PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Lloyd might look good in purple & gold

mountainviking
10-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Broncos put Brandon Lloyd on the trading block | ProFootballTalk (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/13/broncos-puts-brandon-lloyd-on-the-trading-block/)

Rumor has it they're considering something between a third and fifth round draft pick. I wouldn't give a third, but a pair of 5s or maybe a 4th could be a steal. He's shown he can get open deep and catch the jump ball, and he seems to be a team first type of guy too. Basically, would fill one of our biggest needs as a solid deep threat for a mid-round draft pick that would be a much bigger gamble if spent on any rookie.

It still leaves the OL as our biggest need, but eliminates at least one...? I guess the big question would be, "how much money does he think he earned by leading the league in receiving last year?!??"

i_bleed_purple
10-14-2011, 10:33 AM
I don't know. At this point, any help is good help, but is he a one-year wonder?

He has the skills, but until last year he's done nothing as a pro. I'd gladly give up a 5 for him, good risk/reward, but I have a feeling it'll cost more than that.

kevoncox
No thanks.
He's older, and has been consistent only 1 year. Wrs take time to gel with QBs. It makes no sense to do this at this time.

12purplepride28
Tom Pelissero keeps saying that we won't play "rent-a-player" with a 30 year old guy while we're rebuilding, but I disagree with him. I think that having a proven WR like that would definitely help Ponder when he inevitably goes in. I'd say throw in Berrian with a 5th but they would probably ask for a 1st if we made them take Berrian. So just trade AP for him.

i_bleed_purple
10-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Tom Pelissero keeps saying that we won't play "rent-a-player" with a 30 year old guy while we're rebuilding, but I disagree with him. I think that having a proven WR like that would definitely help Ponder when he inevitably goes in. I'd say throw in Berrian with a 5th but they would probably ask for a 1st if we made them take Berrian. So just trade AP for him.

Spoken like a man who understands the business.

AP for Lloyd, straight up. They get a RB they need, we get a WR we need. We have Gerhart after all, we're set for another 6 years.

Braddock
10-14-2011, 11:13 AM
No thanks.
...Wrs take time to gel with QBs. ...

Like it took Harvin, Rice, and Shiancoe to bond with Favre..... /sarcasm

battleaxe4cheese
10-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Can't afford him. I'd rather have a young guy. We need some youth and need to get from retreads.

i_bleed_purple
10-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Like it took Harvin, Rice, and Shiancoe to bond with Favre..... /sarcasm

not sure if that was sarcasm, but it did take time.

Remember the first 3 games? receivers running their routes differently then Favre expected, mis-timed throws, they went heavy on the run game, and things only really picked up after Lewis caught that miracle game-winner vs. the 9ers.

mrhurriicane
10-14-2011, 11:26 AM
B Lloyd catches pretty much everything. We need a guy like that if we have Chunky Soup as a qb. This would also make it easier for Bernard Berrian to stay off the field.

By the way, that whole "it takes time to gel with a qb" talk is so overplayed. Sure building chemistry helps but does it honestly matter with the guy we have chucking soup cans all over the field?

i_bleed_purple
10-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Can't afford him. I'd rather have a young guy. We need some youth and need to get from retreads.

I agree, but also disagree.

I see WR as a position you can get away with having vets at. yeah, it's better to have home-grown talent that you can groom to be a playmaker for 10 years, but that just doesn't always happen. Right now we have Harvin, and that's it. Our second best WR is a "retread" in jenkins. I've got hopes for Aromashodu, but for now, we need SOMETHING. A good vet might be just what McNaabb needs. He seems to do alright with Jenkins. nothing huge, but when he needs a throw, Jenkins is there. Lloyd could be another one of those guys. Very least, he's a rotation for Jenkins, as they both play a similar role. Bigger possession guys, leave Mush and Berrian on the other side to stretch the field with Harvin in the slot and Shank/ol' rednose (Oh god I'm turning into Marty :haha: ) at end. It's a rotation that shows promise.

Mr Anderson
10-14-2011, 12:05 PM
He's always made spectacular catches, which makes him an appealing target, but he lacks size and speed and has never consistently produced until 2010.

A guy who ran 4.6 at 6'0" 190 at 22 isn't worth blowing a draft pick on at 30. 5th or above I'd be cool with. But bringing in a guy like him mid-season doesn't seem worth it at any price higher than that.

Purple Floyd
10-14-2011, 12:43 PM
We can't keep throwing future picks away to try and get a serviceable starter. We burned a 3rd to get Moss, at least a 6th to get McChunky and we also traded picks to get some of the guys who are starting right now including Allen and Gerhart if I am not mistaken and we burned picks on TJ and Cook. All of those pick may not have yielded starters but certainly you are trading away a good shot at depth and keeping the salary cap at a manageable level.

tastywaves
10-14-2011, 02:52 PM
He's always made spectacular catches, which makes him an appealing target, but he lacks size and speed and has never consistently produced until 2010.

A guy who ran 4.6 at 6'0" 190 at 22 isn't worth blowing a draft pick on at 30. 5th or above I'd be cool with. But bringing in a guy like him mid-season doesn't seem worth it at any price higher than that.

Sounds eerily familiar to another guy currently wearing purple.

battleaxe4cheese
10-14-2011, 06:48 PM
I agree, but also disagree.

I see WR as a position you can get away with having vets at. yeah, it's better to have home-grown talent that you can groom to be a playmaker for 10 years, but that just doesn't always happen. Right now we have Harvin, and that's it. Our second best WR is a "retread" in jenkins. I've got hopes for Aromashodu, but for now, we need SOMETHING. A good vet might be just what McNaabb needs. He seems to do alright with Jenkins. nothing huge, but when he needs a throw, Jenkins is there. Lloyd could be another one of those guys. Very least, he's a rotation for Jenkins, as they both play a similar role. Bigger possession guys, leave Mush and Berrian on the other side to stretch the field with Harvin in the slot and Shank/ol' rednose (Oh god I'm turning into Marty :haha: ) at end. It's a rotation that shows promise.

The only thing Berrian stretches is his hamstrings. Oh...and his arm to collect his big payday from the Vikes.

HEY
10-14-2011, 07:20 PM
NB: I posted this in another thread, but later realized that it fits much better in this thread.

With Lorenzo Booker emerging I feel the team can afford letting Toby Gerhart go to another team by a trade and be the workhouse runningback as he really is. Gerhart is young (24), was drafted in the 2nd round and we could maybe receive a 4th round pick in extension for him.

Wait a second! the Denver Broncos got a bad running game right? Maybe we could trade Gerhart for Brandon Loyd (and possible get something extra on the side) .... Would love to have a pair of great hands on the team again.

It would be a win-win situation for both teams.

Why the vikings don't need Gerhart:The Vikings have a crowded backfield, so letting Gerhart go will lead to more playing time for Lorenzo Booker which is honestly a better and more exciting scenario in my opinion: Booker compliment Adrian Peterson better than Gerhart because Booker's clear strength is Peterson's biggest weakness - the passing game. Don't get me wrong, I like Gerhart, but I like Booker perhaps more. He's like Percy Harvin's twin... just not that good.

Why the Broncos don't need Brandon Lloyd: The Broncos have a crowded receiving corp with talented Demaryius Thomas and top WR Eddie Royal coming back from injury after this week's bye, in addition to Eric Decker who already has 4 TD's this season and leading the team in receptions.

Why the Vikings could need Brandon Loyd: At the running back position, the Vikes have the least of worry than any other team. The receiver position is however a whole other story. Lloyd is a Pro Bowler who makes some of the most incredible spectacular catches.

Why the Broncos could need Toby Gerhart: Same as the Vikings' situation, but exchange RB and WR with each other. The Broncos running attack is one of the worst in the NFL. Knowshon Moreno has been a bit of a disappointed considering he was drafted 12th overall. He's the same age as Gerhart and has been criticized for running weak, something Gerhart never has.

Not saying I would do it in a heart beat, but simply airing it out there.