PDA

View Full Version : Vikings officially hold the #3 overall pick

b_sandhar_29
01-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Seems finalized after the Colts and Rams game. Feel free to discuss the direction we take in this upcoming draft.

Purple Floyd
01-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Spend it on a kicker.

SIUviking
01-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Trade the 3rd pick to the Browns if possible or someone really wanting Robert Griffin. Get a OT, CB and then Dwayne Bowe in FA. Or just draft BPA. We need just about everything right now.

Reignman
01-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Oh man I can't wait to see how we mess up such a valuable pick lol. Hey we've manage to screw up everything else the past couple seasons so why not keep the screw ups coming? No but seriously we don't have a real GM, a bunch of knuckleheads in the FO, a coach that hasn't done anything to show us he knows what he's doing, so yeah, what could go wrong? This franchise is a disaster from top to bottom so nothing will surprise me. The off season will be interesting none the less.

jmcdon00
01-02-2012, 12:29 AM
I'd start by protecting Ponder.

Purple Floyd
01-02-2012, 06:36 AM
Hopefully we get the next DJ Dozier or hit big with the next Darrin Nelson while we leave the next Marcus Allen on the board.

Ranger
01-02-2012, 09:20 AM
We definitely need to draft another running back. Gotta stockpile first rounds picks to sit behind AD.

We should really focus on the O-line and secondary. The line and it's 'backers aren't killing us.

skum
01-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Needs

OT
S
CB
WR
DT
OG

RB? - Depends on Adrian and Toby's injuries
TE? - Will we retain Shiancoe?
FB? - Is D'Imperio good enough

Hope we get Kalil, the dream pick..

midgensa
01-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Trade the 3rd pick to the Browns if possible or someone really wanting Robert Griffin. Get a OT, CB and then Dwayne Bowe in FA. Or just draft BPA. We need just about everything right now.

I am not picking on you ... there are plenty of others ... but why is there a contingent of people around here that think there is ANY chance we get Dwayne Bowe or Vincent Jackson?

Truth is ... it is unlikely either one of those players is not on the team they are currently on next season. Bigger truth is ... IF they get to hit the market ... why the hell would they come play in Minnesota?

I have no problem trading the pick to the Redskins or the Browns if they want to come up and get RGIII. I would say that we need to get at minimum their first and third ... and maybe their first and second to do this depending on how high we are on who we can nab at No. 3. If Kalil gets past the Rams, then it will be very tough for us to pass on him.

wingman49
01-02-2012, 01:46 PM
The Vikings need Safeties, CB's anyone who can stop the pass. This has always been a weakness with the Vikings.

Purple Floyd
01-02-2012, 09:16 PM
I am watching the Fiesta Bowl and just fell in love with the idea of drafting Justin Blackmon. I actually wanted to watch the game to see Luck, who has looked great but man, Blackmon is just plain dominant.

TheAnimal93
01-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Whatever the Vikes do, it needs to be monumental. Need to hit the home run this draft. every round. Get it done.

Granville1906
01-02-2012, 09:52 PM
amen... I am tired of sucking. We f$#*(&R$ the draft last year.

MossMems
01-02-2012, 11:12 PM
If Kalil isnt there at 3rd we trade down. Someones going to want RG3...and will spend alot to get him. We could get a good tackle and a FLoyd, maybe Jeffery.

i_bleed_purple
01-02-2012, 11:45 PM
If Kalil isnt there at 3rd we trade down. Someones going to want RG3...and will spend alot to get him. We could get a good tackle and a FLoyd, maybe Jeffery.

Notta chance. If Blackmon is there we're stupid not to take him. The best WR in the country. big, fast, great hands, exactly what we need.

snowinapril
01-03-2012, 12:50 AM
I heard that Hutch might retire due to concussions. We seem to have been run blocking well. We allowed the 28th most sacks. I think that the OL is super important. With teams like NO, GB, Det, and NE putting up so many points on all defenses, it makes me think defense is not that important. Our defense just needs to me consistent. I can't say we did a great job on D, we did have a lot of injuries in the secondary.

You have to have some luck in a draft. Cam wasn't a consensus number one pick, nobody knew he would be a 4,000 yard passes and break rookie records. Luck is suppose to be a consensus number one pick, he probably won't be breaking rookie records.

We need to score more points than GB and Det. We aren't going to add enough to our D in one draft to slow or throw them off their juggernaut offenses. WE ARE REBUILDING, NEED A VISION and draft towards that goal of how we are going to stop them. This is a multi-year process.

jargomcfargo
01-03-2012, 12:56 AM
I heard that Hutch might retire due to concussions. We seem to have been run blocking well. We allowed the 28th most sacks. I think that the OL is super important. With teams like NO, GB, Det, and NE putting up so many points on all defenses, it makes me think defense is not that important. Our defense just needs to me consistent. I can't say we did a great job on D, we did have a lot of injuries in the secondary.

You have to have some luck in a draft. Cam wasn't a consensus number one pick, nobody knew he would be a 4,000 yard passes and break rookie records. Luck is suppose to be a consensus number one pick, he probably won't be breaking rookie records.

We need to score more points than GB and Det. We aren't going to add enough to our D in one draft to slow or throw them off their juggernaut offenses. WE ARE REBUILDING, NEED A VISION and draft towards that goal of how we are going to stop them. This is a multi-year process.
One thing seems certain,Ponder wont last another season of pounding like he got this season.
He was a different player at the end of the season than when he first started.

NodakPaul
01-03-2012, 08:10 AM
One thing seems certain,Ponder wont last another season of pounding like he got this season.
He was a different player at the end of the season than when he first started.

Amen.

Zeus
01-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Notta chance. If Blackmon is there we're stupid not to take him. The best WR in the country. big, fast, great hands, exactly what we need.

Shiny Hood Ornament Theory at it's worst right there.

A CHFF theory elevated to Man Law | Cold Hard Football Facts (http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3677_A_CHFF_theory_elevated_to_Man_Law.html)

=Z=

Flidais
01-03-2012, 11:42 AM

Even though I love me my offensive linemen, I wouldn't be opposed to Blackmon. However, I keep seeing these comments that he's big. I dunno. I wouldn't have thought 6 foot 1 inch, 211 lbs to be big. (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/players/166655)

tastywaves
01-03-2012, 11:47 AM

A CHFF theory elevated to Man Law | Cold Hard Football Facts (http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3677_A_CHFF_theory_elevated_to_Man_Law.html)

=Z=

Pretty good read, but probably won't be given much credence to folks who still long for the Moss era.

QB, OL and then WR sounds about right for achieving a decent passing game. A decent OC wouldn't hurt as well, but as we've seen a number of times, the great QB's will find a way to be successful.

I think Ponder has a chance at being a franchise guy, but don't know if I am certain enough about it to let a Luck or RGIII go by if available.

Trading down isn't out of the question, if you can get the right picks to make it work.

I would still make the pick based on what the talent evaluators indicate is the BPA. Don't just take the best OL, WR, or CB available, take the player that has the best chance at truly being great and he will instantly upgrade those around him.

Purple Floyd
01-03-2012, 12:32 PM

=Z=

What a dumbass:

Even the greatest receivers of all time can make a big impact only when all those pieces are in place, and even then the impact is largely overstated. Even the great Jerry Rice, for example, touched the ball just four to five times per game.

How the hell do you get over 100 receptions a year and only touch it 5 times a game?

16x5=80.

And hell, if you only touch it 5 a game that is more than an OL touches it in a season.

One more step to access Purplepride.org Minnesota Vikings Message Board - The Front Page (http://www.purplepride.org)
CAPTCHA:
http://www.google.com/recaptcha/api/image?c=03AHJ_Vuv9PQRsCDimdOUiF1XLhF3am9BWb7jkbopw08hOoSxaV1C972xWlKe7aZbY4y2-2TzI1Kn1Q7xmWtuv7dTdGvIrRDAM-IqsZnJb26eeJ27iMOLpKm9jIqPbPiowAhy8nAFAUOh5GWj65HIF9d0QYw3ckpCvIg

Optional message for site owner (100 characters max):

http://cdn-static.cloudflare.com/images/thumbs/458-www.purplepride.org.png

View advanced details and evidence regarding your restriction
Your action has triggered the website's security system because of a phrase or content in your submission. Often automated bots will try to post spam campaigns (like ads for Rolex watches or medications) or injection attacks on websites. This website is taking precaution to stop these automated threats. If you are reading this, then you are likely a human trying to post a comment or log in to the website. Continue by entering the CAPTCHA.

What happened?The security system for this website has been triggered because of a phrase or content in your submission. If you are reading this, you are most likely a human visitor trying to log in or post a comment that triggered the system.

When will this restriction go away?This restriction will disappear when no more harmful behavior is detected. Completing the challenge above proves you are a human and gives you temporary access. You can ask the website owner to permanently whitelist you.
Note: your actions have been logged.

Your IP: 97.186.117.123 (http://projecthoneypot.org/ip_97.186.117.123) Help (http://www.cloudflare.com/help) Performance & Security by CloudFlare (https://www.cloudflare.com/)

jmcdon00
01-03-2012, 12:54 PM
I am watching the Fiesta Bowl and just fell in love with the idea of drafting Justin Blackmon. I actually wanted to watch the game to see Luck, who has looked great but man, Blackmon is just plain dominant.
To me he is a Michael Crabtree clone. Dominant in college, but just an average number 1 in the pros. I don't see him in the same class as a Megatron, fitzgerald, or andre Johnson. I wouldn't take him at number 3.

Zeus
01-03-2012, 01:01 PM
What a dumbass:

How the hell do you get over 100 receptions a year and only touch it 5 times a game?

16x5=80.

And hell, if you only touch it 5 a game that is more than an OL touches it in a season

Jerry Rice played 303 games in his career and had 1549 receptions - or 5.11 per game.

Sorry to confuse the issue with actual valid statistics.

Here's a question for you: what round did the top WR in # of catches in 2011 get drafted?

=Z=

jmcdon00
01-03-2012, 01:05 PM
I am not picking on you ... there are plenty of others ... but why is there a contingent of people around here that think there is ANY chance we get Dwayne Bowe or Vincent Jackson?

Truth is ... it is unlikely either one of those players is not on the team they are currently on next season. Bigger truth is ... IF they get to hit the market ... why the hell would they come play in Minnesota?

I'm pretty sure they are both going to be free agents, so I don't think it's a stretch to think 1 or both could go to another team.
As far as why would they come here, one reason, money. In recent years we saw Brandon Marshall go to Miami, and last year Sydney Rice went to Seattle, not exactly dream jobs.

Dibbzz
01-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Well after his outstanding performance last night against a tough Cardinals defense, I wouldn't complain if we took Blackmon at #3. It would give Ponder a huge target to throw to and besides, as good as Kalil is there are other good Tackles we can take in round 2. Obviously if Kalil is there we should take him but I think St. Louis needs to protect Bradford and they're looking like they're gonna draft a lineman. Blackmon just to me seems like he has a winning attitude and not the prima donna type i.e. Randy Moss or Terrell Owens. When OK State was down 14-0 he was in the huddle trying to motivate his teammates to get back into this game. It'll be tough because the Vikes need so much help on both sides of the ball, but at #3 IMHO Blackmon is the BPA.

i_bleed_purple
01-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Well after his outstanding performance last night against a tough Cardinals defense

Who are the Cardinals?

vikinggreg
01-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Who are the Cardinals?

Stanford Cardinals........named after the color not the bird :crazy:

midgensa
01-03-2012, 03:11 PM

I agree with this. Just posted a similar thing in another thread.

He is just TOO good to pass up. I remember people saying we should pass on AD because we had Chester Taylor and he was good enough. You don't pass on great unless there is something else great to take. The only player close to Kalil, Luck and Blackmon is Claiborne ... so if we pass on Blackmon to take Claiborne ... I am not going to throw a fit.

If we pass on Blackmon for a "need" like a reach for a OL or some other position ... we will look like the morons we truly are for years to come.

kevoncox
01-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Jerry Rice played 303 games in his career and had 1549 receptions - or 5.11 per game.

Here's a question for you: what round did the top WR in # of catches in 2011 get drafted?

=Z=

Cause # of catches is the best factor to determine the top WR. I'm sure things like the system used, playing from behind vs. ahead, injury to QB etc. has nothing to do with the number of catches a QB has. However, to answer your shortsighted and obviously skewed question....
West Welker was undrafted.....which means we should skip the draft process completely (O_o) and just sign the left over scraps to create the ultimate team.

1) The most productive WRs in the league are drafted in the late first round. sure you have a few undrafted guys and those in round 2-7 in there but that's the point. For ever guy you name that was drafted in rounds 2-7, i can name one drafted in the top 32 picks. You have to use a sample of over 300+ picks just to break even with my 32. When this is repeated over a 10 year span, I am comparing a total of 320 picks to your 3,000 picks. Do you see why this is :hump:.

2) Teams do not trade/release Wrs that are not head cases ( the exception being Welker but do you think our brain trust can find a guy like him AND out smart another team to trade him for a pile of beans). You will not find value about WRs available on the free agent market. it doesn't happen. You will only find guys that are over the hill or come with baggage. You have to draft WRs and as I have already proven, the best come in the late first round.

3)We need a serious injection of talent at the WR position. Look what Green did with the Bengals this season. We have no one to take the pressure off our QB and that is why he gets hit and knocked out of games like he does. I question whether speilmen's new position will allow him to see the big picture. This is no longer about the now. It's about the long term. If it is he needs to make a drastic move at the QB position. We have a Qb that has been knocked out of 3 games in his first season. Injury prone.

Purple Floyd
01-03-2012, 10:13 PM

He played for 20 years slapnuts. The first year and the final 3 years skewed the averages. Take the stats per game in his prime and see if that makes the light bulb in your melon light up.

=Z=

Are you Marty's brother or something?

Here is an answer for you- I don't give a shit enough to look it up. I do know the top 2 WR's on the Vikings roster were both 1st round draft picks though if it makes you feel any better.

But since we are in the ? asking mode- What round did the top teams in the NFL draft their LT?

And how many teams that won a SB in the past 30 years had a LT that they personally drafted with a top 5 pick?

kevoncox
01-03-2012, 10:25 PM
How I would fix the offense
First lets talk money and freeing up some Cap.
Gone are:

Hutch's - 7 million
Herrera's - 3 million
Sauces -3 million
Shanks - 3 million
Mac's contract is not completely off the books.

Defense
Winfield's - 8 mi
EJ's 6 millon
--------------
A total of 30 million freed up, which doesn't mean we will have 30 million of free cap but I would bet that we would be around 22 million under the cap.

OL
1) Sign Demetrius Bell (LT Buffalo) (about 5.5 million a year)
2) Move Johnson inside to Guard
3) Move Load Inside to RG.
4) Cut Herrera
5) Draft Riley Reiff/ Jonathan Martin ( trade back from 3rd to 10th for an extra 3rd this draft and a 2nd/ 3rd next season) (2.5 million)

WR
1) Keep Jenkins, Devin, Harvin,
2) Sign Edwards depending on health (or E. Doucet) (2 million for 2 years 1 million a year)
3) Sign Steve Smith depending on health (or E. Doucet) ( 10 million over 4 years 2.5 million a year)
4) Draft Alshon Jeffery/ Rueben Randle at the top of the 2nd round. ( 500K)
5) Hopefully our Starters would be Harvin and Smith with Harvin in the slot in 3rd wr slots.

TE
1) Shanc walks
2) Martelles Bennett is signed. ( 7 million - 3 years (2.3 million a year)

Rbs.
Cut who ever we have at FB
Sign Owen Schmit ( 750K per year 4 year deal)
Sign Steve Slayton ( 1 million a year (3)

QB
We made our Beds now lay in it.

Chazz
01-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Year Player Pick Starts TDs Pro Bowls Wonder's Grade
2000 Peter Warrick 4 60 18 7
Plaxico Burress 8 139 55 2
Travis Taylor 10 90 22 6
Sylvester Morris 21 14 3 7
R. J. Soward 29 2 1 7
2001 David Terrell 8 30 9 6
Koren Robinson 9 70 16 1 4
Rod Gardner 15 62 23 7
Santana Moss 16 105 46 2 3
Freddie Mitchell 25 17 5 6
Reggie Wayne 30 128 63 4 1
2002 D Stallworth 13 60 32 4
Ashley Lelie 19 59 15 4
Javon Walker 20 46 31 1 3
2003 Charles Rogers 2 9 4 7
Andre Johnson 3 102 42 5 1
Bryant Johnson 17 67 15 4
2004 Larry Fitzgerald 3 92 59 5 1
Roy Williams 7 75 37 1 4
Reggie Williams 9 53 18 5
Lee Evans 13 89 39 2
Michael Clayton 15 56 10 4
Michael Jenkins 29 55 18 5
Rashaun Woods 31 0 1 7
2005 Braylon Edwards 5 69 32 1 2
Troy Williamson 7 24 4 5
Mike Williams 10 7 2 7
Matt Jones 21 15 15 4
Mark Clayton 22 59 12 4
Roddy White 27 59 27 2 2
2006 Santonio Holmes 25 48 20 2
2007 Calvin Johnson 2 40 21 1
Ted Ginn 9 35 5 6
Dwayne Bowe 23 40 16 3
Robert Meachem 27 10 12 3
Craig Davis 30 1 1 7
A Gonzalez 32 12 7 3
2009 D Heyward-Bey 7 11 1 5
Michael Crabtree 10 11 2 3
Jeremy Maclin 19 13 4 3
Percy Harvin 22 8 6 2
Hakeem Nicks 29 6 6 3
Kenny Britt 30 6 3 3

Not exactly an AWE inspiring list. How many Super Bowls have these WR's brought to the team that drafted them??

kevoncox
01-03-2012, 10:57 PM
Year Player Pick Starts TDs Pro Bowls Wonder's Grade
2000 Peter Warrick 4 60 18 7
Plaxico Burress 8 139 55 2
Travis Taylor 10 90 22 6
Sylvester Morris 21 14 3 7
R. J. Soward 29 2 1 7
2001 David Terrell 8 30 9 6
Koren Robinson 9 70 16 1 4
Rod Gardner 15 62 23 7
Santana Moss 16 105 46 2 3
Freddie Mitchell 25 17 5 6
Reggie Wayne 30 128 63 4 1
2002 D Stallworth 13 60 32 4
Ashley Lelie 19 59 15 4
Javon Walker 20 46 31 1 3
2003 Charles Rogers 2 9 4 7
Andre Johnson 3 102 42 5 1
Bryant Johnson 17 67 15 4
2004 Larry Fitzgerald 3 92 59 5 1
Roy Williams 7 75 37 1 4
Reggie Williams 9 53 18 5
Lee Evans 13 89 39 2
Michael Clayton 15 56 10 4
Michael Jenkins 29 55 18 5
Rashaun Woods 31 0 1 7
Troy Williamson 7 24 4 5
Mike Williams 10 7 2 7
Matt Jones 21 15 15 4
Mark Clayton 22 59 12 4
Roddy White 27 59 27 2 2
2006 Santonio Holmes 25 48 20 2
2007 Calvin Johnson 2 40 21 1
Ted Ginn 9 35 5 6
Dwayne Bowe 23 40 16 3
Robert Meachem 27 10 12 3
Craig Davis 30 1 1 7
A Gonzalez 32 12 7 3
2009 D Heyward-Bey 7 11 1 5
Michael Crabtree 10 11 2 3
Jeremy Maclin 19 13 4 3
Percy Harvin 22 8 6 2
Hakeem Nicks 29 6 6 3
Kenny Britt 30 6 3 3

Not exactly an AWE inspiring list. How many Super Bowls have these WR's brought to the team that drafted them??

We have already shown that their are more bust at OT than WRs in the first rounds.
The fact remains that WR is no bigger a bust position than any other.

snowinapril
01-04-2012, 01:10 AM
Gone are:

Hutch's - 7 million
Herrera's - 3 million
Sauces -3 million
Shanks - 3 million

Defense
Winfield's - 8 mi
EJ's 6 millon
--------------
A total of 30 million freed up, which doesn't mean we will have 30 million of free cap but I would bet that we would be around 22 million under the cap.

OL
4) Cut Herrera
5) Draft Riley Reiff/ Jonathan Martin ( trade back from 3rd to 10th for an extra 3rd this draft and a 2nd/ 3rd next season) (2.5 million)

WR
2) Sign Edwards depending on health (or E. Doucet) (2 million for 2 years 1 million a year)
3) Sign Steve Smith depending on health (or E. Doucet) ( 10 million over 4 years 2.5 million a year)
5) Hopefully our Starters would be Harvin and Smith with Harvin in the slot in 3rd wr slots.

TE
1) Shanc walks

Rbs.

QB

You are our new GM! Some slight upgrades here and there and you have an improved team.

The QB thing, I am willing to give the kid another chance. If he gets hurt, I like watching Webb purely for the thrill of it.

kevoncox
01-04-2012, 07:34 AM
You are our new GM! Some slight upgrades here and there and you have an improved team.

The QB thing, I am willing to give the kid another chance. If he gets hurt, I like watching Webb purely for the thrill of it.
Griffen can be your type of QB then? He is said to be as explosive as Webb but a much better passer.

midgensa
01-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Gone are:

Hutch's - 7 million
Herrera's - 3 million
Sauces -3 million
Shanks - 3 million

Defense
Winfield's - 8 mi
EJ's 6 millon
--------------

OL
4) Cut Herrera

WR

TE
1) Shanc walks

Rbs.

QB
Winfield's salary next year is only $3 million (Clause triggered in Antoine Winfield's contract alters compensation - Minnesota Vikings news | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Clause_triggered_in_Antoine_Winfields_contract_reducing_2012_salary121211)) so no need to cut him.

I do not like the signing of Steve Slaton at all honestly. Though I love the signing of Owen Schmitt.
I have no desire to see Braylon Edwards here, but for a bargain rate would not complain. I would LOVE to see us make a play for Early Doucet, but we would have to overpay to entice him I think. Bennett would be a nice compliment to Rudolph at TE.
I don't dislike that trade back proposal that much, but I would also not mind seeing us take Claiborne, Blackmon or Kalil at No. 3.The Demetrius Bell signing would be a HUGE move if it was pulled off because he is very solid. I would like the move regardless of Kalil falling in our laps. I would REALLY love our line with Kalil AND Bell.
EJ obviously has to go. I also think that Hutch could be a cap casualty, but would not hate to see us keep him around for another year.

All in all ... some decent ideas there. Realistic at least (tired of all the "Go get Dwayne Bowe" talk around these parts).

Chazz
01-04-2012, 03:14 PM
We have already shown that their are more bust at OT than WRs in the first rounds.
The fact remains that WR is no bigger a bust position than any other.

Detroit would beg to differ. We truly have become Detroit if we spend our first pick on WR every year.

kevoncox
01-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Detroit would beg to differ. We truly have become Detroit if we spend our first pick on WR every year.

WHo have we spent our 1st round pick on?
Harvin in 2009. You are complaining that we are drafting another WR in the first round 3 years later?
Have you noticed no one is ever open? We have no one that makes plays for us besides Percy. Have you noticed that the packers aren't afraid to draft WRS ever single draft with 1st and 2nd round picks? Have you noticed we suck and anyone added will help this team :flame:

kevoncox
01-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Winfield's salary next year is only $3 million (Clause triggered in Antoine Winfield's contract alters compensation - Minnesota Vikings news | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Clause_triggered_in_Antoine_Winfields_contract_reducing_2012_salary121211)) so no need to cut him.

I do not like the signing of Steve Slaton at all honestly. Though I love the signing of Owen Schmitt.
I have no desire to see Braylon Edwards here, but for a bargain rate would not complain. I would LOVE to see us make a play for Early Doucet, but we would have to overpay to entice him I think. Bennett would be a nice compliment to Rudolph at TE.
I don't dislike that trade back proposal that much, but I would also not mind seeing us take Claiborne, Blackmon or Kalil at No. 3.The Demetrius Bell signing would be a HUGE move if it was pulled off because he is very solid. I would like the move regardless of Kalil falling in our laps. I would REALLY love our line with Kalil AND Bell.
EJ obviously has to go. I also think that Hutch could be a cap casualty, but would not hate to see us keep him around for another year.

All in all ... some decent ideas there. Realistic at least (tired of all the "Go get Dwayne Bowe" talk around these parts).

I keep forgetting his salary dropped. However, Would you rather keep him...or sign someone like Carlos Rogers or Brent Grimes for 5 million a year?

Also Kalil will be good but look our for the guy I mentioned... He is going to shoot up draft boards. He hasn't declared but he will be a top 10 pick.

bleedpurple
01-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Loadholt is too tall to play Guard. I like grimes and Rogers too....

kevoncox
01-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Loadholt is too tall to play Guard. I like grimes and Rogers too....
You do realize that Carl Nicks is 6'5? What's 3 inches. Especially when Dree Brees is 6'0 compared to Ponder at 6'2.

Chazz
01-05-2012, 03:30 PM
WHo have we spent our 1st round pick on?
Harvin in 2009. You are complaining that we are drafting another WR in the first round 3 years later?
Have you noticed no one is ever open? We have no one that makes plays for us besides Percy. Have you noticed that the packers aren't afraid to draft WRS ever single draft with 1st and 2nd round picks? Have you noticed we suck and anyone added will help this team :flame:

Get your facts straight before you're condescending in ignorant self-righteousness.

midgensa
01-05-2012, 03:51 PM
You do realize that Carl Nicks is 6'5? What's 3 inches. Especially when Dree Brees is 6'0 compared to Ponder at 6'2.

Loadholt would be really big to play guard. His height would be a issue. I am not totally against trying it in the right situation, he would have to be the right guard, because throwing the other way with that height in his way would not work for Ponder.

I personally don't love it. He is just a tough spot. He is too large to play tackle real effectively ... and he might just be too tall to play guard effectively. But I would be for giving him a shot.

Speaking of Nicks ... lets go get him and not have to worry much about this discussion.

kevoncox
01-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Loadholt would be really big to play guard. His height would be a issue. I am not totally against trying it in the right situation, he would have to be the right guard, because throwing the other way with that height in his way would not work for Ponder.

I personally don't love it. He is just a tough spot. He is too large to play tackle real effectively ... and he might just be too tall to play guard effectively. But I would be for giving him a shot.

Speaking of Nicks ... lets go get him and not have to worry much about this discussion.

Everyone says that but the difference in height between Brees and Nicks and Ponder and Loadholt is comparable.

i_bleed_purple
01-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Everyone says that but the difference in height between Brees and Nicks and Ponder and Loadholt is comparable.

As well, when you're a QB, you're playing straight up. Ponder stands at 6'2".

When playing guard, you should be in a low stance to get leverage. I'm only 5'8", but in a blocking stance I'm below 5' easily, Load SHOULD be under 6' while blocking. If he's playing proper technique, he should be the lowest guy, so really, height isn't an issue as the DL player will be playing higher than Load will.

I'm content with someone who can actually block at RG, I dont' care if he's not the ideal height. Just block the damn guy. I'm sure AP/Gerhart won't mind that he's a tall mofo.

kevoncox
01-07-2012, 04:39 PM

When playing guard, you should be in a low stance to get leverage. I'm only 5'8", but in a blocking stance I'm below 5' easily, Load SHOULD be under 6' while blocking. If he's playing proper technique, he should be the lowest guy, so really, height isn't an issue as the DL player will be playing higher than Load will.

I'm content with someone who can actually block at RG, I dont' care if he's not the ideal height. Just block the damn guy. I'm sure AP/Gerhart won't mind that he's a tall mofo.
Agreed. DO you worry about a few missed throws a season or having your QB constantly pounded?

Purple Floyd
01-08-2012, 08:46 AM
As well, when you're a QB, you're playing straight up .

When was the last time we had a QB who played straight up? It seems to me they spend at least as much time flat on their back. lol

i_bleed_purple
01-08-2012, 12:15 PM
When was the last time we had a QB who played straight up? It seems to me they spend at least as much time flat on their back. lol

Daunte Culpepper in the early 2000's?

Purple Floyd
01-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Daunte Culpepper in the early 2000's?

Yep. That was what I was thinking. The last time we had a decent OL

12purplepride28
01-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Yep. That was what I was thinking. The last time we had a decent OL

Yet you want to take Blackmon over Kalil.

bleedpurple
01-17-2012, 03:53 PM

I dont' think there are any guards in the NFL that are 6'8... I think he's too big to play guard.. regardless of how tall Nicks/Ponder/Loadholt comparison is... When your 6'8.. that's a pretty big guy to be throwing over... Ponder would have a hard time seeing over him, not only bc he's tall but bc he's large and wide as well... Then when you add in the fact that he has to throw to a 5'11 (generously speaking) Percy harvin... Your asking a helluva lot of a guy... Even if he could see over Loadholt, which he might not be able to, he definately wouldn't be able to see Percy... Same reason we didn't want Cook to play center...

VikingMike
01-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Mayock now has Riley Reiff as #1 OT over Kalil.

midgensa
01-24-2012, 10:32 PM

Mayock always goes nuts about this time of year and starts rating people funny. Not sure if he really believes it or if he is trying to generate page views/readership/listeners.

Reiff is a solid prospect, as is Martin ... by Kalil will be the top OT barring him just flaming completely out at combine/pro-day.

mountainviking
01-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Interesting. Of course, there's going to be lots of moving and shaking of these rankings as the combine, pro-days, interviews etc roll on by...couple of combine superstars moving up, couple of red-flag players slipping down.

Troy Williamson 7 24 4 5
Mike Williams 10 7 2 7
Matt Jones 21 15 15 4
Mark Clayton 22 59 12 4
Roddy White 27 59 27 2 2

Can you even believe that long list of losers!?!?? OUCH! Roddy White slipped below those guys?!??

I think we are still paying for that draft today. We traded Moss for a chance at a big draft and totally wasted the whole freaking thing!

As much as our season sucked, you gotta love the position we're coming into this draft with! Two top-tier QBs attracting trade attention, AND a trio of player-fits-need guys in Blackmon, Kalil, and Claiborne guarantees somebody will still be there at 3 if we don't like the offers that are coming in!

BAAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Now, just don't screw it up!! D'oh! ;)-

i_bleed_purple
01-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Interesting. Of course, there's going to be lots of moving and shaking of these rankings as the combine, pro-days, interviews etc roll on by...couple of combine superstars moving up, couple of red-flag players slipping down.

Can you even believe that long list of losers!?!?? OUCH! Roddy White slipped below those guys?!??

I think we are still paying for that draft today. We traded Moss for a chance at a big draft and totally wasted the whole freaking thing!

As much as our season sucked, you gotta love the position we're coming into this draft with! Two top-tier QBs attracting trade attention, AND a trio of player-fits-need guys in Blackmon, Kalil, and Claiborne guarantees somebody will still be there at 3 if we don't like the offers that are coming in!

BAAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Now, just don't screw it up!! D'oh! ;)-

And we'll trade down for a DE.

midgensa
01-26-2012, 02:43 PM
And we'll trade down for a DE.

And Marty will be thrilled and discuss how this will help cover for Jared Allen's slipping abilities.

marshallvike
01-26-2012, 04:36 PM
And Marty will be thrilled and discuss how this will help cover for Jared Allen's slipping abilities.

Unfortunately, we may not hear anything from him. He seems to have been driven off. Following many good longtime PPO posters. I will miss his passion for talking football if he is indeed gone. I did not agree with all his opinions, but some seemed to have to attack everything he posted. Too many good people like Marty have left the site.

this is not aimed at you midge, it just came off your post. hopefully marr will be back