PDA

View Full Version : House rejects Vikings stadium proposal

skum
04-17-2012, 12:13 AM
House rejects Vikings stadium proposal (http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/04/16/12/House-rejects-Vikings-stadium-proposal/landing_mnvikings.html?blockID=710826&feedID=5930)

It will soon be to late guys.. From Tom Pelissero

"Mark Wilf and Lester Bagley were tempted to drop the bomb tonight. Bet they wait til it's officially dead for the session. But it'll happen."

- Bomb = relocation

""Somebody's going to have to pull a rabbit out of a hat for this thing to be alive at this point," said Rep. Morrie Lanning"

- Hopefully there is a magician in the MN House

"Lester Bagley, the Vikings' point man on the stadium push at the Capitol, said afterward that the team was "extremely disappointed" at the outcome. "I guess I would ask the state, what else would you expect us to do? What else can we do?" he said. "

- I hope he gets a quick answer

"Rep. Dean Urdahl, R-Grove City, raised a question frequently heard from stadium bill critics as the team's bid has dominated headlines: "Why should we help a billionaire build a stadium he can afford to build himself?""

- DUH!! This guy really doesnt get it

AngloVike
04-17-2012, 04:49 AM
So they get their way with a proposal in Minneapolis instead of Arden Hills, they get the Vikes to put in more money that was originally suggested and still they're not happy??

I know it won't happen as not good business sense, but I'd love Zygi to pay for the entire stadium himself with no contribution from the state. Then he could just pay the necessary state taxes etc and keep all the rest for himself and say " screw you " to the local/state government. They can then keep the Dome for whatever they wish, assuming events wanted to use that instead of Zygi's new complex. Lets see how that works for you and then you can start cutting back on the cultural side of things and let the arty farty types work out how THEY'RE going to fund something they feel is important to them.

Honestly I thought local government in the UK was petty and narrow minded, MN seems to want to take it to a complete new level - wankers !

bleedpurple
04-17-2012, 09:51 AM
So they get their way with a proposal in Minneapolis instead of Arden Hills, they get the Vikes to put in more money that was originally suggested and still they're not happy??

I know it won't happen as not good business sense, but I'd love Zygi to pay for the entire stadium himself with no contribution from the state. Then he could just pay the necessary state taxes etc and keep all the rest for himself and say " screw you " to the local/state government. They can then keep the Dome for whatever they wish, assuming events wanted to use that instead of Zygi's new complex. Lets see how that works for you and then you can start cutting back on the cultural side of things and let the arty farty types work out how THEY'RE going to fund something they feel is important to them.

Honestly I thought local government in the UK was petty and narrow minded, MN seems to want to take it to a complete new level - wankers !

I think the legislature gets it.... but they want to get re-elected.... Wilf needs to make like President Obama or something and do a town hall meeting, make a commercial, whatever. to explain to the rowdy citizens and haters of the plan why it needs to get done...

It will benefit the state as much if not more than the vikings... Not to mention the Twins stadium they just built... they should have done a joint stadium like last time and all this would have been taken care of!

NodakPaul
04-17-2012, 09:57 AM
I think it is time for the Wilfs to put the Vikings up for sale.

They have put seven years into a losing effort against the simple minded politicians of Minnesota. Politicians that most of YOU, the people of Minnesota, voted for. It isn't going to happen.

Every year that they don't approve a new stadium, two things happen: 1) The price on construction goes up significantly, and 2) the Vikings are that much closer to leaving. The deal for the state is not going to get any better - it is going to get worse every year up to the point that there is no professional football team in Minnesota.

And there won't be another expansion team for them to lobby for. Not this time. The NFL isn't interested into expanding domestically - there is no extra money in it. It won't be like the Timberwolves/Lakers or the Wild/Northstars. It will just be done. No more.

It is time for Zygi to publicly put the team up for sale, and let the state know that it will remain for sale until the state pulls their heads out of their asses and passes a stadium bill, or someone buys the team. And if I were Zygi, I would cap the private money for a stadium right now. $400 million, and not a dime more regardless of how much construction costs go up. The state is the one pissing away money now. If the team moves, I will still be a fan of the team. F the state of Minnesota. Not my state (thank God).

Everyone who was so adamantly against public funding for a stadium the past few years (and you know who you are on this forum), look at where views like yours have gotten us. The state is left with the choice of paying more for a stadium or not having a team. I hope you're proud. Way to go Minnesota.

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

NodakPaul
04-17-2012, 10:08 AM
I think the legislature gets it.... but they want to get re-elected.... Wilf needs to make like President Obama or something and do a town hall meeting, make a commercial, whatever. to explain to the rowdy citizens and haters of the plan why it needs to get done...

It will benefit the state as much if not more than the vikings... Not to mention the Twins stadium they just built... they should have done a joint stadium like last time and all this would have been taken care of!

I don't think the legislature gets it. I believe that they think that the Vikings cant or wont leave. Or they believe that somehow the price of construction is going to magically go down. They are wrong on both points.

Here is a perfect example of how they don't get it:

“Without (a public vote by Minneapolis on a stadium) we are doing a disservice to the people of Minneapolis,” Rep. Dave Hancock, R-Bemidji
WRONG! The disservice to the people of Minneapolis would be allowing the stadium to leave Minneapolis for either another city or another state. What do they think will happen to the area that the dome occupies now. It is tentatively hanging on at best - if the stadium isn't there it will become an economic hole. All that effort they are putting into revitalizing Washington street will fall off, and that area of the city, with all of its parking lots and half empty buildings will become a slum. Do you want to see what a midwest urban area with negative economic growth looks like. Take a look at Detroit. It isn't a pretty picture. That would be a disservice to the people of Minneapolis.

Ozzie
04-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Good freaking hell! I always thought something would eventually get done. This is the first time that I'm thinking they are actually gone....

How can there be no Minnesota Vikings? You can't just switch your favorite team after 26 + years, or pry the worn bumper stickers of my truck, or throw away the jersey's, hats, hoodies, golf covers and all the rest of the shit...Damn, this is not good.

bleedpurple
04-17-2012, 10:14 AM
I don't think the legislature gets it. I believe that they think that the Vikings cant or wont leave. Or they believe that somehow the price of construction is going to magically go down. They are wrong on both points.

Here is a perfect example of how they don't get it:

WRONG! The disservice to the people of Minneapolis would be allowing the stadium to leave Minneapolis for either another city or another state. What do they think will happen to the area that the dome occupies now. It is tentatively hanging on at best - if the stadium isn't there it will become an economic hole. All that effort they are putting into revitalizing Washington street will fall off, and that area of the city, with all of its parking lots and half empty buildings will become a slum. Do you want to see what a midwest urban area with negative economic growth looks like. Take a look at Detroit. It isn't a pretty picture. That would be a disservice to the people of Minneapolis.

Additionally, due to all the lawsuits that the union has filed in Minnesota with the laws different in Minny than other states, i.e. the Williams wall suit, NFLPA collusion and antitrust lawsuit during the CBA...

Best believe, if the Vikings leave there is no way Minnesota gets another team... not through relocation, expansion nothing....

bleedpurple
04-17-2012, 10:15 AM
I think it is time for the Wilfs to put the Vikings up for sale.

They have put seven years into a losing effort against the simple minded politicians of Minnesota. Politicians that most of YOU, the people of Minnesota, voted for. It isn't going to happen.

Every year that they don't approve a new stadium, two things happen: 1) The price on construction goes up significantly, and 2) the Vikings are that much closer to leaving. The deal for the state is not going to get any better - it is going to get worse every year up to the point that there is no professional football team in Minnesota.

And there won't be another expansion team for them to lobby for. Not this time. The NFL isn't interested into expanding domestically - there is no extra money in it. It won't be like the Timberwolves/Lakers or the Wild/Northstars. It will just be done. No more.

It is time for Zygi to publicly put the team up for sale, and let the state know that it will remain for sale until the state pulls their heads out of their asses and passes a stadium bill, or someone buys the team. And if I were Zygi, I would cap the private money for a stadium right now. $400 million, and not a dime more regardless of how much construction costs go up. The state is the one pissing away money now. If the team moves, I will still be a fan of the team. F the state of Minnesota. Not my state (thank God).

Everyone who was so adamantly against public funding for a stadium the past few years (and you know who you are on this forum), look at where views like yours have gotten us. The state is left with the choice of paying more for a stadium or not having a team. I hope you're proud. Way to go Minnesota.

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

Putting the team up for sale is not going to get the legislature to move on a stadium... Threatening the move the team is going to get them off their butts... A threaten of a sale still keeps the team in Minnesota and actually buys the legislature more time!

bleedpurple
04-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Good freaking hell! I always thought something would eventually get done. This is the first time that I'm thinking they are actually gone....

How can there be no Minnesota Vikings? You can't just switch your favorite team after 26 + years, or pry the worn bumper stickers of my truck, or throw away the jersey's, hats, hoodies, golf covers and all the rest of the shit...Damn, this is not good.

HA!! they will be good souvenirs....

MaxVike
04-17-2012, 10:20 AM
McCombs gave up. The Wilfs won't, they will relocate. What a clusterfuck.

NodakPaul
04-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Putting the team up for sale is not going to get the legislature to move on a stadium... Threatening the move the team is going to get them off their butts... A threaten of a sale still keeps the team in Minnesota and actually buys the legislature more time!

I am not talking about doing something to buy the legislature more time. They have had enough time. They are out of time.

Put the team up for sale and one of two things will happen. 1) Someone will buy the team, and they can either move the team or deal with the children in the legislature, or 2) The legislature will push through a stadium bill and Zygi can take the team off the market.

This wouldn't be a threat, or some way to buy the legislatures more time. It is reality.

NodakPaul
04-17-2012, 10:26 AM

I actually think the Wilfs will sell before they relocate. But if they (or whoever they sell the team to) does relocate, I am just fine with that. My season tickets might get a little more expensive, but it isn't like I have some kind of allegiance with Minnesota at this point. Screw Minnesota. I will remain a fan of the team.

RK.
04-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Why would he sell the team? Easier to just move it to a state and city that would love to have an NFL franchise bringing in money. I think what is partly responsible for this is the whole class warfare thing that is going on in the country with the elections. ie "We need to get those rich people." I guess the occupy people can occupy the Dome now since it doesn't look like the Vikings will be for much longer. I guess we should start hoarding "Minnesota Viking" memorabilia since it will be worth money some day like Brooklyn Dodgers stuff. See, there is always an upside to the down side. :irked:

jmcdon00
04-17-2012, 10:41 AM
It's not over til the fat lady sings, this could still go in many different directions. This was a tough blow though.

bleedpurple
04-17-2012, 10:42 AM
I am not talking about doing something to buy the legislature more time. They have had enough time. They are out of time.

Put the team up for sale and one of two things will happen. 1) Someone will buy the team, and they can either move the team or deal with the children in the legislature, or 2) The legislature will push through a stadium bill and Zygi can take the team off the market.

This wouldn't be a threat, or some way to buy the legislatures more time. It is reality.

I think your flat out wrong... If puts the team up for sale.. Noone is going buy the team with the current stadium situation... hence... legislature gets more time to drag their feet.

The only way they move on a stadium is if he threatens or notifies the NFL of their intent to move... Nothing else will get them to push through a stadium...

Especially not putting the team up for sale... that just makes no sense!

NodakPaul
04-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Why would he sell the team? Easier to just move it to a state and city that would love to have an NFL franchise bringing in money. I think what is partly responsible for this is the whole class warfare thing that is going on in the country with the elections. ie "We need to get those rich people." I guess the occupy people can occupy the Dome now since it doesn't look like the Vikings will be for much longer. I guess we should start hoarding "Minnesota Viking" memorabilia since it will be worth money some day like Brooklyn Dodgers stuff. See, there is always an upside to the down side. :irked:

I think he will sell the team, or at least put it up for sale, because it gives him the two best options.

I believe given the choice, Wilf would rather keep the team in Minnesota with a new stadium. Not only would it be a revenue generator for him, but I think he genuinely enjoys owning an NFL team. Putting it up for sale, as opposed to announcing intention to move the team, still allows a chance for the legislature to get it right. But if they don't, he will still make money on the sale - not enough to recoup the money or opportunity cost he has put into the team over the past seven years, but enough to not call the ownership a failure.

NodakPaul
04-17-2012, 10:54 AM
I think your flat out wrong... If puts the team up for sale.. Noone is going buy the team with the current stadium situation... hence... legislature gets more time to drag their feet.

The only way they move on a stadium is if he threatens or notifies the NFL of their intent to move... Nothing else will get them to push through a stadium...

Especially not putting the team up for sale... that just makes no sense!

Anyone interested in buying the team would be doing so with one intent - to move the team. It would be a very attractive sale to a group who wanted to bring a team to another city. Somehow you seem to be missing that point.

Threatening to move the team or notifying the NFL of intent to move (which BTW, you have to have a destination to notify them) will do nothing other than steel the legislature against Wilf, the same way it did against McComb. Putting the team up for sale gives the legislature an out - a way to "save" the team still.

And if they don't take that out, I honestly don't care. Sell the team to someone who will move it. Minnesota will get what it deserves.

bleedpurple
04-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Anyone interested in buying the team would be doing so with one intent - to move the team. It would be a very attractive sale to a group who wanted to bring a team to another city. Somehow you seem to be missing that point.

Threatening to move the team or notifying the NFL of intent to move (which BTW, you have to have a destination to notify them) will do nothing other than steel the legislature against Wilf, the same way it did against McComb. Putting the team up for sale gives the legislature an out - a way to "save" the team still.

And if they don't take that out, I honestly don't care. Sell the team to someone who will move it. Minnesota will get what it deserves.

your contradicting yourself... if wilf like owning a team so much then he'll move it to LA himself... either way it doesnt' get the legislature to act on anything... plus any sale of the team would entail a notification anyway....

If he notifies he gets to keep the team and force the legislature to act....

PLUS, if he sales the team he won't get top return on his investment without a stadium... he might as well move it himself...

either way, the threat of a sale doesn't make the legislature do anything... Further, Fuck the legislature.. If you were in his shoes after all the runarounds they have given him you think he cares to help them save face??? HIGHLY IMPROBABLE!!...

NodakPaul
04-17-2012, 12:17 PM
your contradicting yourself... if wilf like owning a team so much then he'll move it to LA himself... either way it doesnt' get the legislature to act on anything... plus any sale of the team would entail a notification anyway....

If he notifies he gets to keep the team and force the legislature to act....

PLUS, if he sales the team he won't get top return on his investment without a stadium... he might as well move it himself...

either way, the threat of a sale doesn't make the legislature do anything... Further, Fuck the legislature.. If you were in his shoes after all the runarounds they have given him you think he cares to help them save face??? HIGHLY IMPROBABLE!!...

Agree to disagree. You don't seem to be grasping what I am saying, and that's OK. In the end it doesn't matter because neither one of us are in a position to influence the Vikings ownership. Whatever happens from this point out, I put squarely on the shoulders of the inept legislature, not the Vikings.

MorrisCaliborne
04-17-2012, 12:45 PM
This is probably the last season in Minnesota so enjoy it while you can!

ShowingMyHorns
04-17-2012, 01:59 PM
my letter to the legislature this morning....

Dear Inadequate Minnesota Leadership,

I am writing this letter, not to insult, simply to inform you of my out of state opinion on the Minnesota stadium issue. I live in Lincoln, NE and we are having a sports complex built near the downtown area which we refer to as the "Haymarket". While it is not on the scale of a purposed billion dollar stadium, it does impact out city taxes on dining, bars and a few other regular expenses to Lincoln's citizens. We do not mind paying the extra $.32-$1.00 on a meal that feeds our family if we can have a state of the art, multi-purpose facility that is used for all kinds of activities, much like the proposed "People's Stadium" in downtown Minneapolis.

If or when the stadium gets pushed to a public vote and surely shot down it will be done by the low income citizens who most likely won't go out to eat, spend money and help your economy. And might I add that the money they do spend (recklessly) was most likely funded by you yourselves and the "working" citizens of Minneapolis' tax dollars. And lastly, while this disapproval of the stadium bill was most like some Hail Mary attempt of saving your quickly fading and evidently failing political careers in MN it will most likely fail yet again. Because, the people who you "supported" in this vote are most likely not registered voters, while the people you pissed off in this vote most assuredly are. (I'm referring to Minneapolis' work force...see what i did there?).

Your opening statement last night was "why should we pay for a stadium for a billionaire?" Or some sidestepping statement to that effect. Fact of the matter is that you should be thanking Zigi and the Vikings for all the money they pump into your ever failing economy you have done nothing to boost. And furthermore the stadium isn't intended for Zigi only. Its intended for all of Minneapolis and the Vikings use it as well and will be paying dearly for it to help your economy yet again.

The facility we have built here in Lincoln is going to draw in people from all over the state and Midwest. Much like myself and family who come to Minneapolis for Vikings games and spend thousands of dollars in a given weekend on food, housing, and whatever else my wife cant live without at Mall of America. It is going to pump money into a city that is doing much better than most of the country from an economic standpoint (might i ad one of the lowest unemployment percentages in the country...see what i did there again?). You are about to miss out on a great economic boost and most likely miss out on the only votes that matter (the ones that come from registered voters) in your upcoming election. Thanks for your time

NodakPaul
04-17-2012, 02:15 PM
my letter to the legislature this morning....

Dear Inadequate Minnesota Leadership,

I am writing this letter, not to insult, simply to inform you of my out of state opinion on the Minnesota stadium issue. I live in Lincoln, NE and we are having a sports complex built near the downtown area which we refer to as the "Haymarket". While it is not on the scale of a purposed billion dollar stadium, it does impact out city taxes on dining, bars and a few other regular expenses to Lincoln's citizens. We do not mind paying the extra $.32-$1.00 on a meal that feeds our family if we can have a state of the art, multi-purpose facility that is used for all kinds of activities, much like the proposed "People's Stadium" in downtown Minneapolis.

If or when the stadium gets pushed to a public vote and surely shot down it will be done by the low income citizens who most likely won't go out to eat, spend money and help your economy. And might I add that the money they do spend (recklessly) was most likely funded by you yourselves and the "working" citizens of Minneapolis' tax dollars. And lastly, while this disapproval of the stadium bill was most like some Hail Mary attempt of saving your quickly fading and evidently failing political careers in MN it will most likely fail yet again. Because, the people who you "supported" in this vote are most likely not registered voters, while the people you pissed off in this vote most assuredly are. (I'm referring to Minneapolis' work force...see what i did there?).

Your opening statement last night was "why should we pay for a stadium for a billionaire?" Or some sidestepping statement to that effect. Fact of the matter is that you should be thanking Zigi and the Vikings for all the money they pump into your ever failing economy you have done nothing to boost. And furthermore the stadium isn't intended for Zigi only. Its intended for all of Minneapolis and the Vikings use it as well and will be paying dearly for it to help your economy yet again.

The facility we have built here in Lincoln is going to draw in people from all over the state and Midwest. Much like myself and family who come to Minneapolis for Vikings games and spend thousands of dollars in a given weekend on food, housing, and whatever else my wife cant live without at Mall of America. It is going to pump money into a city that is doing much better than most of the country from an economic standpoint (might i ad one of the lowest unemployment percentages in the country...see what i did there again?). You are about to miss out on a great economic boost and most likely miss out on the only votes that matter (the ones that come from registered voters) in your upcoming election. Thanks for your time

Nice. Let us know if you get a response. Whom in particular did you send it to?

jmcdon00
04-17-2012, 02:27 PM

Let's try to keep the politics, and class warfare out of this.

ShowingMyHorns
04-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Keep the politics out of this? really?... I think it may be a little late for that. As far as the welfare, yes i got carried away and I'm sure it lessened the impact the letter had if it had any at all. I'm sure they have received countless emails today.

As for who i sent it to all the representatives on the board last night. Its very easy to find all of their emails. They are listed on countless websites.

NodakPaul
04-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Let's try to keep the politics, and class warfare out of this.

I know what you are saying - to keep our personal politics out of the forum. But to be fair, this is a very political issue. As long as we can remain respectful, I think it is OK to talk about it.

Formo
04-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Uh oh, you made mad the liberal hippies!!

WATCH OUT!!

ShowingMyHorns
04-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Well, my apologies for bringing the politics to the table on this forum if that isn't allowed. That i would feel bad about if i broke the rules. So, sorry if that's the case. But i am not sorry for sending Minnesota's "leaders" my own and and many many others opinion on this.

Uh oh, you made mad the liberal hippies!!

WATCH OUT!!

Haha

C Mac D
04-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Minneapolis is becoming the next Balitmore/Detroit.

(only they have football teams...)

NodakPaul
04-17-2012, 04:26 PM
Sounds like Dayton is sounding the alarm...

We've got to get a stadium next year or the Vikings will leave
Dayton says stadium bill might have to wait until next year | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/147754125.html)
Minnesota governor says that, without stadium deal in 2013, Vikings will leave | ProFootballTalk (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/17/minnesota-governor-says-that-without-stadium-deal-in-2013-vikings-will-leave/)

RK.
04-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Pretty tough to keep MN politics out of this since it is a legislative decision and one that pretty much falls down party lines. Keep in mind this is not a Federal Case so no national political discussion, no tea bagging and no occupying this thread will be allowed. However discussing the politicians that are directly involved can't be helped. Any personal rants liberal or conservative or anarchist will be deleted and you risk being banned for some period of time. Keep that in mind.

Purple Floyd
04-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Everyone needs to calm down. The stadium will get passed yet. It may take some back door deals to get done but it will get done. The Vikings right now should just come out and say they will never consider the dome site again and they will only talk to alternative locations because MPLS has been the driving force behind screwing up every plan that has had a chance so far.

Lippythelion69
04-17-2012, 07:40 PM
bye bye ,,,,,Vikes
If you want 1 sports team in your city".....most people would pick NFL........I now get how michele bachmann
can get elected in Minn.

BadlandsVikings
04-17-2012, 08:47 PM
bye bye Vikings...I hope the state decides to use the stadium money to give the bike riding liberal hippies in Minneapolis more money for bike riding trails :irked:

Formo
04-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Pretty tough to keep MN politics out of this since it is a legislative decision and one that pretty much falls down party lines. Keep in mind this is not a Federal Case so no national political discussion, no tea bagging and no occupying this thread will be allowed. However discussing the politicians that are directly involved can't be helped. Any personal rants liberal or conservative or anarchist will be deleted and you risk being banned for some period of time. Keep that in mind.

Have you always been an admin? I had no idea.. Nice.

Anyway, on topic.. RK is right, there will be political discussion on this topic because.. it was the POLITICIANS that rejected this bill.

Like I said on Facebook, this isn't one parties fault or the others.. There were both democrats and republicans that voted against the bill; one DFLer and 5 GOPs that voted for it. It's called a bipartisan issue. And I recommend that those of you blaming one political demographic or the other educate yourselves on what 'bipartisan' means before you vote this November.

NodakPaul
04-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Everyone needs to calm down. The stadium will get passed yet. It may take some back door deals to get done but it will get done. The Vikings right now should just come out and say they will never consider the dome site again and they will only talk to alternative locations because MPLS has been the driving force behind screwing up every plan that has had a chance so far.

One of the many problems in the legislature right now regarding the stadium effort is the belief that a stadium deal is a foregone conclusion. It is not. Sooner or later the inept people on the hill in St Paul are going to shit on the stadium bill one too many times and the Vikings will move. I think that there is a real possibility that that time may have just occurred, or at best there is one more year left.

Every year that the legislature does not get a bill done raises the public tax commitment while at the same time losing tens of millions of dollars for the Vikings. Neither the tax base or the Vikings can afford to wait any longer.

The stadium could have been done seven years ago for cheaper, in a better location, with a 1.5 billion dollar development commitment in the surrounding area. This is government ineptness at its very worst.

Purple Floyd
04-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Ziggy screwed that one up. They have another year left to get a deal.

What incentive did the state have to build a new stadium 7 years ago when the Vikings still had 7 years left on their lease? Yes, it is now time to do something but then again in the last few rounds you must admit the state has gotten Wilf to up the vikings (or NFL) contribution significantly over what they ever proposed in the past.

The Vikings could have built the stadium themselves in 1998 for under 300 Million and had over a decade of that revenue boost in their pockets right now if they hadn't have been hell bent on a government handout. So don't come back with the lost revenue angle.:D

VKG4LFE
04-17-2012, 09:12 PM
SON OF A BITCH!! That's pretty much all I have on this topic.

Formo
04-17-2012, 09:24 PM

What incentive did the state have to build a new stadium 7 years ago when the Vikings still had 7 years left on their lease? Yes, it is now time to do something but then again in the last few rounds you must admit the state has gotten Wilf to up the vikings (or NFL) contribution significantly over what they ever proposed in the past.

The Vikings could have built the stadium themselves in 1998 for under 300 Million and had over a decade of that revenue boost in their pockets right now if they hadn't have been hell bent on a government handout. So don't come back with the lost revenue angle.:D

What's Zigy/Bagley have to do with that?

Purple Floyd
04-17-2012, 09:36 PM
What's Zigy/Bagley have to do with that?

Them? nothing but if we are bringing up stadium history then what the hell, might as well go back a little farther.

NodakPaul
04-17-2012, 09:53 PM

How about not costing the taxpayers an extra $183 million dollars that they didn't have to spend? I don't understand why some people think that waiting until the last possible minute to address a problem is a good practice.

If you think that the state has in any way "won" because they got Wilf to up the private contribution, just remember - It took the state an extra $183 million to get Wilf to put in an extra $165 million. Way to go legislature! You sure showed him!

And finally, we disagree on the reason the Anoka deal fell through. Minneapolis was flexing their political might with Anoka, just like they did with Arden Hills. I don't understand how you can still close your eyes to that.

Formo
04-17-2012, 10:10 PM
Too bad for the right-wing neocons that it isn't common practice for NFL team owners to build stadiums with no government help whatsoever. Then they'd have something to say right now (and this is coming from a conservative).

Look, I get the principled views on 'paying for a billionaire's stadium'.. but the fact of the matter is, it isn't common practice for NFL owners to pay for stadiums themselves (and I'd argue that the team owners that DO do this are ones that are very, VERY well established). This bill was never to 'give' or 'build' the teamowner's stadium. In fact, the STATE was to run and own the stadium. So, that would make it the STATE'S stadium and not Zigy's. The bill authors promised no public money from the general fund or no new taxes would go towards the stadium.

But it's Zigy's fault there isn't a new stadium? C'mon man.. lets be reasonable.

singersp
04-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Wilf needs to make like President Obama.....

You want Wilf to pray to Allah?

singersp
04-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Everyone needs to calm down. The stadium will get passed yet.

I believe you said that last November & again in December and again in January.

At some point you need to realize it's April & once again it won't happen this year.

Wilf opened his pie-hole & said he would never move the Vikings, so now congress is testing his word & not going to pony up any state money for a new stadium.

He'll soon give up & either move the team or as his predecessors before him did, sell the team & a year or two after that the new owner will start the cycle of wanting a new stadium all over again.

And round & round we go again.

i_bleed_purple
04-17-2012, 10:43 PM
You want Wilf to pray to Allah?

You do know Allah is another word for God right?

RK.
04-17-2012, 10:48 PM
Have you always been an admin? I had no idea.. Nice.

Your PPO team.
Show Groups - Purplepride.org Minnesota Vikings Message Board (http://www.purplepride.org/showgroups.php)

He'll soon give up & either move the team or as his predecessors before him, sell the team & a year or two after that the new owner will start the cycle of wanting a new stadium all over again.

No one buys this team without a stadium deal. It gets moved. If Wilf does move it he will simply say he is not moving the team by choice its the legislature that has forced the move.

It will be interesting to see how much this controversy affects the MN election this fall. I am not sure how much political influence the Viking fans have in MN. I assume they are a fairly large voting block.

Randy Moss
04-17-2012, 11:06 PM
I don't understand why Republicans are complaining that a billionaire might benefit from this. He would also benefit from tax cuts and virtually any other Republican policy.

And then of course you have the Democrats who are just too darn spineless to do anything...

As much as I dislike Dayton, at least he's been willing to put some political capital on the table throughout all of this. Seems he's one of the few though.

Man, I hate Minnesota politics. It's embarrassing.

singersp
04-17-2012, 11:25 PM
You do know Allah is another word for God right?

Yep.

You do realize people believe in different Gods don't you?

RK.
04-18-2012, 12:18 AM
Yep.

Ok guys lets keep this on track. This is about football and MN. Focus..............

i_bleed_purple
04-18-2012, 12:27 AM
Yep.

Yep. and you do realize Allah is also used in many different languages, including Hebrew, a religion which prays to the same god as christians, just sans Jesus.

singersp
04-18-2012, 07:01 AM
Here we go.....slap the other proposal on the wall & see if it will stick...

Vikings Stadium Update: Hennepin County To The Rescue?

Vikings Stadium Update: Hennepin County To The Rescue? - SB Nation Minnesota (http://minnesota.sbnation.com/minnesota-vikings/2012/4/17/2956509/vikings-stadium-update-hennepin-county-to-the-rescue)

Purple Floyd
04-18-2012, 07:45 AM

At some point you need to realize it's April & once again it won't happen this year.

Wilf opened his pie-hole & said he would never move the Vikings, so now congress is testing his word & not going to pony up any state money for a new stadium.

He'll soon give up & either move the team or as his predecessors before him did, sell the team & a year or two after that the new owner will start the cycle of wanting a new stadium all over again.

It's a process. You need to be prepared for things like this when you are asking the government for money. You have 2 alternatives-

1-Rely on assistance from the state and play by their rules and work in their timeline.
2- Build it yourself and work within your own time line.

Pick one and deal with it.If you cannot handle working with the government through the process of getting a funding deal passed then maybe being an NFL owner is not the right fit for you.

lumberjackgreg
04-18-2012, 07:50 AM
I'll just leave this here...

C Mac D
04-18-2012, 08:12 AM
I'll just leave this here...

If the Vikings are having trouble getting public support in MN, wait for the fans in LA.

vikinggreg
04-18-2012, 09:32 AM

Maybe we can get you to remind congress what Wilf said about Tice's job and what that really meant

ShowingMyHorns
04-18-2012, 09:48 AM
So this Hennepin deal... does that mean a new bill will be introduced and we start back from home plate? I don't know much about how all this bs rolls through the legislature but it sounds to me like the Vikings wont have the patience to wait around on a new deal to go through with the same result... again. Or am i missing the point in the Hennepin deal?

C Mac D
04-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Hennepin county is where most of the money is anyways... not a bad idea.

mountainviking
04-18-2012, 10:11 AM
The Vikings players pay state income tax don't they? SO, if the team leaves, that's what percentage of 120 million per year leaving with them, right!?!?? That is millions of dollars per year right there people!

And that's just the players. The Vikings also pay coaches, trainers, counselors etc. The Metrodome pays parking attendents, janitors, tickets sales, beer sales, food sales...thats a lot of jobs for Minnesotans, and they all pay income tax too.

Then you have the construction jobs, and last but certainly not least, all the hospitality jobs around the area. What about all the hotels, bars, taxis, busses, and restaurants around the dome? How many jobs are lost there with no Vikings down town?

And lastly, the potential other uses of a new stadium like hosting a Final-Four tournament, or a Superbowl. Just go ask Indianapolis how much money one such event brings into your town over the course of a week! Especially considering those are winter events, ie during the slowest time of the year.

So, the Vikes are asking for 400 million? Divide that over a 30 year lease, and we're only needing 13.33 million per year in income taxes to pay it off. Aren't all those jobs for Minnesotans worth it!???

Come On MAN!!! Stinking crooked politicians can't see past their own pocketbooks these days! This isn't about what the masses want, its about what's best for Minnesota, especially the downtown area, and the politicians have made it about whether they'll get re-elected or not, and like as not they don't deserve to be anyway.

NodakPaul
04-18-2012, 10:26 AM
I would like to know more about this Hennepin County deal. Are they going to circumvent the state funds and go all in with the city and Vikings? If so, why wait?

NodakPaul
04-18-2012, 10:33 AM
More about the Hennepin County Plan.

This could get interesting... UffDa, is this what you were referring to by getting the state out of the way so the county could take over?
Hennepin Co. Could Help Save Vikings Stadium Deal | KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul (http://kstp.com/article/stories/s2585968.shtml)

tastywaves
04-18-2012, 10:48 AM

This could get interesting... UffDa, is this what you were referring to by getting the state out of the way so the county could take over?
Hennepin Co. Could Help Save Vikings Stadium Deal | KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul (http://kstp.com/article/stories/s2585968.shtml)

Target Stadium District...sounds like the best idea I've heard. Not sure if it's the ideal scenario that Zygi had in mind with Wilf World, but it smells a lot better than the other site proposals.

Formo
04-18-2012, 12:02 PM
The Vikings players pay state income tax don't they? SO, if the team leaves, that's what percentage of 120 million per year leaving with them, right!?!?? That is millions of dollars per year right there people!

And that's just the players. The Vikings also pay coaches, trainers, counselors etc. The Metrodome pays parking attendents, janitors, tickets sales, beer sales, food sales...thats a lot of jobs for Minnesotans, and they all pay income tax too.

Then you have the construction jobs, and last but certainly not least, all the hospitality jobs around the area. What about all the hotels, bars, taxis, busses, and restaurants around the dome? How many jobs are lost there with no Vikings down town?

And lastly, the potential other uses of a new stadium like hosting a Final-Four tournament, or a Superbowl. Just go ask Indianapolis how much money one such event brings into your town over the course of a week! Especially considering those are winter events, ie during the slowest time of the year.

So, the Vikes are asking for 400 million? Divide that over a 30 year lease, and we're only needing 13.33 million per year in income taxes to pay it off. Aren't all those jobs for Minnesotans worth it!???

Come On MAN!!! Stinking crooked politicians can't see past their own pocketbooks these days! This isn't about what the masses want, its about what's best for Minnesota, especially the downtown area, and the politicians have made it about whether they'll get re-elected or not, and like as not they don't deserve to be anyway.

I believe that's exactly what the masses want.. How many polls have we seen on that bill where it was extremely favored with the masses? This is the political posturing by some local politicians. Hell, Rep. Peppin said the reason why she didn't vote in favor of the stadium was because she thought more democrats would vote for it so she didn't bother. WTF kind of reasoning is THAT?! One of a moron, that's what.

Formo
04-18-2012, 12:10 PM

Interesting, but here's the catch.. They are waiting for the current session to end before unveiling its' plan. But does that mean they are going to shoot for next year's session? If so, I think it's too late as the Vikings said this: "We have no plans to come back here next year. No action is a decision by the state of Minnesota"

Unless this proposal is going to be a special session, I don't see it flying either. But that is coming from a guy who's already prepared for the Vikings to leave MN.

NodakPaul
04-18-2012, 12:21 PM
Interesting, but here's the catch.. They are waiting for the current session to end before unveiling its' plan. But does that mean they are going to shoot for next year's session? If so, I think it's too late as the Vikings said this: "We have no plans to come back here next year. No action is a decision by the state of Minnesota"

Unless this proposal is going to be a special session, I don't see it flying either. But that is coming from a guy who's already prepared for the Vikings to leave MN.

I don't know how it is going to work. Does it mean that Hennepin County is going to pay what the state would have, making it a Hennepin County, Minneapolis, Vikings deal? THe video states that the county would cover $350 million of the deal, which is roughly what the State was going to pay. But they also say something about the bill being more palpable at the capital because they wouldn't have to do a referendum and there would be no Target Center renovation in the bill. IDK what this plan really is... I wish they would release some more details... Maybe it is a special session...

RK.
04-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Could work if the target people let Wilf get in on the development of some of the commercial property surrounding the stadium. He is a developer after all and that was one of the things he wanted in his first proposals.

C Mac D
04-18-2012, 02:14 PM
The fact that the state is treating this issue the same way I treated my college term papers is sad.

AngloVike
04-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Looking at this, wasn't Farmers Market mentioned in a previous suggestion as an alternative to Arden Hills? As I recall there was alot of complaining as it would impact on charity projects or organisations based there, or am I confusing it with somewhere else? If I'm not then whats changed in relation to the charities there?

Lippythelion69
04-18-2012, 04:06 PM
There has been talk of Candlestick Park hosting 2 NFL Teams.
L.A. county is broke,don't see a move to LA,unless private $ backs it.
Wilf moves his team West I believe it will increase the vaule.....
I will never watch another NFL game if the vikings move.
I don' t follow hockey because the NorthStars left,the next season i made my # 2 team, the Whalers my fav and they moved to SC.
I love the Vikes. ,been a fan scince '69 .....they move ..devastation ...sad,sad ,sad. i have a 1yr. old grandson i was hoping to follow my son and myself in our fanatical devotion..of the VIKINGS

RK.
04-18-2012, 05:15 PM
You are either a fan of the team or a Minnesota homer. I have been a fan since 1966. I lived in Montana when I became a fan. I have since lived in Minnesota (about a year in 1968), in Colorado, Texas, Southern California, Northern California, and now in New Mexico. In all those places I remained a loyal fan of the team. The history of the Vikings is not the history of Minnesota, thank gawd. Why deprive your grandson the joy of sharing being a fan with his grandpa? In short I am a VIKING fan not a Minnesota Viking fan. ;)

PackSux!
04-18-2012, 05:34 PM
You are either a fan of the team or a Minnesota homer. I have been a fan since 1966. I lived in Montana when I became a fan. I have since lived in Minnesota (about a year in 1968), in Colorado, Texas, Southern California, Northern California, and now in New Mexico. In all those places I remained a loyal fan of the team. The history of the Vikings is not the history of Minnesota, thank gawd. Why deprive your grandson the joy of sharing being a fan with his grandpa? In short I am a VIKING fan not a Minnesota Viking fan. ;)

If the Vikings leave Minnesota they will no longer be the Vikings. Even if they kept the name it would not be the same. So in short you are a Minnesota Vikings fan if you are a Vikings fan. Just my opinion anyways.

When the North Stars left I personally did not become a fan of the Dallas Stars and i would think the Majority felt the same way.

Traveling_Vike
04-18-2012, 05:57 PM
One of my favorite quotes about representative government:

Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays instead of serving you if he sacrifices it to your opinion. - Edmund Burke

As for bi-partisan, I always thought that it meant that whichever side of the political fence they're on, they'll still screw you.

So much for that.

I'm going to focus on that Week 2 visit to my home town of Indianapolis. It might just be the only chance I will ever get to see my beloved team in person.

ConnecticutViking
04-18-2012, 07:15 PM
If the Vikings leave Minnesota they will no longer be the Vikings. Even if they kept the name it would not be the same. So in short you are a Minnesota Vikings fan if you are a Vikings fan. Just my opinion anyways.

When the North Stars left I personally did not become a fan of the Dallas Stars and i would think the Majority felt the same way.

If they move, they won't be the Vikings. Another name and marketable colors will be chosen, but purple/gold seem to be a trend in LA. An ex Whalers fan here, have not watched another NHL game since they left. :( I don't think any Viking fan would become a fan of the LA Porn Stars. Houston fans didn't follow Tennesee, Baltimore didn't follow Indy, Cleveland didn't follow Ravens, LA didn't follow St. Louis. Unfortunately, Houston, Tennesee, and Cleveland didn't build a new stadium until AFTER their teams left. It seems that the local politicians felt that it was better to have an NFL team, than not having one. LA has never gotten one back since, they have not built a new stadium.

Purple Floyd
04-18-2012, 10:04 PM

Yep.

This plan makes a ton more sense. Putting the big 3 complexes in proximity to each other seems pretty logical to me and it gets the team out of the current cesspool.

singersp
04-19-2012, 08:08 AM

So I wonder if fans i Cleveland are Baltimore Ravens fans or Cleveland Brown fans? :/

I wonder if basketball fans in MN are Timberwolve fans or LA Lakers fans?

I wonder if hockey fans in MN are Wild fans or Dallas Stars fans?

singersp
04-19-2012, 08:35 AM
The Vikings already went forward with the plan that they felt had the best chance of passing & it failed.

With that said I don't think the other plans like the Farmers Market plan or the Arden Hills plan have a rats chance in passing.

Plus Dayton is already saying the stadium probably won't be addressed again until after the election, so don't be counting on anything getting done this year.

If the same congress is kept in tact, we'll still be trying to pitch the stadium to the same hard nose assholes with probably the same results. If a new congress is in place, we need to start the sales pitch all over again.

Look for a dismal Vikings team to go up for sale & don't count on them being a lock to stay in MN when they are sold.

C Mac D
04-19-2012, 08:38 AM
So I wonder if fans i Cleveland are Baltimore Ravens fans or Cleveland Brown fans? :/

I wonder if basketball fans in MN are Timberwolve fans or LA Lakers fans?

It seems like it's Minnesota that has ditched the team... not the team that has ditched Minnesota (as was the case in Cleveland). I'll remain a Vikings fan if they move. The people of Minnesota seemed to fall off their rocker over the past 10 years.

As for the Lakers, the people of Minneapolis just weren't showing up for the games despite the team winning championships.

NodakPaul
04-19-2012, 08:40 AM
If they move, they won't be the Vikings. Another name and marketable colors will be chosen, but purple/gold seem to be a trend in LA.

Not necessarily. The only city that maintained rights to its team name (and records) was Cleveland. The rest are free to keep names of change them.

NodakPaul
04-19-2012, 08:41 AM
It seems like it's Minnesota that has ditched the team... not the team that has ditched Minnesota (as was the case in Cleveland). I'll remain a Vikings fan if they move. The people of Minnesota seemed to fall off their rocker over the past 10 years.

As for the Lakers, the people of Minneapolis just weren't showing up for the games despite the team winning championships.

Agreed.

NodakPaul
04-19-2012, 08:43 AM
Yep.

This plan makes a ton more sense. Putting the big 3 complexes in proximity to each other seems pretty logical to me and it gets the team out of the current cesspool.

This plan does make more sense, but the way that they (meaning every governing body in Minnesota) is going about it is asinine. And no, this isn't just the way government works - I have been involved in government in two states. It might be the way the broke ass Minnesota government works, but it doesn't HAVE to work that way.

RK.
04-19-2012, 09:03 AM
All the teams mentioned above, Cleaveland, Indy, Houston replaced the leaving team with a new team. I wouldn't expect MN to get a new team any time soon without a stadium. I guess maybe the fans of MN just stop watching football but I doubt it. All the football fans in LA are fans of some team or another. And a lot of them are still Rams fans. For those that love the game and following the NFL season, they will continue to do so and most will pick a team they want to pull for. In this case since it is the state that is running the team out I suspect a lot of MN fans will stay fans of the team since its not their fault they had to leave. For those that can't remain a fan because they don't play 10 games a year in your home state wellll..... I guess you are not as big a fan of football as you let on. Maybe you should just become a college or high school football fan and skip the pro's.

C Mac D
04-19-2012, 09:28 AM
For those that can't remain a fan because they don't play 10 games a year in your home state wellll..... I guess you are not as big a fan of football as you let on. Maybe you should just become a college or high school football fan and skip the pro's.

Eh, to each their own I say. People have their different reasons for liking the Vikings - not sure if that means they're bad football fans.

C Mac D
04-19-2012, 09:44 AM

Brooklyn needs a football team...

mountainviking
04-19-2012, 10:17 AM

I root for the Avalanche now because they moved to CO around the same time I did. Sure, I like to yell, "Go Wild!" from time to time, but I was an Avalanche fan first.

Small consolation: they can't take the Vikings name with them. The NFL created a rule preventing the mascot from going with a franchise move. They'll have to be the LA Losers or some such...

NodakPaul
04-19-2012, 12:21 PM
I root for the Avalanche now because they moved to CO around the same time I did. Sure, I like to yell, "Go Wild!" from time to time, but I was an Avalanche fan first.

Small consolation: they can't take the Vikings name with them. The NFL created a rule preventing the mascot from going with a franchise move. They'll have to be the LA Losers or some such...

I am nearly certain that is not is a rule.

The Titans were the Tennessee Oilers in 1997 and 1998, before Bud Adams changed the name due to fan request. However, they maintain all of the Oilers heritage, including records.

The only NFL venue that retained rights to a team name and heritage was the Cleveland Browns, and that was done through a legal settlement between Cleveland, Baltimore, the Browns franchise, and the NFL. It was a unique instance.

BTW< Minnesota legislators should take a closer look at what happened in Cleveland. It is quickly going to be too little, too late for Minnesota, just like it was in Cleveland.

BadlandsVikings
04-19-2012, 12:50 PM
When they leave are

Caine
04-19-2012, 12:59 PM
When they leave are

are what?

RK.
04-19-2012, 01:03 PM
The Rams are still the Rams. The Raiders were still the Raiders in LA. I think the Vikings would still be the Vikings since I don't think that MN has a claim to the name like Cleaveland did.

ShowingMyHorns
04-19-2012, 02:11 PM
I think the discussion of if they will keep their name or not is a bit premature. Goodell is on his way to Minneapolis for a Friday morning meeting, i can only hope that the legislature doesn't take the "we will not be strong armed" stance and kill this bill to prove a point. He is a very influential person and my hope is they turn this around and on top of our excellent draft we are all out celebrating a new Vikings stadium 12 days from now! (fingers crossed.)

C Mac D
04-19-2012, 02:12 PM
When they leave areare what?

I'm on the edge of my seat...

bleedpurple
04-19-2012, 02:51 PM
If the Vikings have to move to Los Angeles to finally get a championship!!.. Then i'm cool with that!!... If those clowns dont' approve a stadium them I'm rooting for the LA Vikings or toronto vikings or wherever they move...

JUST GET US A DAMN RING!!!!

jmcdon00
04-19-2012, 03:56 PM
I think if the Vikings did move to LA they would adjust the divisions. My assumption is the vikings would join the nfc west and the Rams would join the nfc north. I would probably become a rams fan.

PackSux!
04-19-2012, 05:29 PM
I think the discussion of if they will keep their name or not is a bit premature. Goodell is on his way to Minneapolis for a Friday morning meeting, i can only hope that the legislature doesn't take the "we will not be strong armed" stance and kill this bill to prove a point. He is a very influential person and my hope is they turn this around and on top of our excellent draft we are all out celebrating a new Vikings stadium 12 days from now! (fingers crossed.)

Yes the meeting friday will be interesting. I read that Goodell is bringing the Steelers owner with him. Lets hope the promise of a superbowl coming to the new stadium is enough for the dildos in office to see the light.

BadlandsVikings
04-19-2012, 06:57 PM
When the team moves are we allowed to buy stuff from winter park?

MaxVike
04-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Commissioner Goodell: "Guys, how are you today? We are here today to discuss the clusterfuck stadium issue for the Vikings, the MINNESOTA VIKINGS. Figure it out. Have a great day."

vikingsflow
04-19-2012, 11:28 PM
Damn we could really use a new stadium this sucks!

singersp
04-20-2012, 07:13 AM
Vikings stadium: Breathe people, breathe

Vikings stadium: Breathe people, breathe - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/57207/vikings-stadium-breathe-people-breathe)

League executive vice president Eric Grubman confirmed there are "plenty of willing buyers" who want to purchase and presumably relocate the team. Vikings vice president Lester Bagley made the media rounds Thursday, saying the team has done all it can and urging state legislators to reconsider before the team considers other options.

You should be aware that NFL teams have acted swifly in the past, relocating without giving a deadline or even an explicit warning. There would be nothing stopping Wilf from throwing his hands up, selling the team to a Los Angeles investor next month and being done with it.

singersp
04-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Vikings Threatened? NFL Boss Headed to Capitol

Vikings Threatened? NFL Boss Headed to Capitol - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/vikings-threatened-nfl-boss-headed-capitol-16176075)

"A failure to bring this to the floor is going to be perceived by the ownership and other cities as if it came to the floor and it were voted no"

singersp
04-20-2012, 07:41 AM
Vikings Departure Could Lead To Large Fallout In Minnesota

Vikings Departure Could Lead To Large Fallout In Minnesota « CBS Minnesota (http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/04/19/vikings-departure-could-lead-to-large-fallout-in-minnesota/)

NodakPaul
04-20-2012, 08:26 AM

Vikings Threatened? NFL Boss Headed to Capitol - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/vikings-threatened-nfl-boss-headed-capitol-16176075)

From that article:

Senate Majority Leader Dave Senjem questioned how seriously lawmakers should take the suggestion that failure to pass a bill this year could cost Minnesota the Vikings.

"I think we've had this so-called warning around here for five or 10 years, so I'm not sure it's a threat," said Senjem, R-Rochester. He later added: "I think the Vikings are probably going to be around another year or so."

Part of me is starting to want the Vikings to move, just because of people like this who dismiss it as a possibility, and therefore aren't making an effort.

MaxVike
04-20-2012, 08:30 AM

This Legislature has two weeks to get this done or they will be explaining how they fucked up 50 years of tradition. Every time I land at the Philly airport (which is often), I look at Citizens Bank Park, Lincoln Financial Field, and the Wells Fargo Center...all within walking distance of each other, and wonder why Minnesota has such a hard time.

tarkenton10
04-20-2012, 08:51 AM
This Legislature has two weeks to get this done or they will be explaining how they fucked up 50 years of tradition. Every time I land at the Philly airport (which is often), I look at Citizens Bank Park, Lincoln Financial Field, and the Wells Fargo Center...all within walking distance of each other, and wonder why Minnesota has such a hard time.

I have had enough of these screwed up politicians, I will pray every night that the team moves to LA and they never get an NFL team again. Screw all the people and politicians in Minnesota they can rot for all I care. They screwed up the Lakers and they left and begged the NBA for another team and had to build a stadium to lure the NBA back. Then they let the North Stars go and guess what, they had to try to lure the NHL back and build a stadium. And who was more important the Gophers or the Vikings, COMPLETE IDIOTS!!!! Now they are acting like idiots AGAIN and play chicken with the owners of the Vikings and almost daring them to leave. I hope Minnesota never gets another NFL team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tastywaves
04-20-2012, 10:55 AM
From that article:

Part of me is starting to want the Vikings to move, just because of people like this who dismiss it as a possibility, and therefore aren't making an effort.

Are any of the politicians voting on the stadium qualified to make an informed decision? Seems like they are just exercising power, without any real concern of the impact. Where are the bribes and special interest groups at when you need them. Throw a couple hookers (with photos) and a few G's at these morons and get the votes you need.

singersp
04-20-2012, 12:18 PM
I have had enough of these screwed up politicians, I will pray every night that the team moves to LA and they never get an NFL team again. Screw all the people and politicians in Minnesota they can rot for all I care. They screwed up the Lakers and they left and begged the NBA for another team and had to build a stadium to lure the NBA back. Then they let the North Stars go and guess what, they had to try to lure the NHL back and build a stadium. And who was more important the Gophers or the Vikings, COMPLETE IDIOTS!!!! Now they are acting like idiots AGAIN and play chicken with the owners of the Vikings and almost daring them to leave. I hope Minnesota never gets another NFL team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to the other article I posted, a North Star player at the time they left said they never would have left if the state had paid for a new arena for them to play in. The cost was $15 million & the state shot it down, so the Stars moved to Texas.

In order to entice a new NHL franchise back into MN, they voted to build a new arena. The cost was $285 million.

What part of that can't congress grasp?

bleedpurple
04-20-2012, 12:35 PM

If the Vikings leave, they almost suredly wont' get another team.... EVER!!! take that to the bank!

tastywaves
04-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Vikings stadium: 'A reality check' (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/40920/vikings-stadium-a-reality-check)

"This is it, folks," Gov. Mark Dayton said during a post-meeting news conference.

"They served us a reality check," state Sen. Julie Rosen said.

"Things will have to be moving a little bit more quickly," House Speaker Kurt Zellers said.

"The writing is on the wall," Dayton added.

Legislators from both houses and parties emerged with clear marching orders: Revive a stadium bill that died in a committee earlier this week or face the departure of the franchise. Goodell said he made "no implied threats or any threats at all," but in reality he didn't need to. As we discussed Thursday, the team and league are giving the state another 10 or so days of exclusivity before opening the door to relocation alternatives.

Will Goodell's visit be enough for them to understand that the option of the Vikings leaving MN is real. And, do they care. Looks like we'll find out about the time we land our next set of recruits.

marshallvike
04-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Zygi Wilf's jet reportedly spotted at airport in Southern California - Minnesota Vikings news | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Zygi_Wilfs_jet_reportedly_spotted_at_airport_in_Southern_California041912)

With the Minnesota Vikings making it clear that time is running out for a new stadium to be approved by the state legislature, a private plane belonging to owner Zygi Wilf was spotted at a Southern California airport on Thursday, according to the Los Angeles Daily News.

The newspaper also reported that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell recently met privately in Los Angeles with Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa to talk about, among other things, the NFL relocating to Los Angeles.

PackSux!
04-20-2012, 05:03 PM

Screw you asshat! Take your insult to us Minnesotans and stick it up your ass. I agree with you on the politicians part , but there is no reason to say that about us people.

shockzilla
04-20-2012, 06:05 PM
NFL Commish, MN Governor talk stadium urgency (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-commish-minn-governor-talk-194401640--nfl.html;_ylt=AqVmIkRGLBEzupB0SRL4B0tDubYF)

Democratic Rep. Mary Murphy, a 35-year Capitol veteran, said she is undecided on the Vikings stadium and doesn't anticipate taking a side until she sees the final bill. But Murphy said she senses sentiment is shifting in favor of the Vikings and the visibility campaign by the NFL could play a part as the session wanes. More calls and emails are coming in, too.

''We're going into the final weeks. People are going to be more vocal as we're out and about'' back home, Murphy said. ''I just have a feeling it's shifting for the stadium. People's attitudes are.''

Dibbzz
04-20-2012, 07:42 PM
Well it looks like (for the time being) the Commish's plan to fly in today might have forced the hand of our Legislative "Leaders":

Minn. Senate committee revives Vikings stadium bill, keeps effort alive at Capitol
Minn. Senate committee revives Vikings stadium bill, keeps effort alive at Capitol - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/minn-senate-committee-revives-vikings-stadium-bill-keeps-effort-alive-at-capitol/2012/04/20/gIQA5mMeWT_story.html)

jmcdon00
04-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Still not sure why stadium naming rights are counting as part of the Vikings contribution. If the state owns the stadium shouldn't they have naming rights? Not that it matters much, we must build a stadium, but that part still bothers me a bit.

NodakPaul
04-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Still not sure why stadium naming rights are counting as part of the Vikings contribution. If the state owns the stadium shouldn't they have naming rights? Not that it matters much, we must build a stadium, but that part still bothers me a bit.

That isn't all that rare. In fact, the Vikings have field naming rights at the Metrodome now, which is why it is the "Mall of America Field at the HHH Metrodome".

The state and the Vikings are partners in the stadium, with each getting certain negotiated benefits. The state retains ownership and exclusivity in use outside the 10-12 NFL games that could be played there, and the Vikings retain things like naming rights.

It is pretty fair IMHO. If the state wanted to keep 100% of the revenue streams, well, they would have to pay for 100% of the stadium, now wouldn't they...

RK.
04-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Vikings Stadium Bill Keeps Capitol Momentum

Dayton: 50/50 chance for stadium deal this session

Updated: Tuesday, 24 Apr 2012, 7:07 PM CDT
Published : Tuesday, 24 Apr 2012, 11:30 AM CDT

ST. PAUL, Minn. (FOX 9) - The Minnesota Vikings stadium bill took another step toward a floor vote in the stae House and Senate on Tuesday, moving through the Senate jobs committee on a unanimous voice vote after a four-hour debate. Next up – the finance committee.

Gov. Mark Dayton said Tuesday morning he thinks there’s a 50/50 chance a Vikings stadium bill will pass this legislative session.

Read more: Vikings Stadium Bill Keeps Capitol Momentum Vikings Stadium Bill Keeps Capitol Momentum (http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/minnesota/vikings-stadium-senate-hearing-apr-24-2012#ixzz1t14Tg8nC)

Vikings Stadium Bill Keeps Capitol Momentum (http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/minnesota/vikings-stadium-senate-hearing-apr-24-2012)