PDA

View Full Version : BB Player says "NO" to Spielman

singersp
05-01-2012, 05:55 AM
Hey Rick! Stick to people that have actually played football since high school!

Jones says no to Vikings (http://www.csnbayarea.com/ncaa/news/Jones-says-no-to-Vikings?blockID=699822&feedID=10488)

kevoncox
05-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Hey Rick! Stick to people that have actually played football since high school!

Jones says no to Vikings (http://www.csnbayarea.com/ncaa/news/Jones-says-no-to-Vikings?blockID=699822&feedID=10488)

And people keep talking about how great a draft he had. Wtf. The guy is an idiot. It worked for the chargers and saints...Lets build a team with guys who never ran a College route. Fire this asshole already.

jmcdon00
05-01-2012, 02:50 PM
I can't believe he wasted a draft pick on this kid.

C Mac D
05-01-2012, 03:25 PM
I can't believe he wasted a draft pick on this kid.

Wait... what? Don't think we drafted him.

12purplepride28
05-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Wait... what? Don't think we drafted him.

That's the point. I don't know why people are getting up in arms over this stuff. It can't hurt. Bring in as much competition and athletic ability as you can and the best players will win roster spots. Singer and kevon just bitch about everything Spielman does. It gets old. Like watching Marrdro say Favre was crap for us.

jmcdon00
05-01-2012, 05:11 PM
That's the point. I don't know why people are getting up in arms over this stuff. It can't hurt. Bring in as much competition and athletic ability as you can and the best players will win roster spots. Singer and kevon just bitch about everything Spielman does. It gets old. Like watching Marrdro say Favre was crap for us.

Winner winner chicken dinner. :bow:

kevoncox
05-01-2012, 06:25 PM

We would have 3 former Basketball players on our team. If you can't seem to understand that bringing in players that haven't played football in 4 years to attempt to play NFL ball is not the best way to fill an NFL roster.....I can't help you. We were 3-13, moves like that are reserved for teams with solid rosters.

iowa
05-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Whats' the harm of bringin' some athletes to see what they got, geez, it can't hurt. It's not like we're using up roster spots on these guys.You never know where your gonna find a hidden jewel.Nobody thought much of Arian Foster, Victor Cruz, Antonio Gates etc., they seemed to turn out OK.It's football not rocket science.

12purplepride28
05-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Whats' the harm of bringin' some athletes to see what they got, geez, it can't hurt. It's not like we're using up roster spots on these guys.You never know where your gonna find a hidden jewel.Nobody thought much of Arian Foster, Victor Cruz, Antonio Gates etc., they seemed to turn out OK.It's football not rocket science.

Exactly my point. No harm is coming, not like they are taking up spots or anything. If they are garbage, then drop them. If we find a hidden gem then that could be enough to help us turn the corner.

kevoncox
05-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Exactly my point. No harm is coming, not like they are taking up spots or anything. If they are garbage, then drop them. If we find a hidden gem then that could be enough to help us turn the corner.
They is some harm done. When you waste a roster spot on a prospect, you end up cutting or not getting to see another prospect that it is more likely that Diamond in the rough. Football might as well be rocket science( my high school WR coach was a rocket scientist with NASA). It is not easy to memorize some of these playbooks or learn the science behind the game.. I gauge my intelligence to be higher than most ( except when posting on the internet) and I have seen an NFL playbook. Trust me it's no cake walk.

In the NFL cover Three isn't just cover three. You're a corner and the team your playing floods your Deep thrid zone with two Wrs running a flag and a fly. Your responsibility changes as does your reads. Its very fluid and not just get as deep as the deepest man. It takes a certain brain and brawn combination. Its similar to a doctor that can perform open heart surgery in the dark but can't google last nights baseball scores.

12purplepride28
05-02-2012, 12:06 AM
They is some harm done. When you waste a roster spot on a prospect, you end up cutting or not getting to see another prospect that it is more likely that Diamond in the rough. Football might as well be rocket science( my high school WR coach was a rocket scientist with NASA). It is not easy to memorize some of these playbooks or learn the science behind the game.. I gauge my intelligence to be higher than most ( except when posting on the internet) and I have seen an NFL playbook. Trust me it's no cake walk.

In the NFL cover Three isn't just cover three. You're a corner and the team your playing floods your Deep thrid zone with two Wrs running a flag and a fly. Your responsibility changes as does your reads. Its very fluid and not just get as deep as the deepest man. It takes a certain brain and brawn combination. Its similar to a doctor that can perform open heart surgery in the dark but can't google last nights baseball scores.

I fail to see how that matters in this. If they don't pick up the playbook then that will show in practice and they will be cut. We aren't using a spot from the 53 man roster on them. We can have over 100 players right now and they will most likely be cut anyways. But if they aren't cut it's because they've shown they deserve to be on the roster (or in most of our player's cases, no one else was any better). These players are almost all replaceable, and if we can get a guy with a freakish vert and 40 time, who can get it together in the catching department, that can pay off huge for us. I honestly see absolutely no downside to this. If we were putting random people on our 53 man roster then I could see complaints, but before TC even started? Get real.

midgensa
05-02-2012, 02:07 PM
I fail to see how that matters in this. If they don't pick up the playbook then that will show in practice and they will be cut. We aren't using a spot from the 53 man roster on them. We can have over 100 players right now and they will most likely be cut anyways. But if they aren't cut it's because they've shown they deserve to be on the roster (or in most of our player's cases, no one else was any better). These players are almost all replaceable, and if we can get a guy with a freakish vert and 40 time, who can get it together in the catching department, that can pay off huge for us. I honestly see absolutely no downside to this. If we were putting random people on our 53 man roster then I could see complaints, but before TC even started? Get real.

Yeah ... I don't see what people could possibly be upset about here.

He was not drafted. He was simply an invitee. The guy simply wants to continue pursuing basketball. There have been plenty of basketball to football converts that have made it in the NFL. Inviting him to camp does not harm anything. Can always just cut him. If he ends up being worth a damn ... no harm.

The Giants did this exact same thing just 5 years ago when they signed the kid from George Mason to a UDFA after the draft. He ended up pursuing basketball as well. Antonio Gates was a similar case. He ended up one of the best tight ends in the game. In both cases, there was no harm in giving them a shot.
I mean, we already know that Arceneaux can't play in the NFL but we are letting him come back around. There would be no problem with this Jones kid coming in and giving it a shot. What is the worst that happens? We cut him?

kevoncox
05-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Yeah ... I don't see what people could possibly be upset about here.

He was not drafted. He was simply an invitee. The guy simply wants to continue pursuing basketball. There have been plenty of basketball to football converts that have made it in the NFL. Inviting him to camp does not harm anything. Can always just cut him. If he ends up being worth a damn ... no harm.

The Giants did this exact same thing just 5 years ago when they signed the kid from George Mason to a UDFA after the draft. He ended up pursuing basketball as well. Antonio Gates was a similar case. He ended up one of the best tight ends in the game. In both cases, there was no harm in giving them a shot.
I mean, we already know that Arceneaux can't play in the NFL but we are letting him come back around. There would be no problem with this Jones kid coming in and giving it a shot. What is the worst that happens? We cut him?

I'll spell it out:

Question 1: Name all the basket ball players that never played college ball that make it to the pro bowl.
Question 2. Name all of the college FOOTBALL players that weren't drafted but still made a Pro Bowl.

If the number in question 2 is larger than that in question 1, a 3-13 team should focus on building a team from players similar to question 2. Every spot is valuable. I could understand 1 signing but the guy has gone out an signed 3 or more basketball players with no football history. Its a waste of a spot. The 101st player could be a player with a college background and could be our break out star.

C Mac D
05-02-2012, 04:56 PM
I'll spell it out:

Question 1: Name all the basket ball players that never played college ball that make it to the pro bowl.
Question 2. Name all of the college FOOTBALL players that weren't drafted but still made a Pro Bowl.

If the number in question 2 is larger than that in question 1, a 3-13 team should focus on building a team from players similar to question 2. Every spot is valuable. I could understand 1 signing but the guy has gone out an signed 3 or more basketball players with no football history. Its a waste of a spot. The 101st player could be a player with a college background and could be our break out star.

Well, while you're correct... Antonio Gates is possibly the best TE to ever play the position (when healthy)... and Jimmy Graham was a basketball player who played one year of college football. He's not too shabby either.

But yeah, I agree with your point.

tastywaves
05-02-2012, 05:31 PM
I'll spell it out:

I think your logic is a bit flawed. That's like saying how many guys that hunt bear ever make it as pro bowl NFL players vs. how many guys that play video games turn out to be pro bowlers.

I think you have to take the athlete into consideration instead of just qualifying how important it is to have played at the college level before going pro. The NFL is as much about the physical attributes of a player as it is the mental, and one is much easier to overcome than the other. Most of the undrafted guys are undrafted because they are lacking in physical attributes...or if they are gifted, they are just shitheads that nobody wants. NFL teams take a flyer all the time based on somebody's combine performance over their playing production, I don't see this as much different.

iowa
05-02-2012, 08:20 PM
They is some harm done. When you waste a roster spot on a prospect, you end up cutting or not getting to see another prospect that it is more likely that Diamond in the rough. Football might as well be rocket science( my high school WR coach was a rocket scientist with NASA). It is not easy to memorize some of these playbooks or learn the science behind the game.. I gauge my intelligence to be higher than most ( except when posting on the internet) and I have seen an NFL playbook. Trust me it's no cake walk

Are you familiar with Pacman Jones?? Seem like a smart guy to you?If you possess freakish athletic ability there's a chance you can be trained to play football.It helps if your smart but it's not a requirement.Bring in all the potential talent you can round up and take a look at them.

kevoncox
05-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Are you familiar with Pacman Jones?? Seem like a smart guy to you?If you possess freakish athletic ability there's a chance you can be trained to play football.It helps if your smart but it's not a requirement.Bring in all the potential talent you can round up and take a look at them.

Jones may be a criminal but make no mistake, his football IQ is very high. Intelligence is a subjective term.

kevoncox
05-02-2012, 09:57 PM
I think your logic is a bit flawed. That's like saying how many guys that hunt bear ever make it as pro bowl NFL players vs. how many guys that play video games turn out to be pro bowlers.

I think you have to take the athlete into consideration instead of just qualifying how important it is to have played at the college level before going pro. The NFL is as much about the physical attributes of a player as it is the mental, and one is much easier to overcome than the other. Most of the undrafted guys are undrafted because they are lacking in physical attributes...or if they are gifted, they are just shitheads that nobody wants. NFL teams take a flyer all the time based on somebody's combine performance over their playing production, I don't see this as much different.

If any athlete can be trained why isn't Brock Lesner playing NT for us? As a bad team, you can't invest time teach players things they should already know. In high school ran 15 routes. (Fly, hitches, comebacks, digs etc) It wasn't until I got to college that I learned how to run routes, why you dip your hips, why you don't mistep, how to turn quickly at 45s. I learned more in 3 months than I did in 4 years. These things cannot be taught in the time they need to know it. THere is a reason so fer ( 2-4 maybe) have done it and performed well.

Most of the guys that aren't drafted... simply cannot compete physically with these guys in the NFL. Plenty of guys can run a 4.44 most can't do it stop on a dime and leap 38 inches.

iowa
05-02-2012, 10:25 PM
If any athlete can be trained why isn't Brock Lesner playing NT for us? As a bad team, you can't invest time teach players things they should already know. In high school ran 15 routes. (Fly, hitches, comebacks, digs etc) It wasn't until I got to college that I learned how to run routes, why you dip your hips, why you don't mistep, how to turn quickly at 45s. I learned more in 3 months than I did in 4 years. These things cannot be taught in the time they need to know it. THere is a reason so fer ( 2-4 maybe) have done it and performed well.

Most of the guys that aren't drafted... simply cannot compete physically with these guys in the NFL. Plenty of guys can run a 4.44 most can't do it stop on a dime and leap 38 inches.

If I recall correctly Brock Lesnar went to training camp with the Vikes several years ago, damn near made the team as a DT, last cut of camp I believe.Vikes wanted him to go play in NFL Europe to get some playing time but he didn't want to commit to it.Oh, and PacMan is an Idiot, you'll never convince me otherwise.

kevoncox
05-03-2012, 12:27 AM
If I recall correctly Brock Lesnar went to training camp with the Vikes several years ago, damn near made the team as a DT, last cut of camp I believe.Vikes wanted him to go play in NFL Europe to get some playing time but he didn't want to commit to it.Oh, and PacMan is an Idiot, you'll never convince me otherwise.

Do you think you know more about football than he does? If your answer is no...becareful because you are now admitting to knowing less than an idiot. See what happens when you paint people with a broad stoke of your brush. I have never met the man. I just have to go off of the sensationalized reports of his actions. He appears to be a social misfit that attracts the company of the dregs of society. His academic intelligence may not warrant Mensa to contacting him but he is an intelligent football player.

skum
05-03-2012, 12:59 AM
This guy said no to football, not to Spielman, with the headline you make it out like he would have signed for any other team.. Come on.. I don't particularly like Spielman, but to bash him for this is a new low.

singersp
05-04-2012, 05:49 AM

It might have something to do with some of us wanting a winning team and are tired of losing players & games. To you it might get old, but to others they see the big picture. BTW, I don't bitch about everything he does, but don't let that stop you from implying it.

What gets old is people slobbing Spielman's cock because he traded the 3rd pick for the 4th & got 3 extra picks & are either complacent with a team that went 6-10 (WITH FAVRE) & 3-13 last year or are completely oblivious to it.

You might want to widen your eyes beyond the first few picks of the 2012 draft and look at what else or lack there of that Spielman accomplished.

While you're at it, don't forget the reason we have so many holes to fill on the roster or can't seem to put a lot of quality players on the field falls heavily on the shoulders of your favorite GM/Vice President of Player Personnel in the first place.

BTW, how would you grade his offseason moves/FA signings this year outside of the draft?

singersp
05-04-2012, 06:10 AM

Um, I do believe the offseason roster limit is 90 & not well over 100.

I don't necessarily have a problem bringing a BB player in here to try out, but I do have a problem bringing a BB player in here that doesn't know how to play football.

WE are having a hard enough time coaching the players we do have that already know football how to play in the NFL with our schemes & IMO can ill afford time to teach a green horn the rules of the game & football 101in addition to it.

singersp
05-04-2012, 06:23 AM
This guy said no to football, not to Spielman, with the headline you make it out like he would have signed for any other team.. Come on.. I don't particularly like Spielman, but to bash him for this is a new low.

Rick invited him to tryout for the Vikings & he declined. That sounds like a "No" to me.

It's not like Rick asked this kid out of the blue. He spent time & effort researching this kid & others like him that haven't played football, when that time would be better spent researching & making an effort to bring in people that have played football & are more likely to want to play football & also have the desire & will to play football.

You're not going to put a good product on the field if you sign players who lack the drive & desire to win & play NFL football, so don't bother pursuing them.

Sure Gates played basketball in college, but he had the desire to play NFL football & pursued that goal. He was the one to arrange the football workout that eventually got him signed.

That's a big difference.

Spielman is tapping people on the shoulder that aren't interested in playing football & asking them if they want to play football.

Ranger
05-04-2012, 05:52 PM
I'm not saying that everybody should look through purple glass here, but singer...you are possibly the most negative poster on the site.

singersp
05-05-2012, 11:19 AM
I'm not saying that everybody should look through purple glass here, but singer...you are possibly the most negative poster on the site.

Hardly. But probably one of the most passionate. Also because I post a lot more than others.

It always seems to appear to others as negative only if the opinion differs than theirs.

How much negativity do you recall reading or posting here about Jackson? McNabb? Childress? Tice, McKinnie, Berrian, Williamson, Smoot, Ryan Cook, Marcus Johnson, our OL, our DB's & safties & a whole gamut of other players, etc, etc?

If people want to label Spielman as a genius for selecting a player 99% of the fan base figured we'd take, so be it. I was one of the fans who liked both of the first two picks this year & really liked the Rudolph pick last year, but a lot of his other actions will draw negativity from me.

What positives can you ascertain from Spielman's decision to bring Luck & RGIII in here?

If you view my opinion that I believe our GM should be pursuing football players that have a desire to play football instead of pursuing non-football players that have no interest in playing football as negative, then guilty as charged.

There's more to being a good football player than just athleticism & skill. The desire & effort to play is equally important. Call me Mr. Negativity again for not wanting players who lack that drive.

Also feel free to call me negative because I didn't get all giddy & excited about these signings;

Lex Hilliard
Bryan Walters
Jose Valdez
Marvin Mitchell
Elimimian Solomon

If Spielman, Frazier & our coaches were doing their jobs well enough, we wouldn't be in the situation we are in in the first place. When we are headed in the direction of being 13-3 instead of 3-13, there will be a lot more positives than negatives to post about.

You & others may view having the #3 pick in the draft as a wonderful, positive thing. I happen to view having the #32 pick in the draft as a wonderful, positive thing instead, not the #3. So guilty of being negative again.

Ranger
05-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Hardly. But probably one of the most passionate. Also because I post a lot more than others.

It always seems to appear to others as negative only if the opinion differs than theirs.

How much negativity do you recall reading or posting here about Jackson? McNabb? Childress? Tice, McKinnie, Berrian, Williamson, Smoot, Ryan Cook, Marcus Johnson, our OL, our DB's & safties & a whole gamut of other players, etc, etc?

If people want to label Spielman as a genius for selecting a player 99% of the fan base figured we'd take, so be it. I was one of the fans who liked both of the first two picks this year & really liked the Rudolph pick last year, but a lot of his other actions will draw negativity from me.

What positives can you ascertain from Spielman's decision to bring Luck & RGIII in here?

If you view my opinion that I believe our GM should be pursuing football players that have a desire to play football instead of pursuing non-football players that have no interest in playing football as negative, then guilty as charged.

There's more to being a good football player than just athleticism & skill. The desire & effort to play is equally important. Call me Mr. Negativity again for not wanting players who lack that drive.

Also feel free to call me negative because I didn't get all giddy & excited about these signings;

Lex Hilliard
Bryan Walters
Jose Valdez
Marvin Mitchell
Elimimian Solomon

If Spielman, Frazier & our coaches were doing their jobs well enough, we wouldn't be in the situation we are in in the first place. When we are headed in the direction of being 13-3 instead of 3-13, there will be a lot more positives than negatives to post about.

You & others may view having the #3 pick in the draft as a wonderful, positive thing. I happen to view having the #32 pick in the draft as a wonderful, positive thing instead, not the #3. So guilty of being negative again.

I'm not saying that criticism is forbidden, or any such thing. Nor am I saying that you don't have the right to voice your displeasure. However, it seems like that's all you voice. Some folks want to look for a bright spot on a shit team, and right now the draft is the best we have, and it seems to be a better draft than we're used to having.

It gets old hearing people ranting and raving about poor seventh round draft picks.

singersp
05-05-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm not saying that criticism is forbidden, or any such thing. Nor am I saying that you don't have the right to voice your displeasure. However, it seems like that's all you voice. Some folks want to look for a bright spot on a shit team, and right now the draft is the best we have, and it seems to be a better draft than we're used to having.

It gets old hearing people ranting and raving about poor seventh round draft picks.

And you don't see me ranting & raving about poor seventh round draft picks. When it's a bright spot, you'll see me posting about it. Unfortunately, you tend to forget my positive posts. Kalil & K-Rud are two of those bright spots.

Negativity is also sometimes warranted & correct. The stadium deal not getting & Caleb King being two of those topics.

The reason you have been reading so much negativity is because what's being being talked about has a lot of negativity. There is much difference in opinion about the draft beyond the first few picks.

What else is being talked about?

The 2012 record? Some see it as rosy, some see it bleak. Again, a lot of negativity there also.

The stadium? No resolution yet. Again, a lot of negativity.

Caleb King? Michael Bennett? .......negativity. You aren't going to read anything positive there.

When your team is one of the worst in the NFL & there's a threat of losing them altogether, you're going to be reading a lot of negative posts.

Also, people in general always tend to remember the negative things they read or think about a person rather than the positive things.

There's a lot of positive in the fact that AD is far ahead of schedule in his recovery, but no one is talking about it.

There's a lot of positive in the fact that Kalil is impressive in minicamp, but no one is talking about it.

Offseasons here after a bad year are going to seem more negative than positive, because they are. There was more optimism last year because we drafted Ponder & many thought we'd greatly improve. Others thought McNabb would make us a winning team. Neither lived up to the expectations that were set in place.

Wining will change everything. Unfortunately that can't start happening until August. Until them, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

i_bleed_purple
05-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Green Bay Packers: Dale Moss, WR, South Dakota State -- Moss only made the switch from basketball to football for the Jackrabbits in his senior season. His size (6-3, 213) and athleticism (41-inch vertical) give him enough upside to land on the practice squad in 2012, or maybe as the last receiver on the 53-man if he shows enough in training camp.

Looks like the Packers don't know how to assemble a roster either, giving basketball turned football players a chance to try out.

12purplepride28
05-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Green Bay Packers: Dale Moss, WR, South Dakota State -- Moss only made the switch from basketball to football for the Jackrabbits in his senior season. His size (6-3, 213) and athleticism (41-inch vertical) give him enough upside to land on the practice squad in 2012, or maybe as the last receiver on the 53-man if he shows enough in training camp.

Looks like the Packers don't know how to assemble a roster either, giving basketball turned football players a chance to try out.

You are useless... Obviously the Packers are a winning franchise so they can afford to take risks like this on their roster. We cannot. That is not how you build a winning roster. You play is safe and realize that the odds of the 80th person we add to our roster becoming a HOFer are much greater if he's played mediocre DT his whole life than if he was a flyer based on athletic ability. When we win 5 superbowls, then we can start thinking about risking our future on a player like that.

i_bleed_purple
05-05-2012, 11:41 PM
You are useless... Obviously the Packers are a winning franchise so they can afford to take risks like this on their roster. We cannot. That is not how you build a winning roster. You play is safe and realize that the odds of the 80th person we add to our roster becoming a HOFer are much greater if he's played mediocre DT his whole life than if he was a flyer based on athletic ability.

How is that in ANY way a risk? We get 90some odd players going into TC. If they want to sign an athletic player who has a 1% shot at making the roster, why not?

When we win 5 superbowls, then we can start thinking about risking our future on a player like that.

Risking our future? LMAO!!! That's fucking classic. You're right, this basketball player, had he tried out and not made it would spiral this franchise into the bowels of the NFL for the next 15 years.

Ridiculous.

12purplepride28
05-06-2012, 06:38 AM
How is that in ANY way a risk? We get 90some odd players going into TC. If they want to sign an athletic player who has a 1% shot at making the roster, why not?

Risking our future? LMAO!!! That's fucking classic. You're right, this basketball player, had he tried out and not made it would spiral this franchise into the bowels of the NFL for the next 15 years.

Ridiculous.

This is the classic case of me not knowing if you took my (what I thought to be) obvious sarcasm as seriousness or you're responding with more sarcasm, and in that case I'm ruining the whole situation by asking about it. Hmmm....

kevoncox
05-06-2012, 10:03 AM
This is the classic case of me not knowing if you took my (what I thought to be) obvious sarcasm as seriousness or you're responding with more sarcasm, and in that case I'm ruining the whole situation by asking about it. Hmmm....
It failed because it lacked common sense. All of these guys are athletic. Dale Moss also played football recently.

61 catches, 900 yards, 6 tds is not
0 catches, 0 yards, 0 tds.

Do you you see the difference. #NoSarcasm
Again, how many of those players that never played football at the college level are Pro Bowlers?
We don't have the time to teach the basics of Football with a roster this young. We have to spend time teach the NFL Basics.

i_bleed_purple
05-06-2012, 10:20 AM

oh. Ha! well played sir.

i_bleed_purple
05-06-2012, 10:22 AM
We don't have the time to teach the basics of Football with a roster this young. We have to spend time teach the NFL Basics.

Do you honestly think none of these guys know the basics of Football? yeah, it's an extra step, but IF they make the practice squad, they have a year+ to learn the more basic aspects, they won't be on the 53 man roster, but if we can get a guy skilled enough to play who just needs some experience o the PS, there's no reason why we shouldn't do it.

It's ironic, weren't you the guy who made the thread about how we should ignore the safe picks in the late rounds of draft and draft for either pure skill or a guy who was injured but can play if healthy?

singersp
05-06-2012, 01:00 PM

There's a big difference.

Dale Moss personally made the move from basketball to football because he had a desire to play football & wanted to tryout. He played football his senior year, went to the combine & was a menber of the NFL draft class. That decision to play football was made long before GB gave him an opportunity to tryout.

Spielman is targeting a BB player who is content with playing BB, doesn't have a desire, will or want to play football nor played it in college & trying to entice him to leave basketball & play football instead.

When is the last time a player who didn't want to play football, get talked into playing football & then become a star?

IMO, It's a waste of time, just like it was for him to bring in Luck & RGIII for a workout.

Marrdro
05-08-2012, 08:06 AM
This thread is about a silly as the people who think that looking across the spectrum of sports for athletes that can play is silly.

First, he wasn't drafted so he wasn't a wasted draft pick.

Second, this was a very week class for TE's.

Third, we have a duffus for a O-coord that wants more TE's on the roster than WR's.

Fourth, basketball players have proven to be successful at this level.

Fifth, this is a total staff effort. If the scouts and coaches didn't think the kid was athletic enough, the offer woudn't have been made.

In the end, we are trying to find athletes to put on the field. Almost any fan would be ecstatic, instead, Vikings fans get pissed because the staff is putting players on the field that THEY DON'T KNOW.....

WHAHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I don't know his name. He can't play for me........

Silly yutz fans.

Marrdro
05-08-2012, 08:08 AM
There's a big difference.

Dale Moss personally made the move from basketball to football because he had a desire to play football & wanted to tryout. He played football his senior year, went to the combine & was a menber of the NFL draft class. That decision to play football was made long before GB gave him an opportunity to tryout.

Spielman is targeting a BB player who is content with playing BB, doesn't have a desire, will or want to play football nor played it in college & trying to entice him to leave basketball & play football instead.

When is the last time a player who didn't want to play football, get talked into playing football & then become a star?

IMO, It's a waste of time, just like it was for him to bring in Luck & RGIII for a workout.
Quick question for you ole wise one.

HOW THE HELL WAS HE TO FIND OUT HE DIDN'T WANT TO PLAY FOOTBALL IF HE DIDN'T ASK?

Wow, the logic behind that mystifies me......

Spielman. Leslie, do you think he has talent?

Leslie: Pretty damn athletic.

Spielman: Wonder if he wants to try out?

Leslie: Better not ask, he might say no and that will give the yutz fans a reason to start a stupid ass thread over there on PPO.

Speilman: Yea, I see your point my friend.......

LOL

12purplepride28
05-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Quick question for you ole wise one.

HOW THE HELL WAS HE TO FIND OUT HE DIDN'T WANT TO PLAY FOOTBALL IF HE DIDN'T ASK?

Wow, the logic behind that mystifies me......

Spielman. Leslie, do you think he has talent?

Leslie: Pretty damn athletic.

Spielman: Wonder if he wants to try out?

Leslie: Better not ask, he might say no and that will give the yutz fans a reason to start a stupid ass thread over there on PPO.

Speilman: Yea, I see your point my friend.......

LOL

What's this? A topic I agree with Marrdro on? Interesting... :)

Marrdro
05-08-2012, 08:49 AM
What's this? A topic I agree with Marrdro on? Interesting... :)
LOL, Not hard to explain......I haven't been around enough to keep you in a constant state of irritation my friend.

kevoncox
05-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Marr,
The point isn't about whether he wanted to play or not. I can give two donkey dicks if he cared to play. The problem is we are staffing a team full of sub par players. I don't care what you say, there is a need to play football at the collegiate level. The amount of information gained a that level is eye opening and the jump to the pros dwarfs that. Yes you have a HANDFUL of players that have made that jump. Yet we are fielding a team on the exception. There are quality players out there that can add to this team. Lets stop dumpster diving just to patch a roster up. Lets not add to the fact that this staff has yet to develop anything besides indigestion.

tastywaves
05-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Marr,
The point isn't about whether he wanted to play or not. I can give two donkey dicks if he cared to play. The problem is we are staffing a team full of sub par players. I don't care what you say, there is a need to play football at the collegiate level. The amount of information gained a that level is eye opening and the jump to the pros dwarfs that. Yes you have a HANDFUL of players that have made that jump. Yet we are fielding a team on the exception. There are quality players out there that can add to this team. Lets stop dumpster diving just to patch a roster up. Lets not add to the fact that this staff has yet to develop anything besides indigestion.

If you limit this discussion to the tight end position, I think you will find that there is and will continue to be a number of athletic BB players that make this transition. You have to admit that being proficient at the TE position is much different than at WR. Athletic talent at TE can get you productive fairly quickly as we have seen with a number of athletes. How much is the TE position really utilized at the college level compared to the NFL. And didn't you state earlier that you learned more in 3 months at college than you did in 4 years at HS. Imagine how much you would have learned in a few months at the pro level :)

The NFL has made TE the latest position of choice to create a mismatch on offense. They are doing this by getting big body guys that are very athletic. The key is the athleticism and ball skills. Basketball players are a natural fit and a large pool to go after.

Your argument in general is valid, by I think you need to make some exceptions for TE's.

kevoncox
05-09-2012, 07:02 PM
TEs are the exception to the rule.

Marrdro
05-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Marr,

I find it interesting that you think we have a roster full of "Sub-par" players.

For the second year in a row almost every player drafted was drafted at or below were he was projected to go and most were considered pretty good value were taken.

I will give you a edge if your going to go down the FA signings but I think alot of that has to do with the Ownerships unwillingness to spend based on the whole stadium deal mixed in with a weak FA class in most of the areas we needed help at.

I'll go into more detail when I do my roster analysis, but I just don't see the "Sub-par" roster you speak of.

Young, athletic, inexperienced, yes, but that is why we have coaches. To help those kids get to the next level and as I see it, everyone of them should be able to get to the next level with proper coaching.

On a side note, take a look at each player we drafted. I think it will suprise you how many other teams had them in for a visit or went to see them. Again, that doesn't happen if the kid doesn't have some potential.