PDA

View Full Version : Childress shouldn’t get a second chance

Purple Floyd
10-31-2011, 08:26 PM
Yeah, he is no longer with the team but this is a good one...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/page/2/

“It will be an upset if Childress isn’t a candidate for a head coaching job or two in the offseason,” Pompei writes, explaining that front offices are taking a “harder look” at Childress’ efforts given the Vikings’ performances following his departure. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/page/2/)
Front offices should look a lot harder.

True phrase:

Childress proved the Peter Principle at the NFL level, rising through the ranks to a level that ultimately was above his head. Childress is less deserving of another shot than Super Bowl-winner Brian Billick, two-time NFC finalist Dennis Green, or even NFC champion Jim Fassel.

Gift
10-31-2011, 08:46 PM
It's wrong. 2 Division Titles, a trip to the NFC championship in 5 years is not a terrible resume.

Chilly's Record
6-10
8-8
10-6
12-4
3-7
39-35 (.527)

Here is another head coaches first 5 years...
6-10
7-9
7-9
11-5
5-11
36-44 (.450)
But I'm sure William Stephen Belichick didn't deserve another chance either.

Purple Floyd
10-31-2011, 09:58 PM
It's wrong. 2 Division Titles, a trip to the NFC championship in 5 years is not a terrible resume.

Chilly's Record
6-10
8-8
10-6
12-4
3-7
39-35 (.527)

6-10
7-9
7-9
11-5
5-11
36-44 (.450)

At first I checked the calendar in case that was an April Fools joke but I guess Halloween is the next best thing.:rofl:

Gift
10-31-2011, 11:30 PM
At first I checked the calendar in case that was an April Fools joke but I guess Halloween is the next best thing.:rofl:I assume that you then agree with me since you offered absolutely nothing to dispute my statement.

Caine
11-01-2011, 12:19 AM
I assume that you then agree with me since you offered absolutely nothing to dispute my statement.

I disagree with you completely. I wouldn't give Chiller a job waiting tables at an A&W.

First, the two Divison Titles were courtesy of Gus Frerotte and Brett Favre - both of whom won despite Chiller.

Further, the article lists a few of the more egregious errors Chiller made, but only touches on the fact that the lack of critical depth we are currently laboring with is the direct result of Chiller's talent acquisition abilities.

As I've stated numerous times before, touting his win-loss record alone as validation of him as a coach is empty. Look at what else was happening in the Division. In '08, we were the beneficiaries of Chicago and Green Bay melting down. In '09, it was Favre.

Chiller is a poor HC. He was a poor OC as well as Andy Reid called all the plays in Philly, and Barry Alveraz called all the plays at Wisconsin.

That said, I would LOVE for Chiller to get the job in Chicago if Lovie gets fired...

...because I know that the Bears would suck balls the entire time he was there.

Caine

Traveling_Vike
11-01-2011, 01:44 AM
In general terms, I'm all in favor of giving anyone a second chance. If some team out there is desperate enough for a new HC and can't see that there are so many better candidates out there, then let them hire him.

As a Head Coach, your record is never really your own. Like Quarterbacks, they get too much of the credit as well as too much of the blame. But there are some very telling things that Childress did (or didn't do) that just scream of incompetence and, IMO general immaturity. Public flareups with players, vast overreactions, poor clock management... the lost goes on and on.

If at some point he shows that he has matured as a person, then maybe he might do the same as a Coach. But until I see it, I would not be offering him a job.

MulletMullitia
11-01-2011, 04:23 AM
I disagree with you completely. I wouldn't give Chiller a job waiting tables at an A&W.

First, the two Divison Titles were courtesy of Gus Frerotte and Brett Favre - both of whom won despite Chiller.

Further, the article lists a few of the more egregious errors Chiller made, but only touches on the fact that the lack of critical depth we are currently laboring with is the direct result of Chiller's talent acquisition abilities.

As I've stated numerous times before, touting his win-loss record alone as validation of him as a coach is empty. Look at what else was happening in the Division. In '08, we were the beneficiaries of Chicago and Green Bay melting down. In '09, it was Favre.

Chiller is a poor HC. He was a poor OC as well as Andy Reid called all the plays in Philly, and Barry Alveraz called all the plays at Wisconsin.

That said, I would LOVE for Chiller to get the job in Chicago if Lovie gets fired...

Caine

Um... holy shit... I think I need to lay down. This can't be right. I'm about to add a +1 to the end of a Caine quote. And I also will say that I couldn't have said it better myself.

singersp
11-01-2011, 08:08 AM
Who cares if he gets another HC job on another team. I would welcome it. Especially if we play that team during the year. It's one less team we would need to worry about.

Marrdro
11-01-2011, 08:58 AM
I assume that you then agree with me since you offered absolutely nothing to dispute my statement.
Don't worry my friend. Thats the PPO way of admitting that they are wrong on a certain discussion point.

Purple Floyd
11-01-2011, 09:01 AM
Don't worry my friend. Thats the PPO way of admitting that they are wrong on a certain discussion point.

Funny- If that is the case then you should put it in your sig line. lol

Actually it is my way of saying it was not worthy of a response, but feel free to try again and maybe next time.....

Marrdro
11-01-2011, 09:03 AM

Caine
LOL, this is funny. Didn't we hear the following from you?

TJ will never be a starter in the NFL. (Oooops starting).
TJ will never get starters money. (Oooops getting starters money).
TJ will never pass for 300 yards. (Oooops did it twice this year. Once it was in a bit over 2 quarters and against the number 2 defense).
TJ will never make players better. (Ooooops, compare the production of he Seahawks with Whitehurst under center vs TJ under center).
TJ will never command respect from his teamates (Oooooops, better go read what they are saying about him)
TJ will never be a NFL level QB. (Oooops, even national announcers - along with most of the Seahawks local press, are now recanting that).

As with your blind hatred for TJ, you are missing the mark on the Chiller as well. He will not only be a HC again, he will probably, in all likelyhood make the team better than when he found it, just like he did in MN.

Marrdro
11-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Funny- If that is the case then you should put it in your sig line. lol

Actually it is my way of saying it was not worthy of a response, but feel free to try again and maybe next time.....
Not worthy of a resonse, and yet you responded. Comeon my friend. Pretty lame. :p

Purple Floyd
11-01-2011, 09:06 AM
If you call what TJ is doing successful it certainly explains a lot. All he is doing is what a backup quality QB should be able to do and that is all that most people feel he was. And if you would be happier with him on the team than what we have had so far even in 2 games with Ponder then I feel bad for you.

Purple Floyd
11-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Not worthy of a resonse, and yet you responded. Comeon my friend. Pretty lame. :p

My response was to you, not to him. You are always worthy of responding to.

Caine
11-01-2011, 09:10 AM

TJ will never pass for 300 yards. (Oooops did it twice this year. Once it was in a bit over 2 quarters and against the number 2 defense).
TJ will never make players better. (Ooooops, compare the production of he Seahawks with Whitehurst under center vs TJ under center).
TJ will never command respect from his teamates (Oooooops, better go read what they are saying about him)
TJ will never be a NFL level QB. (Oooops, even national announcers - along with most of the Seahawks local press, are now recanting that).

As with your blind hatred for TJ, you are missing the mark on the Chiller as well. He will not only be a HC again, he will probably, in all likelyhood make the team better than when he found it, just like he did in MN.

Again, twisting what I said doesn't make me wrong or you right.

If you want to consider Jackson a viable QB, feel free - I certainly don't.

He starts on a team that has Charlie Whithurst as a backup.... YOU would start on that team.

He was signed by the team that hired Darrel Bevell to be their OC...DARREL BEVELL!!!! If you don't know what I think of Bevell by know, you haven't been reading.

He "commanded the respect" of his team mates here too. Remember when the Favre noise first started and the vocal few started clamoring about how much they believed in Jackson? That tune sure changed in a hurry in '09...and we let his "confidence building" ass go in '11. But we sure did respect him...

I will allow the writer at Rotowire.com to sum up how I feel about this weeks Jackson debacle:

Jackson, who entered Sunday's game in the second quarter, unexpectedly did not start because coach Pete Carroll thought "he could have used another week" to heal his injured pectoral, the Tacoma News Tribune reports.

And yet in his very next breath, Carroll said, "In my mind I knew he could play." If Jackson, as Carroll also affirmed, gives the team the best chance to win, and if he's healthy enough to play, why hold him out? Perhaps there's something behind the scenes that excuses the move. Other than that, it's hard to understand why an NFL head coach would use his inferior backup to see if he "can get something going." Jackson finished 21-of-40 for a career-high 323 yards, though it was a hollow 300-yard game as he failed to move the offense effectively.
(Rotowire.com)

You were saying?

Oh, and Chiller left this team better than he found it? Really? Red *sucks squirrels* used to try and make that claim about himself too...we laughed then as well.

Caine

Marrdro
11-01-2011, 09:23 AM

If you want to consider Jackson a viable QB, feel free - I certainly don't. I will allow the writer at Rotowire.com to sum up how I feel about this weeks Jackson debacle:

Jackson, who entered Sunday's game in the second quarter, unexpectedly did not start because coach Pete Carroll thought "he could have used another week" to heal his injured pectoral, the Tacoma News Tribune reports.

And yet in his very next breath, Carroll said, "n my mind I knew he could play." If Jackson, as Carroll also affirmed, gives the team the best chance to win, and if he's healthy enough to play, why hold him out? Perhaps there's something behind the scenes that excuses the move. Other than that, it's hard to understand why an NFL head coach would use his inferior backup to see if he "can get something going." Jackson finished 21-of-40 for a career-high 323 yards, though it was a hollow 300-yard game as he failed to move the offense effectively.
(Rotowire.com)

You were saying?

Caine

LOL, I raise your yutz with several other yutz's.

Coach Pete Carroll and Jackson both said they’d hoped they could rest him for another week before bringing him back. The plan was to see if Whitehurst would come out and be functional, and if not, then bring on Jackson

Why use Whitehurst needlessly? | Seattle Seahawks - The News Tribune (http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/10/31/1886725/why-use-whitehurst-needlessly.html)

Whitehurst, Seattle's backup quarterback, started for the second consecutive game because Jackson is still dealing with a strained pectoral muscle, suffered in an Oct. 9 game against the New York Giants. Jackson has practiced sparingly since his injury, though a promising workout on Friday left his status a game-time decision.

"I was hoping to see if we could rest (Jackson) another week," Carroll said. "He could throw the ball well enough to play, but he could've used another week. ... I was going to see if Charlie could pull it together, get something going and help us out, but it just didn't look like we were moving anywhere."

Seahawks' offense sputters against Bengals | HeraldNet.com - Sports (http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20111031/SPORTS/710319886/1018/SPORTS09#Seahawks-offense-sputters)

Some other interesting quotes in this ESPN article that kindof lend credence to our little beer bet.

Rapid Reaction: Bengals 34, Seahawks 12 - NFC West Blog - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/49970/rapid-reaction-bengals-34-seahawks-12)

Alls I can say is, Freeeeeeeee Beeeeeerrrrrrr......MMMMMMMM GOOOOD.

singersp
11-01-2011, 09:35 AM

Chilly's Record
6-10
8-8
10-6
12-4
3-7
39-35 (.527)

6-10
7-9
7-9
11-5
5-11
36-44 (.450)

So what you're saying is that if Childress does happen to get another chance, he should start cheating?

Caine
11-01-2011, 09:47 AM
LOL, I raise your yutz with several other yutz's.

Why use Whitehurst needlessly? | Seattle Seahawks - The News Tribune (http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/10/31/1886725/why-use-whitehurst-needlessly.html)

Seahawks' offense sputters against Bengals | HeraldNet.com - Sports (http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20111031/SPORTS/710319886/1018/SPORTS09#Seahawks-offense-sputters)

Some other interesting quotes in this ESPN article that kindof lend credence to our little beer bet.

Rapid Reaction: Bengals 34, Seahawks 12 - NFC West Blog - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/49970/rapid-reaction-bengals-34-seahawks-12)

Alls I can say is, Freeeeeeeee Beeeeeerrrrrrr......MMMMMMMM GOOOOD.

Are you serious?

When you're a 2-4 team in a weak Division, you don't leave your best option on the bench and "hope" that a shitty back up will be "functional"....you put in your BEST option all day, every day.

If Jackson is so good, if he gave them the best chance to win, WHY WAS HE ON THE PINE? Don't say to rest/heal, because REAL QB's can play through some pain.

Look at it another way...why are we NOT protecting Ponder and allowing him to grow within the system by playing McNabb in a clearly lost season? Because we are still PLAYING TO WIN.

What in the hell is Seattle doing?

Caine

Marrdro
11-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Are you serious?

When you're a 2-4 team in a weak Division, you don't leave your best option on the bench and "hope" that a shitty back up will be "functional"....you put in your BEST option all day, every day.

If Jackson is so good, if he gave them the best chance to win, WHY WAS HE ON THE PINE? Don't say to rest/heal, because REAL QB's can play through some pain.

Look at it another way...why are we NOT protecting Ponder and allowing him to grow within the system by playing McNabb in a clearly lost season? Because we are still PLAYING TO WIN.

What in the hell is Seattle doing?

Caine
Why you arguing with me over the starter. I'm not the lame duck HC who made a butt load of stupid, very stupid decisions last Sunday.

Look, I'm not trying to explain WHY the HC did it. I just gave you quotes from him on the subject.

MMMMMMM, Beeeeeeer. I might even send TJ a couple that you buy me as a reward. :)

Marrdro
11-01-2011, 10:12 AM
TFD: Brad Childress a hot NFL head coaching prospect for 2012?Former Vikings coach Brad Childress is looking like a better coach with each passing week. A few months ago, some people were predicting Childress would never be a head coach again. Front offices are starting to take a harder look at what Childress accomplished in Minnesota within the context of how the Vikings are performing now. It will be an upset if Childress isn’t a candidate for a head coaching job or two in the offseason.

TFD: Brad Childress a hot NFL head coaching prospect for 2012? | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/132957753.html)

WOW. This is starting to get some traction. LOL. I know alot of you will be upset when it happens.

i_bleed_purple
11-01-2011, 10:37 AM
TFD: Brad Childress a hot NFL head coaching prospect for 2012? | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/132957753.html)

WOW. This is starting to get some traction. LOL. I know alot of you will be upset when it happens.

WOW indeed. Considering you pick and choose the paragraph you want.

Fromt he same article:

Florio already took the meat cleaver to this one. Can't say we disagree with his most lucid thought: At most, Childress should get another opportunity to be an offensive coordinator, and if he does well then maybe he should be considered eventually for a head-coaching job. But to suggest that the Vikings’ current predicament should make Childress look good by comparison is to ignore Chilly’s role in running the ship aground.

marshallvike
11-01-2011, 11:46 AM
I would be more than happy for Childress to get another chance.
With the Bears, Pukers, or Lions.

You can add Cowboys to that list, just because I have despised them since a few minutes before the whiskey bottle in the end zone.

marstc09
11-01-2011, 12:11 PM
funny- if that is the case then you should put it in your sig line. Lol

actually it is my way of saying it was not worthy of a response, but feel free to try again and maybe next time.....

owned :chickenfightsmall:

marstc09
11-01-2011, 12:12 PM

Fromt he same article:

The funny part is most of his success came when Favre was here but I am sure he will ignore that too.

marstc09
11-01-2011, 12:18 PM

T-JOKE having a winning record...Ooooooppps he blows!
T-JOKE winning a playoff game...Oooooppps he blows!
T-JOKE having more TDs than INTs..Oooooppppps he blows!

Funny how you rag on Favre for that but not T-JOKE. Typical Marrdro BS.

marstc09
11-01-2011, 12:19 PM
If you call what TJ is doing successful it certainly explains a lot. All he is doing is what a backup quality QB should be able to do and that is all that most people feel he was. And if you would be happier with him on the team than what we have had so far even in 2 games with Ponder then I feel bad for you.

Post of the year!

marstc09
11-01-2011, 12:27 PM

If you want to consider Jackson a viable QB, feel free - I certainly don't.

He starts on a team that has Charlie Whithurst as a backup.... YOU would start on that team.

He was signed by the team that hired Darrel Bevell to be their OC...DARREL BEVELL!!!! If you don't know what I think of Bevell by know, you haven't been reading.

He "commanded the respect" of his team mates here too. Remember when the Favre noise first started and the vocal few started clamoring about how much they believed in Jackson? That tune sure changed in a hurry in '09...and we let his "confidence building" ass go in '11. But we sure did respect him...

I will allow the writer at Rotowire.com to sum up how I feel about this weeks Jackson debacle:

And yet in his very next breath, Carroll said, "In my mind I knew he could play." If Jackson, as Carroll also affirmed, gives the team the best chance to win, and if he's healthy enough to play, why hold him out? Perhaps there's something behind the scenes that excuses the move. Other than that, it's hard to understand why an NFL head coach would use his inferior backup to see if he "can get something going." Jackson finished 21-of-40 for a career-high 323 yards, though it was a hollow 300-yard game as he failed to move the offense effectively.
(Rotowire.com)

You were saying?

Oh, and Chiller left this team better than he found it? Really? Red *sucks squirrels* used to try and make that claim about himself too...we laughed then as well.

Caine

Amazing post but why do you even waste your time anymore?

marstc09
11-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Why you arguing with me over the starter. I'm not the lame duck HC who made a butt load of stupid, very stupid decisions last Sunday.

Look, I'm not trying to explain WHY the HC did it. I just gave you quotes from him on the subject.

MMMMMMM, Beeeeeeer. I might even send TJ a couple that you buy me as a reward. :)

Maybe you can put your resume into the Seahawks hands. I am sure they would consider you.

:petersaysowsmall:

jargomcfargo
11-01-2011, 12:48 PM
I've learned one thing from this never ending nightmare, scourge of PP.O, TJ debate; never place a bet with a lunatic !

MulletMullitia
11-01-2011, 06:19 PM

Could it be? Yes...I think it is. The worst post that I have ever read in my entire internet life. On this forum or any other. Wow man. Just wow. In a Caine vs. Marrdro argument, I planned on being Switzerland. But this is just ridiculous. I gotta side with Caine. You're argument is ridiculous. TJ sucks, and always has sucked. Brad Childress was the worst head coach in NFL history. I would rather hand the reigns over to Dave fucking Wannstedt than give Brad Childress another chance here or anywhere else. He is a disgrace to head coaches on any level, and has never earned a single player's respect. With this post, you have lost my remaining respect. Which wasn't really much to begin with. WPOTY. Worst post of the year. Hey, at least you're a nice guy lol. I'll give you that.

Gift
11-01-2011, 07:26 PM
My response was to you, not to him. You are always worthy of responding to.You did respond, it's just that you had nothing to defend your point so you tried to deflect me with a lame joke. It is a boring and overused tactic.

Gift
11-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Caine, I am always interested in what you have to say, I just rarely agree with it.

example:
"courtesy of Gus Frerotte" The only time that sentence fragment should be uttered is if it is preceded by the word "turnover".

Also you say he was a poor this & a poor that but what you don't recognise or choose not to is that you have to justify those statement explaining stats away. Stats back up my point with no justification needed.

The difference in our opinions is that yours seems to be emotionally based where as mine is cold hard logic.

Gift
11-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Maybe you can put your resume into the Seahawks hands. I am sure they would consider you.

:petersaysowsmall:I have never seem so many posts in a row by the same person that where all wrong. Grats!

i_bleed_purple
11-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Caine, I am always interested in what you have to say, I just rarely agree with it.

example:
"courtesy of Gus Frerotte" The only time that sentence fragment should be uttered is if it is preceded by the word "turnover".

Also you say he was a poor this & a poor that but what you don't recognise or choose not to is that you have to justify those statement explaining stats away. Stats back up my point with no justification needed.

The difference in our opinions is that yours seems to be emotionally based where as mine is cold hard logic.

Here's some "Cold Hard Logic"

Gus Frerotte singlehandedly turned the season around in 2008. Without him, it's probably another 6-10 season, so yes, Childress got credit for a playoff appearance "Courtesy of Gus Frerotte"

Gift
11-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Here's some "Cold Hard Logic"

Gus Frerotte singlehandedly turned the season around in 2008. Without him, it's probably another 6-10 season, so yes, Childress got credit for a playoff appearance "Courtesy of Gus Frerotte"
QB Gus Frerotte 178 for 301, 2,157 yards, 12 td, 15 int
QB Tarvaris Jackson 88 for 149, 1,056 yards, 9 td, 2 int

Interesting article looking at QB's stats & adjusting for strength of schedule
2008 QB numbers: Adjusted for strength of schedule » Pro-football-reference.com blog » Blog Archive (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=3190)

A quick recap
#4 T-Jack
#30 Ferotte

In closing your post was also based from emotion, not fact.

i_bleed_purple
11-01-2011, 08:00 PM
QB Gus Frerotte 178 for 301, 2,157 yards, 12 td, 15 int
QB Tarvaris Jackson 88 for 149, 1,056 yards, 9 td, 2 int

Interesting article looking at QB's stats & adjusting for strength of schedule
2008 QB numbers: Adjusted for strength of schedule » Pro-football-reference.com blog » Blog Archive (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=3190)

A quick recap
#4 T-Jack
#30 Ferotte

In closing your post was also based from emotion, not fact.

Ah, right. "Adjusted" stats. Great facts there.

How about some real facts that matter. Wins.
1: TJ Loss
2: TJ Loss
3: Gus win
4: Gus Loss
5: Gus Win
6: Gus Win
7: Gus Loss
8: Gus Win
9: Gus Win
10: Gus Loss
11: Gus Win
12: Gus Win
13: Gus/TJ Win
14: TJ Win
15: TJ Loss
16: TJ Win

TJ: 3-3 (I"ll give him full credit for the Lions game
Gus: 7-3

Yeah, Gus had shitty stats, but he got the ball out there, made plays and gave us a real chance every week.

TJ sat there, shat himself and got hurt. As per usual.

Gift
11-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Thank you
"How about some real facts that matter. Wins."

Now lets flash back to my first post that Caine didn't agree with & you supported him:
"2 Division Titles, a trip to the NFC championship in 5 years is not a terrible resume.

Chilly's Record
6-10
8-8
10-6
12-4
3-7
39-35 (.527)"

Now do wins matter or not?

Coach before chilly 32-33-0
Chilly 39-35
After Chilly 5-9

The "facts that matter" say we were better off during Chilly's time here.

i_bleed_purple
11-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Thank you

Now lets flash back to my first post that Caine didn't agree with & you supported him:
"2 Division Titles, a trip to the NFC championship in 5 years is not a terrible resume.

Chilly's Record
6-10
8-8
10-6
12-4
3-7
39-35 (.527)"

not when the whole point of my post was explaining how those wins had absolutely nothing to do with Childress's skill as a coach.

Good teams can make shitty coaches look good

But more than anything, I'd say our wins had to do with a certain number two-eight.

Gift
11-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Or maybe a decent coach can make a mediocre team look better than they are.

I agree that #28 is a major factor but he hasn't saved us the last two years, not drawing a conclusion on that, just saying.

i_bleed_purple
11-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Or maybe a decent coach can make a mediocre team look better than they are.

I agree that #28 is a major factor but he hasn't saved us the last two years, not drawing a conclusion on that, just saying.

?

28 is doing the best he possibly can.

in 2007, He did great with limited time, and Chester had a good season splitting time. Only reason they did as well as 6-10 is because of that run game.

in 08, Peterson was on fire again, but we couldn't pass the ball until Gus took over. Once we were able to pass AND run, we actually started winning. Add in a good defense, and we made the playoffs.

in 09, we got a real quarterback who could not only pass, but pass at a very high level. Add in beast mode AP, and a still top-5 defense, and we were a top team despite the coaching.
in 10, our QB was hurt, our Defense started slipping. Couldn't block, couldn't catch. We sucked

in 11, new QB, didn't play very well, defense sucked. New QB takes over and breathes new life.

Is it a coincidence that every time we bring in a new QB who actually plays well, we seem to be closer to winning than when we play ahve shit QB performances?

It has nothing to do with Childress just as how our improvement the past two weeks has nothing to do with Fraizer (other than having the balls to sit McNabb).

C Mac D
11-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Anyone who thinks Childress deserves a second chance is a casual football fan who doesn't fully grasp the game. There's no way he deserves a second chance, not in Minnesota at least... if there's even a team in Minnesota moving forward.

You can point to record as a head coach, but with the amount of talent on his team and his forcing a system that didn't work caused our team to see far less success than it should have.

Bottom line, you can point to whatever you want... if you think Childress deserves a second chance, you're wrong. Go back to watching Sesame Street.

C Mac D
11-01-2011, 08:50 PM
We're talking about a coach that didn't understand punting the ball with less that two minutes and no timeouts ends the game... a HEAD COACH... nuff said.

i_bleed_purple
11-01-2011, 09:12 PM
We're talking about a coach that didn't understand punting the ball with less that two minutes and no timeouts ends the game... a HEAD COACH... nuff said.

There's no arguing that point.

Gift
11-01-2011, 09:39 PM
There's no arguing that point.
True, no one can ever make a mistake. It is good to be chatting with someone who has never done anything stupid at his job ever. People make mistake, sometimes dumb mistake & then they learn from them & get better. What we do is minnesota is we sit through all the mistakes & learning curve & then after all the growing pains we fire them/cut them.

Gift
11-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Anyone who thinks Childress deserves a second chance is a casual football fan who doesn't fully grasp the game. There's no way he deserves a second chance, not in Minnesota at least... if there's even a team in Minnesota moving forward.

You can point to record as a head coach, but with the amount of talent on his team and his forcing a system that didn't work caused our team to see far less success than it should have.

Bottom line, you can point to whatever you want... if you think Childress deserves a second chance, you're wrong. Go back to watching Sesame Street.I love when arrogant people are wrong while they talk down to others. :think:

i_bleed_purple
11-01-2011, 10:29 PM
True, no one can ever make a mistake. It is good to be chatting with someone who has never done anything stupid at his job ever. People make mistake, sometimes dumb mistake & then they learn from them & get better. What we do is minnesota is we sit through all the mistakes & learning curve & then after all the growing pains we fire them/cut them.

Childress punting on 3rd down is the equivalent to me pouring a pitcher of water over a computer and hoping it will get rid of a virus. Both a stupid, and both should get you fired.

i_bleed_purple
11-01-2011, 10:30 PM
I love when arrogant people are wrong while they talk down to others. :think:

I have still yet to hear an explanation on how exactly he is wrong in this thread (not other threads, but this one)

midgensa
11-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Childress punting on 3rd down is the equivalent to me pouring a pitcher of water over a computer and hoping it will get rid of a virus. Both a stupid, and both should get you fired.

Made me laugh ... and consider pouring water on my computer at work and seeing what happens ...

Purple Floyd
11-01-2011, 10:50 PM
You did respond, it's just that you had nothing to defend your point so you tried to deflect me with a lame joke. It is a boring and overused tactic.

Your trolling is really the only tired tactic on this board. Bring something to the table besides a lame attempt to justify Childress and jackson and I will be all ears.

Purple Floyd
11-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Thank you

Chilly's Record
6-10
8-8
10-6
12-4
3-7
39-35 (.527)"

Coach before chilly 32-33-0
Chilly 39-35
After Chilly 5-9

The "facts that matter" say we were better off during Chilly's time here.

Here is a good recap-

We heard since day 1 that he had a "KAO". Yet the only time the offense was really kickass was when he brought in Brett Farve, who routinely changed plays to be more effective than what was originally called. And that only lasted until his tired old body was beat to a pulp. After that the KAO was chopped off at the legs.

We were told (Mostly by a guy holding a flat fish in his avatar) that Childress was building a team to be competitive over the long term with talent that fit his system and yet time after time the players that were drafted outside the 1st round failed to really fit into the system and thus the team started to disintegrate. He also did not command the respect of the team and I feel when he caved to Brett and let him do what he pleased he set a precedent that totally ruined his chances to be successful as a coach.

Sure, he looked dead sexy wearing that dress on the plane and that hat with the crazy hair was a classic that will live on for decades, but when the rubber hit the road he could not measure up to the coaches he faced in the big games and that is not a coach I want on my team. Sure, if he went to Chicago, Dallas, Detroit or Green Bay I would be all for him getting a lifetime contract. But to thing that he is going to get a serious look when guys like Billick, Gruden, Cowher who have won a SB are still out there and guys like Denny Green, who was twice the coach that Childress ever wished to be I see it as highly unlikely he gets a HC job. Then again maybe he goes to Seattle, they will take anyone the Vikings ditch.

Gift
11-02-2011, 12:23 AM
I have still yet to hear an explanation on how exactly he is wrong in this thread (not other threads, but this one)
Ok this is just for you. I didn't point out how he was wrong because I thought it was obvious.

Anyone who thinks Childress deserves a second chance is a casual football fan who doesn't fully grasp the game. There's no way he deserves a second chanceFirst flawed assumption: C Mac has no football credentials I am aware of. He is not a successful GM of any football team nor has he ever been. Therefor his statement is a matter of opinion and is not right by default. I have spent this thread putting up sound logic, reason & statistics to back up my statements, at this point he has not.

P.S. Never had I said he should coach again for the Vikes, just that he should coach again.

You can point to record as a head coach, but with the amount of talent on his team and his forcing a system that didn't work caused our team to see far less success than it should have. Second flawed assumption: Assuming because we did well this team was loaded with talent & not that the coaching may have been a factor. The current team has many of the same players as the previous teams that were successful so then why are we not successful this year? Probably alot of reasons but it has brought to light that this team may not be nearly a talented as we thought they were. Our secondary is poor, our o-line is poor, are LB's are sub par, our d-line has 1 talented player & our WR's are poor. Again, there are alot of the same jersey as two years ago but so where is all this talent? Age & injuries plays a factor but to assume the team was talented & did well despite of coaching is a very big assumption with the facts we now have.

Bottom line, you can point to whatever you want... if you think Childress deserves a second chance, you're wrong. Go back to watching Sesame Street.Yes, being rude really adds to the value of his post.

Gift
11-02-2011, 12:26 AM
Your trolling is really the only tired tactic on this board. Bring something to the table besides a lame attempt to justify Childress and jackson and I will be all ears.As I recall I posted my opinion along with stats & comparisons to the best active coach & you responded with a dismissive & disrespectful reply but I'm trolling? Do you think just because you have more posts that makes you more right?

Gift
11-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Here is a good recap-

We heard since day 1 that he had a "KAO". Yet the only time the offense was really kickass was when he brought in Brett Farve, who routinely changed plays to be more effective than what was originally called. And that only lasted until his tired old body was beat to a pulp. After that the KAO was chopped off at the legs.I don't disagree with this.

We were told (Mostly by a guy holding a flat fish in his avatar) that Childress was building a team to be competitive over the long term with talent that fit his system and yet time after time the players that were drafted outside the 1st round failed to really fit into the system and thus the team started to disintegrate. He also did not command the respect of the team and I feel when he caved to Brett and let him do what he pleased he set a precedent that totally ruined his chances to be successful as a coach.perhaps also correct, he gambled with a huge ego & took his chances. I don't agree that this was unforgivable. It may very well have ruined his chances to continue to be the vikings head coach but that is not what this thread is about.

...but when the rubber hit the road he could not measure up to the coaches he faced in the big games and that is not a coach I want on my team. Sure, if he went to Chicago, Dallas, Detroit or Green Bay I would be all for him getting a lifetime contract. But to thing that he is going to get a serious look when guys like Billick, Gruden, Cowher who have won a SB are still out there and guys like Denny Green, who was twice the coach that Childress ever wished to be I see it as highly unlikely he gets a HC job. Then again maybe he goes to Seattle, they will take anyone the Vikings ditch.Here is where I disagree. The last two "BIG GAMES" he coached his team completely dominated the Cowboys & the Saints. It is not his fault that we fumbled 47 times in the NFC championship. He out coached wade & he out coached payton and people here only want to hand out blame, never credit.

Off Topic: Gruden & Cowher are completely overrated. Cowher took 14 years, no way would we give any coach that kind of time & Gruden won it with Dungy's team.

C Mac D
11-02-2011, 01:10 AM
Just give it up, Gift. I doubt Childress will ever be offered another Head Coaching job in the NFL. He simply can't communicate with his players and repeatedly lied to the press and fans.

C Mac D
11-02-2011, 01:21 AM
First flawed assumption: C Mac has no football credentials I am aware of. He is not a successful GM of any football team nor has he ever been. Therefor his statement is a matter of opinion and is not right by default. I have spent this thread putting up sound logic, reason & statistics to back up my statements, at this point he has not.

Um... are you a GM? Yeah, didn't think so.

Pointing to his record is not sound logic, it's being myopic. If you paid attention to his departure, you'd notice his team turned against him: Favre was publicly criticizing his coaching, Harvin practically refused to play for him, Jared Allen didn't stand up for him after he was gone saying he was a "nice guy" but nothing more... I could go on and on.

Listen, I understand you have a myopic point of view and think his record alone (which is mediocre at best) makes him a good coach, however, we do not exist in a vacuum and there were several signs of his lack of coaching abilities. If we were to sit here and explain them to you, it could take all night. Plus I don't have enough construction paper or crayons to present it in a way you'd understand.

highdesertvike
11-02-2011, 01:34 AM
Y'all are goofy. I have a feeling that if you jokers wanted to change a burned out lightbulb, the room it was in would stay dark.....due to all the arguing about how well/poorly the bulb worked previously, how to change it, what kind of bulb to replace it with, and whether or not it needed to be changed in the first place! And in this particular instance...it's a lightbulb that's not even in our house!!! LMAO Love it! :p

My 2 cents? It wasn't even a bulb...it was a candle made outta earwax, and we're basking in the ambience of a cozy 30 watt now...LOL GE...it brings good things to life!

Caine
11-02-2011, 02:37 AM
This topic has had volumes written about it. I, and many others, have chronicled Childress'es failings to the Nth degree on this site. The fact that you (Gift) choose to come back now, at this late hour, and try and gain traction with the "often quoted always defeated" notion that his record alone made him a great coach is not sufficient for me to dig back into the archives and pull up the reams of supporting facts which completely refute and destroy that position. It's been done, repeatedly.

Suffice to say that I do hope Childress gets another HC job as that is one team I will not worry about. Much like I don't worry about Seattle being competitive as long as Darrell Bevell is their OC and Tarvaris Jackson is their QB. If Childress were hired, it wouldn't make me wrong for what I've written in the past, it would make that owner/GM an idiot for ignoring all the failings of Childress' reign, and failing to consider that we are in the position we are in BECAUSE of Childress.

Actually, it's because of Childress and because Zygi Wilf considers himself a "Football guy". Once Zygi wises up and removes himself and his family from the football operations of the VIkings, we'll have a much better shot at long term success.

But, as for Childress, judging this years failure and saying it validates Childress is like claiming that Wall Street and the big banks were right to rip us off all those years because after we caught them, we're STILL not prosperous.

It will take us a couple seasons of excellent drafting and FA acquisition to correct the damage Childress did. Longer if we have bad drafts. We have an O-line to plug, a receiver corps to build, a Secondary to build, and a Linebacker corps to augment. And the QB we have MIGHT be a franchise guy...but we only have 2 games to judge him on - and He was drafted because Childress didn't adress that position with a viable long term candidate.

So, again, in the end I don't care if Childress gets a job elsewhere. He screwed us royally, but he's gone now. He is relegated to a bad memory, like Red *blows goats* McCombs or Troy Williamson. If someone else is dumb enough to take a shot with him, that's on them (Yes, I'm looking at you, Pete Carroll)

Caine

singersp
11-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Bottom line, you can point to whatever you want... if you think Childress deserves a second chance, you're wrong. Go back to watching Sesame Street.

There's a big difference between "deserves another chance" & "gets another chance".

If you think I'm wrong in hoping Childress gets another job, then I disagree with you 100%.

I would love to see McCarthy leave GB & Childress become their HC.

Other than yourself, how many Vikings, Bears or Lions fans can you name that would not like to see that?

battleaxe4cheese
11-02-2011, 09:54 AM
I wouldn't give him another shot based solely on how he handled the Randy debacle. Bye bye third round pick and bye bye receiver you just acquired. What a dunce. Randy obviously pissed him off which isn't a big deal, but he acted like a bald headed teenager surging with emotion and kicked him off the team without thinking logically. I don't fault him for getting mad, I fault him for acting like a whelp running on pure emotion. No room for that in big boy league, especially with all the divas floating around locker rooms, don't need one as head coach.

I wish you well Chilli, just not on this team. May your hair grow back and your KAO flourish on another team. May your consciousness stream to the heavens, may your.........:think:

MulletMullitia
11-02-2011, 09:54 AM
This topic has had volumes written about it. I, and many others, have chronicled Childress'es failings to the Nth degree on this site. The fact that you (Gift) choose to come back now, at this late hour, and try and gain traction with the "often quoted always defeated" notion that his record alone made him a great coach is not sufficient for me to dig back into the archives and pull up the reams of supporting facts which completely refute and destroy that position. It's been done, repeatedly.

Suffice to say that I do hope Childress gets another HC job as that is one team I will not worry about. Much like I don't worry about Seattle being competitive as long as Darrell Bevell is their OC and Tarvaris Jackson is their QB. If Childress were hired, it wouldn't make me wrong for what I've written in the past, it would make that owner/GM an idiot for ignoring all the failings of Childress' reign, and failing to consider that we are in the position we are in BECAUSE of Childress.

Actually, it's because of Childress and because Zygi Wilf considers himself a "Football guy". Once Zygi wises up and removes himself and his family from the football operations of the VIkings, we'll have a much better shot at long term success.

But, as for Childress, judging this years failure and saying it validates Childress is like claiming that Wall Street and the big banks were right to rip us off all those years because after we caught them, we're STILL not prosperous.

It will take us a couple seasons of excellent drafting and FA acquisition to correct the damage Childress did. Longer if we have bad drafts. We have an O-line to plug, a receiver corps to build, a Secondary to build, and a Linebacker corps to augment. And the QB we have MIGHT be a franchise guy...but we only have 2 games to judge him on - and He was drafted because Childress didn't adress that position with a viable long term candidate.

So, again, in the end I don't care if Childress gets a job elsewhere. He screwed us royally, but he's gone now. He is relegated to a bad memory, like Red *blows goats* McCombs or Troy Williamson. If someone else is dumb enough to take a shot with him, that's on them (Yes, I'm looking at you, Pete Carroll)

Caine

Thank you! I never understood the "football guy" BS. What good is an offensive coordinator that doesn't call plays? Not even at the college level, which gave him the resume he needed to join the NFL. He can't call plays, and he isn't a players coach. So what is he? Good question. A career brown noser that rode the coat tails of talented coaches to what looks like an impressive resume . He was our coach for 4 seasons, and I still have no clue what he actually does. Other than blatantly ignoring the future of the franchise and pissing off his locker room.

Traveling_Vike
11-02-2011, 12:42 PM
While I was not quite as harsh on him as some here, IMO Brad Childress was doomed for one very simple reason.

He refused to learn from his mistakes.

Mistakes and emotional reactions can be forgiven if they happen only once. But when they become a pattern, then there is a serious problem.

Until and unless he shows signs of changing that, he should not get another HC job. Maybe let him have a lower level position so that he can prove himself on a non-factor team. He might have a shot with the Dolphins or Rams or Colts, as an assistant. Those staffs are likely to turn over completely after this season.

The record comparison to Belichick is not truly valid. He came into Cleveland with a horrible situation and could not truly improve it. But he learned from the experience and got better when given his second chance in New England, which had, and still has, a world-class organization. Much as I hate them, I have to give them credit for that.

Minnesota, unfortunately, does not have that kind of management or ownership. Not to say that they are horrible like Cleveland was, but they are certainly not up to the level of New England. And Childress had a lot more power here than old Bill had in his first go-round. More power, more responsibility. It went to his head, and he blew it.

It's called the Peter Principle. Any given worker will rise to the level of his incompetence. He made it through his years as an OC because he did not challenge his bosses over his responsibilities. They did the work, and he coasted on the credit. When he finally rose to the top, he had no one to cover for him, and the flaws became glaringly obvious.

Once again, I would not hire him unless he showed some true signs of maturity and growth as a person. But I won't say he'll never deserve another chance. People do change. I just haven't seen any signs that he is willing to do so.

jargomcfargo
11-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Childress wanted to control everything. That trait alone probably did him in. He didn't want anyone to challenge his authority and seemed inflexible.
His version of the WCO was, run,run, throw a check down pass short of the first down marker.

He certainly deserves another chance to coach but I would be surprised if he gets another head coaching job anytime soon.

Truth is however, he would still be the Vikings head coach had he won the superbowl in 2009

Purple Floyd
11-02-2011, 01:37 PM
And Denny Green might be the HC/ GM if he had won the SB in 98 and or 2000. Lol

C Mac D
11-02-2011, 01:45 PM
If you think I'm wrong in hoping Childress gets another job, then I disagree with you 100%.

I would love to see McCarthy leave GB & Childress become their HC.

Touche. Good point.

marstc09
11-02-2011, 04:00 PM
I have never seem so many posts in a row by the same person that where all wrong. Grats!

Who are you again? LOL, Judging by the sign, nobody intelligent.

marstc09
11-02-2011, 04:01 PM
I love when arrogant people are wrong while they talk down to others. :think:

I love when people think they are right while not understanding that it is an opinion.

marstc09
11-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Your trolling is really the only tired tactic on this board. Bring something to the table besides a lame attempt to justify Childress and jackson and I will be all ears.

+1

Traveling_Vike
11-02-2011, 04:17 PM
And Denny Green might be the HC/ GM if he had won the SB in 98 and or 2000. Lol

More's the pity that he didn't. I still believe Denny was the second best coach we have ever had. I'd bring him back in a heartbeat.

jargomcfargo
11-02-2011, 08:19 PM
More's the pity that he didn't. I still believe Denny was the second best coach we have ever had. I'd bring him back in a heartbeat.

Both Denny and Chilly had a team that was good enough to win it all. Each found their own way to keep up a Viking tradition and choke!

Gift
11-02-2011, 09:15 PM
+1do you have an original thought or are your 22000+ post just agreeing with the popular view points?

Seriously when I used to post here a few years ago this place was loaded with people with different view points. Now it seems to be dominated by few bullies, far less activity & very few new faces.

People here seem to have lost an ability for the most part to carry on a rational discussing without resorting to insults & other childish behavior. Caine & Traveling_Vike being the only exceptions in this thread. In short, this is now boring.

V4L
11-02-2011, 09:18 PM
do you have an original thought or are your 22000+ post just agreeing with the popular view points?

Seriously when I used to post here a few years ago this place was loaded with people with different view points. Now it seems to be dominated by few bullies, far less activity & very few new faces.

People here seem to have lost an ability for the most part to carry on a rational discussing without resorting to insults & other childish behavior. Caine & Traveling_Vike being the only exceptions in this thread. In short, this is now boring.

Its why I dont post anymore. Childs play

scottishvike
11-03-2011, 07:25 PM
I hope he does get a second chance at HC, then we find out if he really was as bad as he appeared here, it has the bonus aspect that if he is, it drags another team down. The same logic applied to T-Jack at the start of the season.

marstc09
11-07-2011, 02:58 PM
People here seem to have lost an ability for the most part to carry on a rational discussing without resorting to insults & other childish behavior.

Including you...so leave. You won't be missed.

Marrdro
11-08-2011, 02:14 PM

Fromt he same article:
First, I don't pick and chose. The only one that would think something like that is someone who doesn't (for the most part) take the time to read the link.

Second, your quoting Florio. LOL, how many times have I heard you hack on that cat.

Marrdro
11-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Could it be? Yes...I think it is. The worst post that I have ever read in my entire internet life. On this forum or any other. Wow man. Just wow. In a Caine vs. Marrdro argument, I planned on being Switzerland. But this is just ridiculous. I gotta side with Caine. You're argument is ridiculous. TJ sucks, and always has sucked. Brad Childress was the worst head coach in NFL history. I would rather hand the reigns over to Dave fucking Wannstedt than give Brad Childress another chance here or anywhere else. He is a disgrace to head coaches on any level, and has never earned a single player's respect. With this post, you have lost my remaining respect. Which wasn't really much to begin with. WPOTY. Worst post of the year. Hey, at least you're a nice guy lol. I'll give you that.
Hang around my friend. I've made posts that are alot worse than that one.

I have one for you, who do you think will get a HC job first, the Chiller or the Meathead?

Marrdro
11-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Including you...so leave. You won't be missed.
Who let the Cardinals troll on the site?

Marrdro
11-08-2011, 02:22 PM
do you have an original thought or are your 22000+ post just agreeing with the popular view points?

The quality discussions are still there my friend, you just have to look deep for them.

When the Noodle graced our team with his presence (except for training camps) the "Owned" crowd moved in and not all of them have left yet.

Given time they will. Until then, we just have to have patience, and have good discussions when they can be had.

Marrdro
11-08-2011, 02:23 PM
I would as well my friend.

I still say the biggest mistake we ever made was to not make Denny the GM and promote Tony to HC.

Marrdro
11-08-2011, 02:26 PM
I love when people think they are right while not understanding that it is an opinion.
What, you of the "Right/Wrong" crowd are now trying to say things like its an "Opinion"

......snicker......maybe you are coming around. I take back my "Cardinals Troll" comment.:o

Marrdro
11-08-2011, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't give him another shot based solely on how he handled the Randy debacle. Bye bye third round pick and bye bye receiver you just acquired. What a dunce. Randy obviously pissed him off which isn't a big deal, but he acted like a bald headed teenager surging with emotion and kicked him off the team without thinking logically. I don't fault him for getting mad, I fault him for acting like a whelp running on pure emotion. No room for that in big boy league, especially with all the divas floating around locker rooms, don't need one as head coach.

I wish you well Chilli, just not on this team. May your hair grow back and your KAO flourish on another team. May your consciousness stream to the heavens, may your.........:think:
I can see your point, but I blame him for giving up a 3rd round pick for a cat who couldn't do what they brought him in to do.

Lets not forget, our issue wasn't running a 8 or a 9 route, it was the lack of a big bodied reciever who could out muscle/over power defenders inside the hashes/on the sidelines like Rice could do.

Anybody who thought Randy was gonna come in and fix that problem is just plain crazy.

Hell, I still don't know what happened to our scouting department. Why didn't they atleast say something along the lines of...."He isn't even demading double teams on a 8 and a 9 route anymore". Thats why the Pats let him go for goodness sakes.

i_bleed_purple
11-08-2011, 04:23 PM
First, I don't pick and chose. The only one that would think something like that is someone who doesn't (for the most part) take the time to read the link.

Second, your quoting Florio. LOL, how many times have I heard you hack on that cat.

It's your link.

Caine
11-08-2011, 04:26 PM
I would as well my friend.

I still say the biggest mistake we ever made was to not make Denny the GM and promote Tony to HC.

Except Denny wanted to be both...would have lost Dungy anyway.

marstc09
11-14-2011, 11:11 PM
What, you of the "Right/Wrong" crowd are now trying to say things like its an "Opinion"

......snicker......maybe you are coming around. I take back my "Cardinals Troll" comment.:o

I don't claim to be right. I point out the ridiculousness. Just call me Rob Dyrdek. You just happen to be King Ridiculousness. Maybe that is why you think that.

marstc09
11-14-2011, 11:12 PM
it's your link.

owned :beatupchickensmall:

marstc09
11-14-2011, 11:14 PM
Who let the Cardinals troll on the site?

Who let the Bungals fan in? How soon you forget.

marstc09
11-14-2011, 11:17 PM
When the Noodle graced our team with his presence (except for training camps) the "Owned" crowd moved in and not all of them have left yet.

Given time they will. Until then, we just have to have patience, and have good discussions when they can be had.

Ridiculousness. You forced people away with your noodle crap. I can make a spreadsheet to prove it. Seriously.