PDA

View Full Version : Official Vikings vs. Redskins Postgame Thread

MulletMullitia
12-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Well, that couldn't have been any worse.

Adrian Peterson had one of the most gruesome looking knee injuries that I've ever seen. We are out of the running for the #1 pick. Ponder got raped all game. Then our backups came in and completely ruined our draft position. I said I would never cheer for a loss. But I can honestly say that I wasn't even a little bit happy when we took over the lead. If we win next week, we will be in like a 10 way tie with 4 wins, and get another shitty middle of the road pick. For the good of this franchise, we can't beat the Bears next week. We just can't. Our pick would go from top 3 to barely in the top 10. Never been so unhappy with a win in my entire life.

/rant

UPDATE:

In Frazier's press conference, he claimed that AP has a sprained knee. Does that mean no ligament damage? It looked like a clear cut torn ACL to me.

BrazilianRider
12-24-2011, 04:42 PM
UPDATE:

In Frazier's press conference, he claimed that AP has a sprained knee. Does that mean no ligament damage? It looked like a clear cut torn ACL to me.

I wouldn't be too excited just yet. I've torn my ACL three times over the past year (twice on the left knee, once on the right knee... Jesus Christ, worst year ever for sports injury in my life), and twice when I went to the hospital they told me I had just probably sprained my knee. The issue is that when you first tear your ACL, your hamstrings tense up and take over so when they do the tests, it doesn't feel like anything is wrong, however, in a few days we should know for sure though...

Purple Floyd
12-24-2011, 05:44 PM

A sprain is a tear of a ligament. The amount of the tear is indicated by the grade the sprain is given.

TheAnimal93
12-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Well, isnt this a sharp stick to the eye? LHM!!! How can an ugly win be any uglier?

July 4 1776
12-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Seriously now you want to win? We had a chance at a first pick that coulda beeen traded for an entire offensive line and maybe a saftey. Now with our upper managment there gonna consider starting webb next swheason hindering his abilities as a reciver and ponders abilities as a qb. I can't take another ten years of mediocre qb play from a tarvaris jackson clone.

Ltrey33
12-24-2011, 07:33 PM
This was literally a worse case scenario.

Ponder hurt. AP with a potentially career changing injury. And we lose any shot at the #1 pick.

Sick, frustrating, awful. This is almost as bad as a great year that ends in disappointment. Heck, maybe even worse.

To correct the original poster's point though, we would not be in a "10-way tie" if we win next week.

Potentially, if we win and the other 4 win teams lose the draft order would be:

1) Indy
2) St. Louis
3) Jacksonville
4) Tampa
5) Cleveland
6 Minnesota

That's based upon current strength of schedule, but the Vikings have the 7th hardest schedule in the league, and none of those teams can catch us in the next week. I would prefer to lose next week and end up with the 3rd overall pick. But 6 still isn't too bad.

Freakout
12-24-2011, 08:01 PM
I hate seeing guys get injured but Webb and Toby really stepped in and played some damn good football.

Webb is making me believe that maybe we gave up on him too soon. He was a very raw prospect and he has shown improvement. He definitely deserves a real shot at starting. There is no reason to just hand Ponder the starting gig.

NeoVikesTX
12-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Can someone please tell me why Peterson is playing in a meaningless game against a meaningless opponent in a meaningless season? Now he will be rehabbing all offseason just so we can win 3 games instead of 2. What an end to a crappy season.

i_bleed_purple
12-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Can someone please tell me why Peterson is playing in a meaningless game against a meaningless opponent in a meaningless season? Now he will be rehabbing all offseason just so we can win 3 games instead of 2. What an end to a crappy season.

Are you suggesting that just because we're out of the playoffs we should rest our starters? No. He's a football player, he should be playing. Injuries happen. This one sucks big time, but calling out our coaches for playing him is fucking stupid.

Reignman
12-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Well if you wanted AP to sit out of meaningless games they should've shut him down at the bye week and I don't think anyone would've been too happy if they did that. It was just a freak injury. Football would flat out suck if teams shut their stars down after being eliminated. I already hate the current NFL and it's overly cautious attitude. It's almost a mental illness with how careful teams have gotten with their players, so I can't find any blame with playing AP in these meaningless games.

MulletMullitia
12-24-2011, 10:28 PM
Are you suggesting that just because we're out of the playoffs we should rest our starters? No. He's a football player, he should be playing. Injuries happen. This one sucks big time, but calling out our coaches for playing him is fucking stupid.

Had he been 100% healthy, I would totally agree with you. But he wasn't. They should have put him on the IR after the high ankle sprain. Let's pray it's just the ACL, and not the MCL/PCL like Daunte's. If it's all of them, it's would be nearly impossible to fully recover.

thorshammer
12-24-2011, 10:49 PM
WTF. You cry when we loose you cry when we win. It sucks the AD and Ponder got hurt but they will be back. TG played a good game and Webb played a good game. Our D showed up and we won. JA has the sack lead. Can't anyone be happy.

i_bleed_purple
12-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Had he been 100% healthy, I would totally agree with you. But he wasn't. They should have put him on the IR after the high ankle sprain. Let's pray it's just the ACL, and not the MCL/PCL like Daunte's. If it's all of them, it's would be nearly impossible to fully recover.

Disagree. they asy HIgh ankle sprains are tough to recover from, but his can't have been that bad considering he was back in beast mode in 3 weeks. He was good enough to play, it was a freak injury. Putting him on IR for a sprained ankle was overkill. Yeah, it would have helped int he suck-for-luck campaign, but it's just being overly cautious, and unnecessary

12purplepride28
12-24-2011, 11:28 PM
WTF. You cry when we loose you cry when we win. It sucks the AD and Ponder got hurt but they will be back. TG played a good game and Webb played a good game. Our D showed up and we won. JA has the sack lead. Can't anyone be happy.

Why would we be happy? AP got hurt, chance he'll never be the same, and we got a meaningless victory that took us out of contention for the top pick in the draft. I want us to win when it matters, not when it's beneficial for us to lose.

idahovikefan7
12-25-2011, 12:42 AM
I'm not the type to root for the vikings to lose EVER. I really don't care about the pick in the draft and all that crap. I'm always happy for a viking win.

Peterson should not have been playing though, he wasn't 100% and there really wasn't much to play for. Hope he comes back strong next year.

BrazilianRider
12-25-2011, 04:23 AM
Torn ACL, MCL... Hate to say I called it... :(

ultravikingfan
12-25-2011, 04:56 AM
Torn ACL, MCL... Hate to say I called it... :(

http://jonathanturley.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/cookie.gif

STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES
12-25-2011, 06:06 AM
You called it?
I should have consulted with you before buying my lottery tickets, i could retire at 39.

AP said this week that he was playing because he loves the game. We were lucky to get thru last week, when he was 85%, but he said he was playing for the fantasy owners. THAT was a ridiculous thing to say, and worse reason to play.

ConnecticutViking
12-25-2011, 06:08 AM
Confirmed by ESPN....Torn ACL & MCL. 9 Months of Rehab.

Lost Peterson, Lost the #1 pick, Ponder concussion...could be one of the worst wins ever! But Peterson should have played, this is football and injury is part of the game. Rooting for a L is bullshit, as much as I would have wanted Luck..you never go out on the field and play to loose.

12purplepride28
12-25-2011, 08:08 AM
I'm not the type to root for the vikings to lose EVER. I really don't care about the pick in the draft and all that crap. I'm always happy for a viking win.

That's because you aren't a big picture guy.

Formo
12-25-2011, 11:03 PM
I was honestly a little bummed when I found out the Vikes won (was on the road and with family so didn't get to watch the game). But as soon as I heard what happened with AP, my heart sunk. I will be completely shocked if he plays in a game before the beginning of the 2014 season. And then to top things off, our potential QB of the future may have concussion issues.

Wow, God(s), seriously? You must REALLY hate the Vikings.

El Vikingo
12-26-2011, 02:31 PM
After all this years following this team ,I can say God is a packer.

Marrdro
12-27-2011, 09:17 AM
A few thoughts.....

a. For those of you who think teams are going to lose on purpose just so they get a higher draft pick, I raise the bullshit flag. These players get paid to produce. If they don't produce they don't get paid. Its called incentives/escalators/clauses in their contracts.

As to were we are going to draft, that won't be decided until the last game. In case you didn't notice, the team that needs luck the most just went out and won.

Besides, the draft isn't about 1 pick. Last time I checked, most teams will have multiple picks.

b. I love it when we win but I especially love it when we win with BACKUPS.

Who was it was telling me that we have no talent on this team.

c. Bunch sets vs Spread sets and how it affects our offense. Anyone with half a brain should have come away from that game never wanting to see another bunched set. Hell, we had a QB that can only run, do well with 3 WR sets....and.....GUESS WHAT......Defenders still had to go out and defend those WR's even though they knew pretty damn well he wasn't going to throw to them.

d. Shortwellllllllllllllll. Missed a PAT for cripes sake and I swear his kicks are not only getting shorter, they have less fricken hang time. Damn I'd hate to be on that ST's coverage crew.

e. DT's. Royster (yes Royster) just put up 132 yards against us. I wonder what Bell will do seeings how he put up 121 against the PUKERS. Can I finally get a AMEN from the congregation for a 0 Technique run stuffing/pocket collapsing NT?

In the end, it was a great win and I'm glad to see it regardless of what it MIGHT HAVE DONE to our draft position.

jargomcfargo
12-27-2011, 09:58 AM

Me. This team lacks talent and depth as well as coaching and front office ability.
You can blame it all on the coaches but that is a simplistic view.
Don't use the same players as 2009 rebuttal unless you care to explain the difference between 2009 and 2010 when the coaching staff remained the same for most of the season.
Oh yeah, that was probably Favres fault, right!

Marrdro
12-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Me. This team lacks talent and depth as well as coaching and front office ability.
You can blame it all on the coaches but that is a simplistic view.
Don't use the same players as 2009 rebuttal unless you care to explain the difference between 2009 and 2010 when the coaching staff remained the same for most of the season.
Oh yeah, that was probably Favres fault, right!
Actually I was referring to a few of the "old time posters" on here and not you, however, I will reply to you as one......

The 2009 and 2010 season is way to easy to explain. Search the site, I've done it repeatedly.....In its simplest version......

a. The Noodle (yes I blame him) could not move around like he did in 2009.
b. WR's weren't there. Rice and Harvin both missed much of the season.

The offense the Chiller ran was predicated on a moving pocket. When that didn't work the whole offense sucked. Case in point, same OL, same Coaches, Webb at QB, beat the Iggles.

Same thing is going on here. Offensive makeup is designed to work off of movement out of a play action fake much the same way it worked in 2009 with a mobile Noodle. Instead we see Bunch sets/max protect and a offense that looks like crap.

Down goes Ponder, in comes Webb. Multiple WR sets, Toby gashing the defense, Webb moves out of the pocket with an option to throw, run or pitch to the outside back, everything clicks.

Pretty simple.

jargomcfargo
12-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Actually I was referring to a few of the "old time posters" on here and not you, however, I will reply to you as one......

The 2009 and 2010 season is way to easy to explain. Search the site, I've done it repeatedly.....In its simplest version......

a. The Noodle (yes I blame him) could not move around like he did in 2009.

The offense the Chiller ran was predicated on a moving pocket. When that didn't work the whole offense sucked. Case in point, same OL, same Coaches, Webb at QB, beat the Iggles.

Same thing is going on here. Offensive makeup is designed to work off of movement out of a play action fake much the same way it worked in 2009 with a mobile Noodle. Instead we see Bunch sets/max protect and a offense that looks like crap.

Down goes Ponder, in comes Webb. Multiple WR sets, Toby gashing the defense, Webb moves out of the pocket with an option to throw, run or pitch to the outside back, everything clicks.

Pretty simple.

Ok. Webb beat the Eagles with a new coach.
That's a pretty good explaination. I have to give the front office or Childress a great deal of the blame.
Bringing back the Noodle after the Saints beat the crap out of him was the mistake. I don't think he ever fully recovered from his ankle surgery.
And every team knew the way to beat Favre was to hurt him.

Marrdro
12-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Ok. Webb beat the Eagles with a new coach.
That's a pretty good explaination. I have to give the front office or Childress a great deal of the blame.
Bringing back the Noodle after the Saints beat the crap out of him was the mistake. I don't think he ever fully recovered from his ankle surgery.
And every team knew the way to beat Favre was to hurt him.
Good stuff, but you have to really take it to the next level (don't blame the Noodle) and say that the Aints showed how to beat the Vikings.

Flood the gaps, tackle AD on your way to the QB, cause every team has been doing it since.

I think you get a O-coord in that knows how to use this team (establish the run/play action fake/roll QB out/Dink dunk to TE's and Crossing WR's) we will continue to be beat like a drum.

Again, back to the Deadskins game. We were only successfull cause Toby started out gashing it up the A and B gaps. Once that happened, everything else opened up. But that only happened because the O-coord got away from bunch sets.

Zeus
12-27-2011, 12:23 PM

Percy Harvin played in 14 games, starting 13 and had 71 catches in 2010.

Not to confuse you with actual facts, dude.

=Z=

Marrdro
12-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Percy Harvin played in 14 games, starting 13 and had 71 catches in 2010.

Not to confuse you with actual facts, dude.

=Z=
LOL, facts or your quick check of the "Stats" page.

Here's a mind bender for ya dude.....define played in. :rofl:

Marrdro
12-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Oh, and there was that minor moment where he recorded the first Vikings' interception (http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d82561032/Vikings-defense-INT) since Paul Krause Joey Browner Darren Sharper (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/3178/darren-sharper) Jamarca Sanford (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71508/jamarca-sanford) got one at the end of the Arizona game, snapping a string of 298 pass attempts and 39+ quarters of football since the Vikings caught a pass thrown by the opposing quarterbackMistral Raymond Nominated For Pepsi Rookie Of The Week - Daily Norseman (http://www.dailynorseman.com/2011/12/27/2663949/mistral-raymond-nominated-for-pepsi-rookie-of-the-week)

So enlighten me..........INT by the S or was it a INT caused by pressure from the DL? Lets not forget, young Mistral was standing back (behind the reciever) in his zone when the ball was thrown to him.

Purple Floyd
12-27-2011, 08:17 PM
A few thoughts.....

a. For those of you who think teams are going to lose on purpose just so they get a higher draft pick, I raise the bullshit flag. These players get paid to produce. If they don't produce they don't get paid. Its called incentives/escalators/clauses in their contracts.

Here is another thought. It may not be the players but the FO who may see the benefit. Actually it can be a dual benefit in not only getting a higher pick, but also not having to pay those incentives/escalators you speak of.

As to were we are going to draft, that won't be decided until the last game. In case you didn't notice, the team that needs luck the most just went out and won.
It didn't hurt their chances because the other team nearest the bottom that might have taken him won too. The only other team in the hunt already has a 50 million dollar commitment to a QB.

Besides, the draft isn't about 1 pick. Last time I checked, most teams will have multiple picks.

But that one pick at the top of the draft gives you the best chance at drafting a player that can have the greatest impact on the team.

b. I love it when we win but I especially love it when we win with BACKUPS.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Me. And I am just waiting to hear how beating Washington dispels any of that.

c. Bunch sets vs Spread sets and how it affects our offense. Anyone with half a brain should have come away from that game never wanting to see another bunched set. Hell, we had a QB that can only run, do well with 3 WR sets....and.....GUESS WHAT......Defenders still had to go out and defend those WR's even though they knew pretty damn well he wasn't going to throw to them.

You can win with bunched sets if you have the commitment, the talent, and the right coaches. We don't.

d. Shortwellllllllllllllll. Missed a PAT for cripes sake and I swear his kicks are not only getting shorter, they have less fricken hang time. Damn I'd hate to be on that ST's coverage crew.
I am fine with getting rid of him but he is so far from our biggest problem that I am not going to comment any farther on him until the other spots are addressed.

e. DT's. Royster (yes Royster) just put up 132 yards against us. I wonder what Bell will do seeings how he put up 121 against the PUKERS. Can I finally get a AMEN from the congregation for a 0 Technique run stuffing/pocket collapsing NT?

A 3-4 defense would fix that too.

In the end, it was a great win and I'm glad to see it regardless of what it MIGHT HAVE DONE to our draft position.

Yeah, hopefully it will convince the Ziggster that everything is hunky dory with the team so they can keep everything just the way it is and hope for a better record next year.

Purple Floyd
12-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Mistral Raymond Nominated For Pepsi Rookie Of The Week - Daily Norseman (http://www.dailynorseman.com/2011/12/27/2663949/mistral-raymond-nominated-for-pepsi-rookie-of-the-week)

So enlighten me..........INT by the S or was it a INT caused by pressure from the DL? Lets not forget, young Mistral was standing back (behind the reciever) in his zone when the ball was thrown to him.

Who cares. It was the first one in what- 2 months? The secondary is possibly the most inept group in the history of the NFL. Setting a league record foe futility in INT's is no basis for celebrating when you finally break the streak.

One more step to access Purplepride.org Minnesota Vikings Message Board - The Front Page (http://www.purplepride.org)
CAPTCHA:
http://www.google.com/recaptcha/api/image?c=03AHJ_VutSU8OElFjObVxgS8WRIQl26HcxVh5Ko82ucnqzYvtu81JhiaG6jFUORO4pvid-UC1VxA2qAkyVw6AKbQzEZAEuoXC5nyhLRfSLmR47oy0S5we-81_yH75nEBO71HnQi5PKF-SRifBRRqD7UH65kr7co4s6bQ

Optional message for site owner (100 characters max):

http://cdn-static.cloudflare.com/images/thumbs/458-www.purplepride.org.png

View advanced details and evidence regarding your restriction
Your action has triggered the website's security system because of a phrase or content in your submission. Often automated bots will try to post spam campaigns (like ads for Rolex watches or medications) or injection attacks on websites. This website is taking precaution to stop these automated threats. If you are reading this, then you are likely a human trying to post a comment or log in to the website. Continue by entering the CAPTCHA.

What happened?The security system for this website has been triggered because of a phrase or content in your submission. If you are reading this, you are most likely a human visitor trying to log in or post a comment that triggered the system.

When will this restriction go away?This restriction will disappear when no more harmful behavior is detected. Completing the challenge above proves you are a human and gives you temporary access. You can ask the website owner to permanently whitelist you.
Note: your actions have been logged.