PDA

View Full Version : Everson Griffen

SharperImage
04-15-2012, 09:49 PM
I went back on my DVR today and watched 10 vikings games. I was sick and had nothing else better to do. I was really impressed by Everson Griffen. Remember we got him in the 4th round, when he was projected to be a 1st round pick. I think Everson Griffen is rotting away on the bench behind JA. JA is turning 30, and is at his prime for trade bait. Griffen is extremely fast and strong, he reminds me of a young Dwight Freeney. Every play he was in the game, he was hitting someone, or sacking the QB. On KRs he is running stride for stride with percy harvin. If i was the vikings, I'd definitely consider pairing him with Robison and let them destroy O-Lines. We made the right choice n picking Robison over Edwards, I think the next right choice is to let Everson Griffen start.

Purple Floyd
04-15-2012, 10:55 PM
What about griffin replacing Robison so we have him opposite Allen. It seems Robison disappeared too often in games last year.

Johnson14
04-16-2012, 02:06 PM
YES!!... Big fan of Griffen, the kid will be starting at LDE soon imho.

Speed, Power and Talent.. and he seems to have got his act together off the field too (you could learn a lot Chris Cook) and played his heart out last year.

Not sold on B-Rob one bit, thought people were too quick to swing off his nuts last year for the slightest thing.

battleaxe4cheese
04-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Robison did ok last year and I would like to see an open competition between the two for starting LDE. Robison reached his potential in my opinion and I think Griffen has a much higher threshold than Robison. If they don't try and give him an opportunity to compete and start they are just fricken morons.

VKG4LFE
04-16-2012, 04:32 PM
I went back on my DVR today and watched 10 vikings games. I was sick and had nothing else better to do. I was really impressed by Everson Griffen. Remember we got him in the 4th round, when he was projected to be a 1st round pick. I think Everson Griffen is rotting away on the bench behind JA. JA is turning 30, and is at his prime for trade bait. Griffen is extremely fast and strong, he reminds me of a young Dwight Freeney. Every play he was in the game, he was hitting someone, or sacking the QB. On KRs he is running stride for stride with percy harvin. If i was the vikings, I'd definitely consider pairing him with Robison and let them destroy O-Lines. We made the right choice n picking Robison over Edwards, I think the next right choice is to let Everson Griffen start.

Lets not get crazy thinking that griffen can equal what JA has done. I like Griffens production don't get me wrong, nut do you think he would be able to do it without the likes of JA taking up the attention? There are very few people I'd be willing to take for JA and a first rounder is definitely not one of them.

SharperImage
08-06-2012, 11:06 PM
Man Iono about him moving to LOLB I'd prefer Griffen as a MLB. I think he could take Jaspers Job.

C Mac D
08-06-2012, 11:44 PM
I dunno... to me, it seems logical to move Brian Robison to LB and make Everson Griffin a starter at DE.

Marrdro
08-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Lets not get crazy thinking that griffen can equal what JA has done. I like Griffens production don't get me wrong, nut do you think he would be able to do it without the likes of JA taking up the attention? There are very few people I'd be willing to take for JA and a first rounder is definitely not one of them.
Only a yutz would believe that a LDE would have the same production that a RDE would. Especially considering that the only stat anyone really tracks for a RDE is sacks.

I would, however, love to have JA get the pressures and tackles that a good LDE does. Anyone remember when we had one called Ray Edwards that led the league one year and was in the top 5 the rest in those categories?

Been saying it for years......Get me a true NT/UT that can play the 1 tech and a LDE who can stop the run first and then pressure (not sack) the QB second and the scheme we are trying to run will look like it supposed to.

marshallvike
08-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Only a yutz would believe that a LDE would have the same production that a RDE would. Especially considering that the only stat anyone really tracks for a RDE is sacks.

I would, however, love to have JA get the pressures and tackles that a good LDE does. Anyone remember when we had one called Ray Edwards that led the league one year and was in the top 5 the rest in those categories?

Been saying it for years......Get me a true NT/UT that can play the 1 tech and a LDE who can stop the run first and then pressure (not sack) the QB second and the scheme we are trying to run will look like it supposed to.

Would Reggie White agree with that statement?

Marrdro
08-11-2012, 06:14 PM
LOL, well played my friend. Well played indeed. :)

vikinggreg
08-11-2012, 06:21 PM

Deacon Jones and Gino Marchetti along with Reggie White were the picks at end for the 75th Anniversary All-Time NFL Team and they were all LDE's

Marrdro
08-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Deacon Jones and Gino Marchetti along with Reggie White were the picks at end for the 75th Anniversary All-Time NFL Team and they were all LDE's
OK, OK, I know that there is a player or two out there for every circumstance, but you know what I mean.

Generally a LDE isn't considered a "Sack Artist" in a 4-3 base defense. He is a run stopper first, pass rusher second. A RDE is the exact opposite. Pass rusher first and foremost, run stopper second.

Purple Floyd
08-11-2012, 09:45 PM
OK, OK, I know that there is a player or two out there for every circumstance, but you know what I mean.

Generally a LDE isn't considered a "Sack Artist" in a 4-3 base defense. He is a run stopper first, pass rusher second. A RDE is the exact opposite. Pass rusher first and foremost, run stopper second.
The primary reason for that has nothing to do with the scheme but everything to do with the fact most QB's are right handed and rushing their blind side is the best place for your best rusher most times. Coupled with most DE's being right handed and it being more natural to rush from that side.

Marrdro
08-12-2012, 04:13 PM
The primary reason for that has nothing to do with the scheme but everything to do with the fact most QB's are right handed and rushing their blind side is the best place for your best rusher most times. Coupled with most DE's being right handed and it being more natural to rush from that side.
Excellent point, however, the scheme is basically designed for the norm and not the exception. In this case a right handed QB.

If we faced a team in our division that had a left handed QB, I suspect we would have move our RDE's to the LDE's spot and the LDE's to the RDE's spot.

singersp
08-13-2012, 07:10 AM
Excellent point, however, the scheme is basically designed for the norm and not the exception. In this case a right handed QB.

If we faced a team in our division that had a left handed QB, I suspect we would have move our RDE's to the LDE's spot and the LDE's to the RDE's spot.

Swap the players playing RDE & LDE all season long for the sake of 2 games?

I don't think so.

Marrdro
08-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Swap the players playing RDE & LDE all season long for the sake of 2 games?

I don't think so.
Nope, not what I said.

Zeus
08-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Doesn't matter. The Griffen as LB experiment is over.

Training Camp Notebook - Monday, Aug 13th | The Vikings Blog - KFAN Sports Radio FM 100.3 - The Fan (http://www.kfan.com/pages/vikingsblog.html?article=10341630)

The Everson Griffen at LB experiment has ended:
Heading into Training Camp, the Vikings were hoping to move defensive end Everson Griffen into a hybrid DE/LB role. Based on what they've seen in camp and how Griffen looked in preseason game number one, the Vikings have opted to abandon this mission and have moved Griffen back to defensive end for the foreseeable future.
"We saw enough of [Griffen] at linebacker where we feel that [defensive end] is going to be better for him," Frazier said. "We talked to him Sunday night when we got back and he agrees that it's better to be able to focus on that position."
Griffen will still work in as a linebacker in third down situations but most of his snaps will come from the defensive line. Griffen also left Monday's practice after dinging his knee in team drills.

=Z=

singersp
08-14-2012, 05:53 AM
Vikings end Griffen linebacker experiment

Vikings end Griffen linebacker experiment | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/sports/166062926.html)

C Mac D
08-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Vikings end Griffen linebacker experiment

Vikings end Griffen linebacker experiment | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/sports/166062926.html)

This was the obvious conclusion to this experiment. Wish our coaching staff had the wherewithal to try Robison at LB and move Griffen to starting DE... but they do not.

Webby
08-14-2012, 01:03 PM
Actually, I would like to see that. BRob is a talented guy, but that transition is still tough.

Jarlvik
08-14-2012, 01:17 PM
I just don't see Robison making the transition if Griffen couldn't. Marrdo is right- we need a true NT to make this thing work, IMHO.

Marrdro
08-14-2012, 06:01 PM
I just don't see Robison making the transition if Griffen couldn't. Marrdo is right- we need a true NT to make this thing work, IMHO.
Another new poster moving up the spreadsheets.....

I think the real reason its over is that they have alot of talent at LB (see the article below) they didn't think they had. Mix that in with Jasper actually being healthy there is no real need to have him work the transition.

Marvin Mitchell Giving Erin Henderson a Run for His Money? - The Viking Age - A Minnesota Vikings Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more. (http://thevikingage.com/2012/08/14/marvin-mitchell-giving-erin-henderson-a-run-for-his-money/)

jargomcfargo
08-14-2012, 10:03 PM

I think the real reason its over is that they have alot of talent at LB (see the article below) they didn't think they had. Mix that in with Jasper actually being healthy there is no real need to have him work the transition.

Marvin Mitchell Giving Erin Henderson a Run for His Money? - The Viking Age - A Minnesota Vikings Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more. (http://thevikingage.com/2012/08/14/marvin-mitchell-giving-erin-henderson-a-run-for-his-money/)
Are you serious?
Truth is the linebackers suck. Greenway is ok but Henderson and Brinkley look terrible. Mitchell looks as good as Henderson and better than Brinkley. It doesn't mean they have a lot of talent at linebacker. They have dearth of talent at linebacker. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they bring back EJ by the third pre-season game.
Griffen was moved back to end because it is almost a purely physical position. That is the kindest way to state it. He will do well there.

C Mac D
08-15-2012, 11:45 AM

He moves up the spreadsheet for that? Saying because Griffen can't cut it, Robison won't?

That logic is incredibly myopic and flat-out wrong. We should AT LEAST TRY him out at LB, his build is much more suited for that position anyways.

But to say, "Griffen couldn't do it, so Robison can't either" is not smart logic.

Marrdro
08-15-2012, 01:29 PM
He moves up the spreadsheet for that? Saying because Griffen can't cut it, Robison won't?

That logic is incredibly myopic and flat-out wrong. We should AT LEAST TRY him out at LB, his build is much more suited for that position anyways.

But to say, "Griffen couldn't do it, so Robison can't either" is not smart logic.

The move up the spreadsheet was for the NT comment.......:)

Marrdro
08-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Are you serious?
Truth is the linebackers suck. Greenway is ok but Henderson and Brinkley look terrible. Mitchell looks as good as Henderson and better than Brinkley. It doesn't mean they have a lot of talent at linebacker. They have dearth of talent at linebacker. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they bring back EJ by the third pre-season game.
Griffen was moved back to end because it is almost a purely physical position. That is the kindest way to state it. He will do well there.
Give Brink some time.

Not sure I disagree with you on Hendirson, but it isn't he that I'm talking about. Did you check out the link on Mitchell?

Again, I still haven't seen the game but from all accounts the backup LB's looked OK.

Freakout
08-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Give Brink some time.

Not sure I disagree with you on Hendirson, but it isn't he that I'm talking about. Did you check out the link on Mitchell?

Again, I still haven't seen the game but from all accounts the backup LB's looked OK.

Our linebackers looked pretty bad. This is a concern because Jasper is still very inexperienced for a guy that has been in the league as long as he has.

Erin Henderson, who I am not a fan of, was responsible for the first big run by the 49ers. He bit and went inside when the play was a outside run. The left tackle did a very good job at sealing the edge (D'Andre Reed was at RDE), Sanford came up and laid out the lead blocker, but with Erin taking himself out of the play it lead to a big gain.

Mitchell wasn't bad but arguing over which is better between him and Erin is like two drunks fighting over the fat chick at the bar. You are losing either way.

I didn't see anything good about Tyrone McKenzie. He whiffed on a couple of tackles and looked stiff in coverage.

I honestly thought Cole and Eliminian looked better than the supposed backups.

Marrdro
08-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Our linebackers looked pretty bad. This is a concern because Jasper is still very inexperienced for a guy that has been in the league as long as he has.

Erin Henderson, who I am not a fan of, was responsible for the first big run by the 49ers. He bit and went inside when the play was a outside run. The left tackle did a very good job at sealing the edge (D'Andre Reed was at RDE), Sanford came up and laid out the lead blocker, but with Erin taking himself out of the play it lead to a big gain.

Mitchell wasn't bad but arguing over which is better between him and Erin is like two drunks fighting over the fat chick at the bar. You are losing either way.

I didn't see anything good about Tyrone McKenzie. He whiffed on a couple of tackles and looked stiff in coverage.

I honestly thought Cole and Eliminian looked better than the supposed backups.
Thanks for the run down. Quick question, when you say that the LB bit on the first run play, what the heck did the DT/DE's do?

Freakout
08-15-2012, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the run down. Quick question, when you say that the LB bit on the first run play, what the heck did the DT/DE's do?

That was actually the play Guion got injured on. He ran the running back down from behind and made the tackle. Just by then it was a easy 15 yard gain.

SharperImage
10-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Yeah Griffen is playing lights out this year. He already has 5 sacks to Allens 1.5.. I think its time to start Griffen over allen, and trade allen for a 2nd rounder and a decent S/WR/OG. Griffen has shown that he is ready to start, if he played for any other team he'd be starting right now. I think he is even more dangerous in a 3-4 defense as a DeMarcus Ware type player.. That one 4-10 when the vikes went 3-4 and Griffen came screaming pass the LT who couldn't even blink at him. I say Allen is gone next year..

kevoncox
10-03-2012, 04:50 PM
LOL, well played my friend. Well played indeed. :)
Didn't Bruce smith play the LDE too?

Marrdro
10-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Didn't Bruce smith play the LDE too?
Another great player from the 757.....He could play both sides, played inside, even played LB some.

Absolute freak. :bow:

skum
10-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Lets forget all talk about moving Jared Allen, Brian Robison, we need them all around.. Those who wins the Superbowl are the teams with great depth..

With Everson Griffen as a non-starter it gives us an excellent oppotunity to replace him with Jared Allen in a few years, create mismatches on passing downs when we put him in at linebacker or defensive tackle and on top of that he is a beast special teamer..

We need all our key players around and we need to get rid of the players who are not good enough to play.. Surely Allen is.. he had 22 sacks a season ago..

Everson Griffen has 3 sacks
Everson Griffen, DE for the Minnesota Vikings at NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/player/eversongriffen/496790/profile)

Jared Allen has 2 sacks
Jared Allen, DE for the Minnesota Vikings at NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/player/jaredallen/2505940/profile)

Marrdro
10-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Lets forget all talk about moving Jared Allen, Brian Robison, we need them all around.. Those who wins the Superbowl are the teams with great depth..

With Everson Griffen as a non-starter it gives us an excellent oppotunity to replace him with Jared Allen in a few years, create mismatches on passing downs when we put him in at linebacker or defensive tackle and on top of that he is a beast special teamer..

We need all our key players around and we need to get rid of the players who are not good enough to play.. Surely Allen is.. he had 22 sacks a season ago..

Everson Griffen has 3 sacks
Everson Griffen, DE for the Minnesota Vikings at NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/player/eversongriffen/496790/profile)

Jared Allen has 2 sacks
Jared Allen, DE for the Minnesota Vikings at NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/player/jaredallen/2505940/profile)

Couple of thoughts...

a. There is alot more to the game than just sacks. In short, JA's sack total is not what I'm harping on.

b. 22 sacks from last year don't get you squat. Its all about this year.

skum
10-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Couple of thoughts...

a. There is alot more to the game than just sacks. In short, JA's sack total is not what I'm harping on.

b. 22 sacks from last year don't get you squat. Its all about this year.

My point is just that Jared Allen is a pretty good football player and we need good football players on our team in order to compete, i know we are in rebuilding mode, but trading Jared Allen would in my mind be a big mistake..

Sacks are not everything i agree, but a sack for a defensive end is like a touchdown for an offensive player.. its what the players in his position are judged on and the fact that he had the 2nd most in a season a year ago is a pretty good reason to why we need him on our team..