PDA

View Full Version : Stick With #3 or Trade It? Good Article

MaxVike
01-17-2012, 07:32 AM
OK, PP.O, which scenario, if any here, do you like, dislike, prefer? Interesting article from Bleacher Report.

Minnesota Vikings: 5 Trade Offers the Vikes Should Listen to for the No. 3 Pick

Rick Spielman better invest in some Q-Tips to make damn sure his ears are clear when listening to teams about the potential trading of the No. 3 pick in this year’s draft.

Why?

Minnesota Vikings: 5 Trade Offers the Vikes Should Listen to for the No. 3 Pick | Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1024877-minnesota-vikings-5-trade-offers-the-vikes-should-listen-to-for-the-no-3-pick)

jmcdon00
01-17-2012, 11:50 AM
I stopped reading when it said the Rams won't be trading the 2nd spot and Blackmon. No way Blackmon goes number 2. I doubt in the top5.

TNViking
01-17-2012, 12:44 PM
That all depends on the trade, doesn't it?

These scenarios are a bit far fetched. He doesn't like Kalil for some reason. Says the Rams won't take him. I mean he thinks Kalil will fall to 7? No way! That eliminates most of his ideas.

If we can get Kalil, take him unless someone offers the moon. Otherwise trade to CLE for their two 1st rounders.

But if Miami wants to deal for their pick (#9) and CB Vonte Davis, I'd listen. Especially if Kalil's gone.

i_bleed_purple
01-17-2012, 01:34 PM
I stopped reading when it said the Rams won't be trading the 2nd spot and Blackmon. No way Blackmon goes number 2. I doubt in the top5.

I didn't even start reading when I saw it said Bleacher Report.

i_bleed_purple
01-17-2012, 01:39 PM
I lied... started reading. This is exactly why the Bleacher is a joke:

The Vikings would drop down to No. 6 and fall behind the Browns and Tampa Bay Buccaneers—two teams who already have pro-bowl LTs on their roster, leaving Matt Kalil still on the board for them to take.
Umm... Kalil at 6? Don't think so. Outside of Luck, he's regarded as the best player and the best shot at a sure thing. Not a chance he falls to 6. If he's there past 4, someone will trade up for him.

If this dream scenario plays out, the Vikes would only have to slide down one spot, pick up another first-round pick and still end up with Matt Kalil.
He's dead set on Kalil not going to the Rams. Question: Bradford obviously has talent, but what held him back this year? Injuries. Give the kid some protection, so he doesn't have to worry about a DE coming off the blind side and he'll make things happen.

We've watched 3 good QB's get absolutely pummelled in STL, Warner, Bulger and now Bradford. I can't see the Rams leaving him on the board.

Ryan Kalil could still slide down to No. 9,
/facepalm

only if the St. Louis Rams happen to pass on Justin Blackmon—.....
Falling back to the seventh pick would still allow for the Vikes to possibly land Matt Kalil,

I was promised that this was a good article?

AngloVike
01-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Well the question is going to be how much the Vikes covet Kalil, if they do then take him at #3 and be done with it. If not then see if other teams think they do and see what they will offer.
If we can convince others to make the trade then we can drop down, get extra picks and get a good LT as opposed to an elite LT - which it seems that Kalil will be. Least in that way we can build the team on good players as opposed to trying to do it with only a couple of elite players and the the balance with later round reaches.

As for saying that it would be impossible to screw it up.. nothing is impossible so don't tempt fate and think that can't happen.

MaxVike
01-17-2012, 02:22 PM
I lied... started reading. This is exactly why the Bleacher is a joke:

Umm... Kalil at 6? Don't think so. Outside of Luck, he's regarded as the best player and the best shot at a sure thing. Not a chance he falls to 6. If he's there past 4, someone will trade up for him.

He's dead set on Kalil not going to the Rams. Question: Bradford obviously has talent, but what held him back this year? Injuries. Give the kid some protection, so he doesn't have to worry about a DE coming off the blind side and he'll make things happen.

We've watched 3 good QB's get absolutely pummelled in STL, Warner, Bulger and now Bradford. I can't see the Rams leaving him on the board.

/facepalm

I was promised that this was a good article?

Good grief IBP...it is an article of potential scenarios. There are a million of them at this point...these are merely six. Just put it out there more as a spark to see what people think...not for a critique of Bleacher Report...

So, if the Rams take Kalil, what say you?

bleedpurple
01-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Aside from all you guys points.... which are valid... These scenarios are still only valid assuming we get the trade card signed and approved on time!!!... Hence, K.Williams, and McKinnie gafs in years past... Didn't it also happen with Baltimore a few years ago as well??

seaniemck7
01-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Peters and Saffold (1st and 2nd round OT picks) have underwhelmed in St Louis getting Bradford knocked out for multiple games. I give them a 95% chance they pull the trigger on Kalil.

One thing is intreguing though: Draft history of Fisher.

Fisher Draft History (http://www.clanram.com/forums/f85/jeff-fisher-draft-history-titans-47393/)

Now, I do not recall the power structure in Tennesee. I do know that Fisher was influential in the personnel decision process. Let's assume he was pulling the strings.

The highest Fisher ever drafted a tackle was in the second round. Their current starters were drafted in 2005 Roos (LOT) and Stewart (ROT).

RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL
2 41 Michael Roos T Eastern Washington
4 113 David Stewart T Mississippi State

Their back up Tackle for both positions was drafted in 2007 in the 7th Round.

7 223 Michael Otto OT Purdue

Even John Runyon, drafted in 1996, was drafted in the 4th round.

However Fisher has selected WR's fairly early:
2010 - Tennessee Titans
3 77 Damian Williams WR USC (no second round pick that year)

2009 - Tennessee Titans
1 30 Kenny Britt WR Rutgers

2007 - Tennessee Titans
3 80 Paul Williams WR Fresno State

2005 - Tennessee Titans
3 68 Courtney Roby WR Indiana
3 96 Brandon Jones WR Oklahoma

2003 - Tennessee Titans
2 60 Tyrone Calico WR Middle Tennessee State

1998 - Tennessee Oilers
1 16 Kevin Dyson WR Utah

1997 - Tennessee Oilers
2 46 Joey Kent WR Tennessee

1995 - Houston Oilers
3 67 Chris Sanders WR Ohio State

(Derrick Mason was a 4th rounder in 97).

So while I think its a no brainer for them to take Kalil at #2, its not too far fetched to think he would take Blackmon. He seems to have had success taking lineman in later rounds and putting quality on the field. The fact is he has never taken an OL in the first round.

1 16 Derrick Morgan DE Georgia Tech
1 30 Kenny Britt WR Rutgers
1 24 Chris Johnson RB East Carolina
1 19 Michael Griffin FS Texas
1 3 Vince Young QB Texas
1 6 Pacman Jones CB West Virginia
1 28 Andre Woolfolk CB Oklahoma
1 15 Albert Haynesworth DT Tennessee
1 30 Keith Bulluck LB Syracuse
1 16 Jevon Kearse DE Florida
1 16 Kevin Dyson WR Utah
1 18 Kenny Holmes DE Miami (Fla.)
1 14 Eddie George RB Ohio State
1 3 Steve McNair QB Alcorn State

Like I said before a lot hinges on what St Louis does at #2. I don't think anything will bear out as crazy as some of these article's claim, but Kalil at 2 might not be as much of a slam dunk as I previously thought.

marshallvike
01-17-2012, 09:57 PM
I don't think Fischer had much to do with the draft in Tennesee. He made it well known that Vince Young was not the player he wanted drafted by the team that year, but they drafted him anyway. You don't need much more proof than that.

i_bleed_purple
01-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Good grief IBP...it is an article of potential scenarios. There are a million of them at this point...these are merely six. Just put it out there more as a spark to see what people think...not for a critique of Bleacher Report...

So, if the Rams take Kalil, what say you?

If we're at 3 and Kalil is off the board, we go with Blackmon unless someone offers a great deal. I don't have issues with entertaining trade ideas, but this writers reasoning behind them is suspect to say the least.

Purple Floyd
01-18-2012, 06:56 AM
Hopefully things change to a large degree after the combine because right now it sounds like it is two players deep and we pick 3rd. Is there no other premier talent outside of Kalil and Luck?

If we trade down will our pick hold enough value to make it worth while?

tastywaves
01-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Hopefully things change to a large degree after the combine because right now it sounds like it is two players deep and we pick 3rd. Is there no other premier talent outside of Kalil and Luck?

If we trade down will our pick hold enough value to make it worth while?

Yes, teams will go after RGIII. Cleveland and Washington most likely as the author states. The stronger Washington's interest, the more it opens things up for the Vikings.

I expect RGIII interest will be even higher after the combine. he is built for the combine. Very athletic, strong arm and high IQ. Also presents himself well off the field.

Blackmon at #2 is also a real possibility with St. Louis, giving us a chance at Kalil which would be my preference over Claiborne. Better yet if we get them at #4 after a trade with Cleveland to block Washington.

Luck is the best QB, but RGIII is the only other one in the draft worth getting excited about and teams will go after him.

bleedpurple
01-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Yes, teams will go after RGIII. Cleveland and Washington most likely as the author states. The stronger Washington's interest, the more it opens things up for the Vikings.

I expect RGIII interest will be even higher after the combine. he is built for the combine. Very athletic, strong arm and high IQ. Also presents himself well off the field.

Blackmon at #2 is also a real possibility with St. Louis, giving us a chance at Kalil which would be my preference over Claiborne. Better yet if we get them at #4 after a trade with Cleveland to block Washington.

Luck is the best QB, but RGIII is the only other one in the draft worth getting excited about and teams will go after him.

Only way RGIII goes 2nd overall is if the Rams trade the pick.... U can count on that!!!

Dibbzz
01-23-2012, 11:35 PM
Only way RGIII goes 2nd overall is if the Rams trade the pick.... U can count on that!!!

Which would be good for us because then we can take Kalil at pick three. Worst case scenario in this draft is Kalil and Luck are off the board and we take Claiborne at #3, which is good due to our depleted and talentless secondary. Any way we look at it we should be able to fulfill a team need.

jaymz7
01-24-2012, 09:06 PM
The Cleveland trade sounds pretty good to me. A chance to get 2 first round picks would at least start at making a dent in all of the needs the team has to fill. We could always take the 2nd 1st round pick and trade it to Indy for Peyton and then sign Reggie Wayne after they cut him and continue with our retread player program. ;)

AngloVike
01-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Ok now that Childress has been taken on as OC at Cleveland how much will that impact on players drafted at #3 & #4. Will he be pushing the Browns to go after RGIII? Given that Spielman indicated that the Vikes would consider trades for the #3 pick then how much pressure does that put on Cleveland if they are very king on drafting Griffin? Especially if some other teams are in the market for a future franchise QB, this could work in our favour and maybe drive up the value of that #3 pick ?

jmcdon00
01-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Ok now that Childress has been taken on as OC at Cleveland how much will that impact on players drafted at #3 & #4. Will he be pushing the Browns to go after RGIII? Given that Spielman indicated that the Vikes would consider trades for the #3 pick then how much pressure does that put on Cleveland if they are very king on drafting Griffin? Especially if some other teams are in the market for a future franchise QB, this could work in our favour and maybe drive up the value of that #3 pick ?
I think if RGIII is the best player available the Vikings will consider drafting him themselves. Worse scenarios than having two or three good QB's on a team.

midgensa
01-27-2012, 07:24 PM
I think if RGIII is the best player available the Vikings will consider drafting him themselves. Worse scenarios than having two or three good QB's on a team.

I can't imagine the Vikings taking RGIII at No. 3. I am not totally against it or anything. But this staff and front office hitched their wagon to Ponder last season and I think they are willing to live or die by it.

They would trade the pick before drafting him. I would be surprised if they don't trade the pick considering someone will offer a decent amount to try jumping in front Cleveland and then force the Browns to give up a decent amount to get in front of themselves.

tastywaves
01-27-2012, 08:25 PM
I can't imagine the Vikings taking RGIII at No. 3. I am not totally against it or anything. But this staff and front office hitched their wagon to Ponder last season and I think they are willing to live or die by it.

They would trade the pick before drafting him. I would be surprised if they don't trade the pick considering someone will offer a decent amount to try jumping in front Cleveland and then force the Browns to give up a decent amount to get in front of themselves.

That's the way I see it as well. I really hope there is a fight for RGIII, and we are the trade partner vs St. Louis.

Purple Floyd
01-27-2012, 09:56 PM
I think we should draft Richardson from Alabama since we are building a run first team and don't know how Peterson is going to come out of his rehab. Even if he does come back 100% we would have the most kick ass backfield in the league.

PackSux!
01-28-2012, 02:08 PM
I wonder what Holmgren thinks about RGIII? I would imagine that he makes the decisions on players over there in Cleveland. I believe we will get the most action from Washington as they will be scared Cleveland is targeting RGIII. I am praying that Snyder falls in love with him during the combines and offers the deal of the century.

Either way we are sitting pretty at where we are at.

marshallvike
01-29-2012, 02:34 PM
I can't possibly see the Rams using their pick instead of trading it. I realize everything will change after the combine and pro days, but at this point, there is no reason for the Rams to stay there when they could drop back 2 spaces and pick up another 1st rounder. Cleveland to us would not net another first, but it would pick up a great second, and we may have to make up the difference in later rounds, but again, St. Louis is in the drivers seat. They will dictate whether we will be able to make a trade, and it aint lookin good that way. The positive side of that is we still get Kalil.

tastywaves
01-30-2012, 10:23 AM
I can't possibly see the Rams using their pick instead of trading it. I realize everything will change after the combine and pro days, but at this point, there is no reason for the Rams to stay there when they could drop back 2 spaces and pick up another 1st rounder. Cleveland to us would not net another first, but it would pick up a great second, and we may have to make up the difference in later rounds, but again, St. Louis is in the drivers seat. They will dictate whether we will be able to make a trade, and it aint lookin good that way. The positive side of that is we still get Kalil.

Like you said, it will depend on the cost of working with St. Louis vs. MN. That goes for both Washington and Cleveland. St. Louis may just be coveting a guy like Blackmon and may be concerned MN picks him up if they pass on it. Lot of ways this could go.

seaniemck7
01-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Like you said, it will depend on the cost of working with St. Louis vs. MN. That goes for both Washington and Cleveland. St. Louis may just be coveting a guy like Blackmon and may be concerned MN picks him up if they pass on it. Lot of ways this could go.

That is a salient point as to our leverage. Working with MN will costs teams less in the sense of draft value. The new rookie wage scale is less prohibitive from a dollars perspective in paying someone out of the 2slot as opposed to the 3slot.

I have said all along, the Rams will dictate how the draft will go. This is one of the most intriguing drafts in a long time (at least for me because the Vikings are actually in the mix).

NodakPaul
01-30-2012, 11:55 AM
The more I look at the draft class, the more I think that the Vikings will not trade their pick. They are guaranteed to have Kalil or Blackmon (or both) available no matter what happens. Both address a major need. I would prefer Kalil, but would be happy either way.

I realize we have a LOT of holes to fill, but I also realize that we are going to have a minimum of 6 picks in the first four rounds (comp picks for Rice and Edwards). And we have an extra 7th rounder from NE, which could be bundled to trade up. So we have a lot of holes, and we have a lot of picks.

I see us making a strong push in FA for at least one skill player, and pulling in some talent in the draft. We are going to be a young team, but this is a good thing too...

jmcdon00
01-30-2012, 08:22 PM
That's how I see it too, and really a pretty good scenario for the Vikings. Kalil is the 2nd highest rated player in the draft as of now.

singersp
02-14-2012, 07:04 AM
Shooter Now: Expect Vikings to trade No. 3 pick in NFL draft

There seems little doubt the Vikings will trade down with their No. 3 overall pick for additional picks in April's NFL draft.

That's the team's only conceivable way to improve sooner than later because it doesn't appear to have enough money to spend on established players through free agency.

Shooter Now: Expect Vikings to trade No. 3 pick in NFL draft - TwinCities.com (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_19954870)

tastywaves
02-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Shooter Now: Expect Vikings to trade No. 3 pick in NFL draft

Shooter Now: Expect Vikings to trade No. 3 pick in NFL draft - TwinCities.com (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_19954870)

That was a pretty empty statement by ShootMeNow. I would say I was pretty disappointed when I clicked on the link until I read where Kevin Love is the nephew of Beach Boy's Mike Love....at least his wife Jackie.

Jarlvik
02-15-2012, 09:07 AM
Many more options!
I love this time of year with all the speculation. The fun is in thinking that, for a couple months, anything is possible. A great time for fantasizing.
I think most of us feel that Bleacher report is usually out of touch with reality, as are many of the "Draftniks" out there.
I did find this one from the Daily Norseman fun and food for thought. www.dailynorseman.com/2012/2/14/2799024/vikings-offseason-plan-5-0-mockzilla?ref=yahoo (http://http://www.dailynorseman.com/2012/2/14/2799024/vikings-offseason-plan-5-0-mockzilla?ref=yahoo) It points out a crazy number of possibilities and shows that some think outside the box and well beyond Luck, Kalil, and RG3 as the only possible choices with enough value to help a team, especially one like the Vikings with so many needs.
I'm pretty sure ESPN and the NFL Network won't turn off their cameras and go home after those three guys are gone.