PDA

View Full Version : Vikings to hire Alan Williams for Defensive Coordinator

MulletMullitia
01-18-2012, 03:45 PM
@JasonLaCanfora
Vikings expected to offer D Coordinator position to Colts DB coach Alan Williams #insideslant

Scout.com: Report: Vikings have found their coordinator (http://min.scout.com/2/1149906.html)

The Minnesota Vikings have reportedly found their next defensive coordinator, someone well-versed in coach Leslie Frazier's preferred Cover-2 system.

Indianapolis Colts defensive backs coach Alan Williams is expected to be offered the coordinator position in Minnesota, according to NFL Network's Jason La Canfora and the St. Paul Pioneer Press. La Canfora had previously reported that Williams was likely interviewing with the team on Tuesday.

Don't shoot the messenger!

skum
01-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Hopefully he can work in the DB's and get some better communication back there so we wont see all these blown coverages all the time which was what killed us on defence this year.. The D-Line can hold its own and i really still hope Pagac is back as LB's coach.

MulletMullitia
01-18-2012, 04:03 PM
I really wonder what this means for Singletary. He might just stay on as the assistant coach, without working a certain position. Alan Williams has worked under an awesome coach pedigree. But he never had any talent in Indianapolis. Which is the same problem we have in Minnesota. Hopefully we draft Morris Claiborne and Williams can develop him into the next Revis-type cover corner.

MulletMullitia
01-18-2012, 04:14 PM
UPDATE from Judd Zulgad:

Vikings to offer DC job to Alan Williams; Fred Pagac likely to remain | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Report_Vikings_to_offer_defensive_coordinator_job_to_Alan_Williams011812)

Meanwhile, sources said Vikings assistant head coach/linebackers coach Mike Singletary, who interviewed for the defensive coordinator's position, will have his role as a special assistant to coach Leslie Frazier increased and share the duties of coaching the linebackers.

It appears Fred Pagac will return to handling that position group as well. Pagac was the Vikings linebackers coach from 2006 to 2010 and then spent this past season as the team's defensive coordinator.

NodakPaul
01-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Minnesota had the 21st ranked defense last year. Indy had the 25th ranked defense last year. sigh.

jmcdon00
01-18-2012, 04:48 PM
I like the hire of Alan Williams, even though I've never heard of him before today.
He knows the system, and is from the Dungy coaching tree. Plus the colts usually have a pretty good pass defense(08 they allowed an NFL record 6 pass TDs).
Of course it wont make much differences if the front offices can't upgrade the players.

midgensa
01-18-2012, 04:52 PM
I personally have no problem hiring "unknown" coaches. They are ALL unknown at some point. I think this hire is decent. I actually think we will be better off ... I hope the communication issues can get fixed in the secondary (as someone else said here).

I think our lack of communication and being in the correct spot is as much to blame as "talent," so hopefully Williams can come in and coach em' up.

idahovikefan7
01-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Minnesota had the 21st ranked defense last year. Indy had the 25th ranked defense last year. sigh.

THIS

The only reason he was hired is because he's a friend of Frazier. I see this team being a disaster for years to come. They fire dunbar, the only positive the team had going on, and hire friends of friends.

Reignman
01-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Who?

Purple Floyd
01-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Brilliant.

They fire the one guy who had a decently performing unit, demote the one coach who showed any sign of being aggressive and hired a DC who was a DB coach one one of two teams worse than hours.

This really sucks unless you revel in failure.

MulletMullitia
01-19-2012, 12:02 PM
It's finally official. It's also announced that our new Defensive Line coach will be Brendan Daly. Former assistant DL coach here, and DL coach in STL.

@TomPelissero
Alan Williams has accepted the #Vikings DC position and Brendan Daly the DL coaching job, per the team's Web site.

@TomPelissero
Frazier: "Alan and Brendan have both proved themselves as quality coaches in our League. I had the chance to work directly with both men and cant say enough about their character, work ethic and ability to connect with players and push them to be their best.

MulletMullitia
01-19-2012, 12:26 PM
@TomPelissero
I'm told no further changes to #Vikings coaching staff are planned. That means Joe Woods stays as well as Pagac, Singletary. Conf call soon.

AngloVike
01-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Well whether liked or not its official so consider some positives from this. Pagac goes back to looking after the LBs who, up to last year, had played well under his coaching. This removes Singletary from buggering about with that unit at least.
Now Williams was on a team that had a less than stellar defence this season thats not in doubt but how much of that was due to the plays called by the DC there, along with the fact that the Colts offense wasn't scoring points. We've seen similar here, don't forget when we couldn't score and the D were constantly being left out to dry as a result.
I'm not saying that Williams is guaranteed to be a HOF DC - yet, however he could be the same as Tomlin, whom a lot of people raised eyebrows at on his appointment and showed to be a damn good DC.

NDVikingFan66
01-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Feeling somewhat empty right now.

midgensa
01-19-2012, 02:43 PM
Brilliant.

They fire the one guy who had a decently performing unit, demote the one coach who showed any sign of being aggressive and hired a DC who was a DB coach one one of two teams worse than hours.

This really sucks unless you revel in failure.

He was also the defensive backs coach for the No. 8, No. 11, No. 11, No. 11 and No. 3 defense in the league at some point in his career. And was the DB coach for the No. 1 scoring defense in 2007 and a Super Bowl winning defense in 2006.

One year does not make a break a player or a coach in this league.

I don't love or hate the hire, but to think because last year the Indy defense struggled this guy can't coach is a little shortsighted. Indy was a train wreck last year. And if you think it would have been any different with Bill Belichik coaching ... you are most likely wrong.

That all said. I do not like Frazier. I do not like the C-2 really and think that no matter who the OC, DC, etc. is ... this team and it's "system" are in trouble.

Purple Floyd
01-19-2012, 06:52 PM
He was also the defensive backs coach for the No. 8, No. 11, No. 11, No. 11 and No. 3 defense in the league at some point in his career. And was the DB coach for the No. 1 scoring defense in 2007 and a Super Bowl winning defense in 2006.

One year does not make a break a player or a coach in this league.

I don't love or hate the hire, but to think because last year the Indy defense struggled this guy can't coach is a little shortsighted. Indy was a train wreck last year. And if you think it would have been any different with Bill Belichik coaching ... you are most likely wrong.

That all said. I do not like Frazier. I do not like the C-2 really and think that no matter who the OC, DC, etc. is ... this team and it's "system" are in trouble.

Yeah and the Vikings had similar success sans the SB but our secondary has been shitty for over a decade and none of our DB coaches have been worthy of a DC promotion so I will take your stats with a grain of salt.

I understand and respect your point though. And like you I agree that the C2 is suspect.

Personally I have never been less optimistic in an off season and to be honest if we are going into the next season with pretty much the same defensive staff and running the C2 I have absolutely zero interest in even watching it unfold ( Or unravel).

bleedpurple
01-19-2012, 07:19 PM
It seems if you had a shitty season last year coaching and GM'ing the Vikings will give you a promotion....

MulletMullitia
01-20-2012, 04:45 AM
It seems if you had a shitty season last year coaching and GM'ing the Vikings will give you a promotion....

Exactly. Yet my site is being ridiculed. Especially on the facebook fan page. We only have 7 signatures in a whole week of being up. We need the unhappy fans to step up and let their voices be heard.

NDVikingFan66
01-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Exactly. Yet my site is being ridiculed. Especially on the facebook fan page. We only have 7 signatures in a whole week of being up. We need the unhappy fans to step up and let their voices be heard.

MM, though I admire your passion as a Vikings fan, signing an online petition really does nothing except allow someone to say they are unhappy. My guess it will make no difference, until we turn into Detroit.

At least now, hopefully, someone can be accountable for decisions. Though I am not overly happy with the hiring of Spielman, I am willing to see what happens in the next year.

I am also unhappy with Frazier, and his decisions, but again, willing to give him a bit of rope to see what happens.

As someone on here as pointed out, if we are all such great football minds, why are we not running a NFL team? We really do not know what goes on behind the scenes, and for that reason, I am willing to give some latitude. I will express my frustration when we do not perform to my expectations, and recently they have not.

At the end, I do not believe that my signing a online petition will really change anyone's mind.

Again, I do admire your passion though.

bleedpurple
01-20-2012, 11:42 AM
None of it matters unless we shout chants fire frazier (FF) at vikings games or wear Vote for FF tee-shirts.

Either way, unless we vote with our wallets and stop going to games the owners won't hear us... All these ppl saying give them a chance blah blah blah... his chance has equaled 6-16. Frazier is no Belichek. I don't want to hear all the lack of an offseason talk... Look at what the 49ers did, Panters with Cam, titans did.. etc.

Frazier is in over his head, he showed it as D-coordinator and showed it last year... He will most likely have just next year to prove himself. Then Childress comes off the books and we can clean house.

Regardless of our confidence or lack thereof in the current regimine... I will watch intently, cheer the moves / offseason acquisitions/draft.. and watch the season spin into the abyss next year...

Then smile and say I told you so!!!

mountainviking
01-20-2012, 01:12 PM
The colts have been weak against the run, but better vs. the pass for years. We are already decent vs. the run, and retained the side of things while hiring a guy who's expertise is our weakness...pass D. Not bad. Not real exciting, but Alan Williams just might work out fine for us.

IF we can get some upgrades in the secondary AND then keep them healthy and out of jail!

And, having Spielman as GM takes a lil work off of Frazier's shoulders and should give us a clearer picture of who the Scapegoat should be if we do happen to suffer another season like last. IF we get 6 or 8 wins, I'd count that as progress.

midgensa
01-20-2012, 01:51 PM
The colts have been weak against the run, but better vs. the pass for years. We are already decent vs. the run, and retained the side of things while hiring a guy who's expertise is our weakness...pass D. Not bad. Not real exciting, but Alan Williams just might work out fine for us.

IF we can get some upgrades in the secondary AND then keep them healthy and out of jail!

And, having Spielman as GM takes a lil work off of Frazier's shoulders and should give us a clearer picture of who the Scapegoat should be if we do happen to suffer another season like last. IF we get 6 or 8 wins, I'd count that as progress.

Well yeah ... 6 or 8 wins is progress ... that is a fact. Not really any other way to take going from 3 wins to 6 or 8 wins.

But if we don't get to 6 or 8 wins, then we have to clean house. Top to bottom. Maybe even at 6 wins you clean house depending on how competitive you were in the 10 losses.

Purple Floyd
01-20-2012, 03:14 PM
If they were going to hire this guy and fire Dunbar the least they could have done for us fans is to have brought John Teerlinck back home from Indy to coach the D Line.

battleaxe4cheese
01-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Does this guy have any coaching experience in constructive ways to deal with your girlfriend without resorting to strangulation? I hope so...

b_sandhar_29
01-21-2012, 03:23 PM
I think this was a great pick up for us. I think we needed to get to a defensive coordinator who would put much more of a emphasis on our secondary. As much as I would like to blame our coaching staff for the abysmal year, I'm having a hard time doing that. 9 of our 13 losses were decided by 7 points or less. And we all know that when a game is decided by less than a possession, it comes down to 2-3 plays. Although, our coaching staff was responsible for the first 4 losses where we blew halftime leads in all 4 games and IMO, our coaching staff failed to make the necessary adjustments in the 2nd half.

But aside from that, how can you blame them for our rookie Ponder making the mistakes all rookies make? Ponder, in about 9.5 games (didn't finish games against Chi [2] and Washington) he threw for 13 TDs (not bad), 13 INTs (ew), and in addition lost 5 fumbles. I think Ponder's inability to hold on to the ball (like all rookies) contributed to those losses more than anything. I remember he threw some horrible balls against Oakland, Denver, and Detroit which most likely lost us those games. And even in games he wasn't committing turnovers, he failed to move the chains and posted a completion percentage of under 60% in 7 of those 11 games he played in. Our defense was constantly in a hole in most games because of our inefficiency to move and control the ball.

4 of those 9 losses (Included Raider loss, Peterson hurt 1st quarter/early 2nd) were without our franchise player and yet we remained competitive throughout these games.

In addition, we played with a secondary who's depth seemed to get thinner and thinner as the year went on. Starting corners beginning of the year; Griffin, Cook, Winfield, Abdullah, Sanford. Starting corners at the end of the year; Sapp, Allen, Burton/Griffin (demoted), Raymond, Sanford. I can't blame our defense for playing so bad when we were so thin in the backfield throughout the year.

Bottomline, Frazier doesn't deserve to be on the hot seat when he is not only a first year head coach, but playing with a first year QB, depleted O-Line, and injury riddled Defensive backfield. I think the competitiveness this team showed throughout the year will carry on into next year's 2012 and 2013 year.

Bringing in Alan Williams was a move I didn't think was "great" but wasn't bad either. I think our secondary needs to be the focus of our team now. I'm sick of watching our defense get picked apart by quarterbacks on the weekly basis. We're in a new system, give it time to develop before we start bashing this coaching staff and demanding for their heads. After all, this is our first season with a GM.

12purplepride28
01-22-2012, 01:54 AM
Although, our coaching staff was responsible for the first 4 losses where we blew halftime leads in all 4 games and IMO, our coaching staff failed to make the necessary adjustments in the 2nd half.

Halftime adjustments are completely overrated. The players failed in those games just as much as the coaches did.

marshallvike
01-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Halftime adjustments are completely overrated. The players failed in those games just as much as the coaches did.

I completely disagree with you on this one 12 28. The coaches are responsible for putting the players in a position to succeed. If they can not figure out what the other team is doing, or adjust to the changes the other team is making, the players on the field have no chance. The players are on the field playing within the confines of the plays the coaches are calling. They are not out there to determine what play the other team might be calling and calling their own defenses. They do adjust to the offensive/defensive sets, but the player packages are already in place, so there are limitations to what they can do.
The early part of this year seemed to be proof of what halftime adjustments can do for a team. We continually dominated teams in the first half of the games only to be outwitted the second halves of the first five games. We did not retool our rosters at halftime. The same players were out there, but the coaches could not think on the fly and counter the adjustments the other teams made at halftime.

jargomcfargo
01-22-2012, 01:39 PM
I completely disagree with you on this one 12 28. The coaches are responsible for putting the players in a position to succeed. If they can not figure out what the other team is doing, or adjust to the changes the other team is making, the players on the field have no chance. The players are on the field playing within the confines of the plays the coaches are calling. They are not out there to determine what play the other team might be calling and calling their own defenses. They do adjust to the offensive/defensive sets, but the player packages are already in place, so there are limitations to what they can do.
The early part of this year seemed to be proof of what halftime adjustments can do for a team. We continually dominated teams in the first half of the games only to be outwitted the second halves of the first five games. We did not retool our rosters at halftime. The same players were out there, but the coaches could not think on the fly and counter the adjustments the other teams made at halftime.
I agree. The team that dominates the first 5 to 10 minutes of the second half almost always wins the game.

bleedpurple
01-23-2012, 11:49 AM
OH HOW QUICKLY WE FORGET!!!

I think what everyone is failing to remember is that aside from our strong efforts in coming back only to loose by less than 1 possession... People forget the HUGE 1st half deficits and the energy and ridiculous combacks it took to even get within one possession. The First and second half lapses that this team went through where they looked lost and unprepared was by far the biggest thing that worries alot of people about this football team.

The comebacks are proof if anything that there is talent on this team. But in many games we played the other teams were on cruise control up 20+ points then all of a sudden we decided we wanted to start paying good football...

Then when you put in the coaching blips like the non-challenges/dumb challenges, head scratching play calls (4th and 1 anyone??), personnel in the game during key drives (i.e. not having Peterson, Harvin, Rudolph, etc. in the game when the game is on the line), coaches missing meetings, players ignoring playcalls, etc. goes to justifiy had bad this coaching staff actually is...

So many ppl have on their purple glasses trying to sell hope a, which is fine, but let's not forget how many boneheaded things this staff did on a continuous basis.... My biggest pet peave is how they didn't use our best personnel in key situations... That is inexcusable!!..

Not sure where all this optimism about the coaching staff is coming from.. Go back and watch the games and you will be reminded...

Minniman
01-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Tampa 2 ... more of the same futility.

12purplepride28
01-24-2012, 09:54 PM

What adjustments needed to be made at halftime? We were killing them in the first half and second half we just crashed. I meant that halftime adjustments were overrated in that adjustments on the fly are much more critical. Everyone loves to throw out the word halftime adjustments as a reason for losses, but the players completely melted down in the second half. Obviously not great or even above average coaching, but that's not the complete reason for our losses in the beginning.

Traveling_Vike
01-31-2012, 03:54 PM
I am with 12 28 on this one. Adjustments are not, and should never be, only a halftime thing. Granted that you have a bit more time at the break to consider, it still isn't very long, and the small amount of extra time goes equally to the opponent.

On-the-fly, situational adjustments are much more critical. Especially so since there is at least a play or two going by before the opponent has even the slightest chance to compensate. It's all about "read and react" just like it is for players on an individual play basis, only moreso for the coaches in a transitional sense.

I do not fault the coaching staff overmuch for failure to adjust at halftime. Some blame can be placed there, certainly, but not the lion's share, IMO. Where the staff fails most egregiously is in maintaining order and discipline within the team.

I can't count how many times I have read complaints here about how the team looked "unprepared" or "lost" or "out of position." That's initially a failure of the player(s) in question, but as it continues over time, it becomes more and more the fault of the coaches in not correcting the problem. Sure, players make mistakes. Fix them! Talk to the player, or sub him out. One or two mistakes can be forgiven, but the longer it goes on, the less you can truly fault the player.

I had hoped the Mike Singletary would provide some of the discipline we had been lacking in 2010, but things just got worse in 2011. Someone needs to get on these guys and remind them that they are professionals and need to live up to that.