PDA

View Full Version : 1st Round Thoughts

Braddock
04-26-2012, 09:56 PM
I loved the Kalil pick up, while getting a few picks from Cleveland. That gave us the leverage to move back up into the 1st and select Harrison Smith, which I am happy with. Overall, I think the maneuvering shows great foresight and gamesmanship by Spielman. So far, I'm giving us an A rating*.

*Rating based more on organization approach than players. Smith looks good, but now show stopping... The draft seems very thin this year.

kevoncox
04-26-2012, 10:07 PM
At first I didn't like the H. Smith pick but it is a need. My only thought is that he is clearly a SS. Does the mean way less Cover 2 and more Cover 3 and Cover 1?

I give the draft a A+ so far. We basically were able to move up for free.

JerBearLuvsDaVikes
04-26-2012, 10:10 PM
At first I thought we were taking Stephen Hill and was ecstatic, but safety was a huge need. As long as our next pick addresses WR without reaching I'm a happy camper. Maybe move up for Stephen Hill if he makes it into the mid 2nd round pick or stand pat and grab Brian Quick or something.

LIVike
04-26-2012, 10:13 PM
I loved the three free picks. I really wonder what was said to Cleveland. It also gives us more than enough ammo to move into the second round to take a receiver. Two picks down two major needs addressed, really cant complain about that

skum
04-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Very happy, got the first two guys i wanted.. I wanted Smith in the second round, but we pretty much got him "for free" with the Cleveland trade which was a great deal for us.. I don't know why Cleveland agreed to that, but we owned them right there..

Spielman had a great first day of the draft and i loved what he did, hopefully he can follow it up tomorrow.. Targets need to be WR + OLB or DB.

I don't have issues with Smith being a SS, he seems to be able to do it all, he is a pretty good tackler and seems to have some okay ballskills to go with it, so no more Sanford or TJohnson not intercepting the pass..

I was sure we were taking Claiborne and was elated we took Kalil instead, we have covered two major holes in our depth chart today and we couldnt have done any better in my eyes..

Brewtal
04-26-2012, 10:16 PM
So far so good. Still think the Kalil pick was a no brainer and glad the Claiborn was just a smoke screen. Claiborn would have been nice, but Kalil was the right pick for the team. We got some free picks and still got our pick.

Also like the Smith pick, bigger need right now the CB and it sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders. Still need a WR and there is enough picks to move up possably and get a solid pick. WR in my opinion is not a sure thing no matter where you pick them so we can still nail down a solid reciever.

tastywaves
04-26-2012, 10:18 PM
At first I didn't like the H. Smith pick but it is a need. My only thought is that he is clearly a SS. Does the mean way less Cover 2 and more Cover 3 and Cover 1?

I give the draft a A+ so far. We basically were able to move up for free.

Mayock seems to like it.

Mayock's take: "This is a pick I really like. They haven't had a good safety in Minnesota since Darren Sharper left for New Orleans. Smith will step in right now. I think he's the best pure zone safety in the draft."

Then again, didn't he say something similar about Tyrell?

I think this was a solid pick. There were others I would have been happy with as well, but definitely a position of need.

NDVikingFan66
04-26-2012, 10:30 PM
I can live with this. I wanted to go the first couple of picks on offense, because I think Ponder needs some weapons, but hey, we filled holes. Cannot complain to much.

NordicNed
04-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Two of our biggest needs were filled today, lets just hope that day 2 is just as good. Spielman played his hand, very well, today....Congrats

kevoncox
04-26-2012, 10:53 PM
If we can find a way to get back into the 2nd round and snatch Jefferys, I would be very happy.
My sleeper of Jenkins in the 3rd was blown. They took him in the 1st. Lol. We really need to 2 WRs + DT + OLB +FS

I would still like to see
4th WRs Tommy Streeter+ 4th TY Hilton
3rd (future 2013) FS George Iloka
3rd - DT Alameda Ta'amu
5th - RB Chris Rainey

kevoncox
04-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Also...remember that The problem was never high 1st round picks with Speilman. Its the crap he does with 2nd - 5 round picks.

MulletMullitia
04-26-2012, 11:45 PM
Also...remember that The problem was never high 1st round picks with Speilman. Its the crap he does with 2nd - 5 round picks.

Agreed! But even I have to give the guy an A+ so far. Hopefully that idiot Alfonzo Dennard slips all the way to the 3rd because of his pre-draft antics. Him or Janoris Jenkins. We already got our sure thing picks. Now it's time to take a risk / reward move.

kevoncox
04-27-2012, 12:25 AM
I agree as well. I would have liked Jeffery over Smith but I am happy with the pick. I hope we find a way to get back into the 2nd to select a WR. Expec tto see a crapload of WRs fly off the shelf.

Mr Anderson
04-27-2012, 12:42 AM
Don't think we needed to trade up for Smith, but I'm happy.

After trading back I was freaking out, then we picked Kalil and my stress level plummeted.

I'm happy so far. Very happy in fact.

Cheers!

skum
04-27-2012, 12:45 AM
I agree as well. I would have liked Jeffery over Smith but I am happy with the pick. I hope we find a way to get back into the 2nd to select a WR. Expec tto see a crapload of WRs fly off the shelf.

If you select a WR there or in 2nd round, then who should play safety in your eyes?, i think Smith was the perfect pick for us there and it was nice to see us trade up and not gamble in the situation.

With Abdullah not re-signed our current starting safeties without Smith would be Sanford and Raymond, with Frampton and Sandejo backing them up, we needed to do something about that and we did.. I like it..

WR is still plenty deep, S is not..

WR's still on the board:
Stephen Hill
Alshon Jeffery
Rueben Randle
Mohammed Sanu
Dwight Jones
TY Hilton
Juron Criner
Marvin McNutt
+ more
There is plenty to have and plenty to like,

kevoncox
04-27-2012, 01:26 AM
If you select a WR there or in 2nd round, then who should play safety in your eyes?, i think Smith was the perfect pick for us there and it was nice to see us trade up and not gamble in the situation.

I like the pick. However, I believe I would have gone Jeffery and George Iloka.
I really like the kid. He played Cb two games this season for BSU. 6'4 and 225lbs with solid ball skills. Mature kid and handles himself well. Looks like a LB in pads.
George Iloka, Boise State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1621494/george-iloka)

With Abdullah not re-signed our current starting safeties without Smith would be Sanford and Raymond, with Frampton and Sandejo backing them up, we needed to do something about that and we did.. I like it..

I agree it was a need. Higher than WRs. I simply had my preference in players. I gave Smith up since he was more SS like and went with Iloka.

WR is still plenty deep, S is not..
WR's still on the board:
Stephen Hill - Gone well before the 3rd.
Alshon Jeffery - Gone well before the 3rd.
Rueben Randle - Gone well before the 3rd.
Mohammed Sanu - Similar to Boldin. Gone well before the 3rd.

Dwight Jones - Who is he?
TY Hilton - Love this guy. Very small plays tough. Explosive. Already have him in Harvin
Juron Criner - Big Wr. Not alot of seperation speed. Average hands.
Marvin McNutt - Lacks seperation speed. Good hands.

As you can see, come the 3rd our options are limited to big Wrs that lack the deep threat speed we want. Plenty of filler Wrs will be left. Thats why I wanted to take an elite WR and then fill it with the a Safety available later in the draft. Its easier to trade back into the 2nd if need be to get him.

TNViking
04-27-2012, 05:49 AM
Great draft so far. Got the OT to open holes for AP and keep Ponder upright and a great zone safety along with 2 extra picks. I agree we now must find a couple WR's with hands and speed, if possible. With all our picks we should be able to snag a couple decent players even if we need to trade up again.

singersp
04-27-2012, 06:21 AM
I loved the three free picks. I really wonder what was said to Cleveland. It also gives us more than enough ammo to move into the second round to take a receiver. Two picks down two major needs addressed, really cant complain about that

Browns: Rick, We'll give you our 1st, 4th, 5th & 7th round picks for your 1st round pick.

Spielman: OK

ConnecticutViking
04-27-2012, 07:07 AM

I loved our first round! But it doesn't mean much if we screw up on day two. Rounds 2-5 is the "meat and potatoes". It's in these rounds that the cream rises to the top. We have a lot of hole to fill and hopefully we can find some value picks in the middle rounds.

Jarlvik
04-27-2012, 07:54 AM
Nice showing so far. Obviously Kalil was a must. Everything I've seen about Harrison Smith puts him at FS- solid pick. The best SS left are Brandon Taylor, LSU and Antonio Allen, South Carolina.
Lot's of potential at CB and WR left, especially if we can get back into Rd2.
For Day 3 or UDFA, how about another Moss? Dale Moss, WR from SDSU (local boy),
wowed scouts at SDSU Pro Day, 6'3" 213, runs 4.41 with a 41" vertical.

ShowingMyHorns
04-27-2012, 07:57 AM
Great first day! However couldn't follow the pre-draft stuff after trying to read schefters tweet about the Cleveland trade and accidentally dropping my iphone to its death with excitement. Both picks were solid. most likely a starter on either side of the ball. A+ so far. Skoll!!

MaxVike
04-27-2012, 08:31 AM
So many needs, hard to mess it up. But, I thought Trader Rick did a tremendous job... Two guys that will help immediately, and multiple picks left. The gap between the #2 and the rest of the Safeties is clearly wider than the gap between the #3 WR and the next, say 5 or 6 to be taken. Good work IMHO.

NDVikingFan66
04-27-2012, 08:59 AM
Browns: Rick, We'll give you our 1st, 4th, 5th & 7th round picks for your 1st round pick.

Spielman: OK

No, I am going to give more credit than that to Spielman. I thought it was a brillant move.

RK.
04-27-2012, 10:10 AM
I think he told the Browns that if they didn't do this deal we would trade down with Tampa and the Browns would lose out on Richardson which was their #1 focuse in the draft. We have so many holes that Kalil, Claiborne or Blackmon would have worked for us. We really had nothing to lose by trading either way.

vikesrgreat2
04-27-2012, 10:18 AM
I'm really happy with the Vikings' draft selections so far. To be able to draft Kalil and get 3 draft picks to boot really shows nice work by Spielman and Co..

I was especially happy with the Vikings trading into the bottom part of the first round and drafting Harrison Smith. In my opinion, Smith was the best player available at #29, and simultaneously filled a severe need for the team.

Given that the Vikings still have 10 draft picks, it would make sense for them to use 1 or 2 of those picks and trade up for a good second-round player, with emphasis on the WR and CB positions. Sounds like Trumaine Johnson of Montana could be a nice pick for the Vikings. Thoughts?

bleedpurple
04-27-2012, 11:08 AM
I thought Smith would have been there in the 2nd with our pick... Thought the move up was a little unnecessary... Would have rather had the GT wr. Steven Hill... We filled a need but I dont' think we needed to move up to do it... Hope it works out...

We definitely need a tall deep threat.. not sure where that will come from....

ShowingMyHorns
04-27-2012, 11:42 AM
vikings came in with 10 picks, left the first round with Kalil, Smith and 10 picks left. My hat goes off to you mr. Spielman. Were are all the Spielman haters now? in the woods thats where.

psahni
04-27-2012, 11:48 AM
I'm still a Speilman Rounds 2-5 hater let's see what happens. If its mid-late 2nd and Janoris Jenkins is on the board I want to move back up and take him. I agree we needed safety but with a Solid cover corner and Winfield getting older why can't we move Winfield back there?

Also I really want a strong possession receiver -- not too crazy about YAC but a guy that can go up and get it. I like Tommy Streeter later. Another S would be ideal too and an OLB.

kevoncox
04-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Nice showing so far. Obviously Kalil was a must. Everything I've seen about Harrison Smith puts him at FS- solid pick. The best SS left are Brandon Taylor, LSU and Antonio Allen, South Carolina.
Lot's of potential at CB and WR left, especially if we can get back into Rd2.
For Day 3 or UDFA, how about another Moss? Dale Moss, WR from SDSU (local boy),
wowed scouts at SDSU Pro Day, 6'3" 213, runs 4.41 with a 41" vertical.

He is very high in his cuts and very deliberate based on what I say. NFL Cbs would eat that up alive. Not a perfect video just saying what I saw.

kevoncox
04-27-2012, 11:59 AM
I think you misunderstood. People never said he couldn't draft well with 1st round picks. Everyone wasis concerned with what he does with our mid round picks. We have to draft talent. We need to find a couple Anthony Hernadez's in the 4th and 5th rounds.

Johnson14
04-27-2012, 12:39 PM
To be honest, it was a first round that couldn't REALLY be messed up. If Ricky can get us back in round 2, and gets a decent WR then i will give him credit.

On a side note...

Delighted to see 28yr old QB Brandon Weeden drafted, guy can play, glad he gets a shot, despite his age, though sucks for McCoy, that kid looks like he has a future in the NFL.

Formo
04-27-2012, 12:50 PM
I thought Smith would have been there in the 2nd with our pick... Thought the move up was a little unnecessary... Would have rather had the GT wr. Steven Hill... We filled a need but I dont' think we needed to move up to do it... Hope it works out...

We definitely need a tall deep threat.. not sure where that will come from....

There's a huge drop off in 'prospects' at the Safety position after Smith. If someone else snatched him before our 2nd rounder, the Vikings would have been SOL on getting a solid to good safety this draft (and would have most likely gotten a Tyrell 2.0).

Both the Rams and Colts could probably use help at DB/S, and not to mention any other teams lacking a safety that were looking to trade up as well.

I'm completely ok with trading up for Smith.

mountainviking
04-27-2012, 01:47 PM
LOVE IT!! I think we filled our two biggest holes. We had nothing at LT or Safety. Now we have starters at both positions. WIN-WIN Spielman.

I'm still hoping for a WR too. Most of the 2nd round mocks have Hill and Randle gone by the 10th pick or so and, unfortunately, our next 4th is only enough firepower to get our 3rd up to about the 25 pick tonight. Unless we go big and drop next year's 2nd AND this year's third, I don't see us getting one of the true deep threats left. Probably better to sit tight, maybe even look for a steal of BPA at DT or MLB or ??? and then double down on WRs with potential later by dropping two mid picks on guys like Tommy Streeter, Dale Moss, Chris Givens, or TY Hilton.

keystonevike
04-27-2012, 09:52 PM
I LOVE THESE PICKS! Filling a major hole on the o line and Smith should really help our d backfield.

Caine
04-28-2012, 07:19 AM
NOT Thrilled with the Kalil pick.

I think that the importance of a great LT is over stated, and while I have no doubt that Kalil will be a great player, I don't think that POSITIONALLY this was the right way to go. IMO, Blackmon was the better pick here as WR is a position we are SORELY understrength at, and a solid LT would still be available later.

Smith and Robinson are also decent picks - and address another area of need - but I am still concerned with the lack of attention to the WR position. Hopefully, Rick doesn't believe that his FA acquisitions will be sufficient.

I also would have been happy to see a DT selected - as we need to replace Pat's impact, and Kevin isn't getting younger. LB is another position I would have liked addressed as I don't believe that the Henderson's have been playing "lights out".

Truth is, we have so many areas of need that Rick can pick anywhere and someone will be happy - I just prioritize my areas of need differently as I have WR as #1 with a bullet.

Caine

NDVikingFan66
04-28-2012, 08:37 AM
I guess though I think we have selected quality players, at positions of need, and have not reached, I am fairly happy.

My personal opinion is with the way the NFL is progressing, we need playmakers. The area I think we missed so far is WR. I was hoping to package up some picks and move up. I was a bit disappointed we took Robinson, and not a WR, but not sure how the player rankings laid out and who was still available.

In the words of Paul Allen, 2012 is the year of Christian Ponder. My feeling if that is the case, we better get him some weapons.

Johnson14
04-28-2012, 09:02 AM
I guess though I think we have selected quality players, at positions of need, and have not reached, I am fairly happy.

My personal opinion is with the way the NFL is progressing, we need playmakers. The area I think we missed so far is WR. I was hoping to package up some picks and move up. I was a bit disappointed we took Robinson, and not a WR, but not sure how the player rankings laid out and who was still available.

In the words of Paul Allen, 2012 is the year of Christian Ponder. My feeling if that is the case, we better get him some weapons.

+1

Ricky dropped a ball on that one, LSU's Randle was dropping all the time and we could have got him, a player who would have started on this team and been an impact player. Instead we sat tight and picked a CB who despite being lightening quick, will not start on this team, least not this coming season.

singersp
04-28-2012, 09:21 AM
NOT Thrilled with the Kalil pick.

I think that the importance of a great LT is over stated, and while I have no doubt that Kalil will be a great player, I don't think that POSITIONALLY this was the right way to go. IMO, Blackmon was the better pick here as WR is a position we are SORELY understrength at, and a solid LT would still be available later.

Smith and Robinson are also decent picks - and address another area of need - but I am still concerned with the lack of attention to the WR position. Hopefully, Rick doesn't believe that his FA acquisitions will be sufficient.

I also would have been happy to see a DT selected - as we need to replace Pat's impact, and Kevin isn't getting younger. LB is another position I would have liked addressed as I don't believe that the Henderson's have been playing "lights out".

Truth is, we have so many areas of need that Rick can pick anywhere and someone will be happy - I just prioritize my areas of need differently as I have WR as #1 with a bullet.

Caine

While I disagree with your stance on the Kahil pick, I agree with your concern at the WR position. The Vikings were sitting with 13 picks in this draft & failed to use them to move up in the draft & take a WR.

Smith was an alright pick, but we should have traded up to grab the best WR additionally.

We could have had Asante Samuel for a 7th round pick which would have bolstered our DB corp that had Smith, Cook, Carr & Winfield & further addressed DB needs next draft.

We still have gaping needs at WR & on the OL at the G & RT positions. I am not a big fan of Loadholt, who like McKinnie is too slow & poor at pass blocking. Not only does he draw too many flags, but he gave up 9 sacks last year as well.

singersp
04-28-2012, 09:38 AM
To be honest, it was a first round that couldn't REALLY be messed up. If Ricky can get us back in round 2, and gets a decent WR then i will give him credit.

Well I guess it didn't happen in round 2 or round 3.

Perhaps he'll take a WR with one of the 3 7th round picks. I get the uncomfortable feeling Spielman is happy & content & believes we're set at WR with his signing of Jerome Simpson.

singersp
04-28-2012, 09:48 AM
No, I am going to give more credit than that to Spielman. I thought it was a brillant move.

You can if you want to, but Cleveland's GM already knew what was offered to the Vikings by another team & came back to them with a better deal.

"I know exactly what was offered to Minnesota, so we knew we had to trade to get him if we wanted him," Heckert said at his press conference Thursday night, according to a transcript on the Cleveland Plain Dealer website. "I know that for a fact."

Vikings had another trade offer on table, Cleveland Browns GM insists - TwinCities.com (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_20496132/vikings-had-another-trade-offer-table-cleveland-browns?source=rss)

RK.
04-28-2012, 09:55 AM

I agree with getting him some protection first. If you are scraping your QB off the turf every snap all the WR in the world will mean nothing. It takes time for a WR to get into his pattern. If Ponder has someone in his face 3 seconds after the snap or blind siding him, well..........................

tastywaves
04-28-2012, 10:07 AM
You can if you want to, but Cleveland's GM already knew what was offered to the Vikings by another team & came back to them with a better deal.

Vikings had another trade offer on table, Cleveland Browns GM insists - TwinCities.com (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_20496132/vikings-had-another-trade-offer-table-cleveland-browns?source=rss)

How do you suppose they knew?

You don't have to anoint this guy a genius, but he does deserve some credit for taking advantage of the position he was in.