PDA

View Full Version : Jerome Simpson WR

Minniman
05-21-2012, 12:39 PM
The Minnesota Vikings signed former Bengals receiver Jerome Simpson on April 24th. Simpson is a 2008 second round draft pick that had a good season in 2011 snagging 50 receptions for 725 yards and four touchdowns.

Simpson was found guilty of a drugs charge and has been suspended for the first three games of the 2012 season, but he has skill and was signed to a one year deal by the Vikings. The Vikings are willing to give Simpson a second chance, but they are limiting their risk.

Any PPO thoughts on this free agent pick up?

C Mac D
05-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Ah... this cracked me up. Great post.

This topic was discussed a month ago: http://www.purplepride.org/f73/jerome-simpson-visiting-vikings-today-1109938/index4.html

Minniman
05-21-2012, 04:22 PM
I guess I didn't go back far enough for that smokin' topic.

Now that the Vikings have him signed, and the draft yielded some wide receivers, what do you think about this acquisition?

i_bleed_purple
05-21-2012, 11:49 PM
I think he'll stay, we're VERY thin at WR, and Simpson has some raw talent. He's an athletic guy,a nd if he can stay concentrated on football and play to his potential, he COULD be a decent option. That's a big if though, but crazier things have happened.

Vikings knew about the potential for a suspension when they signed him, so this shouldn't be a deterrant at this point.

kevoncox
05-22-2012, 06:46 PM
I' m not big on the signing because its bad business for us. 3 things may happen this season:

1. Simpson has a break out year with 1200 and 10 tds, and his signing price next season will be 24mill guareenteed.
2. Simpson does nothing and was a bad pick up
3. Simpson is average and neither helps or hurts us but is just a body.

If either of these happen, the long term health of the team is no better. It was all risk no reward signing. If we are confident he is the player his is we should have offered him a 4 year 10 million dollar offer and hope that he breaks out.

12purplepride28
05-22-2012, 08:22 PM
I' m not big on the signing because its bad business for us. 3 things may happen this season:

1. Simpson has a break out year with 1200 and 10 tds, and his signing price next season will be 24mill guareenteed.
2. Simpson does nothing and was a bad pick up
3. Simpson is average and neither helps or hurts us but is just a body.

If either of these happen, the long term health of the team is no better. It was all risk no reward signing. If we are confident he is the player his is we should have offered him a 4 year 10 million dollar offer and hope that he breaks out.

That's stupid logic that can be applied to any free agent signing.

kevoncox
05-22-2012, 11:56 PM
That's stupid logic that can be applied to any free agent signing.
No its logic you apply to 1 year deals.

12purplepride28
05-23-2012, 01:33 AM
No its logic you apply to 1 year deals.

You left out the scenario where he helps Ponder develop and gain confidence. 1 year deals are very common in the NFL. Maybe he breaks out and we sign him to a big contract, maybe he sucks and we let him go. Either way, we aren't going to be hurt by signing him to this contract.

YouthVikesFan
05-23-2012, 11:05 AM
You left out the scenario where he helps Ponder develop and gain confidence. 1 year deals are very common in the NFL. Maybe he breaks out and we sign him to a big contract, maybe he sucks and we let him go. Either way, we aren't going to be hurt by signing him to this contract.

I agree, you wouldnt want to sign him for a benard berrian type contract just to see it play out the same way. Get him out there for a year and see what happens

mountainviking
05-23-2012, 12:56 PM
If he can get and stay clean and focused on football, he could be one hell of a steal at 2 mill/year, and if he's looking good, we can always offer him more money mid-season. Harvin is awesome in his multi role and Jenkins is actually a really good blocking/possesion type of guy, so IMHO what we needed most was a deep threat with some legit speed and I think Simpson has it. So do Wright and Childs, but they're likely to need more development.

Odds are, one out of three flyers on a speedy reciever should work out.

kevoncox
05-23-2012, 04:55 PM

When you are at the bottom of they NFL you shouldn't be thinking about what can hurt you. You should be thinking about what can help you. Again, long term people. The best teams don't pay their players after they have had breakout years. The best teams tie up players prior to bidding wars. Why bring the guy in for 1 year only to have to bid for his services after that. Its a terrible way to build a team. Look at all the Cbs we brought in. We have starters on 1 year contacts on all level of the team. When they excel that means we will have to be bidding to keep or starters not to mention extending players that deserve it. You will run into salary cap hell or continously be losing key starters to FA. Either way, you won't be a good team. Can you name a team that was in the bottom 6 teams in the nfl that has taken a 1 year deal approach to all of their free agents? I'll wait!

seaniemck7
05-23-2012, 11:46 PM
When you are at the bottom of they NFL you shouldn't be thinking about what can hurt you. You should be thinking about what can help you. Again, long term people. The best teams don't pay their players after they have had breakout years. The best teams tie up players prior to bidding wars. Why bring the guy in for 1 year only to have to bid for his services after that. Its a terrible way to build a team. Look at all the Cbs we brought in. We have starters on 1 year contacts on all level of the team. When they excel that means we will have to be bidding to keep or starters not to mention extending players that deserve it. You will run into salary cap hell or continously be losing key starters to FA. Either way, you won't be a good team. Can you name a team that was in the bottom 6 teams in the nfl that has taken a 1 year deal approach to all of their free agents? I'll wait!

Kevon: almost all of our 1 year contracts that Ricky has handed out this year, i agree with you. However i believe Simpson is a different story. His agent knew his value this year was going to be shot to hell with his felony charge. Being out of his contract with the Bengals, i bet dollars to donuts that his agent was shopping him on a one year deal to redeem Simpson. The fact that he came to the Vikes was probably motivated by Ricky's penchant to signing 1 year deals. The guy has talent. He wanted a 1 year 'prove it' year versus a low ball multi-year deal. At least that is what i would have done if i were his agent. Otherwise he signs elsewhere.

The good thing is, if he has success, we are the front runner to sign him or extend him to a reasonble contract.

kevoncox
05-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Kevon: almost all of our 1 year contracts that Ricky has handed out this year, i agree with you. However i believe Simpson is a different story. His agent knew his value this year was going to be shot to hell with his felony charge. Being out of his contract with the Bengals, i bet dollars to donuts that his agent was shopping him on a one year deal to redeem Simpson. The fact that he came to the Vikes was probably motivated by Ricky's penchant to signing 1 year deals. The guy has talent. He wanted a 1 year 'prove it' year versus a low ball multi-year deal. At least that is what i would have done if i were his agent. Otherwise he signs elsewhere.

The good thing is, if he has success, we are the front runner to sign him or extend him to a reasonble contract.

I think he's overrated. I think the ole' flip into the endzone gained him a lot of notoriety but it doesn't change the fact that he is an average WR and deserves to be paid like one. I do agree that his agent shopped him on a 1 year deal but that doesn't mean that we have to bite. I would have rathered we plug the hole with an Early Doucet ( who i agree is not as talented as Simpson but not by much) than to be back in this same position next season. I think Childs may become a solid WR. I don't think wright will be a consistant WR at the pro level. That leaves us facing the same problems next season and a contract year for Harvin who I think bolts to a team that's not rebuilding.

seaniemck7
05-25-2012, 12:03 AM
I think he's overrated. I think the ole' flip into the endzone gained him a lot of notoriety but it doesn't change the fact that he is an average WR and deserves to be paid like one. I do agree that his agent shopped him on a 1 year deal but that doesn't mean that we have to bite. I would have rathered we plug the hole with an Early Doucet ( who i agree is not as talented as Simpson but not by much) than to be back in this same position next season. I think Childs may become a solid WR. I don't think wright will be a consistant WR at the pro level. That leaves us facing the same problems next season and a contract year for Harvin who I think bolts to a team that's not rebuilding.

i do not disagree with your logic at all. Personally I think Doucet is more of a MJenkins prototype myself and Simpson is more of an outside threat. But to that point, Doucet isn't facing a 3 game suspension. Childs, at this point, has more upside than anyone on our current roster with the idea that we know what greatness Harvin can bring. My worry, as i would guess is yours as well, is that Ricky is rolling the dice hoping to find a cheap fix with an end result of crapping out in WR department.

kevoncox
05-25-2012, 05:17 AM
i do not disagree with your logic at all. Personally I think Doucet is more of a MJenkins prototype myself and Simpson is more of an outside threat. But to that point, Doucet isn't facing a 3 game suspension. Childs, at this point, has more upside than anyone on our current roster with the idea that we know what greatness Harvin can bring. My worry, as i would guess is yours as well, is that Ricky is rolling the dice hoping to find a cheap fix with an end result of crapping out in WR department.

Something we can't do. We need a playmaker filled offense.

PackSux!
05-25-2012, 09:26 AM
Will Simpson be a UFA or a RFA after this upcoming season? I did a little searching and came up with nothing.

Hopefully a RFA IF he has a breakout season and we cant resign him during the season.

Looks like he will be a UFA after the season.

AngloVike
06-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Yes we know its only offseason OTAs.. but some of this during the season won't go amiss..

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-mini-camps/09000d5d8299ce70/Jerome-Simpson-s-sick-catch-at-minicamp

NodakPaul
06-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Yes we know its only offseason OTAs.. but some of this during the season won't go amiss..

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-mini-camps/09000d5d8299ce70/Jerome-Simpson-s-sick-catch-at-minicamp

Lol. Chris Cook got punked on that one. :) I like how Simpson went up for the ball, but that was one of those types of plays when the QB and WR weren't really on the same page. Either Simpson needs to turn on the burners and get behind the secondary (and Ponder needs to throw sooner), or Ponder needs to put that ball short and on Simpson's outside shoulder.

Johnson14
06-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Over throw from Ponder, nice grab from Simpson.. and that was Cook?!.. damn!.. i thought it had to have been a rook or something cause he got owned, damn!

seaniemck7
06-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Regardless that was pretty awesome.

singersp
06-08-2012, 05:34 AM
Simpsonís speed is making Ponder, Vikings smile

Simpson’s speed is making Ponder, Vikings smile - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/new-wide-receiver-jerome-simpsons-arrival-making-speed-deficient-vikings-smile/2012/06/07/gJQAvKLiLV_story.html)

singersp
06-08-2012, 05:35 AM
Could Jerome Simpson Be the Next Cris Carter?

Minnesota Vikings: Could Jerome Simpson Be the Next Cris Carter? | Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1212937-minnesota-vikings-could-jerome-simpson-be-the-next-cris-carter)

marshallvike
06-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Could Jerome Simpson Be the Next Cris Carter?

Minnesota Vikings: Could Jerome Simpson Be the Next Cris Carter? | Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1212937-minnesota-vikings-could-jerome-simpson-be-the-next-cris-carter)

I was kind of hoping he would be the next (almost) Randy Moss

singersp
06-09-2012, 06:41 AM
Simpsonís speed is making Ponder, Vikings smile

NFL: Simpson (http://wcfcourier.com/sports/football/nfl-simpson-s-speed-is-making-ponder-vikings-smile/article_8ad9d04c-b108-11e1-8009-0019bb2963f4.html)

Marrdro
06-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Lol. Chris Cook got punked on that one. :) I like how Simpson went up for the ball, but that was one of those types of plays when the QB and WR weren't really on the same page. Either Simpson needs to turn on the burners and get behind the secondary (and Ponder needs to throw sooner), or Ponder needs to put that ball short and on Simpson's outside shoulder.
You bring up a good point in there my friend.......Three people learned from this......

a. The cat has the athleticism to make great plays when asked. For Ponder, when the time comes (and it will) he has that little play running around in the back of his head now that says I can chuck it up and someone can make a play.

b. The other cat (Cook) has this little play running around in the back of his head so when he is in this position again, he won't relax and just think (hey I have great position on this guy) but will still be aggressive and go get the ball the way he should have done on this one.

Which leads me to the 3rd cat......., (I remember a great play by Sidney when he reached over a Giants head and took a sure fire INT way that resulted in a TD. )

c. Its nice for me as a fan to know that we have another guy on the squad that knows how to make a play even if the ball isn't thrown perfect cause sometimes the situation is going to dictate that we take a chance and hope for a play.

marshallvike
07-21-2012, 02:43 PM

It may not be a terrible strategy, signing a bunch of 1 yrs. If some of these guys do have breakout years, we may have to pay more to retain them than we would if they were signed to multi years, but if someone else decides to out bid us on a few of these guys, we will pick up a few compensatory picks to help in the next draft. Maybe that is Rick's plan all along.