PDA

View Full Version : The Vikings are on the clock. Who do you draft?

Ram Guy
01-03-2012, 01:17 AM
After my Rams trade the #2 pick to Cleveland, the first two picks go Andrew Luck to Indy and Robert Griffin to Cleveland.

Who do the Vikings draft at #3?

NodakPaul
01-03-2012, 08:10 AM
If the rams trade down, the Vikes take Kalil, and there will be much rejoicing.

If the rams don't trade down and they take Kalil, the Vikes will trade down, and there will be much rejoicing.

If the rams don't trade down, and for some unknown reason they don't take Kalil, the Vikings will take him, and there will be much rejoicing.

All in all, I am looking forward to the draft. It will be hard (but not impossible) to screw this one up.

Zeus
01-03-2012, 11:25 AM

If the rams don't trade down and they take Kalil, the Vikes will trade down, and there will be much rejoicing.

If the rams don't trade down, and for some unknown reason they don't take Kalil, the Vikings will take him, and there will be much rejoicing.

All in all, I am looking forward to the draft. It will be hard (but not impossible) to screw this one up.

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

=Z=

Vikadelic
01-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Matt Kalil would be awesome!

jmcdon00
01-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Kalil
Just say no to Blackmon.

NDVikingFan66
01-06-2012, 10:50 PM
I may be off my rocker, but I am interested in taking anyone who can play anywhere in our secondary. I heard a radio personality the other day say our current secondary could not start for a D2 football team.

My thought process is that offensive lineman are typically available at other spots in the draft, as well as receivers.

However, with Hutch probably not going to be back, I would be OK with some brute along the offensive line.

What I really want is to not pick third again next year.

matty17
01-06-2012, 11:51 PM
I would like to see kahil. If he is gone trade down and get some secondary help.

jmcdon00
01-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Screw the defense, focus on offense. The Patriots and Packers ranked 31 and 32 in defense in the regular season, both are 1 seeds in the playoffs.
No matter what we do on defense we won't be able to stop the Packers or Lions offenses, our only chance is to out score them.

seaniemck7
01-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Screw the defense, focus on offense. The Patriots and Packers ranked 31 and 32 in defense in the regular season, both are 1 seeds in the playoffs.
No matter what we do on defense we won't be able to stop the Packers or Lions offenses, our only chance is to out score them.

Then we should shit-can Speilman and hire Denny as the GM. That MoFo can build an offense while completely ignoring a D. ;)

Suick
01-09-2012, 01:31 PM
I may be off my rocker, but I am interested in taking anyone who can play anywhere in our secondary. I heard a radio personality the other day say our current secondary could not start for a D2 football team.

Agree. As I said Saturday night about 6 beers in " The Vikings 2ndary is the worst I have ever seen, maybe the worst in the history of professional football"

Purplemania*
01-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Actually I can't say you'd go wrong with either Kalil or Blackmon as we desperately need both. However, Lets say they are both super-good, and we can only get one... A stud linemen can help keep Ponder upright but not by himself and even if he can Ponder can throw to Nobodys (All Vikings WR except of course Percy)... On the contrary, Blackmon is the Moss of the 12 draft. He could stretch the field opening up the slants for harvin and the seems for Shiancoe or Rudolph instantly changing the defensive philosophy - send the house at the Vikings cause they have no one to throw to to...

Again, don''t get me wrong we need OL, we DB but for a return to greatness in 12 we NEED WR now.

Skol my brothers!

vikesrgreat2
01-10-2012, 03:52 PM
A thought just came to my mind:

Suppose RGIII was somehow available at #3, after Luck and Kalil were drafted. Do the Vikings take RGIII if he's the best player remaining on the board???

jmcdon00
01-11-2012, 01:19 PM
A thought just came to my mind:

Suppose RGIII was somehow available at #3, after Luck and Kalil were drafted. Do the Vikings take RGIII if he's the best player remaining on the board???
I think if they have him as the top player available, and you can't get a trade that makes sense, then yes you take him.
I'm not giving up on Ponder, but the Qb position is still a question mark. If we end up with 2 great QB's, that's a problem I can live with.
I also think you have to keep the door open to moving up and getting Luck. If the Colts decide to continue with Manning, we are one of the few teams with the Picks to move up. Again if you have two great QB's that's a good problem, with the rookie cap the salary concerns really don't come into play.

psahni
01-12-2012, 01:54 PM
There is no chance in hell we trade down from our 3rd spot. We NEED claiborne back there. Like others have said, you can get an O-line man in FA or other spots in the draft, though im truly torn between Kahlil and claiborne, if Kahlil is gone then you get Claiborne if not, you can't go wrong with either but I think it's harder to find a lockdown corner than an OT.

psahni
01-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Nope not buying the Manning business. IF RGIII is there then maybe but I'm not overspending for 3 years of Manning when I can have 12 years of a QB after some patience. The team is in a full rebuild mode. Spielman is the GM he's not going to say that he messed up with the Ponder pick so I doubt we take a QB.

Either an O-lineman or Claiborne. I wouldn't even look at Blackmon at the #3 pick. Too high for a WR after all there are is only 1 Calvin Johnson, and 1 Larry Fitzgerald and yet how many WR's go top 10. Honestly I'd like Claiborne as bad as our O-line is, our secondary is 10x worse.

TNViking
01-12-2012, 03:33 PM
My 2 dream scenarios

1 - Draft kalil (which ever way we can)
2- trade to Cleveland for the #4 and #22. Take whoever we would have at #3 anyway and get a free 1st rounder at #22.

And who knows, if the competition is stiff enough between CLE, WASH and MIA maybe we can get more than #4 and #22 and squeeze out a 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounder too.

jmcdon00
01-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Nope not buying the Manning business. IF RGIII is there then maybe but I'm not overspending for 3 years of Manning when I can have 12 years of a QB after some patience. The team is in a full rebuild mode. Spielman is the GM he's not going to say that he messed up with the Ponder pick so I doubt we take a QB.

Either an O-lineman or Claiborne. I wouldn't even look at Blackmon at the #3 pick. Too high for a WR after all there are is only 1 Calvin Johnson, and 1 Larry Fitzgerald and yet how many WR's go top 10. Honestly I'd like Claiborne as bad as our O-line is, our secondary is 10x worse.
I wasn't saying get Manning, although if they outright release him it would be hard not to consider it. I'm saying if they keep Manning they could look to trade the number 1 pick, and we'd could draft Luck.

Full agreement on Blackmon. If he were 6'3 or 6'4 I would consider it but he's 6'1. Hard to dominate outside when you don't have the size, and we already have a slot guy.

12purplepride28
01-12-2012, 05:58 PM
you can get an O-line man in FA or other spots in the draft . . . it's harder to find a lockdown corner than an OT.

When the hell was the last time someone got a franchise LT in FA? Last time someone got a beastly corner? Asomugha. I'd take my chances drafting a corner in the second round or later and take the OT in the 1st.

tastywaves
01-13-2012, 11:31 AM
After gaining immense wisdom from listening to all the expert analysts and draft sites this is how I would like to see things play out:

1) Indy -- Luck
2) St. Louis -- Trade with Cleveland/Washington -- RGIII is picked
3) MN -- Kalil --- Safest pick, huge need

Alternate scenario:
1) Indy -- Luck
2) St. Louis --- Kalil
3) MN -- Trade with Clev/Washington -- RGIII is picked

If Cleveland trades up to keep Washington away, then MN takes Claiborne with #4.
If Washington makes the trade then MN selects Reiff at #6, which could be a reach and probably not BPA, but OL need/importance trumps the BPA mentality in this case.

Not necessarily saying this is how I would make the selections, but this is what seems to keep bubbling up as the most likely scenarios. I don't like Blackmon with our first pick. If we get the extra picks with a trade, that would put us in good shape to pick up a corner and safety in the first couple rounds.

TNViking
01-13-2012, 01:23 PM
After gaining immense wisdom from listening to all the expert analysts and draft sites this is how I would like to see things play out:

1) Indy -- Luck
2) St. Louis -- Trade with Cleveland/Washington -- RGIII is picked
3) MN -- Kalil --- Safest pick, huge need

Alternate scenario:
1) Indy -- Luck
2) St. Louis --- Kalil

If Cleveland trades up to keep Washington away, then MN takes Claiborne with #4.
If Washington makes the trade then MN selects Reiff at #6, which could be a reach and probably not BPA, but OL need/importance trumps the BPA mentality in this case.

Not necessarily saying this is how I would make the selections, but this is what seems to keep bubbling up as the most likely scenarios. I don't like Blackmon with our first pick. If we get the extra picks with a trade, that would put us in good shape to pick up a corner and safety in the first couple rounds.

Either scenario is good with me. Kalil is best, IMHO. But a CLE trade with Claiborne and a #22 pick should be great too.

NDVikingFan66
01-13-2012, 11:34 PM
I think it is safe to assume Luck goes #1 to Indy, though that may or may not change.

So, allow me to analyze what could happen next, since everyone talks about teams wanting to trade up to get RG3.

St. Louis - They are set at QB. Very unlikely to pick RG3. More likely to pick Blackmon since they have taken O-Line in the first round the past 2 years if I am not mistaken, and those picks have not panned out. They may need to make a "sexy" pick, so picture Blackmon in Ram uniform.

Minnesota Vikings - We are NOT taking a QB. No way, now how. The only possible exception is Luck falls to us, and if he does, we probably scramble to trade back in the draft.

Cleveland Browns - People think they are likely to trade up to take RG3, but why would they. He should be available when the Browns draft #4, with one possible exception.

Tampa Bay - They are not taking a QB. I think they believe in Freeman, and they have other more pressing issues.

Washington Redskins - They may covet RG3, and because of this, they may be our best trading partner. They will want to jump in front of Cleveland, and this could help us out.

I would love to be sitting at #3 and have RG3 on the board still, and sit and wait on offers from Washington and Cleveland. I would play them against each other, telling them our spot is for sale for the right price. We have so many holes that we could get a good player at either of their 2 spots, plus pick up some other picks.

My thoughts, rip as you see fit.

MindCrimes67
01-14-2012, 02:14 AM
I Like where we are sitting also. Whichever way it plays out, we need to draft 2 OL in first 4 picks. Am looking forward to combine this year and see how these rise and fall.. Kalil right now would be tough to pass on though.

Traveling_Vike
01-18-2012, 02:36 PM
I kind of like that scenario as well. If Washington is willing to give us good value, I'd make that trade and see who's still on the board at their #6 slot. Could be Blackmon is still there if the Rams take Kalil.

One thing I would watch out for is the Rams jumping on our trade. They could make a sweet deal with the Browns or Redskins just as well as we could, maybe better. However, if they do this, we can still either get Kalil or trade down further for more picks. Not ideal, but still workable.

No matter how the trading goes, I see us getting either Kalil or extra picks. I can't say I'd be unhappy either way.

LionsFanVisiting
01-19-2012, 10:44 PM
You gotta assume if theres gonna be any trading in the top 10, its gonna be Cleveland and St louis so the Browns can get RGIII. So unless you guys trade, which i only see happening if Cleveland doesnt trade up to #2, I think you can plan seeing Matt Kalil in Minnesota.

mountainviking
01-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Mock Draft 1.0 The Top of the First Round 2012 Through PURPLE Shades
So, looks like Luck goes number 1. And really, after our struggles to field a decent, long term QB solution, I can’t believe they’re Lucky enough to grab him as they are. Pretty sure it’s a Duh.
The Rams really, really, really need a playmaker outside, and they’ve already invested 2 early picks on OTs who happened to join the IR in consecutive weeks in November, so while I realize they allowed the NFL’s worst number of sacks, I think they either go Blackmon or defense. (I keep thinking there’s got to be some big D Linemen who are going to move up the boards with impressive combines.) If they can’t trade back, I think they go Blackmon in a talent fits need decision.
That already takes us to the Vikings. It’s pretty well known that the Browns, who pick next at 4th, are looking to take RG3. But, there are several other teams in the top 15 picks who could use an upgrade at QB as well. I keep thinking the Redskins would like to jump up from 6 to get their QB of the future. Shanahan has made moves to get his QB before and the Rex-Beck combo can’t be his starter again if he hopes to keep his job.
According to the draft trade chart, the difference in value between picking 3rd or 6th is 600. That is just a lil shy of the Redskin’s 7th pick of the 2nd round, 510, so they’d have to give us a lil bit more. Their 4th round pick is worth 88 (also 7th of the round), so that would seal the deal, and give us an extra 2 picks in the top 103 for a total of 5 picks including: 6, 35, 39, 67, 99, and 103 overall!!
So, we’re definitely gambling a lil with who slips through the cracks to 6th, but I think there’s at least a chance that Kalil could still be there, and definitely some other talent available to fill one of our many holes.
The Browns have been trying for years to add a playmaker at WR in the 2nd-4th rounds and failed time after time. Maybe, this time, they can’t afford to wait, and they pounce on the next best WR, who some may feel is a better pick than Blackmon due to size/speed. Notre Dame’s Floyd and South Carolina’s Jeffries both have several inches and close to 20 lbs on Blackmon, while Baylor’s Wright will likely have the top speed available. One of these guys could very well be the 4th pick.
The Bucs only allowed 32 sacks this season, good for 9th best in the NFL. They have an aging CB they could replace with Claiborne, and also lack a true threat at WR, and two of the 3 mentioned above will still be available.
That gets us back to the Vikings where Kalil is hopefully waiting anxiously for us to stop the slide!! While I love what Blackmon and Claiborne could do for the Vikings as well, I think Kalil is the pick that helps us the most, now and long term. He fills a huge hole at LT and gives the us the opportunity to move Charlie Johnson to OG where he’s a better fit, or possibly even RT if Loadholt doesn’t improve. At the worst, Charlie is our multi-backup like Hicks used to be, as he’s played in the system and can likely fill in admirably at both guard and both tackles spots short term.
There is depth available at WR in the draft and free agency, so we can still get that one outside playmaker somewhere. At this point, I’m kinda thinking we try to snag Vincent Jackson, D. Bowe, Reggie Wayne or Carolina’s Steve Smith in free agency, so we have a vet to help our young QBs, and we spend those two early 2nd round picks on some much needed youth and talent in our secondary. Perhaps, one of each, CB and Safety.
In the 3rd and 4th rounds we can get some pretty good talent at OG, and some more rotation for our DL, or possibly a future upgrade at LB.
What do ya think PPO!?? Am I waaaaaaay too hopeful for an early turn around for our team…?

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marrdro
02-05-2012, 08:10 AM
Were did that get them.

Balance win championships my friend not offense. The Giants are the favorites today because they have balance on offense (run and pass) and have a defense that matches up will against the Pats (stops the run and isn't to bad at pressuring the CB that makes up for their secondary woes).

Besides, tell the KC Chiefs you can't stop a high flying offense like the PUKERs. Or hey, how about the Giants, with their balance that they can't stop the PUKERs.

Add a vet LT from SD, a vet WR from SD, move Greenway back to the Will, have Griff drop a few pounds and move to the SAM, start the best MLB (EJ or Jasper), move our LT to G were he is best suited.

Draft a DT, WR, FS, OLB, CB, RB and a low round QB along with some low round OL that can be developed.

Fire Musgrove, or atleast convince him that there is another set other than the 23 and 22. Get some counciling for Cook and let him and Asher (with Griff at the nickel as his knees will be 100% this year) and all your problems will be solved.

Marrdro
02-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Alternate scenario:
1) Indy -- Luck
2) St. Louis --- Kalil

I like the idea of someone coming up to 3 to get RGIII. Really like the Deadskin option as they will have to give us more than Cleveland. Reiff (and even Kalil if he keeps slipping) could be there at 6.

Move back into the first for Ta'amu with the extra picks you just got from Washington, take a Floyd or a Sanu with your 2nd and then sprinkle in depth at LB, OL and Secondary with your 3rd, multiple 4ths.

I'm still a bit torn on getting a rook in at LT right now. Based on how bad Load slipped this year, along with the confusion we saw along the line (especially with Hutch), I'm not so sure we have the coaching staff to develop OLmen right now. Maybe you pass on the LT and draft a DB if Clairborne is there.

Again, that might not be a need if Cook comes back. Asher played well, and regardless of what most think, Griff played pretty damn good considering his knees (atleast one of them) wasn't 100%. He should be fine next year. Griff, Cook and Asher all fit the scheme. I am concerned about a FS though is Hussain doesn't come back.

marshallvike
02-05-2012, 10:46 AM
I like the idea of someone coming up to 3 to get RGIII. Really like the Deadskin option as they will have to give us more than Cleveland. Reiff (and even Kalil if he keeps slipping) could be there at 6.

Move back into the first for Ta'amu with the extra picks you just got from Washington, take a Floyd or a Sanu with your 2nd and then sprinkle in depth at LB, OL and Secondary with your 3rd, multiple 4ths.

I'm still a bit torn on getting a rook in at LT right now. Based on how bad Load slipped this year, along with the confusion we saw along the line (especially with Hutch), I'm not so sure we have the coaching staff to develop OLmen right now. Maybe you pass on the LT and draft a DB if Clairborne is there.

Again, that might not be a need if Cook comes back. Asher played well, and regardless of what most think, Griff played pretty damn good considering his knees (atleast one of them) wasn't 100%. He should be fine next year. Griff, Cook and Asher all fit the scheme. I am concerned about a FS though is Hussain doesn't come back.

I really like the idea of someone moving up to 3 to draft RGIII also, but I do not see St Louis using the pick when they can drop 2 spots and add a second first rounder.

psahni
02-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Probably blowing smoke here but what about trading the 3 spot to Cleveland for their 4 and their young DB Haden -- that guy looks like he'll be a stud but they took him top 10 last year -- i doubt they' give up that much but damn it'd be nice. I'd even be up for giving our 2nd round if we could grab kalil at 4 and end up with haden and only have to give up our 1st and 2nd pick

psahni
02-08-2012, 10:29 AM

I think we need to come to the realization that There are no real playmakers in our secondary. I respectully disagree with your points saying that Asher and Griff should still be on this team. Griff, bless his heart and effort, just doesn't look like he's got the athleticism in those knees anymore and allen has only show that he's a liability ala Benny Sapp.

I hope Hussain isn't back either -- I want a complete overhaul in the secondary. There was nothing not a glimmer of hope anywhere in any game this season that showed me that the secondary was willing to fight or had the capability to play in the NFL as constructed.

I want a DB and a 1st rd pick for trading the the #3 if im the vikings and that's why I like Cleveland as a trading partner or if Washington want's to part with Landry...

tastywaves
02-08-2012, 11:04 AM
I think we need to come to the realization that There are no real playmakers in our secondary. I respectully disagree with your points saying that Asher and Griff should still be on this team. Griff, bless his heart and effort, just doesn't look like he's got the athleticism in those knees anymore and allen has only show that he's a liability ala Benny Sapp.

I hope Hussain isn't back either -- I want a complete overhaul in the secondary. There was nothing not a glimmer of hope anywhere in any game this season that showed me that the secondary was willing to fight or had the capability to play in the NFL as constructed.

I want a DB and a 1st rd pick for trading the the #3 if im the vikings and that's why I like Cleveland as a trading partner or if Washington want's to part with Landry...

I agree with you on our secondary, it is clearly one of the worst in the league. Hard to completely revamp it one year, but picking up some real talent should be a priority. Since Frazier seems dead set on sticking with the cover 2, I would like to see us target a safety that can cover the field and make plays. If we get better play out of the safeties, then physical corners like Griffin, Cook, and Winfield if healthy and out of jail should be able to improve on the play from last year.

Picking up a stud man coverage guy will be wasted if he is forced to play zone and be expected to be as good at stopping the run as the pass.

Middle linebacker should also be addressed if Leslie insists on sticking with traditional cover 2. We need a MLB who is much better in pass coverage to define the middle of the field and help neutralize all the athletic TE's coming into the league. This along with a real athlete playing safety will greatly improve our pass defense. The other key aspect of course (shout to marrdro), is to create consistent pressure with a four man defensive front, which means we probably do need to pick up a DT that can provide push up the middle.

I'm not much of a fan of us sticking with a primarily cover 2 based defense, but if that's what it's going to be, lets get the right talent to be a little more effective with it.

psahni
02-16-2012, 11:17 AM
I can't say that I'm overly thrilled with the decision to stay in tampa 2, the QB play in the NFL is probably better than it's ever been and the holes in the zone are being exploited more and more. Even if we're staying in the system (and I agree a stud MLB would go a long way) I want a lock down corner. We have Jennings and Megatron 4x a year those guys will rip through any tampa 2 (which is designed to stop them) because they are just freakishly good at getting open. Even when Johnson isn't open he's coming down with it over our smaller guys. That's why I want a lockdown corner. Like I said if we give up 3 and our 2nd rd for #4, and Joe Haden I'd be jumping for joy.

tastywaves
02-16-2012, 12:16 PM
I can't say that I'm overly thrilled with the decision to stay in tampa 2, the QB play in the NFL is probably better than it's ever been and the holes in the zone are being exploited more and more. Even if we're staying in the system (and I agree a stud MLB would go a long way) I want a lock down corner. We have Jennings and Megatron 4x a year those guys will rip through any tampa 2 (which is designed to stop them) because they are just freakishly good at getting open. Even when Johnson isn't open he's coming down with it over our smaller guys. That's why I want a lockdown corner. Like I said if we give up 3 and our 2nd rd for #4, and Joe Haden I'd be jumping for joy.

I thought Cook played him pretty well and his size probaby helps against a guy like megatron. Obviously his future is uncertain which puts us in a bad spot.

I've seen a number of mock drafts that show us picking Alfonzo Dennard with our 2nd round pick. This guy looks like a good match for what we would ask the guy to do, however, I would prefer the height of a Kirkpatrick or Claiborne.

Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1630805)

Analysis

Man Coverage: Physical player, tough to get off the line against and willing to mix it up downfield. Fluid hips and good short-area to stay with receivers after initial move. Solid if playing off the line, as well, quick feet allow him to catch up to receivers if failing to get a hand on them initially. Deep speed and recovery speed are average, adding that to below-average height could spell trouble against playmaking NFL receivers downfield. Gets too physical at times, gets flagged for grabbing and holding.

Zone Coverage: Could flourish in zone systems due to closing speed and secure tackling ability. Jumps underneath and slants routes quite well, baiting quarterbacks to throw in his direction. Regularly stands straight up in his backpedal, which causes trouble transitioning when receivers stop their routes short.

Ball Skills: Breaks up passes with hits and by getting his hand on the ball before it arrives at his man. Make acrobatic interceptions by high-pointing or extending for throws, has excellent vertical jump to compensate for lack of height. Runs well with the ball in his hands, capable of winding his way through traffic to the end zone. Inconsistent adjusting to low throws.

Run Support: Often out on an island and not forced to support the run in 2010, but there's no issue with his physicality or willingness to stick his nose into the play. Showed capacity to attack screens and runs to his side as a sophomore, both cutting down and wrapping up ballcarriers reliably. Larger receivers can keep him from getting to the ball, though the effort to beat the block is there.

Tackling: Compact, strong build, tenacity and good closing speed make him a solid tackler on the edge. Rarely misses the tackle to stop receivers they catches passes in front of him in zone or when playing off. Wraps low and holds on to prevent yards after the catch. Good speed and angle gets him credited with tackles while ensuring ballcarriers get to the sideline.

Intangibles: Feisty player who asks to take on bigger number one receivers and likes to talk on the field. Earned more playing time as a junior due to better preparation. Missed most of two games in 2010 with a concussion. Played through a shoulder injury in 2009. Missed the first three games of the 2011 season with a right hamstring pull.

--Chad Reuter

marshallvike
02-27-2012, 08:02 PM
More and more mocks have the Rams taking Kalil. That would suck for us. It doesn't sound like Cleveland is willing to give up much to move up. Washington could easily pick up Flynn or Manning. There is no reason to drop back further than that, which means Spielman may do it.

I'm starting to panic already.

midgensa
02-27-2012, 08:25 PM
More and more mocks have the Rams taking Kalil. That would suck for us. It doesn't sound like Cleveland is willing to give up much to move up. Washington could easily pick up Flynn or Manning. There is no reason to drop back further than that, which means Spielman may do it.

I'm starting to panic already.

That is because more and more mocks do not take trades into account.

RGIII WILL be the second pick of the draft. The Rams have already decided they will trade the pick to the Skins, Browns, Dolphins or some late player according to Adam Schefter. There is just no way the Rams pass on the amount they will likely get offered.

2012 NFL draft -- St. Louis Rams decide to trade No. 2 overall pick, sources say - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7622088/2012-nfl-draft-st-louis-rams-decide-trade-no-2-overall-pick-sources-say)

And if for some crazy reason they do pass and they take Kalil ... then we are in the catbird's seat. We can take RG III and live with it or trade for some picks and be quite happy with that.

But all that aside. Virtually everyone seems to think that Luck will go No. 1 and Griffin will go No. 2. We will get Kalil if that is who we want.

Purple Floyd
02-29-2012, 11:20 PM
We will get Kalil and he will put fans in the seats for years so they can see him block. No sense in drafting a blue chip DB for the worst secondary in NFL history because we don't face any good offenses anyway. Just run the ball and stop the run. That is the recipe for SB domination.

Marrdro
03-01-2012, 01:49 AM

All good points my friend, with one problem, our scheme, by definition, doesn't rely on play makers in the secondary. Their jobs are to keep the plays in front of them and tackle.

The playmakers are our front 4, really our front 7. Those guys need to disrupt/force mistakes, not our DB's.

If you want play makers, we need to not only draft a whole new secondary, but we need to find us a HC and D-Coord who want to run a scheme that puts the onus on the DB's to make plays.

Marrdro
03-01-2012, 02:04 AM
I agree with you on our secondary, it is clearly one of the worst in the league. Hard to completely revamp it one year, but picking up some real talent should be a priority. Since Frazier seems dead set on sticking with the cover 2, I would like to see us target a safety that can cover the field and make plays. If we get better play out of the safeties, then physical corners like Griffin, Cook, and Winfield if healthy and out of jail should be able to improve on the play from last year.

Picking up a stud man coverage guy will be wasted if he is forced to play zone and be expected to be as good at stopping the run as the pass.

Middle linebacker should also be addressed if Leslie insists on sticking with traditional cover 2. We need a MLB who is much better in pass coverage to define the middle of the field and help neutralize all the athletic TE's coming into the league. This along with a real athlete playing safety will greatly improve our pass defense. The other key aspect of course (shout to marrdro), is to create consistent pressure with a four man defensive front, which means we probably do need to pick up a DT that can provide push up the middle.

I'm not much of a fan of us sticking with a primarily cover 2 based defense, but if that's what it's going to be, lets get the right talent to be a little more effective with it.

I'd like to see them move Griff (Everson type) to the SAM, move Chad back to the WILL, and see what Jasper can do as the Mike if EJ doesn't come back.

Most of our problems, from the LB'rs corps, last year was directly related to Chad moving. I'm not sure who the rocket scientist was that made that decision, but it probably was made by the same cat who couldn't win the the 9rs roster he had, that almost made it to the SB this year.

Adding a S would be nice. Problem is, I think we won't look at one until the 4th round. There are a couple of nice kids that should be there, but again, 4th rounders usually aren't starters.

Been saying it for years (atleast 3), we can fix most of our defenses problems by getting a big warpig that can play the 0/1 tech. Good thing for us, there are 5 of them in this draft and one should still be available either in the second or third rounds. My guess is the staff saw enough of Ta'amu in the senior bowl (he was a one man wrecking crew the reps he got) that they might try to get him, but I think they might gamble and wait until the 3rd to see if he's there.

First three picks of Kalil, Sanu (or Toon), and Ta'amu would make my stecker pick up......:)

Use the other picks you have to add a S, CB, another WR, G, MLB and for heavens sake A KICKER.....and it would/will be a good draft.

Going out and getting another vet WR like Garcon would free up the need to use 2 picks on WR's so you could add a RB or a TE in there as well.

Marrdro
03-01-2012, 02:13 AM
Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1630805)
I have seen a few that have us taking a kid by the name of Josh Norman in the 3rd/4th. He sure looked good in the E/W Shrine game and seems to have moved up most boards. Like Alfonzo, he is best suited to play either a C2 or a Press/Zone scheme and would be a good fit in our scheme.

Overview

Though recruited by some bigger schools, Josh Norman followed his All-American older brother Marrio to Coastal Carolina, signing with the Chanticleer's as a non-scholarship walk-on. Proving himself to be an immediate standout, Norman started seven of the 12 games of his freshman season and all 34 the rest of the way, earning all-conference accolades after each of his final three seasons and a All-American honors as a sophomore and senior. Norman exploded onto the scene in 2009 by shattering the Big South league record and tying for second in the country with eight interceptions. Not surprisingly teams were much more hesitant to throw the ball in his direction over the next two years. He left CCU with 196 tackles (including seven tackes for loss), 35 passes broken up and 13 interceptions over his career. Strong efforts at the East-West Shrine Game and Senior Bowl eased any concerns scouts may have had about Norman's ability to play with the big boys. With his length, athleticism and natural ball skills, Norman will be highly valued by press cover teams and could earn a top 75 pick -- or higher -- if he times well at the Combine.

Analysis

Strengths: Long-armed press corner with size, athleticism and ball skills. Gets an effective jab on the receiver and has loose enough hips to turn and run. Good agility and balance when shadowing his target. Competitive player. Plays the ball as if it was thrown for him, showing burst back to the ball as well as good timing for the jump ball. Good hand-eye coordination. Rips the ball out of the hands of receivers as they grasp at it (35 career PBUs) and shows good hands to make the interception (13 career INTs). Possesses long arms (32.5) and can extend and snatch the ball as well as track the ball over his shoulder. Cagey. Will bait quarterbacks to throw in his direction and shows a surprising burst downhill. Alert run defender willing to take on and discard receiver blockers to get to the action. Enjoyed a strong week of practice at the East-West Shrine Game and and a late call-up to the Senior as an injury replacement, impressive in both environments … Big play artist on special teams, registering a school-record four blocked kicks …
Weaknesses: At his best in press-man coverage as he has a high backpedal and loses a step turning without a cushion. Plays with adequate speed but there are concerns about his ability to handle the truly explosive speedsters of the NFL. Makes himself vulnerable to big plays on occassion by attempting to bait the quarterback. Was arrested in October 2009 for driving with a suspended license.

Josh Norman, Coastal Carolina, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1731084/josh-norman)

On a side note, I like the number of "Bigger" CB's coming out this year. Mix in the FS's that are coming out that are also being projected in as C2 CB's (that are big) and I think we can find a couple of gems if Cook and Griff can't come back.

On a side side note.....Whinny has to go.

Johnson14
03-03-2012, 04:56 AM

What Nodak said... though because it looks so hard to mess this one up, I dont put it past the FO to try!

drakkar
03-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Take Kalil at 3, and there is a possibility that Janoris Jenkins could slip to the 2nd. Kid had some arrests but he shut down AJ Green and Jeffrey at florida. NFL Network said some teams took him off their draft boards which could really help us out..

jmcdon00
03-05-2012, 09:53 AM
We will get Kalil and he will put fans in the seats for years so they can see him block. No sense in drafting a blue chip DB for the worst secondary in NFL history because we don't face any good offenses anyway. Just run the ball and stop the run. That is the recipe for SB domination.
No doubt we need help in the secondary, but we also need help on the O-line just as badly.
Comes down to BPA, and Kalil is most likely the BPA and fills a need.

tastywaves
03-05-2012, 11:02 AM
No doubt we need help in the secondary, but we also need help on the O-line just as badly.
Comes down to BPA, and Kalil is most likely the BPA and fills a need.

I would have to agree. If the choice is between Kalil and Claiborne, I think you have to take Kalil. His impact may be harder to measure, but I think it will solve more problems than what Claiborne will in our defense. I would not be disappointed by Claiborne by any means, he is a great talent, I'm just not sure he would get to play to his strengths in MN.

rednorsk
03-06-2012, 09:55 AM
You are assuming that Spielman has a brain!!!