PDA

View Full Version : Toby Gerhart might see more carries

singersp
10-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Toby Gerhart might see more carries

Minnesota Vikings team report: Toby Gerhart might see more carries - NFL - Sporting News (http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-10-27/minnesota-vikings-team-report-toby-gerhart-might-see-more-carries)

thorshammer
10-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Probably a good idea to save the wear and tear on AD this year. It would be nice if we could get some balance with Toby and AD.

Purple Floyd
10-29-2011, 11:19 AM
I would love to see a formation with Rudolph and Shank at TE, Sasser at FB and Toby at tailback. Can you imagine the punishment we could put on the LB's and secondary with that group?

Actually that is what I would do against the Packers and run right over Matthews all game until he wore out.

Freakout
10-29-2011, 04:08 PM
What a draft. A woman beating CB and a RB that might see more carries. No wonder our team blows.

jargomcfargo
10-30-2011, 01:01 AM
I would love to see a formation with Rudolph and Shank at TE, Sasser at FB and Toby at tailback. Can you imagine the punishment we could put on the LB's and secondary with that group?

Actually that is what I would do against the Packers and run right over Matthews all game until he wore out.
Guion was the FB on the first TD that AP scored last week. He went to the right to block Matthews but a defensive back got there first so he blocked him instead.

12purplepride28
10-30-2011, 03:40 AM
What a draft. A woman beating CB and a RB that might see more carries. No wonder our team blows.

made me lol

Gift
10-31-2011, 11:42 PM
"Toby Gerhart might see more carries"
...well that sucks

Caine
11-01-2011, 12:09 AM
Actually doesn't suprise me. Toby ran well versus Carolina, and he's been a solid player for us. While he lacks Adrian's break away speed, he's a hard nosed runner.

I'd like to see more combos with Him and Adrian in the backfield simultaneously...keep defenses guessing.

Caine

Traveling_Vike
11-01-2011, 01:35 AM
I agree. Toby has been pretty decent and deserves a few carries. The two RB set also intrigues me.

It isn't really about how much Toby gets the ball. It's all about WHEN. To date, this has not been great. Some of his calls have really had me scratching my head. I'd expect to see him more on first downs later in the game, rather than third. He is a punisher, not a big play guy.

Is there any way we could maybe see Adrian, Toby and Percy all in the same backfield? Talk about your defensive nightmares.

MulletMullitia
11-01-2011, 04:34 AM
This is only to make our offense less predictable, and has nothing to do with the way that Toby is playing. It's also a result of the Percy injury. For instance, whenever we take out AP, the defense automatically knows we are passing. (Ala Brad Childress). If we throw Toby about 5 carries a game or so, it will be a lot less obvious when he comes in to pass block. It won't necessarily take carries away from AP. He will be getting the 3-5 extra carries that Percy has been getting every game this year. We can't afford to run Percy every game with the wear and tear that his body is taking.

singersp
11-01-2011, 08:23 AM
This is only to make our offense less predictable, and has nothing to do with the way that Toby is playing.

I believe it has more to do with saving wear & tear on AD during a season that is already lost.

singersp
11-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Actually doesn't suprise me. Toby ran well versus Carolina, and he's been a solid player for us. While he lacks Adrian's break away speed, he's a hard nosed runner.

I'd like to see more combos with Him and Adrian in the backfield simultaneously...keep defenses guessing.

Caine

I agree with that.

I wanted to see more of AD & CT together in the backfield back when we had them both, but they rarely did.

Gerhart gets more positive yards per carry & what I mean by that is he doesn't lose yards nearly as often as AD does. AD gets caught in the backfield or for no gain or for minimal gain a lot & then breaks one for a huge gain thereby boosting his average. In his first 7 carries last week he had only gained a net of 4 yards.

Also, if the box is going to be stacked with AD in the backfield anyway, might as well add someone back there that can block better than AD, which will like you said, keep them guessing. Especially on 3rd downs.