PDA

View Full Version : Vikings sign CB Chris Carr

AngloVike
04-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Reported on KFFL

Vikings | Chris Carr signed - NFL Hot off the Wire (http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=779156-vikings-chris-carr-signed)

i_bleed_purple
04-04-2012, 03:56 PM
I like it

tastywaves
04-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Reported on KFFL

Vikings | Chris Carr signed - NFL Hot off the Wire (http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=779156-vikings-chris-carr-signed)

I think we are now set at the nickel and FB position, now lets get the long snapper depth addressed.

Currently we have Winfield, Cook, Bowman, Carr, Sherels and Burton. Last year we had Winfield, Cook, Griffin, Sapp, Sherels, and Burton. Grab a decent corner in the draft and drop off Burton and I guess that's moving forward.

Don't forget the safety and MLB position Rick.

jmcdon00
04-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Nice pick-up. Probably the best corner available.

vikesrgreat2
04-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Works for me. Nice job, Vikings! Keep it going!

i_bleed_purple
04-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Marty will be PISSED we didn't get a DL who can pressure the QB and at the same time re-directing the ball straight into Greenways hands every play.

But if healthy, this doesn't look too bad

Cook, Carr, Winfield, Bowman, Sherels, Burton, Asher.

Now, if only we had a safety worth a damn.

KevinK
04-04-2012, 04:48 PM
I think its a great pickup..... The guy is used to being in an elite backfield with the Ravens... could rub off on us.

ConnecticutViking
04-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Nice pickup, would love to get S, and MLB also, combined with Kalil, WR, needs, we still have a lot of work to do.

skum
04-05-2012, 02:29 AM
Great pick up, in my eyes he is a legit starting caliber cornerback, we needed him and got him - i like it..

Carr, Cook, Winfield, with a draftpick, along with Bowman, Allen, Sherels.. this is starting to look okay, i actually think we might think about targeting a safety in the early second round instead of a corner..

AngloVike
04-05-2012, 04:08 AM
Great pick up, in my eyes he is a legit starting caliber cornerback, we needed him and got him - i like it..

Carr, Cook, Winfield, with a draftpick, along with Bowman, Allen, Sherels.. this is starting to look okay, i actually think we might think about targeting a safety in the early second round instead of a corner..

of course the other option would be to move Winfield back to safety and look for a CB in the second round - I'massuming that we're not looking at Claiborne of course. That would at least give us some experience at the back and let Winfield play longer as I like him and don't want to see him let go due to getting older.

singersp
04-05-2012, 06:14 AM
Carr's best year in the NFL is close to Griffin's last year & Smoot's last year with us, yet people talk about what a great pickup this is & start 4 threads about the signing?

We all know how fans here felt about Griffin's play last year or Smoot's play when he was here, yet they are happy we inked Carr?

I must be missing something.

tastywaves
04-05-2012, 08:33 AM
Carr's best year in the NFL is close to Griffin's last year & Smoot's last year with us, yet people talk about what a great pickup this is & start 4 threads about the signing?

We all know how fans here felt about Griffin's play last year or Smoot's play when he was here, yet they are happy we inked Carr?

Exactly. I don't see Carr as a solid starting CB, but probably more than adequate for a nickel position, which is his true position. Problem is we have a bunch of guys in that same category. He's listed at 5'10 and 180, a bit small unless he has the intensity of Winfield.

We'll see how this finishes out through the rest of the offseason. He does provide additional depth and upgrades the talent of our current (sans Griffin) roster, but I wouldn't say he upgrades the position from Griffin. He's just a new name on the roster which brings hope. Kind of like Sapp, Walker, Sheppard.

Another guy with a one year contract?

bleedpurple
04-05-2012, 10:09 AM

Exactly. I don't see Carr as a solid starting CB, but probably more than adequate for a nickel position, which is his true position. Problem is we have a bunch of guys in that same category. He's listed at 5'10 and 180, a bit small unless he has the intensity of Winfield.

We'll see how this finishes out through the rest of the offseason. He does provide additional depth and upgrades the talent of our current (sans Griffin) roster, but I wouldn't say he upgrades the position from Griffin. He's just a new name on the roster which brings hope. Kind of like Sapp, Walker, Sheppard.

Another guy with a one year contract?

I'm jumping on the bandwagon here with yall... WTF are ppl happy about this signing? he's 29 which is older than what "the plan" spielman has implemented of signing guys off their first contracts. He was hurt all last year and while he's solid, he's hardly the improvement we need in the secondary...

BIG YAWN!!

idahovikefan7
04-05-2012, 11:24 AM
I think it's a great pick up. With the vikings current secondary, I'll take anyone.

After watching last year, I truly believe that was the worst secondary I have ever seen play. I know there were injuries and other set backs (Cook), but he isn't a sure star either. I will take any help that becomes available.

Carr is a start in the right direction.

tastywaves
04-05-2012, 11:44 AM
I think it's a great pick up. With the vikings current secondary, I'll take anyone.

After watching last year, I truly believe that was the worst secondary I have ever seen play. I know there were injuries and other set backs (Cook), but he isn't a sure star either. I will take any help that becomes available.

Carr is a start in the right direction.

The signing is fine. 1 yr, adds depth. Might surprise. Best guy left in FA. Anyone would be better, and he fits that category.

If we stop here though and go into the season with this cast of db's, I don't see us any better than last year. Unless Cook plays 16 games and plays at the level he did before his bout with anger.

If signing Carr and Bowman means that we drop off Burton and Sherels/Allen along with drafting a solid guy in the draft, then I would say that we have done a good job at upgrading this position without breaking the bank.

I have my suspiciions though that this means that our first few picks will look more like OT, WR and S/MLB. Which suits me fine, just saying don't expect the db skill level to be up much from last year.

purplepat
04-05-2012, 01:30 PM

I agree with you, Steve.

The best thing I can say about Carr is that he has been "good enough" to hang around the NFL for seven pretty nondescript seasons. At least he was a 16 game starter and "decent" for the Ravens in 2010. Injuries limited him last year. Benny Sapp still had more passes defensed (10) for the Dolphins in 2010 than Carr did for the Ravens (8).

At worst, Carr is a nickel/dime back type that has a heck of a lot more experience and playing time than Marcus Sherels and Brandon Burton. I guess he might start, if the Vikes make Winfield a full time nickel back; otherwise I see no way this guy starts ahead of Winfield, Cook, or a 1st/2nd round CB in this year's draft.

PackSux!
04-06-2012, 05:41 PM
I agree with you, Steve.

The best thing I can say about Carr is that he has been "good enough" to hang around the NFL for seven pretty nondescript seasons. At least he was a 16 game starter and "decent" for the Ravens in 2010. Injuries limited him last year. Benny Sapp still had more passes defensed (10) for the Dolphins in 2010 than Carr did for the Ravens (8).

At worst, Carr is a nickel/dime back type that has a heck of a lot more experience and playing time than Marcus Sherels and Brandon Burton. I guess he might start, if the Vikes make Winfield a full time nickel back; otherwise I see no way this guy starts ahead of Winfield, Cook, or a 1st/2nd round CB in this year's draft.

I am happy with this signing because it gives me hope that we will draft Kalil with number 3 and Hill with 35 and not waste a 1st or second round pick on a corner. I just have a hard time believing that more than two wr will go in the first round. Two many teams in my opinion took care of that position during free agency.

12purplepride28
04-07-2012, 12:37 AM
I am happy with this signing because it gives me hope that we will draft Kalil with number 3 and Hill with 35 and not waste a 1st or second round pick on a corner. I just have a hard time believing that more than two wr will go in the first round. Two many teams in my opinion took care of that position during free agency.

If only two WRs go in the first then I would much rather us get Alshon Jeffery than Stephen Hill.

Johnson14
04-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Nice pick-up. Probably the best corner available.

+1

Like this pick up

VKG4LFE
04-11-2012, 04:54 PM
I like this signing

Marrdro
04-21-2012, 03:17 PM
Marty will be PISSED we didn't get a DL who can pressure the QB and at the same time re-directing the ball straight into Greenways hands every play.

But if healthy, this doesn't look too bad

Cook, Carr, Winfield, Bowman, Sherels, Burton, Asher.

Now, if only we had a safety worth a damn.
Can't fix every position my friend. I like the 2 FA CB signings especially if the CB's come off the board the way they did in my mock. Not much to draft for us considering what we need at other spots.

On a side note, I didn't pick a warpig for the Vikes in my mock until 4-98.

Brandon Thompson. Not sure if I like the way the DT's came off the board so I settled no that cat before they were all gone.

Marrdro
04-21-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm jumping on the bandwagon here with yall... WTF are ppl happy about this signing? he's 29 which is older than what "the plan" spielman has implemented of signing guys off their first contracts. He was hurt all last year and while he's solid, he's hardly the improvement we need in the secondary...

BIG YAWN!!
He's depth and a veteran presence, had for the cheap.

Besides, you are still pining for shut down CB's in a scheme that doesn't use shut down CB's for goodness sake. LOL :p

As I've said numerous times, you can keep throwing DB's at our problem or you can really fix the problem. Get a 0/1 Technique in to play NT/UT and all of our DB's will look just fine.

Minniman
04-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Besides, you are still pining for shut down CB's in a scheme that doesn't use shut down CB's for goodness sake. LOL :p
It's a scheme used by two of the three worst teams in the NFL last season.

If these guys play five yards off, will it matter what fodder is put in there?

Hopefully, the Vikings will have a better overall scheme this season.