PDA

View Full Version : Where We Re-Look The Wide Receiver Corps

Marrdro
08-08-2012, 12:28 PM
In light of the devastating injury (http://www.dailynorseman.com/2012/8/6/3222566/can-eric-sugarman-and-company-work-another-miracle) suffered by Greg Childs, let's re-look this. After the jump.

Where We Re-Look The Wide Receiver Corps - Daily Norseman (http://www.dailynorseman.com/2012/8/6/3224269/where-we-re-look-the-wide-receiver-corps)

Not sure about all of you, but I'm just not that concerned over the loss of Childs. Sure, he looked to be a steal, but in all seriousness, ole Musgrove is still intent on running multiple TE's sets with 2 backs in the back field.

How many WR's do you need on the roster for a offensive system like that? Heck, in certain circumstances we might not even need a WR on the field if he runs out a 2-3 (1, RB, 1 FB/H-back/3 TE's) set and if he runs out a 2-2 (1 RB, 1 FB-H-back, 2 TE's) your still only going to need one WR.

On a side note, if Burton can't step up and fill the role, I sure wouldn't be apposed to Ole Leslie calling his good friend Mike (you know, over there in Pittsburg) and see what he can give him for a certain WR that won't sign his tender.

Mike Wallace Stats - Pittsburgh Steelers - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12601/mike-wallace)

Around the same age as the teams corps members. Only getting better. Just big and strong enough to work the middle as well as stretch it a bit if needed.

jargomcfargo
08-08-2012, 02:44 PM
They are really just looking for someone to fill in for Simpson for 3 weeks. They were wanting someone with speed to stretch the field, that's why they were hoping Childs would work out.
Even though he is short, I would like to see them move Jarius over there for a try.
He's fast enough to open things up underneath for Harvin and the tight ends. They could try Burton but they have him in the slot for some reason.

But I tend to agree with you that Musgrave will run his dink and drop offense into a stacked box.

Dibbzz
08-08-2012, 10:33 PM
My thinking is that if the Vikings Front Office thought we needed help at Wide Receiver we would have either made a move for Wallace or signed a free agent (ala Plaxico Burress) already. I think their line of thinking is to build the team through the draft. Childs had potential but he had injury issues in college and it was a gamble in drafting him. I think we'll hold off on addressing Receiver until next year, sadly. Even though I think adding Burress would help Ponder's development I don't think the Vikings want to dive into free agency for financial reasons.

vikinggreg
08-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Could Vikings Look Next Door for a Wide Receiver… Dare We Say Green Bay? (http://thevikingage.com/2012/08/05/could-vikings-look-next-door-for-a-wide-receiver-dare-we-say-green-bay/)

Vikings general manager Rick Spielman tried to pry Gurley away from the Packers practice squad towards the end of last season only to have Gurley get a raise from Ted Thompson with a shot at making the team for the 2012 season. Gurley has bulked his 6’4” frame up to 232 pounds

I wonder if Spielman will try and wait to make another move to get Gurley, he's more of a young gun to fill the spot of Childs than bringing in an older gun like Plax or big $$ gun like Wallace.

Or it could be they are ready to roll with Arceneaux or Burton, I guess since both have made it to the active roster last year from the practice squad

Heck if Webb is having problems and Bethel-Thompson could displace him move Webb back to wr with his 6' 4" he can replace Childs....I don't think that will happen but Spielman more than likely grab a young guy like Gurley as teams trim down to the final roster........ or he'll bring in point guard try football out to get some fans' IBS flaring up

Marrdro
08-10-2012, 08:22 PM
could vikings look next door for a wide receiver… dare we say green bay? (http://thevikingage.com/2012/08/05/could-vikings-look-next-door-for-a-wide-receiver-dare-we-say-green-bay/)

i wonder if spielman will try and wait to make another move to get gurley, he's more of a young gun to fill the spot of childs than bringing in an older gun like plax or big $$ gun like wallace.

puke puke choke choke gasp gasp......:)

Marrdro
08-10-2012, 08:24 PM
My thinking is that if the Vikings Front Office thought we needed help at Wide Receiver we would have either made a move for Wallace or signed a free agent (ala Plaxico Burress) already. I think their line of thinking is to build the team through the draft. Childs had potential but he had injury issues in college and it was a gamble in drafting him. I think we'll hold off on addressing Receiver until next year, sadly. Even though I think adding Burress would help Ponder's development I don't think the Vikings want to dive into free agency for financial reasons.

Good post my friend. I think either Burton or Arceneaux could fill the role and judging by what Burton has done so far tonight could be a good indicator they might just stay in house and pick one of those two.

Only concern with Burton is he hasn't really stayed healthy.