PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Crystal Ball

battleaxe4cheese
01-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Hey fellas, just wondering what your thoughts are on the upcoming season.

My predictions:

I'll start out by saying I'm not a fan of rewarding Spielman with the GM or sort of GM position...I fear this will prove to be a mistake.

I am also not a fan of our new D coordinator choice, but in his defense he is a rookie D coordinator on a team with a very uncertain future. I wish him well and hope he succeeds, but he has an uphill battle to say the least. I would of liked to have seen a proven coordinator take the reigns, but that is most likely a non reality driven idea. What coordinator would want to come to this team for potentially a one year deal and leave again after next year....?

Musgrave has been just creative enough for me to think there is hope in that department. He did some good things this year, especially with finding creative ways to use Percy. He also did some really stupid things this year (blazer/ fake option to Ponder??????) Ya, let's not talk about those plays....

I think Ponder will improve next season and will become a better manager, but not to the degree that would solidify him as the guy. I think our O line might be improved with Kalil if that's who we take, but we still have problems and don't think they get much better next year, except maybe on the left side...if Kalil is taken. I think Ponder will have a full second to throw next year instead of the .4 seconds he was afforded this season. Because of the O line, I don't see a huge improvement in our offense. Also, with the unknown effects of the injury to AP, we may be just an average running team for a while, which doesn't bode well for us as our receiving corps is horrible.

I think our D will improve next year also but again not to a huge degree. We have so many holes to fill and a lack of play makers that one year is not going to turn this thing around drastically. Also, with the uncertainty with Cook, he very well might be gone, and he's the best we have in the secondary. Barring a huge Herschel Walker type trade, we are still going to have some significant holes going into next season. I think Winny should be moved to safety and try and get another corner in FA.

I haven't seen a solid schedule for next year, but i don't see us winning more than 7 games next season...I hope I am wrong. That being said, I'm not sure that will be enough to save Frazier's job and this whole thing might come apart again at the end of next season (good or bad).

I hope I haven't come off as too pessimistic, but that's just how I think it will play out...and I hope I am very wrong. Regardless I will watch every game and not lose hope that they will win it all at some point.

What say you fellas?

Purple Floyd
01-21-2012, 07:40 PM
3-13

TheAnimal93
01-22-2012, 10:48 AM
I predict that Ponder will throw for some td's, he will throw some picks, whomever is running the ball will gain yards. The defense will make some plays, give up some plays and surprise most by being better than expected. They will also not make plays and leave us wondering if theyve learned a damn thing.
The team will win some games and lose some games that were expected. They even will win some games that will not be expected. The coaches will surprise us in a good and in bad ways. This season will have ups and downs, highs and lows, thrilling wins and agonizing defeats. We as fans will rejoice, agonize, cheer, and boo. What else do you expect? 6 or 7 wins, good draft. great draft, maybe 8 or 9.

kevoncox
01-22-2012, 02:28 PM
I think we will be competative. I expect the WIlfs to be really active in Free agency. Expect two Dbs to be brought in, 1 being a top FA like Finn or Grimes. We maybe an 8 win team again.

Purple Floyd
01-22-2012, 09:02 PM
I think we will be competative. I expect the WIlfs to be really active in Free agency. Expect two Dbs to be brought in, 1 being a top FA like Finn or Grimes. We maybe an 8 win team again.

That would be nice.

Dibbzz
01-22-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm hopeful that the Wilfs will realize that much help is greatly needed on both sides of the ball to be competetive in '12. If we're able to nab a top offensive line prospect and some secondary help and a good draft we could maybe snare up 10 wins. That is the best case scenario. More than likely we have a repeat of this seasons performance and Frasier is out as head coach. The only real positive going into next season is the fact that teams can turn things around in just one year's time. If we can nab a Matt Khalil to protect Ponder's backside and pick up a few decent secondary prospects and maybe another solid wideout like a Dwayne Bowe than who knows maybe we can make something happen next year...

Purple Floyd
01-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Unless there are some big injuries to other teams in the division next year there is no way we sniff 10 wins.

MindCrimes67
01-22-2012, 10:39 PM
We were in alot of games this year. We should have had a few more wins. If we can have a good draft, get a FA or 2. I just wanna see some improvement. But we need to get 2 good OL to even think about 8 or 9 wins..

MossMems
01-22-2012, 11:45 PM
I expect nothing from this team. I didnt last year either, and ofc they did nothing. We have idiot owners, who surround themselves by idiots. Fraizer is a proven loser with no upside, Spielman has been slowly ruining this team for years, and is promoted. And you expect them to have a good draft and FA? Really? Based upon what? This was the year for the Wilfs to get serious and clean house and bring in some new blood. they didnt, so we waste another year. We win 3 games tops.

b_sandhar_29
01-23-2012, 03:47 AM
I can't wait to look at these posts at the end of next year and see everyone's faces. 7-8 wins (guaranteed).

Think about how many games we lost by less than 7 points.... 9 games. All of these games came down to a very few critical plays (I feel like I say this a lot), and I think that if we play sound fundamental football, we will surprise a lot of people next year.

singersp
01-23-2012, 05:23 AM

It would be nice, but if they do I believe you will see them bring in average/mediocre players & not two big name stars, unless something is done to free up cap room.

Much like last year, I expect them to try & plug holes with no name players from other teams practice squads & castaways.

shockzilla
01-23-2012, 07:45 AM
I can't wait to look at these posts at the end of next year and see everyone's faces. 7-8 wins (guaranteed).

Think about how many games we lost by less than 7 points.... 9 games. All of these games came down to a very few critical plays (I feel like I say this a lot), and I think that if we play sound fundamental football, we will surprise a lot of people next year.

That's what most people either forget or choose to ignore. We were a better team than our record indicated. Hard to say this early how good or bad we will be, but there is reason for optimism. If we have a decent draft, nab a few free agents, who knows how good we could be.

If I had to pick a number, I would say 9 wins tops. And there is NO WAY we go 3-13 again.

MaxVike
01-23-2012, 09:21 AM
That's what most people either forget or choose to ignore. We were a better team than our record indicated. Hard to say this early how good or bad we will be, but there is reason for optimism. If we have a decent draft, nab a few free agents, who knows how good we could be.

If I had to pick a number, I would say 9 wins tops. And there is NO WAY Vikes go 3-13 again.

I agree Shock... a few observations to support the "NO WAY we go 3-13 again":
1) The McNabb experiment failed, clearly one of the biggest miscalculations in 2011 (wish they would've called me!). He's gone.
2) McKinnie showing up at near 400lbs, then cutting him...gotta think even overweight, he was a better option than we had. Still, I can understand Frazier's POV on this one. Vikes need to address LT, desperately...I'm confident it will be done.
3) Cook strangling his girlfriend and being suspended. Can't foresee this one...I'm sure he sold the Brass a bill of goods; they bought it. Secondary is a serious issue too...jury is out.
4) Virtually every marginally decent DB went down with injury. Whatever they do, odds are on our side this won't happen again.
5) A coaching staff with no off season, clearly could not make adjustment in the second half of games early. With several leads in games, the Vikes saw their opponents make adjustments at halftime, which, we didn't adjust to real-time. BTW, did I mention McNabb sucks? Call it failure to execute by the players, failure to adjust real-time by the coaches, or a combination thereof, good teams don't make these mistakes...consistently, over a course of several games. I expect this to improve dramatically.
6) A rookie QB. Yes, Dalton and Newton succeeded, even Yates, to a certain point. Newton is clearly better than the rest, Dalton and Yates have much better supporting casts. No excuse, I hear ya...but, I expect improvement from Ponder too.
7) Adrian Peterson ACL...he is a driven man, I have faith that he will be back early.
8) WR position...seriously, how much worse can it possibly get?
9) I believe Kyle Rudolph will emerge bigtime. He and Percy in the middle of the field is going to be fun to watch develop.
10) 10 Draft picks to work with...given our position, and the volume of picks, I think a handful of us could succeed running the draft for the Vikes. So, ridiculous as it may sound, I have faith that professionals getting paid to do it will succeed.

Purple Floyd
01-23-2012, 11:11 AM
I want them to win and dominate as much as anyone but there is no way we sniff 8 wins unless there are some serious QB injuries in our division.

The Pack,Lions and Bears all have more talent than we will have and the top end in the division is probably 2-6 which is a two game bump from this year. That would mean we need to go 7-1 out of the division to get to nine.
Realistically we are looking at a top end of 6-10 if we get a favorable draw out of the division.

bleedpurple
01-23-2012, 11:36 AM
I want them to win and dominate as much as anyone but there is no way we sniff 8 wins unless there are some serious QB injuries in our division.

The Pack,Lions and Bears all have more talent than we will have and the top end in the division is probably 2-6 which is a two game bump from this year. That would mean we need to go 7-1 out of the division to get to nine.
Realistically we are looking at a top end of 6-10 if we get a favorable draw out of the division.

I agree... 5-7 wins for us next year. On a side note... Anyone notice when we featured Harvin how much better our offense looked?... I hope the coaching staff realizes that Harvins versatility is an asset and feature him more by using him all over the field. YES, even in the backfield... with Peterson playing. It seems when Peterson is in the game we're too predictable. When he's out its almost as if we are more creative thus more effective..

But that's just my observation. hopefully with improved talent and a focus on harvin we'll be better on offense. Defensively I think we're looking at a rebuilding effort for the next two years or so...

jargomcfargo
01-23-2012, 11:45 AM

I agree with this.
I don't think the Vikings are a better team than their record indicates. However I do agree the margin between winning and losing and talent between teams isn't huge.

One simple improvement will set the team on the path toward success.
Finding an O-line, backs who can pick up the blitz, and an offensive scheme that can protect Ponder should lead to a more consistant offense as well as giving the defense more rest and the opportunity to play with a lead and be more aggressive instead of defensive.

What separated Dalton from Ponder was, Dalton had a very good O-line with time to throw.
Ponder got beat up and regressed a little toward the end of the season.

All I realisticly hope for is steady improvement and positive indications of a robust future by the end of next season. 6-8 wins with momentum toward the end of the season would be positive at this point.

Also, give us a new stadium and I think we could attract better coaches as well.

10 wins seems like a pipe dream.
Who are the ten teams we are going to beat?

bleedpurple
01-23-2012, 11:52 AM
I agree with this.
I don't think the Vikings are a better team than their record indicates. However I do agree the margin between winning and losing and talent between teams isn't huge.

One simple improvement will set the team on the path toward success.
Finding an O-line, backs who can pick up the blitz, and an offensive scheme that can protect Ponder should lead to a more consistant offense as well as giving the defense more rest and the opportunity to play with a lead and be more aggressive instead of defensive.

What separated Dalton from Ponder was, Dalton had a very good O-line with time to throw.
Ponder got beat up and regressed a little toward the end of the season.

All I realisticly hope for is steady improvement and positive indications of a robust future by the end of next season. 6-8 wins with momentum toward the end of the season would be positive at this point.

Also, give us a new stadium and I think we could attract better coaches as well.

10 wins seems like a pipe dream.
Who are the ten teams we are going to beat?

Unless we get Peyton, I don't see 10 wins on the horizon anytime soon!

mad-dog_six-eight
01-23-2012, 12:38 PM

thats the problem. w/o a couple good O-Lineman they can not even think about playing sound fundamental football. Fundamental football is having a smashmouth running game (O-Line NEEDED) and a solid defense. We have AD, if he comes back to his true form, but the defense is just embarrassing.

If, for some reason they addressed the gigantic needs in the OLine, Defense (mainly the backfield) and WR, the vikes might have a fighting chance to beat out the bears for third in the North with a bright future.

midgensa
01-23-2012, 02:37 PM
I don't feel like we are as bad a team as many around here do.

We definitely had an awful season, but we are still not in that terrible of shape.

My worry on offense is mostly Ponder, I still do not have faith that he make all the "big boy" throws you need from quarterbacks today. His arm strength is just too damn iffy for me. I do think he has solid pocket presence and is smart though and can maybe be a pretty good quarterback, but I am definitely not sold yet.

We obvioulsy need to address the offensive line and maybe add a playmaker, but with the plethora of picks we should be able to at least do one of these if not both.

On defense, I am not as concerned with talent as I am with scheme and players knowing where they are supposed to be. I honestly do not know if any secondary in the history of the game was out of position or as confused as ours was on a regular basis. Our corners constantly release guys when they think they have help and there is nobody there. Our safeties often seem to not know what zone they are supposed to be in or if they are supposed to pick up a release. And when our LBs drop into coverage they often share a zone with someone and that clearly is not supposed to be happening.

Hopefully Williams' experience in the C2 can help teach these players where they are supposed to be. Hopefully, with the draft and FA we can add some talent in the secondary and depth/talent at LB and DE and we could be a VASTLY improved defense.

All that said ... I think the Packers are WAY out of our league right now and the Lions could be moving that way.

I call us 8-8 at best, but that would be very nice in my opinion.

MossMems
01-23-2012, 03:35 PM
LOL I bet half the people thinking we are winning more then 6 games next season were saying the same thing last year. What do you think has changed? We have the same idiot as HC. A new DC, so we have to give him at least a year to get his feet wet right (the excusses will start soon). And a GM that got promoted for being a main sorce of the problem. We havent cleaned house like you are supposed to. We still have limp armed BoyWonder throwing the ball. Unless ofc we draft RG3 which I doubt since Ponder is Spielmans hand picked boy.

bleedpurple
01-23-2012, 03:50 PM
LOL I bet half the people thinking we are winning more then 6 games next season were saying the same thing last year. What do you think has changed? We have the same idiot as HC. A new DC, so we have to give him at least a year to get his feet wet right (the excusses will start soon). And a GM that got promoted for being a main sorce of the problem. We havent cleaned house like you are supposed to. We still have limp armed BoyWonder throwing the ball. Unless ofc we draft RG3 which I doubt since Ponder is Spielmans hand picked boy.

I agree.. not to mention if Frazier gets fired this year... Spielman will argue that he didn't have "HIS" Coach and will argue to hire a coach not named leslie... Regardless of how long we have Leslie here, we're looking at atleast a few more years of Spielman...

All these excuses about NO OFFSEASON... that didn't keep the Bengals Dalton from Balling, or Carolina who had a new QB AND Coaching staff... or the TITANS who had the same.... Seems the only team the short offseason hurt was the Vikes and Rams...

I thought the whole reason for hiring Frazier was for stability and continuity... so much for that!!

NDVikingFan66
01-23-2012, 05:05 PM
We were close in games, but close does not count. It does however allow for optimism. We don't get to play those same teams again, but with some adjustments I think we are a better team. I suspect we will struggle to get to 8-8. I am thinking somewhere around 6-7 wins, which is improvement.

If you look at what we had, it almost has to get better. Our secondary was horrible, and we got no big plays from our linebackers. Hopefully someone can take a look and figure out how to adjust that.

Our receivers were only slightly better than our secondary at tht end of the year. I liked Aromashadu. But again, marginal at best. Everyone will tell you that though Percy is a talent, he is not that #1 receiver teams really have to have.

And our offensive line (truly offensive). I thought this unit would play a bit better, but I was wrong. It needs retooling and rebuilding. Hutch has lost his edge (injured, I know), and Charlie Johnson? I wish we had McKinnie.

On top of everything else, we just don't have great depth. We have some outstanding and decent players on our team, but no one to give them a break or pick up the slack.

So, I expect us to go after someone in the defensive secondary and a receiver or o-line in free agency. We will also go after those same positions in the draft, and I think our first pick will be on the offensive line.

midgensa
01-23-2012, 05:41 PM

Typical. Obnoxious. Troll.

Purple Floyd
01-23-2012, 07:03 PM
I don't feel like we are as bad a team as many around here do.

That is what I like about you. We need more optimism around here and i am just too damn jaded at this point to pull it off so it's up to you buddy. lol

We definitely had an awful season, but we are still not in that terrible of shape.

I always say that it isn't necessarily always about where we are but also what the rest of the division looks like and with the emergence of Detroit as well as how strong the Packers are and the bears also being solid we have to be a very dominant team to even contend for a division title. Those 6 games we play in the division set the tone for what our record is going to be and when you are 0-6 in the division that doesn't leave much room in the rest of the schedule to get to a winning record.

GB looks to be as strong next year as they were this year, Detroit looks to be as good as or better and while the Bears are a wild card unless they lose Cutler again to injury it is going to be a tall order to think we will somehow sweep them considering they have pretty much owned us lately.

My worry on offense is mostly Ponder, I still do not have faith that he make all the "big boy" throws you need from quarterbacks today. His arm strength is just too damn iffy for me. I do think he has solid pocket presence and is smart though and can maybe be a pretty good quarterback, but I am definitely not sold yet.

We obvioulsy need to address the offensive line and maybe add a playmaker, but with the plethora of picks we should be able to at least do one of these if not both.

So, if the QB and OL are suspect, we have a marginal WR group and our RB franchise player just blew his knee out how are we going to compete in the division against the strong offenses we are going to face?

On defense, I am not as concerned with talent as I am with scheme and players knowing where they are supposed to be. I honestly do not know if any secondary in the history of the game was out of position or as confused as ours was on a regular basis. Our corners constantly release guys when they think they have help and there is nobody there. Our safeties often seem to not know what zone they are supposed to be in or if they are supposed to pick up a release. And when our LBs drop into coverage they often share a zone with someone and that clearly is not supposed to be happening.

So if we have the same DB coach, the old LB coach and still run the Subdue 2 defense where is this coaching going to come from? The guy who had potentially a worse secondary than ours?

Hopefully Williams' experience in the C2 can help teach these players where they are supposed to be. Hopefully, with the draft and FA we can add some talent in the secondary and depth/talent at LB and DE and we could be a VASTLY improved defense.

It is still the Subdue 2 defense. Cutler,Rodgers and Stafford are going to carve it up all year long up and down the field. Couple the Subdue 2's propensity for making QB's jobs almost effortless with our offenses decision to be a run first team makes it hard to understand how we are going to compete.

All that said ... I think the Packers are WAY out of our league right now and the Lions could be moving that way.

That is what makes improving a hard thing to do. We are so unorganized in the FO and coaching staff and so depleted on the roster there is no way we are going to be competitive even in the division, let alone the league.

I call us 8-8 at best, but that would be very nice in my opinion.

Yes it would. Thank you for the glimmer of optimism.

MossMems
01-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Typical. Obnoxious. Troll.
Typical. PurpleShades. Dreamer.

TheAnimal93
01-23-2012, 11:37 PM
What is wrong with ANYONE making positive predictions about their team? Nothing. If you think that the team will win only 3 games and another thinks that they will win 9, who are you to tell them that they are wrong? Its only an observation served up with optimism. I happen to think it is better than being negative and jaded. Be diplomatic, we all root for the same team.

Mr Anderson
01-24-2012, 12:58 AM
I think the Lions are more out of our league in 2012 than the Packers are.

That team is only getting better. Green Bay is getting worse in every aspect outside of their offensive line and QB.

We're screwed with our current coaching staff. I swear Frazier is the test tube baby of Childress and Tony Dungy.

We just hired a defensive coordinator from the worst group of the worst team in the NFL. A team who runs our same stale system. Why? Because like Chilly, Frazier knew him. And like Dungy, he's a Tampa 2 guy... remind me, who else runs this defense anymore? Is there a QB on a competitive team that can't tear it apart?

We needed a fresh set of eyes to evaluate and renovate our defense. Someone who realizes our strength lies in man coverage. We have two long, rangy corners in Griffin and Cook and the perfect slot corner(age excluded) in Winfield. Griffin and Cook can deal with bigger receivers physically, something most corners cannot do. Just look at Calvin Johnson's production against us in the past two years. He's had one good game in four meetings. We need to being playing man underneath, no questions asked.

Go out and get two safeties capable of playing deep halves, and I'll think about being OK with them doing so. Right now, we do not have the personnel to do that. Not even close.

We run a stale defense with players incapable of executing it. It's not even stale, it's moldy.

No matter what upgrade we make to the offense in the draft, whether it's Kalil or Blackmon, it won't be able to make up the difference in our lack of D. If we go out and take one of the receivers from this deep free agent class on top of our draft picks, it still won't help enough. Tim Tebow dropped 35 on us. If your secondary can let that pathetic excuse for a QB throw on you, you're fucked. Flat out fucked.

There was a decent, at best, star trib article yesterday "Apologizing to Frazier" for saying earlier in the year that "his philosophies were a thing of the past." It said that because the Giants, 49ers and Ravens were still in the super bowl picture, he's right... Offensively, I guess I can't really disagree(but the better passing teams of the two went on to the big dance) since 3 of the 4 were run-first teams.

But defensively, he couldn't be more wrong. None of those 4 teams play a zone-based scheme. They're all man to man attacking defenses. Why? Because you have to be. All you can do to stop the best QBs and best wide receivers in the NFL is disrupt their timing, get under their skin. Hit them in the mouth.

Until our club realizes that, we're going to suffer.

We may have lost a huge chunk of games by less than a score, but that doesn't matter until we make the right changes. So far this offseason, we haven't. And the safeties available aren't good enough to get us over that one score hump.

2012? If we make all the right personnel moves in the offseason(o-line, wide receiver, DT, SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY) we'll win 7 games. If Alan Williams is flexible and intelligent enough to realize that we're more suited for a defense from this decade than last, we could win more. If Ponder is able to stay healthy and given the targets and protection he needs to get into a rhythm, we could win even more than that.

It's a tough road ahead in the NFC. The Eagles are poised to make a real run, the Saints are clearly good, the 49ers scare the shit out of me(and should be in the super bowl), the Giants are young and talented, the Packers can still do it and the Cowboys aren't far off either.

As Vikings fans I think we have to assume a few things: Adrian Peterson's career is effectively over. Ponder will crash and burn. We'll lose Harvin when his contract expires in a couple of years. We'll be stuck with a lame-duck of a coach for the next 4 seasons. We'll waste the rest of Jared Allen and Kevin Williams time left. We'll continue to not win Super Bowls for the rest of our lives... I think that realization caused me to stop posting here for a few months. I had an exceptionally good night tonight and decided to log on for a few minutes, which reminded me of how shitty it really is to be a Vikings fan. And we have no reason to think otherwise.

I suppose we can take solace in knowing we're the best at one thing. Dealing with disappointment. Look at these San Francisco and Baltimore fans. They just can't wrap their heads around what we've experienced more times than we can count.

There has literally been no season in my lifetime(or yours) that has ended in a positive way. Every potential Super Bowl year has ended in unbelievable heartbreak. The best years, at least the least traumatic have been forgettably bad to mediocre, and I have no reason to assume next year will be any different.

I think we miss the playoffs next year, we'll go 6-10.

C Mac D
01-24-2012, 01:09 AM
*snip

Holy sh*t. Great post, I enjoyed reading something so brutally honest.

Eh, it's the NFL though. Things can change at any point in any season... I mean, who knew the 49ers would be in the NFCC this year? I realize Frazier doesn't really exude half the confidence that Jim Harbaugh does, but weirder things have happened.

That's about all I have to go on now. Blind faith.

tastywaves
01-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Echo....
SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY

Of all our deficiencies, this is clearly our largest. It is has been under appreciated by our coaching staff for far too long. Once Tyrell failed, it seems they gave up on trying to address this position with a real athlete.

Mr Anderson
01-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Holy sh*t. Great post, I enjoyed reading something so brutally honest.

Eh, it's the NFL though. Things can change at any point in any season... I mean, who knew the 49ers would be in the NFCC this year? I realize Frazier doesn't really exude half the confidence that Jim Harbaugh does, but weirder things have happened.

That's about all I have to go on now. Blind faith.
Thanks. When did they let you back on here?

And I don't operate on faith.

midgensa
01-24-2012, 10:22 PM

We do not play 8 games in the division ... only 6. But I agree ... best scenario is 2-4 in the division.

I think that the rest of our schedule has some winnable games. At home we have Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Tennesse and Arizona. All of those are winnable ... though, obviously, I don't think we will win all of those.

On the road ... damn near nothing is winnable because we suck on the road. But we always win in Washington and the games in Indy and St. Louis are in Domes against subpar competition. So there are at least a few more winnable games.

I personally think that we end up 6-10, with 8-8 being the best case scenario. But it would not be shocking to see the Vikes win @Wash, @Indy, @St.L, v. Chi, v. Ariz, v. T.B., v. Jax and v. Tenn. to get to 8 wins. I don't *think* we win all three of those road games mentioned or all five of those home games mentioned. But, it would not be a total shock to win those game.

Traveling_Vike
01-31-2012, 04:28 PM
I do expect some improvement in record in 2012, simply from the scales balancing out somewhat. I'll say 6 wins +/- 2. But this will not be a disappointment to me. 2012 is not going to be a winning year regardless of what we do. One year's worth of drafts and Free Agency can't correct all of the problems we need to address, and our division is still the toughest in the league.

I view 2012 as a transitional year, and I hope that management is realistic and will work with eyes toward the future, instead of trying to win right now. We can't do enough to become a contender yet, but what we can do is position ourselves for a real run in 2013-14.

With no high hopes, there can't be much in the way of disappointment for me, either. I'll simply be watching for signs that we're moving in the right direction in terms of pride and discipline, things which were sorely lacking in 2011 (with a very few exceptions such as Harvin and Allen).

One of those guys with pride is Peterson. If anyone can come back from his injury in time to make a real contribution next season, it's him. He may not be all of what he used to be, at least not right away, but even an AD at 75% is better than most of the rest of the league at 100%.

All in all, I think that improvement is needed first and foremost in attitude. If we see that, and work to address our most glaring needs in personnel, then we should be poised to make a dramatic move starting the following year.

jmcdon00
01-31-2012, 06:29 PM
I think we finally become a pass first team in 2012. Ponder will have a very good year, as will Harvin, Gerhart and especially Rudolph(pro-bowl).
Ponder will cement himself as our QB of the future.
Peterson will have a disappointing season.
Kalil will improve the offensive line immediately, and our 2nd round pick will likely be a big outside receiver who will contribute modestly his rookie year.
The defense will continue to struggle, and not improve even with a couple big free agent signing. Allen will get more double teams and see his sack total fall.
In the end the division proves too tough and we finish 5-11.

The Vikings finally get there stadium, in Arden Hills. The deal is struck when Wilf agrees to kick in an extra 100million for the worlds largest HD TV to be hung from the ceiling Jerry Jones style.

Reignman
02-16-2012, 09:53 PM
I have to agree with MossMems here, what the hell have some of you seen that makes you think we can even come close to .500? That's not optimism, that's delusional.

3-5 wins = realistic
6-7 wins = optimistic
8+ wins = delusional

We just went 3-13 and didn't change 1 damn thing other than promoting all the inexperienced clowns that brought us to 3-13. This franchise is a mess from top to bottom. We'll be without AP, we still have a huge question at QB, Frazier is still our HC, and have you seen the other 3 teams in our division?

Statistically we just had 1 of the worst pass defenses in NFL history, including a 9 game (NFL record) stretch where we had no interceptions and opposing QB's had a combined 132.1 rating (196-267, 2409 yds, 25 td, and 0 int). Did we change the scheme? No! Instead we hire the DB coach from Indy. Yeah the Indy team that just went 2-14, had the 2nd worst opposing QB rating in the league, and tied us for the fewest int's with 8. Most teams pillage playoff teams, we pillage the bottom feeders, go with unprovens, and wonder why we fail every year. The Giants just showed us in the playoffs the blueprint on how to slow down pass happy offenses, but we're more than content about sticking with this record inept painfully passive "bend n break, let em catch it, try to tackle, and get no turnovers" philosophy.

And sure, we lost a few close games, but it's not like we dominated in our 3 wins. After Arizona spotted us 28 points with their turnover happy 1st quarter they outscored us 10-6 in the final 3 quarters. If Carolina doesn't miss a chip shot FG we more than likely lose that game in OT. Our only impressive win was at Washington and we only won by 7. Although we tried our darndest to blow a 14 point lead with 1:30 to go in that one too. So yeah if a few more things have gone our way we could have won 6 games, but we were that close to going 0-16 too.

Mr Anderson just posted one of the most realistic posts I've ever read on this forum. How can you be a Vikings fan and not be jaded? What have the Vikings ever done to make you even the slightest bit optimistic? How can you be that optimistic about this team and not be painfully disappointed year after year? Especially this off season. I've been watching the Vikings since 1984 and I've never had lower expectations for them going into a season than I do for 2012.

At this point all I care about is improving and being competitive but I see no evidence that we'll be either in 2012. I'll hold off on the optimism until after free agency, the draft, and this stadium issue are all over because given our history, I have absolutely no confidence and no reason to believe this team won't find a way to screw all those up too.