PDA

View Full Version : USC tackle Matt Kalil will go pro

Purple Floyd
12-15-2011, 09:54 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

ESPNís Chris Mortensen reports that USC center Matt Kalil has decided to forego his senior season and seek entry into the 2012 NFL draft
Mort believes Kalil is a top-five pick, potentially the premier left tackle in this draft. Mattís brother Ryan plays for the Panthers and is the highest paid center in football.

(http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/)

C Mac D
12-16-2011, 01:46 AM
I owe Zeus an apology... I guess he is going pro.

While he would be a good pickup, I think we should trade down and get more draft picks for later. This team has so many holes, Kalil isn't going to solve anything.

12purplepride28
12-16-2011, 01:52 AM

While he would be a good pickup, I think we should trade down and get more draft picks for later. This team has so many holes, Kalil isn't going to solve anything.

He'd solve the left tackle problem...

C Mac D
12-16-2011, 01:54 AM
He'd solve the left tackle problem...

Well, we would still need RG, RT, C, S, CB, DT, WR... hence why we should trade down. Just like I was saying 3 years ago, it's about building for the future, not winning now. Some people understand this, some don't.

The Packers understood this 3 years ago.

i_bleed_purple
12-16-2011, 02:41 AM
Well, we would still need RG, RT, C, S, CB, DT, WR... hence why we should trade down. Just like I was saying 3 years ago, it's about building for the future, not winning now. Some people understand this, some don't.

Considering a quality LT is very important for a young QB, I'd rather take the highest percentage player than trade down for a couple great potential players.

When we've got a top-3 pick, if there's a BPA there who happens to be a position of huge need, you absolutely need to jump on that. So long as our scouting dept does their job and feels strongly about the pick, I'd rather they do that.

BBQ Platypus
12-16-2011, 03:12 AM

Left tackle is a much harder position to fill than our other needs are. Teams don't just let them go (unless they show up to camp 60 pounds over their listed weight). Chances to get a franchise LT don't come along very often - it's almost as important a position as quarterback. If the opportunity to get one presents itself, you should absolutely jump on it.

C Mac D
12-16-2011, 04:10 AM
Left tackle is a much harder position to fill than our other needs are. Teams don't just let them go (unless they show up to camp 60 pounds over their listed weight). Chances to get a franchise LT don't come along very often - it's almost as important a position as quarterback. If the opportunity to get one presents itself, you should absolutely jump on it.

Nah, there are plenty LT taken later in the draft that prove to be just as good (if not better) than many taken in the first. Question, what round was Matt Light drafted in? What round was Jared Gathier drafted in? What round was Michael Roos drafted in? How about Jason Peters? (hint... he went undrafted....)

Anywhoo, I could go on and on, but with good scouting you can find plenty of good talent later in the draft... whether or not our front office (primarily Spielman) is able to scout this talent has yet to be seen. (Actually, that's a lie actually, we've seen Spielman's scouting talent since he put together the 1-15 Dolphins and now the 2-11 Vikings... somehow he still has a job.)

BBQ Platypus
12-16-2011, 05:34 AM
Nah, there are plenty LT taken later in the draft that prove to be just as good (if not better) than many taken in the first. Question, what round was Matt Light drafted in? What round was Jared Gathier drafted in? What round was Michael Roos drafted in? How about Jason Peters? (hint... he went undrafted....)

Anywhoo, I could go on and on, but with good scouting you can find plenty of good talent later in the draft... whether or not our front office (primarily Spielman) is able to scout this talent has yet to be seen. (Actually, that's a lie actually, we've seen Spielman's scouting talent since he put together the 1-15 Dolphins and now the 2-11 Vikings... somehow he still has a job.)

And what round was John Sullivan taken in? Marcus Johnson? Draft position may not be a guarantee of success (see Leaf, Ryan), but, much like star ratings in college football, there is a positive correlation between draft position and a player's success. Between 1995 and 2006, 42% of all Pro Bowl selections were of first round picks. Maybe you can hit a home run in the later rounds, but it's much more likely that you'll hit it early.

Not all needs are created equal. LT is one of the most important positions on offense, and a top-level talent at that position is not something you pass up lightly, particularly in a draft like this year's when there isn't a whole lot of depth at the position. It would have to be a pretty impressive haul to get the Vikings to pass up a top-level talent at an important position. It does little good to have three well-made cogs when the machine is running on a little treadmill with a hamster on it.

The lesson learned by the Packers isn't "draft often." It's "draft WELL."

Purple Floyd
12-16-2011, 08:22 AM
I would rather see a skill player or a CB be taken with our pick. While a LT is important, you never see a LT come in and elevate a team to another level like a skill player can.

Obviously any player can be a bust but I prefer to add skill players on offense and DB's to using premier picks on OL. If you install the right scheme you can get OL either in FA or later rounds that can get the job done if the FO and coaching staff are up to the job.

AngloVike
12-16-2011, 09:28 AM
I would rather see a skill player or a CB be taken with our pick. While a LT is important, you never see a LT come in and elevate a team to another level like a skill player can.

Obviously any player can be a bust but I prefer to add skill players on offense and DB's to using premier picks on OL. If you install the right scheme you can get OL either in FA or later rounds that can get the job done if the FO and coaching staff are up to the job.

that is true to a point, however a good LT will allow the QB to stay on feet instead of his duff and so let him be that skill player that will elevate the team.

skum
12-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Great news, great player, great pick.. Get errr done!!

12purplepride28
12-16-2011, 11:01 AM

Did I say it solved everything? You said it solves nothing, which is a retarded statement. It solves on of the most important positions on a football team. What about getting a LT of the future, isn't building for the future? I understand the appeal of trading back and would do it if someone gave the farm for our pick, but we have a young QB and we need to protect him. Just keep Load at RT, Sullivan has been doing a lot better this year, try and snag a top WR in FA like Bowe or Desean (though I'd rather have Bowe). We can't give up on Load so fast, give him another year and if he's garbage try a position change to G and see how that works out. But I'd much rather put Charlie at G and have Kalil at LT than whatever else you're coming up with that involves Charlie still at LT.

12purplepride28
12-16-2011, 11:05 AM

Well by that logic, we don't need to draft anyone until the 6th and beyond! Trade back to those rounds for like 20 picks! We'll find the next Tom Brady, John Randle, Bart Scott, Jason Peters, and Wes Welker. I cannot believe you don't understand the concept that the higher you pick in the draft, the better your chance of landing a good player. Yes, gems are found throughout the draft, but compare those names that we threw out there to the ones that didn't pan out. The success rate is much higher at the top of the draft.

12purplepride28
12-16-2011, 11:08 AM

Really!? Obviously LT isn't a sexy pick like a Blackmon or Claiborne, but it's just as important, if not more so. LT isn't going to be out there catching passes (obviously) but if you can get a star LT then you've secured one of the most important positions in the NFL for the next 10-15 years. Prefer drafting skill players on offense... We have AP, Harvin, and Ponder. How's that working out for us? We have one of the worst OLs in the league. The Lions also drafted lots skill players and were absolute garbage until recently.

All that being said, I'll be satisfied with Kalil or Blackmon, though I'd prefer Kalil.

NodakPaul
12-16-2011, 11:42 AM
I have more faith in finding a good secondary player through FA or in round 2/3 than I do in finding a LT. For me, if we have the chance to take Kalil, it is a no brainer.

C Mac D
12-16-2011, 12:35 PM
v
Well by that logic, we don't need to draft anyone until the 6th and beyond! Trade back to those rounds for like 20 picks! We'll find the next Tom Brady, John Randle, Bart Scott, Jason Peters, and Wes Welker. I cannot believe you don't understand the concept that the higher you pick in the draft, the better your chance of landing a good player. Yes, gems are found throughout the draft, but compare those names that we threw out there to the ones that didn't pan out. The success rate is much higher at the top of the draft.

6th round and beyond? The guys I named were drafted in the 2nd... but I doubt you bothered to look that up, just wanted to send off some snotty comment and call my statements "retarded"... huh, I wonder if you'll be banned for that?

Doubt it.

Which is odd...

tastywaves
12-16-2011, 01:06 PM
v

6th round and beyond? The guys I named were drafted in the 2nd... but I doubt you bothered to look that up, just wanted to send off some snotty comment and call my statements "retarded"... huh, I wonder if you'll be banned for that?

Doubt it.

Which is odd...

With the personnel we have in place today making selections in the draft. I think we are better off keeping the picks as high as possible and getting as close to a "sure" thing as there is. If we had a more competent staff that could be trusted to make solid picks throughout every round, then your point makes a lot of sense as we do have a lot of needs. I'm more in favor of keeping the high first round pick and selecting the best player available, whether it's Kalil, Blackmon or Claiborne.

There is also an argument that can be made for picking up a Luck, Barkely, or RGIII as well. I think Christian has shown good potential and "could" be our long term answer. But if the staff has a lot of questions marks, it may not be out of the question to take one of these guys. I would much prefer to believe that Christian is the answer so we can address our plethora of needs, but the position is too important not to consider.

MindCrimes67
12-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Wherever we pick. We should take Kalil if available. we should not draft a wr with first pick, no way. Our whole draft should be to shore up some weak areas of team. such as OL, DB, defensive depth. I think we should find a wr in FA. Our Ol is pathetic. should draft 2 OL with 2 of first 3 picks.

Purple Floyd
12-16-2011, 01:58 PM
I haven't had time to look it up but how many SB teams in the past 20 years had a LT that the team drafted in the top 3-4 picks?

My guess is it is pretty low compared to WR,DB etc.

Freakout
12-16-2011, 04:04 PM
I haven't had time to look it up but how many SB teams in the past 20 years had a LT that the team drafted in the top 3-4 picks?

How many Superbowl contenders ever draft in the top 3-4 picks?

C Mac D
12-16-2011, 04:10 PM
If we take Kalil, we need to get a starting CB in free agency (possibly two) and we should also go after Dwayne Bowe.

i_bleed_purple
12-16-2011, 05:23 PM

Probably. But then again, count how many teams have more than one starting LT vs. more than one starting WR, DB, etc.

If we can get a reliable LT, arguably the second hardest position to fill, we have something we don't have to worry about for years. If we get a LB, there's 2 more LB spots to fill, if we get a WR, we'll always need another. If we get a LT, we're set. No, it won't make us a contender, but it's one of the important foundation building blocks.

Purple Floyd
12-16-2011, 09:54 PM
How many Superbowl contenders ever draft in the top 3-4 picks?
I wasn't talking about where they drafted when they were contending. The point was how many bad teams like we are right now used their 3-4 slot pick on a LT and then became a SB team?

IMHO taking a LT with that high of a pick is a waste. You take a QB, a WR, a CB or even a DE if there is a game changer. I would not take a LT until at least double digits.

Purple Floyd
12-16-2011, 10:10 PM
Probably. But then again, count how many teams have more than one starting LT vs. more than one starting WR, DB, etc.

If we can get a reliable LT, arguably the second hardest position to fill, we have something we don't have to worry about for years. If we get a LB, there's 2 more LB spots to fill, if we get a WR, we'll always need another. If we get a LT, we're set. No, it won't make us a contender, but it's one of the important foundation building blocks.

Why are you isolating the LT but grouping the LB's and Wr's together?

It could also be said if you get an OL, there are 4 more spots to fill with that philosophy.

A top LT is certainly someone you can build the line around, but the right WR is also a guy you build around as is the right DB or LB.

I just feel that we have a prime opportunity to get a top notch skill player. We have the QB position possibly locked up, but we also could get a better one. That would be the number one spot I would look at with that pick. Then I would look at who is available at DB because that is our glaring need. If there is a guy that can justify that pick I take them. Then WR.

More than likely we will still have a fairly high draft pick next year but hopefully not as high as this year. That pick could be used on a LT.

Freakout
12-16-2011, 11:11 PM
I wasn't talking about where they drafted when they were contending. The point was how many bad teams like we are right now used their 3-4 slot pick on a LT and then became a SB team?

IMHO taking a LT with that high of a pick is a waste. You take a QB, a WR, a CB or even a DE if there is a game changer. I would not take a LT until at least double digits.

I just really disagree.

I knew what you meant I just don't agree with your point. It seems like a very simplistic view. It ignores team needs and position value.

Teams that are picking in the top 3 generally have a bad team. Of course a stud LT will not propel them into being a superbowl contender. That is just a unrealistic view. I also disagree that a QB, WR, CB, or even a DE miraculously propels the team into being a superbowl team.

Purple Floyd
12-16-2011, 11:19 PM
I just really disagree.

I knew what you meant I just don't agree with your point. It seems like a very simplistic view. It ignores team needs and position value.

Teams that are picking in the top 3 generally have a bad team. Of course a stud LT will not propel them into being a superbowl contender. That is just a unrealistic view. I also disagree that a QB, WR, CB, or even a DE miraculously propels the team into being a superbowl team.

Well hell, that is what makes this country great. We can disagree with each other on pointless topics we have no control over through our keyboards. How great is that?

briannord
12-17-2011, 12:10 AM
Its almost too obvious of a choice. Upgrading from charlie Johnson to a potential all pro stud prototypical LT should be the obvious choice. Keeping Ponder upright and his internal clock on track should be a main priority.

I only wish Kalil was alittle bigger, but then again fatasses havnt been working too well for us.

Dont mess this up, Take Kalil.

12purplepride28
12-17-2011, 01:25 AM
v

Doubt it.

Which is odd...

Except for Jason Peters... who you said was undrafted. Even did your condescending hint. And you didn't address anything else. How is drafting an LT NOT building for the future?

And I won't get band for a couple reasons...

Mods on here are MIA for some reason
I haven't made it a habit of being a dick to everyone, much like you.

12purplepride28
12-17-2011, 01:28 AM
Its almost too obvious of a choice. Upgrading from charlie Johnson to a potential all pro stud prototypical LT should be the obvious choice. Keeping Ponder upright and his internal clock on track should be a main priority.

I only wish Kalil was alittle bigger, but then again fatasses havnt been working too well for us.

Dont mess this up, Take Kalil.

Thank you. How well has ignoring OL in the top rounds helped us? Just because the top LTs drafted aren't on teams in the SB doesn't mean they aren't worth the pick. LT can only do so much.

Freakout
12-17-2011, 01:29 AM
Well hell, that is what makes this country great. We can disagree with each other on pointless topics we have no control over through our keyboards. How great is that?

I'm from Canada......

I just believe if you look at this draft it is very hard not to have Kalil ranked as the second best player and he is easily the best LT in the draft. It is a big step down from Kalil to the next best LT prospect. You cannot really say that about any other position (other than Luck and we have no shot at him).

Luck
Kalil
Claiborne
Coples

Those four are the cream of the crop at their positions and you are looking at a pretty big step down to the next guys behind each one.

Everyone is in love with Justin Blackmon but this draft class just doesn't have a Megatron or Fitzgerald in it. Blackmon isn't on their level coming out and this is shaping up to be a very deep draft class at wide receiver.

If Kalil is gone then Morris Claiborne should be next on the list BUT you can find upgrades to your secondary in free agency. Good luck finding a franchise LT - they never hit the market. Hell even the good ones hardly ever hit the market because if you manage to find a better one then you move your old one over to right tackle.

I will say that my preference is to trade down if a team has a hard-on for one of the quarterbacks that may be available at #2/3.

Ok I am not really from Canada :P

Purple Floyd
12-17-2011, 07:47 AM
I'm from Canada......Ok I am not really from Canada :P
I guess that changes everything somehow.

I just believe if you look at this draft it is very hard not to have Kalil ranked as the second best player and he is easily the best LT in the draft. It is a big step down from Kalil to the next best LT prospect. You cannot really say that about any other position (other than Luck and we have no shot at him).

Hey, that is possible and if they draft him and he works out that is great. But RGIII is moving up the boards quickly and could stir things up. And many boards have Claiborne rated higher than Kalil. And having looked at some game film I actually think Jonathan Martin from Stanford will be a better Pro than Kalil and if we are going LT we could trade down to like 12 and get Reiff from Iowa who would also be a great OL.

All that said I thonk it is fairly obvious that the more key positions to fill are CB and WR because you need to score points in this league to be competitive and if we take Kalil, then who is going to anchor the secondary and catch passes?

Everyone is in love with Justin Blackmon but this draft class just doesn't have a Megatron or Fitzgerald in it. Blackmon isn't on their level coming out and this is shaping up to be a very deep draft class at wide receiver.
Name the best LT in this years draft and compare him to Kalil. I am not hearing Kalil being touted as the future greatest LT in the league, just the best or 2nd best in this draft which is about what they are saying about Blackmon. Yes, he is projected to be good, but do you want to lock up 25 Million on a rookie OL when you have needs at skill positions?

If Kalil is gone then Morris Claiborne should be next on the list BUT you can find upgrades to your secondary in free agency. Good luck finding a franchise LT - they never hit the market. Hell even the good ones hardly ever hit the market because if you manage to find a better one then you move your old one over to right tackle.

So are you saying you can find a FRANCHISE CB in FA? By drafting Claiborne you have a franchise guy in a secondary that hasn't had an INT in 8 games. Who are these franchise CB's you speak of who will be available in FA and how much will they cost?

I will say that my preference is to trade down if a team has a hard-on for one of the quarterbacks that may be available at #2/3.

That is an option and if we are taking a LT I would be fine trading back to the teens for that pick.

Purple Floyd
12-17-2011, 07:50 AM
Thank you. How well has ignoring OL in the top rounds helped us? Just because the top LTs drafted aren't on teams in the SB doesn't mean they aren't worth the pick. LT can only do so much.

We have drafted just as high with the OL as we have with the secondary and how well has that worked for us?

A shutdown CB would do far more for us than the LT. Our line has been bad but the DB's might be the worst group in NFL history.

jargomcfargo
12-17-2011, 12:37 PM
We have drafted just as high with the OL as we have with the secondary and how well has that worked for us?

A shutdown CB would do far more for us than the LT. Our line has been bad but the DB's might be the worst group in NFL history.

The Vikes need at least 3 good cornerbacks to counter Green Bay's wealth of talented receivers and ability to spread the defense. Right now the Vikes have zero good cornerbacks.
I don't trust free agency as a solution, eg. Smoot.
So it wouldn't hurt to take a tackle in the first round if he is the best player available, but I would think they better get a CB by the second round or earlier.

The first and second round picks are going to be high picks that should land two very good players.

And I agree, there is no shame in selecting a top notch QB to build around, if the team has any question about Ponder. The ability to draft this high will hopefully never come around again.

Chazz
12-17-2011, 07:33 PM

Shutdown corners don't exist outside of Revis. We need safety's way before corners

Purple Floyd
12-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Way more?
Name 1 Cb on our roster than can cover any of the top 4 packers wrs one on one.

mad-dog_six-eight
12-17-2011, 08:42 PM

I agree with you that LT's dont make the huge plays. but a good OL in this division can keep guys like peppers, vanden bosh, mathews, urlacher, suh and others away from Ponder long enough to throw the occasional 50 yard bomb to Percy for a thouchdown. I don't remember who it was against, but a few weeks ago there was a play just like that when Ponder threw that 50 yard touchdown pass to Percy because he actually had time. when christian has time, he can get things done and we've seen it.

also, we've seen what Adrian can do with this excuse for an O-Line. imagine what he could do with top-tier talent. He's got a solid year or two before he starts losing speed.

i_bleed_purple
12-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Way more?

Chris Cook

mad-dog_six-eight
12-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Chris Cook

well... technically he is on the roster but he isn't allowed to be near the team.

though i do think he has potential if he can actually stay on the field.

Purple Floyd
12-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Chris Cook

Great. You use a woman beater who more than likely wont be on out roster next year as an example. If that is all you got this team is totally screwed.

12purplepride28
12-18-2011, 04:23 PM
I can't believe we field an oline like that and people still want to take blackmon or claiborne over kalil. Take one of those and ponder has a better WR to throw to, claiborne maybe improves our secondary. Taking Kalil will keep ponder from getting murdered, give WRs more time to get open, and help AP and Toby get some room. A lot more benefits with taking Kalil.

V4L
12-18-2011, 04:52 PM
I can't believe we field an oline like that and people still want to take blackmon or claiborne over kalil. Take one of those and ponder has a better WR to throw to, claiborne maybe improves our secondary. Taking Kalil will keep ponder from getting murdered, give WRs more time to get open, and help AP and Toby get some room. A lot more benefits with taking Kalil.

Yup I was all for Blackmon all year. Im on team Kalil now. I was starting to lean that way for a couple weeks. Can't watch this line anymore.

I can't watch Charlie get beat every other play. I can't watch Phil get a false start or get beat every series. We NEED SOMEONE. Kalil is a start. Ponder will feel ALOT more comfortable back there.

Even Hutch is playing like garbage. It's sad when your best lineman is John Sullivan

marshallvike
12-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Great. You use a woman beater who more than likely wont be on out roster next year as an example. If that is all you got this team is totally screwed.

The woman beater will be starting for us next year.

marshallvike
12-18-2011, 06:16 PM

CB that high is a waste of a pick. They rarely go that high. You may as well trade down for a corner.Cook looks to be one of the best young corners in the league and he is a second rounder.
WR that high is a waste of a pick without an offensive line. He will never get the ball. Learn from Matt Millen.
QB? Maybe, but we may already have that spot covered. (Can't tell by todays game though)
DE is maybe the most risky of any position at that high in the 1st.
Maybe the Super Bowl contenders have not drafted a LT that high, but most have not drafted near that high in a decade. What you need to remember is that they do not become Super Bowl contenders without a premium LT

Purple Floyd
12-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Cook? You really want a gun toting woman choking dumbass on the team? Might as well get Pacman Jones, Terrell Owens and hire Jerry Sandusky to be the Defensive coordinator.

Minniman
12-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Kalil and a better OL coach.

I know we just got a new one, but the line stinks more than just the players can account for.

marshallvike
12-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Cook? You really want a gun toting woman choking dumbass on the team? Might as well get Pacman Jones, Terrell Owens and hire Jerry Sandusky to be the Defensive coordinator.

Yeah. If Cook gets therapy and makes an effort to change that behavior, I want him on the team.

Purple Floyd
12-18-2011, 07:23 PM
I am done with him. The selfish ba$$turd had a great opportunity to develop into a great player and help the team win some games this year and he screwed it up. If that is how he prioritizes his life decisions there is no way I am going to put any trust in him again. There are far better players out there that don't choke women.

Chazz
12-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Way more?

Name one CB on anybody's roster who can man up on Greg Jennings all day with consistent success...great Safety play will improve a pass defense more then any other one player.

marshallvike
12-18-2011, 07:51 PM
I am done with him. The selfish ba$$turd had a great opportunity to develop into a great player and help the team win some games this year and he screwed it up. If that is how he prioritizes his life decisions there is no way I am going to put any trust in him again. There are far better players out there that don't choke women.

Not on our team