PDA

View Full Version : Spielman wants to trade 3rd

singersp
02-24-2012, 07:45 AM

Spielman looks to make a deal

Spielman looks to make a deal - TwinCities.com (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_20028994?source=most_viewed)

singersp
02-24-2012, 07:49 AM
"We could (find) value if, for example, we moved down from the third overall pick," Spielman said.

So I wonder who Spielman plans on drafting with those 4th, 5th & 6th round picks he trades our 3rd pick for?

NodakPaul
02-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Whatever. This means nothing. Smoke and mirrors to hide his true intent, which may or may not be to trade out.

mountainviking
02-24-2012, 10:31 AM
I think you're almost always open to the options...if the right deal comes along, you jump on it!

My thinking ATM is that we can move down to 6 or maybe as far as 9, maybe, and still grab Reilly Reiff, LT from Iowa. He's pretty much the same size and comes in as a better run blocker, tho not quite as agile of a pass blocker than Kalil, in other words, a "better fit" for what the Vikings want to do given the strength of our running backs. AND, we'd most likely get an extra 2nd round pick this year, AND very likely another 4th or more late picks too. AND, the kid is a huge whiteboy from South Dakota who played in Iowa and will most likely sell tons of jerseys in MN...kinda taking over the Kleinsaucer's spot and continuing our tradtion of pulling fans from our neighboring states.

I'd love to have the Redskins 2nd round pick, giving us 2 in the top 7 of that round (and RR is almost guaranteed to be there at 6.) After getting our franchise LT in the first, we could double dip for our secondary, taking a top Safety and CB, or perhaps one DB and a WR like Stephen Hill, or maybe a top notch LB like Zach Brown.

For a rebuilding team like the Vikes, 3 picks in the top 40 is better than 2! ;)

PackSux!
02-25-2012, 08:10 AM
Stay put and draft Kalil. When you are in position to draft the best tackle in the draft and that is a position you are needing then you need to pull the trigger and take him. Pass blocking has to be the main focus for a LT on this team, we can no longer allow our QB to get killed game in and game out.

I would also like to tell Bryant McKinnie to take a long walk down a short pier.

ShowingMyHorns
02-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Haha, a short pier may not hold his fat ass

battleaxe4cheese
02-25-2012, 10:58 AM
Stay put and draft Kalil. When you are in position to draft the best tackle in the draft and that is a position you are needing then you need to pull the trigger and take him. Pass blocking has to be the main focus for a LT on this team, we can no longer allow our QB to get killed game in and game out.

I would also like to tell Bryant McKinnie to take a long walk down a short pier.

Absolutely. Max protect or another year of shame.

marshallvike
02-26-2012, 12:01 AM

+1
+1

seaniemck7
02-27-2012, 09:53 AM
The more I think about it, the more I feel Khalil is the answer. It is true that OTs, even recently, have underperformed for their selections (J.Smith, Gallery, etc). However, one thing Khalil has going for him, which IMO is a huge plus, is his pedigree. Reducing his bust factor is the fact that his Dad played in the NFL and his brother might be the best center in the NFL right now. When looking at a cornerstone of your team for years to come, this is the type of player upon which you build.

jmcdon00
02-27-2012, 01:46 PM
I think you're almost always open to the options...if the right deal comes along, you jump on it!

My thinking ATM is that we can move down to 6 or maybe as far as 9, maybe, and still grab Reilly Reiff, LT from Iowa. He's pretty much the same size and comes in as a better run blocker, tho not quite as agile of a pass blocker than Kalil, in other words, a "better fit" for what the Vikings want to do given the strength of our running backs. AND, we'd most likely get an extra 2nd round pick this year, AND very likely another 4th or more late picks too. AND, the kid is a huge whiteboy from South Dakota who played in Iowa and will most likely sell tons of jerseys in MN...kinda taking over the Kleinsaucer's spot and continuing our tradtion of pulling fans from our neighboring states.

I'd love to have the Redskins 2nd round pick, giving us 2 in the top 7 of that round (and RR is almost guaranteed to be there at 6.) After getting our franchise LT in the first, we could double dip for our secondary, taking a top Safety and CB, or perhaps one DB and a WR like Stephen Hill, or maybe a top notch LB like Zach Brown.

For a rebuilding team like the Vikes, 3 picks in the top 40 is better than 2! ;)
I would be all for that trade, but don't think it will happen. The only reason I see teams moving up is to get RGIII, and I think the Rams will be the team trading their pick.
Also I think one of those two second round picks should be used on WR.

Marrdro
03-01-2012, 05:32 AM
Agree with me or not, he has two line positions to address. LT and DT. He could move down and address both by taking Reilly Reiff (as the mountain man says) and then use a couple of his newly acquired picks to move back into the first to get a Ta'amu or Brockers and still get a good WR in the second.

Problem is, no one wants to move up to 3 anymore now that the Rams are openly shopping their pick. Only way RGIII doesn't go 2 is if their asking price is to high and all the teams that are thinking about it fix their QB problems with Peyton and Flynn.

tarkenton10
03-01-2012, 08:44 AM
Agree with me or not, he has two line positions to address. LT and DT. He could move down and address both by taking Reilly Reiff (as the mountain man says) and then use a couple of his newly acquired picks to move back into the first to get a Ta'amu or Brockers and still get a good WR in the second.

Problem is, no one wants to move up to 3 anymore now that the Rams are openly shopping their pick. Only way RGIII doesn't go 2 is if their asking price is to high and all the teams that are thinking about it fix their QB problems with Peyton and Flynn.

There is no way we should move back into round 1 for Ta'amu. He couldn't run to the sidelines if a hoagie was on the line. He is almost useless in 4-3, he will take up blocks but he doesn't get much of push and has no pursuit. If we are going back into round 1 we need to get Dontari Poe. He showed he could be a monster in the NFL. He has great movement and he has great strength at the point of attack. If I was going to move back into round 1 he is the only DT (other than Brockers but I don't think we could move up high enough to get him) I would use that pick on.

I would say take a chance on him in round 3 or 4.

Marrdro
03-02-2012, 04:14 AM
There is no way we should move back into round 1 for Ta'amu. He couldn't run to the sidelines if a hoagie was on the line. He is almost useless in 4-3, he will take up blocks but he doesn't get much of push and has no pursuit. If we are going back into round 1 we need to get Dontari Poe. He showed he could be a monster in the NFL. He has great movement and he has great strength at the point of attack. If I was going to move back into round 1 he is the only DT (other than Brockers but I don't think we could move up high enough to get him) I would use that pick on.

I would say take a chance on him in round 3 or 4.
You might be right that getting back into the first for Ta'amu is a bit high, but Poe won't get past Carolina unless they like Brockers more. Don't forget, they drafted 2 DT's last year that were busts and really need help up the middle.

The next team inline for one of these 2 is possibly TN or even the Bengals after them. Poe or Brockers (whoever is left) will go there.

On a side note, not sure why you have Ta'amu rated so low. I watched him in the Senior Bowl and he did exactly what you said he can't do.

On one play he took 2 OLmen straight back to the QB and sacked him. On a another he broke the double and almost ran the QB down.

The only hack on him that I've read is he has short arms and hasn't really developed anything other than a bull rush and is just starting to use a swim move.

PackSux!
03-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Stay put and draft Matt kalil. There is no reason to not take the gift that is given to you.

I don't understand how anyone would want to trade back and draft a left tackle that is more of a run blocker than a pass blocker. It makes no sense after watching our quarterbacks get killed two years in a row.

But for some reason I have this bad feeling the Vikes will be stupid and we will lose out on the best tackle in the draft.

Marrdro
03-03-2012, 02:53 AM
Stay put and draft Matt kalil. There is no reason to not take the gift that is given to you.

I don't understand how anyone would want to trade back and draft a left tackle that is more of a run blocker than a pass blocker. It makes no sense after watching our quarterbacks get killed two years in a row.

But for some reason I have this bad feeling the Vikes will be stupid and we will lose out on the best tackle in the draft.

Although I agree with you my friend, I also wouldn't be to suprised to see them either trade out a couple of spots or possibly even take Blackmon.

Let me throw a couple of scenario's at you to see what you think........

Using the following as a starting point.... Luck and RGIII are gone. That leaves Kahlil, Blackmon, Clairborne, Richardson, Reif, Coples, Tannehill on the board at 3.

I've heard alot of talk about Coples as the next stud that people will want to trade for and the teams that want him are Bucs, Jags, Pathers, Bills. If the Bucs want to move up to 3 to get him preventing one of the lower teams (Jags, Pathers, Bills) from coming up and getting him would you do it if the draft followed this way?

Browns don't need a LT, they would go after the top WR so that Flynn will have another prime target so both Kahlil and Reif would still be there.

Heck, we could even think about trading down again if someone wanted to go after Tannehill. Wildcard in that one is do the Browns land Flynn? If they don't, do they take Tannehill at 4? Lets, for this drill say that they go with Blackmon at 4 and the Phins don't land Manning and look to go after Tannehill.

IMHO, Reiff wouldn't be a bad selection there. One could also look at Poe or Brockers at DT, Floyd at WR, Kirkpatrick at CB or even a Kuechly to QB our defense for a heck of alot of years, not to mention that you would have picked up several other picks by making one or both of those trades and could afford to move back into not only the bottom of the first, but the second round as well to add two more 2nd rounders and 2 more 3rd rounders.

1. Colts - Luck
2. Readskins - RGIII
3. Bucs - Coples
4. Browns - Blackmon
5. Phins - Tannehill
6. Rams - Hahlil
7. Jags - Clairborne
8. Vikes - Reiff

Johnson14
03-03-2012, 04:17 AM
If Kalil is there at 3, and we trade.. I officially give up with this FO.

PackSux!
03-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Although I agree with you my friend, I also wouldn't be to suprised to see them either trade out a couple of spots or possibly even take Blackmon.

Let me throw a couple of scenario's at you to see what you think........

Using the following as a starting point.... Luck and RGIII are gone. That leaves Kahlil, Blackmon, Clairborne, Richardson, Reif, Coples, Tannehill on the board at 3.

I've heard alot of talk about Coples as the next stud that people will want to trade for and the teams that want him are Bucs, Jags, Pathers, Bills. If the Bucs want to move up to 3 to get him preventing one of the lower teams (Jags, Pathers, Bills) from coming up and getting him would you do it if the draft followed this way?

Browns don't need a LT, they would go after the top WR so that Flynn will have another prime target so both Kahlil and Reif would still be there.

Heck, we could even think about trading down again if someone wanted to go after Tannehill. Wildcard in that one is do the Browns land Flynn? If they don't, do they take Tannehill at 4? Lets, for this drill say that they go with Blackmon at 4 and the Phins don't land Manning and look to go after Tannehill.

IMHO, Reiff wouldn't be a bad selection there. One could also look at Poe or Brockers at DT, Floyd at WR, Kirkpatrick at CB or even a Kuechly to QB our defense for a heck of alot of years, not to mention that you would have picked up several other picks by making one or both of those trades and could afford to move back into not only the bottom of the first, but the second round as well to add two more 2nd rounders and 2 more 3rd rounders.

1. Colts - Luck
2. Readskins - RGIII
3. Bucs - Coples
4. Browns - Blackmon
5. Phins - Tannehill
6. Rams - Hahlil
7. Jags - Clairborne
8. Vikes - Reiff

I see what you are saying. It wouldnt be the end of the world to trade back and draft another player but it just seems silly to pass up on perhaps the next Joe Thomas or Jake Long. Who knows if Kalil will turn out to be one of the best left tackles but I would take my chances. After watching him at the combines and listening to him talk he will be a monster in the NFL. A monster I would love to see protect Ponder's blind side for years to come.

A left tackle isnt a sexy pick but its a pick you just have to take, just like Cleveland did with Thomas and the Dolphins did with Long.

thorshammer
03-04-2012, 12:18 PM
I hope we don't screw this up. Kalil should be the pick. We have to protect our QB and haven't been able to for quite a while. Take Kalil he can run and pass block. We need both of those skills for Ponder to have a chance.

Marrdro
03-06-2012, 08:23 AM
I see what you are saying. It wouldnt be the end of the world to trade back and draft another player but it just seems silly to pass up on perhaps the next Joe Thomas or Jake Long. Who knows if Kalil will turn out to be one of the best left tackles but I would take my chances. After watching him at the combines and listening to him talk he will be a monster in the NFL. A monster I would love to see protect Ponder's blind side for years to come.

A left tackle isnt a sexy pick but its a pick you just have to take, just like Cleveland did with Thomas and the Dolphins did with Long.
Don't get me wrong my friend. I want them to take that LT more than anything. All I'm saying is there are other options and we shouldn't all start jumping off of bridges if we don't take him.

I am still 100% convinced that even though the OL is important, we can fix alot of our "Blocking" issues by just adding a couple of good WR's, that would allow Ponder more options/targets when it comes to getting it out on a 3 or 5 step drop.

Percy is great, but he can't do it alone. Adding a Blackmon and a vet WR like Garcon automatically makes your OL better without even adding a OLmen.

Marrdro
03-06-2012, 08:25 AM
If Kalil is there at 3, and we trade.. I officially give up with this FO.
Why? If it means you can add 2 first round picks this year instead of just one I think you do it. Especially if you stay in area that means you can get Reiff.

NodakPaul
03-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Why? If it means you can add 2 first round picks this year instead of just one I think you do it. Especially if you stay in area that means you can get Reiff.

Reiff isn't the player that Kalil is. We would have to end up with two top half first round picks for that scenario to be worth it.

I realize that we have a lot of needs, but getting Kalil with the 3rd pick is a gift. It doesn't get much better than that.

Marrdro
03-07-2012, 06:15 AM
Reiff isn't the player that Kalil is. We would have to end up with two top half first round picks for that scenario to be worth it.

I realize that we have a lot of needs, but getting Kalil with the 3rd pick is a gift. It doesn't get much better than that.
Again, I agree and would be ecstatic to land Kalil. I'm just saying that if we move down I wouldn't be to apposed to it.

On a side note, Mayock, who I respect more than anyone (save the Ourlads crew) has dropped Reiff a bit since he had him ranked ahead of Kalil but still has him as a instant starter and you know me and my opinion on the OL. "It could be made of of HOF'rs, but if the QB doesn't have any WR's to throw the ball to, they will still look like crap."

Mayock's grief with Reiff's top 10 projected value (http://www.csnwashington.com/02/16/12/Mayocks-grief-with-Reiffs-top-10-project/landing.html?blockID=652394)

Alot of our issues last year on the OL weren't OL issues. They were issues related to poor blocking by TE's, RB's and a inability by our WR's to support route tree's in the 3 and 5 step throws which are the staple of the WCO.

On a side note, How have you been? Well I hope.

marshallvike
03-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Again, I agree and would be ecstatic to land Kalil. I'm just saying that if we move down I wouldn't be to apposed to it.

On a side note, Mayock, who I respect more than anyone (save the Ourlads crew) has dropped Reiff a bit since he had him ranked ahead of Kalil but still has him as a instant starter and you know me and my opinion on the OL. "It could be made of of HOF'rs, but if the QB doesn't have any WR's to throw the ball to, they will still look like crap."

Mayock's grief with Reiff's top 10 projected value (http://www.csnwashington.com/02/16/12/Mayocks-grief-with-Reiffs-top-10-project/landing.html?blockID=652394)

Alot of our issues last year on the OL weren't OL issues. They were issues related to poor blocking by TE's, RB's and a inability by our WR's to support route tree's in the 3 and 5 step throws which are the staple of the WCO.

On a side note, How have you been? Well I hope.

I would be opposed to trading down. Kalil is considered to be a stand out LT for years to come. Take him, move Charlie in to guard, and move on to the next position that needs filling. What I hope Spielman understands is, this is not a one year rebuild. Amassing extra (less valuable) picks at the cost of better prospects will likely just give you less talent. There are plenty of good players at some of the positions we need to upgrade to stick with what we have in this years picks. Next year we address more of our need positions. Hopefully, next year we are in a better cap position to be able to utilize FA also. Please do not think that if we have enough draft picks this year, we will be at the top of the division next year. Be patient and hope they draft and develope players who will get us a step closer, and next year, we take another step towards the top. "Win now" is what eventually put us at 3-13. Let's hope the FO does it right this time.

PackSux!
03-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Don't get me wrong my friend. I want them to take that LT more than anything. All I'm saying is there are other options and we shouldn't all start jumping off of bridges if we don't take him.

I am still 100% convinced that even though the OL is important, we can fix alot of our "Blocking" issues by just adding a couple of good WR's, that would allow Ponder more options/targets when it comes to getting it out on a 3 or 5 step drop.

Percy is great, but he can't do it alone. Adding a Blackmon and a vet WR like Garcon automatically makes your OL better without even adding a OLmen.

Blackmon sounds like a great pick because he is the projected number one receiver in the draft. Fact is he is only 6'1" 215 pounds and personally I see him being a slot receiver which we already have in Percy. So it seems a waste to draft him in my opinion.

Matt Kalil is the best option for our Vikings and we would be stupid to draft anyone else.

Purple Floyd
03-11-2012, 11:09 AM
I would either trade down and make it work to get Martin plus a CB/WR later in the first or take Claiborne at 3.

skum
03-11-2012, 02:48 PM
I really really think we need to stay at 3 and take Kalil, unless we get offered some crazy deal like the Rams did.. But we need Kalil..

singersp
03-26-2012, 07:30 AM
Interest in the Vikings' No. 3 overall spot

Interest in the Vikings' No. 3 overall spot - NFC North Blog - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/40001/interest-in-the-vikings-no-3-overall-spot)

SharperImage
03-26-2012, 07:35 AM
Interest in the Vikings' No. 3 overall spot

Interest in the Vikings' No. 3 overall spot - NFC North Blog - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/40001/interest-in-the-vikings-no-3-overall-spot)

swap with the Do-Do Browns, and get their 22nd Draft pick!

4th - Matt Kalil

22nd - Janoris Jenkins

2nd Round - Ashlon Jeffery

jmcdon00
03-26-2012, 01:50 PM

4th - Matt Kalil

22nd - Janoris Jenkins

Hard to imagine the Browns giving up a 1st round pick to move up one spot. I would be happy if we were able to trade or #3 and #35 for their #4 and #22.

NodakPaul
03-26-2012, 03:52 PM

4th - Matt Kalil

22nd - Janoris Jenkins

Hard to imagine the Browns giving up a 1st round pick to move up one spot. I would be happy if we were able to trade or #3 and #35 for their #4 and #22.

I agree with you, but it all depends on how much we can convince them that someone else is willing to move up and get their coveted player.

I could see a #3 and #35 for their #4 and #22. I could also see our #3 for their #4 and their #37. Both would make me pretty damn happy.

NodakPaul
03-26-2012, 03:59 PM
With all this being said, what would it take for you to be comfortable trading down with Miami? IMHO it would take quite a bit, as we would lose out Kalil, Claiborne, and Blackmon. We could get Reiff still (which would make Marrdro happy ;) ) but that is still a pretty significant drop.

Maybe if we got Miami's 1st and 2nd this year and their 1st next year? Would that be enough? Part of me says hell no... but the other part of me would love to have the extra high round picks this year and next...

TheAnimal93
03-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Haha, a short pier may not hold his fat ass
LMAO
I used to call Mckinnie a FLAT ASS. Fat Lazy Ass Tackle & ASS.

CPonderFan
03-26-2012, 05:02 PM
I keep hearing everyone say that if we pass up Kalil or trade our #3 pick that we could be passing up on the next Joe Thomas or Jake Long...So with that being said what kind of impact have those players made on their respective teams?? Has either team been in the playoffs consistantly since they joined their respective teams?

Honestly I think we can get by with a decent OT, more weapons on Offense. If you have enough weapons they have to cover them or give us a open man. If they choose to cover then they switch to a 3 man rush or give up deep help. if they decide to cover then Adrian and crew run the hell out of the ball!!! I honestly think that dropping down out of the 3rd and picking up Reiff in the 1st, with a 2nd this year from Miami - Draft a WR and CB in the 2nd. Would be the best senario. I wouldnt even be mad if we made a bold move and took 2 WRs with our first two picks and then focused on defense! That sure does take care of alot of our problems in one move. Kalil will be great, but you only need great if you have no options. Hes not a great run blocker, so if we are passing then why not just focus on getting more weapons to get rid of the ball quicker? Percy needs help. Ponder can make the reads. He just needs play makers.

My two cents

jmcdon00
03-26-2012, 05:03 PM
With all this being said, what would it take for you to be comfortable trading down with Miami? IMHO it would take quite a bit, as we would lose out Kalil, Claiborne, and Blackmon. We could get Reiff still (which would make Marrdro happy ;) ) but that is still a pretty significant drop.

Maybe if we got Miami's 1st and 2nd this year and their 1st next year? Would that be enough? Part of me says hell no... but the other part of me would love to have the extra high round picks this year and next...
2 firsts and a second sounds about right.
In other words, not going to happen.
And cleveland could have used their 2 first to move up for RG3, and did not. No way do they move up for Tannenhille.

CPonderFan
03-26-2012, 06:31 PM
I dont agree. Look at the moves Miami has made over the last few seasons. i see Miami being desperate for a franchise QB, especially after losing the "Manning Sweepstakes" their fans need something other than David Garrard to cheer about in Miami. Is #3 too high for Tannehille? Absolutely....Were there any QBs drafted last season way earlier than they were projected to be drafted? Hmmmm...Yeah! I think they will make the move to prevent the possability of clevland taking Tannenhille.

Purple Floyd
03-26-2012, 08:20 PM

It is attitudes like that which keep VD so popular:D

Could it be because we are a run first team built around a RB and Kalil is not that great at run blocking, which is said to be the focus of this offense?

And in a few years you would realize it was the best thing that happened to the team.

Purple Floyd
03-26-2012, 08:21 PM
I keep hearing everyone say that if we pass up Kalil or trade our #3 pick that we could be passing up on the next Joe Thomas or Jake Long...So with that being said what kind of impact have those players made on their respective teams?? Has either team been in the playoffs consistantly since they joined their respective teams?

Honestly I think we can get by with a decent OT, more weapons on Offense. If you have enough weapons they have to cover them or give us a open man. If they choose to cover then they switch to a 3 man rush or give up deep help. if they decide to cover then Adrian and crew run the hell out of the ball!!! I honestly think that dropping down out of the 3rd and picking up Reiff in the 1st, with a 2nd this year from Miami - Draft a WR and CB in the 2nd. Would be the best senario. I wouldnt even be mad if we made a bold move and took 2 WRs with our first two picks and then focused on defense! That sure does take care of alot of our problems in one move. Kalil will be great, but you only need great if you have no options. Hes not a great run blocker, so if we are passing then why not just focus on getting more weapons to get rid of the ball quicker? Percy needs help. Ponder can make the reads. He just needs play makers.

My two cents

A very wise post. You need to be on here more often.

Purple Floyd
03-26-2012, 08:24 PM
With all this being said, what would it take for you to be comfortable trading down with Miami? IMHO it would take quite a bit, as we would lose out Kalil, Claiborne, and Blackmon. We could get Reiff still (which would make Marrdro happy

;) ) but that is still a pretty significant drop.

Rather than Reiff I would look at trying to target Martin from Stanford and if we could get kirkpatrick as well then it would be well worth it IMHO.

PackSux!
03-28-2012, 12:06 PM
It is attitudes like that which keep VD so popular:D

Could it be because we are a run first team built around a RB and Kalil is not that great at run blocking, which is said to be the focus of this offense?

And in a few years you would realize it was the best thing that happened to the team.

You sound like an old coach we used to have here. Run Run Run. Have you not realized that the league has made a dramatic shift to passing? I understand your point on Claiborne but it does not make sense to settle for a run blocker when our quarterback is getting killed game in and game out.

If the team goes your route and passes up on Kalil you and everyone else will see how big of a mistake it was to continue to let Ponder get his ass handed to him.

When has a coach said we are a run first team? Or are you just making shit up? I have not heard any coach on this team say we are a run first team this coming season.

Stay put and draft Kalil. We could always trade back up to grab kirkpatrick if he falls a bit, personally I would prefer a taller corner like Kirkpatrick over Claiborne.

I pray that somehow we land Kalil, Kirkpatrick and Hill for our first three picks.

NodakPaul
03-28-2012, 01:39 PM
I pray that somehow we land Kalil, Kirkpatrick and Hill for our first three picks.

If we managed Kalil and Kirkpatrick in our first two, I would probably need a towel afterwards...

NodakPaul
03-28-2012, 01:40 PM
I am going to go on record and say this regardless of what we end up doing in the draft, it will be heralded by some and lamented by others. ;)

Actually, I think that there are so many acceptable options out there for us that I will likely be happy regardless. I am really excited for the draft this year.

Anyone else going to the draft party?

CPonderFan
03-28-2012, 10:02 PM
You sound like an old coach we used to have here. Run Run Run. Have you not realized that the league has made a dramatic shift to passing? I understand your point on Claiborne but it does not make sense to settle for a run blocker when our quarterback is getting killed game in and game out.

If the team goes your route and passes up on Kalil you and everyone else will see how big of a mistake it was to continue to let Ponder get his ass handed to him.

When has a coach said we are a run first team? Or are you just making shit up? I have not heard any coach on this team say we are a run first team this coming season.

Stay put and draft Kalil. We could always trade back up to grab kirkpatrick if he falls a bit, personally I would prefer a taller corner like Kirkpatrick over Claiborne.

I just wonder how many of you guys understand defensive schemes and the checks and balances that have to be in place. Honestly we will be good drafting Kalil, Mo C or Blackmon. But heres my pitch...

Last season we lost 9 games by 7 pts or less. By adding another weapon or two on offense we instantly add a TD/game. I dont care how you slice it, the matchups will be there and DCs will have their hands full trying to figure out how to cover everyone. The impact of adding a True #1 WR makes us a possible playoff team instantly. DCs will be forced to cover our WRs, TEs and RBs. When we pass well, we will run well. Peterson could touch the ball 100 less times a season and get as many if not more yards. Defenses wont load the box or blitz as frequently. Kalil would make a huge difference on our OLine...but he wont give us 7pts/game difference. You need to be balanced. We have been so one sided for the last 5+ years its a wonder we have done as good as we have running the ball. Im surprised Adrians even alive.

I personally think Blackmon would be a mistake, trade out of the 3rd to a team that wants Kalil or Blackmon and drop down to get Floyd (MN Boy) or Hill in the first. In the 2nd round the best thing we could do for our defense would be to draft SF Barron if he is available. In a zone defense the SF is the play maker. Not the CB. We have good enough talent to get the job done.

One of my favorite coaches to watch during the draft if Bilichek. Dude gets the job done. Get value. Drop down, get extra pics, dig deep into the draft.

Purple Floyd
03-28-2012, 10:25 PM

Why are you asking me if i realize it is a passing league? I understand that perfectly well. However, if you wipe the Kalil sputum away from your eyes for a second and actually look at our roster then it becomes pretty clear that what the league trend is means precisely dick because we are not using that template. IF we were building the team that way you might have a point but unless you can edjumicate me on how what Spielman and Co. are putting together fits anything close to a dramatic shift to passing I think what the league is doing is irrelevant.

So what you are saying is every problem with the line was attributed to the LT and by adding one guy the rest of the unit will now be infallible? You are saying that putting Kalil on the line will now halt ponder from taking a hit even if he is as tentative as he was last year and even if he holds the ball too long? Kalil will be able to account for 8-9 man fronts on defense? Hell, if he can do that then draft him.

Yes, that was an exaggeration. I understand he won't fix the situation by himself just as my way wouldn't do it. But there are many ways to build a roster and while we may disagree neither of us are wrong. We just would go about it differently.

If you haven't heard Frazier and Spielman state repeatedly that they were building the team around peterson I suppose I could find a link. Do you think they have been focusing on signing FB's, TE's and run blocking OL because they are going away from the run?

Trade back, get some extra picks and build a stronger, more talented team.

I pray the team trades back and then makes some moves to get Decastro, Martin and Gilmore. Highly unlikely but a better trio.

CPonderFan
03-28-2012, 10:32 PM
+1000

NodakPaul
03-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Last season we lost 9 games by 7 pts or less.

I see this kind of stat brought up every year by damn near every team. :)

It is actually a poor indicator of how close a team is because it is completely contextless, and stats without context are worthless. Many of those games, especially in the first half of the season, were free falls in the second half. We were in some games more because of other teams mistakes than anything special we did.

mountainviking
03-29-2012, 10:35 AM
So, you gotta figure we've got a target or two we're aiming at...IF we move down, who are we looking for? I'm guessing, maybe Reiff, but maybe, its the playmaker we've been talking about, but not Blackmon, maybe we're going for the local kid, Floyd. Better size and the same or better speed and he grew up in St. Paul, which will likely help them sell some jerseys.

Just for giggles, according the ye old chart, the Dolphins 8th pick is worth 800 less than our 3rd...in other words, their 2nd, 3rd and 4th this year, or perhaps, their 2nd this year and next. I'd do that in a fart beat and hope Floyd or Reiff is still there! Pretty good chance one of them is.

Chances are, we can't trade back. Then what? Do we go with who everybody else thinks we should take? Or does Spielman try to prove to the world how much smarter he is than everybody else and jump outside the big-three box [MK, MC, JB]...? When I started pondering who else he could go for there, Floyd seemed the only reasonable answer.

NodakPaul
03-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Just for giggles, according the ye old chart, the Dolphins 8th pick is worth 800 less than our 3rd...in other words, their 2nd, 3rd and 4th this year, or perhaps, their 2nd this year and next. I'd do that in a fart beat and hope Floyd or Reiff is still there! Pretty good chance one of them is.

IDK how accurate that chart is with the new CBA. It was out of date before because of how high rookie contracts got. The new CBA addresses it a little bit, but not enough to make those numbers relevant again. I would say that Miami could realistically trade up for their 2nd and 3rd. Still, I would not be upset at all if we did this and managed to get Reiff.

Chances are, we can't trade back. Then what? Do we go with who everybody else thinks we should take? Or does Spielman try to prove to the world how much smarter he is than everybody else and jump outside the big-three box [MK, MC, JB]...? When I started pondering who else he could go for there, Floyd seemed the only reasonable answer.

If we can't trade down we have to take Kalil or Blackmon. There is no other acceptable choice. If we take Floyd with the #3 pick, there will be a riot in the Metrodome.

Purple Floyd
03-29-2012, 09:52 PM
If we can't trade down we have to take Kalil or Blackmon. There is no other acceptable choice. If we take Floyd with the #3 pick, there will be a riot in the Metrodome.Claiborne.

His stock is rising every day.

singersp
03-30-2012, 07:07 AM

If you haven't heard Frazier and Spielman state repeatedly that they were building the team around Peterson I suppose I could find a link. Do you think they have been focusing on signing FB's, TE's and run blocking OL because they are going away from the run?

And the sooner Frazier & Spielman figure out it isn't working & this is a passing league, the sooner we might become contenders again.

They are going to go "all in" again on a RB that may not be even close to the form he was in previously before the devastating injury. Let's not forget how well their plan to build around AD last year.

By doing absolutely nothing to improve our passing game or at least the threat of it & state publicly that we're going to build around AD , we continue to show teams that we will continue to run the PVO. (Predictable Vanilla Offense)

Purple Floyd
03-30-2012, 07:34 AM
I am not arguing that it probably won't work, my only point is they are not building in the mold of the current trend so it is pointless to ask for moves that do fit the current trend.

RK.
04-04-2012, 01:34 PM
In a surprise move by Spielman the Vikings take an unknown with their 3rd draft pick. Spielman was quoted as saying "It might have been a bit of a reach at #3 but we are being patient and building for the future. ".

http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/blind-kid-playing-football.gif

marshallvike
04-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Claiborne.

His stock is rising every day.

Did he marry your niece or something?
You seem to be working harder to get him a fat paycheck than his agent.

i_bleed_purple
04-04-2012, 04:37 PM
In a surprise move by Spielman the Vikings take an unknown with their 3rd draft pick. Spielman was quoted as saying "It might have been a bit of a reach at #3 but we are being patient and building for the future. ".

http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/blind-kid-playing-football.gif

I think we can get him in the third... but then again, Cook and TJ were supposed to go in the 6th and 7th, so reaching at 3 for this guy would make sense for us..

Purple Floyd
04-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Did he marry your niece or something?
You seem to be working harder to get him a fat paycheck than his agent.

No. In fact it doesn't matter much to me which of the three they take or if they trade but it apparently gets lots of panties in a bunch if you don't buy into the RK hype so I just go there.

skum
04-05-2012, 02:31 AM
With Chris Carr coming here along with Cook being back on the team, us signing Bowman, still having Asher Allen and Winfield around, i think it is becoming much less likely that we pick Claiborne..

I really hope we take Kalil because we need him and he is going to be a beast.. Lets do this!

bleedpurple
04-05-2012, 10:33 AM
I see this kind of stat brought up every year by damn near every team. :)

It is actually a poor indicator of how close a team is because it is completely contextless, and stats without context are worthless. Many of those games, especially in the first half of the season, were free falls in the second half. We were in some games more because of other teams mistakes than anything special we did.

I agree Nodak... I have no idea why ppl keep saying that... it makes no sense.. We lost 9 games by 7 points... and we got blown out by 40 points in like 3 games... Half of those close games we lost we were getting blowed out in the first half when teams just wanted to run the clock out...

We are a LONG way away...

With Chris Carr coming here along with Cook being back on the team, us signing Bowman, still having Asher Allen and Winfield around, i think it is becoming much less likely that we pick Claiborne..

I really hope we take Kalil because we need him and he is going to be a beast.. Lets do this!

Plus we gave up the fifth most sacks last year.... with mobile QB's.... unacceptable... take Khalil

singersp
04-06-2012, 10:42 PM
I agree Nodak... I have no idea why ppl keep saying that... it makes no sense.. We lost 9 games by 7 points... and we got blown out by 40 points in like 3 games... Half of those close games we lost we were getting blowed out in the first half when teams just wanted to run the clock out...

And we don't hear, "Last year we won 1 game by more than 7 points."

singersp
04-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Spielman: Vikings might trade No. 3 pick, even at the last minute

NFL.com news: Spielman: Vikings might trade No. 3 pick, even at the last minute (http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d8282553a/article/spielman-vikings-might-trade-no-3-pick-even-at-the-last-minute)

AngloVike
04-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Spielman: Vikings might trade No. 3 pick, even at the last minute

NFL.com news: Spielman: Vikings might trade No. 3 pick, even at the last minute (http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d8282553a/article/spielman-vikings-might-trade-no-3-pick-even-at-the-last-minute)

well scarcely a revelation, any team can consider a trade at any time - thats the nature of the beast.

Bottom line is that whatver the Vikes do or don't do in terms of a trade or who they pick/don't pick - then someone on this board is going to be bitching and moaning from now until next years draft :beatupchickensmall:

singersp
04-08-2012, 09:19 AM
well scarcely a revelation, any team can consider a trade at any time - thats the nature of the beast.

Bottom line is that whatver the Vikes do or don't do in terms of a trade or who they pick/don't pick - then someone on this board is going to be bitching and moaning from now until next years draft :beatupchickensmall:

Only until next year?

Hell, there are those that are still bitching about draft picks we made over 5 years ago that are no longer on the team.

singersp
04-12-2012, 07:57 AM
ESPNís Bill Polian Thinks Vikings, Dolphins Could Swap First Round Picks

ESPN's Bill Polian Thinks Vikings, Dolphins Could Swap First Round Picks - NFL Mocks - Covering the 2012 NFL draft, Mock Draft Database, Scouting Reports, and Fantasy Football (http://nflmocks.com/2012/04/11/espns-bill-polian-thinks-vikings-dolphins-could-swap-first-round-picks/)

MorrisCaliborne
04-12-2012, 05:30 PM
ESPNís Bill Polian Thinks Vikings, Dolphins Could Swap First Round Picks

ESPN's Bill Polian Thinks Vikings, Dolphins Could Swap First Round Picks - NFL Mocks - Covering the 2012 NFL draft, Mock Draft Database, Scouting Reports, and Fantasy Football (http://nflmocks.com/2012/04/11/espns-bill-polian-thinks-vikings-dolphins-could-swap-first-round-picks/)

Dolphins would be retarded to trade with the Vikings to draft Tannelhill, Tannehill is not worth the overall #3 but if they trade up to get Justin Blackmon then it is a smart move for them

Webby
04-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Hey Morris, welcome! Introduce yourself in the Free Beer forum!

If we swap, what more do we get!

YouthVikesFan
04-12-2012, 11:48 PM
Boy would I love to swap picks with the dolphins. For one we can still land one of the top 2 players of our biggest needs (kalil or riley, blackmon or floyd) I really dont think you can go wrong with either one. I also think tannehill will be a huge bust which mean we get a top 10 pick from the dolphins next year and maybe the year after that, not sure what it will take for them to jump up at #3.

Make the trade vikings!

VKG4LFE
04-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Boy would I love to swap picks with the dolphins. For one we can still land one of the top 2 players of our biggest needs (kalil or riley, blackmon or floyd) I really dont think you can go wrong with either one. I also think tannehill will be a huge bust which mean we get a top 10 pick from the dolphins next year and maybe the year after that, not sure what it will take for them to jump up at #3.

Make the trade vikings!

I don't think we would be getting their first rounder next year as well as the following year. They would at most trade up and give us their first this year and second this year and that is unlikely.

NodakPaul
04-13-2012, 08:19 AM
I don't think we would be getting their first rounder next year as well as the following year. They would at most trade up and give us their first this year and second this year and that is unlikely.

Our 1st for the Dolphins's 1st and 2nd this year? That is actually a pretty good deal for the Dolphins. I could even see it being our first for their 1st, 2nd and 4th to be honest.

Now that the CBA has rookie contracts a LITTLE more under control, the value of top 10 draft picks has gone back up in theory. This is the first year to put that to the test, but we have already seen evidence of it with the Redskins/Rams trade.

I would also like to see a trade, but I won't be disappointed if we don't get one. Regardless, I also hope we package some of our later picks to get at least one more pick in the first three rounds.

VKG4LFE
04-13-2012, 08:31 AM
Our 1st for the Dolphins's 1st and 2nd this year? That is actually a pretty good deal for the Dolphins. I could even see it being our first for their 1st, 2nd and 4th to be honest.

Now that the CBA has rookie contracts a LITTLE more under control, the value of top 10 draft picks has gone back up in theory. This is the first year to put that to the test, but we have already seen evidence of it with the Redskins/Rams trade.

I would also like to see a trade, but I won't be disappointed if we don't get one. Regardless, I also hope we package some of our later picks to get at least one more pick in the first three rounds.

Good point Nodak, I just don't think the dolphins are going to go for that. I would jump all over your scenario if the option was there for the vikes but I just don't see it happening.

NodakPaul
04-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Good point Nodak, I just don't think the dolphins are going to go for that. I would jump all over your scenario if the option was there for the vikes but I just don't see it happening.

Personally I don't see it happening either. Not for Tannehill. My gut says that we will stay put and draft Kalil or Blackmon. I know that Blackmon would be a surprise pick, but if we can take Blackmon with the #3 and then trade back up into the second half of the 1st to grab Reiff, that would be my ideal scenario. But I also wouldn't be upset in any way if we end up taking Kalil like everyone is predicting.

VKG4LFE
04-13-2012, 09:12 AM

Personally I don't see it happening either. Not for Tannehill. My gut says that we will stay put and draft Kalil or Blackmon. I know that Blackmon would be a surprise pick, but if we can take Blackmon with the #3 and then trade back up into the second half of the 1st to grab Reiff, that would be my ideal scenario. But I also wouldn't be upset in any way if we end up taking Kalil like everyone is predicting.

Absolutely, that would be perfect!

bleedpurple
04-13-2012, 11:10 AM

that scenario would take a slew of picks.... not to mention we'd have to trade back into the to 12 possibly top 10 to nab Reiff... so it won't be worth it...

Better scenario would be to draft khalil and take a randal, hill, or toon later on...

mountainviking
04-13-2012, 01:03 PM
The difference in value between the 3rd and 8th pick is roughly equal to the Dolphins giving us their 2, 3 AND 4. We'd really like to trade back tho, so maybe, we'll take less. What I'm hoping for is their 2nd this year and next! Sure, they'd be out of 2nd rounders, but they have 2 thirds this year and next due to trading Marshall to CHI. OR perhaps, their 2nd this year and one of their thirds this year and one next year...maybe even their later third this year and earlier one in 2013.

Draft Countdown - Trade Value Chart (http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php)

2nd round picks are golden because there is still a lot of talented options available, and their contracts are much lower, giving a much needed boost to a team like us who are pretty much walking the salary cap tightrope and still have more holes than pegs.

As mentioned, at 8, we can still get Reiff, or whichever of Blackmon/Floyd falls, and then we've got two high 2nds to address the LT/WR we didn't get in the 1st AND, a top Safety (or LB or DT or CB) prospect!!

jmcdon00
04-13-2012, 03:41 PM
I would think if a trade is going to happen it will happen before draft day, everyone knows that picks 1 and 2 are locks.
The Vikings will keep saying they are open to offers to keep everyone else from making deals.
In the end I think they will draft Kalil.
I think if they want to acquire more picks they will likely trade the 35th overall pick. Should be lots of interest in first round talent that is falling to the second round.
As usual we have to wait and see what happens.

Johnson14
04-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Can not wait for the draft!.. FWIW I think, like Jake, we will stay at 3 and draft Kalil.