PDA

View Full Version : Baldinger picks Blackmon at #3

KevinK
03-27-2012, 02:15 PM
NFL Videos: Baldinger mock draft 1.0 (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d827e2dc4/Baldinger-mock-draft-1-0)

KevinK
03-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Not sure I want to draft a WR at #3. Id rather take the Blue chip Kali and keep that player for 10 yrs instead of dealing with a potential Williamson saga.

AngloVike
03-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Not sure I want to draft a WR at #3. Id rather take the Blue chip Kali and keep that player for 10 yrs instead of dealing with a potential Williamson saga.

Now if all the teams reckon Baldy is such a great pundit then it might force someone's hand and make them want to trade up for the #3 spot. Works for me.

jmcdon00
03-27-2012, 04:30 PM
If there were an AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, Fitzgerald type prospect I'd be all for it, but those guys are all 6'3" or better, Blackmon is 6'1".

Wouldn't shock me if the Vikings took him though. Most think he will go in the top 5, and we do have a huge need at the position. Would probably have the biggest immediate impact.

midgensa
03-27-2012, 04:43 PM
If there were an AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, Fitzgerald type prospect I'd be all for it, but those guys are all 6'3" or better, Blackmon is 6'1".

Wouldn't shock me if the Vikings took him though. Most think he will go in the top 5, and we do have a huge need at the position. Would probably have the biggest immediate impact.

I definitely agree. I would not be shocked ... and would not mind.

As of now ... I am still sold on the Kalil pick. But Blackmon or Claiborne and I would be fine with that as well.

Ranger
03-27-2012, 05:25 PM

Hold your fingers two inches apart and think about how tall Jerry Rice is. Those two things make me believe that his height isn't an issue.

jmcdon00
03-27-2012, 06:12 PM
Hold your fingers two inches apart and think about how tall Jerry Rice is. Those two things make me believe that his height isn't an issue.
Very true, and he could be a great player.
I think those two inches are huge when it comes to dominating a football game, being uncoverable. I would rather take one of the many 6'4" recievers in the second round.

Ranger
03-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Very true, and he could be a great player.
I think those two inches are huge when it comes to dominating a football game, being uncoverable. I would rather take one of the many 6'4" recievers in the second round.

I think we should go with Kalil and address WR and CB with the following picks, but I wont sob if we get Blackmon, who reminds me of a young Boldin. Physical, plays far larger than he is, and has good hands. He's a football player who happens to be a receiver.

CPonderFan
03-27-2012, 09:28 PM
I think there is way too much pressure in picking up a Pro Bowl LT. Look at the teams that have won the Super bowl over the last 5 years...Off the top of your head can you name their starting LT? Besides the Ass Packers... Can you name their starting WRs? Sure as hell can. That to me says draft Blackmon, followed by 2 CBs in the 2nd and 3rd, get a WR with our Top of the 4th. The rest can be used to add depth to the LBs, OL and DL.

CPonderFan
03-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Plus...More than likely we will have a top 10 pick next season...draft your OT then :)

i_bleed_purple
03-27-2012, 10:33 PM
I look at it this way.

Kalil will be a good building block, and ensure we get a very high pick next season.

Blackmon will be a good building block, potential franchise player, but ensure we pick around 10-15 next season.

There's always a blackmon-type player in most drafts. but we're rarely in a position to draft the top LT. I'd like to take one while the taking's good.

tastywaves
03-28-2012, 10:38 AM
I look at it this way.

Kalil will be a good building block, and ensure we get a very high pick next season.

Blackmon will be a good building block, potential franchise player, but ensure we pick around 10-15 next season.

There's always a blackmon-type player in most drafts. but we're rarely in a position to draft the top LT. I'd like to take one while the taking's good.

Very true. While I like Blackmon, he doesn't appear to be out of the norm for a first round WR pick. There are 6-7 high quality WR prospects in this year's draft, hard to say which one will end up being the best pro and we may end up getting one of them with our second pick. WR's are more unpredictable than LT's.

bleedpurple
03-28-2012, 12:25 PM
I think there is way too much pressure in picking up a Pro Bowl LT. Look at the teams that have won the Super bowl over the last 5 years...Off the top of your head can you name their starting LT? Besides the Ass Packers... Can you name their starting WRs? Sure as hell can. That to me says draft Blackmon, followed by 2 CBs in the 2nd and 3rd, get a WR with our Top of the 4th. The rest can be used to add depth to the LBs, OL and DL.

and leave the revolving door on the left side of the line??? NO thankYOU!!!

bleedpurple
03-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Plus...More than likely we will have a top 10 pick next season...draft your OT then :)

and by then Ponder will be in two pieces.... you know he's already fragile...

LT isn't a sexy pick but one of immense need and will solidify the line for years to come...

bleedpurple
03-28-2012, 12:27 PM
I look at it this way.

Couldn't agree more!!...

PackSux!
03-28-2012, 12:49 PM

So its ok to draft a LT next season with our first pick but not this year? I understand your man crush on Blackmon but that really dont make alot sense to me.

mountainviking
03-28-2012, 12:51 PM
The thing to really like about Blackmon is his hands and toughness after the catch. He runs like Peterson and Harvin, tough to take down with improbable balance to help him keep his feet and get those extra yards! And I also think that of our top three choices, he makes the biggest immediate impact. Adding a beast outside to our awesome running game, Harvin's versatility, our impressive 2-TEs and our bevy of no.2 and 3 wideouts would suddenly put us in contention for one of the best sets of skill players in the league...similar to what the pukers have put around Rodgers.

There's lots to love about Kalil, but I'm always a lil worried about the work ethic of guys from the University of Spoiled Children. He's already a lil "weak" as a run blocker and "needs to add muscle," what if he doesn't want to put in the hours in the weight room to be the best he can be?

What 2 TEs, 2 FBs, and a big OL signing tells me is that we really want to run the ball. Maybe, for our gameplan, we are better off filling LT by grabbing more of a mean, nasty blocker like Osemele or Ponder's ole friend, Zebrie Sanders at the top of the 2nd!?

Zebrie Sanders, Florida State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1630286)

Run Blocking: Has the ability to sink his hips and generate real power with strong hands. Consistently moves defenders back. Grades out extremely well in every aspect of run blocking.

I like Claiborne too, but think that as bad as our pass D has been, we're still better off at CB than we are at LT, no.1 WR, or even Safety!

CPonderFan
03-28-2012, 01:10 PM
After sitting and thinking about everything over night I have a completely different direction that I would liek to present...

I was reading in a couple of other forums yesterday and in one of the threads someone mentined that Blackmon is too similar to Harvin in ability and where he would be st fit the offense, in the slot. I also heard in another forum that Spielman only drafts the best available player, not by team needs. Despite the fact that I disagree with both to a certain extent, it got me to thinking...

I think this could be a possible senario...

What if the Vikings traded out of the #3 because we are targeting a WR. The #3 pick would get some interest for those teams that are looking for a LT (Rams, Buffalo and a handful of others). It wont be the price tag that the Rams got for the #2 pick, but it could get us a 1st round swap, a 2nd and possibly more later this draft or next season. Evaluating what Spielman has done so far this off season I could really see him doing this and still drafting a WR with lets say the 10th overall pick (Buffalo) but not Blackmon....Im talking about home grown MN Boy Floyd or Combine Monster Hill. Either of those players would be a better fit for us as a true #1 Deep ball threat and wouldnt be that much of a stretch at 10 or lower. I could really see Floyd or Hill making a huge impact. Even better senario would be getting them both in the first 2 rounds, but i dont see either dropping out of the first round. Which would leave us with (2) 2nd round picks and I would draft a OT and CB.

I like this move. Like Baldi said...If we draft Kalil and he provides protection for Ponder...Who is Ponder going to throw the ball to? I dont think Baldi is a genius by any stretch of the imagination, but i do agree with him. Surround him with playmakers and protection wont be an issue.

Oh an as far as Spielmans drafting...It doesnt matter how he drafts this season...We have plenty of needs and alot of impact players available in this draft.

jmcdon00
03-28-2012, 04:06 PM
The rams could be a good trading partner. They have the picks.
Say they gave us the 34th pick to trade 1st(we move down 3 spots to 6). They are still two first round pick ahead, and they get the top non-QB in the draft, same as they would have gotten staying put at number 2.

CPonderFan
03-28-2012, 09:36 PM
and leave the revolving door on the left side of the line??? NO thankYOU!!!

LOLZ!! Revolving door?? How many LTs have we had in the last 10 years?

Honestly Tell me the names of the Lions, Bears and Packers LTs. Packer should be somewhat easy...but the others you wont know off the top of your head. How about their #1 WRs? I bet you know everyone of them... WRs make plays. Last season if we had one more TD/ game we would have finished 13-3...A little different story. Having weapons on offense changes the way defenses play us. They cant load the box or blitz as much. Which means our rushing game will be that much better (Yeah back at the top!). Sure that means that Ponder is going to have to get his reads right, Sully will have to direct protection. Sure we will give up a few sacks, but honestly...we could very easily get back on track, especially if we address our secondary in the mid rounds of the draft. Im not saying we will be 13-3 this season...but 1 TD/ game makes a huge difference. Kalil isnt going to give us a TD/game difference...a Top WR will. I personally think that Blackmon isnt the right fit...I like Floyd or Hill.

mountainviking
03-31-2012, 12:57 AM
LOLZ!! Revolving door?? How many LTs have we had in the last 10 years?

Honestly Tell me the names of the Lions, Bears and Packers LTs. Packer should be somewhat easy...but the others you wont know off the top of your head. How about their #1 WRs? I bet you know everyone of them... WRs make plays. Last season if we had one more TD/ game we would have finished 13-3...A little different story. Having weapons on offense changes the way defenses play us. They cant load the box or blitz as much. Which means our rushing game will be that much better (Yeah back at the top!). Sure that means that Ponder is going to have to get his reads right, Sully will have to direct protection. Sure we will give up a few sacks, but honestly...we could very easily get back on track, especially if we address our secondary in the mid rounds of the draft. Im not saying we will be 13-3 this season...but 1 TD/ game makes a huge difference. Kalil isnt going to give us a TD/game difference...a Top WR will. I personally think that Blackmon isnt the right fit...I like Floyd or Hill.

I think you're on the right path there...but, if we can't trade down, do we take the LT, the CB, Blackmon, or go ahead and get the size/speed combo we want in Floyd...or maybe, Hill???

And, I feel like, to develop our young QBs, we almost have to be thinking LT and WR, in either order, with the first two picks...

Pairing Claiborne with Cook sounds like an awesome set of CBs, but it might be like driving a Jaguar on defense while living in a beat down trailer park on offense...?

battleaxe4cheese
03-31-2012, 11:40 AM
I think it's kind of like the chicken and the egg. Kalil would protect Ponder and give him more time than last year (I hope). Drafting Blackmon would give Ponder a sure target to throw at. Most receivers take 3 years to come into stride, and Kalil may very well make an immediate impact.

If we take Blackmon and don't significantly upgrade our line, Ponder will still be running for his life and probably not survive the season. Also, we need holes for Toby and AP to run through and I'm not convinced that the guys we have now will be able to do that. I think tight ends will play a huge role in this coming season and we are going to have to utilize them, or this could end up being a long ugly season once again.

mountainviking
03-31-2012, 12:21 PM
Here's a lil update from NFL Network...

"You can give Christain Ponder all the time in the world back there...but all the time in the world isn't going to get Michael Jenkins open." -Baldinger arguing his position on why the Vikes should go with Blackmon over Kalil on NFLN.

He also mentioned it being a pass-first league, and how much a real threat will help the young QBs. Then, later on, they brought in Blackmon for an interview.

Kid just seemed soooo cool. Just, laid-back, soft-spoken confidence, not-arrogance. BUT, with a look of intensity that reminds me of Kendrick Perkins of the Thunder...a look that says, Muther Fuckin Safties and Cornerbacks better Fuckin look out for ME!!

And then, they asked him about what he likes to do besides football and he answers with: (paraphrased by questionable memory)

Oh, off the field, I'm up for just about anything. I've been snowboarding, hunting, deep-sea fishing...I'll try just about anything once.

Sounds like a great FIT in MN to me!!!

Did you notice? 2 years in a row of 111 or more receptions and over 1500 yards and 18 or 20 TDs!!!!

NCAA Record 14 games in a row with over 100 yards!! That says to me, I'll be open even if they're triple teaming me!!!

CPonderFan
03-31-2012, 03:20 PM
I think that drafting a CB would be a mistake in the first round. Next season when we are sitting at 10-15 range we can pick up a solid CB then. To make a difference for Ponder we need to draft OL and WR. I personally like trading down from 3 and getting additional picks and selecting Floyd or Hill. Either one fits into our plans much better. Plus if that happens we are certain to get an extra 2nd rounder thsi season so in the second round we could get our SF (hopefully Barron) and our LT (Hopefully Osemele). That would be a perfect 1st and 2nd round draft for us. Not to mention we would probably get late round picks or picks next season included in the trade down.

The talk on Tannehill is heating up and Cleveland is talking about posibly drafting him...That makes a desperate Miami a likely canidate to trade up :) and probably give us some good picks to do it.

MaxVike
04-01-2012, 08:28 AM
There was a good segment on Sirius/XM NFL Radio yesterday, with Bill Polian. A Lions fan asked a good question about how he has been able to differentiate players he's drafted over the years, and how he determines the "Best Players." Polian went on to say: 1) the influx of media today, and the hundreds of "experts" either posting, blogging, writing, texting, Tweeting, etc, opinions about players has created this sense of fan expertise. He cautioned against putting any credibility into reading, considering, analyzing, "non-experts" opinions. Stating, an expert is someone who gets fired for making the wrong decision, someone who watches, analyzes, GAME film, and makes decisions he is accountable for. He did not chastise those with opinions who publish them, and, said it is good for the game.

He stated that picks 20-55 or 60 really aren't that far apart, talent wise...stressing the importance of doing your homework to make a hit.

He also made a claim that he has been "doing this for decades..." this, being charting, taking notes, analyzing tape, interviewing, scouting, etc. He said that there are only 5-9 "difference makers" in every draft. This draft is the same. Unfortunately, I got to where I was going and didn't here him identify his list of "difference makers" for this year.

That said, I would think Kalil and Claiborne are on the list...not so sure about Blackmon. Although, I do think Blackmon will be a very good player and wouldn't jump off a cliff. But, I would like to see Kalil in a Vikings Uniform. But then, that's only my opinion :think:

singersp
04-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Doesn't matter who Baldinger, Kiper or anyone else picks in their mock drafts.

The only thing that matters is who Spielman picks.

MaxVike
04-01-2012, 03:56 PM

A much faster way of depicting what I was. Just trying to share some good points IMHO from an expert who built some pretty good teams.

Purple Floyd
04-01-2012, 04:25 PM

Buzz kill.

CPonderFan
04-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Buzz kill.

Lolz! +1000

mountainviking
04-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Was checking another WR scenario...if we take Kalil or Claiborne, we can still likely get a top-notch deep-threat by trading our 3rd round pick to move our 2nd up to CIN's 21, where Stephen Hill seems to be a great fit!! Kid ran a 4.36 40 and averaged almost 30 yards a catch!!! Better yet!? He's a hell of a blocker too!

A tall, imposing WR with long arms and big hands, Hill was mostly asked to block in Georgia Tech's triple-option offense. As a blocker, Hill is outstanding, consistently locating, controlling, moving, and pancaking smaller DBs, and more than holding his own against LBs. Hill, despite high hips, bends his knees, uses good technique, and has good range and power blocking.

Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1665228)

BAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! SKOL VIKINGS!!!!

CPonderFan
04-02-2012, 11:59 PM
Was checking another WR scenario...if we take Kalil or Claiborne, we can still likely get a top-notch deep-threat by trading our 3rd round pick to move our 2nd up to CIN's 21, where Stephen Hill seems to be a great fit!! Kid ran a 4.36 40 and averaged almost 30 yards a catch!!! Better yet!? He's a hell of a blocker too!

Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1665228)

BAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! SKOL VIKINGS!!!!

Yeah I like Floyd and Hill more than I like Blackmon. Blackmon just doesnt fit into our system because we already have Harvin in the slot. We dont use 4 WR sets. So we need the outside guys and Floyd and Hill make the most sense. I have been reading up on Jeffery too, he could be a beast if he can improve his work ethic. He showed up at the combine looking good, but last season he was up to almost 250! at the combine he was 213 and ran a 4.5 the kid is 6-3 and has great hands. He should be available in the 2nd.

bleedpurple
04-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Yeah I like Floyd and Hill more than I like Blackmon. Blackmon just doesnt fit into our system because we already have Harvin in the slot. We dont use 4 WR sets. So we need the outside guys and Floyd and Hill make the most sense. I have been reading up on Jeffery too, he could be a beast if he can improve his work ethic. He showed up at the combine looking good, but last season he was up to almost 250! at the combine he was 213 and ran a 4.5 the kid is 6-3 and has great hands. He should be available in the 2nd.

Blackmon is not a slot receiver...

Jeffrey can't get separation and is a poor route runner.. with the offense we have.. we can't afford to have a poor route running WR... especially one with poor work ethic.

mountainviking
04-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Yeah, Blackmon is an all around everything reciever.

Summary: Justin Blackmon was the best wide receiver in college football in 2011. He could have been a first-rounder last year, but decided to return for another season with the Cowboys. It paid off, as he is now considered to be a top-10 pick. Blackmon is a dangerous playmaker. He is a threat to score on any reception. Blackmon is extremely well built and is physical with defensive backs. He has the dual ability to be a possession receiver and a deep threat who stretches the field. He breaks tackles and gets yards after contact.

In his final season at Oklahoma State, Blackmon caught 121 receptions for 1,522 yards with 18 touchdowns. He produced despite teams constantly sending double coverage his direction. In 2010, Blackmon caught 111 passes for 1,782 yards and 20 touchdowns. He went over 100-yards in every game as a sophomore. To conclude his college career, Blackmon had a massive game against Stanford despite playing with a leg infection.

Blackmon projects as a starter immediately as a rookie, and it shouldn't be long before he is a No. 1 receiver. He has the skill set to be in contention for the Pro Bowl annually.

Ranger
04-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Yeah, Blackmon is an all around everything reciever.

I wonder if anybody else watched him play, or if everybody is just reading about him. He is a man amongst boys in the college game, and dominated. He's legit as hell.