PDA

View Full Version : The Official Ponder Watch Thread

12purplepride28
10-17-2011, 11:22 AM
He made his debut last night and IMO he looked great for the situation he was in. Our OL was down to 5 healthy people, AP didn't got pulled after a couple plays, and he had some throws called back due to holding. I think he has a very bright future with the Vikings and I am sick of seeing Mcnabb at QB. Ponder looked crisp on his throws, mobile, and seemed to move the ball well.

People that say that he might "not be ready" should look at Dalton and Newton. I don't think there's a better way for preparing someone for the NFL than starting him.

In a time where the Vikings are in desperate need of a stadium, Ponder is the right choice. Our season is over and we need to get him some experience for next year. I'm 100% on board with starting Ponder from here on out.

El Vikingo
10-17-2011, 11:45 AM
He should have been our starter since day one,it is pretty clear Mcnabb came here for the pay-check,this bum hasnt ever given a shit about this team...

Purple Floyd
10-17-2011, 11:51 AM
I have done a 180 and now want to see McNabb for the rest of the season. It was not clear to me at the beginning of the season but now I understand how his maturity, talent and leadership were just what the team needed and changing that now would damage the team and stunt the development of Ponder, who was clearly floundering last night when they threw him to the wolves.

McNabb is the only QB who can go against the Packers next week and give us any shot at being in the game.

battleaxe4cheese
10-17-2011, 11:53 AM
McOnehopper says that he's positive he's starting next week so if that's any consolation to anyone.

El Vikingo
10-17-2011, 11:58 AM
McNabb is the only QB who can go against the Packers next week and give us any shot at being in the game.

Don believe everything your wife tells you.....

well except for the small penis old stuff she always complaints bout

Purple Floyd
10-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Don believe everything your wife tells you.....

well except for the small penis old stuff she always complaints bout

My wife? Your mother tells me I am WAY better than you are.

12purplepride28
10-17-2011, 12:06 PM
I have done a 180 and now want to see McNabb for the rest of the season. It was not clear to me at the beginning of the season but now I understand how his maturity, talent and leadership were just what the team needed and changing that now would damage the team and stunt the development of Ponder, who was clearly floundering last night when they threw him to the wolves.

Actually, this post makes a lot of sense. McNabb isn't the problem. I think we need to get Gerhart to get more playing time. AP obviously sucks as evidenced by his 3 YPC. GERHART AND MCNABB GERHART AND MCNABB

Gift
10-17-2011, 12:17 PM
This thread is dead on but does not go far enough as there is still a move we have to make . Can you image if we get all our stars on the field at once?

Mcnabb + Gerhart + Berrian + Troy Williamson = Unstoppable.

Purple Floyd
10-17-2011, 12:22 PM
This thread is dead on but does not go far enough as there is still a move we have to make . Can you image if we get all our stars on the field at once?

If you are going that far then we better get Smoot back on defense too.

El Vikingo
10-17-2011, 12:31 PM
My wife? Your mother tells me I am WAY better than you are.

My mother? lol you better focus on your wife first ..she is a nice and funny woman ,last time she told me a joke I almost fall from bed cause of the laughs...

12purplepride28
10-17-2011, 12:59 PM

Can Les Steckle coach for that team?

Btw, nice sig. Although I'll forever be bitter about it :mad:

Edit: Just saw you give me credit in another thread. I'm not actually mad about it as I think it's a great sig you made and I have 0% experience with any photo editing software. I have no actual hard feelings about this, just jokin around. I do enjoy the sig a lot though.

Traveling_Vike
10-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Not this week.

My opinion, you don't send the kid in for his first NFL start against (and it pains me to say this) the best team in the league. Give him some practice reps so he is ready to come in in relief.

Let McNabb play one more game, against teh Packers, and then bring in Ponder for the Panthers game, unless Donovan really lights it up. Which he probably won't.

bleedpurple
10-17-2011, 02:07 PM
why the heck not!??? if you don't to throw ponder to the wolves against division rival then he's not the QB we thought when we drafted him... We play them twice a year.. you start the kid for goodness sake.. take the kid gloves off and play him... Cam Newton saw them in his second career game and played well. I wish they'd stop babying ponder and play him. He was a first round pick for goodness sake... Plus, Andy Dalton is playing quite well down in cincy.

Purple Floyd
10-17-2011, 02:12 PM
I think it might be the best thing long term to let Ponder play. The Packers are as big a rival as he is going to ever have with the Vikings and getting his butt kicked by them right out the gate should light a fire under his butt to make sure it never happens again.

Then again, if he for some reason drives the team to a victory then that game might be the launching pad for his career.

bleedpurple
10-17-2011, 02:15 PM
plus it's a home game.... play the boy!!

missvikes
10-17-2011, 04:31 PM
We will find out Wednesday when Frazier announces who he's going to have start on Sunday!

Purple Floyd
10-17-2011, 04:36 PM
I just have to wonder who the heck is going to block because we sure don't look like we have enough of them as it stands.

The OL looked suspect through the whole Chilly era and in response this staff has actually took a bad situation and made it worse. Then again they went from an old retread QB and got worse there too.

marshallvike
10-17-2011, 05:03 PM
why the heck not!??? if you don't to throw ponder to the wolves against division rival then he's not the QB we thought when we drafted him... We play them twice a year.. you start the kid for goodness sake.. take the kid gloves off and play him... Cam Newton saw them in his second career game and played well. I wish they'd stop babying ponder and play him. He was a first round pick for goodness sake... Plus, Andy Dalton is playing quite well down in cincy.

Why not?

Johnson Hutchinson Sullivan Herrera Loadholt Shiancoe

Now add Musgrave to that.

If all that doesn't scare you, nothing will.

jargomcfargo
10-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Jason Campbell is out for the season. If we could deal McNabb to Oakland and get a cheese sandwich for him, I say do it and start Ponder.
Doubt the thought even occured to Spielman.

tastywaves
10-17-2011, 05:31 PM
You can put me in the start Ponder group.

Before this week, not so much, but at this point I think it makes a lot of sense. I'm not worried about him getting clobbered by Green Bay from a psychological or physiological basis. Expectation is for the team to get routed and it's not like they have the most feared defense in the league. So in both cases it's not the worst of situations, plus it's at home, although it probably won't feel like it :( There is a fair amount of upside that can come from it as well if Ponder has a decent showing.

At this point, I think Ponder may even give us a better chance to win and will probably give the team and fanbase a bit of a lift.

Purple Floyd
10-17-2011, 05:50 PM
If they start Ponder now it is going to screw McNabbs chances to take us to the playoffs and the SB this year. No need to rush things.

Johnson14
10-17-2011, 05:58 PM
I am not in the "play Ponder now" group, not at all.

Hated the massive reach we took to get him.

If we are looking to change and who gives the team the best chance to win, then it has to be Webb, it is criminal he is our #3 right now. Don't get me wrong, Webb isn't the franchise qb either, but he is a damn site better qb right now than Ponder, so the best chance to win line cant be used if they play Ponder, as it simply wouldn't be true.

IF Ponder is the starter then of course I back him fully and hope he proves me wrong. :)

Purple Floyd
10-17-2011, 06:06 PM
I am not in the "play Ponder now" group, not at all.

Hated the massive reach we took to get him.

If we are looking to change and who gives the team the best chance to win, then it has to be Webb, it is criminal he is our #3 right now. Don't get me wrong, Webb isn't the franchise qb either, but he is a damn site better qb right now than Ponder, so the best chance to win line cant be used if they play Ponder, as it simply wouldn't be true.

IF Ponder is the starter then of course I back him fully and hope he proves me wrong. :)

You just like him because of his jersey number.:haha:

MindCrimes67
10-17-2011, 08:20 PM
It is time for Ponder for sure. Why would you not play him?? How many other rookies are starting? McNabb does not care about this team. Play the man you drafted in first round. IMHO..

vikinggreg
10-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Let the Packers feast on McChunky....the cholesterol may have some effect on Raj in the long run and Clay Matthews might get hit in the ankle with a Donny skipper pass, Ponder can allows come in later in the second half. Then look at starting Ponder against the Panthers and it will give him some extra stuff to work on over the bye week.

battleaxe4cheese
10-17-2011, 09:51 PM
Play him now.

i_bleed_purple
10-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Play him now.

but today's monday?

Gift
10-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Of course you play ponder, there is no reason not to. Best chance to win (like that matters), we need to see what we have etc..

i_bleed_purple
10-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Of course you play ponder, there is no reason not to. Best chance to win (like that matters), we need to see what we have etc..

Couldn't disagree more.

McNabb gives us the best chance to win, but at this point, if you start ponder, it's not to win, it's to get him started as the starting QB.

If we start Ponder, we have to commit to him. Can't start him, watch him suck and stick McNabb back in. Ride it out all the way.

I still feel McNabb gives us the best chance this weekend. His throws were much better vs. the Bears. Much more accurate, made more throws. Had a couple poor throws, but so does everyone. He was not the reason we lost. The blocking was absolutely pathetic, our DL couldn't pressure-crack an iphone screen, Griffin couldn't cover Pat Williams on a go-route, Even our kickers couldn't do anything. return game was brutal, coverage game sucked. Our run game was non-existant. the ONLY big runs came with Ponder while the D was in soft deep coverage since they were up 4 TD's.

So no, in short, I don't think Ponder looked better than McNabb did. He made some great throws, but the coverage wasn't exactly tight, and when they blitzed him, he didn't do anything. Lucky he's fast or he would have gotten sacked about 3-4 times.

Gift
10-17-2011, 10:01 PM
@ i_bleed_purple

I don't agree with your conclusion but not my point. My point is that I don't care if we win this year. We are not going to the playoffs, we would only be losing draft position with each win. I'm not saying lose on purpose but why not prepare for a serious run next year by getting ponder real game xp.

CbusVikefan
10-17-2011, 10:40 PM
What's with all of this backpeddling all of the sudden? Has anyone watched McWormburner? IMO, McStinky DOES NOT give us the best chance to win. He gives us the best chance to lose. McLoser has tarnished this team. Throw the kid to the wolves and see what kind of moxie he has. With the Packers pass rush, we need someone who is mobile and can shift in the pocket, not minus the F in the pocket.

jargomcfargo
10-17-2011, 11:16 PM
LMAO! Best chance to win.
McNabb is 1-5.
Time to quit wasting time with retreads and start the future now.

i_bleed_purple
10-17-2011, 11:26 PM
LMAO! Best chance to win.
McNabb is 1-5.
Time to quit wasting time with retreads and start the future now.

And Ponder has thrown for exactly 0 touchdowns and contributed zero points towards last weeks game.

If they want to win (they do), they'll go with McNabb.

If they throw in the towel and play for next year, they'll go with Ponder.

No team is eveer going to throw the season after week 5. We'll see McNabb out there for one more chance, because he actually played alright last week.

Gift
10-17-2011, 11:48 PM
throw in the towel, fat lady is singing and whatever other metaphors you can think of. Do you honestly think that this team can make a 10 game run? 10-0? 9-1? really?

THIS SEASON IS OVER!
sorry. Ponder time.

i_bleed_purple
10-17-2011, 11:53 PM
throw in the towel, fat lady is singing and whatever other metaphors you can think of. Do you honestly think that this team can make a 10 game run? 10-0? 9-1? really?

THIS SEASON IS OVER!
sorry. Ponder time.

No, I don't, but no team is going to throw in the towel this early. Evidently you didn't play sports at a competitive level if you think that's something a team is willing to do.

Gift
10-17-2011, 11:58 PM
No, I don't, but no team is going to throw in the towel this early. Evidently you didn't play sports at a competitive level if you think that's something a team is willing to do.I never said throw in the towel, I said throw in the future. Which is also our "best chance to win now" in my opinion. On top of that it would be nice to generate some excitement & interest if we want to get a stadium deal done. McNabb generates only disdain from the fan base.

Secondly, Is High school a competitive level?

i_bleed_purple
10-18-2011, 12:07 AM
I never said throw in the towel, I said throw in the future. Which is also our "best chance to win now" in my opinion. On top of that it would be nice to generate some excitement & interest if we want to get a stadium deal done. McNabb generates only disdain from the fan base.

Secondly, Is High school a competitive level?

Really?

THIS SEASON IS OVER!
sorry. Ponder time.

jargomcfargo
10-18-2011, 12:23 AM
If they want to win (they do), they'll go with McNabb.

McNabb did win one, can't dispute that.
Damn Ponder didn't score any points in two whole series.
You do realize they would have likely scored field goals on each of Ponders drives had it been earlier in the game.

i_bleed_purple
10-18-2011, 12:27 AM
McNabb did win one, can't dispute that.
Damn Ponder didn't score any points in two whole series.
You do realize they would have likely scored field goals on each of Ponders drives had it been earlier in the game.

You do realize that the bears wouldn't have played a soft shell defense designed to give up short gains but keep us from making a big play and potentially mounting a miracle comeback if Ponders drives had been earlier in the game right?

I give Ponder credit for doing decently with what he was given, but lets not kid ourself, the underneath routes were there, the screens and flats were there. When they blitzed him, he had to run, he didn't read and make them pay, he ran, escaped a sack then either scrambled for yards, or threw the ball away.

Stick Ponder in at the beginning of the game and I'm fully confident he'd walk (or not) away with two broken femurs and three dislocated shoulders. (yes, our OL is that bad a single QB might be able to accomplish that behind it).

jkjuggalo
10-18-2011, 01:46 AM
You do realize that the bears wouldn't have played a soft shell defense designed to give up short gains but keep us from making a big play and potentially mounting a miracle comeback if Ponders drives had been earlier in the game right?

I give Ponder credit for doing decently with what he was given, but lets not kid ourself, the underneath routes were there, the screens and flats were there. When they blitzed him, he had to run, he didn't read and make them pay, he ran, escaped a sack then either scrambled for yards, or threw the ball away.

Stick Ponder in at the beginning of the game and I'm fully confident he'd walk (or not) away with two broken femurs and three dislocated shoulders. (yes, our OL is that bad a single QB might be able to accomplish that behind it).

This.

I'd much rather McNabb start this week against the Packers then risk bruising Ponder's body or confidence. Why start Ponder against *holding back vomit* the best team in the NFL right now?

Let McNabb take one last shot. When he fails miserably, let Ponder start against Carolina. That gives the coaching staff the bye week to check out the Carolina tape before throwing Ponder out there against the Packers. In theory, the OL should be playing better after a couple more games too.

It's hard to feel optimistic about the Vikings right now, but I do like the little I've seen of Ponder this week and in the preseason. He reminds me a lot of Steve Young with the scrambling ability and his quick, accurate release. Let's not allow the Packers to tee off on our young QB just yet.

Purple Floyd
10-18-2011, 08:00 AM
Good god, Is Ponder made of China? If he is going to get a bruised ego playing the Packers then they need to cut him right now but that thought is crazy. But not as crazy as the thought that McChunky gives us the best chance to lose. Ponder at least gives us hope because he is an unknown and may surprise us and do something great. McChunky is what he is and if he can't even complete a short pass in the flat he is of no use to us unless the goal is a top draft pick.

singersp
10-18-2011, 08:03 AM
If you are going that far then we better get Smoot back on defense too.

No need. We have hop-a-long Griffin.

Purple Floyd
10-18-2011, 08:07 AM
Smoot still has 2 knees

singersp
10-18-2011, 08:18 AM
When Momma McNabb walks out on her son, it's time to change QB's.

Personally, I think I'd go with Webb against GB & give Ponder the time during the bye week to work with the first team & get in sync with the receivers.

If they want to win, they should be practicing & fixing problems during those two weeks.

Gift
10-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Good god, Is Ponder made of China? If he is going to get a bruised ego playing the Packers then they need to cut him right now but that thought is crazy. But not as crazy as the thought that McChunky gives us the best chance to lose. Ponder at least gives us hope because he is an unknown and may surprise us and do something great. McChunky is what he is and if he can't even complete a short pass in the flat he is of no use to us unless the goal is a top draft pick.Agree with everything you said (minus the name calling, his momma might be reading).

jargomcfargo
10-18-2011, 12:51 PM

O-line is bad, no doubt. Sullivan was terrible.

Ever since Peterson showed up, it has always been the same thing.
Teams stack the box and play the run.
The only time the coaches ever found an answer was when they had a QB who could move the team by passing.
That was Favre in '09 and to a lesser extent, Gus.

McNabb was brought in with the thought that they could hand the ball to AD and convert third downs passing when that failed.

Well, McNabb can't deliver and is terrible on third down. So after all this time we have a new head coach and offensive coordinator with the same old problem.

McNabb is not the guy.

It's time to find the QB that can pass well enough to convert with his arm when AD is stopped.

Webb or Ponder, I don't care.

But Ponder did have an impressive third down completion performance in mop up duty.

I doubt Leslie will bench McNabb given the fact he stuck with an old broken down Favre at the end of last season by saying the same thing, "He gives us the best chance to win'.

Freakout
10-18-2011, 01:06 PM
I am still trying to figure out the soft defense they supposedly used against Ponder. They blitzed him 7 times.

idahovikefan7
10-18-2011, 01:58 PM
JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
Vikings are changing QBs. Leslie Frazier has made the change and notified those involved. Christian Ponder takes over as starter

via twitter

Purple Floyd
10-18-2011, 02:02 PM
I am still trying to figure out the soft defense they supposedly used against Ponder. They blitzed him 7 times.

The rabbits are trying to throw off the scent but apparently the Fox isn't fooled by it at all.

Johnson14
10-18-2011, 05:22 PM
You just like him because of his jersey number.:haha:

:rofl: very good!!