PDA

View Full Version : Pre-TC Look at Vikings' 2012 Roster

mountainviking
06-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Pelissero: Vikings may look better on paper, but division is daunting | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Pelissero_Vikings_may_look_better_on_paper_but_division_is_daunting062412)

Kind of a nice update on the who's who of our 90 man offseason roster, where the battles are taking place, and where injuries already look like a problem (ie. MLB)

On Sunday, Spielman pointed to the Vikings' defensive backs, receivers, tight ends and offensive line as four groups that looked significantly improved at last week's minicamp than they did at the end of last season.

Pretty sure he had that same list of positions in front of him before FA and the draft, so that comment seems a lil like a slap on his own back! ;)

But, it does look better on paper, especially the competition at DB and WR, where there looks to be some tough cuts coming. I don't see Jenkins getting cut tho, as he fits his role so well, as the big, blocking/possession guy who did have a lot of catches for us last year. IF we keep him with Harvin and Simpson, that leaves only 2 (maybe 3) spots open with 9 guys fighting for them!!

Right now, MLB looks to be our biggest remaining HOLE. The heir-apparent hasn't been on the field and I can't imagine we're going to roll into the season with a rookie starting. Might be time to go ahead and bring back EJ, or take a look at Gary Brackett or ??? Thing is, those guys are the same age with the same years in the league...why wouldn't we stick with the guy who already knows "the language?"

Marrdro
06-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Here is what I was working on before OTA's.

Rookie Free Agents (13)

DE Kevin Cyrille, CB Bobby Felder, WR Kamar Jorden, DE Eric Latimore, LB Tyler Nielson, DE Ernest Owusu, LB Corey Paredes, OG Austin Pasztor, DT Tydreke Powell, DT Terrell Resonno, C Quentin Saulsberry, OT Darrion Weems, CB C.C. Whitlock

Pro/College Tryouts (4)

DT Chase Baker, RB Derrick Coleman, G Tyler Holmes, DE Anthony Jacobs

Pre-Draft Signees (6)

FB Matt Asiata, QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson, LB Solomon Elimimian, WR Kerry Taylor, CB Nick Taylor, OL Jose Valdez

Returning Veterans (47)

CB Asher Allen, DE Jared Allen, WR Manny Arceneaux, WR Devin Aromashodu, DL Christian Ballard, OL Joe Berger, LB Jasper Brinkley, OL Pat Brown, CB Brandon Burton, WR Stephen Burton, CB Chris Cook, LB Larry Dean, OG Chris DeGeare, FB Ryan D’Imperio, DT Fred Evans, S Eric Frampton, OL Brandon Fusco, RB Toby Gerhart, LB Chad Greenway, DE Everson Griffen, DT Letroy Guion, WR Percy Harvin, LB Erin Henderson, WR Michael Jenkins, OL Charlie Johnson, P Chris Kluwe, RT Phil Loadholt, LS Cullen Loeffler, OT DeMarcus Love, LB Tyrone McKenzie, RB Adrian Peterson, QB Christian Ponder, S Mistral Raymond, DE D’Aundre Reed, TE Allen Reisner, DE Brian Robison, QB Sage Rosenfels, TE Kyle Rudolph, S Jamarca Sanford, S Andrew Sendejo, CB Marcus Sherels, TE Mickey Shuler, C John Sullivan, RB Jordan Todman, QB Joe Webb, DT Kevin Williams, CB Antoine Winfield

Marrdro
06-28-2012, 11:09 AM
To big for one post.......

53 Man Roster/Starters/Backups
Cut

QB

Christian Ponder

Joe Webb

Sage Rosenfels
Bethel-Thompson, McLeod
QB

RB

Adrian Peterson
Todman, Jordan
RB

Toby Gerhart
Coleman, Derrick
RB

Lex Hilliard

D'Imperio, Ryan
LB

Fullbacks/H-Backs
Felton, Jerome
RB/FB

Rhett Ellison
Asiata, Matt
RB/FB

WR

Percy Harvin
Taylor, Kerry
WR

Michael Jenkins
Walters, Bryan
WR

Jerome Simpson
Arceneaux, Emmanuel
WR

Greg Childs
Aromashodu, Devin
WR

Jarius Wright
Jorden, Kamar
WR

Burton, Stephen
WR

TE

Kyle Rudolph
Shuler, Mickey
TE

John Carlson

Allen Reisner

Tackles

Matt Kalil
Murphy., Kevin
T

Phil Loadholt
Weems, Darrion
T

DeMarcus Love
Holmes, Tyler
T /G

Patrick Brown

Guards

Charlie Johnson
Pasztor, Austin
G

Geoff Schwartz
Saulsberry, Quentin
G /C

Chris DeGeare
Brandon Fusco
G/C

Centers

John Sullivan

Joe Berger

Marrdro
06-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Cornerbacks

Chris Cook
Taylor, Nick
CB

Antoine Winfield
Felder, Bobby
DB

Josh Robinson
Sherels, Marcus
DB

Chris Carr
Jones, Reggie
DB

Zack Bowman
Burton, Brandon
DB

Asher Allen
Whitlock, C.C.
DB

Safeties

Harrison Smith
Sendejo, Andrew
S

Mistral Raymond

Robert Blanton

Jamarca Sanford

Eric Frampton

Defensive Ends

Jared Allen
Cyrille, Kevin
DE

Brian Robison
Owusu, Ernest
DE

Everson Griffen
Jacobs, Anthony
DE

DeAundre Reed
Latimore, Eric
DE

Reed, Nick
DE

Defensive Tackles

Kevin Williams
Powell, Tydreke
DT

Letroy Guion
Resonno, Terrell
DT

Christian Ballard
Baker, Chase
DT

Fred Evans

Guyton, Trevor

Middle Linebackers

Jasper Brinkley
Dean, Larry
LB

Audie Cole
McKenzie, Tyrone
LB

Mitchell, Marvin
LB

Outside Linebackers
Paredes, Corey
LB

Chad Greenway
D'Imperio, Ryan
LB/FB

Erin Henderson

Tyler Nielsen

Solomon Elimimian

ST's

Blair Walsh

Chris Kluwe

Cullen Loeffler

Practice Squad

Marrdro
06-28-2012, 11:24 AM
After breaking that up, I tend to agree with the Mountain Man that the Mike might be about the only position this year that concerns me, but I like some of the options we have there. Really excited to see what Cole looks like.

Audie Cole | North Carolina State, ILB : 2012 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=69391&draftyear=2012&genpos=ILB)

Audie Cole, ILB, North Carolina State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1272213/audie-cole)

Scout.com: Draft in-depth: LB Audie Cole (http://min.scout.com/2/1181967.html)

One thing to consider when we talk about LB'rs and depth. If you take a look at our new D-coord, I think you might see that we will see a small tweak to our defense. It won't be in the base, we will still see the 4-3, but I think he is going to insert "Packages" that won't have the Mike on the field very much.

mountainviking
06-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Everything I'm seeing has Fusco getting all the no.1 reps at RG so far, but it could be partially due to giving Schwartz more time to heal...? Still, he also plays Center, and you know how we like multi OL backups. I think he sticks from what I'm seeing at the moment.

Cole sounds intriguing with his pass defense skills, but his speed might not be as effective vs. NFL caliber players. He does have the size tho, so with some coaching up...maybe next year?

I think Everson Griffen could be a cool fit for some MLB. He's bigger and faster than Cole, and maybe Brinkley too, and would give us a lil bit of potential for a versatile 3-4/4-3 look. On blitz packages he's got better pass rush moves than either of the other candidates too.

Hasn't Erin Henderson already called some plays for us? I swear I heard about him doing some of that last year...? IF our CBs can stay healthy for a change, more nickel might be a good idea. Gotta love how well Winfield plays vs. the slot, and we might actually have better speed outside with the other guys at this point.

SKOL VIKINGS!!!

mountainviking
06-28-2012, 12:45 PM
...hmm, Cole played much of last year with a broken right hand in a cast. That could likely make your tape look a lil loose and drop you come draft day...could be a bargain.

Another gamble on an injured player tho...seems we've done a ton of that this off season: Gamble on guy's returns from injury and/or suspensions. It's one way to pull off a quick turn around, if enough of your bets win. But I wouldn't want to dip my hand in that pot too often.

tastywaves
06-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Asher Allen retired. The 5-6 cornerback spots should be pretty open, with Zack being vulnerable. He probably does make it though due to experience.

The linebacker positions seem to be the least emphasized this offseason (MLB and depth). No doubt there is concern, just focused on higher priority areas first...secondary, WR, OL.

tastywaves
06-28-2012, 12:54 PM
...hmm, Cole played much of last year with a broken right hand in a cast. That could likely make your tape look a lil loose and drop you come draft day...could be a bargain.

Another gamble on an injured player tho...seems we've done a ton of that this off season: Gamble on guy's returns from injury and/or suspensions. It's one way to pull off a quick turn around, if enough of your bets win. But I wouldn't want to dip my hand in that pot too often.

I think he will get plenty of opportunity for playing time due to current roster. If he's capable, he'll get his chance. Good situation for him.

Freakout
06-28-2012, 01:02 PM
After breaking that up, I tend to agree with the Mountain Man that the Mike might be about the only position this year that concerns me, but I like some of the options we have there. Really excited to see what Cole looks like.

Audie Cole*|*North Carolina State,*ILB*:*2012 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=69391&draftyear=2012&genpos=ILB)

Audie Cole, ILB, North Carolina State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1272213/audie-cole)

One thing to consider when we talk about LB'rs and depth. If you take a look at our new D-coord, I think you might see that we will see a small tweak to our defense. It won't be in the base, we will still see the 4-3, but I think he is going to insert "Packages" that won't have the Mike on the field very much.

You are already kind of forced to play so much nickle with all the pass heavy teams especially in our division.

Freakout
06-28-2012, 01:09 PM

Audie Cole*|*North Carolina State,*ILB*:*2012 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=69391&draftyear=2012&genpos=ILB)

You are already kind of forced to play so much nickle with all the pass heavy teams especially in our division.