PDA

View Full Version : Looking to the Future: Ponder is the Starter OFFICIALLY

lumberjackgreg
10-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Thank God. It's about time. At least now we have hope to see what we're looking for. A QB who is going to get better over time, not worse with every throw.

I can't wait to see less than 2 skip passes per game this year.

b_sandhar_29
10-18-2011, 01:36 PM
His mobility and pocket presence is what intrigued me... It'll be interesting to see how this affects AP and the run game... Could be good for him with a QB who JUST may be able to throw the ball when there are 9-10 people in the box

josdin00
10-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Here's a link for anyone that's interested:

NFL.com news: Vikings name rookie Ponder starting QB amid 1-5 season (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8233da52/article/vikings-name-rookie-ponder-starting-qb-amid-15-season?module=HP11_headline_stack)

snowinapril
10-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Here's a link for anyone that's interested:

NFL.com news: Vikings name rookie Ponder starting QB amid 1-5 season (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8233da52/article/vikings-name-rookie-ponder-starting-qb-amid-15-season?module=HP11_headline_stack)

Great! Now we get to see if he has any spurts of brilliance in him.

If he doesn't win, maybe we can get set up for Luck if Ponder doesn't show some signs of brilliance.

josdin00
10-18-2011, 01:58 PM
I personally like the move. I don't know if we'll be better with Ponder, but I don't believe we'll be worse. I know McNabb wasn't the whole reason why this team has been struggling, but he was a piece of it, and you can't fix the whole if you don't fix all the pieces.

snowinapril
10-18-2011, 02:07 PM
McNabb seemed to be not wanting to lose the games instead of trying to win them. If he gets out there again, I hope he flings it around, he has nothing to lose.

snowinapril
10-18-2011, 02:11 PM
BTW, our offense is not fooling anyone.

I hope Ponder goes out not afraid to make mistakes, I would rather see him make mistakes than try not to make any.

SCRAP the f***ed-up-wildcat and let the offense attempt to function.

tastywaves
10-18-2011, 02:35 PM
McNabb seemed to be not wanting to lose the games instead of trying to win them. If he gets out there again, I hope he flings it around, he has nothing to lose.

Going up against Green Bay the offense will have to be more aggressive to stay in the game and keep some semblance of a game plan in check.

This will play a bit into GB's hands though I'm afraid. Would have been better against Chicago.

LIVike
10-18-2011, 02:54 PM
Its about time. I cant wait to see what he has in him next week. In the preseason and against the bears he seems to have great awareness. I kept think he was going to get sacked but no he gets away. I agree, I hope he is not afraid to make any mistakes. Also going to be nice not hearing boos after two plays at the dome.

Purple Floyd
10-18-2011, 03:00 PM
I was just getting used to McNabb and now they pull the rug out from under my feet again...........

Formo
10-18-2011, 03:27 PM
I was just getting used to McNabb and now they pull the rug out from under my feet again...........

The life of a Viking fan...

lumberjackgreg
10-18-2011, 03:31 PM
The biggest tipping point for me was on the safety last week. McNabb didn't fight to get out of the endzone. He laid down.

I'm ready to see a kid with heart who will fight tooth and nail to win a game. I know we may not win games, but I don't care who you are- that's fun to watch.

This is a team I spend money to travel to watch. I spend money on hats, jerseys, shirts, gear. I spend money on tickets. This is a product which I support and I would prefer to enjoy seeing the excitement over the ''roll over and give up" approach I believe McNabb brought with him.

MulletMullitia
10-18-2011, 03:36 PM
I was Donovan's last remaining supporter. That being said, I totally agree that this move had to be made. I was with the angry mob at the game screaming for Ponder to go in the game. I really wanted him to be the old McNabb, but that just wasn't the case. I'm very optimistic about Christian, but we HAVE to protect him. I'm really worried that Charlie Johnson is going to get him killed. But here's to hoping that he turns into Steve Young and not Chad Pennington. Skol!

Floyd - you now officially win the bet, and my sig and avy are in your control for the rest of the season, as promised. PM me the image links and I'll change them asap.

jmcdon00
10-18-2011, 03:41 PM
I agree that safety was the straw that broke the camels back, did he even get hit on that play or did he just go down to avoid the hit?

I think our odds of beating the packers are very small, but slightly better without McNabb.

Formo
10-18-2011, 03:42 PM
The biggest tipping point for me was on the safety last week. McNabb didn't fight to get out of the endzone. He laid down.

I'm ready to see a kid with heart who will fight tooth and nail to win a game. I know we may not win games, but I don't care who you are- that's fun to watch.

This is a team I spend money to travel to watch. I spend money on hats, jerseys, shirts, gear. I spend money on tickets. This is a product which I support and I would prefer to enjoy seeing the excitement over the ''roll over and give up" approach I believe McNabb brought with him.

I was 95% over him by that play. But as soon as I saw that, I walked away from the TV and was officially done with McNabb. This is the NFL. You do NOT lay down in your own end zone. EVER.

After walking away from the TV, I played about 5, 30 minute games of football with a bunch of buddies in a round robin tournament. We ended up 4-1 and our loss was to the unbeaten champion team. My body (namely my knees and legs) was pissed at me yesterday for it, and even after 14 hours of manual labor yesterday, I still say it was worth it vs. watching the joke of a performance our favorite NFL team put in front of us on Sunday.

battleaxe4cheese
10-18-2011, 05:14 PM
Thank God. I like Donny but at this point he's not doing us any good and the season is over. Ponder might not do that great but he's green. The nice thing is he only has up to go and not down like Donny.

Purple Floyd
10-18-2011, 05:32 PM
I was Donovan's last remaining supporter. That being said, I totally agree that this move had to be made.
Floyd - you now officially win the bet, and my sig and avy are in your control for the rest of the season, as promised. PM me the image links and I'll change them asap.

Like most Vilings fans you have had enough embarrassment and pain so I am not going to hold you to the entire bet. But I do have a plate of crow image that you can put on your profile for a week or so just to remember my friend. You have been a good sport through it all.

MulletMullitia
10-18-2011, 08:02 PM
Like most Vilings fans you have had enough embarrassment and pain so I am not going to hold you to the entire bet. But I do have a plate of crow image that you can put on your profile for a week or so just to remember my friend. You have been a good sport through it all.

You've been a great sport too brother! I appreciate it. I'm really glad we made the bet, because it motivated me to stay active here.

Vikestand
10-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Four sacks on the last six plays for McNugget I believe, some his and some the OL's fault. But the guy moved as fast as a one legged dog on a squirrel farm...Can't wait to see the young'n

i_bleed_purple
10-18-2011, 08:14 PM
I was Donovan's last remaining supporter. That being said, I totally agree that this move had to be made. I was with the angry mob at the game screaming for Ponder to go in the game. I really wanted him to be the old McNabb, but that just wasn't the case. I'm very optimistic about Christian, but we HAVE to protect him. I'm really worried that Charlie Johnson is going to get him killed. But here's to hoping that he turns into Steve Young and not Chad Pennington. Skol!

hey now, The bet was McNabb will lead the team to playoffs, there's still a remote chance.

Remember, after all, the TJ jock-sniffers still give TJ credit for "Leading" the vikings to the playoffs in 08.

CbusVikefan
10-18-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm sinnnnnging in the rain, just singing in the rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously though, at least the unknown factor is going to be exciting. Like opening up that great big box under the Christmas tree.

MulletMullitia
10-18-2011, 09:09 PM

Because you're being so cool about this, I added a personal message under my signature that I will leave up for the rest of the season. I will eat my crow on this one!

IBP - I officially concede the bet, no matter what. Under a fluke chance that we did make the playoffs, I wouldn't give McNabb credit for it.

Purple Floyd
10-18-2011, 09:15 PM
Because you're being so cool about this, I added a personal message under my signature that I will leave up for the rest of the season. I will eat my crow on this one!

IBP - I officially concede the bet, no matter what. Under a fluke chance that we did make the playoffs, I wouldn't give McNabb credit for it.

Lol

Good humor.

I sent you an avatar that is fairly tame. Maybe just pop it for 50 posts or so and call it good sir.

MulletMullitia
10-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Lol

Good humor.

I sent you an avatar that is fairly tame. Maybe just pop it for 50 posts or so and call it good sir.

You got it! It's up. This is post 1 of 50. 650 ends the avatar. But the message is staying up until the Super Bowl. Which ironically is in my hometown of Indianapolis this year.

Purple Floyd
10-18-2011, 09:27 PM
You got it! It's up. This is post 1 of 50. 650 ends the avatar. But the message is staying up until the Super Bowl. Which ironically is in my hometown of Indianapolis this year.

You wear it well.:rofl:

Just to make it fair and fun I will throw up the McChunky avatar in mine for the same time.

ThorSPL
10-18-2011, 10:26 PM
Well done boys.... way to honor it!

Traveling_Vike
10-18-2011, 11:55 PM
Nice to see that good sportsmanship is still alive and well here on PP.O.

As for the actual subject of this thread, I still think this is a mistake. It's another example of a weak coach caving in to the demands of the fans (and possibly the owners). It's not really the change I object to, but the timing.

McNabb had arguably his best game so far with the Vikings. Highest completion percentage and QBR. Only the yardage total was low, and I'm not sure how much of that is actually on him. He wasn't pulled for performance, he was sent to the bench in order to get Ponder some reps in a real, already lost game, in garbage time. That's why this decision puzzles me so much.

The Packers are the worst possible opponent to throw the rookie in against for his first start. They are the only undefeated team left in the league, and certainly one of the best out there. I'd much rather see the kid get his first start against a weaker opponent. I would hope that nobody told him that he was expected to win this game all by himself.

Despite all of that, however, I am 100% behind Ponder and will be rooting hard for his success. I want him to be great just as much as anyone else here. I just worry that he might get hurt behind this porous O-line that we have, or trying to be a hero on a scramble. If he does go down, we are much worse off than if we had held on with McNabb for one more week. The game will most likely be another loss anyway, whichever of them got the nod.

But I'll still be hoping for a miracle.

singersp
10-19-2011, 06:53 AM
Like I said, when Momma McNabb gets up & walks out on her son, it's time for the Vikings to switch QB's.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/singersp82759/Mom_McNabb.jpg

singersp
10-19-2011, 07:56 AM
While I agree with the move, why announce it to the world? Especially Packer nation.

I would have stated McNabb was starting & let the Packers believe it, then march Ponder out on Sunday.

Of course, that would have required thought on Frazier's part.

Purple Floyd
10-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Frazier said on Monday that they would watch film, talk it over and make an announcement on Wednesday but then it got announced on Tuesday which begs the question: what changed?

Was the film that decisive?
Was there a call from the players to make the change sooner so they could get more reps together?
Did the owner or FO sit down with Leslie and make a strong suggestion?

Inquiring minds want to know

purplepat
10-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Call me among those who thought it was a good idea to roll the dice with McNabb...and we came up craps.

I kinda doubt starting Ponder from day 1 would have netted the Vikings a playoff berth. If that's a fact (despite how much I HATE losing), it doesn't matter much that he didn't start before now. He'll still get roughly a season of seasoning, and hopefully the long term outlook at QB for this team will start to look upward.

singersp
10-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Frazier said on Monday that they would watch film, talk it over and make an announcement on Wednesday but then it got announced on Tuesday which begs the question: what changed?

Was the film that decisive?
Was there a call from the players to make the change sooner so they could get more reps together?
Did the owner or FO sit down with Leslie and make a strong suggestion?

Inquiring minds want to know

Frazier read PP.O

singersp
10-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Frazier said on Monday that they would watch film, talk it over and make an announcement on Wednesday

Frazier: Hey McCarthy! Stop preparing your defensive strategy around McNabb. I'm going to start Ponder instead. So start preparing your defense to go after my rookie QB, OK?

Just wanted to let you know 6 days in advance.

Purple Floyd
10-19-2011, 09:13 AM
Frazier read PP.O

If he read PP.O then he would have read my posts before they got McChunky and we wouldn't be in this mess.