PDA

View Full Version : Vikings Top FA Targets

SharperImage
01-31-2012, 06:37 PM
Minnesota Vikings: 7 Top Players to Target in Free Agency and the Draft | Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1044454-minnesota-vikings-7-top-players-to-target-in-free-agency-and-the-draft)

I expect us to Draft Ryan Khalil, sign Finnegan, V.Jackson. Draft Tommy Streeter. That right there is a big boost to our team

midgensa
01-31-2012, 07:47 PM
Damn man ... who is Ryan Khalil?

Just busting your balls there.

If we did all this (which is all affordable and doable) we would be very interesting and competitive next season. We could easily draft Minnfield, Streeter and Kalil. We could also bring in Finnegan, Jackson and Lofton without breaking the bank.

I have a hard time believing that all those free agents would WANT to come here. But if we convinced them to and drafted that well ... we would immediately be an 8-8 type team with 10-win upside (if Ponder in fact improves).

mad-dog_six-eight
01-31-2012, 11:00 PM
free agency is getting me really excited. it sounds like the vikes will at least try to be active this year (for once).

i_bleed_purple
02-01-2012, 07:49 AM
Just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I fully do not expect us to make any major FA signings (No V-Jax, Lofton or Finnegan). Some depth players, some young players with high upsides and draft well. Tht's what we need to do. We're not going to be winning the division this year, build for the future.Otherwise we're just tying up future cap money to lose.

12purplepride28
02-01-2012, 07:49 AM
I'd much prefer Bowe over Jackson, but if we do get either I'll be thrilled. I'd like to draft Kalil, and a WR in the 3rd or 4th and with our 2nd pick just go DT or maybe even OG. Lot of holes to fill.

tarkenton10
02-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Minnesota Vikings: 7 Top Players to Target in Free Agency and the Draft | Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1044454-minnesota-vikings-7-top-players-to-target-in-free-agency-and-the-draft)

I expect us to Draft Ryan Khalil, sign Finnegan, V.Jackson. Draft Tommy Streeter. That right there is a big boost to our team

I think you mean Matt Khalil. What I would do if I were GM is to try to get two out of these three FA- Carl Nicks (1st priority, We desparately need OL), Mike Wallace WR -Steelers, Brandon Carr CB- Chiefs. My second priority would be Wallace, seems WR are more of a bust in the NFL then CBs. Much harder to find a good WR IMO!

Then the draft scenario:

Trade with the Redskins and get their #6, #38 & #102. Value chart says theat's about right, we may get more for it if it starts a bidding war.

Round 1
Riley Rieff - LOT Iowa - Some have him just behind Khalil and could be a great get. He has good feet and good technique.

Round 2
Donterie Poe DT -Memphis - Big body and a good 0 Tech. Marrdro will be happy. Very hard to move and eats up blocks.
Michael Floyd WR - ND or Stephon Gilmore CB- USC, Xavier Rhodes CB -FSU (this depends on who we sign in FA. If we get a WR we should draft a CB and vica versa.

Round 3

LaVante David OLB -Neb. - He has great hips, great mobility and is a playmaker. Great speed for OLB and great in coverage. ONly knock he is a little undersized.

Round 4

La michael James RB- Ore- Great change of pace guy. This may change depending on Peterson and Gerhart's status.
Shawn Prater CB -Iowa - Redkins pick #102) We all can agree we need help on the back end even if we get a top Fa or a top draft choice we need more than just one CB we need a few.

Round 5

Ryan Miller OG - Colorado
Quote from Walter football:

Miller had a strong senior season with some impressive games. He showed the ability to be a forceful run blocker. Miller is a very good athlete and has excellent quickness to fire out of his stance to get to the second level. He anchors well in the pass rush and has the mobility to slide with defenders. Miller has the skill set to get some consideration at right tackle. He had an impressive game against Washington.

I think our OL would be dramatically improved and we would be dangerous on O with a true #1 in Wallace. La michael James would add a dangerous twist to our O.

ON D adding Poe would solidify our run D and help JA on the line. David will help as he can run with backs and TEs. And hopefully the Two CBs drafted will work out and we will improve a pass D!

Just some thoughts and if all the players work out I think we could be *8-8 in 2012 with alot of upside in 2013. Just my opinion and what I would do if I was in charge. What do ya think?

midgensa
02-01-2012, 01:35 PM
I think you mean Matt Khalil.
I think he means Matt Kalil.

Also, Mike Wallace is a restricted free agent that would likely cost us a boatload in cash (to keep it from being matched) and a first round pick. He simply would not be worth that much. He will remain in Pittsburgh unless they magically just decide not to keep him around for some reason.

For the money and the pick he would cost we could WAY overpay for a Vincent Jackson type in a 4-year deal and still not be dishing the kind of money Wallace would cost.

As for your other FAs. I think Nicks definitely could be leaving town due to the money that New Orleans is going to spend on Brees. But I also would not be shocked to see Nicks get franchised. All that said. They are going to have to franchise Nicks or Colston, which means one of them will see the open market and both could help fill a need here.

I would love to see us in the market for Brandon Carr. But I think most pundits out there see him back in K.C.

I don't mind the trade back scenario though as I do like Rieff. I just don't think he is the elite level OT like Matt Kalil is. I am hoping that if we are able to move our No. 3 we can move it to the Browns and then take Kalil anyways at No. 4.

I think the scenario presented in the bleacherreport article is not all that far-fetched. The biggest problem with going after V.Jax, Colston, Bowe, Lofton, Finnegan, Carr, etc. is convincing them that we are a team that can win NOW and seriously contend SOON. Once one of the dominoes falls then a couple others might, but getting that first guy to sign is going to be very tough.

seaniemck7
02-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Round 2
Donterie Poe DT -Memphis - Big body and a good 0 Tech. Marrdro will be happy. Very hard to move and eats up blocks.
Michael Floyd WR - ND or Stephon Gilmore CB- USC, Xavier Rhodes CB -FSU (this depends on who we sign in FA. If we get a WR we should draft a CB and vica versa.

I like your ideas, even the trade back and taking Reiff. However I have seen Poe projected as hight as 11 to KC. There are too many teams running 3-4's these days for him to fall out of the first round. With all of the injuries (not to mention age) on the Steelers DLine. I don't see how he gets past them unless he poops the bed at the combine.

tarkenton10
02-01-2012, 02:10 PM
I think he means Matt Kalil.

Also, Mike Wallace is a restricted free agent that would likely cost us a boatload in cash (to keep it from being matched) and a first round pick. He simply would not be worth that much. He will remain in Pittsburgh unless they magically just decide not to keep him around for some reason.

For the money and the pick he would cost we could WAY overpay for a Vincent Jackson type in a 4-year deal and still not be dishing the kind of money Wallace would cost.

As for your other FAs. I think Nicks definitely could be leaving town due to the money that New Orleans is going to spend on Brees. But I also would not be shocked to see Nicks get franchised. All that said. They are going to have to franchise Nicks or Colston, which means one of them will see the open market and both could help fill a need here.

I would love to see us in the market for Brandon Carr. But I think most pundits out there see him back in K.C.

I don't mind the trade back scenario though as I do like Rieff. I just don't think he is the elite level OT like Matt Kalil is. I am hoping that if we are able to move our No. 3 we can move it to the Browns and then take Kalil anyways at No. 4.

I think the scenario presented in the bleacherreport article is not all that far-fetched. The biggest problem with going after V.Jax, Colston, Bowe, Lofton, Finnegan, Carr, etc. is convincing them that we are a team that can win NOW and seriously contend SOON. Once one of the dominoes falls then a couple others might, but getting that first guy to sign is going to be very tough.

I thought Wallace was unrestricted, sorry. We could get Bowe or Carr. Like I said if We can't get a WR then we should draft Michael Floyd in round 2. Great hands and concentration. Kahlil is great but Rieff has been getting a lot of love recently and could be an elite tackle, I am curious to see his combine!!

tarkenton10
02-01-2012, 02:14 PM
I like your ideas, even the trade back and taking Reiff. However I have seen Poe projected as hight as 11 to KC. There are too many teams running 3-4's these days for him to fall out of the first round. With all of the injuries (not to mention age) on the Steelers DLine. I don't see how he gets past them unless he poops the bed at the combine.

If he is not there then there is another big guy who has potential in Alameda Ta'amu out of Washington. Some have him higher than Poe so we could draft him instead. We defintely need a 0 tech guy to help eat up the blocks.

Purple Floyd
02-01-2012, 06:44 PM
I think we will sign a few guys from the secondary in Indy, draft an OL in the mid rounds and sign a few obscure FA WR's with about 50 combined career receptions that we will "Groom"

tarkenton10
02-02-2012, 10:12 AM
I think we will sign a few guys from the secondary in Indy, draft an OL in the mid rounds and sign a few obscure FA WR's with about 50 combined career receptions that we will "Groom"

Yeah baby!! Super bowl here we come, BRILLIANT!!

tastywaves
02-02-2012, 10:55 AM

Looking for work? I think Ricky might be interested.

singersp
02-03-2012, 06:42 AM
If there's a FA player that will most likely be snatched up in the first 3 days of FA, chances are the Vikings won't be signing them.

Spielman will continue to look for "a deal" after the players have been picked over & also sign players that end up being cut, waived released by other teams when they make room for their "new guys" or take them off their practice squads.

2011;

Remi Ayodele, DL (New Orleans)

Michael Jenkins, WR (Atlanta)

Mark Washington, LB (Free Agent)

Devin Aromashodu, WR (Chicago)

2012 additions thus far;

01/26/2012 Solomon Elimimian - Signed to Vikings
01/18/2012 Jose Valdez - Signed to Vikings
01/18/2012 Daniel Hardy - Signed to Vikings
01/13/2012 McLeod Bethel-Thompson - Signed to Vikings
01/05/2012 Matt Asiata - Signed to Vikings
01/02/2012 Butch Lewis - Signed to Vikings
01/02/2012 Allen Reisner - Signed to Vikings
01/02/2012 Tyrone McKenzie - Signed to Vikings
01/02/2012 Reggie Jones - Signed to Vikings
01/02/2012 Kris Adams - Signed to Vikings
01/02/2012 Chris DeGeare - Signed to Vikings

Read more: Minnesota Vikings Transactions, Signings, Cuts - Pro Football - SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/minnesota-vikings/transactions.html#ixzz1lK46otP3)

Caine
02-03-2012, 07:27 AM
If there's a FA player that will most likely be snatched up in the first 3 days of FA, chances are the Vikings won't be signing them.

Spielman will continue to look for "a deal" after the players have been picked over & also sign players that end up being cut, waived released by other teams when they make room for their "new guys" or take them off their practice squads.

2011;

Remi Ayodele, DL (New Orleans)

Michael Jenkins, WR (Atlanta)

Mark Washington, LB (Free Agent)

Devin Aromashodu, WR (Chicago)

2012 additions thus far;

01/26/2012 Solomon Elimimian - Signed to Vikings
01/18/2012 Jose Valdez - Signed to Vikings
01/18/2012 Daniel Hardy - Signed to Vikings
01/13/2012 McLeod Bethel-Thompson - Signed to Vikings
01/05/2012 Matt Asiata - Signed to Vikings
01/02/2012 Butch Lewis - Signed to Vikings
01/02/2012 Allen Reisner - Signed to Vikings
01/02/2012 Tyrone McKenzie - Signed to Vikings
01/02/2012 Reggie Jones - Signed to Vikings
01/02/2012 Kris Adams - Signed to Vikings
01/02/2012 Chris DeGeare - Signed to Vikings

Read more: Minnesota Vikings Transactions, Signings, Cuts - Pro Football - SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/minnesota-vikings/transactions.html#ixzz1lK46otP3)

Sadly, I agree. I don't see the Vikings being aggressive in FA this season....but mostly because I'm not convinced that the Vikings know what they want to accomplish.

As fans, we all have notions on which players fit OUR vision of what our team should be....but it's our Coaching Staff's vision that matters....and I'm not sure that our Staff's vision is all that clear of late. With us eyeballing Coordinators, that says that our future path is uncertain....and that equates to not knowing which guys wil fit the roles we will have available.

To further compound the issue, even when we had a clear, albeit crappy, vision (The former KAO), we missed HORRIBLY on personnel acquisition.

I see us playing it "safe" (i.e failing to move forward appreciably) and targeting players who are "value" guys as Singer suggests.

Caine

MaxVike
02-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Sadly, I agree. I don't see the Vikings being aggressive in FA this season....but mostly because I'm not convinced that the Vikings know what they want to accomplish.

As fans, we all have notions on which players fit OUR vision of what our team should be....but it's our Coaching Staff's vision that matters....and I'm not sure that our Staff's vision is all that clear of late. With us eyeballing Coordinators, that says that our future path is uncertain....and that equates to not knowing which guys wil fit the roles we will have available.

To further compound the issue, even when we had a clear, albeit crappy, vision (The former KAO), we missed HORRIBLY on personnel acquisition.

I see us playing it "safe" (i.e failing to move forward appreciably) and targeting players who are "value" guys as Singer suggests.

Caine

I also, sadly, agree.

Would think the Henderson bros will be gone and that we would address LB through FA and mid round draft. If any FA acquisition occurs, I think it will be at OL...for some reason, I think they are targeting Grubbs from Baltimore. Don't see VJax, or DJax, and, frankly, DJax is an immature cancerous punk. That said, going into next season without a complete overhaul of the WR position simply is not an option IMO. A real problem.

Safeties can be had in FA without breaking the bank too, I see a mix of FA and draft for LB, DB, OL, and WR... It will be interesting to see where the balance of FA and draft activity concludes.

Marrdro
02-04-2012, 07:19 AM
I have a hard time believing that all those free agents would WANT to come here. But if we convinced them to and drafted that well ... we would immediately be an 8-8 type team with 10-win upside (if Ponder in fact improves).
Weren't you the one who was saying this same stuff when we hired the Chiller, and yet, we saw FA's signed.

Its all about the money my friend. Pay them and they will come.

As for me, I hope (but I don't think they will do it) that the staff targets 2 FA's....

Jared Gaither - Proven LT.
Vincent Jackson - Guy they should have signed two years ago to replace Rice when he was injured.

Draft......

1rst. _Blackmon. Add this cat (2 defenders) to Percy (2 defenders), VJax (2 Defenders) along with Gaither and you don't have protection issues anymore.

2nd. Ta'amu. Anyone watch the tape on this kid? Hell, go back and look at what he did with only a few reps in the Senior bowl. Not only does he command double teams, he will push those doubles back into the pocket. JA will set the sack record for you yutz's who only worry about things of that nature.

Work in a OLB (Keenen Robinson is interesting 3rd or 4th), MLB (5th Cole or Acho might still be there), TE (I like Kevin Koger 4th) a S and a 2 CB's if Hussain and Cook aren't coming back. 1 CB if Cook is coming back. Time for Whinny to hit the road.

Move Griff back to the Sam, put Greenway back to the Wil and let Jasper play the Mike if EJ doesn't come back.

AND ABOVE ALLLLLLLLLLLLL.......GET RID OF SHORTWELL.

Johnson14
02-05-2012, 06:12 AM

Are you Rick Spielman?!?!

Marrdro
02-05-2012, 07:23 AM

Caine
How so? You sound like an Oblama apologist. :D

Hutchinson, CT, Leber - ?

Berrian. Was very productive pre-noodle.

Not a FA, but JA was a damn smart, and un-predicted move. Most on here were pissed we didn't go after Smith.

Who did we miss out on? Garcia? A couple of WR's that wound up being crap.

Our drafts were still way above league average with respect to making the team and thats even after the 2007 class mess.

Look, I know you still want to believe that the only reason we made it as far as we did in 2009 was because of the Noodle, but it wasn't. We got that far cause we had a damn talented team.

I will give you this. I agree that we won't be as active as I would like to see, but it will be more inline with the loss of vision at the HC and down than it will be with trying to blame the past HC.

tarkenton10
02-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Weren't you the one who was saying this same stuff when we hired the Chiller, and yet, we saw FA's signed.

Its all about the money my friend. Pay them and they will come.

As for me, I hope (but I don't think they will do it) that the staff targets 2 FA's....

Jared Gaither - Proven LT.
Vincent Jackson - Guy they should have signed two years ago to replace Rice when he was injured.

Draft......

1rst. _Blackmon. Add this cat (2 defenders) to Percy (2 defenders), VJax (2 Defenders) along with Gaither and you don't have protection issues anymore.

2nd. Ta'amu. Anyone watch the tape on this kid? Hell, go back and look at what he did with only a few reps in the Senior bowl. Not only does he command double teams, he will push those doubles back into the pocket. JA will set the sack record for you yutz's who only worry about things of that nature.

Work in a OLB (Keenen Robinson is interesting 3rd or 4th), MLB (5th Cole or Acho might still be there), TE (I like Kevin Koger 4th) a S and a 2 CB's if Hussain and Cook aren't coming back. 1 CB if Cook is coming back. Time for Whinny to hit the road.

Move Griff back to the Sam, put Greenway back to the Wil and let Jasper play the Mike if EJ doesn't come back.

AND ABOVE ALLLLLLLLLLLLL.......GET RID OF SHORTWELL.

Ilike the idea of getting VJ or drafting Blackman but both is too much when we need to fix the D. I have said we trade down with Wsh. And get Reiff a very good LT get Carl Nicks in FA and move Johnson to RT. That would be a damn good OL. with our 2nd pick get poe or Ta,amu and then with wsh. 2nd pick draft a DB. The third round pick I want David WLB out of Nebraska this is a guy who can cover RB and TE and he has great football instincts. Grab a DB and S in Fa and we will be a much improved team talent wise my Friend!! :)

Dibbzz
02-08-2012, 11:50 PM
I think if we could somehow manage to get Courtland Finigan and LeRon Landry somehow that would kick a lot of ass for our weak secondary. I was thinking how good it would be to get Vincent Jackson or Dwayne Bowe but they're going to be too expensive and we can always address WR in the draft. That said, I would be intrigued about the idea of bringing in either Mario Manningham or Steve Johnson (if he doesn't sign a long-term deal with Buffalo) since they'd hopefully be a bit cheaper on the Viking's wallets.

Ben Grubbs or a Carl Nicks would be great for the offensive line but sadly I feel that they, too would be expensive and are looking for more lucrative contracts then we'd be willing to offer. I have a feeling either Reiff or Kalil will be our first pick to take care of that need.

tarkenton10
02-09-2012, 08:41 AM
I think if we could somehow manage to get Courtland Finigan and LeRon Landry somehow that would kick a lot of ass for our weak secondary. I was thinking how good it would be to get Vincent Jackson or Dwayne Bowe but they're going to be too expensive and we can always address WR in the draft. That said, I would be intrigued about the idea of bringing in either Mario Manningham or Steve Johnson (if he doesn't sign a long-term deal with Buffalo) since they'd hopefully be a bit cheaper on the Viking's wallets.

Ben Grubbs or a Carl Nicks would be great for the offensive line but sadly I feel that they, too would be expensive and are looking for more lucrative contracts then we'd be willing to offer. I have a feeling either Reiff or Kalil will be our first pick to take care of that need.

I would rather address the DB situation witht the draft rather than WR. The WR position has way more busts than DBs coming out of college. Get an established really good #1 WR in FA and draft dbs. I think we will take an OL iwth the first pick also, but I hope we get Nicks that would be a great fit. The other thing that is good about drafting a LOT is that you can address two positions. You can move Johnson in to a guard position or even move him to right tackle because I am not sure loadholt is cutting it.

I don't like Landry, he is a big hitting S but with the new rules that isn't as big an advantage as before. And landry's cover skills are not the greatest, plus he will be looking to land a big payday.

mountainviking
02-10-2012, 11:01 AM
We can only hope that Spielman and company are looking at this like we are! It’s a two part process, First Free Agency, and then the draft. We're sitting in a pretty good place as far as the draft goes, thanks to our worst season ever and the fact that Edwards, Rice, and Jackson got starting gigs for decent contracts elsewhere, which should lead to some extra compensatory picks...but, Free Agency happens first, so we'll need to get our priorities straight before March 13!

First off, we've got to make some tough decisions on our own free agents. According to KFFL, we've got a lot of guys about to hit the market. My guess is we won't resign many, if any before that time comes. Instead, letting them hit the market to see what they can command, and then signing them back for deals later…if we can.

Shanko, maybe for a reasonable rate, if his head isn't bigger than reality.
EJ,well, we might give Jasper a chance in what looks to be a youth movement, but I think we’d be wise to keep him for a reasonable price tag on a 3-4 year contract.
If we let Fred Evens and Letroy Guion go, we'll need at least 2 more DTs in the rotation...?
BB is gone, Camarilo and Aromashado could be too...I like Aromashadu a lot, as a third or fourth guy. Might be a guy to resign early to a reasonable contract with incentives.
Couple of 3rd on the depth chart guys, Sage and Booker will need replacing if we don’t resign them...I'd kinda like to keep Sage as I think he fits the role of veteran with some experience who can perhaps help our 2 young guys develop...and for a good price. I’m pretty confident we can get a good third RB in the middle rounds of the draft…maybe even a shifty, fast guy who can upgrade the return game too.
And then there's the secondary, a long time weakness where we've got 3 S and 2 CBs hitting Free Agency and another likely going to jail. We might need to draft one of each AND sign a FA of each!
That’s just the guys whose contracts are ending; we’ve also got some serious rebuilding to do along our OL. Hutch’s health has become an issue, LT is non-existant and RG and RT could use better depth at the least.

2012 NFL Free Agents (http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html)

The way I see it, we need to pick our battles well, it’s pretty likely we won’t sign the top guy at any position, given our cap and status as third worst team in football. The LT cupboard looks pretty bare. San Diego cut McNeil, so I’m guessing they’ll keep Gaither. Bell looks likely to return to Buffalo. WR on the other hand features a pretty impressive list: Vincent Jackson, Dwayne Bowe, and Marques Colston at the top, and then some pretty durn good 2nd tier guys in Reggie Wayne, Stevie Johnson, and Brandon Lloyd. It looks like we could probably get a good deep threat in free agency. V-Jax can totally dominate games at times, but also disappears in others and is getting up there in age having just turned 29. If he’d take an incentive laden contract with good base pay, I’d be all for him, but I think I’d rather snag Colston or Bowe due to them being younger and a bit less likely to be a headache.

IF we’re willing to spend, there are also some upgrades available at CB. My gut feeling is that Cortland Finnegan will follow Fischer to St Louis, but guys like Brandon Carr, Carlos Rogers, Brent Grimes and Richard Marshall would provide some much needed, top-end depth to our secondary. I’d like to see a push for a cover corner like Carr, AND a guy who can play safety like Marshall.

IF we can add a deep threat WR, a CB with cover skills, and a decent Safety option in free agency, we roll into the draft with some of the biggest holes filled and knowing what we want: a LT in the first, and probably a DT and/or LB at the top of the 2nd. Maybe, we even move that 2nd round pick up a lil with some of those late picks we’ve been stockpiling. Thing is, even if STL snags Kalil ahead of us, that leaves RG3 or Luck sitting there as trade bait, and we can most likely move back a few spots and still land Reily Reiff or Jonathan Martin as our LT of the future.
I’ve seen quite a few mocks that have us landing Kalil and then Dontari Poe with our first two picks, and I’d be thrilled with that scenario, to see some youth infused on BOTH sides of the trenches!! Fat Chance Poe falls all the way to the 35th pick tho…guys who are 350 and can still move are pretty dang rare. So, maybe, we have to give up a bit to make it happen. We’d still have plenty of later picks left for developmental and special teams type guys, and a TE who’s main function is blocking.

I believe that these moves along with some positive development from our 2 young QBs puts us in a position to compete immediately…ya know, a 8-8 range team who might luck into a playoff spot if they stay healthy, improve as the year rolls on, and get hot at just the right moment, ala NYG. I just hope we don’t go fully into the young and cheap routine, and try to rebuild through the draft only, cuz that will likely take 2 or 3 or maybe even 4 years! D’oh!!!

Well, there’s my plan, what-do-ya think PPO???

Braddock
02-15-2012, 05:44 PM

I'm ok with it. However, If Wilf is going to have to put up $1 Billion for a stadium, then we won't be able to afford anybody. :( C'mon Minnesota, agree to some taxes that I, as a floridian, will not have to pay. You Cheap-os

PackSux!
02-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Albert Haynesworth. I said it last year and I will say it this year. He would come cheap and I would be willing to bet that KWill and Jared would be able to light a fire under his ass.

Albert is a head case but when he gets pissed he is a machine.

Purple Floyd
02-16-2012, 07:09 AM
He certainly would look good in a 3-4

singersp
02-16-2012, 07:42 AM
Albert Haynesworth? Is he even relevant anymore?

When is the last time he put forth a decent season? 2009? 2008?

i_bleed_purple
02-16-2012, 09:10 AM
I'm ok with it. However, If Wilf is going to have to put up $1 Billion for a stadium, then we won't be able to afford anybody. :( C'mon Minnesota, agree to some taxes that I, as a floridian, will not have to pay. You Cheap-os

except...no.

Stadium comes out of Wilf's pocket.

Team salary comes out of team funds.

mountainviking
02-16-2012, 09:57 AM
except...no.

Stadium comes out of Wilf's pocket.

Team salary comes out of team funds.

I think that the Vikings and a new stadium brings enough cash flow into the area to have a local sales tax help pay for the stadium. Not a statewide, everybody pays, but something that targets the fans who go to the games...and concerts and other sporting events etc that a new stadium would host. If we can host one Superbowl, or Final Four because we have a new stadium, it will bring enough money to the area to more than justify it.

Not to mention all the extra jobs it will create. Come on MN, lets get this done!

Back to Free Agents...another realization on Finnegan at CB: if he doesn't follow Fischer to STL, good chance he rejoins his old DC in Detroit. D'oh!

Marrdro
03-02-2012, 04:57 AM
I think we have the following areas to address in the FA, Draft and late FA periods:

a. DT
b. LT
c. CB
d. FS
e. MLB (no need for a OLB is they move Griff to the Sam and Chad back to the Will)
f. WR (need two of them)
g. G
h. RB

DT - There are 3 starters in this draft with 2 later round projects. Poe, Brocker and Da'atamu

Poe will go to high to get him. Brocker will also go in the latter part of the first. 3rd best 0/1 technique is Da'atamu who might slide into the first, early second just because there is alot of need for them, especially now that the rest of the league is now onboard with the need to have a DT that can collapse a pocket.

Might be a hard spot to fill if your not willing to use your second or a mix of picks to move back up into the first round.

WR - A very nice FA class and an even better draft class.

FA
Vjax, as much as I like him, will probably cost to much. Only hope we have is that we showed interest in him once, we might try to get him again.

Colston is to injury prone but wouldn't be to upset if we landed him.

Garcon is the one I think we will target.

All others, like Bowe will either be tagged or cost more than we can afford.

Draft - I like several of the Z recievers coming out this year starting with Blackmon but think Kalil will be the guy we use our first pick on so he is out of the question. If we use our second rounder on a DT, then we should be looking at the BWRA at the top of the 3rd. Guys like Floyd, Randle, Jeffrey and Hill will all probably go in the second so your left with Sanu, Toon and Criner early in the third.

Solution....Get Garcon as your FA and draft one of the cats I listed above that is there in the 3rd.

TE - This is a problem this year. Not much to draft and because of that, everyone will be over paying for TE's, especially if they are a "inline" kindof cat that can block and catch.

Only solution I see is to resign Shanc and get our damn staff to quit using so many damn TE's.

G - I think you keep Herrera or pick up a vet to replace him. Let Hutch go and draft a kid to compete for a starting spot with your G's already on the roster but your number one solution should be to put Charlie there to play next to Kalil to help him out.

My biggest concern is Herrera seems to be pretty injury prone. If we are lucky we will fix that spot in FA.

OLB - As I said, this is easy. Move Chad back, have Griff slim down a bit and draft some depth behind them.

MLB - Give Jasper the nod, but draft a kid in the 4th. I haven't had time to look at them, but the class doesn't seem like it is full of MLB's that are worth drafting. We might have to look at the FA market here and if so, then I would recommend we go ahead and see what kindof deal we can do with EJ.

I bet the feeling on here is that he needs to go, but I am not so sure that we can't get one more year out of him, especially if we fix the OLB spots that our new Asst HC/LB coach screwed up last year. Chad and Griff would be active enough around the line to give EJ the lattitude to play back in his zone as the scheme dictates vice up on the line like we saw so much last year.

CB/FS - Good thing for us, this draft is a glut with them, especially the "Press Zone"/"C2" types we are looking for.

I say you keep Griff, drop Whinny and hope to all that is holy that Cook was defending himself and is allowed to come back. Let Asher, Burton and Sherels fight it out for the backup spots behind Cook and Griff.

- Key note - For those of you that want to tell me that Griff is done, lets not forget, it takes 2 years to come back from a knee like he had (twice). My guess is he was just starting to come around late last year as his play indicated when he was allowed to play towards the end.

RB - RB's are a dime a dozen now. Draft one late, and bring in 3 or 4 undrafted guys and see what happens with AD and Toby come camp time.

Marrdro
03-02-2012, 05:00 AM
Albert Haynesworth? Is he even relevant anymore?

When is the last time he put forth a decent season? 2009? 2008?
As much as I want one, you just have to say no to this cat. He only likes to play on passing downs and just barely then.

Mark_The_Viking
03-02-2012, 07:00 AM
As much as I want one, you just have to say no to this cat. He only likes to play on passing downs and just barely then.

I'd rather have Culpepper and Fred Smoot in the starting lineup than that overpriced tub 'o' lard

PackSux!
03-02-2012, 09:00 AM
I'd rather have Culpepper and Fred Smoot in the starting lineup than that overpriced tub 'o' lard

Overpriced? This isnt baseball and the players dont carry their contracts with them. Not to mention he was cut and has no contract.

Perhaps it is wishfull thinking on my part to think Jared Allen and Kevin Williams could motivate the big man to play up to his potential.

There is no doubt he will come cheap to whomever he plays for this season.

If its true that Albert only wants to play on passing downs, then its a good thing the NFL has become a passing game and I dont recall the packers and the lions being run first teams.

Mr Anderson
03-02-2012, 10:48 AM
To me, the problems with Haynesworth aren't about talent, weight or money.

As much as it would be nice to have his size and ability, we don't want a guy with his personality.

I hate to make the Moss comparison and potentially derail this thread, but it's the best analogy I've got. Moss and Haynesworth are both talented players who have been accused of being lazy. One of which accumulated one of the best careers in NFL history, the other put up a couple of good seasons. What's the difference? It's not that Moss is just more of a great talent than Haynesworth(which he is,) but it's when they show their laziness.

Moss may have taken some plays off now and then, but when was Moss out of shape? You can't have Haynesworth's work ethic on a team that's getting younger. That's infectious.

I'd much rather go after a guy like Jason Jones, Paul Soliai, Sione Pouha, Anthony Adams or Igor Olshansky.

I know Olshansky's not really a nose tackle type, but he's a disruptive player against the run and a good athlete. He doesn't have the build to take on double teams, but he has the length, strength and quickness to beat them sometimes. He's more of a 3 or 5 technique, the 3-4 DE type, so he may be better suited for plays where KWill comes off the field.

2beersTommy
03-02-2012, 03:14 PM
23 Quick Observations From The 2012 NFL Scouting Combine

6. WR Vincent Jackson is not a likely candidate to be tagged, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Vikings take a run at him, although the Vikings certainly won’t be the only team interested. Outside of Jackson, though, I don’t think the Vikings will be major players at the top end of the free agent market.

wonderful :angry:

slavinator
03-02-2012, 04:26 PM
How about Osi? Doesnt sound like the Giants will resign him.

Marrdro
03-03-2012, 01:54 AM
23 Quick Observations From The 2012 NFL Scouting Combine

6. WR Vincent Jackson is not a likely candidate to be tagged, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Vikings take a run at him, although the Vikings certainly won’t be the only team interested. Outside of Jackson, though, I don’t think the Vikings will be major players at the top end of the free agent market.

wonderful :angry:
They could still surprise us on both counts (Vjax and FA activity).

Most of the discussions that make us as "non-participants" are from the same ilk that says we are in a rebuilding mode. I for one don't think we will see the amount of turnover in our roster that those chuckle heads think there will be.

Add a nice vet WR, Vet G, and resign a couple of our 2006 class and then sprinkle in draft choices.

Doesn't sound like a complete revamp to me.

Marrdro
03-03-2012, 01:56 AM
How about Osi? Doesnt sound like the Giants will resign him.
Although he would be a nice add, what 3/5 technique do you get rid of? Rob, JA, K-dubb, Griff? Gotta add a warpig my friend.

Marrdro
03-03-2012, 02:02 AM
I'd much rather go after a guy like Jason Jones, Paul Soliai, Sione Pouha, Anthony Adams or Igor Olshansky.

Jones is a DE.

Soliai is an interesting prospect, young, but not much to go on wrt production. I like the numbers (40ish tackles) that Pouha put up the last 2 years. Not so sure about Adams, but I don't think he has really done much in the league and is abit light isn't he?

Johnson14
03-03-2012, 04:00 AM
Although he would be a nice add, what 3/5 technique do you get rid of? Rob, JA, K-dubb, Griff? Gotta add a warpig my friend.

For the love of GOD will someone just draft Marty a warpig!! ;)

Mr Anderson
03-03-2012, 07:43 AM
Jones is a DE.

Soliai is an interesting prospect, young, but not much to go on wrt production. I like the numbers (40ish tackles) that Pouha put up the last 2 years. Not so sure about Adams, but I don't think he has really done much in the league and is abit light isn't he?
You're right about Jones. The site I was looking at listed him as a DT.

Soliai I've seen play a handful of times, including against us last season. He's huge and active, I like him.

And for Olshanksy, you don't get rid of any of those guys. You play him exclusively at DT. Either to spell Kevin Williams when he needs to or opposite of him on 3rd downs.

Anthony Adams is a bit light at 310, but he's also short at 6'0, so I think it balances out. Mind you Pat Williams was listed as 6'3" 317.
http://beargoggleson.com/files/2010/12/anthony-adams-gut-check.jpg
He's no little princess.

Marrdro
03-06-2012, 08:17 AM
You're right about Jones. The site I was looking at listed him as a DT.

Soliai I've seen play a handful of times, including against us last season. He's huge and active, I like him.

And for Olshanksy, you don't get rid of any of those guys. You play him exclusively at DT. Either to spell Kevin Williams when he needs to or opposite of him on 3rd downs.

Anthony Adams is a bit light at 310, but he's also short at 6'0, so I think it balances out. Mind you Pat Williams was listed as 6'3" 317.
http://beargoggleson.com/files/2010/12/anthony-adams-gut-check.jpg
He's no little princess.
I hear ya about spelling K-dubb, but he have Guion, Ballard and Griff that can do that. In short, we have enough 3/5 techniques. We need a 0/1 technique. Without a cat like that the scheme just doesn't work, I don't care how many DB's we bring in.

Marrdro
03-06-2012, 08:18 AM
For the love of GOD will someone just draft Marty a warpig!! ;)
LOL, coffee, all over the place. :rofl:

thorshammer
03-07-2012, 09:00 PM
I'd like to see Mario Williams in purple and gold with JA ..... would be a hell of a defense.

Purple Floyd
03-07-2012, 09:41 PM
We don't need to and shouldn't be spending a bunch of money on FA. That is the very thing that got us into cap trouble in the last 2 years and got us to a 3-13 record.

What we need to do is draft players, make good decisions and to quit burning draft picks by trading up by bundling picks to get marginal players.

The team needs to get younger and it needs to have it's average contract dollars go down so they can build a more balanced roster.

The team also needs to get faster across the board,especially on defense. They need faster LB's, they certainly need faster DB's and they could use more quickness in the depth on their DL.

The PL needs to be faster and getting rid of Hutch, Herrera and Loadholt would be a good start. Loadholt is just not going to mesh with the rest of the line, especially if they draft Kalil like it appears they are nearly guaranteed to and they need more speed in the WR group. Although catching the ball would also seem to be a desirable trait and I have heard that is possible these days.

SharperImage
03-10-2012, 12:12 AM
we make one huge signing in Carl Nicks. Move Hutch to RG, tell him 2 take a pay cut.

Kalil Nicks Sully Hutch Loadholt

Damn thats a beauty o-Line.

We need Corners. i say sign Brandon Carr, Chris Johnson(Raiders). DT Solai would be an upgrade from Remi Ayodele.

thats it to be honest.. a few more filler FAs and we are actually competing!

12purplepride28
03-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Hutch and Herrera are gone, so ideally we would sign Carl Nicks (Puke at the thought of a saint, but w/e) and Kalil and have a Kalil Nicks Sully Johnson Loadholt O-line.

If we could sign a WR like Garcon and then one of the CBs, I think it will be an extremely successful FA. Even if we just got one of Nicks, Vincent, or Carr/Finnegan it would be a good FA.

MaxVike
03-10-2012, 05:04 PM
I think you may be on to something here, if not Nicks, then Grubbs. That would seem to be a good plan for the OL anyway.

JPPT1974
03-10-2012, 05:28 PM
An OL would be good to take. As also someone like Jones could help out the DEs with the Vikes.

FuadFan
03-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Hutch and Herrera are gone, so ideally we would sign Carl Nicks (Puke at the thought of a saint, but w/e) and Kalil and have a Kalil Nicks Sully Johnson Loadholt O-line.

If we could sign a WR like Garcon and then one of the CBs, I think it will be an extremely successful FA. Even if we just got one of Nicks, Vincent, or Carr/Finnegan it would be a good FA.

A guard is not where I see us spending money as we at least have some guys on the team to fill the spot in Charlie Johnson {as I too believe we draft Kalil} Joe Berger and Brandon Fusco.

Meanwhile at CB we have Winfield better suited for limited nickel duties and the unknown to mediocre guys on our roster to fill the starters role.

At WR we'd currently have Stephen Burton to fill out a three WR set with Harvin and Jenkins.

IMO these need veteran help instead of breaking the bank for Nicks or Grubbs at guard.

singersp
03-11-2012, 01:21 PM
A guard is not where I see us spending money as we at least have some guys on the team to fill the spot in Charlie Johnson {as I too believe we draft Kalil} Joe Berger and Brandon Fusco.

Meanwhile at CB we have Winfield better suited for limited nickel duties and the unknown to mediocre guys on our roster to fill the starters role.

At WR we'd currently have Stephen Burton to fill out a three WR set with Harvin and Jenkins.

IMO these need veteran help instead of breaking the bank for Nicks or Grubbs at guard.

A guard or better yet guards/linemen is exactly what we need in FA.

As it stands today, Berger & DeGeare are the only guards on the roster. That doesn't leave us any depth at the position & starters that are far from being pro bowler candidates.

Fusco is listed as center/guard. Currently he's listed as back up to Sullivan. If he starts at guard, that leaves us no depth at center.

You saw how bad our OL played last year. Out of our OL roster of 2011, where do you rank Hutch & Hererra? Now imagine that same line with those two gone.

Kalil won't solve all our problems. We can't even say how well he'll do at the pro level (See McKinnie), but I'll bet better than McKinnie did.

Now with that said, I definitely see the need to add WR's as well. I'm not talking mediocre players like Jenkins. I believe our WR corp now only consists of just Harvin, Jenkins, Arceneaux & Burton. We need another playmaker.

But at the end of the day, if we don't surround our mediocre QB with a good solid OL, our WRs will see a lot less balls.

Purple Floyd
03-11-2012, 08:46 PM

As it stands today, Berger & DeGeare are the only guards on the roster. That doesn't leave us any depth at the position & starters that are far from being pro bowler candidates.

Fusco is listed as center/guard. Currently he's listed as back up to Sullivan. If he starts at guard, that leaves us no depth at center.

You saw how bad our OL played last year. Out of our OL roster of 2011, where do you rank Hutch & Hererra? Now imagine that same line with those two gone.

Kalil won't solve all our problems. We can't even say how well he'll do at the pro level (See McKinnie), but I'll bet better than McKinnie did.

Now with that said, I definitely see the need to add WR's as well. I'm not talking mediocre players like Jenkins. I believe our WR corp now only consists of just Harvin, Jenkins, Arceneaux & Burton. We need another playmaker.

But at the end of the day, if we don't surround our mediocre QB with a good solid OL, our WRs will see a lot less balls.

Some of that will be fixed with the development of the QB. If Ponder is going to work out he will understand he needs to make quicker decisions and get the ball out faster. Just improving his release time by a half second would make the line look dramatically better on it's own similar to what happened in GB when Rodgers improved and made his line look better in the process.

FuadFan
03-11-2012, 08:48 PM

As I said I'm under the assumption that Matt Kalil will be the choice at 3 at which point Charlie Johnson would not cease to exist. He will enter the competition for the guard jobs with Berger and Fusco.

Also you glossed over the CB portion of my post:

As bad as you believe what we would use at guard is I think our CB situation is much worse as Cook is not a guarantee to be back, Burton is very unknown, and Asher Allen is a nickel or dime inside CB IMO.

Purple Floyd
03-11-2012, 08:52 PM
As I said I'm under the assumption that Matt Kalil will be the choice at 3 at which point Charlie Johnson would not cease to exist. He will enter the competition for the guard jobs with Berger and Fusco.

As bad as you believe what we would use at guard is I think our CB situation is much worse as Cook is not a guarantee to be back, Burton is very unknown, and Asher Allen is a nickel or dime inside CB IMO.
Agreed. Drafting Claiborne is the best thing the team could do at the 3 spot.

FuadFan
03-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Agreed. Drafting Claiborne is the best thing the team could do at the 3 spot.

I am of the mind that Kalil is BPA in what we have to choose my hope is would be along the line of adding Brandon Carr or Cortland Finnegan in FA and adding a solid potential guy in round 2 or 3.

Purple Floyd
03-11-2012, 09:14 PM
If it were truely BPA then I would say DeCastro would be the pick. As good as Kalil might be, DeCastro is even better.I would also put Richardson in the mix.

singersp
03-12-2012, 06:32 AM

I'm not sure Johnson would even be good at G, but they may keep him around as back up to LT or a G spot.

Thing is, if you want to improve your line you have to make changes to get better players in there as well

Bottom line, If we don't replace Hutch & Hererra with people who are as good or better than they were, then we haven't done anything to improve those two positions.

I didn't gloss over your POV regarding the CBs. I just addressed the offensive side of your post.

I agree with you on CBs. We need to address those in FA as well. I don't believe our immediate need there will be found in the draft. I think that has to be done in FA to get the experienced playmaker(s) we need.

We have way to many holes to fill now. What I don't want to see happen is the same old approach to FA where the Vikings sit on there hands for the first few days while the cream of the crop get taken & then pick & choose from the mediocre players that are left over. They need to be aggressive right from the get go.

singersp
03-12-2012, 06:44 AM
Some of that will be fixed with the development of the QB. If Ponder is going to work out he will understand he needs to make quicker decisions and get the ball out faster. Just improving his release time by a half second would make the line look dramatically better on it's own similar to what happened in GB when Rodgers improved and made his line look better in the process.

The line would look better if his release time was faster, but they definitely have to allow him more time as well. That's not going to improve with the players we have.

While there are times when Rodgers does make the OL look good, a lot of their success was due to improvement of that OL. At first that OL simply collapsed following the snap, giving Rodgers no time to throw. Now there are a lot of times he has all day to throw.

Randy Moss
03-13-2012, 10:46 AM
There are quite a few good free agents this year. I think we should solidify our OL by picking up a guard FA and drafting Kalil. Then get a WR in the second round or in FA.

Don't give Ponder any excuses. Let's put the pieces in place to give him an opportunity to be successful, and if he isn't the guy, let's move on as quickly as possible. Otherwise we're going to end up right where we were with the 4+ year T-Jack experiment, a good team that can't go the distance because they lack a good QB, with our window closing on us before we can solidify that position.

In today's NFL you have to have a good QB. Let's make sure we have one and then build from there.

NodakPaul
03-13-2012, 11:39 AM
There are quite a few good free agents this year. I think we should solidify our OL by picking up a guard FA and drafting Kalil. Then get a WR in the second round or in FA.

Don't give Ponder any excuses. Let's put the pieces in place to give him an opportunity to be successful, and if he isn't the guy, let's move on as quickly as possible. Otherwise we're going to end up right where we were with the 4+ year T-Jack experiment, a good team that can't go the distance because they lack a good QB, with our window closing on us before we can solidify that position.

In today's NFL you have to have a good QB. Let's make sure we have one and then build from there.

This.

skum
03-13-2012, 12:07 PM
We need to go after Carl Nicks.

Viking_Cheef
03-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Thoughts on going after OL Levi Brown. I think he was just released last week by the Cardinals. Former first rounder might come at a cheap enough price.

FuadFan
03-13-2012, 03:30 PM
It seems Brandon Car is not our target at Corner

Vikings aren't in line for CB Brandon Carr - TwinCities.com (http://t.co/ANcFgYZQ)

AngloVike
03-13-2012, 03:33 PM

Vikings aren't in line for CB Brandon Carr - TwinCities.com (http://t.co/ANcFgYZQ)

Given that the Bears upgraded at WR with Brandon Marshall then I'd like to have seen us at least consider going after him.

midgensa
03-13-2012, 04:42 PM

That is depressing. With the cap number we have we could easily go get a corner AND a receiver ... so it is frustrating to see us not making any noise.

Not surprising ... but very frustrating.

12purplepride28
03-13-2012, 04:48 PM
I never expect the Vikings to do anything positive, so no big deal that we will sign Mickey Shuler and call it an offseason.

SharperImage
03-14-2012, 09:37 PM
i think we will sign a few guys from the secondary in indy, draft an ol in the mid rounds and sign a few obscure fa wr's with about 50 combined career receptions that we will "groom"

wow nice call buddy!!

skum
03-14-2012, 11:51 PM
Id like to se us go after these guys.

CB Aaron Ross
OT Levi Brown
OT Anthony Collins
WR Mario Manningham
OC Samson Satele
DB Jim Leonard
OG Chilo Rachal
FB Jacob Hester
WR Ted Ginn
WR Early Doucet

From the PFT Hot 100
The Free Agent Hot 100 | ProFootballTalk (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/13/the-free-agent-hot-100/)