PDA

View Full Version : Childs and Wright -- Lifelong friends

12purplepride28
04-28-2012, 01:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q34CibNz5Bc

Pretty cool story. Hopefully they work out for us.

singersp
04-28-2012, 01:57 PM
5'10" wr?

mountainviking
04-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Pretty cool story for sure...hope they both make the squad and surprise some DBs for us!! ;)

At first glance I was a lil bummed we didn't go WR a bit earlier, but after checking into these guys, I'm getting kinda stoked with how well this draft seems to have worked out! We filled all the glaring holes (LT and S) in the first and then added multiple players to our other weakest areas, CBs and WRs.

Both these WRs have timed in the low 4.4s, so they've got some straight line speed, and their weaknesses and strengths complement each other well. The big guy has his obvious size advantage in jump balls and shielding the ball from the defender and some pretty good power and balance in how he runs after the catch, while the lil guy has the quickness and short area speed/agility to get open and get gone that way. Nice additions both!

SKOL VIKINGS!!!

Marrdro
04-28-2012, 11:28 PM
5'10" wr?
Wes Welker 5'9" 185 lbs.

Marrdro
04-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Pretty cool story for sure...hope they both make the squad and surprise some DBs for us!! ;)

At first glance I was a lil bummed we didn't go WR a bit earlier, but after checking into these guys, I'm getting kinda stoked with how well this draft seems to have worked out! We filled all the glaring holes (LT and S) in the first and then added multiple players to our other weakest areas, CBs and WRs.

Both these WRs have timed in the low 4.4s, so they've got some straight line speed, and their weaknesses and strengths complement each other well. The big guy has his obvious size advantage in jump balls and shielding the ball from the defender and some pretty good power and balance in how he runs after the catch, while the lil guy has the quickness and short area speed/agility to get open and get gone that way. Nice additions both!

SKOL VIKINGS!!!
I agree in total.

Loved it when they added Jarius even though I thought they would only look for cats like Childs. Then when they added Childs I kindof scratched my head. First scouting report talked about nothing more than how slow and unproductive he was last year and didn't even say anything about him coming off a knee injury.

Other sites talked about how his 40 time has steadily gotten better as he gets healthy and how tough he is getting off the line before the injury, not to mention that he loves to block.

As I said in a previous post. I like the FA signings and think these guys just make the group that much better.

If we can only get rid of Musgrove, I would be happy happy happy.

singersp
04-29-2012, 08:00 AM
As I said in a previous post. I like the FA signings and think these guys just make the group that much better.

That explains a lot.

Perhaps Spielman can scrounge up some more basketball players to sign.

Marrdro
04-29-2012, 08:06 AM
That explains a lot.

Perhaps Spielman can scrounge up some more basketball players to sign.
You don't like the additions and the players we resigned? WOW.

i_bleed_purple
04-29-2012, 12:00 PM
You don't like the additions and the players we resigned? WOW.

Between him and Kevon, I'm not sure a positive word about the Vikings has been said in the past year.

vikinggreg
04-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Cool story looks like we may have just added the Sedin twins to our offense and we don't need them to backcheck :clap:

bleedpurple
04-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Between him and Kevon, I'm not sure a positive word about the Vikings has been said in the past year.

We just went 3-13..... Nuff said!!

Marrdro
05-08-2012, 09:44 AM
LOL, Singer I can understand. Our good friend Kev, I'm not so sure of. Cat knows the game. I would have thought he would have looked at the bigger picture and could see what the staff is trying to do.

tastywaves
05-08-2012, 02:08 PM
5'10" wr?

Wes Welker 5'9" 185 lbs.

Steve Smith 5'9" 185 lbs.
Deion Branch 5'9" 195 lbs.
Santana Moss 5'10 205 lbs.

Small receivers coming up big (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-smallreceivers103008)

Compact packages

Ideally, teams would like every small receiver to be built like Smith or Moss – strong, compact, fluid and tough enough to take a jam from a “hard” cornerback in a Cover 2 defense. Excluding physical freaks like Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson, most small receivers have a few distinct advantages over their “prototype” counterparts: quickness, change of direction and acceleration to top speed. All three of those things can help provide the separation that truly matters in successful passing offenses.

“They’re more explosive coming out of their routes because of their body types,” said Redskins offensive coordinator Sherman Smith, who starts a pair of 5-10 receivers in Moss and Antwaan Randle El. “Deion Sanders was talking about it the other day, about guarding a bigger wide receiver and how they are slower out of their breaks than a smaller wide receiver.”

“Regardless of how fast you are, you probably will get to your top speed quicker than a 6-foot-3 guy,” said Jennings. “You’re going to put that stress on a defensive back quicker than a 6-foot-3 guy would.”

Marrdro
05-09-2012, 05:34 AM
Steve Smith 5'9" 185 lbs.
Deion Branch 5'9" 195 lbs.
Santana Moss 5'10 205 lbs.

Small receivers coming up big (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-smallreceivers103008)
Good stuff my friend.

Welkers sure has helped, but I think, like everything in this league, things go in cycles. As the teams try to make up for the bigger stronger receivers and go bigger and stronger with their DB's, we will see a influx of smaller faster WR's (again) who can make breaks faster than they can.

Again, an interesting chess match for those that care to watch.

tastywaves
05-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Good stuff my friend.

Welkers sure has helped, but I think, like everything in this league, things go in cycles. As the teams try to make up for the bigger stronger receivers and go bigger and stronger with their DB's, we will see a influx of smaller faster WR's (again) who can make breaks faster than they can.

Yep, there is always a counter and the game will continue to evolve. I always get concerned when a team falls in the trap of following trends instead of creating them.

marshallvike
05-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Almost seems like we are following the followers.

Marrdro
05-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Yep, there is always a counter and the game will continue to evolve. I always get concerned when a team falls in the trap of following trends instead of creating them.
I don't see ole Musgrove creating anything my friend. I still hope, but I doubt it will happen.

Minniman
05-10-2012, 06:08 PM
I don't see ole Musgrove creating anything my friend. I still hope, but I doubt it will happen.
I agree.

Tricky plays don't cut it.

Purple Floyd
05-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Good stuff my friend.

It isn't that teams are going to choose smaller WR's over taller WR's. The players are a finite resource and the taller, faster WR's with great hands will always get picked first and have the most demand from teams that can get them.

Ranger
05-10-2012, 09:27 PM
It isn't that teams are going to choose smaller WR's over taller WR's. The players are a finite resource and the taller, faster WR's with great hands will always get picked first and have the most demand from teams that can get them.

This is very true, but I would be extremely hard pressed to pick somebody head of a prime Jerry Rice. Hell, a prime Steve Smith carried his team deep in the playoffs several times, including a game where he damn near beat a beastly Bears team by himself.

Johnson14
05-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Id like to see both work out here, if i'm honest i'd like to see Child's healthy and see what he can do, he has the size and speed to be a big player, but he had a bad injury and story's coming out he has had trouble running routes since.

The Wright pick had me a little baffled.

Braddock
05-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Almost seems like we are following the followers.

So, in a cyclical pattern like this one, that could make us the leaders..... see what I'm sayin here?? :rolleyes:

singersp
05-15-2012, 07:27 AM

Then you've either completely ignored the positive posts or didn't read them.

There's not a lot of positive to post about when.....your team arguably has the worst OL in football (ranked 28th), had a 3-13 record, had the 31st ranked defense (28+ per game avg given up) & your GM's answer to that is to release several veterans & replace them with players off other teams practice squad or players they didn't want, a player who has never played pro football, your coach scarcely uses our best past catching TE & doesn't address one of the teams biggest needs until the 5th pick of the draft.

Yeah, I've complained about our OL last year, bitched about McKinnie, Berrian, McNabb, our mediocre WR corp sans Harvin. Guilty as charged

I've also bitched about our defense losing games for us when our team managed to put up 23, 27, 28 & even 32 points. Guilty as charged

I wasn't happy with our OL giving up 50 sacks, losing twice to GB, Chi & Detroit & finishing at the bottom of our division. Again, guilty as charged.

Outside of some bright moments & the achievements of a few key players, the season & the offseason prior to the draft has been very bleak.

You might see a lot of positives & be happy as a clam with what our team & staff has did last year, but I'm not.

What is it you & Marrdro love about signing Marvin Mitchell?

What is it you & Marrdro love about these signings & how do they improve our team enough to put us back into contention?

Elimimian Solomon
Zackary Bowman
Jose Valdez
Bryan Walters
Devin Aromashodu
Jerome Felton
Lex Hilliard

Marrdro
06-25-2012, 02:19 PM
You might see a lot of positives & be happy as a clam with what our team & staff has did last year, but I'm not.

What is it you & Marrdro love about signing Marvin Mitchell?

What is it you & Marrdro love about these signings & how do they improve our team enough to put us back into contention?

Elimimian Solomon
Zackary Bowman
Jose Valdez
Bryan Walters
Devin Aromashodu
Jerome Felton
Lex Hilliard
Do you even know who Marvin Mitchell is?

Look, just because these cats might not be glaring stars that grace each and every household with their names they will contribute because thats what they are signed to do. Heck, maybe one or two of them might even make you open your eyes and say, nice damn signing, after the year (probably not as you still won't admit how wrong you were on teh Birk/Sully thing).

Again, big picture, a team isn't made up of HOF'rs. It is made up of a bunch of players that can function in a scheme as a cohesive unit. Its not only hard to find those 53 cats, but its also hard to teach them to play that way.

Those guys you just listed are what the scouts, coaches and Front Office Pukes hope will mesh into that unit (or team). If it doens't work, you move on. If it does, we all get to jump up and down.

That's what makes it the greatest game ever played.

In the end, I'm not happy with a few of those names, hell I'd rather have high priced vets at every starting spot and every backup position but reality is (a slap in the face) the $$$ just doesn't allow it.

Other than 11 starters on offense and 11 starters on defense, the rest of the team will be made up of guys like you just listed. Show me one team out there that isn't.

I bet, just like my reply to your comment on a short WR in this thread, you won't........Still love ya though my friend. :haha: