PDA

View Full Version : Sad, but the time is now to trade Peterson.

Kwearner
11-03-2011, 10:56 AM
I love Adrian as much as anyone, but he is to valuable an asset not to trade.
-Running backs don't last, he's in his prime but won't be for long.
-We won't be a contender while he's at the top of his game
-Ponder can at least help to keep the seats filled with him gone
-Running backs can be replaced maybe not as good as AP, but look at all the undrafted backs around the league having success.
-What we could get. Teams would buy high on such a great player and we could get multiple picks to retool the secondary and get Ponder a play making receiver.

What are your thoughts?

ultravikingfan
11-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Prepared to be flamed.

(lol, Ponder already filling seats)

i_bleed_purple
11-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Since you're new, I'll be nice.

As I've already said in the other countless "Trade Peterson" threads.

First, and foremost, we WILL NOT get what we feel he is worth.

In a trade, we MAYBE get a first and third, but I doubt it. Unless we can somehow trade the 89 Vikings for him, we won't get much.

To us, he's worth far more, the excitement he brings to the game, the fact that defenses HAVE to key on him every play. Other teams have success with no-name RB's because they don't hinge on success running the ball. Without a stud RB, our offense is nothing better than brutal. Ponder MIGHT be a guy to carry a team, but not yet. He hasn't shown he can beat 8 guys in the box. He hasn't shown he can throw deep with any effectiveness. Our receivers haven't shown they can get open or even stay healthy.

Plus, we trade him, get a pick, what happens if he's a bust and we're left with nothing. That happened before (Randy Moss)

Point 2: Not a contender.
If we draft smartly and if a couple of our younger players pan out, there's no reason we can't be contenders in 2 years. If Ponder, Cook, Rudolph, Loadholt, Erin, Abdullah and Ballard turn into solid starters, and we keep improving the roster, we CAN be a force. But we have to draft well and pick up a couple FA's that fill holes we can't fill through the draft.

3: Ponder filling seats
Gonna disagree. People might come to see Ponder, for his first start. I'd be willing to say AP sells way more seats than Ponder will.

Last point you forgot.... Trade deadline has passed.

Only time we could trade is offseason, and that's IF we even get a team next season. If there's no Minnesota Vikings next year, I don't care what they do.

NDVikingFan66
11-03-2011, 11:18 AM
I am sure that option does exist, but in order to trade someone along the likes of AP or JA, you have to hope to Herschel Walker someone, and i just do not see that happening ever again.

Also, Ponder will not really keep fans in the seats on his own.

12purplepride28
11-03-2011, 11:50 AM
I think we need to keep him because we will never get the kind of haul that the Herschel Walker brought in. If we could trade him to someone like the Colts or Dolphins for their 1st 2nd and a 1st the next year with a player like Marshal or Wayne I'd be down, but it's not going to happen. Right now, especially with our stadium situation the way it is, we couldn't trade him without getting the best trade in the history of the league, which won't happen. And the deadline is passed anyways. On a side note, glad you finally made an account.

12purplepride28
11-03-2011, 11:52 AM
If there's no Minnesota Vikings next year, I don't care what they do. Sucks to think about.

Traveling_Vike
11-03-2011, 12:04 PM
First off, welcome to the site.

But wow, did you ever pick a controversial topic for your first post. Nothing like jumping in to the shark tank.

The guys have already said it all, just like they did in trhe "Trade Harvin" thread a little while ago. The only thing I will add is this. If you think we ar struggling now, just wait until we don't have Peterson, and see how bad it gets. You simply do not trade away one of your very few bright spots in the hopes of getting better down the line.

This is a knee-jerk reaction to a poor season. It happens all the time, across the league, and fortunately, most administrations are smart enough to not give in to the fans' demands. And the Vikings in particular, would seal the deal as far as leaving Minnesota if they tried to move Adrian.

Freakout
11-03-2011, 12:35 PM
I thought the same but that is before I saw how poised Ponder is. The only thing holding us back is management and whether or not they can figure out how to have a successful draft.

MulletMullitia
11-03-2011, 12:46 PM
This has to be a Packers fan trying to get a rise out of us. No real Vikings fan could possibly be this stupid. YOU DON'T TRADE A HALL OF FAME PLAYER! Period. We did that once, remember? How well did that work out for us?

C Mac D
11-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Who cares at this point? I'd be much more concerned with the Vikings playing in Minnesota next year.

idahovikefan7
11-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Not a chance he's traded. This point is moot. There are much larger things to worry about right now than to trade our best player away.

Kwearner
11-03-2011, 02:32 PM
This has to be a Packers fan trying to get a rise out of us. No real Vikings fan could possibly be this stupid. YOU DON'T TRADE A HALL OF FAME PLAYER! Period. We did that once, remember? How well did that work out for us?

That hurts deep I'm anything but a Packers fan. I see reasons to trade him and obviously reasons to keep him as well. I know full well it won't happen, just wanted to hear thoughts on it.

ConnecticutViking
11-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Maybe in the old NFL, but the new NFL with the Salary Cap allows anyone to go from worst to first. Not much separates the top from the bottom and the Vikes are close. A good draft and a couple of off season pickups could put us right back on top. Not to mention, we would have the opportunity to play a weaker schedule due to our rank.

shockzilla
11-03-2011, 03:09 PM
That hurts deep I'm anything but a Packers fan. I see reasons to trade him and obviously reasons to keep him as well. I know full well it won't happen, just wanted to hear thoughts on it. That certainly wasn't being nice to you, seeing as how you are a very new member. Gotta remember though, especially in trying seasons like this one, fans are going to be passionate, sometimes to the excess. You certainly had your right to express your opinion.

Freakout
11-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Maybe in the old NFL, but the new NFL with the Salary Cap allows anyone to go from worst to first. Not much separates the top from the bottom and the Vikes are close. A good draft and a couple of off season pickups could put us right back on top. Not to mention, we would have the opportunity to play a weaker schedule due to our rank.

4 games a year against Arizona and Seattle should help as well.

midgensa
11-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Wow ... a trade Peterson thread? Have not seen one of those before.

CbusVikefan
11-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Good Lord, I saw this and thought my sight was leaving me.
It is a non-viable option. If we got 4 #1 picks for him. and some #2's, a 3, and a couple of 4's maybe. maybe.

battleaxe4cheese
11-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Welcome friend, but to put it as politely as possible, horrible idea. Unless of course you are in favor of seeing 75% of our offense disappear with the flick of a pen. Not to mention 50% of the fan base, albeit fair weather types. Couple that with a 50% reduction is jersey sales= no dice.:(

scottishvike
11-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Although every time I see him putting his body on the line to make that extra inch of yardage, I think this guy is not going to have a long career, I still wouldn't trade him. He's is just too good to give away.

zvike28
11-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Pleas reunite AD with his old coach. Matt Kalil and Bob Stoops will cure all our problems.

TrojanVike28
11-03-2011, 07:19 PM
I saw this thread and my face just looked like this-----> -_-

Purple Floyd
11-03-2011, 08:22 PM
If the deal was right then I think anyone is potential for a trade but it has to be the right trade.

For instance- If Dallas were to offer Ware, Bryant, austin and 4 other players plus 3 1st round picks and a few 2nds I would do that in a heartbeat. But what team would be that dumb to trade that much for a RB? Seriously.

But anything less than a deal that is stupidly one sided doesn't make much sense.

Purple Floyd
11-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Will he bring a few good DB's with him?

i_bleed_purple
11-03-2011, 09:23 PM
For instance- If Dallas were to offer Ware, Bryant, austin and 4 other players plus 3 1st round picks and a few 2nds I would do that in a heartbeat. But what team would be that dumb to trade that much for a RB? Seriously.

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww273/KillerAdam187/Iseewhatyoudidthere.jpg

singersp
11-04-2011, 06:22 AM
YOU DON'T TRADE A HALL OF FAME PLAYER! Period.

So what your saying is you don't think Jared Allen is HOF material?

Purple Floyd
11-04-2011, 07:46 AM
Probably. My guess is KC would love to have him on the team right now. I am not sure who they got with the picks we gave them for Allen but right now it looks like the Chiefs would have been better off dealing fairly with him and keeping him around.

singersp
11-04-2011, 07:53 AM
Probably. My guess is KC would love to have Jim on the team right now. I am not sure who they got with the picks we gave them for Allen but right now it looks like the Chiefs would have been better off dealing fairly with him and keeping him around.

JIm?

Jim who?

Purple Floyd
11-04-2011, 08:00 AM
iPhone does crap like that to me once in a while.

kevoncox
11-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Probably. My guess is KC would love to have him on the team right now. I am not sure who they got with the picks we gave them for Allen but right now it looks like the Chiefs would have been better off dealing fairly with him and keeping him around.

Brandon Albert and Jamaal Charles. Also a Safety but I think they cut Dajuan Morgan ( guessing that was his name).

I would like to see us get Alshon Jeffery. It's like paring Megatron and Peterson on the same team.
Peterson still has atleast 4 elite years left and Jeffery should be up and ready by then. You have Jenkins on the other side, and Harvin in the slot, Rodolph at TE and this offense can rival any in the league. You would then have about 2-3 more drafts to address the OLine and Defense. I don't think you should make the mistakes teams make and go Oline when you have to ability to draft an elite speciality postion... Miami, Cleaveland, Arizona and a host of teams are all teams that have a great LT and still suck. Your oline is a living organizism and 1 position won't make it better. Draft elite talent and then you can allways sign a few more OTs. I rather have an oline made up of 5 players drafted in the 2nd -4th rounds than 1 top five pick and a bunch of bums at WR.

i_bleed_purple
11-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Brandon Albert and Jamaal Charles. Also a Safety but I think they cut Dajuan Morgan ( guessing that was his name).

I would like to see us get Alshon Jeffery. It's like paring Megatron and Peterson on the same team.
Peterson still has atleast 4 elite years left and Jeffery should be up and ready by then. You have Jenkins on the other side, and Harvin in the slot, Rodolph at TE and this offense can rival any in the league. You would then have about 2-3 more drafts to address the OLine and Defense. I don't think you should make the mistakes teams make and go Oline when you have to ability to draft an elite speciality postion... Miami, Cleaveland, Arizona and a host of teams are all teams that have a great LT and still suck. Your oline is a living organizism and 1 position won't make it better. Draft elite talent and then you can allways sign a few more OTs. I rather have an oline made up of 5 players drafted in the 2nd -4th rounds than 1 top five pick and a bunch of bums at WR.

One of the rare times I actually agree with you ;)

Purple Floyd
11-04-2011, 11:47 AM
I also agree that you can get OL later onwouldn't FA. I would still say take the best player available whoever that is because we have enough holes to fll.

NDVikingFan66
11-04-2011, 12:11 PM
I say why stop there? We should see if we can bundle JA and AP into a trade, and revamp our entire team.

Seriously though, I think trading AP right now would be a mistake, but like I said, if we can reverse Herschel Walker someone, I don't think I would argue it too much.

Traveling_Vike
11-04-2011, 12:14 PM
I believe that building a team starts in the trenches, but that does not mean you have to go for linemen in the first round. There are plenty of quality players available in the middle to late rounds who are perfectly capable of doing the job. They may not be "elite" players, but they are solid, and that's what you need.

I'd rather have a deep roster of solid talent than one or two "elite" guys and a bunch of scrubs on my O-line. Likewise on D, but it's a little easier for them to cover problems when there is a superstar lining up there.

You need your stars more at the ball-handling positions, RB, WR and QB. They will win you games, whereas most often a lineman will not.

So, my ideal team starts with a bunch of solid guys on both lines who will do their jobs and let the stars shine.

jargomcfargo
11-04-2011, 12:21 PM

I also agree with this. You can have one great lineman and still have a line that can't get the job done, as we've seen with Hutch on our team.
Although left tackle is an impact player and should be considered higher than the 6th round, I think a speedy wide receiver with good hands,decent hieght and stamina would be worthy of our first pick.
I'm also hoping for a middle linebacker around the second or third round.
Then, cb, o-line, safety, etc.

kevoncox
11-04-2011, 08:55 PM
One of the rare times I actually agree with you ;)
In that case.... I want a punter with the 5th overall pick

thorshammer
11-05-2011, 09:15 AM
We would never get what he's worth in today's NFL ..... He is the Vikings offense ..... He has been loyal to us ..... We should be loyal to him .... Looks like we have a QB now ..... O-line can be fixed with middle rounders .... Fix the secondary and add a receiver and we will be a very good team. Never trade a player like AD.

RK.
11-05-2011, 10:16 AM
This is a dumb thread. Do the Patriots trade Brady away for other players. Is Rodgers on the trading block in order to build the Packers? Are the 49ers trading Frank Gore away for linemen? Please...................

singersp
11-05-2011, 10:35 AM
This is a dumb thread. Do the Patriots trade Brady away for other players. Is Rodgers on the trading block in order to build the Packers? Are the 49ers trading Frank Gore away for linemen? Please...................

No, but perhaps the Colts trade Manning.

Tony Dungy Talks Peyton Manning Trade Possibility, Colts Drafting Andrew Luck (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/24/tony-dungy-peyton-manning-trade-colts-luck_n_1027782.html)

Purple Floyd
11-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Lets trade for Manning. Ponder can sit on the bench and learn from him for 3 years or so and then we can put him in. No need in throwing him to the wolves.

i_bleed_purple
11-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Lets trade for Manning. Ponder can sit on the bench and learn from him for 3 years or so and then we can put him in. No need in throwing him to the wolves.

I bet we could have Kerry Collins for fairly cheap.

Dfoster
11-06-2011, 04:45 AM
Trading AD would have been insane. IBP summed up most of my sentiments earlier in the thread. It looks to me like you have a surprisingly good QB now- "home-grown"- no less, and my honest opinion is that without AD keeping defenses honest, you'd wind up getting Ponder killed back there.

I don't trust your o-line. This is not Puker fan smack, I'm trying to be honest. I have repeatedly acknowledged how much I hate AD, for example...

That is a major compliment to him.

You need trench players, but they don't just magically appear. AD (and the "threat" of AD) is a "fill-in" until you have them, including the defensive side.

How does AD help a defensive line, one might ask...

He helps to keep them off the field in the first friggin' place, an under-appreciated aspect of a great running game.

Again, this is my "non-smack" two-cents, fwiw.

Purple Floyd
11-06-2011, 05:46 AM
I suppose the same thing was said regarding Aikman when they traded Walker. It seems they recovered nicely.

i_bleed_purple
11-06-2011, 10:21 AM
I suppose the same thing was said regarding Aikman when they traded Walker. It seems they recovered nicely.

The point was also made there's no way we get the proper value for AP at this point.

RB's are cheap, you can plug anyone into the lineup and have some success. AP is obviously a gamechanger, but it's hard to justify multiple first-rounders for a guy not guaranteed to play at a high level longer than 2 seasons.

singersp
11-07-2011, 06:39 AM
The point was also made there's no way we get the proper value for AP at this point.

RB's are cheap, you can plug anyone into the lineup and have some success. AP is obviously a gamechanger, but it's hard to justify multiple first-rounders for a guy not guaranteed to play at a high level longer than 2 seasons.

Especially considering the NFL is now a passing league.

AD is going to be worth the most to a team that tries to win games by pounding the ball instead of passing. Out of 32 teams, besides us, how many teams are trying to do that? Anyone?

MulletMullitia
11-07-2011, 06:41 PM

AD is going to be worth the most to a team that tries to win games by pounding the ball instead of passing. Out of 32 teams, besides us, how many teams are trying to do that? Anyone?

49ers. Not doing badly either. Jags too, but they are a shitty team with a rookie QB like us. The 49ers are the only team in the league to do it with any success this year.

midgensa
11-07-2011, 08:35 PM

Actually ... there are SIX teams in the league that run the ball more times per game than the Vikings. The Texans, 49ers, Eagles, Jaguars, Chiefs and Raiders. And the Broncos, Chargers, Falcons and Bengals all are within ONE carry of the Vikings. So, yes, there are plenty of teams trying to pound the ball.

The majority of those teams are also near the bottom of the league in pass attempts (Texans, Chiefs, Raiders, 49ers, Jaguars) ... so definitely teams that are "trying to pound the ball."

While the league has definitely evolved to more passing, there are definitely plenty of running teams left out there. The 49ers, Jaguars, Vikings, Chiefs and Texans all in fact run the ball more than they pass.

He would definitely be a commodity to a lot of teams that would LIKE to run the ball more also (i.e. Jets, Dolphins, Bucs, etc. A lot of teams pass because it is their best option, their offense would change DRASTICALLY with the addition of a talent like Adrian Peterson.

As for AD only having "2 more good years left" as some have posted here ... there is NO reason to think he won't be as effective as he is now until he is 30 as that is the typical RB wall. That would be FOUR more years after this one.

He would command quite a bit in the trade market, but I still think it would be a HUGE mistake to move the face of the franchise right now.

singersp
11-08-2011, 06:29 AM
Actually ... there are SIX teams in the league that run the ball more times per game than the Vikings. The Texans, 49ers, Eagles, Jaguars, Chiefs and Raiders. And the Broncos, Chargers, Falcons and Bengals all are within ONE carry of the Vikings. So, yes, there are plenty of teams trying to pound the ball.

The majority of those teams are also near the bottom of the league in pass attempts (Texans, Chiefs, Raiders, 49ers, Jaguars) ... so definitely teams that are "trying to pound the ball."

While the league has definitely evolved to more passing, there are definitely plenty of running teams left out there. The 49ers, Jaguars, Vikings, Chiefs and Texans all in fact run the ball more than they pass.

He would definitely be a commodity to a lot of teams that would LIKE to run the ball more also (i.e. Jets, Dolphins, Bucs, etc. A lot of teams pass because it is their best option, their offense would change DRASTICALLY with the addition of a talent like Adrian Peterson.

As for AD only having "2 more good years left" as some have posted here ... there is NO reason to think he won't be as effective as he is now until he is 30 as that is the typical RB wall. That would be FOUR more years after this one.

He would command quite a bit in the trade market, but I still think it would be a HUGE mistake to move the face of the franchise right now.

Thanx for the feedback. Of those teams, Eagles have McCoy, 49ers have Gore, Jaguars have Maurice Jones-Drew, Falcons have Turner, Houston has Foster & Tate, Raiders have McFadden & Denver has McGahee. They are all in the top 11 RB's in the league, so I don't think they'd mortgage the farm to get AD & would keep what they have.

That would rule out 7 of those 10 teams & leave 6 of the teams you mentioned. Chiefs, Chargers, Bengals, Jets, Dolphins & Bucs.

IMO, unless one of those teams were on the cusp of contention for a SB run & needed that one extra piece to put them there, they wouldn't pay the price for a few more good years out of AD. That would mean the Bengals, Chargers & Jets would be the best possibilities.

Then it becomes a question of how much are they willing to give for AD for whats left of his career & how much would we ask.

No one can say for sure how much longer AD's career as a top performer will last, but as hard as he runs and as much physical contact as he sees, he may not hit that typical RB wall of 30.

Marrdro
11-08-2011, 02:30 PM
I marvel at all the stuff that gets spewed on here......"Its a passing league"......LOL.

Its a league that rewards teams that are balanced, not teams that rely on running solely or passing solely.

Something to watch, for those of you who follow stuff like I do, see how many teams lost and still passed for over 300 yards and see how many teams won and threw for less than 300 yards but had a running game that got them around 100 yards.

Again, its all about balance. As the rest of the season unfolds and the weather starts to turn her ugly head, this will even become more evident, for those that care to look.

i_bleed_purple
11-08-2011, 03:16 PM
I marvel at all the stuff that gets spewed on here......"Its a passing league"......LOL.

Its a league that rewards teams that are balanced, not teams that rely on running solely or passing solely.

Yes, you're right. The Saints and Packers both didn't just recently win a superbowl by having a top-flight passing game but not much of a run game.

Spewed indeed

Something to watch, for those of you who follow stuff like I do, see how many teams lost and still passed for over 300 yards and see how many teams won and threw for less than 300 yards but had a running game that got them around 100 yards.
And how many teams pass for over 300 yards and still win? Quite a few.

Again, its all about balance. As the rest of the season unfolds and the weather starts to turn her ugly head, this will even become more evident, for those that care to look.

I'd agree, balance is incredibly important. However, you can also get away with having a 4000 yard passer and be a dominant team. Much harder to have a 1500 yard rusher, but no pass game and still dominate the league.

Caine
11-08-2011, 03:32 PM

Ummmm...Green Bay has a crap Defense, and a crap running game.....yet they won a Superbowl and are currently undefeated.

They are not in any way, shape, or form "balanced".

singersp
11-09-2011, 07:27 AM

Why don't you whip out the ole spreadsheet & show us which teams have as many passing attempts as they do rushing attempts, which teams have as more passing attempts as they do rushing attempts & which teams have fewer passing attempts as they do rushing attempts.

We have a balanced attack. How is that working for us?

GB has thrown the ball 266 times & given it to a rusher 171 times (61%-39%). How is that working for them?

jargomcfargo
11-09-2011, 09:14 AM
I think teams are more a product of what their personel allow them to be.
If you have AD and a bunch of average at best receivers, you trend toward a run dominant defense. If you have Rodgers and a bunch of good receivers you become pass happy.

Green Bay exploits the opponents nickel and dime backs.

Minnesota exploits...what? Kliensassers blocking ability?