that were in front of the receiver, that was were he intended to throw it.

Marrdro
08-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Are you kidding me? webb has 0 time to even look down field...we have no depth at offensive line. Pasztor is absolutely atrocious...this has nothing to do with his mechanics.
Hmmm, MBT had even more scrubs in front of him and he managed to look OK. In the end, isn't it the QB's job to make the others around him look better?

Again, I haven't seen the re-air yet, but judging by the stat-line MBT did a better job than Webb in that effort.

Marrdro
08-11-2012, 10:40 AM
What's a "Pig picking". Is that what they call a pig roast out in your neck of the woods?

Well, you do have to roast him, but when he's done you pick him.....:)

Marrdro
08-11-2012, 10:45 AM
I noticed that too. He looks worse than last year. Ponder looks better, but still takes off running to quickly.

B-T showed some saavy & promise.

I think that as we watch the staff try to make Joe into a "Throwing" QB, his instincts will start to be hindered. Nothing new, we saw that with the last QB that was more of a runner than a thrower.

In the end, its why he is never going to be anything more than a backup. It will take to many years to get him into that mode were his instincts are different than what they are now.

MaxVike
08-11-2012, 10:46 AM

Seems to me they held a lot of our starters back, including two of our top performers JA & Harvin.

With Jenkins & Aromashodu, what you see is what you get. Mediocrity.

Yes, that's exactly what I was saying...Meaning, the coaches didn't do what they said they would do; "coach speak."

Marrdro
08-11-2012, 10:47 AM
This team looks just like they did last year, flat, uninspiring, lazy, and poor fundamentals. I don't see this team doing much better this year. Now I understand that Allen, Harvin, and Peterson didn't play, but this team still looks pathetic.

The DL is nothing like it was 3-4 years ago, the LB crew is weak, and our secondary is horrible. Can't win games in this league having second rate players as starters. Unfortunately I am not very excited for this season which sucks because I am a huge football fan. Just sick of watching a stale product that does nothing.

I hear ya my friend, but what do you expect from a young team? I would love to see them start lighting it up, but until we get some better coaching in here, that's what we are going to have to watch.

Alot of young kids trying their asses off with very little in the way of help that will get them better.

In the end, I love the talent on the team. Just wish we had someone who can develop it.

iowa
08-11-2012, 11:07 AM
I thought there were several positives from the game.Rudolph looks like he's going to be a real weapon, potential to be "gronkish", starting o-line looked improved, Ellison looked better than expected.Of course their was plenty not to like, it's the first preseason game for a very young team playing against a super bowl caliber team, too early for fans to get depressed, we're gonna have more success than last year !

mountainviking
08-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Vikings Preseason 1 @ 49ers
It’s now a very, very young team. I read somewhere that over half of our 90 man team are either 1st or 2nd year players!! IF that ain’t rebuilding, I don’t know what is. At least we have a few guys we can count on…

As for sitting vets, remember, the 49ers were sitting several players too. But I expect this preseason to be extra extra vanilla anyway since we get to play 2 of the 4 teams we play in games that don’t matter again when it does. Doh, extra boring...

Special Teams looks better so far…starting at the 15 sounds so much better to the defense than the 25 or 30!!

Awesome 52 yard pass off the play action fake, but Dang!! That Drop by Jerome Simpson sure kills that first drive’s momentum! He makes that and we’re likely looking at 2nd and short and an easy 1st down into the redzone with the push the OL was getting and the strength Toby brings forward! Which, by the way was against the no.1 rush defense from last year.

Doh! Another F’n DROP!! By my count that’s 3 off WR’s hands, 1 each for Simpson, Burton, & Jenkins…lucky none were INTs. DOH!

Yeah. Run D was as ugly as I’ve seen in a long while!

Rudolf could be a stud. (Crosses fingers and makes eye-closed wishing face)

Yeah Gerhart!! Knock that blitzing LBer right over!!! The Great White Pipes just might come in handy after all! ;) And then he goes into BeAsT mode on 3rd and 6 for 20 yards of running people over!!! NICE!!!

Ponder does seem to be making his reads a bit faster, and overall, I’m seeing a nice rhythm from the first string offense against a very good defense. Progress. But the WRs still kinda suck...we've got a bunch of no.3 type guys, but still no true no.1. So, who's going to be the best WR to draft next season? ;)

Hey, at least we have FOOTBALL!! SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!

MrFlix
08-11-2012, 01:28 PM
I thought the game wasn't without it flaws, but even tho the loss, I think Ponder showed that he has improved and can lead this team. He will still make mistakes but he showed some signs of improvment. Now beside that I think the next 3 pre-season games are important for a Vikings to get an idea on where they stand.

As a young team you have to learn to play together again, normally you have more vets to build around so give them a chance to grow.

This game wasn't what I expected either, I hoped for a bit "more". Watching the offence it was what I hoped to see maybe not fully but from what I saw I know they can get to that point but what I saw from the D, man at some point I had to bite my lip.

But I don't think we should start calling them lazy, uninspiring, ... now it's time to support your team and give constructive critisism so that they have a chance to improve in the pre-season.

Freakout
08-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Offensively I thought we looked good considering no Peterson, Harvin, or Carlson.

Defensively I saw guys just not staying in their lane or keeping outside contain. Still no Kevin, Jared, Winfield, and even the rookie Josh Robinson.

My biggest problem is still SANFORD. Get him the hell off the damn field. Both he and Raymond looked awful.

jargomcfargo
08-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Some positives.
Ponder looked a little better. Good to see him throw the ball away at times. Needs to learn to slide feet first.
O-line looked better. Kalil got beat on a third down to kill a drive, but otherwise did ok.
Rudolph was able to get some separation, something he couldn't do last year.
The special teams appear to be much better so far.

Some negatives.
Linebackers and defensive backs were terrible. Cook was ok.
The D line were replacements to some extent, but didn't look any better.
Vikings still have a lot of receivers competing for the Troy Williamson trophy.

But it's just pre-season so it's hard to draw many conclusions. One thing seems evident. If the defense doesn't improve, it will be another very long season.

Randy Moss
08-11-2012, 01:42 PM
+ The starting o-line held its own against the best defensive line in the game
+ Blair Walsh was 2/2 and all of his kickoffs were 6+ yards deep in the end zone
+ Ponder made a big play and had a couple nice throws
+ Seems like Ponder and Rudolph are developing some chemistry
+ Toby looked pretty good out there, especially on that one run
+ MBT throws a really nice ball
+ Our run defense was so bad that it didn't give the 49ers a chance to expose our pass defense

- Ponder was too eager to take off running on a couple plays. The O-line gave him time.
- I don't need to go into depth about how horrific the run defense was. That angle that Mistral Raymond took on the Jacobs run was just awful
- We couldn't finish drives
- Webb was bad. He'll never be a legit NFL QB. We should find another position for him or let him go.
- PA was kind of obnoxious

jargomcfargo
08-11-2012, 05:06 PM
+ The starting o-line held its own against the best defensive line in the game
+ Blair Walsh was 2/2 and all of his kickoffs were 6+ yards deep in the end zone
+ Ponder made a big play and had a couple nice throws
+ Seems like Ponder and Rudolph are developing some chemistry
+ Toby looked pretty good out there, especially on that one run
+ MBT throws a really nice ball
+ Our run defense was so bad that it didn't give the 49ers a chance to expose our pass defense

- Ponder was too eager to take off running on a couple plays. The O-line gave him time.
- I don't need to go into depth about how horrific the run defense was. That angle that Mistral Raymond took on the Jacobs run was just awful
- We couldn't finish drives
- Webb was bad. He'll never be a legit NFL QB. We should find another position for him or let him go.
- PA was kind of obnoxious

Agree with everything. Especially PA.

TheAnimal93
08-11-2012, 06:29 PM
1st preseason game and the complaining is in mid-season form. lol:clap:

Marrdro
08-11-2012, 06:37 PM
1st preseason game and the complaining is in mid-season form. lol:clap:
LOL, when was the last time I told you that you cracked me up my friend. :)

NordicNed
08-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Is that two TB's and two FG's for our boy? We should have jettisoned Shortwell years ago. :)

Nice to read the rookie has been doing so well in camp and now in his first NFL Game, even though it was pre-season. I expect good things from this young man this season, sure can't hurt us any....

NordicNed
08-11-2012, 06:46 PM
LOL, when was the last time I told you that you cracked me up my friend. :) Pre season? I thought I was reading week 3 feedback...LOL

MossMems
08-11-2012, 07:24 PM
That was one tough game to watch.

We finally got a kicker that can actually kick. And got rid of an ex-packer. Thats about the only good news.

Our D is sooooo bad. If the Wilf's had any sense they should have dumped Fraizer. For having been a DB himself, he knows NOTHING about coaching DB's or picking them.

And San Fran rested alot of their good players too. They actually looked ready to play. Unlike the Vikes.

It sure would be nice to have a WR worth a dump (other then PH). Glad Spielman did such a good job this offseason about getting someone for Ponder to throw the ball to.

vikesrgreat2
08-12-2012, 05:33 AM
I agree that the complaining is absolutely in mid-season form! I'm not going to worry at all about a week 1 preseason game. If the Vikings' run defense gives up 260 yards in the Week 3 preseason game (when the starters likely play well into the second half), then that will be a cause for concern. Until then, a 17-6 week 1 preseason lioss should be no reason to panic.

That being said, if the defense (which is Frazier's specailty) does not improve, then I agree it will be a long season for the Vikings. If that happens, and if Frazier gets fired, then it will take that much longer to properly retool the team. Personally, I'm not sure that a coaching change at the end of the year, no matter what happens, would be value-added to the Vikings.

Just my thoughts, for what they're worth. Everyone have a GREAT day today!

digital420
08-12-2012, 05:59 AM
right.. 1st pre-season game.. what did we expect to see? KAO gen 2??? maybe flat out dominating performance?

no.. what we see is a group of guys trying to put on tape what they've been shown, taught, and practiced..

what's on tape?
everyone agrees about ponder, oline, toby..

i only watched the first half as it was 5 am, and had a meeting at 9 am..

I like our TE's.. IF this is the way to go. core 2-3 te's, RB/fb , maybe 1-2 wr.. with simpson/harvin i can live with this... for now..

rookie kicker = so far so good.. everyone loves his deep kicks.. he's 2/2 but, i reserve the praise yet as those were makeable fg's.. i hear/read he was kicking 50 yrd fg's in the wind pregame.. we'll see his name often this year so i'll grade that one come december..

in general this game was nothing more then a situational practice with another team. not enouf to value/grade anyone, and just enouf for (hopes at least) coaches to quickly adjust players to their positions. ie.. why were you there and you were supposed to be here.. or.. if you do this then you'd be in place to make that play.. it's one thing to do it in practice vs the guys you see day in/day out and know their moves..

can't remember who was defending that TD to the corner.. but you know the guy is going to the corner.. HAD he just ever briefly saw where the ball was it was a very defendable play.. these are mistakes i can accept in the pre-season.. here your supposed to make mistakes.. learn from them and be better!!!

ohh, by the way.. firstrow is a great place for streams.. for those of us oustide the us.. gamepass is good, but it's 5 min delay destroys my ritual of talking with dad back home as we both watch the game.. if you need a link. pm me and i can show you a few places to watch.. been doing this for 9 years now devotedly.. though i had to stop streaming as i dont have the bandwidth anymore.. (moved out of athens into a village)

was good to see the Vikes play!! even though it was a glorified scrimage
DiGiTaL

singersp
08-12-2012, 09:11 AM
I hear ya my friend, but what do you expect from a young team? I would love to see them start lighting it up, but until we get some better coaching in here, that's what we are going to have to watch.

Whatever happened to your "Don't blame the coaches for the players failure to do their job & execute the plays" philosophy?

singersp
08-12-2012, 09:20 AM
I think that as we watch the staff try to make Joe into a "Throwing" QB, his instincts will start to be hindered. Nothing new, we saw that with the last QB that was more of a runner than a thrower.

You do know that Ponder ran the ball just as much as Webb did, even though Webb was in the game almost 3 times longer, don't you?

Don't kid yourself, Ponder doesn't hesitate to take off running & way to easily.

singersp
08-12-2012, 09:29 AM

The touchbacks are great, but lets wait until he kicks some FG's a little longer than 39 & 26 yards before slobbering all over him.

vikinggreg
08-12-2012, 01:21 PM
You do know that Ponder ran the ball just as much as Webb did, even though Webb was in the game almost 3 times longer, don't you?

Don't kid yourself, Ponder doesn't hesitate to take off running way to easily.

If you look at the ratio of rush attempts to pass attempts for both Webb and Ponder, Ponder is in the 10% neighbourhood while Webb was first year 20% and 35% last season.

Not so sure about the 3 times longer since Ponder took 18 snaps and Webb took 14.

But I can see where Marty is coming from as Webb didn't seem to be as comfortable (or natural) and I think he was holding to a pass first over lets go and get something done now.
But it is only the first preseason game and is difficult to tell with the limited....well everything, play calling and support players around both guys, especially since the Vikings will be facing the niners early in the season.

Marrdro
08-12-2012, 03:55 PM
The touchbacks are great, but lets wait until he kicks some FG's a little longer than 39 & 26 yards before slobbering all over him.
You do realize how windy it was, mixed in with it being his first kick in the NFL, don't you?

In the end, I'm not slobbering, your just pissed you don't have a "Proven" name you recognize on the roster performing kicking duties.....:)

Marrdro
08-12-2012, 03:58 PM

Don't kid yourself, Ponder doesn't hesitate to take off running way to easily.
What the heck in the wide wide world of sports does that have to do with anything?

Said it many times, but I will say it again just to make sure you remember......Our variant of the WCO requires the QB to be a bit mobile, and yes, to even get underway/shift colors if he has to. That's why they get hurt so much.

So, keeping that in mind, I don't think I've ever said anything bad about any of our QB's running. All I'm saying here is that Joe's first instinct is to run then pass when it needs to be the other way around, you know, kindof like Ponder.

Marrdro
08-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Whatever happened to your "Don't blame the coaches for the players failure to do their job & execute the plays" philosophy?
What? Didn't I say the I blame both, but when it comes to Ponder (and the rest of this team) I am going to blame the coaches first, not the players.

I think your getting confused again. Old age I think. Your still my pal though.....:)

Marrdro
08-12-2012, 04:01 PM
right.. 1st pre-season game.. what did we expect to see? KAO gen 2??? maybe flat out dominating performance?

Good to see an old friend posting again. Top shelf my friend, top shelf indeed. :)

Marrdro
08-12-2012, 04:02 PM
If you look at the ratio of rush attempts to pass attempts for both Webb and Ponder, Ponder is in the 10% neighbourhood while Webb was first year 20% and 35% last season.

Not so sure about the 3 times longer since Ponder took 18 snaps and Webb took 14.

But I can see where Marty is coming from as Webb didn't seem to be as comfortable (or natural) and I think he was holding to a pass first over lets go and get something done now.
But it is only the first preseason game and is difficult to tell with the limited....well everything, play calling and support players around both guys, especially since the Vikings will be facing the niners early in the season.
Looked at em all........Your at the top of all spreadsheets so I can't move you up anymore, however, just in case, .......Excellent post my friend. :)

Marrdro
08-12-2012, 04:06 PM
I agree that the complaining is absolutely in mid-season form! I'm not going to worry at all about a week 1 preseason game. If the Vikings' run defense gives up 260 yards in the Week 3 preseason game (when the starters likely play well into the second half), then that will be a cause for concern. Until then, a 17-6 week 1 preseason lioss should be no reason to panic.

That being said, if the defense (which is Frazier's specailty) does not improve, then I agree it will be a long season for the Vikings. If that happens, and if Frazier gets fired, then it will take that much longer to properly retool the team. Personally, I'm not sure that a coaching change at the end of the year, no matter what happens, would be value-added to the Vikings.

Just my thoughts, for what they're worth. Everyone have a GREAT day today!

OK, didn't have you on any spread sheet. Consider yourself added as well as tracked from now on.

Loved your initial thought on judging the defense come week 3, however, I will caution you to take a look at the trend that has been set over the last 3 years. I suspect that the new coords idea of rotating the guys to keep them fresh won't have the desired result. All teams will do is continue to run at the undersized (albeit fast) DLmen which will force us to do exactly what Reed did......

Overcompensate/try to help hold a gap that isn't his which will then result in huge plays like we saw from Kap.

Again, good post and I agree. To early to tell, but my guess is we will see the defense continue to degrade in the run stopping area and it will trickle down to the pass defense as well.

Marrdro
08-12-2012, 04:07 PM
49ers defensive player-by-player review vs. Vikings (http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/49ers-defensive-player-by-player-review-?blockID=755641&feedID=2800)

An outsiders look at things.....Interesting in that they actually reference the Viking player they lined up against.

singersp
08-12-2012, 10:54 PM
You do realize how windy it was, mixed in with it being his first kick in the NFL, don't you?

In the end, I'm not slobbering, your just pissed you don't have a "Proven" name you recognize on the roster performing kicking duties.....:)

Nah, I'm not pissed at all. You of all people know how I hated kicks from Longwell that land at the 15.

I hope this kid does great, but he didn't do so well last year. All I'm saying is wait until the guy actually proves himself first. A 26 & 39 yarder mean nothing if the kid can't boot them in for a FG from further out. A 26 yarder is only 6 yards further than an extra point.

singersp
08-12-2012, 10:59 PM

Ponder was in for 2 series, Webb was in for 5.

12purplepride28
08-13-2012, 12:38 AM

Well he can only kick what he's given to kick. He's been drilling them from 60 in practice and warmups. Yes, I realize that's not a game, but it's all he has had the opportunity to do so far.

jargomcfargo
08-13-2012, 12:59 AM
49ers defensive player-by-player review vs. Vikings (http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/49ers-defensive-player-by-player-review-?blockID=755641&feedID=2800)

An outsiders look at things.....Interesting in that they actually reference the Viking player they lined up against.
Interesting to see how much better their back ups seem to be than ours! If I were a reporter I would ask Spielman why.

singersp
08-13-2012, 06:05 AM
Well he can only kick what he's given to kick. He's been drilling them from 60 in practice and warmups. Yes, I realize that's not a game, but it's all he has had the opportunity to do so far.

Obviously he can only kick what's given to him. Just saying before some people start talking about how great he is, they should wait until he actually kicks a few on game day longer than 40 yards when it counts.

We all know he's capable of kicking them really far, as he's shown in practice, just like he did last year in practice, but when it came to regular season games, he was 21 of 35 & in 2008 he was 15/23.

I'm hoping he's out of that funk he was in last year & returns to 2009-2010 form & is great for us for years to come, but as everyone here should already know, practice & preseason doesn't always carry over to the regular season.

How many times have we seen players have a great camp, make the team & then under perform come regular season?

singersp
08-13-2012, 06:53 AM
Winners and losers from Vikings’ preseason opener

Vikings Now» Blog Archive » Winners and losers from Vikings’ preseason opener (http://blogs.twincities.com/vikings/2012/08/11/winners-and-losers-from-vikings-preseason-opener/)

NodakPaul
08-13-2012, 10:06 AM
Ponder was in for 2 series, Webb was in for 5.

That doesn't mean that Webb was in for longer that Ponder. The argument that Ponder took off running too easily, especially when compared to Webb, doesn't hold water. And Webb certainly didn't play 3 times as much as Ponder.

Ponder's first series took 6 plays and lasted 2:26. It went 59 yards, had 1 first down, and ended in a FG.
Ponder's second series took 13 plays (including one penalty) and lasted 6:07. It went 75 yards, had 4 first downs, and ended in a FG.
Total: 19 plays, 8:33, 134 yards, 5 first downs, and 2 FGs. In that time Ponder scrambled twice (both in the second drive) for a net gain of 7 yards.

Webb's first series took 3 plays and lasted 1:06. It went 8 yards, had no first downs, and ended in a punt.
Webb's second series took 4 plays and lasted 2:02. It went 18 yards, had one first down, and ended in a punt.
Webb's third series took 5 plays and lasted 0:51. It went 13 yards, had one first down, and ended in a punt. The first down (and 11 yards) were the result of a DI penalty.
Webb's fourth series took 6 plays and lasted 2:22. It went 14 yards, had one first down, and ended in a punt.
Webb's fifth series took 5 plays and lasted 2:28. It went 13 yards, had one first down, and ended in a punt.
Total: 23 plays, 7:49, 66 yards, 4 first downs, and 5 punts. In that time Webb also scrambled twice.

In the end they played for a very comparable amount of time and snaps. And neither one was quick to scramble IMHO. Given that both of our QBs are mobile, I like to see them make plays with their feet when the opportunity presents itself. Although Ponder needs to learn to freaking slide feet first. If anything I wished Webb would have scrambled MORE because he was largely ineffective passing.

Marrdro
08-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Nah, I'm not pissed at all. You of all people know how I hated kicks from Longwell that land at the 15.

I hope this kid does great, but he didn't do so well last year. All I'm saying is wait until the guy actually proves himself first. A 26 & 39 yarder mean nothing if the kid can't boot them in for a FG from further out. A 26 yarder is only 6 yards further than an extra point.

You see this.....

Priefer also loved that Walsh spent the pre-game showing off his leg strength in close proximity to 49ers veteran David Akers. During one sequence, Akers came up short on a pre-game kick from about 55 yards. Just behind him, Walsh responded by hammering a kick from 60-plus.

What wind? Rookie kicker Blair Walsh handled his first NFL action with poise | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/166008676.html)

Thats what I call kicker smack talk. :) I'm going to love this kid even if he misses a couple this year. In the end, he is going to grow just like the rest of the team and eventually you'll wonder why you ever doubted him.

Marrdro
08-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Interesting to see how much better their back ups seem to be than ours! If I were a reporter I would ask Spielman why.
I hear ya, but you have to remember one thing, they haven't changed much since last year. Most of their backups are more familiar with the scheme than some of our starters.

With that in mind I would expect to see their players more comfortable with what the staff is trying to do.

Marrdro
08-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Alright, what the heck did you do with my good friend 12PP28? He and I very seldom agree on things like young rookies replacing old vets.....:)

JK, excellent post my friend. Take a look at the quote I just posted in a reply to Singer. Kid was out kicking (messing with his head) the old vet. :)