PDA

View Full Version : Vikings still trying to solve 3rd-quarter dilemma

singersp
11-18-2011, 07:08 AM
Vikings still trying to solve third-quarter dilemma

Vikings still trying to solve third-quarter dilemma | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/134091569.html)

singersp
11-18-2011, 07:09 AM
How about solving the not winning dilemma 1st?

Purple Floyd
11-18-2011, 07:12 AM
Hopefully tell all of us exactly how they are going to do it.

singersp
11-19-2011, 07:15 AM
Hopefully tell all of us exactly how they are going to do it.

This is a good place to start........

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/singersp82759/Vikings%20Stuff/Cowher1.jpg

Purple Floyd
11-19-2011, 09:26 AM
What the hell good would cowher do with no other changes in the FO?

It isn't like he is any kind of talent guru or anything. His success was a product of a great FO in Pittsburgh more than he coaching acumen. Or have you forgotten the "Slash" era?

singersp
11-20-2011, 06:54 AM
What the hell good would cowher do with no other changes in the FO?

It isn't like he is any kind of talent guru or anything. His success was a product of a great FO in Pittsburgh more than he coaching acumen. Or have you forgotten the "Slash" era?

I said it's a good place to start. Cower > Frazier

They are both going to need good players, which is the FO & scouts responsibility and I've said we need a GM, but IMO, Cower would do much better with the same crop of players than Frazier would.

Caine
11-20-2011, 08:33 AM
It starts by Zygi getting himself, Mark, and Leonard OUT of the football decision making process. Until that happens, we're going to go in circles.

Caine

skum
11-20-2011, 08:46 AM
I doubt that the Wilfs are calling the plays in the 3rd quarter, but i understand what you are saying

Purple Floyd
11-20-2011, 10:19 AM
I said it's a good place to start. Cower > Frazier

They are both going to need good players, which is the FO & scouts responsibility and I've said we need a GM, but IMO, Cower would do much better with the same crop of players than Frazier would.

That is like saying you are going to build a house by setting the walls before you build the foundation. Short term it might work but over the long term it won't.

Cowher is not going to solve anything and plugging him into the HC position. If you think you can take a successful SB winning coach, plug them into a dysfunctional FO and succeed, then I would like to offer the examples of the Dolphins hiring Jimmy Johnson, The Redskins bringing back Gibbs and Hiring Shanahan.

They need to get a premier GM to come in and build the whole organization from the ground up all the way from the mail room to the secretary to the trainer, the scouting staff and most importantly the right head and position coaches.

The Vikings are so far away from that right now that it is going to be a very rough road until they come to their senses and do the right thing.

jessejames09
11-20-2011, 11:19 AM
That is like saying you are going to build a house by setting the walls before you build the foundation. Short term it might work but over the long term it won't.

Cowher is not going to solve anything and plugging him into the HC position. If you think you can take a successful SB winning coach, plug them into a dysfunctional FO and succeed, then I would like to offer the examples of the Dolphins hiring Jimmy Johnson, The Redskins bringing back Gibbs and Hiring Shanahan.

They need to get a premier GM to come in and build the whole organization from the ground up all the way from the mail room to the secretary to the trainer, the scouting staff and most importantly the right head and position coaches.

The Vikings are so far away from that right now that it is going to be a very rough road until they come to their senses and do the right thing.

I don't think Cowher would come our of retirement to walk into a situation where his boss is going to be the owners nephew, brother, son or some bullshit like that, with no real football knowledge.

IMO Wilf wanting someone high profile is the best case scenario for us. A lot of the times these guys have GMs in mind they want to work with, or maybe the current GM will be left with the title only. To land someone like Cowher, Wilf will have to convince him well before hand that this isn't a family first operation.

2beersTommy
11-20-2011, 12:24 PM
It starts by Zygi getting himself, Mark, and Leonard OUT of the football decision making process. Until that happens, we're going to go in circles.

Caine
AKA circle jerk, with Zygi being the pivot man!

2beersTommy
11-20-2011, 12:26 PM
I don't think Cowher would come our of retirement to walk into a situation where his boss is going to be the owners nephew, brother, son or some bullshit like that, with no real football knowledge.

IMO Wilf wanting someone high profile is the best case scenario for us. A lot of the times these guys have GMs in mind they want to work with, or maybe the current GM will be left with the title only. To land someone like Cowher, Wilf will have to convince him well before hand that this isn't a family first operation.

you got that right, NO top HC is going to put himself into that kind of clusterfuck.

put the pipe down Singer..Cowher isnt EVER going to come here (other than to coach a team against the Vikes)

Minniman
11-22-2011, 01:19 AM
Back on the topic, the Vikings could start by not using the "ain't I tricky" plays left over from the Childress playbook to stop critical third quarter drives cold.

I have to shake my head when I see the play selection the Vikings use. It has not changed much from the pre-Favre Childress era, and it doesn't make a lot of sense.

If a team needs nine yards on a comeback pass, the receiver has to go 11 yards downfield. Three yard passes on third and long are low percentage plays. Linebackers and DB's have too much recover speed, as long as they don't play five yards off like the Vikings, to allow the YAC needed on short passes on third and long. Yeah, once in a while it will work, but again, it is low percentage playcalling that tricky plays cannot help in the long run.

singersp
11-22-2011, 03:54 AM
you got that right, NO top HC is going to put himself into that kind of clusterfuck.

put the pipe down Singer..Cowher isnt EVER going to come here (other than to coach a team against the Vikes)

Are you sure? Why just a mere year & a half ago many here thought we were only 1 or 2 player away from a Super Bowl.

;P

Purple Floyd
11-22-2011, 07:36 AM
Two years is a long time in football.the way the league stacked up that year we had enough talent to win the SB. This year that same team might be lucky to get a wild card spot.