PDA

View Full Version : Time for a GM

Purple Floyd
10-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Well, we are 1-6, the 5 million dollar QB is on the bench. The team has holes all over the place that need to be filled and we just outright released the second starter this season and another one just got out of jail while we found out we lead the league in arrests during his tenure as owner.And the team is in this stadium situation.

I think it is high time for Ziggy to finally do the right thing and hire an experienced GM and let him start to turn things around. I have zero faith in the current group having the skills and the cahones to do what is necessary to build this team back to respectability.

The time to experiment wit their new toy is over for the Wilfs and now it is time to hire someone who can rebuild the team and take it to the next level. Which at this point might very well be getting to .250.

tastywaves
10-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Well, we are 1-6, the 5 million dollar QB is on the bench. The team has holes all over the place that need to be filled and we just outright released the second starter this season and another one just got out of jail while we found out we lead the league in arrests during his tenure as owner.And the team is in this stadium situation.

I think it is high time for Ziggy to finally do the right thing and hire an experienced GM and let him start to turn things around. I have zero faith in the current group having the skills and the cahones to do what is necessary to build this team back to respectability.

The time to experiment wit their new toy is over for the Wilfs and now it is time to hire someone who can rebuild the team and take it to the next level. Which at this point might very well be getting to .250.

Make it happen mayor. You have my support.

jmcdon00
10-25-2011, 03:34 PM
+1

Purple Floyd
10-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Make it happen mayor. You have my support.

I blogged it. Isn't that the first step to every successful campaign? lol

tastywaves
10-25-2011, 05:26 PM
I blogged it. Isn't that the first step to every successful campaign? lol

Beware the power of the blog.

We could try an Occupy Winter Park campaign.

battleaxe4cheese
10-25-2011, 05:32 PM

If this mediocrity continues much longer, they would welcome that with open arms.

missvikes
10-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Bud Grant? too bad Holmgren has 3 more years in Cleveland

Purple Floyd
10-25-2011, 06:18 PM

Lets do it.

MossMems
10-25-2011, 10:00 PM
We really need a GM. And his name cant be Spielman.

jargomcfargo
10-25-2011, 10:50 PM

This would be a good time for Spielman to move on so I would say the timing is right.

Leslie seems to cleaning the manure out of the barn so I'm not quite sure it's time to give up on him just yet.
McKinnie, Edwards, Farwell, Rice, Jackson, Farve, Cook, Tahi, and Berrian are gone. 8 or 9 more need replaced, and we just might have a pretty good team again.

i_bleed_purple
10-26-2011, 12:27 AM
Within 3 years I expect to see:

EJ
Shank
Sullivan
Asher
Tyrell Johnson

all to be gone. Of course, probably other guys who already struggle to keep a roster spot, but that's just my thought.

Purple Floyd
10-26-2011, 06:49 AM
Within 3 years I expect to see:

EJ
Shank
Sullivan
Asher
Tyrell Johnson

all to be gone. Of course, probably other guys who already struggle to keep a roster spot, but that's just my thought.

Add to that:

Sasser
Hutch
Winfield
Griffin
Kevin Williams
Herrera

purplepat
10-26-2011, 07:15 AM
I disagree. I think Rick Spielman is a fine GM type. Not every move you make is going to be a winner, and I'm sure that the heads thought that starting a rookie QB from day one this season would be equivalent to throwing in the towel. This IS still a talented team, albeit one with several holes that desperately need filling.

We happen to have a lot of vets who are nearing the end of the line of their NFL careers (Kleinsasser, Hutchinson, Winfield, etc.), but the Vikings have done a pretty good job of bringing in youth over the past five years or so (Peterson, Harvin, Greenway, Griffen, Erin Henderson, Rudolph, etc.). We're just going to have to hope that for the most part, they now try to rebuild with youth rather than a bunch of veteran free agents (except possibly for a shutdown corner type).

Purple Floyd
10-26-2011, 07:22 AM
albeit one with several holes that desperately need filling.

Umm. It is his job to build the roster so we don;t have those holes in it.

MossMems
10-26-2011, 05:43 PM
I wish I knew how the Vikings system worked. After Childress left, wasnt it set up so the HC didnt have as much power? Is the VP of Player Personale the same as a GM? What is Studwell's role?

Chazz
10-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Ok, correct me if I'm wrong...Don't AZ, St. Louis, Carolina, Miami, Jacksonville and Indianapolis all have GM's??

Caine
10-26-2011, 10:54 PM
More important than hiring a GM is to remove Zygi and the rest of the Wilfs from Football decision making. No offense intended to Zygi, but he (and Mark, and Leonard) are NOT football guys. Them having an impact on football decisions has lead to poor hiring practices that have in turn lead to poor personel management, and questionable team building efforts.

A GM would effectively remove the Wilfs from Football decision making, and would give us (the fans) a singular point of failure to blame when things don't go well instead of this nebulous "Well, I think THIS guy was responsible for THIS decision, and THAT guy for that decision" we currently are forced to endure.

A GM would also open the door to the hiring of an established HC...which may or may not yield better results than we're currently experiencing.

Bottom line, I endorse the notion of hiring a GM, but I think it starts with firing Mark Wilf (No offense, Mark. You just don't belong making football decisions).

Caine

i_bleed_purple
10-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Add to that:

Sasser
Hutch
Winfield
Griffin
Kevin Williams
Herrera

Bolded ones are probably due to retirement more than simply moving on. Griffin is a good one I missed, he's not going to be back, same with probably Hererra.

Purple Floyd
10-27-2011, 07:00 AM
Ok, correct me if I'm wrong...Don't AZ, St. Louis, Carolina, Miami, Jacksonville and Indianapolis all have GM's??
Correct me if I am wrong but haven't Arizona and Indy been to a SB in the past few years?

Obviously you also want a competent GM and not some schmoe off the street. But I have faith Ziggy will know better than to hire the first guy he interviews.
Oh, wait a minute..............

Chazz
10-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but haven't Arizona and Indy been to a SB in the past few years?

Obviously you also want a competent GM and not some schmoe off the street. But I have faith Ziggy will know better than to hire the first guy he interviews.
Oh, wait a minute..............

They sure have...quick question...Do you think we would've/would be contenders if Manning/Warner were our QB for the last 5-10 years? How are AZ/Indy without said QB's?

If we hire a GM and he's a lemon, it sets us back another 5+ years. If I knew we would get a Ron Wolfe or Ted Thompson type, then I would be all for it. Do you think Zigi is capable of finding and hiring a good competent GM? Good GM's are few and far between and usually only prove to handicap franchises for many years.

I personally don't think we are in all that bad of shape. We have a huge gaping hole at S, a smaller yet significant hole on the OL, a small hole at WR and I choose to believe that our biggest hole has been filled at QB finally *kneels and says a prayer*. If Ponder proves to be our franchise QB and we improve the OL and S in the off-season(draft/free agency), I believe we are SB contenders.